Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RIP Dick Van Patten

I am deeply sad to hear about Dick Van Patten passing away. I am grateful that I got to see him and his lovely wife Pat when I was in Los Angeles in late January. He taught me so much when I worked with him on "Eight Is Enough". He was our rock, our leader, our role model. He was the consummate professional, a wonderful actor and master of comedy. Every day on set he was a happy, jovial person, always generous and ready to play, tease and always keep us all laughing. His love for life and his family were an inspiration. I loved him very much. I send my deepest condolences to his family.

- Statement from Betty Buckley

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2018 9:43 AM

R.I.P. My dear friend and surrogate father.... XOXOXOXOX the world will miss you...

- Willie Aames

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2015 9:07 PM

Statement from Grant Goodeve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2015 9:10 PM

You know that there's at least 3 other threads about this, right OP?

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2015 9:11 PM

OP = worse than Hitler and Cats.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2015 9:13 PM

He had a hot ass, but he couldn't live forever!

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2015 9:15 PM

Aside from the Susan Richardson one, there isn't a single other DVP thread that I've caught on here. It's not even trending on the front page.

I think Dick deserves his own official thread.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2015 9:16 PM

"I will always remember Dick van Patten with great fondness. As every knows, he publicly referred to me on national television once as 'You know, the pretty one,' and it's not just because I was the best looking of the girls but also because I had the prettiest ways, and I respected him deeply for recognizing that. I will grieve for him as prettily as I have done everything else in my life, and I only hope that in heaven he can gaze upon my face with great joy, as he did in life."

--statement from Dianne Kay

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2015 9:17 PM

Maybe this one, op? Are you still on the legacy site? If so maybe you need to move to the 21st century

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2015 9:20 PM

"As the least memorable of the Bradford children, I think it's fair to say I was probably the last of us on Dick's mind at the hour of his death. Let's face it, he was much more likely to be thinking of even Lani O'Grady, who is dead, than he was to have thought of me. But I counted too: without me there would have just been Seven, and as we all know that would not have been Enough. And I could always be counted as 'The Talkative One.' I mourn the loss of a great man, who always told his children they must do things 'The Bradford Way' to the degree you wanted to kill him. And I will now go to live out the rest of my days in great obscurity, just as I have lived them previously."

--statement from Connie Needham

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2015 9:21 PM

It's nice to know that new DL will also have 18 separate threads on the neath of a long ago TV actor.

18! Including "Dead to ME" and "iPod."

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2015 9:24 PM

I'm not on the Legacy site R8. I'm on the recent one with the ignore button.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2015 9:27 PM

He was a spitter, wasn't he?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2015 9:30 PM

Somebody who followed the series needs to write a pretend obituary from the Sacramento paper he wrote for in the show. I've forgotten the names of the spouses in the reunion programs.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2015 9:37 PM

I'm really familiar with the show, but even I couldn't name the spouses from the reunion movies! The only ones I know are Merle the Pearl (Susan's husband), and Janet (David's wife). Although David and she divorced eventually, and he was marrying a different woman in one of the reunion movies. I remember this mainly because the sisters (except for Mary who was always level-headed) treated this new fiancee like shit.

Susan, aren't you embarrassed by this behavior?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2015 11:15 PM

Apparently, 86 was enough.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2015 12:32 AM

Best comb over in the business is gone.

NEXT!!

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2015 12:48 AM

R7, LMAO!! bUT, I know Dianne Kay in real life and she is the nicest most genuine gal :)

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2015 12:48 AM

I posted this in the iPod thread but that seems to have died so let me mention here-- he was related by blood or marriage to a bunch of showbiz people:

Joyce Van Patten

Martin Balsam

Talia Balsam

George Clooney

John Slattery

Vincent Van Patten

Tim Van Patten

Eileen Davidson

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2015 1:15 AM

He might be dead but at least he's not toothless and living in a trailer in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2015 1:17 AM

Sad, but I much prefer Dick Masters in Ten is Enough.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2015 2:39 AM

My condoll- conedol- .... My sympathies to the Van Patten family. I was very sad to hear Dick had died. I was curious to learn if drugs were involved. Not like Dick was a crack whore like the Dad from "Alf" or anything. But I was thinking oxy, Percocet, Vicodin. You know the drill. If Dick was abusing painkillers, I'd like to know if the family is looking to unload. Every since Lani died, it's been hard to score. Maybe Susan could help me out, there's gotta be someone in her trailer park that deals.

Anyway, RIP Dick. Real sorry to hear about your death. But I'm really hoping you can hook a brutha up, even from beyond the great beyond.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2015 2:42 AM

Fuck you, Betty, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2015 3:28 AM

OP is a cunt. Worse than Betty Buckley.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2015 5:46 AM

I know he was 86 but what did he die of? It isn't unusual especially now a days for people to live longer.

BTW, is Adam Rich gay? or bi?

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2015 8:48 AM

He died of complications from diabetes and had been ill for a while.

He was great friends with Farrah Fawcett. They played tennis together when both were younger. Sad that he outlived her by about 25 years.

He was a very nice man, but I never cared for him as an actor at all.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2015 10:17 AM

He really was a horrible father. Most of those 8 kids ended up either dead, on the Blvd or in rehab.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2015 11:18 PM

Farrah Fawcett gave him ass cancer!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2015 12:56 AM

Yet Dick Van Dyke lives on

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2016 7:40 AM

dinah hynand is clapping

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2016 4:41 PM

He only lived eight lives.

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2018 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!