Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Could you live in a micro-loft?

Micro-lofts and micro-apartments are gaining popularity. Could you sacrifice space to live less expensively?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2020 5:03 AM

Some mini-apartments are great. The ones in the video look ugly and it's a creepy, cold building

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2015 6:32 AM

Adorable. Wish had these $750 places in nyc

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2015 6:35 AM

I like the idea, but I do not think that space is very safe. I can only imagine how loud it would be to live in an open air mall.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2015 7:03 AM

Why not?

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2015 10:35 AM

Living in small place right now and I am sick of it. This is really just more profit for landlords.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2015 11:17 AM

That's about the size of a spacious 2 bedroom in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2015 12:36 PM

I love the idea of getting rid of crap and having a well-organized space.

I live alone in a 2-bdrm/1200 sqft apartment in Manhattan and have way too much random crap.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2015 2:05 PM

I'd rather live in a micro-loft than have a micro-penis.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2015 2:42 PM

The lack of stove in the kitchen (because the "lofts" aren't zoned for stoves) would be a deal-breaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2015 2:51 PM

This reminds me of the dangers of staying in a Motel 6 that were discussed on the thread about the gun-toting hellion on high heels, Ms. Lynne Russell.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2015 3:39 PM

Michael Bloomberg wants the masses to accept living in shoe-boxes so that he and his sort can more easily maintain fourteen or fifteen houses and apartments of no less than 10,000 sq. ft. apiece.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2015 4:15 PM

Nope. I'm a bull in a china cabinet. I'd wreck the place.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2020 9:30 PM

I wouldn't mind living alone in a smallish space. But I'm really fucking tired of the real estate industry trying so hard to make these tiny, shitty rentals trendy.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2020 9:55 PM

I would get a single-burner hot plate and a toaster oven and that would work.

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2020 10:23 PM

R14 I hate toaster ovens. They get so dirty!

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2020 10:24 PM

Micro? They are much bigger than office workers' capsules in my city!!!! Big fat American would be gag and die in here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2020 10:29 PM

Honestly, my condo in LA is 1,200 sq. ft. and for one guy alone, it is more than enough. In fact, what I did notice is that I rarely use any space as much as the living room and the bedroom is there for sleeping, the closet and not much else...I NEVER use the desk but may start to if we keep working from home. The livingroom and the kitchen and bath are where I spend most of my time. I enjoy the way these Eastern European apartments (older ones cuz the new ones some colleagues have are exactly like US open living space places) are set up. A hallway for a coat rack and armoire as you walk in, then the kitchen is a separate room with actual furniture and appliances, a living room, and bedrooms and to get to each you need to go down a hallway. I also like the closed balconies you can set up as a little office in winter with natural light and open up during the summer.

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2020 10:31 PM

2015 thread queen @ R12, a micro-loft would match your deformed micro penis perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2020 10:35 PM

I just moved to a micro apartment. It does have a large storage closet which makes it doable. I find that I have no problem living in a tiny apartment as long as it is divided into a living room and bedroom area. I wouldn't want to feel like I am in one room all day.

It makes city living affordable.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2020 10:36 PM

No. I need my space.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2020 10:37 PM

I have lived in a tiny home (on a beautiful property in the Hudson Valley). I have a dog and a cat and they had plenty of outdoor space to make up for lack of indoor space. I also spent part of the winter in the Keys.

I downsized over the years while living in Manhattan. I was paying $3000 for a nice 550 sq foot studio on Bank St in West Village ( traded space for location). So living in a small space is fine, but I spend a lot of time outdoors plus at my office.

Right now I am in a 1000 sq foot apartment (in New Paltz) and it seems huge.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2020 10:45 PM

I lived in a 400 ft[super]2[/super] apartment a couple decades ago and it felt like everything was going to fall over and bury me. Smaller than that would really only work if you have zero interest in cooking or ever having friends over.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2020 10:45 PM

No. That shit ought to be illegal. We are not veal.

