Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Delores Del Rio

The Mexican Marlene Dietrich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2021 11:00 PM

Later in life she slept a minimum of 12 hrs daily to maintain her beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2015 5:47 AM

They say she was the most beautiful woman in Hollywood. She had it all.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2015 5:50 AM

Is she related to Bianca Del Rio?

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2015 5:51 AM

I liked her daughter, Vanessa Del Rio, better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2015 5:56 AM

Dolores del Rio mural on Hollywood & Hudson:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2015 6:01 AM

And it's Dolores (with an 'o'), as in Nuestra Señora de Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows).

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2015 6:08 AM

Wasn't Dolores Del Rio the one who gave herself chamomile tea enemas as beauty supplement?

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2015 6:15 AM

Elsa Schiaparelli once said: "I have seen many beautiful women in here, but none as complete as Dolores del Rio." I hope Dolores didn't buy one of her gawdaful lobster dresses where it looks like the lobster is crawling out of the wearer's vagina.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2015 6:19 AM

She and Marlene Dietrich supposedly had an affair. Also I remember reading years ago that Orson Welles, who also had an affair with her, said she had the "most exquisite" underwear he'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2015 7:08 AM

Una gran y bella dama de hace mucho tiempo (1905-1983)

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2015 7:19 AM

Rather a big deal when she quit Hollywood to move to Mexico where she became the queen of Mexican cinema.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2015 7:54 AM

Gross pig

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2015 8:12 AM

What about ME?

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2015 6:22 PM

She's the K-Fed of old time Latina actresses.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2015 6:42 PM

Haha R4 I thought of Vanessa when I first seen this thread. I've heard a few gay men saying they modeled their head techniques after hers. She was certainly a heated performer.

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2015 6:46 PM

Once married to famed set designer Cedric Gibbons, they had a balcony off of their bedroom inside the house and they had a ritual in which Cedric would stand below and beg Dolores for admittance to their boudoir. He made out more often that not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2015 1:29 AM

Dolores Del Rio was not the only Mexican diva in those days!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2015 1:33 AM

DDL is another example of the big head thread theory for movie stardom. What a big beautiful head.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2015 2:01 AM

The Gibbons-del Río marriage supposedly ended when Dolores began a torrid affair with the much younger Orson Welles, who would go on to direct her in JOURNEY INTO FEAR (1943). After the affair ended, Welles would marry that other Hollywood Latina, Rita Hayworth. However, despite having known and loved Rita, the love goddess herself, Welles would describe del Río as the great love of his life.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2015 3:09 AM

Interesting mural, R5. When was that painted?

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2015 3:47 AM

Mexican Spitfire Lupe Velez, who specialized in playing volatile, trampy spitfires used to play up her supposed rivalry with Dolores del Rio by goading her in print and publicly mocking her aristocratic bearing and Grand Lady of Film persona, branding her a snob and malinchista. Del Rio refused to take the bait and avoided Lupe like the plague. She thought her too aggressive and was actually quite scared of her. Lupe, after all, had a history of violence, stabbing and firing a pistol at her then lover Gary Cooper and beating another lover Erich Maria Remarque with her shoe.

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2015 3:52 AM

R21, the mural, by Alfredo de Batuc, was painted in 1990, and has been touched up a few times since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2015 4:10 AM

That's intriguing, R22, I never knew she had a rivalry with Lupe Velez. Lupe looks likes she's trying to emulate her in some pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2015 4:29 AM

I always thought that Dolores Del Rio was the most beautiful of Classic Mexican Cinema....until I discovered Maria Felix. Miss Felix was The Biggest Star of 1940's & 1950's Mexican Cinema & quite a beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2015 4:51 AM

Miss Felix remained STUNNING all of her life! Here she is in her mid/late 60's, looking exquisite in her Cartier Snake Necklace & the Ashoka Diamond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2015 4:57 AM

I was just about to say that. Still gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2015 5:10 AM

Maria Montez puts them all to shame. And was famous in America (unlike Maria never-heard-of-her Felix).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2015 5:14 AM

Dolores del Rio makes up on of the four pillars in that tacky Four Ladies of Hollywood public art gazebo on the corner of Hollywood and La Brea. The other three are Dorothy Dandridge, Anna May Wong, and Mae West. And atop the spire is a miniature Marilyn Monroe with skirt billowing. Tacky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2015 5:33 AM

Can someone draw me a hot bath?

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2015 5:56 AM

What is it in human nature that makes people so associative and contrary? Maria Montez or Marie Felix do not have features that compare with the classical beauty of Dolores Del Rio. I have never given any of them any thought, but DDL has as close to a perfect visage as I have ever seen. Yes there are more sexy or pretty women, but there is no one as beautiful. I have never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2015 6:21 AM

Sure seems like there were a lot of very popular Hispanic movie stars back then. To hear the PC crowd tell it, there was no one until Selma Hayek!

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2015 11:40 AM

Why does every Mexican girl have the same eyebrows, even then?

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2020 4:49 PM

Maria Felix was the Mexican Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2020 4:55 PM

[quote]Sure seems like there were a lot of very popular Hispanic movie stars back then.

Hollywood became more racist towards Mexican actors. The rise of president Herbert Hoover really changed the landscape of Hispanics in American pop culture. They were practically wiped out.

It tells you a lot that in [bold]2020[/bold] there are less Hispanics working in the entertainment business than pre-Hoover years.

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2020 5:14 PM

I remember her from an episode of [italic]Marcus Welby, MD[/italic] where she played the glamorously terminally ill mother of Nurse Consuelo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2021 7:52 PM

She was no Maria Montez.

"It takes a Maria Montez to say of Orson Welles, 'He is every bit as spectacular as I am!'"--jacket copy for the 40s paperback "Hollywood Without Make-Up"

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2021 8:06 PM

And Maria Montez was no Lupe Velez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2021 8:09 PM

I’ve never seen her in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2021 9:29 PM

I preferred Dolores Del Lago, the toast of Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2021 9:33 PM

I see... me! Alexandra del Lago, artist and star!

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2021 9:37 PM

Marlene Dietrich was THE Mexican Marlene Dietrich

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2021 9:43 PM

I've read that Dolores was seeing Billie Holiday (yes the singer) while she was dating Orson Welles,

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2021 9:58 PM

Félix was married four times. Her first marriage (1931–1938) was with the cosmetics sales agent Enrique Álvarez Alatorre.[17] He fathered her only child, actor Enrique Álvarez Félix. According to journalist Sergio Almázon, once she found her son wearing a white dress and necklace. Infuriated, she beat him unconscious.[18] Álvarez retaliated by taking their son to Guadalajara. Years later Félix was able to get her son back with the help of her second husband, Agustín Lara.[

Sounds like Felix really was the Mexican Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2021 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!