Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ghosts

In your experience, do they exist?

by Anonymousreply 86April 4, 2021 1:02 AM

They are the number one, most believed in, supernatural phenomenon. The belief in ghosts is world-wide and has existed in all cultures since the beginning of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2015 6:32 PM

Not only ghosts .......... I also believe in haunted places too ..........

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2015 6:33 PM

Ghost can be the essence and then the definition of a career.

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2015 6:35 PM

No, of course not.

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2015 7:33 PM

I've never seen, heard, or otherwise felt the presence of one. Most ghost stories strike me as unbelievable, though I would be open to the possibility of ghosts if I could find a credible witness. Really, I don't even understand what a ghost is supposed to be, exactly. Is there a clear universal definition?

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2015 7:55 PM

I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe in spirits.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2015 7:59 PM

Yes. I am one.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2015 8:15 PM

I've never experienced anything supernatural but I think it's a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2015 8:35 PM

It would be nice to know spirits existed, it would make this life seem less unfair somehow.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2015 5:39 PM

No, I do not think they exist, but I do believe in roasts.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2015 6:42 PM

Is that a ghost in the upstairs window of the garage? This is the Phil Hartman house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2015 5:51 AM

I related a story about this in the "Supernatural" category.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2015 3:39 AM

It looks like a shit hole, R11. And who the fuck paints "humps" in the road? It's a fucking "bump".

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2015 3:46 AM

There are no ghosts. There is not even a Holy Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2015 3:56 AM

I prefer the term spirits and, yes, they do exist but probably not in a sense we can comprehend. They have had a profound effect on my life.

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2015 4:00 AM

In my experience, "No".

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2015 4:53 AM

Stories please

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2015 9:03 PM

Every time I go down to my basement I think about nastiness and 100% pure filth. I am convinced there is an evil spirit causing it. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2015 9:12 PM

I saw something nasty in the woodshed, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2015 9:14 PM

Ghost pictures..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2015 9:24 PM

I felt compelled to say "motherfucker" over 100 times in a row in my basement. I think a spirit is behind it. I rarely use profanity and felt scared after I said it. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2015 9:33 PM

No Duhvida, they don't exist

For the millionth time.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2015 10:00 PM

Pfffffft

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2015 10:18 PM

R19 I say, did it see YOU?

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2015 10:38 PM

My heart is a Ghost Town.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2015 10:57 PM

Re: the link at R20. I think many of those "ghost photos" are attributable to either pareidolia/matrixing or just plain photography tricks. In fact, I think quite a few have already been discredited and/or explained. With the prolific use of Photoshop, many people readily dismiss recent photographs, but these same people tend to forget that people used photographic trickery since the very introduction of cameras.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2015 1:01 AM

I felt something brush past me in a friend's home and never liked to stay overnight there, but I have many times over 20 years.

After I recently told my friend that the hallway had a weird vibe he told me his uncle said the same thing and felt a presence also. The uncle was old and conservative, not a ghost believing guy. Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2015 1:07 AM

I don't believe in the supernatural but I don't mock those who do. I have a friend who is a completely sane, sensible guy who swears blind he lived in a haunted apartment. I have no reason to think he's making it up, in fact he's told very few people about it. I don't think it was a ghost, I think he got spooked by something or other and his imagination did the rest but he believes it so it's real to him.

Interesting to me is that I know quite a few medics, any who've worked in hospitals for any length of time have ghost stories that they firmly believe.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2015 1:13 AM

Ghost stories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2015 6:26 PM

If Ghosts exist, then they are more afraid of me than I am of them, because the avoid me completely.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2015 6:30 PM

R20, I saw that photograph, or one just like it, may years ago in the old magazine "Fate." This was probably in the 1970s. I think it was found to be fake.

