Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fewer Californians got into UC, while offers to foreign students rose

With the number of UC applicants at a new high, California residents faced tougher odds of gaining acceptance into next fall's freshman classes. A record number of students from other countries and states, meanwhile, received offers of admission.

About 60% of the 103,117 California applicants were offered a spot on at least one of UC's nine undergraduate campuses, according to university figures released Thursday. That appears to be a record low acceptance rate, down from about 63% of the 99,955 applicants last year, and about 79% in 1999, the oldest available systemwide figures. Tougher odds

However, Stephen Handel, UC associate vice president for undergraduate admissions, said that interest is so strong in the public university system that he expects the ranks of California freshmen will remain about the same as in this past school year, even though the 61,834 Californians accepted to UC were about 1,000 fewer than last year. Their ethnic composition continues to shift from whites to more Asians and Latinos

(Now that more Latino-Americans are prepping for UC, California is giving their seats away to foreigners)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 29, 2022 6:17 PM

If UC is like the Univ. of Colorado system, they want more int'l students because they pay out-of-state tuition. In Colorado, one int'l student = 4 in-state students regarding tuition revenue.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2015 11:30 PM

"Foreign" = Chinese

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2015 11:31 PM

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2015 11:32 PM

I think that' it exactly, r1, to the rue of the residents who helped build and maintain the UC System.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2015 11:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that out-of-country tuition and fees are even higher than out-of-state. I was lucky to go to UC when it was still affordable back in the '80s. My tuition and fees were ~$1,300/year.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2015 12:07 AM

Yes, they want the money.

Sadly the whole UC system will die soon because CA has no water

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2015 2:30 AM

Out of state tuition doesn't come close to covering the per student costs and is less than half the tuition at private schools - $14K for 2015-16 at Berkeley vs. $15K per quarter at Stanford.

As much as I think international students add to the overall experience, state schools funded and supported by state taxes should focus on in-state student applications. It is the overarching mandate and raison d'etre for state universities.

I graduated from Berkeley - in case that matters.

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2015 4:26 AM

I love how the article brought up the increase in Asian Americans at the UC schools. The minute you get rid of affirmative action, it's Asians, not whites, that will benefit the most.

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2015 4:31 AM

That was Canada 25 years ago, the worst being UBC. I didn't go there but knew people who did: they called it "University of a Billion ******" I was in first year English at my university (everybody had to take English first year regardless of faculty) and there were some girls in my class who could not speak a word of English. They were in med sciences, etc so the prof obviously just pushed them through. I was very offended: at least know something of the language. But they had the coin so who cares, right?

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2015 5:23 AM

The Asians blow everyone out of the water because they're all about rote memorisation. No one else can reflect like they do. They are the ultimate cloners, copiers, rote repeaters. They blend without seams. And that's what they want. There are innovators out there but they don't tow party lines.

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2015 5:38 AM

Stop bitching aboit memorization just coz u r bad at ot.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2015 5:54 AM

In R10's defense, I have a photographic memory but it's important to be able to think as well. I'm a curious human being not a robot taking orders and regurgitating information. University used to be a place for thinking people; now it's for the non-thinking, non-questioning and that's really sad.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2015 6:04 AM

One of the reasons they win so many spelling bees. And why the Chinese don't seem to have any engineering education other than trying to backwards clone western engineering. That's why a high speed train engine a la Siemens in Europe wound up in a terrible high speed crash and got buried in a ditch right where it failed. Among other travesties. Once western companies understand that going to China cheap is really, super-expensive in the long run, it may cease. I don't think the Chinese are like the Japanese who learned from errors and put out top-notch quality products. They cared; I just don't think the Chinese give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2015 6:40 AM

The Chinese built part of the San Francisco Bay Bridge. When they did the fit test (to make sure all their elements fit together, they laid out all the parts on the ground and, sure enough, it all fit together.

But bridge spans don't sit on the ground, so when they construction teams attempted to hang the span, it didn't fit -- the Chinese didn't think about (or didn't care) about deflection under the weight of the span itself.

I don't know how they ended up fixing it, but that is another example of Chinese "Workmanship."

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2015 7:14 PM

I take r14's undocumented and incomplete anecdote as proof positive of the unworthiness of all Chinese workmanship!

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2015 7:17 PM

Not just BC, sometimes it seems like the University of Washington area in Seattle is majority Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2015 7:22 PM

I was reading about this recently on a talk.collegeconfidential.com messageboard. Someone's daughter (California resident) got rejected at all 4 UC schools she applied for. People were saying she should've had a 4.0 from HS to get into the ones where she applied (she had a 3.8 or 3.9). I'm just so shocked that GPA in high school would weigh so heavily. I am guessing it's related to grade inflation, which causes 4.0s to be all too common.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2015 7:43 PM

No university does a good job of vetting foreign students. Probably most of them lie on their applications.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2015 7:47 PM

California discovers hidden price tag of outsourcing Bay Bridge to China

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2015 7:54 PM

This practice of American colleges and universities taking wealthy foreign studies is one of the few things keeping many schools going because tuition is so ridiculously high. yet it's a nightmare for teachers: we have to devote lots of our time to ESL matters instead of to the teaching of the subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2015 7:56 PM

Part of the problem is that the amount of money states are allocating to their university systems is not keeping pace with the increased costs of higher education. At the same time state universities can increase out-of-state tuition at great rates than in-state tuition. In some cases state legislatures offer a financial incentive to state schools base upon number of in-state admissions. More in-state students = more state funding. However the incentive is less than the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.

