Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What part of NYC is The Goodbye Girl set in?

The city looks rough in that film.

and Marsha Mason has no job? The actor boyfriend just supported her and the kid?

by Anonymousreply 110August 31, 2018 2:31 AM

The city was rough in that film it was NYC in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2015 3:05 AM

That's what a shithole the city was in the 1970s. That's realistic.

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2015 3:23 AM

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere recently that the film was shot in or around Morningside Heights.

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2015 3:27 AM

Yeah, Paula supposedly gave up her "career" as a dancer because the actor boyfriend was supporting her and her kid. But it seemed hard to believe that Marsha Mason was ever a dancer.

Near the "happy" ending Paula tells Elliot that if he doesn't come back she'll be ok, because now she's "all grown up." But at the end of the film she's clutching his guitar and standing out in the rain in her nightie, screaming to her troll-like lover "Have a safe trip, sweetheart! I LOVE YOU!" That's the behavior of a "grown-up?" She sounds as needy and clinging as ever.

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2015 3:43 AM

Outdoor locations were shot around the West 70's in Manhattan. Apartment scenes were shot on a set in CA IIRC.

When Elliot takes Lucy for a horse carriage ride down Broadway (IIRC) saw businesses and buildings that are no longer around. Chemical Bank for instance is long gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2015 3:44 AM

Yes, the Upper West Side of Manhattan for the most part was a total hot mess in the 1970's. Crime, filth, drugs, vermin, etc.. you name it.

Being as that may for those that happened to buy or rent back then they are sitting pretty today. Brownstones/townhouses you couldn't give away are selling for millions. Those huge pre-war apartments "family size" apartments are in high demand.

The arrangement Paula McFadden has with her apartment, that is persons coming and going which was common for those in the performing arts wouldn't be tolerated today.

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2015 3:49 AM

I'm sure you all know this but, in keeping with NYC in the 70s, Robert DeNiro was originally cast (and filmed for a week or so) in the Dreyfuss part. He played it like Ibsen and was as funny as a bagel apparently so he was fired, the script reworked a bit and then started over later with Dreyfuss.

Mason was part of the team dumping DeNiro (though it wasn't her decision) and felt bad for most of her career after. Later they "made up", whatever that means. Probably that neither gave a shit about that movie anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2015 3:57 AM

R2 not all areas. Most of the UES was still very nice there. More neighborhoody - but still really nice. Watch Kramer vs. Kramer to get an idea.

But yeah the UWS past CPW was a seedy shithole. You could buy anything then - that includes the UES too. Family friends were buying Park Ave apts for 80-100K in the late 70s. Even the most expensive ones at 740 were going for 200K, and that was considered "record breaking."

by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2015 4:08 AM

R7

Great bit of trivia! Thanks for sharing.

Can't see DeNiro as Elliot. But Dreyfuss is perfect IMHO. Then again have always felt the young RD was rather hot.

While interesting the Goodbye Girl never worked for me on many levels. First the idea of Marsha Mason as a chorus girl. She just seemed too old.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2015 4:08 AM

OP, if you want to see more of the gritty 1970's Upper Westside of NYC check out Harry and Tonto.

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2015 4:11 AM

And Dreyfuss was supposed to be in All that Jazz. Thank God that never happened.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2015 4:11 AM

The DeNiro/Mason script was supposedly very different from what ended up in The Goodbye Girl. (the guy talked about this on TCM. Mike Nichols was directing too. They all worked on it a while and then decided it didn't work. Then Simon heavily rewrote the whole thing and they cast Dreyfuss.

It wasn't like DeNiro just left after a week and Dreyfuss stepped in. It was basically a whole different script and character that Dreyfuss took over.

I think the character Tony who dumps her at the beginning is a nod to DeNiro. He dumps her to go off and make a Bernardo Bertulucchi picture.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2015 4:45 AM

Think it was called "Bogart Slept Here", right? Its original title. Forgot Herbert Ross (whom I worked for) wasn't the original director too. That was his year -- not one but two films up for Best Picture that he directed.

Funny anecdote about the dumping actor being modeled after DeNiro, a negative homage. Apparently he did not leave happily, especially since he'd just won the Oscar. And Mason assumed/knew he blamed her for it all since she was married to the boss (and maybe no picnic to work with either at the time).

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2015 4:51 AM

[quote]That was his year -- not one but two films up for Best Picture that he directed.

