Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Unzipped", "Pret-a-porter", "Fashion Television" and "Supermodels; what was your favorite part of The Fashion World of he 90's?

What did you adore, loathe or both about the 90's Fashion World?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327May 3, 2020 12:50 AM

The drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2015 3:23 AM

The black and white ads everywhere. Edward Furlong still looking like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2015 3:28 AM

Naomi throwing her mobile phone at a succession of hapless assistants. Kate throwing her vagina at a succession of hapless rock stars.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2015 3:39 AM

Linda was everything!

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2015 3:41 AM

R4 I was!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2015 3:45 AM

R3 Speak no evil, hear no evil, see no evil...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2015 3:47 AM

This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2015 3:51 AM

Too funky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2015 3:52 AM

R8 ...and this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2015 3:54 AM

This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2015 3:59 AM

Style With Elsa Klensch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2015 3:59 AM

Introduction of spandex blend boxer briefs:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2015 4:00 AM

Who is that, R10?

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2015 4:01 AM

R13 Sasha Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2015 4:02 AM

For the Brits:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2015 4:03 AM

When every male model had to look like Jon Kortajarena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2015 4:07 AM

When Helena Christenson did video with Chris Issac:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2015 4:08 AM

The "French" look:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2015 4:12 AM

Everything about this AND the movie it represents. Are there enough fashion personalities that it could be made today? Even supermodels feel... gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2015 4:14 AM

R19 Yes! Distinciton! Personality! Now everything is so...homogeneous. A 1983 Sears catalog had more spirit and personality than The Fashion World and by extension, Hollywood, does now.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2015 4:20 AM

More Calvin Klein ads:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2015 4:23 AM

Animal prints everywhere:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2015 4:23 AM

Garamond glasses (Jason Lewis in Guess ad):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2015 4:27 AM

This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2015 4:31 AM

Floppy hair and fringe on men:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2015 4:40 AM

MTV House of Style, when guests on it looked like adults:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2015 4:41 AM

Tyson Beckford selling underwear for Ralph Lauren:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2015 4:45 AM

Champagne supernova:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2015 4:48 AM

Back when she owned the newsstand, in red:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2015 4:56 AM

Colorful Versace and bouffant-ful French twists:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2015 5:06 AM

More 90's Jason Lewis with Garamond sunglasses:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2015 5:10 AM

Linda in pink:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2015 5:23 AM

I loved House of Style as a flyover teen, but mostly for Todd Oldham. Never could stand Cindy Crawford.

Alternative models like Eve and Jenny Shimizu seemed so cool to me. Are there any models like that now, with big old tattoos on their head? I also liked Shalom Harlow, Kate Moss, and Milla Jovovich. And who didn't like Marcus Schenkenberg? The mainstream supermodels bored me.

LOVED this CK ad campaign and all the pearl-clutching that ensued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2015 7:59 AM

I find this a most fascinating thread.

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2015 8:02 AM

Gianni Versace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2015 12:54 PM

Naomi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2015 12:56 PM

R33 With all the talk about glamazon supermodels, the 90's was really when the "regular" model was born. By regular, I obviously mean quirkily stunning, with a less classically mannequin-esque build. It seemed like Calvin Klein started his first pearl-clutching worthy ad campaign in the early 90's and never stopped, straight through the decade. The 90's Calvin Klein ads changed the entire ad environment and created an entirely new primer for the industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2015 1:04 PM

I AM this thread, darlings!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2015 1:15 PM

R38 I think it's fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2015 1:16 PM

Boxer briefs, everywhere:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2015 1:35 PM

Brooke Shields...nuff said!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 1, 2015 1:35 PM

Try again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2015 1:38 PM

They're such close pals! 1990's male models, romping. The surfer hair was such a hot trend, in my opinion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2015 1:44 PM

I think I might need to start a Jason Lewis thread. This man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2015 1:48 PM

One more:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2015 1:49 PM

Cindy C! And everything that Herb Ritts felt like doing.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2015 1:51 PM

More black and white. i didn't realize how ubiquitous it was, then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2015 1:53 PM

Soda can curlers on women. Diet soda, obviously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2015 1:54 PM

It seems like after 9/11, The Fashion World -- American, in particular -- sort of lost its identity and didn't know what role it played in society, where it belonged. The early - mid 2000's were like a listless haze for fashion. Interesting, when you think of how much power this industry has to shift Public mood and create the illusion of an era.

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2015 2:06 PM

Yes, I know Jarvis Cocker is a character and infamous tab skipper but this image is iconic '90's fashion in a nutshell:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2015 2:17 PM

Then, of course, there was the whole "70's by way of the 90's" fashion trend. That public habit of curating hasn't really abated. It seems to be a permanent cultural change that came with the internet and the plethora of choices and access to obscure things, that wasn't really possible before the WWW.

Think of it this way; what did it take to find a vintage band t-shirt or out of print record in 1980 vs. today?

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2015 2:24 PM

FashionTelevision in the 1980s and early 1990s with Jeanne Beker was fucking awesome!

Jeanne Beker became well known world wide and it was great to see this little fashion show out of Toronto on CityTV become popular all over the world.

Seeing Jeanne Beker get Monika Schnarre to admit most fashion was "shit" was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2015 2:43 PM

The work that Helmut Newton did with Nadja Auermann.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2015 3:03 PM

I loved the whole "Bongo" jeans aesthetic. Lots of ad campaigns in Arizona desert or grassy back yards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2015 4:43 PM

The urban cowboy fixation in 70% of the jean ads:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2015 4:47 PM

South Beach when I lived there from 92-94 represented that whole era to me. SoBe was it on the planet. The rent for a studio directly off Lincoln Road was $250... Eating at WPA and then going to Paragon...even when I moved in 94, they were advertising condos starting at $35,000!

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2015 5:49 PM

Fashionistas, if you have time, could you look at the video at R19 and tell me who is the fashion designer at 1:37 in the patchwork jacket (that I want to find somehow, ha). It's not an actor, it's a designer on the runway and I found a small list on wiki but figured someone here was the expert who had the answer. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2015 6:13 PM

R57 Lacroix, Sweetie. Autumn/Winter '94.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2015 6:26 PM

R58 Well, he wore it for that, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2015 6:27 PM

Thanks! Almost looked refined and muted color pallette for LaCroix in that fashion show-- or maybe they always had a wear his stuff all wrong, ha. I want that retro patchwork jacket, damnit, but at least now I know they were maybe mass produced so better luck...

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2015 6:42 PM

What I don't miss was how all the gay designers were closet cases. Male models are still closeted but designers seem to have finally come out.

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2015 6:48 PM

R60 Build your own! Get a basic pattern, pick your fabrics and make it at home. You can get a sewing machine that would've been designer quality in '94, for $60-$100 now. You can even find the machine and material at a local thrift shop for pennies on the dollar; cut pieces from clothing in good shape from the period. If it's an investment, get a tailor to re-fit it. I don't mean an expensive onea, one who tailors weddings gowns, suits, etc.

