Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All the clothes we wear!

I put on a suit today and was amazed by all the different pieces of clothing I had to put on:

Undershirt, underpants, shirt, pant, socks, tie, jacket, shoes.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to stick a sack over our heads?

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2021 11:19 PM

Yes, it is.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2015 3:42 PM

OP, I don't care at all what you wear. Really.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2015 3:43 PM

[quote]Wouldn't it be so much easier to stick a sack over our heads?

Then people would be ugly. Fashion can make people look better, which makes the world a nicer place to be.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2015 3:48 PM

That's why I never wear underpants.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2015 3:50 PM

Do you have a vest, suspenders, and a pocket-square to complete the look OP?

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2015 3:53 PM

I live on a South Carolina barrier island (Sullivan's Island) and all I wear is board shorts, a tee and flip flops. And usually not the tee and flip flops. I'd die if I had to wear a suit every day.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2015 3:57 PM

I liked suits in my 20's, they felt like armour plus I looked smashing!

Sweetie, if its such a chore to put on many clothes, just wear caftans.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2015 4:03 PM

R6, what about undies?

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2015 4:06 PM

I have always thought it was strange that when a woman dresses up often her shoulders are bare, sometimes a low cut back, bare legs and a short dress, since women often seem to run on the cold side body temperature wise, while when men dress up, they put a tie around their neck trapping in the heat and then wear a jacket, while most men tend to be warmer than women.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2015 4:16 PM

R6 here...no undies! Underwear with board shorts? No.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2015 4:17 PM

What do you do for work R6? I'm guessing you can't stroll in just boardshorts.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2015 4:33 PM

R6 here - I have four houses here that I rent out. So board shorts are appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2015 5:13 PM

Why an undershirt?

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2015 5:15 PM

Without an undershirt, you get sweat stains on your button up shirt.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2015 5:58 PM

Board shorts, tee, flip flops and a girdle is all I require.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2015 7:04 PM

You always wear an undershirt under a dress shirt, philistine. And you always wear a dress shirt with a suit. You do know what a dress shirt is, don't you? Hint: they don't come in S, M or L.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2015 7:45 PM

When all is said and done, clothing does have considerable practical value. It exists for a reason. Even if it's not too cold/hot/rainy/ windy for nudity to be comfortable, the sun will take it's toll on your skin.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2015 8:00 PM

On the bright side, OP, it could be worse.

One incident from the PBS series "Manor House" has always stuck with me. The "upstairs" couple were going out for the evening and the wife said to her husband, "Is this too over the top? If you think it's too much, I could change. It won't take more than an hour or two."

That seemed to be the heart of the upper-crust existence. With three or four wardrobe changes every day (and many, many layers), they seemed to spend half their lives changing clothes. By comparison, we have it pretty easy.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2015 8:36 PM

I love how R6 provided a teaser to brag, roped them in with undies talk and then delivered the braggart details. Well played, R6...well played.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2015 9:00 PM

[quote] Without an undershirt, you get sweat stains on your button up shirt

No I don't. And if I did, I'd use these things called a washing machine and detergent. Or I'd give it to the dry cleaner.

You sweat fat.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2015 2:33 PM

People, you're slipping.

CAFTANS!

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2015 2:45 PM

If you stop wearing shoes, eventually the soles of your feet get so tough you don't need them.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2015 8:48 PM

I love putting on underpants.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2015 9:22 PM

[quote]You always wear an undershirt under a dress shirt, philistine.

No, Phyllis Stein, I do not. And I have never. That's the layer that [italic]creates[/italic] the sweat. Poor you, having to "always wear an undershirt."

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2015 9:32 PM

I have a (straight) male neighbour that only ever wears one pair of sweat pants and the same t-shirt. He's had them for at least two or three years now. He's not mentally ill. He's just cheap, single and a divorced guy.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2015 10:13 PM

What is the world coming to? Nothing like a handsome guy in a nice suit--makes him even hotter.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2015 10:18 PM

I am willing to believe, R26, that there are people who subscribe to that belief. I, however, am not one of them. I wonder how many guys agree with you that a suit makes a guy hotter (other than temperature-wise).

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2015 10:22 PM

R24 I disagree. For me I used to sweat like a pig until I quit drinking, whether I wore an undershirt or not. Wearing an undershirt just kept it from getting embarrassing.

I don’t sweat now that I quit drinking.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2021 11:11 PM

[quote] And you always wear a dress shirt with a suit.

I don’t think it’s so strict R16. People wear suits in so many ways now, if you want to do the Tim Gunn thing then good for you but it doesn’t mean that people can’t wear them differently.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2021 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!