It was a big year for Dreyfus, too, who also had "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2015 5:15 AM

R7, that was the whole point. She hadn't danced in years and was now pushing mid-30's and having trouble finding a job dancing because of her age (and aching bones), so she took odd jobs like automobile model/spokeswoman.

I loved Quinn Cummings as Lucy. I wonder what she's up to now?

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2015 6:08 AM

QC is still around, just Google her name. She hasn't gone all "born again" like the kid from All That Jazz though.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2015 6:15 AM

[quote]I loved Quinn Cummings as Lucy. I wonder what she's up to now?

She's a mommy blogger.

(sorry to break that to you)

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2015 6:16 AM

[quote]While interesting the Goodbye Girl never worked for me on many levels. First the idea of Marsha Mason as a chorus girl. She just seemed too old.

That was the whole point. She was too old. She HAD been a dancer, was out of it, and was trying to get back into it when the boyfriend left. She even references how she's too old to her friend at the audition. And, she never scores a part during the movie.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2015 6:35 AM

at the audition she says something like she's the oldest one here..."I recognized one of the other auditioners as a girl who is in my daughter's class at school." or something like that.

What is unbelievable as that she starts redecorating their aparment on the salry he makes in an imprvo comedy troup.

Improv-ers usually make like zero dollars.

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2015 7:11 AM

Thanks guys for setting me straight.

Just thought the whole thing as a plot device was odd, and that anyone who knew about dancers would know better.

At thirty years old a former hausfrau goes back to the steno/typing pool, nursing, teaching or whatever, but not dancing.

Just saw Barbara Rhoades who played "Donna" on Bewitched as uncle Arthur's love interest. Was she the go to "stacked" and statuesque actress of the 1970's or something? She also played Julie in a Night Gallery episode saw this week as well. Her voice is unmistakable.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2015 7:21 AM

Barbara Rhodes was in tons of stuff from that period. I don't think she ever really became famous for one thing but she worked constantly.

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2015 7:56 AM

Was Marsha Mason considered pretty back then?

All I remember were Richard Dreyfuss's comments about her "pug nose," which back then was supposed to be a compliment, but now everyone goes for the aquiline skinny noses even if they are long or slightly turned down.

From millenial eyes and beauty standards she certainly didn't have the look required to be a lead in movies.

But Back then it always seemed looking more "all American" was more important then, say, sexy, exotic, unattainable types. Even if the latter have "less conventional" features, so to speak.

What thinks DL?

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2015 7:58 AM

I also think the whole dancer thing was a little homage/spoof of A Chorus Line. Simon and Mason were both involved with that show's development. Simon wrote some jokes for it at the last minute and Mason is always credited as the one who suggested to Michael Bennett that the show would end better if Cassie got the job.

I think that is part of the joke. Audiences of the time were probably expecting her to just jump back into the line like Cassie did....but no, she's stiff and can barely walk when she leaves.

(plus the guy who plays the choreographer looks a lot like Michael Bennett.)b

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2015 8:04 AM

r22 the 70s were the decade of the non-glamorous movie stars. It's when Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Streisand, Dreyfuss, Mason, Diane Keaton, Sissy Spacek, Jack Nicholson all were at there peak.

In the 70's beautiful people played beautiful people and regular people played regular people. Mason was considered a normal looking woman. Pretty to Richard Dreyfuss and Neil Simon, but probably not pretty to Robert Redford.

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2015 8:09 AM

The apartment building hasn't changed much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2015 8:15 AM

R21

Just looked at BR's IMB page and wow, to say she worked constantly is perhaps an understatement. *LOL*

Most of her work seems to be on television. Perhaps this has something to with being married to Bernie Orenstein.

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2015 8:21 AM

[quote] Barbara Rhodes was in tons of stuff from that period. I don't think she ever really became famous for one thing but she worked constantly.

She was probably more well known for her myriad game show appearances than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2015 8:24 AM

R24 all true, but my general point was that, even though female stars have had to step it up big time in the glamour quotient, in the 70s, the definition of "beauty" was actually far more narrow. For females specifically, it almost never included anyone of a remotely "ethnic" looking type. It was all about looking "corn fed" with the little button noses, etc.

Today there are pressures but they are different kind of pressures. You can be an "unconventional" looking woman but if you pay good money to glam yourself up, then you'll meet the standard. Even if you look more then a little Jewish , Italian, Greek, um, Armenian...

