Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WTF? $50,000 Hyundais and Kias? When did This Happen?

I haven't owned a car in a decade, so I'm home today goofing on the web and who knew that the Korean car makers, Hyundai and Kia, make ultra-luxury cars?

The Equus and the K900 are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone here own one? Would anyone be willing to shell out that amount of cash for such a car? I don't see these succeeding.

by Anonymousreply 570March 15, 2020 1:37 AM

A link would be helpful if you would like input..

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2015 2:14 PM

as would a rink

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2015 2:21 PM

Those are their top models. Wait a year and you can get one for half the price. The Koreans are catching up to the Japanese quickly.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2015 2:23 PM

I live in Korea and tutor a CEO. The carpark is filled with Beemers, Audis and Porsches.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2015 2:25 PM

OP here. Kelley Blue Book Customer Reviews...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2015 2:36 PM

So it's the new Lexus LS then? When Toyota first introduced the Lexus LS400 it was about half the price of it's competitors, now the Lexus LS is about the same price.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2015 2:45 PM

Yes R6, but Toyota created a different brand to sell the LSs. Hyundai sits the Equus and Genesis right next to their more proletarian Sonatas and Elantras. Kia does the same thing - the K900 is sold right next to the Soul and Rio.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2015 4:17 PM

A Kia is the K-Fed of cars and the Hyundai is the Lance Bass of cars.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2015 7:22 PM

Did someone say Equus?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2015 7:26 PM

I have to wonder about them, too. It used to be that the Sonata (and Optima) were as high end as they got, but then they started adding new models like the Azera, then the Genesis, and finally the Equus. I would only have one hesitation about buying one-- if there are very few models sold, and if they eventually stop making them, it will be harder (and more expensive) to get parts and service.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2015 1:17 AM

R8 -- you made me guffaw! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2015 1:25 AM

The Genesis is a great looking car.

by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2015 1:25 AM

I'm tempted to test drive one.

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2015 11:04 PM

50,000 smackers for that tiny little gookmobile? Forget it!

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2015 11:10 PM

The K900 is the better looking of the two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2015 1:12 AM

Isn't there a Genesis coupe, too?

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2015 2:10 AM

No, don't think I've seen one of those.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2015 1:43 AM

The K900 is the Eqquus equivalent. Kia doesn't (yet) have a Genesis equivalent, though one is coming, and was previewed with the GT concept (linked below). Anyway Genesis > K900...and less expensive, too.

R16, yes there is a Genesis coupe, but it doesn't really match the sedan and never has. It was (is) a visceral, hard-edged sports car. Hyundai will fix this by making the next Coupe larger and more of a grand tourer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2015 1:51 AM

I have a top-of-the-line Sonata (2009) and would definitely consider a Genesis (but probably not an Equus) for my next car.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2015 2:23 AM

Cathy's Mom) Why are you even looking at a car that costs $20,000?

Cathy) Because that's what cars cost now. Face it. Houses are $200,000, cars are $20,000, panyhouse is $10 and coffee is $5 a cup.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2015 2:18 PM

I want the Koreans to design and market a sports car called the Prowler ... if only to hear them try to pronounce it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2015 2:21 PM

Toyota created Lexus because they did not believe People would pay that much money for a Toyota - same goes for Acura (honda) and Infinit (Nissan).

Kia and Hyundai went after the Mercedes market directly. The Genisis is a lot of car for the money. Same goes for the higher end cars. Like Maybach level luxury. But you are right, their problem is "who would pay 60K for a Kia?"

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2015 2:47 PM

[quote]Maybach level luxury

You've got to be kidding me.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2015 2:49 PM

R22 yeah, the Koreans should've replicated the Japanese by creating a new brand. I don't know why people fall for that but they do. To me a Lexus is just a really upmarket Toyota and there is nothing wrong with that. I just find them boring. Hopefully the Koreans will be more creative and adventurous.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2015 2:57 PM

R23: More like Mayberry level luxury.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2015 3:05 PM

Mercedes is using the new S-Class to create a "Maybach" version - nicer interior, more toys, looks exactly the same outside apart from the tacky Maybach lettering on the trunk. Terrible move in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2015 3:10 PM

[quote]Cathy) Because that's what cars cost now. Face it. Houses are $200,000, cars are $20,000, panyhouse is $10 and coffee is $5 a cup

Does anyone still wear pantyhose?

