Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I hate sitcoms with lots "ooohing" and screaming when a character comes on the scene

I think it started with Happy Days and Fonzie.

by Anonymousreply 81July 21, 2019 10:27 PM

I listen to old time radio and on "Burn and Allen," when they had the celebrity come one, you'd hear a good amount of clapping and once in awhile, if it was a pretty guest star like Marie MacDonald or Rita Heyworth, a couple of wolf whistles.

But when they had Alan Ladd on, the entire audience went crazy. It was worse that when Fonzie or Chachi came on Happy Days.

I had no idea who the guy was.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2015 11:34 AM

Slap him, Willona!

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2015 11:37 AM

It's an American thing. You're an excitable people.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2015 11:38 AM

Steady...Steady now

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2015 11:42 AM

Nothing about 'Fonzie' ever made me ooh and scream....and I was at the age when I was supposed to be impressed.

That whole Fonzie thing was bizarro.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2015 12:06 PM

The audience is TOLD to do that. The few times when the audience really got crazy were edited out, like when Sammy Davis Jr. kissed Archie or Rhoda told Phyllis her brother was gay.

Most of the "oohing" or the "gasp" noise the audience makes sounds like it's canned half the time.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2015 12:17 PM

Don't feel bad, r5, the show was for dumbos.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2015 12:17 PM

Did anyone else want to sink down on their knees and worship the Fonz's cok inside a stall in the men's room at Arnold's?

That white t-shirt and the tight jeans caused me to ooh and ahh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2015 12:42 PM

[quote]Did anyone else want to sink down on their knees and worship the Fonz's cok inside a stall in the men's room at Arnold's?

No.

Thank you, R7...I feel better now. Reassured.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2015 12:46 PM

The Fonz, and the entire series, were so much better the first two seasons before they went to a live audience and changed the sets. Suddenly, everybody was playing to the rafters, Howard became really, really loud and the show became much more family friendly.

Fonzie developed in the first two seasons but he was also funny and sarcastic. It wasn't as much fun when it became all about him.

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2015 12:51 PM

This has been going on since the extraordinary invention of television. It is called history. Look it up and you'll be amazed at the information they hide in books. Vacuous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2015 12:52 PM

Fonzie was such a cool dude.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2015 12:53 PM

The guest stars on Here's Lucy always paused for an extended applause.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2015 12:55 PM

Married With Children had the worst studio audience.

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2015 12:55 PM

[quote] Vacuous cunt.

Little Ms. Mary's got her knickers in a twist.

She needs to learn to get upset about more important things than this and to stop lashing out at strangers on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2015 1:06 PM

ABC Family's Baby Daddy still employs that when one of the leads is shirtless ala Saved By The Bell. I remember the first time I saw that reaction was when Scott Baio was shirtless on Happy Days. I appreciate the shirtless ness but the reaction annoys me....

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2015 1:16 PM

And I supposed you would also like to get rid of catch phrases, laugh tracks, sad music when something sad happens and character-related merchandising too OP? You're just not an artist OP.

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2015 1:18 PM

OP is 600 pounds and never leaves his mother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2015 1:18 PM

You people going off about "Happy Days" being for idiots...keep in mind the shit that passes for entertainment today.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2015 1:20 PM

[quote]You people going off about "Happy Days" being for idiots...keep in mind the shit that passes for entertainment today.

Doesn't make this cult shiftfest less shitty.

by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2015 1:26 PM

R20, I'm just saying that when I see crap like "Real Housewives" or "The Kardashians," I only wish "Happy Days" was on instead. I hate this culture of people being famous solely for being a spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2015 1:31 PM

It's worse when the audience boos and heckles when a character comes on the scene. Well, at least I think it would be. It's not like I would know or anything.

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2015 1:37 PM

Truth is that Happy Days didn't begin life as shitty as it became later on. The television series that caused people to coin the phrase "jump the shark" was a whole lot better in the first two or three seasons, when there was still some attempt to control the characters , and when they tried to keep the details in the show accurate to period in which the show was set, it wasn't so bad.

