Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What ever happened to Lora Pettay?

She was poised to be a huge star with lead roles in The League of Her Own and The Girl with the Tank but then nothing much since? Was she just tooo talented for H'Wood?

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2021 3:26 PM

Dear lord, OP, couldn't you at least get either her first or last name right?

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2015 2:58 PM

It's Lori Petty and the movie was "Tank Girl," OP.

Google just told me she's on "Orange is the New Black."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2015 3:05 PM

OP, have you not heard the story about Joel Silver watching the day's rushes from "Demolition Man" with Lori Petty and Sylvester Stallone? He was producing it. He said "she looks like a carpet muncher" and fired her. He then hired Sandra Bullock to replace her, and the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2015 3:19 PM

She takes herself too seriously. If she was as talented and as cool as she thinks she is, she'd have a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2015 6:12 PM

She shops at Targay.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2015 6:16 PM

She's on Orange is the New Black where she plays a character called Lolly. She'll be back next season I think.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2015 6:22 PM

R6, that's Lollay.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2015 6:24 PM

She was great in that movie with Patrick Swayzay

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2015 6:40 PM

She was great in "A League of His Own", but Gina Davies and Rosey O'Donald were even better!

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2015 1:53 AM

The only film I liked her in was Point Break.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2015 2:14 AM

Such a beautiful woman. I can see why she went far in the pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2015 2:22 AM

Didn't she used to sing backup for Stevie Nicks?

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2015 2:25 AM

Hollywood is a bit slow to learn in some ways, it refuses to accept that an out gay actor can do leading-man roles, and it doesn't want to believe that a woman who isn't "fuckable" can be a box-office draw. The young Petty wasn't beautiful and was kind of butch, they didn't want to use her in the sort of leading-lady roles that keep an actress's career afloat.

I loathe Melissa McCarthy, but I do give her some credit for proving them wrong about women having to be pretty to put butts in the seats.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2015 3:23 PM

Didn't she play Alison's molested sister on Melrose Place? Or am I thinking of Trini Neilsen?

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2015 4:04 PM

I always though Madonna's Girlie Show era look was sort of a rip off of Lori Petty.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2015 6:19 PM

Who the hell is "Lori Petty" R15? This thread is for the illuminous Lora Pettay only.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2015 6:22 PM

It's unfortunate superstardom has eluded Lora. I always feel that her performance in Their League with Billie Jean was Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2015 10:54 PM

r17 that was Helene Sleeter in Their League With Billie Jean, not Lora Pettay. Helene Sleeter was also in The Secret of Sucking with Michel K. Foxxy and Horrible People with Betty Middling.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2015 11:23 PM

[quote] ways, it refuses to accept that an out gay actor can do leading-man roles, and it doesn't want to believe that a woman who isn't "fuckable" can be a box-office draw.

Kathy Bates , Sarah Jessica Parker, Taryn Manning, Bette Davis, Gaby Hoffman, Chloe Sevegny, Edie Falco, Linda Hunt, Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, Cynthia Nixon, Jodie Foster, Tilda Swinton, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Barbra Streisand, Glenn Close, Elizabeth Moss, Margo Martindale, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jamie Lee Curtis, Shirley MacLaine, Rosie O'Donnell, Frances Macdormand, Patricia Clarkson, Frances Conroy, Diane Wiest, Julie Harris, Ellyn Burstyn, Ellen Barkin, Clare Danes, Cher, Cissy Spacek, Betty White, Bea Arthur, Cloris Leachman, Jean Stapleton -- they all managed to have careers as film or TV actors.

Lori Petty couldn't even manage as a character actress because she was difficult to work with and prefers to look like a cartoon character, which makes it difficult to cast her.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2015 12:20 AM

[quote]Cissy Spacek

Unfortunately, she wasn't quite as successful as her Oscar-winning cousin, Sissy.

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2015 1:50 AM

Did she ever come out? I don't think she is ugly when she "cleans up" - she looked lovely in A League of Their Own

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2015 1:54 AM

I've been a fan of Lora Pettay since "Free Willona," that family movie about the killer walrus.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2015 2:05 AM

I saw her get fingered by Doris Roberts in one of those underground celeb sex tapes the H'Wood elite pass around and use as blackmail. Her pussy looked like a smashed roast beef sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2015 11:57 PM

R19, the poster said BOX OFFICE DRAW. The only women from your list that have ever opened more than one movie by themselves successfully without a bigger male star are Bette Davis ( 50-60 years ago!) and Jodie Foster. I know we all like to pile on Jodie Foster, but she's actually quite pretty and more conventionally attractive than most of the women on your list.