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2015 5:45 PM

[quote]I want the Koreans to design and market a sports car called the Prowler

Didn't there use to be a Plymouth Prowler?

by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2015 5:46 PM

I almost bought a Hyundai Genesis. It was beautiful and had a great price. Everything was perfect about it. I'm ashamed to say I just couldn't get over the Hyundai name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2015 5:52 PM

Asian cars are shit. Germany all the way.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2015 5:56 PM

Carz of ze fazerland, eh R30?

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2015 5:59 PM

R29 don't be silly. Get a 1 year old one with low mileage, that way you'll save on the depreciation and get a good car at a good price.

Or you could get an entry level Mercedes with plastic seats.

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2015 6:00 PM

R29 What year was it? What did you like about it?

by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2015 6:01 PM

How reliable are the higher priced Korean models? My Lexus is 10 years old and has never given me a problem. I'd buy a Korean luxury car if it was as reliable. I might buy one that's a year or two old for a discount, though.

I test drove a $58k BMW when I was looking to buy 10 years ago and the interior was the most depressing car I've ever been inside. It was gray and dull, the dash was badly lit and the seats felt like high chairs (it was an X5). I didnt care for the drive, which is supposed to be what BMW is all about, how "fun" it is to drive. It was as fun as a hearse. It had costly options that were standard on other manufacturers cars, like Bluetooth and heated seats.

For the money, I prefer a nice comfy interior, heated and cooling seats, premium stereo, Bluetooth, a jillion airbags, rear camera, remote start, auto lift gate, adaptive cruise control, brake assist, blind spot warning and long term reliability rather than a spare, dark BMW cave.

So yeah, if reliability is above average, I might buy a Korean luxury car.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2015 6:20 PM

They'd have to have a luxury crossover for me to consider it. So far, they haven't got one.

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2015 6:29 PM

What I liked most about the Genesis was everything. Especially the interior. You have to understand what an upgrade this would be for me though. I've been saving to pay cash for a new car. I've been driving the Saturn my parents gave me for graduation. A sixteen year-old car. So driving something brand new with all the technology, when my Saturn still has a cassette player, was pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2015 6:34 PM

I don't mean this as a slam against the Genesis because I don't know anything about the car, but any new car is going to blow you away interior-wise. The types of bells and whistles available in today's cars as standard equipment will seem like a spaceship compared to a 16 year old Saturn. Hell, my sister's used Accord has more than my 10 year old luxury car has.

Look around a bit and see what's out there. The Genesis may well be just the car you're looking for, but do some comparison shopping.

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2015 7:36 PM

I just can't get over how limited car interior color choices are these days - beige/tan, grey/silver or black. Hyundai is no exception.

by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2015 7:38 PM

In my honest opinion, if you have $50k to blow on a luxury car, get a $80k luxury car that has taken the initial depreciation hit. A one or two year old S-class, A8, 7-series, Lexus LS is not going to disappoint. Shop around and drive them all, take at least a 30 minute drive in town and on the highway. Don't listen to anything the salesperson is telling you, decide for yourself what you want.

by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2015 7:44 PM

Seems like the Genesis top price is $38k.

by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2015 7:56 PM

R40 Uh, no.

The lower end Genesis STARTS at $38K. The higher end one STARTS at $51K.

by Anonymousreply 41January 31, 2015 8:13 PM

And the Equus starts at $61.5K.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2015 8:14 PM

But my Saturn still runs like the fucking day I got it. This is exactly what my interior on my Saturn looks like. I love the Genesis. I'm also looking at a Honda Odyssey, Toyota Camry, and a GMC Acadia. But the Genesis really blew me away. I pressed the gas pedal like I would on my Saturn and I thought we were going to liftoff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2015 8:36 PM

I have to also say the thing that got me to go test drive a Genesis was how beautiful the car was. I actually saw one parked on the road. I had no idea what make of car it was. It was so nice looking I stopped to look at it and find out what kind of car it was. That's the only time I've ever done that with a car.

by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2015 8:39 PM

For those prices, I'd go Lexus. For $60k, I'd go Lexus hybrid.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2015 8:50 PM

If the Saturn still runs and looks like the day you got it.....

why are you spending money on new car?