HOWEVER - once Gerry Marshall smelled money in the repetition of a certain formula to the simpleton masses who were/are Muddle America, any nope of quality left the show forever. The same strategy ruined Good Times, even as both shows retained viewers.

Later on, as Happy Days became worse and worse, and less authentic-feeling, suddenly the young female leads began showing up with distinctly 1970s style feathered haircuts and awful perms.

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2015 1:45 PM

I thought they eventually had to tell the audience to hold back when Kramer came on because it was making the show take longer.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2015 1:45 PM

Doing this every time Kramer appeared ruined Seinfeld for me.

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2015 1:46 PM

I read once that Seinfeld actually told the audience to cool it because they kept doing that when Kramer would come in.

by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2015 1:46 PM

I audiences don't "oooh", "aaaahh" and scream at a character how are we all supposed to know which characters are cool, sexy and popular and which ones aren't?

by Anonymousreply 27April 17, 2015 1:47 PM

R#16 you beat me too it...

baby daddy every episode has this, then again pretty much every episode they show tall built hunky derek theler in some matter of undress! his character is such a hunky but dumb himbo.. i wonder if he gets tired of being displayed so blatantly every week? then again, probably not, it's a paycheck right?!

by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2015 2:05 PM

Every time Jennifer Coolidge walks on screen (no matter how many appearances in an episode) the "2 Broke Girls" audience goes ballistic.

by Anonymousreply 29April 17, 2015 2:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 17, 2015 2:14 PM

LOL @ R27

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2015 2:16 PM

Happy Days became a children's show when the Fonz became the main character. My nephew was about 5 years old at the time and he and his friends adored the Fonz. They all went around sticking up their thumbs and saying, "Ay!"

by Anonymousreply 32April 17, 2015 2:22 PM

R29, considering her reputation, she probably insisted on it.

by Anonymousreply 33April 17, 2015 2:22 PM

Happy Days was a kind of spin off of American Graffiti wasn't it? It was good the first few seasons when Fonzie was just some mainly silent hood standing around in the burger joint that all the kids feared and were in awe of.

What the hell happened to Chuck? Guest characters like Leather Tuscadero later on were ridiculously dressed for the time period the show was set in, going along with the feathered hair comment.

by Anonymousreply 34April 17, 2015 2:25 PM

I'll watch Happy Days before most of the crap that's on TV now.

by Anonymousreply 35April 17, 2015 2:27 PM

Chuck vanished with the overhaul of Season 3. He only appeared twice in Season 2 anyhow and was played by a different actor than in Season One. The first Chuck really looked like a Cunningham, the second not so much but he was cute.

Also sacrificed for the new Happy Days- a lot of the wit, the Cunningham dining room, Marcia and the other waitresses at Arnold's, the location shoots (unless it was a very special vacation story), the Arnold's parking lot scenes (which were part of a lot of the charm plus the Cunningham home set felt less cozy and became more stagey.

by Anonymousreply 36April 17, 2015 2:42 PM

Burger joint parking lots was where most of the HS socializing was done so that was really a dumb move.

by Anonymousreply 37April 17, 2015 2:47 PM

We never would make the studio audience do that on "Mr. T and Tina"!

by Anonymousreply 38April 17, 2015 2:47 PM

The audience reaction to guest stars on Friends was inconsistent. I assumed that the studio audience would have seen the guest star before they appeared on camera, so the idea that they were told to react that way seems valid. An example of the differences was the yahoos that Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis got compared to the silence that Alec Baldwin and some others got. But then maybe the Baldwin and others scenes were shot without the audience, as the company often did for complicated scenes.

by Anonymousreply 39April 17, 2015 2:47 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 17, 2015 2:57 PM

I remember an episode of Family Guy where they ridiculed audience reactions.

by Anonymousreply 41April 17, 2015 3:18 PM

On "Good Times" there was a character called Sweet Daddy. He was a pimp; he always made an entrance dressed in Superfly finery, and was always flanked by two goons who were his "bodyguards", also decked out as outlandishly as Sweet Daddy. The studio audience was quite impressed with him; whenever he made an entrance they'd always go "wooooooooo!" He was a PIMP, for Christ's sake!

by Anonymousreply 42April 17, 2015 3:20 PM

Henry Winkler couldn't even pass for a thirtysomething anymore when he played high school student Fonzie.

by Anonymousreply 43April 17, 2015 4:05 PM

[quote]Happy Days was a kind of spin off of American Graffiti wasn't it

Uh, no. Movies have sequels. TV series have spin-offs. A movie that is made into a TV show has been "adapted;" the TV show is an adaptation of the movie. Recycled stories and characters with new casts and scripts in either medium are called reboots. None of these terms apply to Happy Days or American Graffiti. They just both sprung from the 50s nostalgia that saturated the boomer-driven zeitgeist post-Vietnam.