So in a way Hollywood's standard of beauty today is more attainable, as more "types" are accepted and the glamour part can more or less be easily bought.

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2015 8:39 AM

Oh yes r27. That's where I knew her from-- game shows. I was just looking thru her credits and didn't really see much that I've seen but I knew I knew her...but yes, it was the game shows.

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2015 9:01 AM

it was setin hell's kitchen. if you ever go there thsy have signs to it in this resturant still standing

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2015 10:04 AM

[quote] the definition of "beauty" was actually far more narrow

Much narrower, is what you meant to say.

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2015 10:09 AM

[quote]OP, if you want to see more of the gritty 1970's Upper Westside of NYC check out Harry and Tonto.

Not really. It's a road movie and he's out of there pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2015 10:12 AM

Following R25's link & looking around the neighbourhood on google maps...it looks really nice now.

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2015 10:22 AM

I'll take you guys word for it, but just don't see Marsha Mason as "attractive" by even a 1970's standard. OTHO she managed to nab Keith Hernandez so she must have had something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2015 10:28 AM

I saw and enjoyed Goodbye Girl when it was released (I was 15), but I never liked Marsha Mason and thought she was surprisingly unattractive considering she was in a major motion picture. When I found out later in life that she was married to the director, it all made sense.

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2015 12:56 PM

She's meant to be quirky looking. Not someone who gets (& keeps) the boys too easily...hence the title.

The movie worked.

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2015 1:30 PM

Like most Neil Simon stuff, it was like an overlong sitcom pilot and it was filled with sitcom chestnuts of the period like the Dreyfuss character's health kicks. Other than perhaps the Odd Couple, Simon's scripts don't hold up well and most of them were criticized in their time for being sitcom-ish.

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2015 1:38 PM

[quote]Being as that may for those that happened to buy or rent back then they are sitting pretty today. Brownstones/townhouses you couldn't give away are selling for millions. Those huge pre-war apartments "family size" apartments are in high demand.

No, that was never the case. The prices are higher proportionally today, but there was never a time where that area was so bad or that you couldn't give it away.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2015 2:08 PM

In 1977, IIRC, I could have bought a townhouse on W. 75th Street for $139,000.

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2015 2:15 PM

R38

Well obviously someone "giving" away Manhattan real estate would find takers, but you know what I meant.

Through the 1960's and until probably middle or late 1970's (things then as today vary block by block over there), the UWS from Riverside Drive to CPW was to various extents a hellhole.

Where there nice streets or blocks? Of course, but as noted things were never consistent.

Since am always accused of Googling information, decided to go for it this time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2015 2:50 PM

R38, IDunno knows everything. Please accept this.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2015 2:54 PM

Marsha was more the cute type than the gorgeous type. Think Alice Faye.

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2015 2:58 PM

Why would people have wanted to live on CPW if it was so horrible all around them. That's what I'd like to know.

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2015 3:03 PM

R37 is right and if you want proof, try to get through the film of "Barefoot in the Park". It is painful but was considered gold at the time by many. Fonda looks so weird, quipping bad sitcom lines with her proper boarding school voice.

"Goodbye Girl" is probably the best of the batch. Mason does some great things in "Cinderella Liberty" (awful title, granted) and it's cool to see James Caan play rather vulnerable too.

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2015 4:50 PM

I also liked Mason in "Only When I Laugh" and "Chapter Two," though I will admit the last one has pretty much faded from memory since it's been years since I've seen it.

"The Goodbye Girl" will always be my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2015 4:53 PM

That's one of the jokes on "Mad Men" -- Peggy, on her salary, is able to buy an entire building on the Upper West Side, which people consider a dangerous frontier... and it's sirens all night. And Roseann Quinn (the real-life person who inspired "Looking for Mr. Goodbar") was able to live there on a schoolteacher's paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2015 5:08 PM

Barbara Rhoades had no ass in the scene where she's in a leotard. Marsha Mason actually had quite nice legs and a butt so, yes, I could see the dancer thing. What I can't see is a woman with a child giving a career for someone she isn't married to and especially a flaky actor. Too risky.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2015 5:26 PM

Much of CPW itself was always pretty nice. It was many of the side streets that were crappy and dangerous but extremely affordable. Also even right across from CPW was not someplace that was safe to walk at night. The park itself was 90% dangerous.