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2015 9:37 PM

I'm tired of driving an old car worrying about it finally breaking down. I want some of that new technology. I go on lots of roadtrips with friends and family. Though the room in the Saturn has always been slightly adequate I'm 6' 3" and 215lbs and want something bigger. After scrimping by for a while paying off all my debts, saving for a house, and purposefully saving for a nice new car, I simply just fucking want one.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2015 9:58 PM

Hyundai and Kia load these so-called luxury cars with geegaws and gadgets. But in order to keep the price low, something's got to give. In this case, the suspensions. The Equus, K900, Genesis, Azera and Cadenza are some of the worst handling 'premium' cars in the business. Which is a shame because they, especially the K900, have stunning supercar looks. But they handle like corks in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2015 11:59 PM

i just tooka test drivein a hyunday tht was 59k but itwasloaded. jealous bitches. ???

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2015 12:11 AM

Saturns are the urban lesbians' ride of choice. Subarus are for our cuntry systren.

by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2015 1:44 AM

Mom is leasing a Kia Optima and loving it. I know a few people who have Hyundais and love them FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 51February 20, 2015 3:38 AM

I'm a Mazda person. Love them and have had them for years. Next purchase may be an MX-5 (tiny) or an SUV.

by Anonymousreply 52February 20, 2015 3:41 AM

A true country lesbian will only ride an ox-drawn cart

by Anonymousreply 53February 20, 2015 4:01 AM

The K900 is a sales flop according to this article:

"The only thing Kia didn’t take into account was that maybe, just maybe, people who purchase a car like the S-Class aren’t really that price sensitive. After all, the S-Class isn’t exactly a budget-conscious vehicle, yet it doesn’t struggle to find sales. Just 1,050 car shoppers so far have purchased the Kia K900, which is a number that for all intents and purposes indicates the car so far is a big sales flop."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2015 1:58 AM

i just rode a kai that was superloaded for 97k. beet that bitches

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2015 8:12 AM

[quote]I want the Koreans to design and market a sports car called the Prowler ... if only to hear them try to pronounce it.

You should see the trouble they have with my name!

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2015 8:18 AM

Let a former Hyundai owner chime in (finally).

In 2002 I purchased the Hyundai XG350, their first attempt at an upscale sedan. The price at the time was more than competitive, it had an upscale fit and finish (leather, upgraded stereo, power seats, great heater and AC, and AAA Magazine gave it a high recommendation.

The smartest thing I did was not to buy the XG350, but to buy the EXTENDED 10 year/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty (which I negotiated down to $900). This extended the protection from the standard 5 and 7 years (at that time) to a full ten. Also included was a free rental car whenever the dealer needed to keep the car for the day - even if it was for an oil change.

I figured at the time that if I was making a mistake, my ass would be covered. And it was. While I loved the car, my partner hated it. And over the next 12 years. the car was often in the shop - which is why my partner hated it. I was fine about it for the first 10 years since I didn't have to pay a dime other than normal maintenance, but after the warranty was up, the repairs and related costs didn't stop - only now I had to pay for them.

So two pieces of advice: if you want to get a Hyundai, make sure you also get the factory extended warranty (I don't know if it's still available or the price). Second, find a great Hyundai dealer that you can trust and who'll take care of you. Remember to give them Holiday gifts, remember the names of their kids, and take them to lunch occasionally. Because this relationship (AND the ext. warranty) will be the difference between being able to actually enjoy the car while not minding the dealer visits, or kicking yourself for buying it.

FWIW, my next car was a Prius...

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2015 10:21 AM

I pick up my new K900 next Friday. Love the car and I cannot wait. VIP package costs 6000 extra but it's worth it. I'm not worried about reliability. My BMW has spent a lot of time in the shop. The kia can't be any worse.

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2015 2:17 PM

R18 - The Kia Cadenza is their equivalent of the Genesis. They don't have an equivalent to the Azera.

I don't know why Hyundai didn't spinoff a luxury brand when they developed the Genesis and Equus. They could've pooled their resources with Kia (since they're sister companies) and made a brand with them to sell the Genesis, Equus, and K900. In spite of the improvements in Korean cars, they still have a branding image problem with some people and most are not going to those type of prices for a Korean car.

