Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Devil Worship: Is this a real thing?

What's the point? To be bad, real bad?

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2018 7:05 PM

Same reason people get pitbulls: to feel powerful and protected.

I hate when people mix-up Wicca with Satanism. Movies like "Rosemary's Baby"- although entertaining- are the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2015 7:36 PM

My roommate is convinced that warlocks haunt the halls of the building...watching...waiting...

He says he and his brother were ritualistically abused as kids; that his dad was an evil Wiccan.

His Dad also divorced his mother for another woman. Unresolved issues, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2015 7:57 PM

I saw a license plate frame with "Hail Satan" on it yesterday. I'm not sure it's wise to be that up front and open about it, especially on your car.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2015 8:06 PM

Isn't it something rebellious, disenfranchised teenagers dabble in?

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2015 8:10 PM

Resurrecting an old made-up enemy keeps you young and rich.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2015 8:23 PM

I read that book "Michelle Remembers" because I found it in a delete bin for a quarter. It was co-written with her "therapist." It turns out she was sexually involved with him. People bought it and it inspired that nonsense about repressed memories. Sadly, many innocent people ended up in prison or with ruined reputations as a result.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2015 9:28 PM

There was a fantastic episode of Unsolved Mysteries that had to do with conspiracy theories regarding the Son of Sam killings, and one scene was about a devil worship ritual that some teenagers witnessed. German shepherds being sacrificed, robes, etc.

I grew up in the 80s and always believed that there really were secret gangs of devil worshippers who gathered at night in the woods. It seems utterly preposterous, but Christians do the same thing in churches during daylight, so why wouldn't there be people stupid enough to do the "opposite"?

Does anyone know anyone who used to participate in such dark rituals? Or maybe they currently do?

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2015 9:18 PM

Yes, there are people who worship Satan out there, and some of them are harmless pagans who like their religion a bit butcher than Wicca.

The rest are desperate losers who aren't going to accomplish anything in this world without help from the dark powers.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2015 9:22 PM

The "Devil" "Satan" "Hell" are all Christian fear control structures, used just like loud bagging of pots and pans, are used to flush out birds form the forest for hunting. Scare them into obedience.

Do you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny too?

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2015 9:23 PM

There have been some real life satanic cult killings but nothing that is too well organized. Definitely nothing that could take over the world. Most are young people in their teens and 20s. They do sacrifices because they think it gives them power. However, the metal culture that helped spawn the fascination with Satanism among young people no longer exists.

However, Luciferians, people who worship Lucifer, have existed since the 1800s here in the U.S. They compose most of the membership of various secret societies.

Wicca used to be very dark. In fact, it was created by a man who was inspired by Luciferians. Many Luciferians believe that Lucifer was split into two forms when he fell, a male form and a female form, which the Wiccans call the God and the Goddess. Today Wiccans are just cheesy, fat white people who like to dress like it's a Renn fair 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2015 9:24 PM

Do they incorporate sexual intercourse into their rituals? Big penis going into vagina and butt? I think I read about that somewhere, and it always turned me on.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2015 9:26 PM

Those that practice the sort of Dionysian Satanism are just those "do what thou wilt" -type hedonists. They think in Darwinian terms so don't give a shit about those that they abuse. Lots of psychopaths involved there. They will do anything to anyone anytime as long as it feels good to them.

The other kind would be like sorcerers of old (ie. Merlin) who've chosen the left hand path, I guess feeling the rewards in so doing are greater than the consequences. These are the hermit types who practice their craft and will definitely put hurtful spells on people for profit, revenge or jealousy. These types definitely do consort with something inter-dimensional because it is who they say gives them power in the first place. It could also just be the power of the mind: concentrate on something hard enough and make it come to pass.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2015 9:31 PM

All the Wiccans I've ever met are pretty low on the socio-economic scale but high on the weight scale.