That said I'd rather NYC go back to those days when all kinds of people could live in it, not just the very rich. I include Brooklyn, a lot of Queens and most of Staten Island in that, not that.

There were always ways around the danger, ways to be careful. There is no way around a city handed over to the very rich.

by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2015 5:44 PM

I'm in my 30s and I know a few people who were around back in the 70s and they've all told me what a shitbox many parts of the UWS were in those days. Hookers and drug dealers apparently used to stroll up and down Riverside Drive and conducted their business in Riverside Park! What a different world. For somebody my age, it's almost hard to imagine because we've only known the UWS as a wealthy area. You can't even think of living there today unless you have major money.

In the recent Looking For Mr. Goodbar thread, posters mentioned that Roseann Quinn lived in a DOORMAN BUILDING on W. 73rd on a public schoolteacher's salary! That is just unbelievable today.

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2015 5:57 PM

The Goodbye Girl was my favorite movie as a teenager. I loved it and still do. I was probably 14 when it was released. Marsha Mason as a big star back then. She got 3 or 4 Oscar nominations in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2015 6:48 PM

Simon gets the screenplay credit on "The Heartbreak Kid," which is actually a pretty good movie.

But I find most of his stuff unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2015 6:53 PM

stars hollow is where the gimore girl was from

by Anonymousreply 52March 15, 2015 7:14 PM

[quote]Simon gets the screenplay credit on "The Heartbreak Kid," which is actually a pretty good movie.

Pretty good? Better than that. I agree that's the one that's lasted.

Still some great lines in many of his films-but hard work to watch.

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2015 9:10 PM

Richard Dreyfus was hoovering up coke left and right during the making of this film, and it shows onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2015 9:13 PM

Always liked Pauline Kael's line (about "Goodbye Girl", no less, I'm pretty sure): "I hate having to bash Neil Simon so much but he's just so damn prolific."

Agree with R45, though. "Only When I Laugh" was one of the better ones. All those damn written-sounding quips though. Hard for any actor to pull off (why Dreyfuss won the Oscar, I think; he made them his own somehow, felt almost improv in a very scripted film).

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2015 9:16 PM

Only reason to watch Barefoot in the Park is to gaze at Robert Redford. Other than that yes, it is a snooze fest.

by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2015 9:19 PM

[quote] "Only When I Laugh" was one of the better ones.

I'm yet to see what anyone sees in it.

by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2015 9:21 PM

Marsha Mason, in her heyday, was simply one of the most appealing and attractive film personalities, comparable to young Diane Keaton and Jane Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2015 9:26 PM

The great Joan Hackett for one. (That may be all that elevates it, actually).

Speaking of mean streets of NYC, the best moment in "Goodbye Girl" for Mason and all involved is when Marsha is out front while Dreyfuss is at a counter inside a store, the way she looks down at the man kneeling before her, and then her tug of war as he steals her purse, her groceries flying. Followed by that sad moment of her trying to stuff the dry spaghetti back in its box as she cries.

by Anonymousreply 59March 15, 2015 9:26 PM

P.S. A far chubbier Mason is still pretty wonderful playing Heaton's mom on "The Middle", perfect casting. I wonder if she still has the cactus farm in New Mexico or whatever it was she was raising. (Her autobio is a good book too and she is nicely openly insecure).

by Anonymousreply 60March 15, 2015 9:29 PM

What happened to the UWS. Someone explain the process of going from extremely spotty to solidly wealthy? What happened over the decades?

I guess the same could be asked for most of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 61March 15, 2015 9:32 PM

"I'll take you guys word for it, but just don't see Marsha Mason as "attractive" by even a 1970's standard"

She played "everywoman" roles and could be funny, that was enough for the public to like her even though she wasn't particularly attractive.

And movie stars didn't have to be particularly attractive in the seventies, back then people like Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Elliot Gould, Jack Nicholson, Woody Allen and of course Richard Dreyfuss were genuine box-office draws.

by Anonymousreply 62March 15, 2015 9:38 PM

R43

Everyone from gangsters to film stars have lived on CPW. You paid for the location and views mostly.

