Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old style New York apartment buildings

Where can you find those in NYC now? I mean the kind in the movies, where everyone knows each other, the landlady watches who comes in through her window with curlers in her hair, people hang out on the front stoop talking, laundry lines out the back windows, people smoking on the fire escape, etc. I want to find a small studio apt in a building like that to experience NYC. Would it be in Brooklyn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 3:33 PM

Only at MGM studios. Set your time travel Studebaker to 1940.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2015 4:44 PM

Sadly R1 is correct.

True neighborhoods and community are a vestige of the past. :(

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2015 4:49 PM

Beg your pardon, but the East Village has a lot of that going on. I've been here for years.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2015 4:55 PM

Robert Moses abolished New York neighborhoods in 1950.

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2015 4:58 PM

I had that when I lived in one of the Columbia U-owned apartments. Non University-affiliated people lived in the building, too. They were great. One of the ladies had been in the building for 50 years. Columbia treated them like dirt in an effort to get them to move. But they stayed and they made the building a really nice place to live.

I also saw George Stephanopoulos every day walking into SIPA.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2015 4:59 PM

R3

Is there room for all of us? I'm packing as I type.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2015 5:13 PM

OP, where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2015 5:17 PM

Los Angeles. I was watching an old movie, "My Sister Eileen" on TV. That took place in Greenwich Village, which I know is not the same today, But I thought you get have that type of set up still somewhere else. I plan to move to NYC in December.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2015 5:23 PM

Isn't Hell's Kitchen one of these neighborhoods? As well as the Lower East Side? Mind you, Mrs. Goldberg isn't going to be sticking her head out, calling "Yoo-hoo, Mrs. Bloom," but the LES is the neighborhood where that happened, 100ish years ago. Hell's Kitchen, aka Clinton, was the Irish version of same.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2015 5:23 PM

[quote]mind you, Mrs. Goldberg isn't going to be sticking her head out, calling "Yoo-hoo, Mrs. Bloom,"

LOL! That's exactly they type I was looking for!

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2015 5:30 PM

OP, I'm the person who lived at Columbia. After graduation, I moved to Sugar Hill (c. 2003) and it had a very neighborhoodish feeling. We had community picnics and neighbors watched out for one another. I left in 2008 so I can't speak to present-day Sugar Hill but you might want to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2015 5:35 PM

Big corporation are buying up all the old buildings in Brooklyn. My guess is it's the same in Queens. Staten Island is mostly private homes and Godfather types. Sadly, OP, you will need a time tunnel to find what you're looking for. I'm old enough to remember the days you're looking for and I'm heartbroken that they are gone forever.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2015 7:08 PM

Wow. Part of what I love about NYC is NOT having "friendly" buildings and neighborhoods. I hate people knowing my comings and goings. I also hate having to make small talk.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2015 7:35 PM

How do you live if you can't make small talk? It's called "small" talk for a reason. It hardly matters what you say.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2015 12:21 AM

I have a Flyover question: when I see old movies (or period movies) and the immigrants are living in big squalid, overcrowded structures...

Were those buildings built as tenements? Or are they old family homes or mansions, divided up into smaller units by slumlords?

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2015 12:30 AM

Yeah Hell's Kitchen is, but be careful what you wish for. Our super is a terrible, petty person, universally disliked. We have our fair share of people that you pointedly do not want to say hello to.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2015 12:45 AM

[quote] Or are they old family homes or mansions, divided up into smaller units by slumlords?

In the era from 1880-1940, the tenements were not old family homes or mansions divided up into smaller units. The use of those larger single-family homes as apartments was much more prevalent from the 1950s through the 1970s. By the middle of the 20th century things had changed, and almost no one had household staff to keep up those old mansions. People didn't really want them, either.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2015 12:50 AM

Some nice pre-war buildings in Inwood

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2015 12:54 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2015 1:13 AM

When did beat cops vanish? You know, the gruff Irish cop with the heart of gold who knew all the neighborhood kids and kept an eye on the ones headed for trouble.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2015 1:17 AM

Don't do it. You always have a fat broad coming over and hanging all over your Cuban husband. She brings along her fat, bald, lech of a husband who you can tell is gay from outer space. She never knocks, she just walks in, assuming you're not in the middle of getting fucked by your Cuban husband. Even when you try to move to another state, she'll follow you. You try to offer her food and she just gets sarcastic and says things like "I've had sufficient." Just don't go there.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2015 1:28 AM

Fred Mertz is gay? I hate the way they walk in each others houses. It would waste a lot of the show if they knocked though.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2015 1:38 AM

R9, there are "sections" of New York like "Hell's Kitchen" (real name Clinton), Murray Hill, Chelsea, Lower East Side, etc, in Manhattan. They are no longer neighborhoods as portrayed in old movies. Look up Robert Moses and what he did (and wanted to do) to NYC housing in the post-war period.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2015 2:35 PM

[quote] "Hell's Kitchen" (real name Clinton),

actually, Hell's Kitchen is the real historic name, it's been called that for about a hundred years. "Clinton" real estate whores made up within the past ten.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2015 2:43 PM

What about the heroin addicts? I'm sure there must be plenty of dope addicts shooting up crazy horse in those alleyways, right? Formerly hep cats who got hooked on goofballs and descended into being men with golden arms.

