Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

35 things Canadians say that Americans don’t understand

Because we've been bashing Canadian here lately, let's continue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 2, 2020 6:10 PM

One such thing: "I like Canada."

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2015 2:00 AM

People say "homo milk" in Michigan too, and put it on their party store signs (convenience stores). Always gets visiting gays hot and bothered.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2015 2:12 AM

In most of America people assume the milk is homo unless it is advertised as "raw"

by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2015 2:17 AM

[quote]Because we've been bashing Canadian here lately

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2015 2:20 AM

Canadians look down on American cheese food, but guess who invented it? A Canadian! James L. Kraft was a Mennonite from Stevensville, Ontario. He is also responsible for Velveeta and Miracle Whip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2015 2:33 AM

R4 - Canadian can refer to the people or the language.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2015 2:41 AM

[quote]Canadians look down on American cheese food, but guess who invented it?

The people who popularized poutine don't really have much room to look down on any food products, do they?

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2015 4:15 AM

Canada sold us on goose down and now they say it's evil animal cruelty. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2015 4:18 AM

I'm Canadian and not familiar with about half of those.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2015 4:20 AM

They killed dogs while testing insulin. (The pro-Canada article doesn't say it, but it explicitly derivable from what was said).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2015 4:22 AM

Of course it was Dr. Banting's lab but an American born researcher did the actual work.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2015 4:23 AM

As a western Canadian I'm very happy that this article made reference to the fact that easterners are very different from people out west (I for one have NEVER tried poutine and never want too!). A lot of what gets represented as "Canadian" is actually Ontario/Quebec with some Atlantic Canada thrown in. That stupid "double-double" is annoying as hell and that fucking Tim Hortan's came into my city, got rid of all the other donut places (there is a "Timmie's" almost on every corner, LITERALLY) but now they only sell re-heated from frozen shit in one or two varieties because they are focusing on becoming a sandwich shop. Can't even get a decent donut anymore. And no one in western Canada says "Eh?" or "Aboot": it's "Hey?" and "About".

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2015 5:49 AM

Canada is underrated. I hope the border will open back up so I can visit this summer.

by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2020 4:09 AM

Chesterfield.

Tuque.

Tabernac.

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2020 4:11 AM

r9 Yeah, a lot of these are very dated.

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2020 4:19 AM

R12, there's poutine out west, along with Alberta and Saskatchewan, so tell me again how the west is so great?

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2020 4:32 AM

Nobody likes Canadians anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2020 4:33 AM

Canadians are loved and admired the world over. Awesome people. We could learn a lot from them here in Trumpica.

by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2020 4:42 AM

Unfortunately R18, that's not true. Rural Canadians are largely conservative as are most from places like Alberta and Saskatchewan. Those assholes are as bad as American deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2020 4:44 AM

R19 I'm sure you didn't mean to sound like a snob. Rural Canadians have always been nice to me when I've visited the less metropolitan areas of Canada.

by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2020 4:48 AM

I like liberal Canadians, I have no reason to bash them. I wish I was Canadian in a warm climate.

by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2020 4:50 AM

R20, they may be nice to you when you visit, but trust me, they are largely conservative and rural areas are filled with deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 22April 2, 2020 4:52 AM

Hang a roger or a larry? WTF?

It's GITCH.

Tortierre is French Canadian. Most Canadians wouldn't even know what it is.

We say bathroom far more often than washroom.

Americans don't say "two four"???

I've heard stag or stag and doe but never stagette, ever.

We don't say "holiday" like the British do. We say holidays but we would say "go on vacation". I don't get that one.

I didn't know that "mickey" was a Canadian thing.

Give'r and go on a rip or whatever are kind of like hick things to say. Guys that hunt and go snowmobiling etc.

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2020 5:22 AM

[quote]People say "homo milk" in Michigan too, and put it on their party store signs (convenience stores). Always gets visiting gays hot and bothered.

Drink homo milk at night and feel yourself in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2020 7:05 AM

[quote]Yeah, a lot of these are very dated.

Well, the thread [italic]is[/italic] from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2020 7:19 AM

r25 I was thinking more a generation or so ago dated.

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2020 7:29 AM

Make fun of Canadians if you must, but don't bash poutine. I simply won't have it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2020 8:05 AM

Canadians spend a lot of time splitting hairs pretending that everyday life in our countries is more different than it really is.

What separates the two countries is how we reacted toward colonialism and our current relationship with the UK. They're much, much more British-focused than we are and they have high immigration from other former British colonies. They're fully part of the Anglosphere, culturally connected to the wider diaspora of the former empire. They fit in well culturally with other members of the commonwealth, despite being in all other ways very American.

The ins and outs of daily life- what we eat & wear, where we go and how we get there, what work we do, our family life- are basically identical.

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2020 8:24 AM

R12 I lived in Bellingham Washington and we got Canadian TV reception and the local Vancouver TV news people all said "aboot".....

by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2020 8:29 AM

R28 Canadians are Brits with an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2020 8:33 AM

Canadians should be banged regularly like gongs.

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2020 8:43 AM

We don't say "a boot".

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2020 8:46 AM

^^^ Beauty, eh, hoser?

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2020 10:41 AM

some of those grey-eyed, ginger jacks could say whatever they like, as long as i get it!

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2020 11:03 AM

Several of those expressions are common to England as well.

Of course, the main thing Canadians say that Americans don't understand is, "There is no need to buy guns."

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2020 1:39 PM

And some things are very regional. "Eh," and some of the other expressions are very hoser - ie rural, especially rural Ontario.

I've lived in Canada most of my life and have never heard "Hang a Larry"

One thing an American noticed was when I was in the States was that I said, "I'll have a coffee," instead of just saying "I'll have coffee." I don't know if adding the "a" is a Canadian thing or not, but the person promptly asked me if I was Canadian based on how I ordered coffee.

by Anonymousreply 36April 2, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote]In most of America people assume the milk is homo unless it is advertised as "raw"

This makes no sense. Homo = homogenized (i.e., the milk and cream are mixed together), not pasteurized.

by Anonymousreply 37April 2, 2020 6:01 PM

[quote]Runners: Running shoes. Or, really, any kind of athletic shoe, like a tennis shoe.

Don't the British call them "trainers?"

by Anonymousreply 38April 2, 2020 6:03 PM

Saying "SORE-y" instead of sorry.

by Anonymousreply 39April 2, 2020 6:04 PM

[quote]Americans don't say "two four"???

I've never heard it, but then I don't drink beer.

by Anonymousreply 40April 2, 2020 6:04 PM

[quote]Double-double: a type of coffee from Tim Hortons, Canada’s most popular coffee and donut shop. Double-doubles are made with two creams and two sugars.

In California, a Double Double always refers to this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 2, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]Chesterfield: a couch or sofa.

This is one of many words that are used almost interchangeably in the US for a certain type of furniture. And I think it was more commonly used in the past in the US, although I'm sure it's still in use. Possibly more of a regionalism?

by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2020 6:07 PM

[quote]Garburator: an electric device underneath of a kitchen sink that breaks up food so it can be washed away. You call it a trash disposal.

No--we call it a GARBAGE disposal.

by Anonymousreply 43April 2, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote]Make fun of Canadians if you must, but don't bash poutine. I simply won't have it.

Poutine is just a northern version of Chili-Cheese Fries.

by Anonymousreply 44April 2, 2020 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!