Happy Days bears no relationship to American Graffiti, except that both featured Ron Howard. A previously unaired Happy Days pilot that the networks passed one was absorbed into the Love American Style anthology series, which George Lucas saw and inspired him to cast Ron Howard in American Graffiti. The pilot was a hit on LAS, and prompted the production of the regular Happy Days series. They aren't related to one another beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2015 4:20 PM

Fonzie was never a "high school student." He had his own apartment and worked as a mechanic.

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2015 4:22 PM

I love it when they come and yell and groan when it happens

by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2015 4:23 PM

Didn't Sean Cody start doing this for performers like Jamie at one point?

by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2015 4:23 PM

[quote]Henry Winkler couldn't even pass for a thirtysomething anymore when he played high school student Fonzie.

How old was MEGA-COOL-HILARIOUS FONZIE, in fact?

He made a little noise, didn't he? It's coming back to me (the horror of it).

by Anonymousreply 48April 17, 2015 4:27 PM

Love American Style: Love and the Happy Days.

So much better than how the series finished it's run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 17, 2015 4:30 PM

Henry Winkler has a reputation for being one of the nicest people in Hollywood and the only person he supposedly didn't get along with was Tom Hanks.

R48, don't know how old he was supposed to be in the show, but in reality, he was 28/29 when the show started.

by Anonymousreply 50April 17, 2015 4:37 PM

R47, he did, that's why the videos sound the way that they do

by Anonymousreply 51April 17, 2015 4:38 PM

Why hasn't Sean Cody or Corbin Fisher ever taped before a live studio audience?

by Anonymousreply 52April 17, 2015 4:41 PM

[quote] Happy Days was a kind of spin off of American Graffiti wasn't it

There had been a Love, American Style segment in 1972 entitled Happy Days and after the success of American Graffiti in the cinema in 1973, there was a nostalgia movement for the late 50s, early 60s era. ABC decided to make a show out of the Happy Days segment in 1974, so technically, Happy Days was a spinoff of Love, American Style.

However, Happy Days it wouldn't have been spun off without the success and influence of AG in 1973. That's why it was two years until it became a series.

by Anonymousreply 53April 17, 2015 4:41 PM

Is it me or does R23 read like a cut and paste job?

by Anonymousreply 54April 17, 2015 4:43 PM

[quote]don't know how old he was supposed to be in the show, but in reality, he was 28/29 when the show started.

What a joke!

Didn't he used go 'Heeeeey' or something like that?

God, it was for imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 55April 17, 2015 4:45 PM

[italic]Happy Days[/italic] weren't so happy for black folks.

by Anonymousreply 56April 17, 2015 4:47 PM

R54 what are you implying, sugar?

by Anonymousreply 57April 17, 2015 4:55 PM

I believe the biggest ovation I never heard for anyone one person (this excludes the Beatles) was for Liberace when he was a mystery guest on What's My Line?

I think it is lost to history how popular he was in the mid-50s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 17, 2015 5:05 PM

Loved his signature, R58

by Anonymousreply 59April 17, 2015 5:13 PM

[quote]I remember an episode of Family Guy where they ridiculed audience reactions.

More recently, Mrs. Brown's Boys had a scene where Mrs. Brown's feelings were hurt because her advice wasn't wanted.

MRS BROWN: But I'm your mother.

AUDIENCE: Aaaaawww.

MRS. BROWN (turning to face the audience): It's a man in a fuckin' dress!

by Anonymousreply 60April 17, 2015 8:39 PM

[quote]The same strategy ruined Good Times, even as both shows retained viewers.

