Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Rivers Apartment Sold for $28 Million to Middle East "Royalty"

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2021 6:07 AM

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2015 8:01 PM

I'd have sold it. It didn't have a great layout but had 2 spectacular rooms.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2015 8:01 PM

More foreigners who will barely spend much time in the city buying up tons of New York real estate and inflating the demand for expensive housing.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2015 8:02 PM

Didn't Joan complain about the apartment being haunted? Maybe Melissa didn't want to live in a haunted home.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2015 8:04 PM

Yada yada yada. Old news the rich and NYC.

New York City sold out to the rich starting when I lived there as a young man in the 80's. I was priced out of neighbourhood after neighbourhood.

There are other great cities where you don't have to apologise or suffer for being middle class. And be miserable if you are poor and not a local in rent control.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2015 8:05 PM

I wish there was some way NYC real estate, over $500,000, could only be sold to those who are citizens of the US and have lived in NYC for at least 10 years (this would include all immediate family including brothers and sisters) and sign a contract that they will live in NYC for at least another 25 years.

You'd see how quickly prices would come down. Nothing over 2 million would sell.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2015 8:12 PM

Her apartment was haunted by old widow Ms. Spencer, who was related to J.P. Morgan, and who used to own the whole building. Her ghost made life hell for everyone who lived in the building. Joan brought in a voodoo priestess from New Orleans to cleanse it.

Once Joan and the priestess did the cleansing, Ms. Spencer became a friendly ghost. She still appears in the apartment, but in a loving and protective way. Joan said that she'd wake up every night at 3am and Ms. Spencer would be sitting in a chair at the foot of the bed. Joan said she liked it because the spirit gave her company.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2015 8:26 PM

The apartment was a gaudy horror. Plus, Melissa lives in LA. Why would she hold on to it?

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2015 8:34 PM

The best thing Melissa could do for herself is to get rid of her mother's things and make a life for herself. She's spent her whole life in her mother's shadow, and I don't know if that was her idea or Joan's, but if she's ever going to be happy and well-adjusted she needs to stop living a life that's all about Joan Rivers.

Incidentally, that would also be the best thing for "Fashion Police".

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2015 9:32 PM

Melissa has always been a west coast girl-born and raised there. It was NYC native Joan who wanted to live in NYC and only go to LA for work and seeing Melissa. There's no reason for Melissa to keep the place.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2015 9:40 PM

Melissa is a young hip cali girl of 48. Why would she want to live in that faberge egg in nyc? Sell it to the Arabs by all means. NYC too. You know how Anne Frank's family were discovered? Arnold Schwarzenegger looked so hot marching down the street with the Nazis that Anne waved and said yoohoo, I'm up here. Joan was a generous person and quite sentimental. But she was no fool. She knew her apartment had to go before people caught on that Marie Antoinette shouldn't live in a studio apt but you make the best of it and try not to lose your head. Some terrorist will be willing to pay the price for prime location. Those were Joan's last words btw.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2015 9:44 PM

Maybe she can't afford it. Keeping this place isn’t cheap — “maintenance, common charges and taxes add up to a considerable $20,000 per month,” which means it takes a quarter-million dollars a year to keep it going.

Also, its a co-op., thus requiring board approval of the buyer. So Melissa may have inherited it, that does not t mean she can live there. The board would still have to approve the title transfer. The board might not *want* Melissa.

Or maybe she simply does not meet the boards financial requirements. Requiremtns of Iquid assests 4 or 5 times the sales price are common. Even a 1X requirment might be too much for Melissa.

Or maybe just getting while the getting is good.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2015 12:46 AM

28 million is a lot of money. why would ANYONE keep such a shrine to a dead mother and her tastes:

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2015 12:49 AM

She doesn't want to pay the crazy taxes on the place

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2015 2:22 AM

That apartment is gorgeous and we all know it. Joan was very elaborate (which I appreciate to a degree), a little redecorating and it will be fine. And a new kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2015 2:30 AM

I never understood why anyone wants to keep an apartment in New York and then live elsewhere most of the time. It's much more economical to use a hotel. You could even hold a hotel room for the year and it would be cheaper than maintaining a home and paying taxes for something you visit four or five times a year.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2015 2:39 AM

Good for Mel for selling it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2015 2:43 AM

I wonder what happens to the contents? Will there be an auction? Were Joan's antiques real? She wanted to live like Marjorie Merriweather Post but MMP had a 54 room triplex on 5th Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2015 2:44 AM

All of the furnishings are original. Joanie didn't fuck around.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2015 2:51 AM

Would you rather have Joan's apartment or Lauren Bacall's Dakota apartment?

