Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many denizens of the Datalounge have met John Waters?

I met him 4-5 years ago in PTown. He was sitting with some friends on the deck of the restaurant. I am rarely star struck (most of them are insane) but as we were leaving I leaned over and said "Thank you so much for corrupting my young mind with the beautiful filth you call cinema."

He replied that it was one of the nicest compliments anyone had ever given him, and chatted for a minute with my partner and me. He loved our Southern accents. Total gem.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2019 5:09 AM

No love for JW?

Wow, Datalounge really is hurting.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2015 4:35 AM

I remember reading a book of his essays about 30 years ago when I was in high school. Non-stop, inappropriate giggles. I wonder if he lives in a safe section of Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2015 4:40 AM

R3

It seems like the posts are coming around 2-3 minute. Not on each thread, but scrolling.

They are too dumb to respond.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2015 4:54 AM

I met him once in the East Village in Wonderbar aeons and aeons ago. He was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2015 4:55 AM

[quote] They are too dumb to respond.

No, there are just very people here now. Compare this to the last John Waters thread which I think was just last month.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2015 4:57 AM

I told him he stole my idea for shopping for other people. We laughed.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2015 5:01 AM

He gave a wonderful commencement speech this season about not being a gay seperatist "it's for losers" that many here at the DL should read.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2015 5:12 AM

Fuck you R8 up your twee little aproned bourgeois arse!

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2015 6:24 AM

I've never spoken to him but I walked past him while shopping in Soho a couple of years ago. He was coming out of Dean and Deluca as I was walking past the store, he is very tall and slim, wearing sunglasses. Very Striking man.

What's the gossip on him? Who is he fucking these days?

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2015 6:47 AM

I was working in a store here in New York and he was being a bit intimidating with the girl whose task was to see that the items he bought got mailed to him in Baltimore. I tried to lighten his mood by cheerfully mentioning how big a fan I was, and it worked. He was very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2015 7:14 AM

John Waters sightings are fairly common in San Francisco. He owns a condo on Nob Hill and is known to ride the cable cars (that passes in front of his condo building) and SF Muni transit buses.

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2015 7:22 AM

I wonder if he's been sighted at Nob Hill Adult Theater, two blocks down the hill from his condo. It is famous for it nude male revue and its marquee sign that says "You Can Touch Our Junk".

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2015 7:40 AM

He frequently comes over by where I live to visit his friend Leslie.

Leslie Van Houten of the Manson Family Drama.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2015 7:56 AM

I once followed him (late 1980s) out of Metro Pictures and into another gallery further down Wooster Street, then realized I was following him and was so filled with shame I ran over to W. B'way and actually went into Mary Boone and bought a Schnabel. Yuck!

(This is a true story. Except for the Schnabel part; it was a Sherrie Levine.)

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2015 8:00 AM

Saw him strike up, then pickup, conversational tall, muscular POI within three stops on R train, disembarking at Prince to most certainly embark upstairs at his apt.

Remember him showing up in VIP at Limelight with three immense Af-Am women in tow.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2015 8:03 AM

I bet he'd be a cool guy to have drinks or dinner with.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2015 8:05 AM

Nope, r1, we love JW. The story on the other hand is cloying and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2015 8:21 AM

Are you in prison, r14?

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2015 2:47 PM

Kelt knows him. He gave him an RIP Sharon tee and posted a photo of him and Waters together. Because Waters is a Van Houten apologist.

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2015 2:53 PM

what happened to Kelt? Did he get chased off the board with that KKKelt label?

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2015 2:55 PM

Not met him, OP, sorry.

But for the benefit of those wondering, some of us are still here but using the legacy site, where the thread watcher is getting unpredictable and doesn't always show new posts to threads.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2015 2:59 PM

No R19. I grew up in a sleepy lil' middle class SoCal Suburb outside of Los Angeles that happens to be one city over from the mens and womens prison.

They once had an escape from the mens prison and Kevin Cooper murdered a family in my city in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2015 4:18 PM

What was the name again?

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2015 3:02 PM

I would want to thank him for keeping up the murderous cult of both Gacy and Manson. I want to like Waters but his fascination with serial killers seems sick. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he literally has some bodies under one of his old closets.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2015 3:15 PM

[quote]tall, muscular POI

Point of Interest?

