Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Uniquely Nasty: The U.S. Government's War on Gays

By Michael Isikoff

As the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to rule on same-sex marriage, Yahoo News presents a new 30-minute documentary, “Uniquely Nasty: The U.S. Government’s War on Gays,” reported and narrated by chief investigative correspondent Michael Isikoff. The film explores a dark and little-known chapter in America’s recent political past, when gays and lesbians were barred from working for the federal government and the FBI, through its“sex deviates” program, secretly collected hundreds of thousands of files on the sex lives of American citizens.

“Uniquely Nasty” includes never-before-seen government memos by legendary FBI director J. Edgar Hoover (read by George Takei) and John Steele, a top lawyer for the U.S. Civil Service Commission (read by Matt Bomer) asserting that gays were “not suitable” for federal employment. “Uniquely Nasty” is divided into three chapters.

Chapter 1 — The Story of Charles Francis

A veteran Republican public relations consultant, Charles Francis was once a close friend of George W. Bush who served as the then Texas governor’s emissary to the gay community during the 2000 election. But Francis grew disillusioned by the Bush re-election campaign’s use of same-sex marriage as a wedge issue in 2004. “You have to be ready to be thrown overboard, and we were,” Francis says in the film. He then launched a new campaign to dig up government files documenting a forgotten history of decades of federal persecution of gays and lesbians.

Chapter 2 — The Story of Lester Hunt

As the FBI was launching its “sex deviates” program aimed at identifying and outing gays and lesbians working for the federal government, Lester Hunt Jr. — the son of Democratic Senator Lester Hunt — was arrested for soliciting gay sex from an undercover police officer in Lafayette Park, across the street from the White House. The arrest triggered a blackmail plot by two allies of Sen. Joe McCarthy, leading to the senator’s suicide — an event that inspired the novel “Advise and Consent” and haunted a generation of gays in politics.

Chapter 3 — The Story of Charlie Baker

In the mid-1960s, after a top aide to President Lyndon Johnson was arrested for having oral sex in a YMCA bathroom, there was a new crackdown to ferret out gays working for the government. The anti-gay campaign continues for years and, in 1971, Charlie Baker was fired from a low-level job at the U.S. Bureau of Standards for engaging in “homosexual activities.” But Baker fought back, enlisting the help of gay activist Frank Kameny, who bombarded government officials with letters accusing them of “entrenched bigotry” and “obscene ideas.” Baker finally goes to court and wins one of the first victories upholding the rights of gays to work for the federal government. In April 2015, he got married to his longtime partner, Rod, on a beach in Florida.

Along with the film, Yahoo News is releasing for the first time in their entirety a cache of long-secret government memos that have been uncovered in recent years by Francis, working with a team of lawyers from the firm of McDermott Will & Emery. Also included in this package are stories about the history of the FBI’s “sex deviates” program; a profile of Robert Gray, a gay Republican lobbyist and Washington powerbroker who secretly lived in fear of the FBI; a story about how Watergate hero Archibald Cox, in his days as John F. Kennedy’s solicitor general, sought to bar gays from federal employment; and the role of “Advise and Consent”in intimidating gays in politics, such as former congressman Barney Frank, from leaving the closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2020 12:29 AM

This is why we can't trust Republicans. They'll turn on you on a dime.

Anyone who considers themselves a "gay Republican" is a complete and total moron.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2015 12:07 PM

And people say Obama has shafted gay people?

Fuck you.

Obama has done more for gays than ANY other President in US history.

That's a fucking fact!

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2015 12:09 PM

Just watch how J. Edgar Hoover the transvestite, targeted gays for persecution.

His hypocrisy is incredible.

This is an amazing documentary.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2015 12:13 PM

Sadly, I'm sure this only scrapes the surface.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2015 1:27 PM

President Obama has done virtually nothing for us. The changes that are happening now came about because of brave LGBT people. Please stop that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2015 1:41 PM

Your nonsense, r5, is the real problem.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2015 1:43 PM

No, r5 is right -- Obama led from the rear on LGBT issues.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2015 2:00 PM

Excellent doc

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2015 2:40 PM

President Obama has done more for the LGBT community than any President before him. He has appointed more openly gay people than any other president by 10 fold and probably 100 fold over what the next Republican President will do, if we are ever so unfortunate to have one. Some of you need to realize that sometimes in politics if you move to fast on any topic, you alienate too many people. President Obama has done more for LGBT than he has done for African-Americans.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2015 5:24 PM

And ironically, many of the departments and agencies which were targeting gays often had them working within their offices, sometimes in top positions (no pun intended).

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2015 6:34 PM

So many of our leaders once were leaders for the other side (CF, I'm looking at you).