Today of course Central Park like CPW is cleaner and safer.

by Anonymousreply 63March 15, 2015 9:40 PM

Most of the female stars of the 70s were not really beautiful women. Faye Dunaway is the only one I can think of offhand who was genuinely gorgeous. She was breathtaking in Chinatownn.

by Anonymousreply 64March 15, 2015 9:42 PM

Marsha Mason was cute but not gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 65March 15, 2015 9:44 PM

This was back in the day when anyone could to move to NYC. Not just Asian and Arab parents paying for their spawn, sending them to NYU and contributing NOTHING to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 66March 15, 2015 9:44 PM

When my family bought an apt on Park/39th for $40k in '69 there were hookers on the corner. We didn't go to CPW bc it was dangerous. The maintenance on that coop started at $300/mo and later skyrocketed to over $2kmonthly for the 3/2 on the 2nd floor. It was huge. It ended up being a great investment in the end. Someone mentioned that scene about MM getting mugged on the way home from the deli. I lived in fear of that daily walking home from school and never would carry anything that didn't fit in my backpack. I started smoking at 12 so I could burn people if they tried to mug me.

by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2015 9:53 PM

Interest rates for loans were also like 25% back then.

by Anonymousreply 68March 15, 2015 9:54 PM

R61:

In a word, money. Dirty, stinking, beautiful money.

As then mayor Rudy Giuliani and subsequent administrations have turned NYC from a dirty and dangerous place (as perceived), to a "world class city" white and or wealth flight has stopped and even reversed.

Instead of moving to the country or suburbs persons and or families are coming/remaining in Manhattan.

The UWS has a large supply of brownstones and large apartments that are perfect for families. Rents and sale prices continue to rise pushing those who cannot afford to move into Brooklyn (such as Park Slope).

You also have something of a building boom on the UWS. New buildings have gone up from CPW to Riverside drive, and more are coming.

by Anonymousreply 69March 15, 2015 9:57 PM

You're right, r44, Mason is awfully good in Cinderella Liberty. She should have won the Oscar for that role.

by Anonymousreply 70March 15, 2015 9:59 PM

R62

Young Dustin Hoffman was hotness on a stick far as one is concerned. Have sat through Marathon Man and the Graduate for just that reason.

by Anonymousreply 71March 15, 2015 10:01 PM

That easily could've been Mason's Oscar especially since it was that strange year they gave it to Glenda Jackson for a second time -- which nobody was expecting. I mean, if they couldn't give it to Streisand for that much more remembered performance, then Mason would've been a good runner-uo (though most thought it was down to Streisand and Woodward for her movie with the lousy fluffy title).

by Anonymousreply 72March 15, 2015 10:06 PM

Apparently there were at least two serial killers working the UWS during the 1970's.

Charlie Chop Off was one (he prayed upon young boys), and this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 15, 2015 10:29 PM

This was a funny scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 15, 2015 10:32 PM

I like it when Paula and her daughter are watching Richard III's opening night and Dreyfus is on stage flouncing and lisping and the little girls says "he sounds like the guy at the beauty parlor". I didn't get it when I was a youngster.

by Anonymousreply 75March 15, 2015 10:38 PM

[quote]Only reason to watch Barefoot in the Park is to gaze at Robert Redford. Other than that yes, it is a snooze fest.

no. Mildred Natwick is wonderfully funny in that as Fonda's mother.

by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2015 10:44 PM

There's another point to be made about female prettiness and beauty in the 60s and 70s era.

In general, plastic surgery was most often limited to nose jobs, and mostly only for those with an unattractive or large nose. And a large majority of girls/women never had that procedure. Fillers, cheek or chin implants, liposuction, Botox etc were not done. And until Twiggy hit the runway, the average teen/early twenties female weighed only about 10 pounds more than the models in the iconic Seventeen magazine (marketed exclusively to their demographic.)

Sophia Loren, Bardot, Monroe etc were seen as rarified, not something the average woman could or would attain. Cute, wholesome, or fresh-faced pretty were the norm. Suzanne Pleshette is a great example - hot, very pretty, smoky voiced, but not impossibly beautiful. Young women could emulate her look and style, because she was still a normal looking pretty woman. The psychology of female attractiveness - what women found attractive, compelling, but not too threatening - was very different and very important to media marketing success.

And that was a point in time when women were daring to think of themselves as other than just their appearance. Bizarre as it may sound, that was the point where leaving your home without wearing a girdle or panty girdle was a big deal. The actresses of that era like Mason or Diane Keaton had a vibe of 'everywoman' dealing with the same BS, and not feeling the need to wear makeup or a girdle to feel attractive or happy, even if they weren't considered really pretty.

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2015 11:49 PM

I hate the awful stagey looking set in Barefoot in the Park.