I do believe in ghosts though. I've read recently that animals' eyes are able to see farther into the spectrum than we can, which explains why they seem to bark at invisible things. Maybe not invisible to them. I think in the end, people will develop photographic equipment that will allow some of these things to become visible. People shouldn't be so egotistical as to think that if a human can't see something, it isn't there. That's what people though about germs before microscopes, and that was wrong.

"Ghosts" may not be conscious dead people either. They could be some type of echo, or leftover energy.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2015 6:34 PM

If one has never had a basic experience or a few, I wouldn't expect that person to be a believer in "Ghosts."

The concept and belief in ghosts has to be mostly experienced. I never gave it that much attention or belief until a handful of minor experiences when I moved to a historic civil war area. Maybe one unexplained experience before that in a mundane suburban house, unmistakable and just once.

I believe it's more than "Ghosts."

It's a certain energy, when and if we make a connection. I refuse to make more of "Ghosts" than that.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2015 6:41 PM

The DMT thread got me thinking about the importance of the pineal gland in sensory experience and even sensual awareness. I think people who are born artists and musicians have a sort of hyper developed "animal" or reptilian part of their brains, which is the brain stem, the "reptilian" brain. This is actually considered the most primitive part of the bran, so I'm not claiming this denotes necessary superiority but an almost dog-like ability to smell subtle, chemical cues (fear, arousal), see an intense spectrum of colors and hear more lower and higher frequency sound than other people. Obviously, other animals have developed senses far beyond what a human is capable of but I mean the highest and lowest ends of human capacity are pushed in people with this kind of development.

Life is already so odd, I don't see how confirming that ghosts or something like them exist, would be so impossible to believe. I've seen research on hydrothermal vents firsthand and the chemosynthesis performed by tubeworms, MRI research, robotics research, time travel research and historical documents that reveal all sort of weird things about our existence and the realms of possibility, as we know it and let's face it: Life is weird.

I've never personally had an experience but these stories -- while explainable sometimes -- are no, less odd than the discovery that there are creatures on Earth that need no Sunlight or product from it, to survive.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2015 7:01 PM

11 homes haunted by dead celebrities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2015 7:48 PM

R33, Oliver Sacks gave a fascinating talk about hallucinations and the brain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2015 8:25 PM

Oops bad link, sorry.

But he talked about older people who are visually impaired and have hallucinations despite being sane and healthy (no dementia involved). The nursing staff thought this 90 year old woman was insane because she kept seeing people dressed in Mid-Eastern garb in her room while another kept seeing Kermit the Frog and other cartoons. It turned out the lower portion of their brains that controls vision were hyperactive and certain neurons that recognize specific things (there is one specific neuron for Kermit the Frog for example) were firing off. As long as these visions were random and irrelevant, it was the lower part of the brain working. But if it involves emotions like fear or there is connection to your life, it involves a higher and more complex part of the brain.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2015 8:34 PM

No one ever fakes pictures of paranormal phenomena.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2015 8:47 PM

More Celebrity hauntings.Lucy is mentioned again.Joan Crawford's house is majorly haunted and can't be fixed,even after an exorcism..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2015 8:48 PM

I believe it about Joan Crawford's house.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2015 8:50 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2015 9:31 PM

Pickfair was very haunted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2015 9:53 PM

Of course they aren't real. If they were they would be a consistent universal phenomenon throughout history and across cultures, which they definitely are not. There's no agreement on what they look like, how they act and what they can and can't do. It's basically the world's most popular urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2015 10:09 PM

Most people who think the have ghosts actually have mice, rats, squirrels, possums or raccoons in their attic/walls

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2015 10:18 PM

[quote] Of course they aren't real. If they were they would be a consistent universal phenomenon throughout history and across cultures, which they definitely are not.

Exactly. Pretty much everyone would have seen s ghost at one time or another, like eclipses or St Elmo's fire or swarms of starlings diving in perfect formation. They would be a natural phenomenon just like the things I've mentioned.

