Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mark Frechette

Have we ever discussed his strange story? One of the most handsome men ever on film, yet nearly forgotten today.

Supposedly he was discovered when a scout for Michelangelo Antonioni saw him screaming at someone on the street in Boston -- "He's 20 and he hates," she told the director, and Mark was cast in the lead of Antonioni's new counterculture youth picture "Zabriskie Point." It was a critical and commercial failure but he got lots of attention.

Mark lived in a cult/commune and a few years later robbed a bank (this was around the time of the Symbionese Liberation Army). He was sent to prison, where he was found dead at 27 with a 150-pound barbell on his neck. Still lots of questions about his death -- and his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 3:12 PM

He's the subject of a chapter in the new book Astral Weeks: A Secret History of 1968, authored by Ryan Walsh, profiled in the Sunday Times's Book Review section.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2018 1:17 PM

Well he sure was good looking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2018 1:45 PM

Zabriskie Point is laughably bad, and the two stars are laughably bad in it. That might explain their lack of subsequent careers as actors.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2018 1:48 PM

Any relation to Peter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2018 2:08 PM

r2 I love Films and Filming magazine. It was so obviously made by gay men and aimed at gay men.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2018 2:11 PM

Loved his long legs in Zazbriskie Point.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2018 2:13 PM

Best part of Zabriskie Point is the hippie orgy in the dirt of Death Valley.

Though I also love it when the empty-headed heroine Daria Halperin blows up materialistic Rod Taylor’s Frank Lloyd Wright house at the end. I remember a slow-mo shot of a refrigerator, packed with food, exploding.

(Yes, THAT Rod Taylor, already on the skids of a previously promising movie career.)

Too bad about Mr. Frechette. He was much better looking than Ms. Halperin. But he clearly had other interests than a movie career. Don’t think either of them was in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2018 2:39 PM

Mark died in 1975 when he was only 27 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2018 2:46 PM

In ya go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2018 2:50 PM

From the movie Many Wars Ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2018 2:54 PM

Bad teeth, but sure was pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2018 8:13 PM

R5 - I never gave a thought about the magazine before posting the link @ R2.

After seeing your comment I checked out some of their covers - and now I know what you mean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2018 8:22 PM

not a gay

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2019 6:07 PM

Gorgeous man

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2019 6:12 PM

It only took four years to garner 15 replies, so I don't see how you can say he's underrated, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2019 6:38 PM

^cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2019 6:39 PM

Love the photo at r2.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 2:06 PM

OP, please stop trying to resuscitate this thread. It's dead.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 2:09 PM

I remember this magazine cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 2:21 PM

From Wikipedia:

In the early 1960s, Frechette was allegedly one of several victims of sexual abuse by Rev. Laurence Francis Xavier Brett of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport in Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 3:01 PM

From Films and Filming July 1963

Personal

Young man wishes to correspond with tape recorder / television set owner in USA or Canada, mutually interested in stars like Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Rita Hayworth, Deanna Durbin etc. Box No. 645F

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 3:08 PM

He has cock sucking lips.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 3:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!