Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judy Garland's voice sings "I'll Plant My Own Tree" from Valley of the Dolls

Eventually Susan Hayward's voice would be dubbed by Margaret Whiting but here is Hayward with Judy's voice.

Also on this video are Judy's wardrobe tests from VOTD and right after is a video with Patty Duke being interviewed telling how horribly Judy was treated on that set.

Interesting tidbit...Judy kept the clothes from VOTD and often wore the sparkly pantsuit in the rest of her performances for I guess the next two years until she died in 1969. At least she got something out of that film. Patty Duke speaks of this as well in that interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2023 6:02 AM

I always wanted to perform a number like that on stage with a mobile.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2015 3:20 AM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2015 3:32 AM

Why didn't anyone bother to wipe off all those handprints off the colored Lucite on the mobile?

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2015 3:39 AM

Judy was GIVEN the Travilla created pantsuit by the studio and she ordered two more in other colors from some of the money she was paid IN FULL from her contract.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2015 4:07 AM

[quote] from some of the money she was paid IN FULL from her contract.

Thanks to Helen, er, Susan Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2015 4:11 AM

someone needs to use this or the other Whiting version as an opening to clips of Barbara Walters asking celebrities what kind of tree they would be.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2015 4:20 AM

Fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2021 7:07 AM

YES, R3! THANK YOU. I always wondered the same thing! No one else has ever mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2021 8:00 AM

It isn't important to the plot of VOTD, but I wish they'd given a little more insight into just exactly what "Hit The Sky" was supposed to be about.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2021 8:05 AM

Who is that queen with Perkins? And why does that Broadway theater look like no Broadway theater that existed in 1967?

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2021 8:39 AM

God that's a shit song.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2021 8:40 AM

Her hiring for the role was just wrong from the get-go. She had to know the script and music were shit. And she never played 'bitches'.

For a major movie adaption of a hugely popular novel, so many mistakes were made in bringing it to the screen.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2021 8:44 AM

It sure is a shit song but even in less than great voice Judy manages to sell it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2021 8:51 AM

Very few literary critics thought the book was any good either.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2021 9:00 AM

R10 That's actor Paul Burke, playing talent agent Lyon Burke. And it really does look like it was filmed in a high school auditorium.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2021 9:16 AM

[quote] And why does that Broadway theater look like no Broadway theater that existed in 1967?

Because it was a pre-Broadway tour stop in New Haven, perhaps? Or did you miss the giant headline at the beginning of the number?

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2021 9:39 AM

@r11, it sure is and Susan Hayward looks stupid lip-syncing it. The voice doesn't match the person

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2021 11:09 AM

Am I alone in thinking that I'll Plant My Own Tree" ranks among the stupidest songs ever written?

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2021 12:16 PM

I always liked the big thread hanging under her right arm at the end of number.....

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2021 12:18 PM

I doubt even any New Haven house looked like that. It's a cheaply thrown together theater mockup.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2021 1:22 PM

shit show

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2021 1:46 PM

Wardrobe fittings, JUDY! and bitchy anecdotes from Patty Duke. Why read any other threads? This one has it all.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2021 2:11 PM

R11 I like it.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2021 2:15 PM

Why is Susan posing like that? Oh lord, what a sight!

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2021 2:30 PM

R2 Why do you post this in so many threads?

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2021 7:10 PM

The BEST and GAYEST part of the movie is when Anne Welles appears in the Gilmore girl commercials.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2021 7:38 PM

R25 The process of healing looks different to everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote]udy kept the clothes from VOTD and often wore the sparkly pantsuit in the rest of her performances for I guess the next two years until she died in 1969.

She didn't take all four of her outfits. Garland was gifted the pantsuit by the studio and then spent $3000 having Travilla create one in red and one in white. She wore the white one at the Talk of the Town engagement seen in Judy and I think on the Johnny Carson show. Both came up for auction circa 2000. Not sure what they sold for. Also not sure of what happened to her VOD pantsuit.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2021 10:36 PM

I never would have bought that Helen thought Neely was a threat with that voice (even a rough cut).

When I hear this and see her scenes from AGYG I get a sense that Judy got to the set and realized it wasn't going to work and then finagled her way out.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 2:28 AM

Judy's voice on "I'll Plant My Own Tree" sounds GREAT!!! She was still in top form. It's the way the song should have been sung.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 2:43 AM

R29 Patty Duke stated that the director of VOTD was very unkind and abrasive with actresses. And it appears that poor Judy got the worst of it. It wasn't her fault that she was fired. She got very shabby treatment. .

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 2:46 AM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2021 2:49 PM

Judy's vocal is amazing, and she really builds to that last sustained note. While her voice might be a thin, she still had it, and knew how to sell a song. Hard to believe she was about 2 years away from her death.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2021 3:05 PM

R33 I agree. I also hate that modern pop culture can’t be this unabashedly campy yet serious.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2022 2:58 PM

Hayward almost convinces me, until the arm goes in the air a good 10 seconds before it needs to, and then it looks like bad drag.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2022 3:10 PM

I'd like to plant my own tree ... up your ass!!!

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2022 3:15 PM

The scenes of Neely's losing it on opening night were filmed at the 48th Street Theatre in Manhattan where Patty Duke had starred in "The Miracle Worker."

Her alleyway breakdown however was filmed on the 20th Century-Fox lot.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2022 3:44 PM

Things were so colorful and pleasant to look at back then. Why is everything so dull and gray now?

by Anonymousreply 38March 21, 2022 5:48 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2022 5:48 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2023 6:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!