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2015 6:48 PM

R62 Thrift shops are actually goldmines for "retro" if you have the time to sift through and find things. Some things were sitting in someone's closet, you pay $20 for a designer piece and get it dry cleaned for another $20 and presto, you have something valuable to add to your wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2015 6:53 PM

Marc's grunge collection for Perry Ellis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2015 7:07 PM

Christie looking beautiful in the Jacobs grunge show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2015 7:08 PM

Kate in the grunge show, she would have been about 17 here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2015 7:09 PM

Big, faux gemstones and Byzantine styled crosses:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2015 7:10 PM

Corinne Day's early 90's heroin chic editorials in The Face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2015 7:13 PM

Rosemary Ferguson by Corinne Day in UK Vogue, early 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2015 7:15 PM

Yasmeen Ghuauri

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2015 7:17 PM

Big, button earrings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2015 7:19 PM

Kate and Rosemary in The Face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2015 7:20 PM

Lady Miss Kier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2015 7:22 PM

Stretch everything, in red, black and white and jewel tones:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2015 7:25 PM

He kind of disappeared, but Rifat Ozbek was huge in the nineties, he popularised the slip dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2015 7:25 PM

SJP in an Ozbek jacket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2015 7:26 PM

Is it just color that's missing in today's fashion? This (fabulous) thread seems to make that point. I flipped through a VOGUE Met issue the other day in a grocery store and even the ads were dull dull dull. Did it turn oddly conservative when the rest of the country/world went more free or something?

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2015 7:46 PM

Karen Mulder for Versace.

Poor Karen claimed on French TV that Prince Albert of Monaco raped her. Her Dutch parents put her in a psychiatric institution afterwards saying she had gone mad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2015 8:05 PM

Karen for Guess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2015 8:05 PM

Karen and her best pal Carla Bruni backstage at a 90's Versace show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2015 8:09 PM

R77 I don't know what's gone wrong but there's an energy missing in the industry. The 90's had lots of black and white, too (NYC was dressed in all black, top to bottom) but there's a kind of hushed exuberance no longer there. There's also this new puritanism masquerading as radical, that erases the humor from everything. Big, social battles -- even serious ones -- were fought with a sense of humor. That's why I think we've come so far, now because of the dedication to genuinely being inclusive to even difficult and/or Conservative people, in the arts industries.

What's interesting, is that if you look at the fashion World, then, the hodge-podgeness of distinct personalities was not a front, it wasn't topical. The most Tony, old money dames hung around with young party monsters. There wasn't this cliquishness and "do you know the secret word?" self-righteousness going on. Yet, there was tons of radical activism and challenging of old ways and the old guard. I think there's an inherent optimism and joyfulness now missing.

More risque Calvin Klein:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2015 8:29 PM

R81, you are an idiot with no taste.

Just kidding, wanted to see how it felt to be one of those assholes who respond that way on every thread. :)

You are dead on in your post. Who would have guessed "fun" would go out of fashion somehow?

by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2015 8:57 PM

R82 "Who would have guessed 'fun' would go out of fashion somehow?"

Right? People are too nervous about obeying these elaborate speech and presentation codes, now. They can't just figuratively let their hair down and run free. Fashion needs that space.

Ha! I love those little, diva assholes who go around the threads dismissing everyone. So cute. Maybe they should go into fashion, start a bunch of cat fights, where everyone is trying to out-success each other and some good work will emerge from it?

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2015 9:02 PM

I wonder if social media and its instant repercussions have been a contributing factor? Used to be bad dress, a magazine or two. Now you're global. Make a nasty statement like Kors, it's quoted everywhere. Social Media is making me a little nuts in general so this might be one more thing it has influenced -- badly.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2015 9:08 PM

R84 Social media has taught me that most people now think the worst of each other, even those they've worked alongside with on shared social goals, for years. I don't know if this is some kind of post 9/11, lingering paranoia malaise that we never shook off? People say stupid things, sometimes. People can be grumpy or unpleasant on occasion. But the sociopathic swiftness which with so, many people are willing to dump others into the societal garbage disposal, is disturbing. I don't understand why people can't just debate, anymore. Have a spat, cool off and get some coffee.

Now, someone looks at the queen bees of activism circles wrong and it's a worldwide witch hunt to take them down. It's chilling.

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2015 9:17 PM

R81) I feel as though we lack people like Isabella Blow. She championed stylists, had great flair and a passion for the artistry of it all. She was an original and not a botoxed Barbie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2015 9:18 PM

Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Fall 1997

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2015 9:21 PM

The world is so different now. Little sub-cultures, the likes of which produced inspirational fashion figures such as Leigh Bowery and Lady Miss Kier, and Cobain and the Riot Grrls of the 90s, have no time to develop now, anything new is pounced upon by the companies employed by the big brands to 'cool spot'. There is no underground any more for new, fresh, fun ideas to spring from.

There is also social media, which has led to an obsessional plundering of past eras as people curate their fave fashion looks on their Tumblr. A handful of key people are hugely popular and are featured endlessly in the magazines and on the fashion blogs as 'style icons'. Jane Birkin in denim hot pants. Bardot in ballet flats. Hepburn in the leggings and turtle neck. The continuous worship of these people's looks kills originality.

Then you have the overcrowded market. there are too many clothes being proceed, too many collections each year. Ebay and the 'pre-loved' sites are stuffed with cheap designer items, Most women wear a new item seven times before donating it or selling it on. So there is intense competition for the middle and mass markets. That too leads to a lack of risk, the safe bet , the approach which shifts units, is that taken by Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent. He does;t bother trying anything new. He knows that's now what fashion is about anymore. He just makes luxe versions of Topshop collections, which themselves are simply copies of looks worn by Cobain, Hepburn, Bardot. And they sell like hotcakes.

Fashion has eaten itself, in the digital age.

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2015 9:27 PM

In general, everyone seems so friggin' cautious. One wrong word and... And I'm sure that carries on down (or up) to no more Isabelle Blows too. Gotta play it safe, sell ads?

Had lunch with some guy who kept advising me to update my social media presence including twitter and daily posts, the only way to stay relevant, and I wanted to strangle him by the end of one hour. Odd how much stake he put in Social Media when I find him literally Socially Retarded.

Just like in the movie biz, fashion needs a new trailblazer.

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2015 9:29 PM

Kids somewhere need to create a scene for themselves which is not mediated, they need to get some privacy back, to create things for themselves without those things being corporatised in minutes.

Or they need to do something extreme, as extreme as punk was in its day, something that corporations don't even want to be associated with.