The new 2015 Sonata hasn't sold as much as they thought. It's too conservative and bumped up in price and most people don't see the point in paying Accord/Camry prices for a Sonata when they can just get an Accord or a Camry, which are perceived to be "better" than a Sonata/Optima. The price incentive isn't there anymore. The new 2016 Optima does look good.

by Anonymousreply 59April 10, 2015 3:03 PM

R59, the Cadenza is based on The Azera; they share the same platform and are similarly priced.

by Anonymousreply 60April 10, 2015 3:39 PM

Did anyone here ever go ahead and buy a Genesis? I've been looking at them... I want something different but not crazy. It looks nice. I even like the hood badge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 31, 2019 2:34 PM

The new Genesis cars are great, even better to wait 3 years for an off lease once that has depreciated more than 50%. I like the Infiniti Q70 too, very fast car.

by Anonymousreply 62December 31, 2019 2:36 PM

How much a loaf of brown bread cost in USA

by Anonymousreply 63December 31, 2019 2:37 PM

Consumer Reports like them a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 31, 2019 2:39 PM

I guess they're pretty good for now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2019 2:40 PM

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 66December 31, 2019 2:41 PM

" I like the Infiniti Q70 too, very fast car."

Spoken like a simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 67December 31, 2019 2:42 PM

The Genesis, which has been spun out into its own brand is a seriously kick ass roadster. Excellent performance and handling, it consistently scores I. The top rungs with BMW at about half the price.

by Anonymousreply 68December 31, 2019 2:43 PM

LOL, they have L's and R's. It's the Japanese who don't have L's and the Chinese who don't have R's. "Shilla" is a word, for example, and it's pronounced as it's written. "Roma" of course is what they (and most others) call Rome, and it's pronounced as it's written.

by Anonymousreply 69December 31, 2019 2:43 PM

Hyundais are good cars.

by Anonymousreply 70December 31, 2019 2:44 PM

So genesis ended up being Hyundai's Lexus?

I noticed that they were first the Hyundai Genesis and then the Genesis XXXX.

I bought a two year old azera. Some of the features were misses, like the rear window sun shade, but overall it was a good deal for the money.

by Anonymousreply 71December 31, 2019 2:45 PM

I think if you're older and looking for a luxury car, it's safe to stick with the old-school brands, like Mercedes. Unless you're in California.

by Anonymousreply 72December 31, 2019 2:46 PM

R71, exactly. It's now operationally a wholly separate entity.

by Anonymousreply 73December 31, 2019 2:47 PM

My ex husband sold Hyundai cars in the 90s; made 100,000 grand a year doing so. The Hyundai Excel cost $3,400, brand new. I can't take anything with Hyundai on it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 74December 31, 2019 2:50 PM

I see them in Southern CA, quite a few, but over here Teslas are more popular among the newer luxury brands.

by Anonymousreply 75December 31, 2019 2:53 PM

The Equus is a great value for what you get. If you find a late model (up to 2016 I believe before they created the Genisis brand) with CPO you are getting a hell of a deal. They were created to be CEO cruisers. Most of the cool functions are in the back. You could probably get one and make good money as an UBER XL driver for LYFT (whatever thier high end one is).

Hyundai created the Genisis line - much like Acura, Lexus and Infinitit- it is now known as the G90.

Kia also makes the Stinger GT - which was designed by the former BMW head of design who left BMW for KIA> That car is getting rave reviews across the board and will probably be COTY on more than a few lists.

The days of a 3500 Kia are over. The Koreans are making some serious vehicles, for some serious cash.

by Anonymousreply 76December 31, 2019 2:58 PM

I love the Stinger...it’s hot looking.

by Anonymousreply 77December 31, 2019 3:06 PM

From the Comic Cathy circa 1990

Mom) $20,000 for a car? Why are you even looking at a $20,000 cars?

Cathy) Because that's what cars cost now. Face reality, cars are $20,000, coffee is $2 and panyhose is $10

by Anonymousreply 78December 31, 2019 3:13 PM

r77 yes I am seriously considering trading in my Jaguar for that. 1600 for brakes is not fun.

by Anonymousreply 79December 31, 2019 3:24 PM

I understand investing in a higher model Hyundai- they've proven their mettle over the years- but a fuck'in Kia? Every other person I know who was stupid enough to buy one ends up losing their shirt metaphorically either over repair bills or just ultimately walking away and junking them and eating the payments. I'm not saying you couldn't get a decent one, but the majority are lemons.

by Anonymousreply 80December 31, 2019 3:28 PM

I take Lyft everyday and for some reason many are Hyundai Ionic electric cars. Does Lyft offer some kind of subsidy for Ionics and other electric cars?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 31, 2019 3:46 PM

I noticed that KIA has rolled out a number of newer models recently including the stinger. Which is a great looking car. They are a little later to the game, but my guess is that they have ramped up and are offering competitive Korean alternatives to the hyundais. I live near the US plants and we were flooded with Optimas when they came out with the new body style a few years ago. I test drove a few and was not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 82December 31, 2019 3:46 PM

And at least they’re still making sedans, unlike the US carmakers.

by Anonymousreply 83December 31, 2019 4:55 PM

r80 Hyundai is a major owner of Kia.

by Anonymousreply 84December 31, 2019 6:40 PM

Better than wasting $50k plus on a stupid pickup truck. Unless it’s for your job, it’s not necessary. Hate those things.

by Anonymousreply 85December 31, 2019 6:52 PM

[quote]I am seriously considering trading in my Jaguar for that. 1600 for brakes is not fun.

