Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

White House lit in rainbow colors tonight

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 29, 2020 7:04 AM

Awww... that's nice.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2015 4:46 AM

Clarity! I AM chasing rainbows.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2015 4:47 AM

I'm drunk and it's a great day to feel like an American today. Obviously, it'll change once the next mass shooting or racially motivated murders occur but it feels nice today.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2015 5:02 AM

Fox talking heads are exploding I'm sure. Cover the chirrens eyes!

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2015 5:03 AM

It is so beautiful. It really took my breath away. Can you imagine 30 years ago when Reagan was prez and the AIDS pandemic was in full force that one day the White House would be decked out in gay pride?? Was it EVEN imaginable?

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2015 5:09 AM

I feel good

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2015 5:22 AM

agree R5

What a remarkable sight

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2015 5:25 AM

Me too R6. I haven't been this genuinely happy and optimistic for perhaps 25 years. I know it won't last forever, but it's great to feel so good about life and our country once again. I'm getting up there in years, so this is a real gift, and I am going to enjoy every minute of it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2015 5:29 AM

The Obamas rock! Love it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2015 5:31 AM

Best President Ever.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2015 5:36 AM

That is the most magnificent photograph of the White House, ever.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2015 5:38 AM

Kinda tacky really. Juvenile actually.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2015 5:39 AM

Conservative heads exploding makes it magnificent. It's actually nice to see the white house umm not white.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2015 5:45 AM

Also, I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2015 5:45 AM

That's your lot in life r14. Class isn't a word you hear often is it?

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2015 5:58 AM

Um, wow.

I admit to Republican sensibilities, but that is a sight I never dreamed I would see in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2015 6:01 AM

It's past time for you to look at Republican reactions and words and rhetoric, and dump your Republican sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2015 6:28 AM

Cannot believe it's real. I never thought I'd live to see this. I am so proud of us.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2015 6:29 AM

R8, you made me smile.

R12, go fuck yourself. You have no business here.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2015 7:28 AM

The mainstreaming of homosexuality seems odd, no?

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2015 8:03 AM

Ha!

I will bookmark this for the next 3,000 posters who will sternly inform us that "there is NO DIFFERENCE between Obama and Bush! BOTH parties are exactly alike! You're al drinking the Kool Aid, and I honestly can't see myself voting for Hillary!"

Yes, I will show them this photo, thanks for posting it!

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2015 8:16 AM

Lovely. Wonderful. I never thought I'd see it, even 10 years ago.

And R8 for World Emperor!

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2015 11:56 AM

Don't kill me for pointing this out, but the next time some of you go on a rant about straight people: the justices who made this decision are straight. So, they're not all so bad.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2015 11:58 AM

Absolutely ridiculous. The fact that gay marriage and trans issues have become more important in this country than the economy, illegal immigration, ending the senseless wars, poverty and the 18 trillion dollar deficit is disgusting. There won't be any rights for gay people if the country falls apart.

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2015 12:04 PM

Thanks for everything straight person @R23! This is all about you!

by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2015 12:05 PM

Go such on a lemon, R24. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2015 12:07 PM

Obvs, I mean Go SUCK on a lemon. You sour old thang.

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2015 12:08 PM

GOD will SMITE them for this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2015 12:10 PM

Wash the sand out of your cooze and lighten up R24.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2015 12:11 PM

[quote] angry lesbian

Angry = Lesbian.

The words are synonymous.

You people have been bashing Obama since he beat Hillary fair and square.

I hope you now see why we supported him in the first place, and just get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2015 12:17 PM

Just beautiful. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2015 12:19 PM

We win marriage equality and yet some gay guy on DL is referring to a lesbian as "you people" and bashing them en masse, on a thread celebrating our win.

What the fuck is wrong with you, R30?

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2015 12:41 PM

Because, R32, there are still those remnants of PUMA (Party Unity My Ass) holdovers from 2008 who STILL cannot get over Obama beating Hillary.

They CONTINUE to bash him to this day, and those are the "you people" I'm referring to.

I agree that this should be a day when we ALL should celebrate and be joyful, and yet read through the thread and see who exactly is still bashing Obama, despite his support for marriage equality.

There is only one self-identified, "angry lesbian," and that's who I have an issue with.

I say get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2015 12:47 PM

I don't care about Obama or Hilary R33. In 2016 I'm voting for Trump. There are much more important issues than gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2015 12:57 PM

Hey r24 now that we've (hopefully) resolved the ACA and gay marriage issues, we can move on from those distractions (which are largely distractions because they're convenient for the GOP to use), and deal with some of those other things.

The economy: not doing horribly, certainly much better than it was when Bush left office, and it infuriates the GOP that the economy is doing well under Obama.