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2015 9:32 PM

The "jeans, gingham and fresh-faced diverse America!" everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 3, 2015 1:40 AM

The Fresh Prince prep school jacket, turned inside out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 3, 2015 1:47 AM

Take two:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 3, 2015 1:48 AM

Pastel, metallic lame material:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 3, 2015 1:50 AM

The talented Kevin Aucoin. He really created a very, particular women's makeup look of the 90's that was part old Hollywood throwback, part 90's pulp revival caricature and I think that aesthetic inspired Thierry Mugler, as well. Think; cat eyes, fake beauty marks, nude lips, like 60's Sophia Loren meets a computer generated, Roy Lichenstein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 3, 2015 2:01 AM

R5 Kevin Aucoin makeup, early 90's:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 3, 2015 2:04 AM

The stupidity that is "cultural appropriation" had not been dreamed up by "I can sense I'm almost obsolete!" activists, yet. America IS cultural appropriation, fools. As is art.

by Anonymousreply 97July 3, 2015 2:09 AM

R95) Yes. Very understated and classy, as was the look of Bobbi Brown. In fact, the "nude" look took off. I can't stand the clown look so many people sport today.

by Anonymousreply 98July 3, 2015 3:18 AM

R21 Calvin owned the 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 3, 2015 3:29 PM

Go gold or go home:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 3, 2015 3:32 PM

Stussy surfer and skater aesthetic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 3, 2015 3:36 PM

Loved the Guess ad campaigns. They still keep a similar legacy, today but I always thought the black and white, in particular, showcased the jean material well:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 3, 2015 3:44 PM

The infamous Mark Wahlberg (when he was "Marky Mark"), junk grab CK ad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 3, 2015 4:24 PM

R98 Bobbi Brown, almost single-handedly , shifted women's makeup trends in the 90's and while brick red and brown lipstick is less used, the "fresh-faced, natural look" is still the general default, today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 3, 2015 4:29 PM

The shearling barn jacket was a 90's staple:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 3, 2015 4:31 PM

MOPI shoot, classic 90's; "natural" toned shearling barn coat over graphic printed Tee or 70's button-up:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 3, 2015 4:36 PM

"Male models make half the day rate as women..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 3, 2015 4:38 PM

R107 "Professional babysitter in LA"? Would YOU leave your wife or husband alone in the house with him?

by Anonymousreply 108July 3, 2015 4:39 PM

Models love aquariums. I don't know why but they're all over them.

by Anonymousreply 109July 3, 2015 4:40 PM

Female fashion commentator sexually harasses male models. 90's Equality, my ass;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 3, 2015 4:46 PM

The very talented Kevin Aucoin, 1994. Sad he's gone:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 3, 2015 4:51 PM

R111 What he said at the end is very moving. Something everyone should listen to, today in this era of constant, public bickering.

by Anonymousreply 112July 3, 2015 4:53 PM

Loved:

Style with Elsa Klensch

Fashion TV with Jeannie Becker

House of Style

Linda, Christy, Naomi

Amber Valletta on the cover of Time

Supermodels on Vogue covers

Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Rebecca Romijn--the last of the significant SI cover girls

Post-divorce Diana, Princess of Wales

Hated:

Cindy Crawford

The Fashion Cafe

Kate Moss

Claudia Schiffer

Overalls

Prada

The death of Gianni Versace

by Anonymousreply 113July 3, 2015 5:24 PM

Loved the Liv Tyler bongo ads of the 90's and the "new flower power for the '90s" vibe they had:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 3, 2015 6:38 PM

'90s GAP ads and the new casual (James marshall from "A few Good Men"):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 3, 2015 6:43 PM

I worked 2 years for a fashion video production company in NYC in the early 90s. Just during the shows. In the 80s i was close to the fashion industry and when I was in college worked for Click for 2 years but not much at all. I was a big bust as a model.

I liked the supermodels of course and I liked their successors, too. Kristen McMenamy was a welcome breath of freakiness.

Many of the supposed bitches and vampires at fashion companies and in fashion journalism were in fact perfectly professional and even pleasant to work with.

I supposed I lied that I was tall, rail thin, good looking enough, and had a certain entre to that world when it was all the rage, and that's about it.

The best moments were when everything came together at a show, the models, their walks, the clothes, the music, and an interesting guest list, all being on point.

Technical production companies in fashion shows/video/photography are overwhelmingly hetero and macho, and the misogyny I heard on my headsets throughout the shows was vile.

But the "girls" could sell the goods and themselves and their careers, on the runway, and that was exhilarating.

by Anonymousreply 116July 3, 2015 6:56 PM

R116 Thanks for that! I bet you're too humble, too.

by Anonymousreply 117July 3, 2015 7:01 PM

Vivienne Westwood's crazy tartan, "Anglomania" period:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 3, 2015 7:09 PM

This is interesting. The preppie gang, "Lo-Lifes", where membership required the wearing of Ralph Lauren "polo". We had fashion gangs, in the 90's? Does anyone remember this?

I know Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger have gotten heat for their classic, prep look that has a running theme throughout the years but they really invented a very American brand of style, that didn't quite exist before them. American style always borrowed from Paris but by the 90's, a Preppie look that hearkened back to 30's Academe wear, really cemented that typical, American look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 3, 2015 7:23 PM

The Preppy Look got big in the late 70's and early 80's, dear. Preppy Handbook, 'member?

by Anonymousreply 120July 3, 2015 7:27 PM

R120 Yes and it references classic, English boarding school style but Ralph Lauren and Hilfiger really established it in an American way. Together, they created a very distinctly American aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 121July 3, 2015 7:37 PM

Ralph Lauren hit it in the 80s. All I'm saying is that is not a 90s fashion event.

by Anonymousreply 122July 3, 2015 7:44 PM

R122 Yes but what I meant is that the apex and stride of "American Preppie" was established in the 90's. The 80's had their pastel preppies with standards, like the white button-up being introduced but the look was perfected by RL and Hilfiger really established the jean/white shirt/khaki preppy look, with the red, white and blue palette.

by Anonymousreply 123July 3, 2015 8:09 PM

If you say so dear, but your fashion history is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 124July 3, 2015 8:10 PM

R124 You've misread what I've written: I never said "Preppie" didn't exist before the 90's. I said RL and Hilfiger were the ones that made a very, american version of it. Of course they borrowed from earlier American looks, certainly from the 30's and 50's, as 80's Preppie did. But they made a particular look that became a basic, American standard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 3, 2015 8:15 PM

R125 It was my personal opinion not some indisputable fact of fashion history.

by Anonymousreply 126July 3, 2015 8:17 PM

Another:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 3, 2015 8:20 PM

Hated: Tommy Boy, RL, Guess, , Dockers, Gap, collegiate sweatshirts, carrot-leg jeans, looking "fly".

