Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What with people who use the word "anymore" as an improper substitute for "today" or "these days"?

As in, "I have noticed that quite a few things taste different anymore."

What the hell is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2020 11:24 PM

I have noticed that over the past couple of years and it always makes me do a double take and I think, "Did I just hear that?"

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2015 12:10 PM

Don't get me started!! šŸ˜’

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2015 12:23 PM

Never heard such an expression before.

Must be flyover.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2015 12:36 PM

It's a regional thing-- I heard it a lot when visiting my ex's family in Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2015 12:40 PM

I don't understand the OP. It's a common usage here in PA.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2015 12:51 PM

I know one person who does this. She's from New Jersey and now lives in Georgia. I figured it was her personal issue. I had no idea there are regions of people who do this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2015 12:56 PM

What R4 and R5 said. Unless you're handing in a report to be graded or published in a magazine, people can express themselves however they want to.

[quote]What the hell is wrong with you?

Better question - who the hell are you to call people out for the way they talk?

Do you also think that Rudy Giuliani was correct to criticize Obama for not being Christian enough and not loving America enough to suit his taste?

Probably so.. probably so.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2015 1:02 PM

Well, I'm British so I think the big problem is that anymore is even a word. It's two words hereabouts.

"I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more books."

But, I suppose, if you are American, then there are two senses, as illustrated above.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2015 1:05 PM

So it is flyover. I never heard it, either. Must be like people I've read about on DL who say "sammich" and "skrimp." It's just "not a thing" where I live.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2015 1:15 PM

Fuck you anymore, OP! FUCK YOU ANYMORE!

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2015 1:32 PM

What with people who write "What with people"?

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2015 1:42 PM

If you talk uneducated, you are. Wise up.

If you look like a slob you are. Wise up.

If Amy Grant had wised up, her follow up to "Love Will Find a Way," would've been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2015 8:01 PM

Same with the word "whenever", as in "Whenever I was fifteen years old I was in High School."

I hear it mostly used in the south, but occasionally "gasp" in New England.

I feel your pain OP.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2015 8:08 PM

The only person I ever knew who used "anymore" that way was from Ohio. And he was an English professor who should've known better.

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2015 9:25 PM

Evidently I have touched a nerve in R7. Why are you so bothered by what bothers me?

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2015 1:54 AM

I've written about my distaste for this usage on DL. I am perplexed as to why people use it when it clearly doesn't make any sense. The first person I heard say this was from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I don't know whether it was the relative isolation of the location that led to this strange usage and its persistence in this person's speech. This person is educated but still persists in using "anymore" in this manner. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2015 2:32 AM

If native English speakers (not just Americans) can fuck up the language in some way, they will, OP. Many even use "as well" when they mean "either."

"I don't know him as well"

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2015 2:38 AM

This is a whole, new, and frightening world I never knew existed! Damn you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2015 2:40 AM

I don't think I've ever heard it used that way.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2015 2:43 AM

FANK YOU, OP FOR BRINGING THIS UP!! People who use 'anymore' like that really piss me off. It just sounds so wrong. Just like when people say 'You wannna come with?' I'm thinking, 'No, I want you to finish that sentence.' Come with? WTF.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2015 3:22 AM

Of course it's flyover. That's why I use it. The word expresses lament over the comparison being made better than "these days."

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2015 8:52 AM

I guess "lamentation" would be a better word.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2015 8:54 AM

"Whenever I was fifteen years old I was in High School."

What is that even supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2015 12:24 PM

I've only seen it used on DL. Never heard anyone say it irl.

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2015 1:36 PM

So far, there's Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

Have the rest of you never heard of "regionalisms"?

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2015 3:55 PM

[quote]"Whenever I was fifteen years old I was in High School."

[quote]What is that even supposed to mean?

Perhaps they are unsure of [italic]when[/italic] they were fifteen? Poor sod.