Illegal immigration: the GOP has been so obstructionist that they wouldn't even debate it under Bush, who wanted to find a solution. It's such a perfect distraction issue for the GOP, and now that they need those even more to keep their base inflamed, there's no way that any of the candidates would suggest even a mild solution.

Senseless wars: Kristol, Bolton and the Cheneys are lurking in the background, waiting to co-opt the foreign policy personnel of the next GOP administration. They are drooling at the chance to start a senseless war with Iran.

Poverty: The GOP is the tool of the oligarchy, whose primary mission is to suck dry the financial resource of the poor and middle class.

Deficit: This is an issue when the GOP wants it to be, and then otherwise they shrug and claim it's irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2015 1:00 PM

too bad Reagan and Jerry Fallwell can't see it

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2015 1:05 PM

R33 Angry lesbian is clearly a parody post. Asshat

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2015 1:09 PM

[quote]There is only one self-identified, "angry lesbian," and that's who I have an issue with.

"You people" says otherwise. PUMAs are long gone, and nothing they say or do means anything. And you can't possibly believe that someone who posts on DL as "angry lesbian" is for real, can you? Even if they really are an angry lesbian, their anonymous opinion on DL doesn't matter in the least.

It really sounds like you jumped into a celebratory thread and took the first weak excuse you could find to bash all lesbians, and are now trying to backpedal by saying they deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2015 1:14 PM

[quote]the justices who made this decision are straight.

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. At least not all of them.

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2015 1:36 PM

Twelve landmarks across the US were lit up in rainbow colors last night, everything from Niagara Falls to a bridge in Little Rock, yes Little Rock Arkansas. See the picture at the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2015 1:44 PM

Slight hijack, sorry, but the PUMAs were largely liberal feminist older women, right?

My mom has spoken with three separate women in that category, none of whom know each other, who are Sanders supporters, saying of Hillary: "Of course she's better than any Republican" with little or no enthusiasm as the most positive thing they have to say.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2015 1:47 PM

Great link, R40. I teared up at the St Louis picture. I've got family in the area and trust me, I never thought I'd see this happen, not in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2015 1:50 PM

Agree, R13. Who says Democrats won't turn the knife?

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2015 2:01 PM

No matter how many hatpins you sourballs stab into our balloons, this is one of those rare times when we'll use even your hot air to celebrate buoyantly in joyous precedent.

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2015 3:19 PM

R15, I think you mistake class for being a tight-assed (not in a good way) curmudgeon. Loosen the hell up. The Empire State Building did it, too. You're like a long-suffering sports fan who has become so accustomed to losing that when you win, you can't really enjoy victory and even something as lighthearted as this has you dissecting it rather than just letting it go.

by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2015 3:28 PM

Loved it!!!

by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2015 3:31 PM

[quote] the justices who made this decision are straight. So, they're not all so bad.

And 3 of the 5 -- get the smellin' salts, boy -- W O M E N

by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2015 3:33 PM

It's so very important that all of us VOTE in 2016! If we can get 8 more years of a Democrat in the White House, who will probably appoint up to 3 new Supreme Court justices during her term, we can change America for decades to come. We can have the country we've always dreamed of.

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2015 3:43 PM

R15, take a long, hard look in the mirror. Seek help. If it's your thing, speak to your pastor. Just do something to reflect upon your self hatred and victimhood. You'll be happier for it. Maybe you'll even get over it.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2015 4:11 PM

Gay marriage is a stepping stone to Trans marriage and other sinister plans. So sad the gay community hasn't figured this out yet.

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2015 4:34 PM

I say this as a long time "friend" of gay people who have always seen gay people as people first -- like I see everyone else. Your issues have been hijacked and are being used as a distraction. Just like a lot of things you see on tv. And the fact that all you see right now is gay couples kissing on the news is off putting to many. There will be a backlash for sure.

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2015 4:39 PM

President Obama has mad swag. Cancel that order of Lame Duck please.

by Anonymousreply 52June 27, 2015 4:44 PM

FF R50.

by Anonymousreply 53June 27, 2015 4:59 PM

FF R51.

by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2015 5:00 PM

r50, let me play Devil's Advocate here. So what? If trans people marry, great. Even if you believe homosexuality is a mental illness, why can't mentally ill people marry? Narcissists marry all of the time. Manic depressives do, too. What is it to you? Citizens of the US deserve certain fundamental rights. If you're human, that's the criterion.

by Anonymousreply 55June 27, 2015 5:05 PM

Yeah, so what if trans people marry? It's not hurting me.

