Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bermuda

Has anyone ever been?

It looks like a mysterious island, very much unlike other Caribbean islands.

I've always wanted to go, but I don't know much about it.

Is it worth the trip? Anyone here with firsthand info?

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2020 12:58 AM

It's not really mysterious at all. It's quite a wealthy island. Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has a place there. We went there on a cruise last fall. The best way to get around is by scooter. The beaches are pretty but they tend to be overrun by tourists, especially on the days when the cruise ships come in (I know, we were part of the problem). I like beach bars and we didn't see any when we were there, aside from an overpriced and snooty hotel.

The scenery is pretty, of course. There are a lot of golf courses, if you're into that (we weren't). There are some interesting old forts. Lots of history in Bermuda. It's not a winter vacation spot by any means. Its latitude is about the same as South Carolina, so you're not going to be lounging on the beach in January. In fact, the cruises only run from May till September/October. We went on the cruise because we're from NYC so we wouldn't have to fly. The problem is hurricane season, of course. Our cruise was fine, but a couple of weeks before we went, there was a hurricane and the cruise was diverted to Florida. I would have been pissed off if that had happened to us!

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2015 12:11 PM

Oh, forgot to add that the reason we went on the cruise was that Bermuda is an expensive island. Food and accommodation are pricey. We figured that we'd save money by staying on the ship at night and exploring the island by day.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2015 12:15 PM

Thanks r1, that's exactly why I asked.

Norwegian is offering cruises to the island for decent rates, and I'm considering going with some friends.

The other factor is something you addressed, which is the weather. It seems like it would be fairly cool, and you pretty much confirmed it.

I'm not into golf either. I was just hoping to relax on a beach or do some sightseeing, if there are any sights to see.

I also wanted to try a "dark and stormy," which I've heard is "the" drink in Bermuda.

Is it very expensive?

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2015 12:15 PM

Not very mysterious, no but it is a tiny, gorgeous island that is like a bit of the Kentish countryside set in the tropics. If you live in NYC, it is only an hour's flight away but it will be totally different. Beautiful beaches, pristine aqua-colored water, great for sailing.

Very conservative though, expensive, and the food is just so-so.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2015 12:16 PM

By the way, OP, others will mention this in a nasty manner, but it's not in the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2015 12:18 PM

Here's the cruise I was checking out.

It's a 7-day roundtrip cruise from Boston for only $569 per person.

Sounds like a good deal!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2015 12:21 PM

Well, this past Nov/Dec was warm and sunny I heard. It rains in the winter but temps are 60ish, maybe not swimming weather but perfectly enjoyable. Bermuda used to be a huge winter destination back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

R6 note that the cruise price does not include tips , drinks, and taxi fares/scooter rental on the island. I think bus fare is like $4 a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2015 12:27 PM

Do you need a passport to go to Bermuda?

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2015 12:29 PM

R3, I tried the "Dark and Stormy" and hated it! It's all a matter of taste, obviously. It has ginger beer in it and I don't like beer. I gave it a try because I thought perhaps ginger beer tasted like ginger ale, but that was not the case.

Yeah, R6, we went on NCL. It was a good deal from NYC too, but beware of hidden charges. Internet, for instance! The thing is, NCL (or any other cruise for that matter) makes their money on those "sea days." I assume there are more sea days from Boston than from NYC, but we had two on the way to Bermuda and one on the way back. There's not much to do but drink and eat. Oh, and buy art! We went to one of those art shows for shits and giggles. And gamble. We didn't do that.

We did see a couple of shows - "Rock of Ages" - hated it! - and Second City which was funny but very short. Also, we went in September, so there were few kids. We hadn't even thought about it in advance but it was a huge plus.

People complain about the size of the ship relative to the number of passengers. You should check out Cruise Critic, although some of the posters there are kind of scary and seem to do nothing but go on cruises over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2015 12:32 PM

It's a very pretty island with an English, old-money feel; subtropical as opposed to tropical landscape and lacking the prodigious poverty of other British Caribbean colonies (Jamaica, Barbados).

Sort of like a piece of Greenwich Connecticut broke off and floated a few hundred miles south.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2015 12:34 PM

[quote] Sort of like a piece of Greenwich Connecticut broke off and floated a few hundred miles south.

Hmmm... sounds kind of nice, actually.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2015 12:36 PM

If Greenwich painted their houses in pastel colors. Actually, the houses look more like Cornwall. The roofs serve as a water collection system. There is no water on the island; they have to collect and store rain water.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2015 12:45 PM

Years ago I heard that Bermuda wasn't gay-friendly. Has that changed?