I've never heard it used either. But regionalisms are what they are (like that?) not much you can do about them.

by Anonymousreply 26February 24, 2015 4:04 PM

It's definitely a regionalism, like when Western Pennsylvanians say things like "it needs painted."

by Anonymousreply 27February 24, 2015 4:39 PM

Gee, OP. People are starving, people are being slaughtered in the name of religion, Repugs own this country and gays are still scorned all over the world and some people say 'anymore' inappropriately. The latter being the worst offense, of course. Surely you have better ways to spend your time. If not, get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 28February 24, 2015 4:51 PM

My first experience with it was a receptionist who came back from the store and said, "Anymore, I buy green tea for down here and Earl Gray for upstairs." I have never forgotten that sentence.

She became an ex-receptionist when, out of the blue, she started signing business correspondence with "love and respect always." She was from Portland.

by Anonymousreply 29February 24, 2015 4:59 PM

[quote]an improper substitute for "today" or "these days"?

I would usually say "nowadays" in that context.

by Anonymousreply 30February 24, 2015 5:15 PM

R28, what part of pointless bitchery do you not understand?

by Anonymousreply 31February 24, 2015 5:20 PM

Very common where I live.

Google "regionalism," OP. If you traveled more and paid attention generally, small things like this won't have you overreacting so ridiculously.

by Anonymousreply 32February 24, 2015 5:24 PM

From the site alt-usage-english.org:

Opinion concerning "anymore" vs "any more" divides roughly into three camps:

1)There is no such word as "anymore". It is simply a misspelling. 2) "Anymore" and "any more" are two ways of spelling the same thing, and the two have the same meaning. 3) There is a useful difference in meaning between the two.

About the first two camps, little more needs to be said. Either statement stands on its own and needs no elaboration.

The difference in meaning considered useful by the third camp is that "anymore" is an adverb meaning "nowadays" or "any longer", while "any more" can be either adverb plus adjective, as in "I don't want any more pie", or adjective plus noun, as in "I don't want any more."

The difference between the two meanings is illustrated in the sentence: "I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more books."

The distinction of "any more" and "anymore" seems to be recognized by many, but not all, US users and by dictionaries published in the US. At least one British dictionary (NSOED/93) and some British users recognize "anymore" as an alternative spelling of "any more", but do not recognize a difference in meaning.

The adverb "anymore" is standard American English when it is used in a negative sense, as in "I don't do that anymore." It is a regional or dialectal usage, mostly restricted to spoken English, when it is used in a positive sense, meaning "nowadays", as in "Anymore I do that" or "I do that anymore."

by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2015 5:39 PM

It seems like the distinction between "everyday" (adjective) and "every day" (noun) has been lost. The former seems to have taken over.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2015 5:53 PM

I've used 'anymore' my entire life and never realized it wasn't common until someone here pointed it out. My family is from Ohio, Illinois, Missouri and spent a lot of time in Michigan so the regionalism fits.

To my ear it sounds perfectly fine. Much better than 'nowadays' which sounds like southern slang to me.

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2015 6:30 PM

Ugh. Never heard this before, but I don't like it. Makes sense that it's a flyover thing. I just pray my ears will never be assaulted with it in person.

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2015 6:33 PM

I'm confused.

This sounds odd:

[quote]I have noticed that quite a few things taste different anymore.

But, are you also objecting to this?

[quote]I have noticed that this brand of yogurt isn't so bland anymore.

The second one seems normal, to me, though I wouldn't say it this way (I'd say "as bland as it used to be") - but I've certainly heard that & don't find it weird... I've never heard anyone say something like the first example.

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2015 6:37 PM

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2015 7:33 PM

OP, Do you realize languages evolve over time? Do you think English is exactly the same as it was 200 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 39February 24, 2015 7:35 PM

I have a co-worker (originally from upstate New York) who says this all the time. Drives me nuts!

by Anonymousreply 40February 24, 2015 7:43 PM

This is a most necessary bump. This has invaded DL recently.

