Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jacques de Bascher

Immortalized in the book The Beautiful Fall and in the recent film Saint Laurent, Bascher was a very minor aristocrat (his family had bought the title) who came to Paris to become famous. He became the lover and muse of both Karl Lagerfeld (whom he called 'Mein kaiser') and Yvs St. Laurent because of his stunning Proustian good looks, and was painted by David Hockney. He died at 38 of AIDS; very few people came to his funeral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2018 2:20 AM

Brings back too many of then unknown horrors lurking just a few years in future.. This recent history is still being shaped and surely will be called the Gay Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2015 6:11 AM

He kept a gynecologist's chair in his living room for parties.

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2015 2:13 PM

In the recent “kept gay men thread” I mentioned that I think Jacques was absolutely beautiful. Does anyone else agree?

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2018 10:23 PM

no r3, you're on your own with that one. But, then again, I expect you're quite used to being on your own.

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2018 10:27 PM

j'adore the cocktail glass, there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2018 10:30 PM

Was just reading about him. Something for the birds.

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2018 10:32 PM

I think he's just average looking. I guess if you like that pouty French look you might find him attractive. But he's no Robert Redford or Michael Landon who were both stunningly beautiful as young men.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2018 10:35 PM

Jacques was handsome but not a great beauty. He was a fashion plate, chic. His face had good and bad angles, the best being full on because he had nice eyes and elegant thin lips. His face isn't that rare in France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2018 10:37 PM

A bio published last year:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2018 10:41 PM

I just find big noses, angular faces, and good fashion sense beautiful on both men and women. Hence, why I also find the late Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy to be stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2018 10:48 PM

You would have liked the Agnellis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2018 10:52 PM

Sad

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2018 10:59 PM

Now the Agnellis are more like it. They were real aristocrats of true refinement, not like that bourgeois wannabe Bascher. I always feel a ting of sadness when I see this Horst photo of Marella Agnelli with her favorite son Edoardo. Beautiful Edoardo was the heir to the Agnelli billions. He was also a serious scholar of religion. He decided to convert to Shi'a Islam and spent time in Iran with Ayatollah Khomeini. When he returned to Italy, he was murdered by some Jewish cousins who had married into the Agnelli family. They now have the family forune. Marella is still alive and still mourns for her dear lost son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2018 11:06 PM

He died in 1989 when AIDS wasn't particularly scandalous in our sophisticated cities. On the contrary, there was a dreary routine of big memorials for our dead. So why no-one at his funeral? Was he finally disliked?

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2018 11:13 PM

Beyond

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2018 11:38 PM

Jesus, Sooooo hot.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2018 11:40 PM

R14, he may not have been a very nice person. He's a prominent character in Bertand Bonello's "Saint Laurent" (which I highly recommend even though it goes on forever); in it he is portrayed as very sexy, depraved, and opportunistic. Of course, that seems to have been catnip to Lagerfeld: Lagerfeld visited de Bascher every day in the hospital when he was dying, and has never really said a bad word about him since then. But plenty of Saint Laurent's friends really disliked him.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2018 11:52 PM

scroll back through the slide show at R15. TBM

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2018 11:56 PM

Lagerfeld can be counted on for some Teutonic rectitude. He's often a class act without having to say that he is.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2018 11:58 PM

On a sidenote - Yves SL completely ignored that Bascher was sick and dying and of course never visited him in hospital. I guess he abhorred reality and was too horrified to deal with suffering and dying.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2018 12:43 AM

Karl Lagerfeld has said that he and Jacques never had sex, even though they were partners and that Jacques was the “love of his life”. Do we believe that?

It’s hard to image Lagerfeld sleeping with his current muse Gianbaconi, so perhaps he just like to lavish beautiful men with money, gifts, and attention?

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2018 12:49 AM

R20, don't you realize that YSL was working on a COLLECTION? He couldn't risk any negative vibrations interfering with his creative process!

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2018 1:01 AM

Bump for the beauty.

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2018 2:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!