Loved: The "Goth art student" look, variations of 70s Revival - Hippie/Glam Rock/Disco/Grunge/thrift store [all mixed together!]

by Anonymousreply 128July 3, 2015 9:08 PM

Male models who looked like men not 12 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 129July 3, 2015 9:46 PM

R129 Thank you! YES.

by Anonymousreply 130July 3, 2015 9:51 PM

R129 There's no mistaking David Gandy for a woman:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 3, 2015 10:01 PM

The incredible, artistic drama of Alexander McQueen. I think Isabella Blow was probably a great, creative influence on him but they fed into each-other's tendency towards melancholy. In the end, it was like they pushed each-other to the edge, without meaning to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 3, 2015 10:11 PM

Tom Ford took over the creative directorship of Gucci in 1994 and the look he developed there - slim flares in velvet, silk shirts, sleek glossy centre parted hair, nude lip, heavy kohl eyes, was hugely influential.

Kate in the 1995 show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 3, 2015 10:19 PM

Madonna wears the look at the 1995 VMAs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 3, 2015 10:19 PM

Borrowing from Halston for the 1996 Gucci collection. These looks could be worn today and look entirely modern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 3, 2015 10:22 PM

Linda walks for Gucci in 1997

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 3, 2015 10:24 PM

R134 I know there is a loyal crew of Madonna haters on DL and I know the criticism of this video is that she ended the underground voguing scene, by touching it with a mainstream hand but this video is very much an ode to '90's Fashion and Fashion photography (obviously, in the way it referenced George Hurrell's photographs of stars):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 3, 2015 10:26 PM

Carolyn Bessette working a restricted monochrome palette of Ann Demeulemeester, Prada, Hermès and Gap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 3, 2015 10:31 PM

Jean-Paul Gaulthier's fabulous costumes for The Fifth Element. I can't believe the film is nearly 2 decades old...where does the time go? But the designs still look completely fresh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 3, 2015 10:31 PM

That Alice band become a thing for a while

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2015 10:32 PM

Alek Wek:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2015 10:33 PM

Poster girls for sleek mid 90's minimalism, Christie and Kelly Klein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2015 10:34 PM

R141, that's Wek walking in McQueen's first Paris couture show for Givenchy. He slapped Eva Herzigovina backstage for something, she was in tears.

by Anonymousreply 143July 3, 2015 10:35 PM

R143 Brilliant but unbalanced.

by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2015 10:38 PM

Coked -up McQueen called Eva Herzigovina a 'fucking bitch'!

'A former design assistant also recalls that McQueen once called Eva Herzigova "you fucking bitch," and manhandled her backstage at a show. Herzigova cried on the runway. '

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2015 10:38 PM

Fighting back the tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2015 10:40 PM

He was an artist, more than a fashion designer. An astonishing talent, sorely missed.

The 1998 McQueen show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2015 10:42 PM

No love for us then, bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2015 10:45 PM

R147 Every, one of his shows were like elaborate ballets. With all the gossip about his mental health and drug problems, he sincerely was an incredible talent.

by Anonymousreply 149July 3, 2015 10:45 PM

R147 All of it, amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 3, 2015 10:52 PM

R148 The Rachel haircut! Run!!!!

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2015 10:56 PM

R140 The tortoise shell print band, too:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2015 11:00 PM

This, VF 1997:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2015 11:02 PM

Fringe haircut on Linda:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 3, 2015 11:04 PM

...and this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2015 11:05 PM

Sepia Calvin Klein. Sepia tinted ads was a big trend:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 3, 2015 11:07 PM

Gisele Zelauy, the model from Brazil. She was the "original" Gisele.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 3, 2015 11:33 PM

Love....Linda, Cindy, Campbell, and Brooke Shields.

Hate...Moss and Gisele. I think Kate Moss's heroin addiction turned me off to her, and Gisele became a stickup bitch when she married Tom Brady.

by Anonymousreply 158July 4, 2015 3:27 AM

R158 Kate was one of the lucky ones and I wonder if she knows it. It was just one, very public overdose after another for many famous faces in Fashion and Hollywood, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 159July 4, 2015 3:31 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 4, 2015 11:18 AM

Black mesh:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 4, 2015 2:00 PM

Happy Independence Day!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 4, 2015 2:01 PM

More 90's minimalism:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 4, 2015 2:02 PM

Loved the floppy surfer/skater hair on men (Werner Schreyer):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 4, 2015 2:11 PM

While the 50's style comeback launched in earnest in the 80's, by the 90's, it had softened into a kind of retro deconstruction and the glossy imitation of the 80's was gone. I also loved the soft, "Elvis" pompadours. More Werner Schreyer and Drew Barrymore for Guess:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 4, 2015 2:14 PM

This thread is everything.

by Anonymousreply 166July 4, 2015 5:49 PM

Jean Paul Gaultier's fun, cheesecake/beefcake ads of the 90's:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 4, 2015 5:53 PM

Contemporary Art was still fun in the 90's too.

by Anonymousreply 168July 4, 2015 5:54 PM

R166 I don 't get out of bed for less than $10,000...and this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 4, 2015 5:55 PM

No, Brooklyn hipsters, you didn't think of it first:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 4, 2015 5:59 PM

Marc Jacobs's infamous grunge collection, 1992.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 4, 2015 6:06 PM

Often mocked but actually pretty trend-setting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2015 6:45 PM

More colorful and graphic Versace:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 4, 2015 6:48 PM

Not fashion per se but Pierre et Gilles feel very much of the period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 5, 2015 12:48 AM

Is Kal Ruttenstein still alive?

by Anonymousreply 175July 5, 2015 3:33 AM

What killed Gisele Zelauy's career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 5, 2015 1:43 PM

Isabella Blow, "Paradise Feathers" 1993

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 5, 2015 2:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 5, 2015 2:03 PM

Plaid and hounds-tooth, everywhere:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 5, 2015 2:04 PM

Amazing Christie Vogue cover from 1993. She's superhumanly beautiful, yet likeable and warm too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 5, 2015 2:08 PM

The adorable Veronica Webb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 5, 2015 2:10 PM

Veronica and Naomi backstage at Todd Oldham, 1994

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 5, 2015 2:11 PM

Naomi Campbell and her Mother (!), Valerie on the runway, Thierry Mugler '94:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 5, 2015 2:12 PM

Mizrahi fits Veronica, 1991

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184July 5, 2015 2:13 PM

Optimism for The European Union, '94 (Christy Turlington):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 5, 2015 2:15 PM

She gets overlooked these days, but Nikki Taylor was everywhere in the early nineties and more relatable for fraus than the supers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 5, 2015 2:15 PM

Patriotic Naomi, '94:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 5, 2015 2:17 PM

R186 So awful what happened to Krissy, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 5, 2015 2:18 PM

Nikki,Vogue, 1992, in an Ungaro jacket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 5, 2015 2:19 PM

R185, we need to send that to Greece

by Anonymousreply 190July 5, 2015 2:20 PM

R188 Here's more:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191July 5, 2015 2:23 PM

Very sad, R188.