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2017 5:21 PM

I have never heard this

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2017 5:31 PM

If r41 weren't a douchebag, he'd've provided a link.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2017 5:32 PM

No, people have said all three consistently. I recall Jack Benny using it as a punchline

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2017 5:32 PM

Thank God I've never heard any of these. And my family is from Texas and husband's family is strewn across the mountain states, so I know "Flyovia." Must not have made it across the Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2017 5:48 PM

I'm from Boston and have always used "anymore" as an adverb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2017 5:58 PM

Never heard it. I'm in CA.

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2017 6:00 PM

I just don't know anymore.

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2017 6:23 PM

This plague must be contained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2017 6:27 PM

Iā€™ve never heard this, thank God. With what sort of horrible people are you associating?

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2017 6:29 PM

Fuck you any further OP! FUCK YOU ANYFURTHER!!

Fixed it for you R10

This is something up with which I will not put!

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2017 6:30 PM

R51, do you realize youā€™re responding to a post almost three years old?

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2017 11:25 PM

Anymore! Anymore!

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2017 12:30 AM

[quote] Must be like people I've read about on DL who say "sammich" and "skrimp.

And "drug" as the past tense for "to drag." Thank god I've never heard that one IRL.

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2017 1:01 AM

"ANYMORE!"

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2017 1:02 AM

I use any more and anymore, but not in the way OP has it. I would say, "I used to be friends with Cheryl, but not anymore. She smells."

by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2017 1:05 AM

Iā€™m a 30 + year resident of Chicago, but did not grow up here. I had a Chicago native friend in the early 90ā€™s who was the first person I ever heard use ā€œanymoreā€ in that way. I remember it well because after hearing it from her a few times, I pointed it out and she didnā€™t even realize she was using the word that way. It wasnā€™t the last time I heard it around here and i donā€™t even know how common the usage is because Iā€™m so used to hearing it.

Much worse, though, Is when when my mother started using it. Sheā€™s lived in Arizona for 40 years. In the 10 years I Iived there, I never heard this, so it seems to be spreading from the midwest. Itā€™s worth noting that my mom is an unwitting sponge with things like this. Years ago at a point when she was working with a lot of Mexican-Americans, her pronunciation of certain words started taking on a Spanglish accent. For example, ā€œnothingā€ became ā€œKNOW-theeng.ā€

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2017 2:11 AM

I don't rail against these things. I just use them to judge people. It's a handy time-saver.

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2017 3:34 AM

You are wise, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2017 3:36 AM

Does anyone even come up with good posts anymore? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2017 3:49 AM

Not since 2015, R16.

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2017 4:03 AM

Not since 2015, R60.

by Anonymousreply 62November 21, 2017 4:03 AM

Why did people stop posting on this thread anymore?

by Anonymousreply 63November 26, 2017 8:05 PM

R63 you are not using it incorrectly the right way. The correct wrong way to use it would be something like, "Anymore, this thread is totally dead."

by Anonymousreply 64November 27, 2017 4:33 PM

[quote] you are not using it incorrectly the right way.

Tehe.

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2017 4:44 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 66May 1, 2018 3:33 AM

Hearts to R55.

by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2018 3:45 AM

Yeah, the first time I heard this, I was like WTF. It was something like "People are so weird anymore." How does that even make sense to you, bitch? I'm from the Midwest and I hear it occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2018 3:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2018 3:48 AM

Positive anymore.

by Anonymousreply 70July 11, 2019 2:13 AM

Anymore I don't post on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2020 1:46 AM

I'm going to school.

I'm going to hospital.

I'm going to library.

I'm going to church.

I'm going to mall.

English is confusing. You have to learn it by ear.

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2020 2:27 AM

There is no authority in English, you are free to say anything you want.

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2020 3:35 AM

One is free to say what one wants, as this usage indicates, but that doesn't make what one says appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2020 3:53 AM

r74 So I guess you are the one to decide? Wow how DL of you. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 75February 24, 2020 6:10 AM

He is a cunt anymore.

by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2020 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!