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2015 4:19 PM

Met him a few times., have a book and an original "Pink Flamingo" poster signed.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2015 4:26 PM

I met John Waters and gave him a big, bear hug when he participated in a discussion panel at the Sundance Film Festival.

He's also done his one-man show at the theaters where I worked a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2015 4:40 PM

I met him once at a coffee shop in Ptown. I stupidly asked if anyone had ever told him he looked just like John Waters? He replied,"That's because I AM John Waters". Not my finest moment, but he was nice enough to laugh it off.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2015 5:01 PM

One of my best friends and I met him in 1997 in Memphis when he was promoting the 20th-anniversary re-release of [italic]Pink Flamingos.[/italic] Very gracious -- he signed my flyer (which I could kick myself for losing in a move), and he took a question from me during the Q&A session. My friend name-dropped a colleague of his in the English department at Ole Miss who hung with the Dreamlanders in their heyday; JW immediately knew who he was talking about and asked how he was doing.

Love him!

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2015 5:03 PM

Lovely man. Pure class.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2015 2:50 AM

Whoops -- meant the 25th anniversary of PF ...

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2015 3:26 AM

He's one of the few famous people I would actually like to meet. He seems like a whole lot of fun to hang out with. I have no desire to meet most celebrities whose work I admire, because I fully expect them to be assholes.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2015 3:35 AM

Never even heard of him. Is he someone I should know?

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2015 4:15 AM

As a fellow Baltimorean, I've said hello to him at some of his book signings, and I nodded to him at the Elaine Stritch concert in NYC around 2000 or 2001. I love how his books mention these extinct Baltimore sites.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2019 5:59 AM

I've met him twice by happenstance and he was friendly and chatty both times. I'd say he's probably just a cool guy.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2019 6:38 AM

I met him at a Sundance Film Festival panel. I thanked him and gave him a hug.

He does speaking tours all over the country— he’s not hard to meet.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2019 8:06 PM

His support of Leslie Van Houten is disgusting. I dislike him because of that.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2019 8:25 PM

[quote]I wonder if he's been sighted at Nob Hill Adult Theater

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2019 8:31 PM

Nice man. He said he considered putting me in one of his films but I was "too crazy even for his films."

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2019 9:05 PM

^And what do you do for a living, Character?

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2019 9:12 PM

I have a weird background. I've given several interviews about it over the years.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2019 9:16 PM

I met him at the Austin premiere for A Dirty Shame. And hung out with Selma Blair while she was waiting for her driver.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2019 9:28 PM

Like his work but hate that he’s a Manson Family supporter. That’s just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2019 10:54 PM

My friend (of an age similar to JW) lives near Nob Hill and sat beside JW on a SF MUNI bus...and was too shy to talk to him! I told him he was supposed to make friends with him for BOTH OF US! I was born in Baldmer and my mom knew Pat Moran when they were young, I would have talked off his ear! I tried to sorta stalk him in his favorite hangouts on a short trip to Baldmer, but I sadly failed.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2019 11:24 PM

I can’t believe he rides MUNI.

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2019 11:50 PM

Never met him, but I would go crazy if I did. Love him. I’m going to buy the book of essays. They sound like they’d be fun.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2019 3:01 AM

My first trip to Paris in the 1990s and I was sitting my first morning at a lovely and typical outdoor cafe on the Champs-Elysees having an espresso and croissant and who strolled by?

John Waters, wearing an elegant long woolen cape with a matching scarf. It couldn't have been a more appropriate welcome to the city.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2019 3:42 AM

R48, did you complete the tableau by eating Dog poop and going on a serial killing spree ?

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2019 4:05 AM

Or dressing up in drag and pretending to be someone's mom?

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2019 4:29 AM

Who's seen the movie Girls Will Be Girls? The writer-director looked to be the new John Waters, but then they crowd-sourced the sequel, and finished it nearly 10 yrs ago, but it remains unreleased. Maybe because they were forced to give contributors minor roles in it. Too bad, Girls is one of my absolute favorite movies (also the 3 short sequels on YouTube.)

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2019 5:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!