Millions and millions of people have died throughout history. Battlefields would be the site of scores of tormented ghosts of men who did not want to die so far from home. Imagine the fear and the pain, anger and bewilderment they felt as they died. If that doesn't cause a haunting, nothing will. And nothing does.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2015 10:24 PM

Ok, I'm supposed to think some movie star's house was haunted., yet Auschwitz doesn't have 100,000 ghosts.

It's just not logical.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2015 10:27 PM

R44, there are a lot of stories about the battlefield at Gettysburg being haunted, a lot of sightings. Some seem to be consistent, as far as unrelated people seeing the same thing in the same place at different times. If anywhere in America would be haunted, it would be there.

Take it with a grain of salt if you like, but Civil War re-enactors filiming a movie on site reported seeing an old man in a Union uniform, who came by and discussed the battle with them, and offered them rounds of ammunition. Turned out no one connected with the movie knew him and they were real, Civil War era rounds. You never know.

Can you imagine how confused a ghost at Gettysburg would be, seeing all those re-enactors over time? They would probably think the war is still going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2015 10:40 PM

Yes. I believe in ghosts. I used to be skeptical until both my sister and I saw the same ghost in our family home on separate occasions. We were sitting around talking about the subject of ghosts, and both of us recounted having nearly had the same experience with this specter years earlier, each having kept the experience to ourselves prior to that conversation. But what the woman looked like, what she was wearing, where she was, and what she was doing, was all the same.

Also, after my uncle died, he came back to pay a visit to my mother (his favorite sister). Nobody saw him, but when he was alive he had this thing that he would do with the mailbox to let my mother know he was at the front door. He would flip the lid of the internal mailbox to the house back and forth and make this squeaking noise with it for about 10 seconds. Nobody else knew about this "code" except those of us living in the house, and we were all together in the kitchen eating lunch when it occurred. He had just died a couple days earlier, and his body was on a plane ready to go back to Iowa to be buried. It was as if he came back to do it once more to say goodbye to her.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2015 10:54 PM

I saw one in my house two years ago. It spoke to me and mumbled some shit about how I'm in it's house and how I should move. I let a huge fart and it left me alone after that,

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2015 11:40 PM

Ghosts? It's all humbug, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2015 11:43 PM

I'm a rational person and a skeptic, but I've had experiences that I cannot explain on two occasions with some sort of presence, in both cases after elderly women has died in my childhood home.

Because of that I can't help but leave open the possibility that some sort of existence beyond the plane we experience may, on occasion, impinge upon our reality.

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2015 1:31 AM

has = had

by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2015 1:32 AM

I know they exist and I have had experiences. I have not seen one. And I don't want to see one.

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2015 1:42 AM

Twice I have seen footage that seemed very real, on the TV ghost shows. One was filmed at Gettysberg.

by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2015 1:49 AM

Daytona Beach haunted hotel with footage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2015 4:22 AM

Can we get any extroverted ghosts? I mean - are all of them so mysterious and shy?

I want some fun ghosts who are chatty. There has to be some.

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2015 4:24 AM

R46 Great ghost stories about Gettysburg.

by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2015 4:46 AM

R55 I'm beginning to think ghosts have rules.It seems they can only reveal so much.I hope they do come up with the technology to communicate.Those Gettysburg stories were great.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2015 5:18 AM

R55 EXTROVERTRD GHOST FUN FACT-According to the film, Casper was a twelve-year-old boy living in Whipstaff Manor with his inventor father J.T. McFadden until he died from pneumonia after playing out in the cold until it was past nightfall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2015 5:35 AM

Why is Gettysburg one of the more haunted battlefields in the world? How about Europe or The Far East--they've had horrible battles since the Greek and Roman times with thousands of lives lost,

Is it because of it was the civil war and emotions were higher than?

by Anonymousreply 59October 22, 2015 10:48 AM

Nurses have the best stories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2015 11:14 AM

R44 has a pretty simplistic and narrow idea of how it "must" be in order to be real.

by Anonymousreply 61October 22, 2015 11:17 AM

Bump for Halloween!

by Anonymousreply 62October 22, 2015 6:06 PM

I love ghost stories since I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 63October 22, 2015 6:23 PM

[quote]If they were they would be a consistent universal phenomenon throughout history and across cultures,

They actually are consistently found in legends, myths and stories from every culture throughout every period of history.