[italic]Good Times[/italic] was at the bottom of the ratings when it went off the air, but they pulled the plug on it. And it still never got as bad as any of Garry Marshall's shows did at their respective worst.

by Anonymousreply 61April 17, 2015 9:11 PM

Good Times was on in the same time slot as Happy Days. At first, Good Times continued to win its time slot handily. But when Fonzie became such an (inexplicably) popular character, Good Times audience started to erode. Within a couple of years, they switched nights for Good Times, but it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 62April 17, 2015 9:22 PM

What was the deal with Tom Hanks r50? I know he guested on the show toward the end of its run but nothing beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 63April 17, 2015 9:28 PM

[quote]ABC Family's Baby Daddy still employs that when one of the leads is shirtless ala Saved By The Bell. I remember the first time I saw that reaction was when Scott Baio was shirtless on Happy Days.

When John Stamos appeared shirtless on "Full House," the entire audience screamed in horror and panicked. Three people were killed and 54 others were seriously injured in the trampled panic. Of course the episode was never air and the entire thing hushed up.

by Anonymousreply 64July 18, 2019 6:29 AM

Sit on it! Was the Fonz talking about his cock?

by Anonymousreply 65July 18, 2019 6:36 AM

Yes, that John Stamos shirtless episode is among the three infamous "lost" episodes of Full House, including the one where Mary Kate nearly killed Jodie Sweetin by strangling her with a blankie, and the episode where Bob Saget took his dick out in front of the studio audiences. Didn't even try to pretend it was some cold medicine mixed with alcohol snafu. Just flat out said "I'm a funny perv. It's my job."

And that's how he got to host America's number one family show: America's Funniest Home Videos.

Those were the days, am I right kids?

by Anonymousreply 66July 18, 2019 6:45 AM

I went to a taping of a sitcom pilot which was so horrible that no one laughed. In the summer, network television would fill in spots with unsold pilots. The pilot was aired and the laugh track was added, making it seem that the " live" audience loved every minute. They even put in the applause for a guest who walked through the front door. Nothing like that really happened.

by Anonymousreply 67July 18, 2019 10:49 AM

r67

Why don't you just say it was the pilot for Empty Nest?

by Anonymousreply 68July 18, 2019 11:48 AM

because it was a pilot for a show that was so bad it wasn't picked up. Believe it or not, it was much worse than Empty Nest.

by Anonymousreply 69July 18, 2019 12:47 PM

I was 12 or so when Happy Days first ran and I remember thinking it was weird the older Fonz would somehow be close friends with such a clean cut, nice, stable Richie C. Richie and his friends were getting street cred and protection but what was the Fonz getting?

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2019 3:12 AM

r70

Fonze was a loner and he wanted a family.

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2019 3:16 PM

The Fonz craved normalcy in his life, which is why he became so happy with the Cunninghams and adored Mrs. C so much. He had lost his parents and was basically a drifter who only connected with other people for sex and establishing dominance.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2019 3:50 PM

Didn’t Fonz live in a room above the Cunningham’s house? Or am I remembering crazy?

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2019 4:08 PM

Fonzie lived above their garage

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2019 4:13 PM

Over the garage, R73. And often at night he'd crawl into my bedroom window after lights out. So many mornings I could barely walk to school after Fonzie plowed the everliving hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2019 4:13 PM

I felt the same way, Richie.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2019 5:25 PM

I hated it on the Honeymooners (the classic 39) whenever Ralph, Alice or Norton came in the audience would clap, but not Trixie.

When Ronnie Burns played some kind of "hipster dude" on the Honeymooners, the audience hooted and yelled.

by Anonymousreply 77July 20, 2019 1:57 PM

Wouldn't the Fonz be considered street trade? Wonder what his rate will be?

by Anonymousreply 78July 21, 2019 10:07 PM

I hated when people made the "aww " sounds for sad scenes.

by Anonymousreply 79July 21, 2019 10:11 PM

So funny this was bumped because I was watching something the other night and thought the same thing. So are all these silly sitcoms filmed before a live audience?

by Anonymousreply 80July 21, 2019 10:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 21, 2019 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!