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2015 1:00 PM

I went there for a business meeting once with BELCO. Had a grand time being wined and dined. Saw and did lots. Nice people on Bermuda. Bring lots of money though.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2015 1:06 PM

It's very conservative. A LOT of churches. Their economy is based on cruise ship passengers since the 2008 economic collapse so they are very welcoming to tourists. But discretion is the word.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2015 1:07 PM

Feature in the Times today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2015 2:36 PM

It's off the coast of the Carolinas so it's not as hot as you think it might be. It's not the Caribbean. But it's very pretty and British. Bermuda drives on the left side of the road. Watch yourself as you speed around the winding roads on your motor bike.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2015 2:59 PM

Beautiful island and not as overtouristed as other spots. More families and older people than singles and scenesters. It would be like Greenwich if most people in Greenwich were black. Bus system is good, makes it easy to get around. Feels like it is waiting to be rediscovered by trendy types. As others have said, it is not beach weather in December/January, more like low 60s

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2015 1:32 PM

It's very British. And it's a small island, you can really see most of it in a day.

If you dive, there a lot of good wreck dives not far off the coast.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2015 1:37 PM

Greyhound operates a route to Hamilton, Bermuda from Norfolk.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2015 2:07 PM

Fun Fact: It was settled by the Virginia Company in 1609 (the people who settled Jamestown in 1607) accidentally, due to shipwreck, and governed as part of Virginia until 1615. Then another company took over until 1684 when the Brits took over.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2015 2:52 PM

If your family is a member THE FORTY THIEVES crowd, life on Bermuda was and still is mostly sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2015 4:02 PM

Here's a picture of Bermuda from the air, which has had the odd effect of making me lose interest in ever visiting the place.

Perhaps it's because every square inch of the island seems to have expensive houses or golf courses on it. The only wild or beautiful places are in the sea,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2015 4:28 PM

Just love their onions ....

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2015 4:37 PM

It sounds really nice. Didn't realize it was such a short flight from NYC. Now I wish I'd visited pre-COVID :( I'll never have a chance now.

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Some of it reminded me of old style Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2020 12:22 AM

Love Bermuda. Discovered the lure of rum at the Swizzle Inn. Partied with the locals (most of whom work in the hotels) and when I checked out of my hotel and went to pay my two-week bar tab, I was told "what bar tab? Don't remember you doing any drinking...wink wink". Nice people. If you don't want to stay at a huge resort, e.g., Southampton Princess, there's scads of cottages like a tony yet friendly campground. Recommend it highly. Just not in September - whole place shuts down for the hurricanes; the causeway linking the island to the airport gets flooded out.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2020 12:31 AM

I know a Bermudan of English descent. He's massively intelligent, well-spoken with a Puritan work ethic and no real scope for advancement on the island.

(I offered myself to him but he declined)

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2020 12:32 AM

It's one of those places strivers went to in the 80s to brag about, like the Bahamas. But there are way better and more interesting places to go that offer more if not the same experience.

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2020 12:39 AM

[quote]It's one of those places strivers went to in the 80s to brag about, like the Bahamas. But there are way better and more interesting places to go that offer more if not the same experience.

Such as....?

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2020 12:41 AM

Am scared of the Triangle

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2020 12:43 AM

Went there a bunch growing up on family vacations (Fairmount, the big pink hotel) in the 90s and 00s and went back once in around 2014 -- really nice beaches, you get get anywhere on the bus system, very cool caves you can go on tours of (loved that as a kid)

No idea what other posters are talking about with "Greenwich, CT" -- there are very expensive parts of the island where people like Mike Bloomberg have vacation homes, but the locals don't live all that large and the areas where they live range from run down to middle class.

Very old school British feel to the place, more formal than much of the US.

IIRC, the weather from say November to March is iffy, can be low 70s beach day but can also be mid-50s. Flip is it does not get super hot in the summer.

It has definitely fallen out of favor with tourists--even when I was a kid (90s) there was a sense that its glory days were long past, though that was also part of the charm--it wasn't as overrrun with the sort of overly entitled people who make St. Barths and other islands unpleasant and the locals were glad to see tourists.

It is a great 4-day weekend from NY/BOS/DC as the flight is very quick and if all you do is lay on the beach and eat dinner at the hotel you're not missing a whole lot, though if you want to explore, there is plenty to do.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2020 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!