Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors & Actresses with Large Heads...Small Bodies Who have you seen?

I've seen a number in person and this seems to be a common thing. Is there a technical reason for that particular look that makes them easier to film?

by Anonymousreply 74May 2, 2020 12:47 AM

Christina Ricci.

Wait, do you mean actors we've seen in person? In that case, no one, Christina Ricci is a cute little bobble head though.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2015 8:24 PM

One I haven't seen but is real obvious in pictures is Susan Lucci.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2015 8:40 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker?

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2015 8:42 PM

This is a well-known rule: movie actors have big heads. I could look it up, but can't be bothered. But there's a reason. Some casting director once said when he sees an actor with a big head, he knows that person will be compelling on screen.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2015 8:44 PM

R4..Brwhahaha! Big head says says what?

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2015 8:47 PM

It's not that their head is big, it only appears that way because they keep themselves so very, very skinny.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2015 8:56 PM

You rang?

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2015 9:05 PM

John Travolta. His head is too big for his toupee.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2015 9:07 PM

Sharon Osborne and her kids.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2015 9:10 PM

Lollipop, lollipop...

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2015 3:12 AM

OK, here we go... "The transformation is physical as well as moral. In real life, many actors look rather odd: directors like them to be very short (it’s astonishing what Mark Wahlberg packs into his 5ft 7in) with a huge head. Why? Because low height is easier for shot composition and a big face fills the screen. The transfiguring close-up creates an extraordinary (false) intimacy between actor and audience – and real star power is the ability to communicate everything with an angelic smile that would be invisible in real life: the words on the page made flesh."

Why Movie Stars Have Big Heads September 11, 2012 by Scott W. Smith Today I found a new source for fresh material—Facebook. And one today with a Hollywood—Iowa connection. Author David Morrell (First Blood) posted some thoughts today about why movie stars often have big heads—and he wasn’t talking about egos.

“Yesterday I posted about having watched Burt Lancaster give an acting seminar to the University of Iowa’s drama department when I was a professor in the English department. People ask, ‘What did he look like?’ The same as he did in his movies, especially his broad smile. Most major movie stars have one distinguishing characteristic. Their heads are large in a way that is out of proportion with their bodies. McQueen, Newman, Stallone, etc. Director Norman Jewison called move stars’ heads ‘Roman.’ The camera likes the perspective that a large head gives to an actor. In person, it looks a little unnatural, but onscreen, the large head allows them to dominate.”

"I noticed when Cate Blanchett and Matthew McConaughey won Oscars, they were so similar. They both have enormous heads and long faces, tall, thin bodies with very long necks. Whenever they posed with anybody else, they looked odd, their heads were so much bigger than normal people, but photographed together they looked like the perfect humans. You couldn't look away. They were riveting."

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2015 3:14 AM

Kelly Rippa

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2015 3:23 AM

David Morell is an embarrassment to The University of Iowa. He is confusing his over inflated ego with an actual big head.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2015 3:24 AM

R11

Okay, well I looked up Cate Blanchett and Matthew McConaughey in these photos (at the Oscars) together and also photos of them with other people and OMG.. This is not only true, I am completely fucked up in my brain looking at them now, geezzzz thanks a lot dude.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2015 3:31 AM

It's a common indicator of anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2015 3:32 AM

Ben Affleck...huge horse head..

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2015 3:34 AM

Second for Travolta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2015 3:34 AM

The 4 winners at the Oscars last year - Blanchett, McConaughey, Lupita and Leto were so beautiful. Really I bet the best looking group of actors in Oscar history. Some Oscar blogger commented on their photo saying "thank God. Beautiful people are finally getting some recognition."

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2015 3:43 AM

R15

Agree.. Yet Matthew McConaughey is strong and a muscular type, as well as Mark Wahlberg, Its so freaking bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2015 3:43 AM

Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2015 3:44 AM

It's like the "Mars Attack' of actors..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2015 3:51 AM

R15 McConaughey's tall though. He's 6 ft but I've noticed he has bad posture, he slouches all the time. Maybe it's because the directors and cinematographers shrink him in the frame.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2015 3:52 AM

Is it possible we just like discussing anything to do with head, like giving head or receiving it maybe on DL?

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2015 3:58 AM

Minnie Driver. She's like a cube-shaped candy apple.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2015 4:01 AM

They're not actors, but I think Vanna White and Pat Sajack have large heads. I've noticed McConaughey's head looks much larger than his wife's when they are photographed together, but he's still good looking imho. I just wish he hadn't done the extreme dieting for that movie.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2015 4:06 AM

Michael Caine talked about this in an interview..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2015 4:08 AM

Calista Flockhart

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2015 4:13 AM

Natalie Portman

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2015 4:21 AM

Hayden Panitierre (sp?).

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2015 4:22 AM

Elaine Benes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2015 4:24 AM

"Hollywood equation: big head = big box office. Actors with disproportionately large heads (Dustin Hoffman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise) convey physical authority that men with proportional heads (Josh Duhamel) do not. A big head works in close up and long shot."

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2015 4:43 AM

I was waiting with my clients in the green room of an Espy Awards show back in the early 2000s when Lara Flynn Boyle walked in. Everybody gasped, but not in a good way. She was shockingly thin and had a humongous head, with razor sharp cheekbones and big pop eyes. Very lollipop.