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2015 12:07 AM

Behind the scenes, she was branded as difficult, impossible and mentally unstable. She got put in the Sean Young pile and left behind. I had a friend who did a tv pilot with her in the 90's and he said she was pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2015 12:42 AM

Damn, r25. No wonder Lori's career did not last too long.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2015 2:08 PM

Lori Petty not only wasn't a BOX OFFICE DRAW, she wasn't even a character actress for years because she's batshit crazy and difficult to work with. She could easily have been working in secondary roles in films and/or tv for the past 20 years, but she hadn't been doing that. Because she's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2015 2:28 PM

Another carpet muncher, R3. Although on the softer side.

by Anonymousreply 28July 2, 2015 2:51 PM

Same here, R10.

by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2015 3:00 PM

WTF happened to her. She used to be hot now she looks like wasted white trash.

by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2015 9:39 PM

She's fine! She sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2015 9:42 PM

Lora Pettay is one of my favorite character actresses!

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2015 10:36 PM

Lora Pettray divorced Dick van Dyke and moved to Minneapolis, changed her name to Mare.

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2015 12:11 AM

She was terrific in that Private Benjamin TV show. Better than Goldie.

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2015 3:19 AM

That was Lorna Patterson, r34.

by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2015 11:13 AM

R3, I remember that story about Joel Silver saying that -- even though he already had a crass reputation, it was still kind of an eyebrow-raiser to read in print that he was quoted that way. And why did he hire her in the first place if he had such reservations.

Her persona and acting style are something of an acquired taste -- no wonder the films in which she was most effective and also successful (POINT BREAK and A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN) are the one in which she is most subdued.

by Anonymousreply 36April 3, 2016 3:37 PM

I loved Lora Pettay in [italic]The Point that Breaks[/italic] and [italic]Their League of Belonging,[/italic] but [italic]The Girl with a Tank[/italic] was her masterpiece. Thank goodness she is getting good new work on the hit TV series [italic]Everyone's Fashion Statement is Orange.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 37April 3, 2016 4:04 PM

Everyone in [italic]Their League of Belonging[/italic] did fine, from Thom Hawks, Ginny Davies, and Lora Pettay to Rhodey O'Daniel and even LaDonna, who for once did not embarrass herself.

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2016 4:12 PM

I think, like Keane Rivers and Jason Lito, she's more into her rock band than acting; I really like her song "Don't Do Me Like That One More Time (Once Is Never Enough)."

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2016 4:19 PM

I always thought she looked a bit like Tracy Nelson. Maybe they should play sisters in something.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2016 6:53 PM

Fashionista!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2016 6:54 PM

The English cartoonist who created "Tank Girl", Jamie Hewlett, was sick of the character and was going to have her killed off. Run over by a milk float. Then the Hollywood movie came along and the offer of $$$$, and he said: "Hold that milk float!"

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2016 7:05 PM

Would Lori Petty's career have been better if she didn't have an ego?

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2016 10:17 PM

I think she was classified as NUTS

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2016 10:22 PM

You're killing me, R33.

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2016 10:26 PM

Thanks, r44.

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2016 10:44 PM

She brings to mind a little less edgy version of Susan Tyrell.

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2016 11:00 PM

Does Lora still have all her limbs? Maybe she could play in the Jenifer Lien Story.

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2016 11:24 PM

[quote]What ever happened to Lora Pettay?

Whatever happened to spelling Laura correctly?

by Anonymousreply 49April 3, 2016 11:31 PM

[quote]Whatever happened to spelling Laura correctly?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 50April 3, 2016 11:38 PM

Whatever happened to reading the preceding comments?

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2016 12:35 AM

Lol r9 😅

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2021 5:24 AM

She was super pretty when she broke out. Great bone structure, not unlike Gillian Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2021 2:27 PM

I've heard that she's not even gay.

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2021 2:30 PM

She just released an autobiography. Tim Honks wrote the forward and I believe Carvana Reef, Jane Jacket and Iced Coffee were interviewed.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2021 2:35 PM

Bump bitch thread

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2021 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!