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2015 9:35 PM

Oranges poranges

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2015 9:37 PM

In the South there is a belief in what they call hoodoo. There are tales of people going to the crossroads at midnight and selling their soul to the devil in exchange or whatever you want. So I guess you can say there really is a belief in Satanism.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2015 9:47 PM

Yes, it's a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2015 9:49 PM

Hoodoo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2015 11:13 PM

To redeem the burned and the tortured op.

What a dumb question.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2015 11:31 PM

[quote]Today Wiccans are just cheesy, fat white people who like to dress like it's a Renn fair 24/7.

Perfect description.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2015 11:36 PM

Scariest movie evah about Devil worshipers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2015 11:50 PM

I'd let the devil fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2015 4:03 AM

R21=Saddam Hussein

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2015 4:13 AM

[quote] [R21]=Saddam Hussein

Most of this thread = witchiepoo

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2015 4:18 AM

Lol, yesterday i started reading 'Backward Masking Unmasked' by Jacob Aranza. Backmasking is a recording technique in which a sound or message is recorded backward onto a track that is meant to be played forward. Aranza believes that this way Satan is sending his messages and that he is corrupting our souls, by approaching our subconsciousness. It's an interesting campy book, it surely amuses me. I bet many of you know that. It was written in 1982 and it became a best seller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2016 11:37 AM

[quote] I grew up in the 80s and always believed that there really were secret gangs of devil worshippers who gathered at night in the woods. It seems utterly preposterous, but Christians do the same thing in churches during daylight, so why wouldn't there be people stupid enough to do the "opposite"?

Speaking of stupid people...

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2016 11:44 AM

Satanism is based on the false premise that people are not worthy of good things by default so they have to sacrifice something in order to receive good things.

Satanists cults give people a false sense of power, superiority, and purpose.

Unfortunately ambitious people have to join Satanist cult like clubs in order to get any way near the top of the social or career ladder.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2016 12:09 PM

I have a friend who claims he is a male White Witch. Has a pentagram tat circa 1980. So far, he has never made an accurate prediction, cast a positive spell that worked or any kind of magical power. His bedroom is full of all this mystical bullshit like crystals, pyramids, obelisks, rams horns, a lion poster, a trash can in the shape of male lower body and a picture of Cher. About the only trick he is good at is turning every roommate he ever had into some kind of sexual relationship even if they are "straight" and some 20 years younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2016 12:20 PM

Technically, the Hollywood Coven and its associated organizations do not worship "the devil." They do use conduits of dark energy associated with and empowered by cultural norms. Huston is very smart in leveraging the traditions for maximum profit. But it's not like every time a newborn is sacrificed or a virgin taken it's all about paying some representation of evil off, even symbolically.

Not every time.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2016 12:53 PM

It's not like she worships the devil.

Well, she doesn't have to; he worships her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2016 1:13 PM

I walked down Hollywood Blvd today and a handsome young man tried to hand me Scientology propaganda, dose that count? Lets be real, they are a cult. My advice, DON'T LOOK IN THEIR EYES!

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2016 1:31 PM

geeze, thread like this make me understand why people like Sarah Palin exist

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2016 1:37 PM

The like me because I am Sarah Barracuda the Beauty Queen. I have a big career ahead of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2016 1:58 PM

In the Bible, the Devil is actually the good guy; he punishes sinners and doesn't do anything bad himself. God is the one actually doing the bulk of the killing.

by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2016 3:39 PM

R4 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2016 3:44 PM

R27's friends is more proof that atheism and intelligence are mutually inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2016 3:50 PM

Is there any connection between devil worship and the necronomicon? I thought it was work of fiction, but supposedly some people believe in its power and use it to try to summon demons and the like. It seemed like the book was popular in the 1980s, having known quite a few kids in high school who had copies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2016 7:02 PM

Johnny Depp and his good friend Marilyn Manson are Satanists.

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2016 7:10 PM

R36, people need magic in their lives, but Necronomicon is just Lovecraft's fictional invention. Nothing more, or less. Some people strive to escape their reality, that's why they are into occultism and such stuff.