If they'd used real locations it would have helped.

It was made just before films became more realistic, settings-wise.

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2015 11:50 PM

I think it was Julie Christie who was the first female star who was allowed to have messy hair and a not too coiffed appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 15, 2015 11:55 PM

NYC was a wonderful, vital place in the 1970's. Filthy and dangerous yes but it was still where everyone wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 80March 15, 2015 11:58 PM

[quote]NYC was a wonderful, vital place in the 1970's. Filthy and dangerous yes but it was still where everyone wanted to be.

Ain't that the truth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 16, 2015 12:04 AM

R80

Suppose that is true. Even George and Louise Jefferson moved on up to the East Side rather than the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 82March 16, 2015 12:04 AM

[quote]NYC was a wonderful, vital place in the 1970's. Filthy and dangerous yes but it was still where everyone wanted to be.

True...but it didn't always end well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 16, 2015 12:14 AM

What a thrill if must've been to be walking down the street and all of a sudden there's Jackie, Garbo or Katharine Hepburn.

Come to think of it, Garbo and Hepburn lived practically around the corner from one another. I wonder if they ever ran into each other on the street.

by Anonymousreply 84March 16, 2015 12:21 AM

If NYC was so run down and dangerous, yet everyone still wanted to be there, what was the propping it up in terms of money. Tourists still came? There had to be at least a few good areas for the rich, right? Or did the rich just deal with the filth and danger like everyone else? (did they have a choice)?

I guess it was the time of truly centralized cities, people poured in to work at big offices of major corporations and all the businesses that service those corporations and workers. But, many of the people pouring in during the day leave after work, and the exciting, available-to-all, dirty, exhilarating, dangerous NYC takes center stage.

by Anonymousreply 85March 16, 2015 12:28 AM

Even though I've been here for over 15 years now, I feel like I missed the New York you're talking about. Now it's all so much about money and status and if you don't make 6 figures a year, then you're priced out of living anywhere below 96th Street. And saying that doesn't mean a person is upset because they can't live on CPW (which is the first thing people assume if they hear you say that), it just means if you work hard every day and make a decent middle-class salary, you should be able to afford a nice 1-bedroom apartment uptown or even downtown if that's what you want. It shouldn't be so outrageously priced just to get a place on East 4th Street or West 79th if that's what makes you happy.

by Anonymousreply 86March 16, 2015 12:39 AM

Yes, R85, tourists still came. My family dragged me and my siblings there in the mid-seventies, and we went to the statue of liberty and Wall Street and the Metropolitan museum of art and other favorite tourist locations. Not Times Square, which was full of porno theaters at the time.

We stayed at a "good" part of Manhattan, and I thought it was the most horrible place in the world. Ugly, gray, seedy, sunless, obviously crime-ridden, with female hookers outside of our hotel. And of course my parents had a huge fight and everyone was mad, it was the most excruciating trip of my life.

I haven't been back. I suppose I ought to go one of these years, but now it's so fucking expensive.

by Anonymousreply 87March 16, 2015 12:52 AM

[quote]Even though I've been here for over 15 years now, I feel like I missed the New York you're talking about.

Well, you did.

by Anonymousreply 88March 16, 2015 12:53 AM

R85

New York City had no money in the 1970's, we were bankrupt remember? *LOL*

Jokes aside many and perhaps even I over exaggerate how bad things were in NYC.

Yes there was crime, the transit system was falling apart and so forth but people still lived here. More so tourists and others still came to New York. As the song about "another 100 people just got off of the train" makes clear some came to work, and some came to play.

When you watch films shot on the streets of NYC during this period you see a vibrant place. Yes, some parts like the South Bronx looked like a war zone, so you jut stayed away.

by Anonymousreply 89March 16, 2015 1:14 AM

"Was Marsha Mason considered pretty back then?"

I seriously doubt it. She WASN'T "pretty." Barbara Rhodes was pretty. And sexy. She was a pretty, sexy, stacked redhead. Marsha Mason was PLAIN. But that wasn't such a big deal in the seventies. In TGG her plainness wasn't an issue, since her leading man wasn't anything much to look at either. Paula and Elliot were two very annoying, not very attractive people; no wonder they ended up together.

And I too was puzzled at how they could afford to totally redo the apartment on what Elliot was making as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 90March 16, 2015 1:30 AM

Did you ever visit those dangerous parts of the south Bronx, IDunno?

by Anonymousreply 91March 16, 2015 1:43 AM

Why is it too bad r91?

by Anonymousreply 92March 16, 2015 1:45 AM

You could buy an entire building in SOHO for $30,000 back then.

