Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Benny Hill gay

I know there were rumors.

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2019 9:06 PM

Yes. I don't want to go into details though.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2015 4:33 AM

Was he in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or did I imagine that?

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2015 4:35 AM

I think bi..and lol R1

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2015 4:38 AM

He was in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang R2.

There are rumors that he was gay OP. He maintained that he was straight all his life.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2015 4:39 AM

Never married? No kids?

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2015 4:45 AM

Someone told me the little bald guys real life daughter was the pretty blonde girl with the big tits.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2015 4:56 AM

Of course he was not gay. Did he seem gay to you?

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2015 5:00 AM

Well done, r1

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2015 5:11 AM

Never married, no children. Left his fortune to his sister who IIRC was unmarried with no children.

I think he was a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2015 11:54 AM

If so, you would think someone would have written a tell all by now.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2015 12:34 PM

I think he was just eccentric and kind of a loner. Lots of comedians are a bit weird like that.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2015 9:35 PM

If not, he sure seemed to overcompensate.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2015 10:52 PM

He was hot by English standards of the day.

by Anonymousreply 13August 6, 2015 11:56 AM

He was the Leo Dicaprio of his day.

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2016 11:37 PM

That fat ugly bastard?

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2016 11:38 PM

Charles Laughton was gay and even uglier, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2016 12:21 AM

And Laughton had some seriously fucked up proclivities.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2016 12:23 AM

Of course he was gay. And in his time homosexuality was illegal and police sought out entrapping gay men. A difficult life.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2019 6:06 AM

He was the best Elizabeth Taylor ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2019 6:15 AM

He definitely had a serious case of gayface but then so did Bob Crane.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2019 6:23 AM

I happen to know his nephew who is now living off Hill's money and is deeply ashamed that the source of that money was a man with such a vulgar, sexist persona. Benny Hill's vulgarity seemed to increase over the years because, I guess, he knew that's what his audience wanted.

R17 The source of that gossip about Laughton is completely undocumented.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2019 6:26 AM

[quote]I happen to know his nephew who is now living off Hill's money and is deeply ashamed that the source of that money was a man with such a vulgar, sexist persona.

But not ashamed enough to give away his source of income. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2019 6:29 AM

I read somewhere that he was actually a virgin - which kind of makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2019 6:41 AM

He would try to have sex, but inevitably "Yakety Sax" would start playing out of nowhere and kill the mood.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2019 7:08 AM

He gave the world laughter but was probably, in his heart of hearts, a tortured soul.

I think the nephew needs to acquire a more grateful perspective towards the person who made his life so easy.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2019 7:44 AM

God I hated that show. Even as a kid I thought it was so trashy and unworthy of that classy looking (to my young eyes) Thames opening logo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2019 9:09 AM

there was a piace in the daily mail abiut him recently. a good friend of his told how incredibly stingy and obsessed with saving money he was. that's a sign of a highly neurotic and anxious personality. i could believe he was a Virgin. and sue me, but i still find some of his shows hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2019 9:33 AM

Benny Hill was brilliant. Thanks R19 for posting that clip - proves he is still funny.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2019 9:49 AM

A comedic genius. One of my childhood idols.

The proof is at R19.

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2019 9:49 AM

I know fraus like to say this about men they don't want to accept are gay, but Benny Hill I really could see as being essentially sexless. Which makes his sex-obsessed humor seem even stranger. But if you think about it, all the sex on his show was at the level of your average 9 or 10 year old. Maybe his development was arrested at that age.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2019 9:54 AM

Very clever and devoted to his craft, but by the 80s his sexist schtick looked tragically dated. The new wave of young comics made him seem like a creepy old uncle. And then he was sacked.

Seem to recall also that he had meetings in the US with a view to 'developing projects', and was mortified when word came back from respected sources that his work was seen as just too vulgar.

In his way Hill was in parallel with the sad desperate talents of the 'Carry On' team.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2019 10:26 AM

I can still recall a sketch from the 70s where the camera was focused on a sign at the zoo reading 'Please not feed the animals' and then panned around to reveal cages full of skeletons.

Apparently after his memorial service at St Martins in the Fields the guests came out into Trafalgar Square and chased one and other around to the Yakety Sax music.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2019 10:45 AM

Then he wins best funeral ever!

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2019 11:18 AM

Benny as Dr. Ruth AND Roseanne!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2019 3:41 PM

WONDER GRAN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2019 3:45 PM

Zany hospital antics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2019 3:57 PM

He was a comedian of his time.

I read how mean he was.

It's difficult to speculate about his sexuality. On the one hand it was said that he was a virgin or asexual. Which could be right, but even a man at the top of his profession could have got laid once.

On the other he asked women to marry him but got turned down. In promiscuous the 1970s surely he must of had sex with some of them before asking them to marry him unless he was asking them to beard for him?

It's all very odd.

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2019 4:00 PM

Love this shit!

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2019 4:02 PM

It's odd how he seems to have completely fallen off the cultural landscape, considering how popular he was. Wasn't the Benny Hill Show on the air for something like 40 years?

Anyway, he can still make me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2019 4:11 PM

CAGNEY & LACEY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2019 4:16 PM

ARCHIE'S (Charlie's) ANGELS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2019 4:20 PM

I wrote about this on IMBD and was immediately rebuked by pissed off Benny Hill fans.

He lived with three female burlesque dancers in the 50s and one was interviewed who said he was a perfect gentleman and was like one of their best girl mates.

He didn't answer his draft and claimed it was because he moved around so much and never got the letter, but at that time the military was cracking down on gays in the military and maybe he was worried he'd be caught out.

His stage name was Benny Hill which he said he chose as an homage to Jack Benny. However in burlesque, where he started out, a Benny Boy was slang for a stereotypical gay male character that was popular on the stages.

In a documentary about him someone said he'd invite pretty girls to his flat and tell them to be nice to Uncle Benny and then reward them with little gifts to keep quite. problem is none of these women have ever been found to talk about this and all the women who worked with him said he was never grabby with them and always made sure the women in his cast were treated well by everyone.

Another bio said he asked three different women to marry him, but all of these women were dead and of course none of them could be interviewed and asked about why they turned him down.

He claimed to have trysts while traveling abroad, sort of like the kid in school saying he has a GF in Canada.

He grew up in a time when being gay wouldn't just ruin your career, it would land you in jail. Benny was obsessed with becoming famous and wasn't about to get caught cottaging. By the time being gay was ok, Benny still had the mentality of being gay was a crime. Add to that AIDS was killing gay men, something he touched on when another comedian ridiculed the content of his sketches and I'm sure he was deathly afraid to actually be gay.

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2019 9:34 PM

Janet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2019 9:38 PM

Of course Benny was gay!

You think a straight man could ever be that witty with his words?

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2019 12:02 PM

Or be around all those hot nearly naked women all the time and remain "respectful?"

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2019 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!