Of course this isn't proof that they exist, but your statement that they aren't consistently described and repeatedly mentioned in writings and oral traditions from every culture across the globe going back millennia is absurdly stated and patently false.

by Anonymousreply 64October 22, 2015 6:32 PM

Nothing to watch this evening? Lifetime Movie Network (LMN) series "The Haunting Of" has a new episode this evening 10/22:

"The Haunting of (10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on LMN) - Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki Newman, The Young and the Restless) returns to a home in Sherman Oaks, California, she fled decades ago after a face-to-face meeting with a desperate spirit."

Actually, it looks like LMN is running a marathon most of the day of this series. There's also a new one with rocker, Meatloaf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 22, 2015 6:51 PM

More haunted houses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 22, 2015 7:17 PM

No, no, a thousand times no. And they are especially not in Salem, Massachusetts.

It is the living that we need truly fear.

by Anonymousreply 67October 22, 2015 7:29 PM

My mother and I spent the night in a supposed haunted house in our family. There were about five (large five bedroom, old home) people upstairs including us and one downstairs. Mom and I had been complaining about not being able to go to sleep because our beds were both uncomfortable when we heard footsteps come up the stairs, turn left and walk to our bedroom door and stop. There was no noise after that. Our door was open but we could not see out the door from where our beds were and frankly we were too afraid to get up and look. There was an otherworldly feeling around us like it wasn't one of the others in the house walking. We started to leave to drive home because we were so scared but didn't. In the morning everyone denied hearing the footsteps and all denied doing it to try and scare us. But a few of them said they had heard those footsteps before.

by Anonymousreply 68October 22, 2015 7:58 PM

Signs your house may be haunted..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 22, 2015 8:12 PM

Speaking of nurses, I've told this story here before but it worth repeating since this is the only time I've really witnessed a ghost or whatever.

I used to work on a Cardiac/Telemtry floor of a hospital. On this particular floor, every patient was being monitored by a camera and attached to an EKG monitor 24/7. There was a small room where a technician sat and watched the monitors and cameras. If there were any cardiac arrhythmia, the camera would let us know if the patient was moving or at rest, etc. One day, I came on the floor and they had received a comatose patient, this person had a stroke and there was a DNR (do not resuscitate) order signed by the family that day. That morning, on the camera, we saw a white figure at the edge of the bed. We immediately walked into the patients room to see if anything was there--but nothing.

Anyway, we watched this figure on the cameras---it hovered at the edge of the bed and later moved to float above the patient. It looked like a white hazy figure with wings at the back and hands folded in prayer. But it remained there all day and had all the nurses crowded into that small telemetry room. I am not sure what happened the next day since I worked per diem at the hospital. It may have stayed there until the patient died.

by Anonymousreply 70October 22, 2015 9:11 PM

R70. That's really interesting, and I believe you because I've seen a ghost too (also witnessed by my friend who was with me). I've read other nursing stories similar to yours and it just makes me wonder why EVERY patient doesn't have a white light/spirit nearby when the end comes. Why don't these events happen with every passing?

Such a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 71October 23, 2015 3:27 AM

R71, I don't know but I remember the nurses discussing this. Most of the people we kept on telemetry rarely were comatose or DNR and the floor received this patient because it was the only bed available. Those who were DNR were usually shipped to another floor where they don't have the constant monitoring/cameras. In other words, maybe it does happen but its not captured on film like this.