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2020 11:29 PM

I bet that building is eerie at night.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2020 11:52 PM

I don't mind the idea of micro-apartments, but the examples in the video were all wrong, configured as five zones (the Baltimore soap maker's place.). As a temporary situation (grad school) or in tandem with a larger space elsewhere it could work.

It's definitely too small for me on a permanent basis, though I am casually on the look out for a very small apartment as a getaway in another city. It needs to be big enough for a bed, a sofa, a couple of chairs, and a table to eat at and may e work from. The "kitchen" needs only a small refrigerator, a coffee pot, a compact convection/microwave oven or toaster oven, and a sink and some storage space; all could be fitted into a space the size of a coat closet. Otherwise a closet and a bathroom that's not not too very compact that I hate it, and something vaguely like a view. A well conceived hotel room size space could do the trick.

Trying to pack too.much into a Rhode Island kitchen (without stove) is a fundamental mistake. Put the kitchen in a closet. At best it's a space in which to warm up food or to prepare some semi-readymade or extremely simple meal. In any event when you try to make a prior room of space for each function, you soon run out of space in 200 square feet.

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2020 12:08 AM

The price is right and for someone who is rarely there it will do. But I'm witnessing people's quality of life getting lower and lower, I feel something needs to change in a drastic way.

I feel were getting conditioned to accept less and less, "You don't need thiat much you're just greedy". While the rich get to expand more and more. This works out great for people who profited from the bank bailout, where criminals weren't proseuted.

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2020 12:12 AM

I’m very sorry to hear that, r8. (Hugs.)

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2020 12:14 AM

So they closed all of the Single Room Occupancy hotels to open these? No wonder there are so many homeless people.

by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2020 12:15 AM

I love spending time in the kitchen. I’d never be happy with the broom closet scenario outlined above.

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]Could you live in a micro-loft?

Yes. I suppose I could downsize to, say, 4500 sf if I had to.

by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2020 12:35 AM

I live on a 27' sailboat now- it's actually not to bad down below and my bed is the v-berth forward. The head is a pain though - there is no separate shower - you just stand in the bath and pull this sprayer off the wall so everything gets soaked.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2020 1:03 AM

Just think of it as a pied-à-terre. Sounds classier that way.

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote]This reminds me of the dangers of staying in a Motel 6 that were discussed on the thread about the gun-toting hellion on high heels, Ms. Lynne Russell.

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2020 1:25 AM

I lived in 250 square feet for five years, a space made even smaller by a sloping roof. That was during a downturn and I was hugely grateful to have a place with low rent, and I found that a single person can be perfectly comfortable in that amount of space if they downsize and plan the use of space carefully. I just didn't have people over, because a second person in that amount of space was stifling.

However, I can't see doing the same in an old mall. I mean my tiny place had windows and I could see and smell the outside world, in a mall space all you'd be able to see or smell is your noisy neighbors. I mean, cooking smells, indoor cigarette breaks, parties spilling out into the mall space because the homes are too small for entertaining...

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2020 6:50 AM

[quote]I love spending time in the kitchen. I’d never be happy with the broom closet scenario outlined above.

Understood, R29. As the broom closet proponent, my preference would be to have one decent place where I could sit in calm without being on a bed—so I would happily scrap the idea of having a proper kitchen counter and refrigerator freezer and do the kitchen it a cupboard thing. Stove top cooking and ovens outside of a microwave or any microwave-convection unit are prohibited in that building so already there are some serious restrictions on cooking. Other people might want their comfort in the bedroom instead of a more complete kitchen or a better sitting area.

Think of a room 225 square feet in size, more or less a square of 15 feet in length by 15 feet in width and then section it into separate spaces for sitting area; kitchen; bedroom; walk-in closet; and bathroom. It doesn't work well because everything is crunched and compromised and there's no one good space, no good kitchen, no good sitting area, just an adequate bathroom and closet and bedroom. When trying to do all things, sometimes nothing get done very well and that's the problem here with all the sectioning of space.