I sure do miss them days and the golden years of the Bowery when it was full of friendly flophouses.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2015 3:33 PM

R25 Why dont you just say you miss cheap rents?

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2015 4:22 PM

R20 Beat cops like that vanished when they could no longer box the ears of local kids as they saw fit, without getting smacked with a lawsuit for it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2015 4:34 PM

In my neighborhood, the local priest used to box our ears (LAPD wasn't into "beats.")

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2015 8:36 PM

I live I Lefferts Gardens Brookyn , OP. It's mostly a West Indies neighborhood and a good number of the older people still hang on the stoop in the Summer. A lot of people don't seem to have ac. All the buildings are 1890s to pre war so really pretty is run down sometimes. I have a beautiful 1938 huge one bedroom with 10 ft ceilings and 4 ft windows. As I'm reading this I see one of the ladies across the way hanging out her window. As for cops, last week the neighborhood kids put up a bbq grill and 25 cops showed up to write a ticket. It's not for everyone but I like it.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2015 9:42 PM

Did the baby cages come with trap doors for those "fussy" babies?

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2015 9:46 PM

[quote]Isn't Hell's Kitchen one of these neighborhoods?

If you mean the neighbors all know each other in what is referred to as the biblical sense, yes, Hell's Kitchen is indeed one of these neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2015 9:49 PM

I live in a West Village five-story walk-up with 20 apartments. We all know each other and sign for packages when someone's not home.

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2015 10:02 PM

[quote]We all know each other and sign for packages when someone's not home.

I was wondering who ate the homemade cookies my mother sent me.

by Anonymousreply 33June 28, 2015 10:08 PM

It was called both Clinton and Hell's Kitchen when I lived in NY, R24, and that was in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2015 12:23 AM

I wonder if Old New York will come back because of the exodus from New York.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 3:19 AM

Pittsburgh, OP- today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 3:23 AM

2015 BUMP TROLL strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 3:25 AM

OP, your best option is time travel back AT LEAST 40 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 3:25 AM

r35

No, because immigrants will just move in.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2020 3:36 AM

I want a place like that whore Holly Golightly. Except for the loud Oriental man upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 3:40 AM

My old roommate’s apartment on the Upper West Side was kind of like this. A lot of characters in the building and everyone knew eachother. Her neighbor was a trans woman who always wore blue wigs and had lots of cats. She still lives there but rent is upwards of 3K for a one bedroom.

I live in Astoria and my super is really friendly, we always chat in the mornings and he leaves my packages at my door for me (old building with no doormen). But I just moved in last year so don’t know many people in the building yet.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2020 4:39 AM

Don’t forget the bathtub in the kitchen. Also railroad apartments.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2020 5:33 AM

Another vote for Hell's Kitchen, even though it's a lot less of what it was at one time, during the 40s or 50s. Back then it was the go-to residential 'hood for actors, chorus boys and girls, and other assorted Broadway types. Though not a classic, movies like TheRat Race are set there, with somme on location shots of 8th Avenue to boot. And I don't recall the name, but another movie from the 50s ended with the young marrieds renting an apartment in HK that might be just what OP has in mind. A happy ending!

West 55th Street between 8th and 9th is a definite standout. Tree lined, all apartment buildings, nothing new or modern about them. So you have that, and walking east you hit 8th ave and go left. And instantly it's midtown Manhattan in all of its glorious hustle and bustle (when quarantine ends that is). You're steps away from Time Warner Center, five subway lines, that buzzing underground mostly food court that debuted about two years ago, Columbus Circle, that cool older apartment building on W 59th St (the first one, sorry I don't know the name), Central Park, Sophia's Spanish takeout, Citibike and more. I know two people (different residences) that live n W 55th and they both love it.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2020 3:09 PM

I heard this once about Manhattan compared to Brooklyn: In Manhattan, you're lucky if you know the names of the people living on the same floor as you. In Brooklyn, you know everyone in your neighborhood's name.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!