There wasn't too much information on this person. The sad part is that there were no family or visitors at the bedside all day.

by Anonymousreply 72October 23, 2015 6:34 AM

R72, maybe the thing you saw was a spirit watching over this person, because they didn't have a living family member to watch over them. I've heard a lot of stories of dying elderly people seeing people that died many years ago, parents or relatives or spouses. They seem to be able to see them pretty clearly.

It's not always a great thing to have family hanging over you when you feel really sick, especially if there's no one you're really close to and they're doing it out of obligation. I'd rather be alone myself.

by Anonymousreply 73October 23, 2015 2:54 PM

the astral dimension is like a building, where each level is a world itself. The higher is the level, the more refined and elevated is the reality. Each floor correspond s to a certain frequence.

these spirits are confined in sub-level from a lower part of the astral dimension, energetically very closed to 3th dimesion (our reality).

that's why some spiritual philosophies promote the raising of individual's pattern vibratory.

the next level, the one above the astral dimesion, is the Mental dimesion.

by Anonymousreply 74October 23, 2015 3:53 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 75October 26, 2015 12:51 AM

I hear knocking periodically. I heard it loud & clear on my front door once. I lived in a house surrounded by a giant fence with a creaky gate. I was home alone one day and heard three loud knocks. I got up right away because I felt uneasy & checked nobody was there. I opened the door and looked outside nobody was there and my gate was shut. I would have seen someone running. A few nights ago I was in bed in the really early morning. I heard someone knock on my window but of course nobody was there. I've had other random occurrences and lived in two haunted houses growing up. I also think I and my closest friend experienced a lot of poltergeist activity as teens. It was always when we were together.

by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2015 2:09 AM

More stories please.

by Anonymousreply 77October 26, 2015 8:52 AM

R70 Too bad they don't film the DNR people who could maybe sign a waiver for scientific study.Hopefully everyone has that Angel,it would be a great study if it happens repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 78October 26, 2015 8:59 AM

I didn't until I saw him. The common expression "You look like you've seen a ghost" is common for a reason. Your belief system changes in an instant. I was raised by scientists and did not believe in the supernatural but I know better now. When Hamlet saw his fathers' ghost and his best friend didn't believe him he said "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy Horatio ." It happens.

by Anonymousreply 79October 26, 2015 12:57 PM

Bump bump bump in the night...

by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2015 8:31 PM

The only way that anyone will believe in ghosts or spirits is if they have a personal experience with one. No matter how much you respect someone who tells you they know and have experienced ghosts or a ghost, you would still not be convinced unless you personally have an encounter. I have, and my partner has not. He doesn't think I'm making shit up but he figures there must be some explanation for it; there is: ghost.

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2015 9:39 PM

Scare me..

by Anonymousreply 82October 31, 2015 8:26 AM

Ghosty bump đź‘»

by Anonymousreply 83April 3, 2021 10:35 PM

My father died when I was 5 and my mother just last year.

Part of me likes to think they're together, that there's an afterlife. I asked her to send me a sign a few years ago; "Why? Nobody sent ME a sign!" she shot back in her best Beth Jarrett.

Later, she said she would.

There's no sign.

My best friend (though I'm not sure I was his) killed himself a few years ago. I've housesat for his widow when she's gone away to be with her family. Sat in the area where he killed himself.

Nothing.

Not. A. Thing.

There is no afterlife. There's this one. Enjoy it while you can.

I want to have some fun after we get back to some kind of normalcy.

People are free to believe whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 84April 3, 2021 10:45 PM

I had a friends father communicate with me after they died. It was strange because I wasn’t really close to him at all. I met him a few times and he was a nice guy. Basically he was conveying how proud he was of them and how much he loved them. I didn’t say anything for. Longtime because I felt really weird. I don’t think spirits can necessarily reach exactly who they want so they get as close as they can any opportunity they can get. I was somebody close to his son who he was able to reach at that time for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 85April 3, 2021 10:48 PM

You should have called LIM, r84.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 4, 2021 1:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!