Par-TAY, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 56June 27, 2015 5:07 PM

Does anyone know if it will be lit up tonight? Planning on going out there.

by Anonymousreply 57June 27, 2015 5:24 PM

Lesbian feminist Masha Gessen said in 2012: "It's a no-brainer that gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry. I also think equally it's a no-brainer that the institution of marriage should not exist. Fighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we're going to do with marriage once we get there."

by Anonymousreply 58June 27, 2015 5:27 PM

What is so good about marriage?

by Anonymousreply 59June 27, 2015 5:42 PM

Actually trans people can marry. Their issue used to be how they were listed on the marriage certificate, male of female. Now it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 60June 27, 2015 5:47 PM

Come a long way in 50 years:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 27, 2015 5:50 PM

[quote]Twelve landmarks across the US were lit up in rainbow colors last night, everything from Niagara Falls to a bridge in Little Rock, yes Little Rock Arkansas. See the picture at the link below.

It was the illumination of Cinderella Castle that really done me in.

It's one thing to see it from New York or San Francisco. We'd expect that.

But then, you have someone as wholesome and all-American as Disney...

There's this sort of commoditization of Pride that I don't always like, but I remember watching all the bans go into effect, I never thought we'd be at a place where companies would think that being associated with it is a good thing.

It's just...it got better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2015 5:56 PM

while angry lesbian certainly sounds angry, she sounds insane quite a deal more.

by Anonymousreply 63June 27, 2015 6:02 PM

R59, you mean besides the love, commitment, sharing and building a life, and growing old together, along with all of the approximately 1000 benefits bestowed upon married people? Oh, nothing, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2015 6:11 PM

Thanks, R51, I'll stay out of the closet. But, pray tell, what of our issues have been hijacked, and by whom? If its marriage you're talking about, who exactly hijacked the issue? I guess you could say Vice President Biden did when he gently nudged Obama to get on the equality bandwagon, but that got both him and Obama so far... oh wait, no, all it did was bring on more criticism from the right. Same for Hillary. So, who again hijacked marriage equality? What did it get them?

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2015 6:16 PM

Niagara Falls Pride

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 27, 2015 6:27 PM

The Saint Anthony Falls bridge in Minneapolis at night during Gay Pride. The bridge lights are all blue when there are no special occasions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 27, 2015 6:30 PM

It's great. Unfortunately, so many of the white gays will STILL bitch and complain about Obama even though he's done more for gay rights than any other president.

by Anonymousreply 68June 27, 2015 6:32 PM

[quote] I haven't been this genuinely happy and optimistic for perhaps 25 years.

Jesus Christ, you sound almost as sad as R12.

by Anonymousreply 69June 27, 2015 6:44 PM

It would've been a grander sight had the whole of Capitol Hill been awash in rainbow lights (the Capitol Bldg, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, etc.), like they do in SF Civic Center during gay pride. But this is nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 27, 2015 7:02 PM

Suck it Christo-Fundy Republicans, and Haters!

THIS is your worst nightmare! Your own party will out-stupid itself and split apart during the upcoming primaries. Huckabee and the other Jesusland types might really go third party or encourage people to stay home, and then you're right back to the day after Mittens lost in 2012, but still not listening!

I LOVE it!

by Anonymousreply 71June 27, 2015 7:18 PM

It's not just the White House. Pretty much every major corporation brought out their Rainbow Colored logos and "Love is Love" statements on Twitter, Facebook, and all other social media. The conservatives really well and true have lost the cause. Here's just a small example:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 27, 2015 7:25 PM

You're all dumb as a box of hair. The same government that has no problems waging wars against innocent countries and blowing up millions of their citizens including children is in love with the gays? lol

It's a distraction people. The gay community is being used.

by Anonymousreply 73June 27, 2015 7:40 PM

Caitlyn Jenner and Rachel Dolezal are clues of what's to come. Transgender, transracial, transspecies and transhumanism. Everything will be re-defined. Gay marriage is just the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2015 7:44 PM

well smell you!

by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2015 8:10 PM

[quote]The gay community is being used

[quote]Gay marriage is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ok, I ask again: who's hijacking marriage equality or using gays? How so? To what end?

by Anonymousreply 76June 27, 2015 9:22 PM

Clues R76.

Who's behind this? Starts with a Z.

To what end? To re-define everything. Gays are surprised at all the attention transgendered people are getting recently. Remember when conspiracy theorists were saying there's a gay agenda? They were partially correct. The agenda isn't to promote homosexuality, it's to use homosexuality as a stepping stone for re-defining all humans. The trans people can now use gay rights and gay marriage to advance their own cause. The transracials will then use transgendered rights to advance their own cause...etc. It's all planned.

by Anonymousreply 77June 27, 2015 9:54 PM

Even if it's just for one day, it's nice to know that someone has your back.

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2015 10:13 PM

[quote]It is so beautiful. It really took my breath away. Can you imagine 30 years ago when Reagan was prez and the AIDS pandemic was in full force that one day the White House would be decked out in gay pride?? Was it EVEN imaginable?