Naomi, Carla and Linda. Legs for days in Chanel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 5, 2015 2:25 PM

R190 Right?!

by Anonymousreply 193July 5, 2015 2:25 PM

Why don't women want to, at least, try to look like this anymore? Obviously not everyone is a supermodel but growing up in the 90's, I felt like women tried more, then. And it was a casual decade, too! Even exercise wear was more glam and appropriate for public outings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194July 5, 2015 2:30 PM

Bugle beads dress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 5, 2015 2:32 PM

Three piece, no tie, Armani Spring/Summer '93:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 5, 2015 2:36 PM

This happened?:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 5, 2015 2:55 PM

Whatever happened to Veronica Webb? She was once everywhere, now she seemed to have disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 5, 2015 3:50 PM

Ravishing things like this would just kind of show up in your mailbox. I so miss that time. It's not so much that I feel older, but there seemed more beauty and possibilities out there then (*is* it because I'm older?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 5, 2015 4:13 PM

I loved the 1981 Calvin Klein Jean ad with the shirtless blonde curly haired male model. I used to wonder on who the gorgeous model was.

by Anonymousreply 200July 5, 2015 4:22 PM

Justin Lazard in "Central Park West" from 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201July 5, 2015 4:23 PM

Times have changed. You remember the Supermodels from the 70s and 80s, but I have no idea of the Supermodels of today. I'm assuming because Supermodels have been replaced by celebrities, I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 202July 5, 2015 4:28 PM

The fashion bible in the 90s for me was the UK magazine The Face. Not sure how popular it was in the US, but iMO they had the best editorials with the coolest models and celebrities. I still have the one with Alexander McQueen (RIP) on the cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 5, 2015 5:54 PM

That is one scary photo.

by Anonymousreply 204July 5, 2015 5:55 PM

R199 No, it's not just because you're older. The 90's really did have a kind of rebellious optimism, that allowed advertisers to created serious, artsy ads but also showcase human beauty with a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. In a short time, we've gone from that kind of lust for life exuberance, to a deadly serious celebration of conformity that allows for few risks and few mistakes.

Advertisers and their audience had grown so culturally accustomed to The Great American Advertisement, that both knew what was going on --- someone was trying to sell something -- and the audience suspended belief for the sake of the show, in the way they would a movie. Both knew it was just art, a performance.

Now, words are "literally" rape to the supposed "rebellious" on social media and people can't laugh at themselves anymore. Think of the great personalities of all ages and imperfections, that could laugh at themselves publicly in the 90's; that was the mood, that was the general attitude.

So dab on some CKOne (just dab, please!), put on your black or white t-shirt and cowboy fit jeans and do your part to remind people that none of us are getting out of life alive, so it's time to bring that mentality back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 5, 2015 6:56 PM

I'm finding it all maddening and conservative -- in a way nobody expected, like the way "Porno Chic" turned into censorship when feminists weighed in (so much for the new sexual freedom). Odd that the 90s were so colorful and free and fun, certainly aesthetically, while a major disease was still wiping out the creative population (and general population in other countries/continents). Now that AIDS is, let's say, "under control", it's all about marriage and kids and suburbia, nothing we expected then when staying alive was the priority. I sure didn't anyway.

I remember when the Abercrombie catalogue got drummed out of existence and thinking it was a really bad sign of things to come -- and nobody fought it, the company caved quickly, all in the name of "Save the Children". That catalogue was a MAJOR part of the subject of this thread, a cool easy sexuality that I thought was beyond healthy (since the Europeans had embraced it long ago and had less teen pregnancy, disease, etc. Their teen mags even featured nude teens talking about their bodies and it didn't feel remotely tawdry. Doubt that's happening now though). I fear we are being bamboozled into the "norm" whether we want to go there or not.

by Anonymousreply 206July 5, 2015 8:26 PM

R206 ...and "the norm" is this foreboding joylessness. It's interesting how there was so much buzz, in particular about the Calvin Klein campaigns, in the 90's about some of these campaigns glamorizing victimization; when looking back, the complete opposite was true. Even the most waifish models still looked like young adults and there was a playfulness and fun in the sexuality on display in most ads not this romanticization of some false innocence or extreme perversion. Even married people with kids were allowed to have fun and have adult humor, outside the politically correct World and PC was a polite choice not a forcefully imposed, puritanism.

Calvin Klein's most provocative ad series and the models still look more adult than the arrested development we see in ads and fashion, today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 5, 2015 8:42 PM

R207 Compared to so, many other decades, advertising in the '90's was among the most unapologetic-ally adult; those adults also happened to be unapologetic-ally fun and vital, too.

by Anonymousreply 208July 5, 2015 8:45 PM

Bright Chanel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209July 5, 2015 8:47 PM

Dan Cortese for Iceberg, Fall/Winter 1994/95

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 5, 2015 8:50 PM

R207 Some of these models were young and yes, their use was questionable but there's a cynicism that was actually lacking in those ads, when we look back. Fashion ads are more sinister, now.

by Anonymousreply 211July 5, 2015 8:56 PM

Adult sexuality, of all kinds is now taboo in any, public sphere to the point of weirdness. The Elephant in The Room has just grown bigger and everyone is contorting to pretend they don't see it. This means there's more possibility for genuine perversion, in a destructive sense, filling that vacuum. It's not for nothing that the most popular novel and film franchise of recent years, was about a virgin-esque, child-woman being beaten and dominated for her pleasure, by a male character that's like some Femme-fantasy version of a Bret Easton Ellis character.

A couple of years ago, Joanna Lumley called it the rapid growth of "child's manners" for adults. Some people waved it off, as if she was insulting our more genteel time but that's not what she meant: Ignore the very adult nature of adulthood and things get weird.

by Anonymousreply 212July 5, 2015 9:03 PM

R212 Sorry, I meant "Children's [morals]" not manners.

by Anonymousreply 213July 5, 2015 9:04 PM

More CK:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 5, 2015 9:09 PM

CK, 1995. No one would confuse them for children:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 5, 2015 9:17 PM

All of this was created pre-internet.

The posters who are saying there is a joyless, even sinister aspect to marketing of pop culture and fashion now are right.

There is an overwhelming jadedness, and a lot of that comes from the fact that the culture is saturated in internet porn and a lot of it comes from a post 9/11, permanent war, endless terrorist atrocities culture.

by Anonymousreply 216July 5, 2015 9:33 PM

Also all these models, apart from the 'heroin chic' styling of Corrine Day's shoots, look so ALIVE, and healthy and vital. And happy, in many of the shots, beaming away. It made you feel good to look at them.

Compre to this nonsense, current season Saint Laurent, trying oh so desperately to be edgy and shocking. Looks like a corpse in a frock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 5, 2015 9:36 PM

R216 So, incredibly correct. Risque is now irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 218July 5, 2015 9:37 PM

R217 Exactly! Whatever criticism you could give to 90's fashion ads and models, they looked vital, engaged -- gasp! -- fun. They looked like they were, either, having fun, in deep "cafe intellectual" discussion or in the throes of vital, lustful passion.