Seems like Brit and American cars still have a long way to go to catch up with Asian brands. I paid $1600 for brakes on my loaded 4-year-old Cadillac CTS with 80,000 miles A few months later I took it back and they told me the suspension system was shot and would cost $5500, but parts were on back order. I sold the Caddy for only $13,000 and bought a 10-year-old Lexus RX350 for $15,000. The Toyota/Lexus V6 can rack up a million miles and they hold their value because of it. I learned my lesson. From now on it's Lexus and Toyota for me. My sister has a Hyundai Sonata and it's nice but feels cheap to me.

by Anonymousreply 86December 31, 2019 7:07 PM

Never trust Korean shit as they will go down the shitter right after the warranty expires.

by Anonymousreply 87December 31, 2019 7:19 PM

R87 is Japanese lol.

by Anonymousreply 88December 31, 2019 7:24 PM

I know I sound like Cathys Mom, but I am shocked at how much cars cost now. I last bought a car in 2003 -$35k for a Volvo XC. I just started looking for a simple used wagon or midsize SUV - nothing under $30k!!!

Finding used cars with less than 30,000 miles is a challenge. And the prices don’t seem that much less than new cars. I’m shocked how expensive used cars are.

Any suggestions for affordable midsize SUVS?

by Anonymousreply 89December 31, 2019 8:13 PM

2020 Genesis SUV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 1, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote]paid $1600 for brakes on my loaded 4-year-old Cadillac CTS with 80,000 miles

American auto manufacturers have just never been able to wrap their heads around the concept that people will accept high maintenance costs if the car is a well engineered blast to drive, OR it needs to be low maintenance and reliable vehicle capable of exceeding 100,000 miles without a major expense.

Instead, they continue to go for the middle ground of uninspired cars with low reliability and high maintenance costs. If it weren't for US and state government fleets and rental cars, I doubt any of the would be in business. Maybe Ford would still be able to sell enough F-150s to keep one factory open.

by Anonymousreply 91January 1, 2020 3:46 AM

Scheissdreck. The perfect word to describe the Asian garbage flogged off on the American public. I won't even ride in, much less own, this imported garbage. They fall apart in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 92January 1, 2020 3:59 AM

i remember when Hyundai first came out. My mom bought a brand new Excel. It was the crappiest car ever

by Anonymousreply 93January 1, 2020 4:08 AM

In the market for a Kia Sportage at the moment

by Anonymousreply 94January 1, 2020 4:24 AM

What American cars are popular these days?

by Anonymousreply 95January 1, 2020 4:55 AM

I like the Lincoln Continental, as well as the evergreen Chrysler 300 Dodge Charger, and Dodge Challenger.

by Anonymousreply 96January 1, 2020 1:22 PM

There are no popular American cars, really. It’s all crossovers, SUVs and trucks.

by Anonymousreply 97January 1, 2020 1:28 PM

Most US makers are dropping cars all together except for some sporty models like Mustangs and Camaros.

by Anonymousreply 98January 1, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote]as well as the evergreen Chrysler 300 Dodge Charger, and Dodge Challenger.

Car don't get any trashier than those three.

by Anonymousreply 99January 1, 2020 3:22 PM

R53 Marry me.

by Anonymousreply 100January 1, 2020 3:25 PM

You all realize the Hyundai and Kia are the same company now right? Hyundai is the lead company of course but they're trying to become Korea's GM. And I'm sorry I won't buy one. I'll stick with my Chevrolet which was in fact manufacture in South Korea. They've caught up to the quality of Japanese brands these days.

by Anonymousreply 101January 1, 2020 3:34 PM

Your “Chevy” is in fact a rebadged Daewoo.

by Anonymousreply 102January 1, 2020 3:36 PM

R101. They are one mega monopoly that. O trolls everything from cargo ships to industrial construction to consumer goods. They have different brands in the US because of import restrictions. They can sell so many Samsung branded products under the trade agreement They sell the identical product as Goldstar, doubling their exports.

