Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

U.s and Canada: Is there a major difference?

'm Japanese-Canadian and I've heard a lot about the U.S. since I was really little, and I've always wondered: is there a real big difference between the two countries. I mean I came to Canada when I was 7 and I've been watching the same shows as Americans, and shopping in the same malls, and learning the same things as Americans save for American history. But from what I heard, there is a big difference. If you live there for long (from what I hear), you'll notice people there are practical to the point of being extremely cruel. Feelings and saving face have zero weight there on average and there is less racism than in Canada. Is this true? Because I'm planning on working and studying there.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2020 1:43 AM

Canada is what America pretends to be, or rather, wishes it was.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2015 11:03 PM

This has all the hallmarks of a Canadian anti-American troll job.

Either that or the OP is some naive moron.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2015 11:08 PM

They're the same, but different. Both are good countries with good intentions. Best to leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2015 11:23 PM

The U.S. is very big and has several regions that are somewhat different from each other culturally. The answer would probably depend on where you are going.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2015 11:24 PM

Is this the major/resale/book troll?

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2015 11:26 PM

There is probably more racism in the US but Canadians harbour a lot of racism for Native people.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2015 11:43 PM

Yes, R5.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2015 12:16 AM

OP, visit various US cities before you make a rash decision. I think most differences are in terms of politics, racism, and the safety net. But daily life like entertainment, shopping, business are not much different. I guess people could say Americans are more aggressive and less passive aggressive. But once again, just visit for extended periods of times before making a decision.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2015 12:52 AM

Both countries are filled to the brim with cowards.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2015 2:29 AM

Canada is lame or what ?

A) yes

B) yeah

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2015 2:33 AM

[quote] I guess people could say Americans are more aggressive and less passive aggressive.

You're responding to the Major/Program/Book Resale Troll. He has a latent aggression you don't want to set off.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2015 3:24 AM

So, you're going to medical school here? Which school, OP? You've been asking questions about Columbine & Virginia Tech so I'd like to know where you'll be in case I need to move.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2015 3:34 AM

If bringing up Columbine and Virginia Tech isn't an anti-American Canadian shit-stirrer, what is?

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2015 3:38 AM

He brought up school shootings in one of his posts about bullying and what drives people to want to commit violent acts against people who have wronged them. Last week he asked if people would forgive a friend for killing someone. Stay in Canada, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2015 3:49 AM

Montreal is different from the average American city, but, no, a foreigner is not going to be able to tell any meaningful difference between the average U.S. and Canadian cities, except that Canada uses the metric system.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2020 12:25 AM

You've lived in Canda since you were 7 and have never been to the USA?

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] Is this the major/resale/book troll?

R16, this thread is from 2015 and was started by John/PMBT (the program/major/(book (resale) troll who was a prolific poster at that time. The 2015 bump troll bumped this thread tonight and many others because his orange master/deity must have done yet another massively idiotic thing from which the 2015 bump troll wants to detract.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2020 12:40 AM

There's a wider variety of more authentic Japanese food, at least in Markham Ontario, compared with most of the US.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2020 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!