Necronomicon has become the Bible of Satanists, but i doubt that Lovecraft had this thing in mind when he was writing it. Satanists try to make the myths happen. They prefer that to their real condition. However, I believe in the power of energy. If you take something seriously, you can create a serious situation.

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2016 7:39 PM

[quote]I saw a license plate frame with "Hail Satan" on it yesterday. I'm not sure it's wise to be that up front and open about it, especially on your car.

I'd just assume it was a fellow Datalounger obsessed with "Rosemary's Baby." Honk and wave!

by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2016 7:57 PM

Oh yes devil worship is a BIG thing and very popular in the gay community. There are freaks who burn different colored candles for spells and burn stinky incense. Some even kill cats and drink their blood because cats are the devil's playthings. Go on Google and search "Gay satan Tumblr" or "satanic gay 666 Tumblr" and look at all the evil devil worship Tumblrs that appear, some with guys in churches having sodomite sex, others putting their dicks on holy bibles with sperm, others sticking crosses up their asses professing their love for Satan's cock.

by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2016 8:04 PM

665! Hail Satin!

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2016 8:30 PM

Here on DL the gays like to pretend to be demure little Betty Bowers, Bitch please. they may not be full blown satan worshipers but they certainly do lend themselves.

my own experience is with mostly the female demon. interesting that it is believed lucifer was split into two, though I tend to believe the identification of it as Lililth

by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2016 8:31 PM

There are a number of different, conflicting reasons why people worship Satan.

Some of them, largely teenaged boys, do it to say something about themselves. They want to be seen as dark, as badasses. Christianity with its passive "turn the other cheek" and "lamb of God" and all that is just pussy-ass shit, let's admit, when seen in the eyes of a rebellious sixteen year old boy in a denim "Led Zeppelin" jacket. Identifying with the supercool cloven-hooved, super-ripped demon with goat horns is just a way to reject all the "guy in white robe holding a lamb" shit.

They do it out of boredom, restlessness maybe, not because they are evil per se. But of course the religious people in their community see it as an example of Satan's hand in worldly events. They then scapegoat the teens. Textbook example is shown in the "Paradise Lost" series.

Other people are deluded by religious beliefs (usually filtered through pop culture) that worshipping Satan will get you power and material rewards in this life. Which frankly is ridiculous -- if you DO believe that, then you believe Satan exists and that you have an immortal soul that you are selling to him. This means you are repudiating paradise just to be powerful in this life, and that is truly asinine. Luckily for these people, they have no soul to lose, and so lose nothing but their dignity in this life.

Still other people, pagans, see Satan as a pre-Christian deity who has been unfairly portrayed by Christians as wicked. Satan to these people is not fallen and evil, he's the spirit of nature and a moral code that existed before Christians came along and blacklisted him and otherwise turned their propaganda machine against him, to get people to worship their popsicle god on a stick instead. This is the most respectable form of Satanism I know of, but to be honest I don't think there's any historical foundation for it, unless of course we say that "Satan" was just a generic name given to all the ancient spiritual beliefs of pagans which the Christians sought to drive out. There are some historical problems with even this loose interpretation, though.

So this is a bit like the question "what is gay sex like?" -- there are many different answers.

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2016 8:49 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2018 4:44 PM

I wouldn't know, OP. Certainly not.

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote]Anton LaVey, who has been referred to as "The Father of Satanism", synthesized his religion through the establishment of the Church of Satan in 1966 and the publication of The Satanic Bible in 1969. LaVey's teachings promoted "indulgence", "vital existence", "undefiled wisdom", "kindness to those who deserve it", "responsibility to the responsible" and an "eye for an eye" code of ethics, while shunning "abstinence" based on guilt, "spirituality", "unconditional love", "pacifism", "equality", "herd mentality" and "scapegoating". In LaVey's view, the Satanist is a carnal, physical and pragmatic being—and enjoyment of physical existence and an undiluted view of this-worldly truth are promoted as the core values of Satanism, propagating a naturalistic worldview that sees mankind as animals existing in an amoral universe.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2018 7:05 PM

It's real and has been real since the dawn of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2018 7:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!