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2015 3:20 AM

I'll take Joan's, the Dakota is just weird.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2015 3:31 AM

I think Joan had some good reproductions. I didn't see any Riesener commodes, Roentgen desks, Beauvais Tapestries or Faberge Imperial Eggs.

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2015 3:38 AM

It would be fun to buy a piece from Joan's. Will there be an auction?

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2015 3:50 AM

R12 it's a condo building actually. Condo boards are a joke no matter what anyone says. DL fave Geoffrey Bradfield used to live there.

A Dakota board would be far tougher. And the "bones" of such an apartment would be far better.

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2015 4:01 AM

You can still buy one of Joan's fabulous Russian Style Faberge Eggs for $179 at the Shopping Channel or 7.99 at Goodwill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2015 4:02 AM

That's no ghost, that's a demon. Joan was plagued by demons, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2015 4:05 AM

LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2015 4:09 AM

The apartment is terribly dated and over-decorated. It looks like something Donald Trump would have lived in during the 80s. Any top designer would be appalled at how tacky it is.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2015 4:20 AM

It's not tacky, heavily decorated? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2015 4:32 AM

[quote]I never understood why anyone wants to keep an apartment in New York and then live elsewhere most of the time. It's much more economical to use a hotel. You could even hold a hotel room for the year and it would be cheaper than maintaining a home and paying taxes for something you visit four or five times a year.

You don't understand the very wealthy. It isn't about saving money, it is about proving you have a lot of money. Of course you have a place in NYC (and London, they are going through the same thing of foreigners buying tons of real estate). These people aren't trying to have to stay in a hotel (even a nice one) with the commoners.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2015 4:51 AM

For all its size, the place had only one bathroom and a very small, un-modern kitchen. Plus it was on a low floor, so no sunlight, and no southern exposure. Melissa made out like a bandit with this sale.

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2015 4:59 AM

There's no way Melissa Rivers has THAT kind of money, R30. I mean, she's wealthy, she'll never have to work again if she doesn't want to, but there's no way Joan left her enough money to buy a fuck-you apartment in all the major cities.

Those are the sort of people she wanted to sell to.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2015 5:00 AM

I would have sold it with the furniture, because that stuff is great in a museum, but awful to live with.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2015 5:00 AM

If you notice Joan had very comfortable looking contemporary California style sofas.

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2015 5:27 AM

But Joan's DNA is there. Her skin cells! Her spirit may be willing itself there! You know Joan would not like foreigners in there. But then Joan told Melissa "don't be beholden to my things." So maybe Joan's ghost will not haunt the place. Most likely her ghost is willing herself to her grandson in L.A. Yeah, that might be it. Well you can never tell about the spirits and what they do with their time in the spirit world. They can will themselves to Pluto and walk around there even. Maybe even going to other planets far out in space that are like Earth with people similar to us. When you're a spirit you could do anything without a body!

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2015 5:44 AM

Joan had a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2015 5:52 AM

R24 Thanks for the info. I didnt look that close. Once I saw 20K a month carrying charges, I thought I was a co-op.

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2015 5:56 AM

Joan told Melissa to take what she wanted and sell the rest.

by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2015 6:58 AM

It's also about parking money in safe places. London is full of huge empty houses owned by Russians and Arabs. There was an interesting piece in the Guardian last year about all the empty mansions on one particularly famous road, not far from where I live in north London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2015 7:07 AM

Not all people from the Middle East are Arab.

Although, I doubt most of you who misuse the terms care about the distinction.

by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2015 7:21 AM

No, R40, but the ones buying up NYC and London certainly are.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2015 7:30 AM

The price was so high because it was sold with all those Joan's Original Old Skin throw rugs.

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2015 7:37 AM

You kinda buried the lede there, OP. it says that Fashion Police is starting up again and Melissa is going to lead it.

by Anonymousreply 43July 4, 2015 10:49 AM

Gay men won't watch Melissa; there goes the key demographic.

by Anonymousreply 44July 4, 2015 12:45 PM

The decoration is surprisingly stodgy and WASPy IMO. I thought Joan would be more fun.

by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2021 5:46 AM

Perfect decor for a rich Arab/American/Russian.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2021 6:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!