Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wood countertops

I really like the look of thick polished solid wood counter tops but how much maintenance do they require as opposed to granite, quartz? Anyone have any experience?

I like marble but it's so porous and I think it has to be sealed every year?

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2020 6:42 PM

A restaurant in LA had beautiful bathrooms with wood counter tops. In less than a year, they were totally trashed and had to be replaced.

If you're talking about a bathroom or kitchen where it will deal with water, I'd say no. Unless it's a butcher block counter top. They hold up very well.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2015 3:55 AM

Corian countertops.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2015 4:12 AM

God those are hideous, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2015 4:24 AM

My favorite countertops ever were wood, but they probably wouldn't work well for someone who was messy and didn't clean up water spills when they happen. I oiled the most-used sections of mine from time to time to keep them looking good. My second favorites were stainless steel. I would love to have a kitchen with a combination of the two.

I can only imagine the abuse that wood suffered in a pubic bathroom.

Ikea sells them. Supposedly they're very popular in Scandinavian countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2015 4:29 AM

Wood will require way more maintenance than granite and quartz. You'll have to oil them regularly and be careful not to seal them with something toxic like marine varnish. I love the look of wood counters as well, but I know I'll never do the maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2015 4:31 AM

Marry me, r4. We share identical countertop tastes.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2015 4:34 AM

Can you seal them with urethane or anything?

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2015 4:35 AM

I am a slob. I spill things. Accidents happen in the kitchen. Another vote for Corian

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2015 4:40 AM

Would you seal a wood cutting board with urethane, R7?

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2015 4:41 AM

I won't use wood on the dishwasher/sink counter there's too much moisture going on there. For all the others - wood is no problem. Other than maybe concrete, wood is the easiest of all to maintain. Throw some oil at it once in a while. If it gets scratched, burned or stained - just sand it down (only takes a few minutes) and throw some more oil at it. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2015 4:47 AM

Woodworker/kitchen designer here. Food prep wooden counters should have "cutting board" oil...a light version of mineral oil on them to start. Re oil occasionally. Wood by high water areas will turn black if you don't wipe up the water all the time. Better choices around the sink are engineered stone like Zodiaq or Corian ( which is cheaper)... It is OK to mix materials. Also, some woods are more water resistant than others, but they all can turn black. Urethane is a version of varnish, it is a surface covering, ok for tables etc...not cutting boards.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2015 4:49 AM

I think this look is too rustic. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2020 4:30 PM

Concrete. Some people love them.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2020 4:39 PM

Corian in a neutral color is a good compromise. Granite is so played out, concrete is depressing, and marble reminds me of a mausoleum.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2020 6:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!