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2015 7:42 PM

DADT would NOT have been eliminated without Obama. DOMA would not have been eliminated without Obama. Obama put the full weight of the executive branch towards supporting gays and gay marriage.

It was the minute Obama said that he supported gay marriage than much of America, particularly African American, switch their views on the issue--so now a majority supports gay marriage.

Obama did not lead from the rear. He took his time, but his statements in support of gay people (even in his Inaugural Address!) were the catalyst for such quick change in American attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2015 7:59 PM

No Obama waited until polls showed the majority of Americans were on gays' side before he did anything and then it was when Biden forced the issue. Yes, he was for us back in the 90s so this was predictable. He was a step up from Clinton, who only supported us after his impeachment after his initial push for us got shot down in '93 and was keen for both Kerry and Gore to throw us under the bus. But I don' t believe Obama forced them on Don't Ask Don't Tell. I think that was the Pentagon and the cause was recruiting. The percent of teens who were pro-gay was more like 80% and it was affecting the Pentagon's ability to recruit people.

The Supreme Court don't need the documents, because they've seen gays as scapegoats their whole lives. The fact that this is surprising to anyone is new. Ten years ago nobody would have been surprised. And all these stories have been published many times. It's all new to Charles Francis because he thought he was on the inside with the power structure until they turned on him. But he should have known all along. I'm not dissing the project or production. It's a useful addition to tell young people our story because obviously they don't know. But my gratitude to him is rather limited given the totality of what transpired and how they used him in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2015 9:05 PM

"No Obama waited until polls showed the majority of Americans were on gays' side before he did anything and then it was when Biden forced the issue."

And yet John McCain was still against it. Many Repugs were against it, even knowing most Americans disagreed with them

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2015 12:39 AM

Obama is doing what he's told regarding the gays (he's certainly "evolved", hasn't he?). The Powers That Be behind the President want the gay thing over and done with; they're tired of it, they don't care and it's disruptive.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2015 12:59 AM

[quote]The changes that are happening now came about because of brave LGBT people.

Who'd have gotten nowhere if the President weren't interested in accommodating them.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2015 1:25 AM

I just watched the documentary. Very powerful. J. Edna Hoover = worst gay man ever

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2015 1:26 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2015 2:25 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2015 6:59 PM

Bumping for an interesting documentary

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2015 7:03 PM

Busted in a YMCA bathroom?! Sweet mother of God, nothing was sacred to those homophobic monsters!!

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2015 7:09 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2015 9:31 PM

It's nice that Yahoo wants to talk about J Edgar Hoover, but that is old and a lot of people know that by now. What it not being discussed is the present-day threat against gays - the trans agenda that will destroy the gay movement and is in the process of destroying a generation of mostly gay kids. Yahoo is also promoting on the same series as the above clip a film on "being a transgender teen in the U.S." - here again, the promotion of the trans agenda. Obama signed a bill that conflated being against gay reparative (conversion) therapy with disallowing the possibility of kids receiving therapy that it is ok to be gay, or a discussion that stereotypical roles are bullshit - now you can only counsel "trans" kids that they are "trans." This bill was pushed with trans energy. They got rid of one conversion therapy, but are protecting and promoting the new conversion therapy (trans for teens and kids) There is a war on gays right now - only some can see it...

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2015 10:26 PM

R23, accusing trans people of having an "agenda" makes you sound as prejudiced as Hoover. I know bigots accuse gays of having an agenda.

Trans people are not a threat to gays. It's a separate issue.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2015 1:42 AM

Too much GWB for me -- I thought I was going to puke when they tried to paint him as friendly to gays.

Yahoo doesn't even bother to try to hide their right-wing bias.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2015 2:48 AM

R24, this isn't the 1970s; the trans ideology and agenda is different now and it is very anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2015 3:11 AM

That's not too bad for a Yahoo! production.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2015 3:11 AM

I would say the stories were shocking, but that was just part of gay life, having to hide it in order to have a decent life. I'd guess things did not really start to change until AIDS hit, and there was suddenly some unity and a common cause....staying alive. I know a horrific story about a gay man who got married because it was expected where he was raised. The wife caught him having sex with another man. It ended horrifically for the man at the hands of the legal system. This was in the early 90s.

This thread would go well with the one about why so many gays are closeted.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2015 3:52 AM

Joe Biden came out for marriage equality before Obama. I always appreciated that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2015 4:27 AM

R24 I think you're being naive.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2020 12:24 AM

There's still a war on gays today. It's a covert war instead of an overt one.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2020 12:25 AM

Watch out for the buckshot of 2015 threads that the loser @R30 just let loose.

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2020 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!