Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Q. Lewis

Never married. Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 1:46 PM

Who in the fuck WAS he? Was he on some TV show I'd never seen? This is one of the many things I worried about as a child.

Here's a picture with Charles Pierce and Michael Feinstein. I have this idea that he was Hedda/Louella's walker, although I may have made that up, e.g., senile fantasy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2015 4:43 AM

On the reruns of What's My Line? you can tell that Bennett Cerf detested him. Once, after John Daly announced that time was running short, Lewis launched into an elaborately worded question and Cerf cut him short, brusquely reminding to him to heed the clock.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2015 4:45 AM

[quote]On the reruns of What's My Line? you can tell that Bennett Cerf detested him. Once, after John Daly announced that time was running short, Lewis launched into an elaborately worded question and Cerf cut him short, brusquely reminding to him to heed the clock.

Cerf was just pissed off that someone else was going on and on, asking elaborately worded questions. He did it himself a lot of the time but got impatient and bitchy when any of the others did.

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2015 5:08 AM

True, R3, but Cerf seemed more genuine than the smarmy Lewis. Robert Q. tried a little too hard to replace Steve Allen as the next Bright Young Thing. He did a decent job of passing for a WASP-y egghead. Cerf, his fellow Manhattanite, who was higher born and better bred than Lewis, resented it.

CBS used Robert Q. as a last-minute substitute so often, he joked that when he phoned his mother to watch him on TV, she would ask, "Who's sick?" He also sang in nightclubs and on records, and did a fair amount of acting, including a part in the film musical, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Lewis never married or had children. A heavy smoker, he died of emphysema at 71 in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2015 7:28 AM

People in the industry said "You know what the Q stands for." He was born Robert Goldberg in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2015 3:48 PM

He had an afternoon weekday variety show that featured Jaye P. Morgan, Jan Arden, Earl Wrightson, and a variety of guest singers and comics.

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2015 5:06 PM

he's a gay

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2016 8:47 PM

He's not gay, he's a nerd.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2016 8:38 PM

Those labels aren't mutually exclusive, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2016 9:01 PM

Friend of Judy.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2016 9:10 PM

[quotes]Lewis never married or had children. A heavy smoker, he died of emphysema at 71 in 1991.

Oh please he died in 1991 of AIDS you know it. He was more gay than Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2018 3:29 PM

[quote]He's not gay, he's a nerd.

He's not a gay, he's not a nerd -- he's a-dead.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2018 3:41 PM

He tricked with Johnny Ray, Dave Garroway, and Frankie Laine.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2018 3:41 PM

He made a cameo appearance in "An Affair to Remember".

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2018 7:31 PM

Anyone who really believes he was straight had better get their eyes and ears checked out by doctors, pronto!

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2018 7:36 PM

Dave Garroway was gay?

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2018 7:38 PM

He was in the movie version of HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING (far right)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2018 7:50 PM

Also, R13, John Foster Dulles, Fulton Sheen, and Arthur Godfrey.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote]He tricked with Johnny Ray, Dave Garroway, and Frankie Laine.

Don't forget me!

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2018 12:28 AM

Was Arthur Godfrey gay? I have never heard anything other than he was a complete asshole and fired Julius LaRosa on the air. Seems like THAT is what he is remembered for. Maybe he was just an angry homosexual from the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2018 12:36 AM

Arthur Godfrey had only one hit record, a fat shaming song that wouldn't fly today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2018 4:21 AM

r15

Anytime any woman who was even slightly attractive came on "What's My Line," Lewis would make remarks about a girl he was dating or how he wished he could get a girl that looked like that.

by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2018 7:05 AM

R21, He was famously a mean SOB. "A Face in the Crowd," still a very timely film about celebrity, was based on him, at least in part.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2018 11:07 AM

Another AIDS cover up.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2019 6:32 AM

Bisexual. Next.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2019 6:35 AM

r11

This is pretty much a cert

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 1:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!