They looked...social.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 5, 2015 9:41 PM

[quote]There is an overwhelming jadedness, and a lot of that comes from the fact that the culture is saturated in internet porn and a lot of it comes from a post 9/11, permanent war, endless terrorist atrocities culture.

Also so much of journalism today relies on "clickbait," purposely trying to outrage people. Sensationalism has always been around, but it was never so insidious, and people didn't spend all day commenting and arguing over every "problematic" thing someone might have said or did. Imagine how many wanky thoughtpieces you would have to wade through if those CK ads came out today.

by Anonymousreply 220July 5, 2015 9:43 PM

R217 Even the infamous CK campaigns, CKOne, showed moody, waifish people...but they're chatting, dancing (well, headbanging), kissing, walking, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 5, 2015 9:44 PM

R220 Imagine the "Stepford Students" of today weighing in on this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222July 5, 2015 9:47 PM

My favorite pic of Naomi. I don't really like her that much otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223July 6, 2015 12:57 AM

This thread turned out well.

by Anonymousreply 224July 7, 2015 4:18 PM

R224 Are you being facetious?!

by Anonymousreply 225July 7, 2015 5:46 PM

no, I like it

by Anonymousreply 226July 7, 2015 6:19 PM

R226 Very well, then. You may proceed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227July 7, 2015 6:26 PM

I shall, R227, and I shall raise you your Sunflowers with my Demeter 'Dirt'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 7, 2015 6:31 PM

Oatmeal colored, linen tweed and graphic print, button-up shirts:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229July 7, 2015 6:33 PM

R228 Have you tried "Firefly"? It's pure, Summer twilight.

by Anonymousreply 230July 7, 2015 6:34 PM

It's sounds both enchanting and intriguing, R230. Like the nineties themselves.

by Anonymousreply 231July 7, 2015 6:37 PM

Style.com, bitches! It was my introduction to an online community.

by Anonymousreply 232July 7, 2015 6:43 PM

R232 Yes! Yes! Yes!

by Anonymousreply 233July 7, 2015 6:49 PM

I dunno I'd say 80's fashion tops 90's fashion.

by Anonymousreply 234July 8, 2015 1:47 AM

I dunno I'd say 80's fashion tops 90's fashion.

by Anonymousreply 235July 8, 2015 1:47 AM

R235 It was very adventurous but not as lasting.

by Anonymousreply 236July 8, 2015 1:49 AM

Was anybody into APC?

by Anonymousreply 237July 8, 2015 2:14 AM

R229 In Vogue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 8, 2015 2:46 AM

R237 The jeans?

by Anonymousreply 239July 8, 2015 2:46 AM

VF interview (Video Fashion) of my new, 90's guy obsession, Jason Lewis. Some footage from "Beverly Hills 90210", too:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240July 8, 2015 7:19 PM

Lauren Ezersky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 8, 2015 9:31 PM

Beverly Peele, perhaps Naomi's closest competition, was a brilliant model during her brief time, here's a picture.

One thing i'm not sure has been mentioned is the post 90s drop in quality of fashion photography. Lack of creativity? The move from film/darkroom to digital? The ads used to be striking works of art... leaping off the page. Now they're sexy high-def pics of celebrities with the same lighting and styling, ugh. I miss models on the covers of magazines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 9, 2015 7:02 PM

Roshumba Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 10, 2015 6:01 PM

I'm a really big fan of Issac Mizrahi as a person (he seems like a total sweetheart) though I do love his designs and wish he's been kept on to work Liz Claiborne, longer. I think it was just a matter of timing because he's really accessible and would've done wonders for the J.C. Penny brand if he'd been allowed to expand his influence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 10, 2015 6:36 PM

I thought the luxe knits and satin combo trend was an interesting one. It really relied on the quality of materials and one, ingenious cut. In '97, Claire Danes wore the look at The Oscars. In Calvin Klein and the popular powder blue that lingered around, steadily, from '95-'97:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 10, 2015 6:45 PM

Eat your heart out, Caitlyn Jenner:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 10, 2015 7:00 PM

The great "Youtube" user, '90's fashion, is to thank for most of these videos. LA street style, 1994:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 10, 2015 7:04 PM

Boy, do those fabrics pucker, R245. And that's the high end there.

by Anonymousreply 248July 10, 2015 7:09 PM

R242 Here's a jeans photoshoot that shows how much, up until very recently, when into these shoots. There still is on-site work being done today but so much of the lighting adjustments and clean-up is being done in an office. We forget that up until recently, if you wanted certain light in a particular place, you had to show up at that place and be ready for a certain time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 10, 2015 7:09 PM

Muscled queens and their Doc Martens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 10, 2015 7:59 PM

R248 True but the bias/satin trend was kind of a secret test of skill. You almost wonder if designers did it to say: "See, I'm so good, I can cut this sheath in only three places and make a cohesive look."

by Anonymousreply 251July 10, 2015 9:30 PM

R242 I agree. It's like the same template is being used for every ad from a major fashion house or legacy brand, these days. Is this just the economical thing? The limitation of the training of newbies who are working for a 1/10th the old prices? This is also a very, non PC view but I'm really not for "accessible" models on covers.

by Anonymousreply 252July 10, 2015 9:38 PM

fucking bicycle shorts and Downtown Julie Brown

by Anonymousreply 253July 10, 2015 9:41 PM

Donna Karen taupe was nice. Her whole luxe, neutral knits hearkened back to Coco Chanel's first collections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254July 11, 2015 1:25 PM

R254 The DKNY sportswear, too. It was hard for gym bunnies to look sloppy in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255July 11, 2015 1:29 PM

Sportswear International, February '94:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256July 11, 2015 1:31 PM

The club kids, whose demented manga cartoon / Leigh Bowery / industrial goth / drag look was massive in the dance / rave scene of the 90s both in NYC and London

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257July 11, 2015 1:37 PM

Michael Alig, James St James and Bjork in 92

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258July 11, 2015 1:38 PM

Ritchie Rich and Michael Alig on Jerry Springer in full 90's club regalia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259July 11, 2015 1:45 PM

R259 Was that the episode when the cute, military guy stood up in the audience and everyone expected him to give a raving lecture against them but he said they were really creative and fun, instead?

by Anonymousreply 260July 11, 2015 1:47 PM

Yes, R260, it was! The guy was a real sweetie.