If you want more in-state students going to state schools - fully fund higher ed.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2015 7:59 PM

Because it’s a pyramid scheme and they make a lot of money off foreign students.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2020 4:29 PM

Restoring affirmative action is on the ballot in November: maybe that'll lead to the UC system having more Californians moving forward. Or maybe they'll just shift the slots to different people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2020 4:39 PM

(R17). You're forgetting that a 3.9 is considered only above above nowadays. High school valedictorians are graduating with a 4.5 or higher nowadays with AP classes and Dual Enrollment courses (which are worth 5.0 points instead of 4.0 points for an A). So, your friend's daughter was rightfully rejected (I am guessing from Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD).

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2020 5:07 PM

^ sorry, meant to say "only above average"

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2020 5:07 PM

But here’s the thing. I work for an organization whose Operational Budget has dramatically shifted due to COVID. Both revenue and spending are down dramatically — and in a post-COVID world, I believe we can continue to keep our overhead *dramatically* lower. Why can’t state schools do the same? They should be able to vastly consolidate and eliminate staff.....why have 30 professors teaching English 101? Why can’t it be 4 professors? Or less? Core curriculum staff should be dramatically reduced. Buildings should be temporarily shuttered and only the bare minimum in physical space should be used, think of the savings in even something basic like electricity or water.

In a post-COVID world with e-learning, schools should (and must!) slash staffing and expenses. Athletic staffers should be furloughed. Admin, furloughed. Directors, furloughed. All salaries 6-figures and above need a 25% pay cut. Cut cut cut cut cut. Yes, it can be done, and it can be done well.

Furthermore, the fact that schools are crying out about revenue hits in terms of student housing tells me they aren’t run with accurate budgets, projections and forecasting.....if students all have to live off-site, and the school refunds housing costs, why is that hurting the school financially? That means they haven’t allocated pricing to correspond with the real cost of housing correctly — clearly they’ve padded the price of housing to generate revenue, but that’s not a fiscally sound approach because then when there is a problem (like now) its much much harder to regain control of the operating budget.

By the way, I’m a former teacher. I cannot emphasize enough my passion for public education. We are in a new world, and it’s adapt or die.

I think if we can reframe post-COVID high education, the out-of-state issues will solve themselves. A university’s budget should be based on serving instate students, out-of-state revenue should be gravy.

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2020 5:10 PM

[quote]I'm pretty sure that out-of-country tuition and fees are even higher than out-of-state. I was lucky to go to UC when it was still affordable back in the '80s. My tuition and fees were ~$1,300/year.

My dad was lucky enough to go to UCLA when tuition was free. To residents. Before Ronald Reagan became governor. Many people who are against free public college are unaware that California once had a free system that made the state one of the best-educated in the country, and it was largely built by Republican politicians.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2020 5:21 PM

I guess wherever r11 was educated, they de-emphasized spelling in favor of phonetics?

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2020 5:25 PM

STOP ENABLING THE IDIOT THREAD BUMPER.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2020 9:14 PM

I will preface this with saying I have degrees from UC Berkeley and UCLA. (Go Cal! Go Bruins).

CA state taxes are the highest in the country and UC spots should go to students whose parents have been paying these high taxes.

BTW Berkeley is about 40 % Asian American, and the doctoral program I went to was over 50 % Asian American (there was only one non Citizen/legal resident of the US in my class).

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2020 9:22 PM

r27, my stepfather was a professor, and he told me the same about CA, that the state was considered to be the finest public education system in America.

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2020 9:39 PM

I have a number of Chinese friends and acquaintances, both in US and China.

A friend here told me she could get me a job ghost writing admission essays/fake letters of rec for wealthy Chinese students trying to get into top US colleges. And it paid very handsomely -- in the ballpark of 6k, per student.

Needless to say, I declined. But it is a huge industry.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2020 9:41 PM

I've yet to see a situation where immigration helps anyone but the wealthy or the immigrant. Seems like it always inconveniences the average American.

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2021 10:28 PM

Why didn't I think of getting a fake letter of recommendation. It cost me $500,000. Of course, Americans would never stoop to those tactics of deceit or connections to get their kids in. Just ask George HW Bush and Fred Trump.

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2021 11:27 PM

UCs also did not allow SATs in their decisions, which theoretically favored Californians over foreign students. Obviously that didn't happen.

My niece was rejected from UCLA and Cal but got into Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz. Her mom and dad went to Princeton. Bingo. Acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2021 11:44 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 36January 29, 2022 6:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!