I've been thinking about this a lot over the past couple of days. Those of us who are old enough to remember the 80s and even a lot of the 90s are just in awe of this, I think. The Reagan era, the Moral Majority, the hideous bigotry that the AIDS crisis brought out in so many Republicans back then etc. And now here's the fucking WHITE HOUSE in the rainbow flag, with a President who is gay-friendly and supports gay marriage. For those of us who can remember what things used to be like, this is just incredible.

by Anonymousreply 79June 27, 2015 10:14 PM

[quote]Who's behind this? Starts with a Z.

Don't look at me!

by Anonymousreply 80June 27, 2015 10:15 PM

"too bad Reagan and Jerry Fallwell can't see it"

They're looking down from Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 81June 28, 2015 1:21 AM

Pat, dear.... Please join them soon. And, FYI, the direction they're looking is up, as in from hell.

by Anonymousreply 82June 28, 2015 1:33 AM

I fucking love it, but especially love knowing, that it's a thorn, in those who oppose sides !!

by Anonymousreply 83June 28, 2015 1:37 AM

The last president called for an amendment banning gay marriage. Obama used the full force of government to support it.

Thank you, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 84June 28, 2015 1:43 AM

[quote]The last president called for an amendment banning gay marriage.

This is why I wish more of us would vote in non Presidential election years. If that marriage amendment had passed and been ratified by the states, the Supreme Court could NEVER have ruled for straight marriage. It would be decades before it could be rescinded.

by Anonymousreply 85June 28, 2015 2:05 AM

Word, R79.

It's amazing, how things have improved for us in the last 20 years. And wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 86June 28, 2015 10:17 AM

r77 you are mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 87June 28, 2015 6:53 PM

[quote]too bad Reagan and Jerry Fallwell can't see it

Just think, Ronald Reagan the President who did no wrong in the eyes of conservatives, appointed Justice Anthony Kennedy to the Supreme Court. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 88June 28, 2015 6:53 PM

Wow R77. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 89June 28, 2015 8:03 PM

Of course DL cynical closet cases will hate it.

by Anonymousreply 90June 28, 2015 8:56 PM

My thought on it, is that it STILL won't stop a lot of gay assholes here from chiming in "Obama was NEVER for Gay Marriage, and is EXACTLY like George W. Bush, or really WORSE!"

Nothing will ever stop those people.

by Anonymousreply 91June 28, 2015 9:02 PM

Those people have problems R91. They are most likely still struggling with their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 92June 28, 2015 9:08 PM

Although he held back in 2008, Obama did run for re-election fully in support of gay marriage in 2012. He has stood by us throughout his presidency, always mentioning or alluding to lesbians and gays in his big speeches, and then on Friday delivering a remarkable and stirring statement in support of the Court's decision. Hard to imagine McCain or Romney or Jeb! doing any of this, ever...

Oh, and he has fough DADT and oversaw changes in policies affecting federal employees, including those in the military, in a more LGBT inclusive direction. No GOP president would have done any of this willingly.

Obama is our President; we should have his picture in our homes the way former generations had pictures of FDR and Jack Kennedy in their homes.

by Anonymousreply 93June 28, 2015 9:20 PM

Exactly! If you don't get elected POTUS, you can't help people in the real ways that only the President can!

See how one plays chess instead of checkers??

by Anonymousreply 94June 28, 2015 9:24 PM

indeed.

by Anonymousreply 95June 29, 2015 5:02 PM

R93 So Obama basically lied to the people about his position on gay marriage to get elected and then said what he really thought once he was elected.

by Anonymousreply 96July 29, 2020 4:59 AM

What for? Is this rainbow some kind of eye wash?

by Anonymousreply 97July 29, 2020 5:01 AM

WTF was the point in R96 bumping this? Are you the fool bumping every fucking five year old thread to post something dumb?

by Anonymousreply 98July 29, 2020 5:07 AM

WHY is it not in the colors of the new LGBTTQQIAAP (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, ally, pansexual) "Progress" flag? Why have black and brown and trans people been in this way literally ERASED from history?!

LITERAL VIOLENCE! It's killing us!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 29, 2020 5:07 AM

R99, you can save the bullshit attack on progressives since this thread is five fucking years old and since then, Trump and his admin. have put god knows how many homophobic judges on the bench, but keep up with the snide commentary.

by Anonymousreply 100July 29, 2020 5:11 AM

[quote]Trump and his admin. and bipartisan wunderkind Amy Kobuchar have put god knows how many homophobic judges on the bench

Fixeded

by Anonymousreply 101July 29, 2020 6:47 AM

What exactly did you fix? Attempted to take the onus off of the entire GOP and its platform of bigotry incl. anti-gay legislation by mentioning Kobuchar[sic]?

by Anonymousreply 102July 29, 2020 6:59 AM

I always figured the 2015 Bump Twat @ R96 was a right wing shit-stirrer.

by Anonymousreply 103July 29, 2020 7:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!