Chloe Sevigny, mid 90s, in a tee designed by Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon for her X Girl range

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261July 11, 2015 1:51 PM

Kim, Paper cover, 1994

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 11, 2015 1:53 PM

This 1994 Calvin Klein ad. Very St. Sebastian:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263July 11, 2015 1:55 PM

You've given me an idea for a thread, R263..

by Anonymousreply 264July 11, 2015 1:59 PM

Why Gisele Zelauy's career ended when Gisele Bundchen arrived on the modeling scene in the late 1990's? They were both from Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 265July 11, 2015 8:36 PM

R265 I don't know but it is odd how that crossover happened. It could be coincidental but I'm surprised Zelauy wouldn't find other work as she got older. Brazilians are usually in high demand because they have such a diverse, ethnic heritage that so many look racially ambiguous and that's a good selling point for a company that wants its product to look relatable and appealing, to the widest audience.

by Anonymousreply 266July 11, 2015 9:03 PM

Thanks for the info, r266.

by Anonymousreply 267July 12, 2015 9:40 AM

Another great Linda gif:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268July 13, 2015 10:03 PM

Shalom Harlow - 1995

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269July 13, 2015 10:34 PM

R8 For you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270July 14, 2015 2:26 PM

Terry cloth, bowling polos. I liked the micro-terry material everywhere, that had a '70s mood to it (Alex Lundqvist, 1994)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271July 14, 2015 2:32 PM

Son of Dorchester, Maaaky Maaak for Calvin Klein:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 14, 2015 2:35 PM

House of Style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 16, 2015 3:06 PM

An article about Kim Gordon's X-Girl fashion line, including the pretentious "X-Girl Movie 1995" video with Chloe Sevigny. It's 16 minutes long, but I barely made it to 30 seconds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 16, 2015 4:08 PM

Marisa Berenson at the Cannes Festival in 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275July 18, 2015 5:51 PM

Bump this thread.

by Anonymousreply 276July 20, 2015 3:58 PM

I used to set my VCR to record "Fashion Television" and "The Week in Rock" on MTV every week. Fashion Television was edited very well, and there were a lot of songs I heard for the first time on it, like "Free" by The Martinis. It was better than Cindy Crawford's show, and also Elsa Klench on CNN. Jeanne Beker knew how to host, and wasn't afraid of showing some of the douchebags and bitches she sometimes encountered.

by Anonymousreply 277April 9, 2016 2:48 AM

R277 Jeanne Beker is a Canadian icon.

by Anonymousreply 278April 9, 2016 2:51 AM

Excitement and drama!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 9, 2016 3:29 AM

Actual talent and not just tumbler talent:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 9, 2016 3:41 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281April 9, 2016 3:48 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282April 9, 2016 3:51 AM

R282 I meant that it looked like more fun and I could be idealizing but I'd appreciate anyone who was part of this proving me wrong, if I am.

by Anonymousreply 283April 9, 2016 3:52 AM

Although Cindy Crawford was considered to be the biggest model of the era, she had to look at Niki Taylor as a little bit of threat when she came onto the scene. Niki was younger, taller, sexier, nabbed the prestigious Cover Girl campaign, and even had the same mole above her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 284April 9, 2016 4:19 AM

Niki Taylor's sister was the one who asthma-ed to death, right?

by Anonymousreply 285April 9, 2016 4:25 AM

R285 Yeah, there's something on it upthread.

by Anonymousreply 286April 9, 2016 4:29 AM

I heard Richard Martin, the costume curator, speak a few months before he died. He was arguably the best in his entire field. And at the end of his life, he realized his work really meant nothing. I was reminded of Martin recently when Letterman said he "finally" realized his work had been meaningless -- but at least he's still around to do something of value (although it remains to be seen if he will).

Fashion is, at best, a zero sum game.

by Anonymousreply 287April 9, 2016 2:01 PM

Grunge was horrid but the early 90's were fabulous. The models looked so healthy and womanly until the heroin chic/grunge trend ruined everything.

by Anonymousreply 288April 9, 2016 2:06 PM

R287 I wouldn't say it was meaningless; fashion has such an impact on emotion, on the mood of an era. There'a a great deal of hope in being able to create the idea of a fresh start for human beings, season after season, so they always have the choice to symbolically try something new. There are people who have gotten through the hardest points in their lives, like during The Great Depression or wars, clinging to a beautiful and inspiring image and artwork that comes alive on a living, breathing person.

Like all talents, I think it's really what you use it for and what kind of impact you leave on the world that determines the value of what you've created. Curating costumes is preserving pieces of history that are tied to the hopes, dreams, the feelings of a generation. How can that be meaningless? What matters is if someone performs their talent with a true love for humanity. There's a reason why some people are obsessed with collecting and preserving certain things. The great thing about fashion and those who create is they can always change, they can always decide to not be bleak or to offer a different message to the world and an era, whenever they choose to start anew.

by Anonymousreply 289April 9, 2016 2:08 PM

R288 Healthy and manly, too. Though men were allowed to look that way a little longer into the era.

by Anonymousreply 290April 9, 2016 2:10 PM

r289, I hear what you are saying. But Martin himself knew he had wasted his life and it was heartbreaking. There was a Columbia physician in the room (Martin's partner worked at Columbia) and this MD had dedicated his life to finding a cure for asthma. He and Martin were the same age and the contrast between the two of them was too much to bear. It's not a question of finding "meaning," it's a questions of work really being meaningful (which is different).

by Anonymousreply 291April 9, 2016 2:21 PM

R291 I'm saddened to hear that. Without downplaying the great achievements of anyone, I'm a strong believer in their being no one or two great thing that can be done for mankind. Artists keep people emotionally connected to their humanity and in research fields and medicine, this can be vital to maintaining ethics and not falling into being de-sensitized to the humanity of what you do.

Even if you are not a religious person, differences exist for a reason, even if you are to look at it from an evolutionary perspective, where what was needed to ensure the vitality and endurance of humanity was built over time. If you are a religious person, you see that different people exist to add something needed to the world and what's important is keeping a focus on doing things with the most character and sense of duty to humanity, that you can do them.

If that's creating and curating fashion, you should be creating things that have the kind of impact on the world that you think will educate, intellectually or creatively challenge or make it better humanely. There should be some real soul- searching that goes on when you create something that you know will form or influence a generation, that will shift public mood. While the responsibility of that role is not as tangible as holding a scalpel, needle or beaker, it is still a great responsibility, nonetheless. That is the challenge we all face, everyday, no matter what work we've chosen to pursue.

by Anonymousreply 292April 9, 2016 2:39 PM

R292 I'm going to continue my rant because I'm feeling it. Every time a society has disregarded the arts and music, disregarded these things that emotionally connect us to our societies and the people in them, those societies fall into the same traps: Totalitarianism, eugenics, violence.

That doesn't mean scientists and doctors are naturally cruel or inhumane, it's just that there is a simplicity, efficiency and logic to some of the above ideas and without different people, with different talents and gifts checking each other and responding to each other, extremism takes over. Monoculture creates an imbalance in society where people are missing things they need to grow, work and love.

We need different people, different strengths at different times. Sometimes we need to be accepted and nurtured. Sometimes we need to be taunted and challenged. Humans need all of these things, we need each other. We need what we can offer each other. And to pretend only one kind of person and gift is necessary, when art or science starts to be subservient to the other, ignores all the things human beings need to have a good, just society and World that DESERVES to persevere and a species that DESERVES to live on, if there is any justice or meaning in this existence or even in a moment.