In a small space decisions have to be made but here they made bad ones trying to give a little something to everyone: a real looking mini-kitchen but one you can't cook in; a seating area with huge windows but windows that look onto an interior corridor in a shopping arcade and chairs less than a dick's length from the front door.

If you had anyone in that space besides yourself you would have to fuck him immediately. Otherwise it would just be too uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2020 7:45 AM

For the last 22 years I have lived in a house that is 436 ft.²

Unfortunately it has no washer/dryer hook up but that’s not too bad because there is a laundromat 2 miles from my house.

My rent has not went up since I moved in in July 1998.

I pay $225 a month and that includes the water bill and my landlord mows the half-acre lot.

by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2020 8:06 AM

Better than prison.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2020 8:29 AM

Companies that have a lot of out-of-town visitors should buy them up and give them to their employees gratis while they're in town. They could even call them Stay-Free Mini-pads.

by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2020 8:16 PM

Meh, I lived in a 300 sq foot studio for several years in the early 90s and still had a bathtub, small oven/stove, and a full size refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2020 8:21 PM

I need space. My husband’s farts are so acrid they burn my eyes, so this would be a no.

by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2020 8:32 PM

[quote]My rent has not went up

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 41August 28, 2020 8:43 PM

It would go perfectly with my micro-peen.

by Anonymousreply 42August 28, 2020 8:44 PM

R39, my 250' studio had a full working kitchen with stoves, a fridge, and cabinets, although it was so small I ended up hanging pots and pans on the wall. So I had a "bedroom" and a kitchen and a bathroom, what I didn't have was a seating space. I ended up putting in an "office" area with a desk instead, as I was spending a lot of time at night school. Like I said, it was a downturn. I think the builders of this place are making a mistake not having a proper kitchen, they seem to think that if there's an illusion of an "entertainment" space the apartment will be more livable, but really. No place that small is going to be good for anything but one person living very efficiently.

The whole experience has made me willing to consider a Tiny House for the future. Although if I ever go that way, I will buy some land, and put in a big shed for storage and a deck around the Tiny House, and entertain on the deck as the home will be too small for that.

by Anonymousreply 43August 28, 2020 10:38 PM

I'm also weary of all of the tiny homes / tiny spaces bullshit. I remembering watching this video in 2015. The spaces are NOT designed well - too much static spaces and weird walls.

I do think you can design a 500sqft place to be very efficient, but this is just too small and poorly done.

by Anonymousreply 44August 28, 2020 10:47 PM

What makes tiny homes doable, is the concept of indoor/outdoor living. Having a deck with chairs, gas fire pit, outdoor grill, garden - this really expands the living space.

by Anonymousreply 45August 28, 2020 11:18 PM

Here's a tiny house with a deck, I could be happy with a living space like that if it was on a piece of land I liked. Of course my deck would be slightly larger, and include a picnic table and a bench swing, instead of a couch.

Roof staircase is an interesting idea, but I could live without it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2020 11:31 PM

Yeah R46 - good luck trying to find a place that will allow you to setup that thing. Most places don't allow homes under a certain sq. footage - it's a zoning issue. You are NOT able to roam as freely as you'd like - actually, you are less free than if you just lived in a RV.

Agreed though - you need to have some outside space of some kind. The ones in this video are awful - no direct sunlight and then extreme lack of privacy. Now if they combined 2 together - now we'd be talking.

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2020 12:54 AM

I've stayed in a Florida motel that had doors and front window-walls facing a central atrium like that converted mall. It might be okay for temporary stays (though mine also had 70s era design/decor and a shabbiness that led to worries of being murdered), but that is too little space close to too many other people's little spaces to be comfortable as a home. There'd be nowhere you could go to get away from noisy neighbors, and having that many in such close quarters would guarantee that you'd have some.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2020 3:32 AM

LOL @ R46. They always show those tiny houses in beautiful surroundings -- big open spaces, large lots, stunning backdrops. If you have the money to buy a million dollar pilot of land, you can well afford a decent sized home.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2020 5:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!