Or less.

by Anonymousreply 93March 16, 2015 1:47 AM

He's just being snarky to IDunno for reasons I have yet to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 94March 16, 2015 1:47 AM

R91 There really isn't much else interesting here in "God's Gay & Lesbian Waiting Room" to post about is there?

How many times can one comment upon: Aaron Schock, Madonna, Mike Woods or other gay news readers/weathermen, Dionne Warwick, NPH and husband, Andy Cohen,

And the ever popular, sex, sex, and more sex (or lack thereof is more like).

by Anonymousreply 95March 16, 2015 1:49 AM

[quote]Or did the rich just deal with the filth and danger like everyone else?

Yes, they did.

You'd see the elegant apartment buildings on the Upper East Side, doorman in his uniform and in front, the dirty, potholed streets, broken exhausts lurking in the gutters. Beat up taxis.

It was really kind of cool in a way...and strange.

I used to think, why don't all the rich in this town contribute to make it a better place?

by Anonymousreply 96March 16, 2015 1:52 AM

Marsha was cute/ pretty.

by Anonymousreply 97March 16, 2015 1:53 AM

[quote]I used to think, why don't all the rich in this town contribute to make it a better place?

They did. They paid taxes.

It was the city government that failed everyone.

by Anonymousreply 98March 16, 2015 1:55 AM

Maybe it was like in Being There. That is in Washington DC but remember how he steps out of the gated estate and into a hell whole of a world?

Here is the clip:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 16, 2015 1:59 AM

R95

Oh great, now this loon is posting under my name.

You do realize that "trolldar" can show the difference between your posts and mine? Or has the booze and or lack of meds affected your mind?

by Anonymousreply 100March 16, 2015 4:23 AM

R16 and R17. Mommy blogger? Yikes! But then I saw that she's more of a humorous/sarcastic Mommy blogger, poking fun at her attempts at home schooling her kid.

Having said that..I grew up on Manhattan's UPW in the 70's and 80's, and the grittiness was kind of glamorous. They could have at least left parts of Times Square alone. Total Disneyland now. Then you have Brooklyn, which was the cultural epicenter of the boroughs, now populated with pure white Midwestern transplants all trying to be hipsters on Daddy's dime.

by Anonymousreply 101March 16, 2015 8:04 AM

Who would eat that spaghetti after it fell on the street?

by Anonymousreply 102August 30, 2018 5:13 AM

^Low income people who have just been mugged and haven't a dime to replace it. How old are you to be asking such stupid questions?

by Anonymousreply 103August 30, 2018 7:18 AM

You would eat spaghetti with germs on it?

!!!?Really?!!!

by Anonymousreply 104August 30, 2018 2:15 PM

[quote]I saw and enjoyed Goodbye Girl when it was released (I was 15), but I never liked Marsha Mason and thought she was surprisingly unattractive considering she was in a major motion picture. When I found out later in life that she was married to the director, it all made sense.

She was not, nor ever married to the director.

[quote] In 1977, IIRC, I could have bought a townhouse on W. 75th Street for $139,000.

$578,033.56 in 2018

by Anonymousreply 105August 30, 2018 2:27 PM

Richard Dreyfuss won the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role. A rare comedy win.

Fellow nominees:

Woody Allen... Annie Hall

Richard Burton....Equus

Marcello Mastroianni... A Special Day

John Travolta... Saturday Night Fever

Marsha Mason was nominated but lost to Diane Keaton....Annie Hall (but she also had Looking For Mr. Goodbar that year.)

Jane Fonda... Julia

Shirley MacLaine... The Turning Point

Anne Bancroft... The Turning Point

by Anonymousreply 106August 30, 2018 2:34 PM

The unfunny part.

by Anonymousreply 107August 31, 2018 12:41 AM

R106, like Keaton, it may have also helped Dreyfus that he had "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in theaters that same year as well.

by Anonymousreply 108August 31, 2018 2:17 AM

Very shitholish...I can smell the urine and vomit.

by Anonymousreply 109August 31, 2018 2:22 AM

In Saturday Night Fever, the apartment Stephanie Mangano moves into toward the end of the film is also in the West 70s.

by Anonymousreply 110August 31, 2018 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!