Recently , Giada de Laurentiis.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2015 5:33 AM

R25 Vanna White does have a big head. I remember seeing Sajack on a talk show in the eighties talking about Merv Griffens big head theory. Griffen produced Wheel and he discovered Vanna, this was when she was a big deal. Sajack was giggling when he talked about the big head theory, basically he thought big headed people were more telegenic.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2015 5:46 AM

Guilana Rancid. Lollipop Heads. The mark of the true eating disorder. These actors withhold food like it is written in the contract, And it is. As they lose too much weight, the body begins to shrink. Its a pathetic damaging Hollywood practice

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2015 6:21 AM

Aaron Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2015 11:31 AM

Thank you so much for this thread, now I will be obsessed with gooning the size of people's heads. A few months back there was the short torso/long torso thread and now I can barely concentrate on major league baseball for fixating on long torso/short torso. Stop fucking with my average size head DL.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2015 11:46 AM

McConaughey and Blanchett's gigantic heads atop their long necks and skinny bodies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2015 3:21 PM

Kirsten Dunst

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2015 3:35 PM

Seth MacFarlane. He reminds me of a lit up Jack O' Lantern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2015 3:52 PM

Richard Burton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2015 4:03 PM

Peter Dinklage

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2015 5:23 PM

Chloe Sevigny has the biggest head I've ever seen. Regis Philbin is another bobble head.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2015 5:25 PM

What's her face, the Italian one from Food Network should be the biggest movie star in the world.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2015 7:19 PM

my boi lollipop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2015 7:23 PM

r3.....the OP said large head...not horse head.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2015 7:28 PM

Vince Vaughn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2015 7:28 PM

R46 Vince Vaughn doesn't exactly have a small body.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2015 7:30 PM

I saw Ben Stiller in person a few years ago, and he fits this description. His wife, Christine Taylor, is normally proportioned and very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2015 7:31 PM

R47

And matthew mcconaughey is? Just because Vince is tall and not so thin as he used to be does not not mean his head is tiny, and SJP does have a big head as well, just shaped liked a long horse face.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2015 7:36 PM

Just look at the size when he was thinner back in the day.. HUGE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2015 7:42 PM

I wonder if the actresses had normal and not anorexic bodies if their heads would still be too big for the bodies?

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2015 7:46 PM

R43

I think Giada de Laurentiis was mentioned if thats who you mean..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2015 7:49 PM

You mean like Furious' Lucas Black?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2015 9:00 PM

Im surprised no one has mentioned Adrian Grenier, who looks like shit these days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2015 10:03 PM

Giada DiLaurentis was such a bobblehead when she first came on TV that she even looked bobblehead ON CAMERA! She gained a couple of pounds after she had the baby, and it did wonders for how she looked on camera. Her head no longer seemed 5X too large for her tiny body and twig arms (just 2x), and of course the cleavage improved.

All the young Disney and Nickeloden starlets are scrawny little bobbleheads; I see them pop up on the celebrity fashion blogs, and the bobble heads and twig bodies make them all look alike. That's why I can't remember any of their names, I'm sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2015 1:22 AM

Nancy Reagan. She was an actress.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2015 1:34 AM

Rachel Zoe ( not an actress) Nicole Richie Hugh Jackman The Rock

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2015 2:15 AM

R56 = Jane Wyman

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2015 3:44 AM

Michael Caine s quote at R26 is interesting. He also says that if you can see the whites above your eyes at normal resting face you will never be a star because it's disconcerting to audiences.

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2015 4:34 AM

I'm not an actress, but I kinda think I fit the bill!

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2015 4:38 AM

Ah! Giada inherited that giant head from her legendary granny Silvana Mangano!

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2015 4:48 AM

r59

Michael is right.

Lack of eyelashes is also disconcerting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2015 4:52 AM

Fisher Stevens owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2015 7:15 AM

Sarah Hyland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2015 7:41 AM

OMG how does Fisher Stevens skinny neck hold up his big head?

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2015 8:21 AM

Elmer Fudd

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2015 9:22 AM

Scarlett Johansson has a huge head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2015 10:15 AM

Joan Crawford and Bogart are two golden age examples.

by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2015 8:15 AM

Great thread! This is so true, and also the reverse is true. Someone cited Josh Duhamel, there are others. Somehow a big head conveys charisma and presence on screen. Tim Robbins is well-known, but he never made it really big, and aside from his baby face (or at least baby eyes), I'm convinced it's because he's so tall with a head that is big, sure, but also proportionate to his body. So it doesn't really work, movie-wise.

What looks great on screen isn't necessarily what looks great in person, and vice-versa.

by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2015 8:52 AM

Lee Pace is a tall man whose head is proportional, even smallish.

Perhaps that's why he can't climb up from the B list to the A list, although IMHO the B list is a great place for an actor like him to be. Greater variety of interesting work, longer career, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2015 8:08 PM

Randy Harrison

by Anonymousreply 71June 30, 2015 9:42 PM

The big beautiful head of Dolores Del Rio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2015 2:13 AM

TYRA BANKS LITERALLY OWNS THIS THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2015 8:40 PM

[quote]“I have come to think that being looked at obsessively by people you don’t know actually changes the way your face and body are assembled – not just in the obvious ways of enhanced fashion sense or tricks of charm and self-possession, but in the illusion of size. The heads of world-class celebrities literally seem to enlarge. Hillary Clinton’s, for instance, has grown enormously since she was the mere wife of the governor of Arkansas. It nods when she talks to you like a balloon in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade. The years of limelight so inflated the circumference of Jackie O’s cranium, it seemed her real face must be concealed by an oversized Halloween mask. If you looked into her eyes, you could see her in there somewhere, screaming.”

by Anonymousreply 74May 2, 2020 12:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!