Fini.

by Anonymousreply 293April 9, 2016 3:14 PM

What did I loathe about the 1990's fashion world?

All of the American designers.

'90s minimalism gave them a free ride. None created original looks. None created lasting luxury brands (I'm not included Ralph Lauren here because he pre-dates the 90s).

And they knew nothing about accessories.

Donna Karan was probably the only one who had promise but she fizzled out. They all launched down market lines...which is fine ...but they all eventually became too associated with down market stuff.

Isaac Mizrahi was the biggest, no talent joke. You can't create a fashion brand AND be the center square on the Hollywood Squares. It's just not going to work.

by Anonymousreply 294April 9, 2016 3:15 PM

R294 But Mizrahi had a fizzy joyfulness that seeped into his collections and that's seriously lacking in today's fashion world. If they all were like that, it would have been overload but he offered a fashion release valve that was needed at the time. And he seems like a genuinely sweet guy. There was a lot of diversity in 90's designer perspectives.

by Anonymousreply 295April 9, 2016 3:22 PM

R295 The operatic rebelliousness of McQueen and Westwood was suited to the doses they were delivered in. American 90's prep style even had a role as a sort of palette cleanser for the more intense stuff. Back to the idea of monoculture: Fashion monoculture is today's Fashion world. In the 90's, it was an abundance of fashion diversity that was symbiotic, yet still combined to create the overall mood of an era.

by Anonymousreply 296April 9, 2016 3:25 PM

Isaac paved the way for fashion designer "personalities" like Marc Jacobs.

by Anonymousreply 297April 9, 2016 3:25 PM

The problem with today's fashion world is that there's too much dispersion of everything, like a wave trying to reach equilibrium. It's not fashion chaos as a statement, it's just the homogeneity of fashion: Everything is urban, slouchy, eclectic, etc. All the mess has sort of reached it's own state of non-descript equilibrium; it is all eclectic and "different" in the exact same way.

Designers have to take risks on collections again, liek they are the launch of an entirely new product and offer something distinct that can't be reproduced in every, other collection. At the same time, designers have to think like investors and advertisers as well and try fashion divining, to predict trends by listening to the people and what their souls need. What they need right now, in this time. that's where the talent really comes in.

by Anonymousreply 298April 9, 2016 3:31 PM

I know this may be a bit off topic, but when did all these "celebrity so-and-so has his/her own clothing line" start? All I can remember from the late 80s/90s in that regard was Brooke Shields' jeans line. I swear I woke up one day and all I could see where celebrities hawking their clothes and accessory lines (which is basically license agreements where fashion houses and manufacturers use a celebrity's name to sell the line).

by Anonymousreply 299April 9, 2016 3:35 PM

[quote]I swear I woke up one day and all I could see where celebrities hawking their clothes ...

my apologies, I meant were.

by Anonymousreply 300April 9, 2016 3:37 PM

Richard Martin realized fashion isn't art in any real sense of the term. And that's part of what got to him at the end. Of course art and music are important. Fashion? No. You can put it in the Met but that doesn't make it art.

by Anonymousreply 301April 9, 2016 3:40 PM

R301 Fashion is the identifier of an era and the one creative endeavor that completely shift a society's mood -- rather than specifically an individual's, a collective of them -- in a moment. Yes, of course that's art.

by Anonymousreply 302April 9, 2016 4:05 PM

There are smells that are the identifier of an era -- and fashion is far from the one creative endeavor that completely shift a society's mood -- rather than specifically an individual's, a collective of them . It's not art -- except to people who don't understand art. And, in any case, it's nothing to devote one's life to.

by Anonymousreply 303April 9, 2016 5:05 PM

R303 Is that so? What makes you so sure I don't understand art?

by Anonymousreply 304April 9, 2016 5:07 PM

r303, a person who equates fashion with art doesn't understand art.

by Anonymousreply 305April 9, 2016 5:12 PM

R305 Well then, that settles that, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 306April 9, 2016 5:16 PM

R305 You think fragrance isn't art? Really? Purely functional?

by Anonymousreply 307April 9, 2016 5:17 PM

Fashion is art, because it can be one's way to express him/herself. And that's what art is about: Epressing oneself and inspiring others to react to it.

by Anonymousreply 308April 9, 2016 6:05 PM

Sorry, meant Expressing oneself and inspiring others to react to it.

by Anonymousreply 309April 9, 2016 6:06 PM

Behind The Velvet Ropes with Lauren Ezersky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310April 9, 2016 7:42 PM

Art is about asking, and answering, questions. This confusion about something so basic is symptomatic of the general dumbing-down of the population and of rampant egocentricism that would confuse "self" expression with art.

by Anonymousreply 311April 9, 2016 7:48 PM

I always thought Elle Macpherson, Rachel Hunter and Gisele were hot catalog swimsuit models, but their faces nowhere near supermodel quality as Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista, Helena Christensen.

by Anonymousreply 312April 9, 2016 8:22 PM

Fashion may not be considered art in the USA...but in France and Italy it certainly is.

by Anonymousreply 313April 9, 2016 8:40 PM

Agree with R312.

by Anonymousreply 314April 9, 2016 9:54 PM

Someone on the Linda Evangelista thread said that Shana Zadrick was low-rent and trailer-park, but I thought she was HOT. She's got that sexy Linda face with big tits, and an expression as if she's seeing a penis for the first time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 9, 2016 10:30 PM

R132 Let's face it, Giselle is Steffi Graff with a smokin' hot body.

by Anonymousreply 316April 9, 2016 10:38 PM

I liked Kelly Emberg's cool, low-key persona. She, along with Renee Simonsen and Kim Alexis, had faces that defined the early 80s model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317April 9, 2016 11:14 PM

Drew 'flower-childs" it up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318April 10, 2016 2:04 AM

SHALOM HARLOW CATWALK VERSACE SPRING SUMMER(MILAN) 1995-1998.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 10, 2016 1:56 PM

R311 You'd be surprised to know that most artists create an "answer" only to struggle in finding the question. Those who experience the art can explore it and decide that for themselves. Of course fashion fits into your definition of art.

by Anonymousreply 320April 10, 2016 2:02 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 321February 3, 2017 2:51 AM

Bump for stories. I know some of you have stories.

by Anonymousreply 322August 1, 2017 7:39 PM

A designer these days couldn't do a "Nanook of the North" story (Mizrahi) or "Hasidic" story (Gaultier) without SJWs screaming "CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!!". Meh.

Fucking Thierry Mugler y'all. Glamazons indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 1, 2017 10:16 PM

Gap's Fall 1993 Fashion Show, of course!

Starring DL Perennial Fave, the Heterosexual Shemar Moore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324August 1, 2017 10:26 PM

R324 Shemar is adorable!

by Anonymousreply 325August 1, 2017 10:41 PM

Friendship

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326May 3, 2020 12:44 AM

STOP THE BUMP INSANITY

by Anonymousreply 327May 3, 2020 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!