Japanese and Chinese companies do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 103January 1, 2020 3:40 PM

Controls not o trolls.

by Anonymousreply 104January 1, 2020 3:41 PM

None.

by Anonymousreply 105January 1, 2020 5:17 PM

Any suggestions for cheaper cars? Honda’s seem cheap and reliable - always good ratings.

by Anonymousreply 106January 1, 2020 5:28 PM

Honda’s are good, better than Toyota in my opinion. Subaru is having issues at the moment but my experience with them has been nothing but good. Mercedes pre-90s was the benchmark for quality but now it’s expensive rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 107January 1, 2020 5:42 PM

We drive Lincolns-we're old, white, and have money. Love to honk the horn as I drive by the homeless encampments under the freeway underpasses. Gives them something to aspire to.

by Anonymousreply 108January 1, 2020 5:54 PM

Subaru seems a little overpriced. Honda seems to be the only car that has a de net price/quality ratio. Also repair costs are not crazy. Only good thing Bantu American cars - generally cheaper repairs.

by Anonymousreply 109January 1, 2020 6:02 PM

R109 they are “overpriced” because they are all AWD, even the cheapest one. In the North East that makes a difference. Plus I have a soft spot for boxer engines.

by Anonymousreply 110January 1, 2020 6:22 PM

I recently ditched a 3 year old Mazda (my 3rd) to lease a Kia Forte which is one of their lowest priced models and I love it. I live in an urban environment and only need the car for commuting and occasional errands or visits to the outlying counties. The Kia has a CVT transmission which I thought I would hate but it's not bad. It also has as much or more cargo space as the Mazda CX-3. The major difference is the Mazda interior was more luxe and the Kia definitely has cheaper plastics and finishes. However, Kia offers Apple/Android Auto which is superior to the technology Mazda currently features. I did drive the car on a 700 mile trip and had no issues.

by Anonymousreply 111January 1, 2020 6:29 PM

You have to appreciate that the strategic purpose of these high-end models is not to sell in volume - they will undoubtedly lose substantial amounts of money for their makers - but rather to reposition the brands.

Both Hyundai and Kia became bywords for 'cheap and functional' but both have now considerably upped their ambitions, brought in renowned designers and greatly improved their products in a long-term effort to take market share from European manufacturers.

So, in that context, the purpose of the luxury models is to encourage potential buyers of their cheaper models to perceive the brands as being more up-market, in general. Altering brand perception is always going to be a long-term project, but, here in the UK, at least, Kia, in particular, have totally reinvented themselves thanks to the launch of the Mk2 Sportage in 2010 which was an instant hit and seen as a genuinely desirable design object.

by Anonymousreply 112January 1, 2020 6:56 PM

Nissan and Mitsubishi have fallen from the ranks of A-list Japanese carmakers in terms of reliability and workmanship. The Koreans have replaced them. Nissan’s repair records have really dropped since being taken over by Renault. Renault has always made shit cars.

by Anonymousreply 113January 1, 2020 7:02 PM

Hyundai = Chevrolet

Kia = Buick

Genesis = Cadillac

by Anonymousreply 114January 1, 2020 7:03 PM

Buick isn’t in the US anymore.

by Anonymousreply 115January 1, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote]I recently ditched a 3 year old Mazda

I recently saw a guy in a restaurant parking lot with a Mazda that couldn’t have been more than 5 years old, and he had the hood up and was on his phone, so obviously something was fucked up. It made me wonder about their quality.

by Anonymousreply 116January 1, 2020 8:16 PM

My brother had a Mazda. Constantly in the shop. Hates them.

by Anonymousreply 117January 1, 2020 8:22 PM

And Kia is taking Buick’s place.

by Anonymousreply 118January 2, 2020 12:28 AM

Those big Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Chryslers...have been replaced by Kia and especially the Toyota Avalon. The Avalon is what a Buick should be today.

It's just so dumb that the US manufactures have given up on big sedans. Buick is even canceling the Avenir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 2, 2020 1:21 AM

The Avalon is the Kathy Griffin of cars...great body, but that GRILLE!

by Anonymousreply 120January 2, 2020 1:31 AM

Yes, that grille!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 2, 2020 2:03 AM

My 2007 Buick has over 300,000 kms and I'm ready for a new car but everything I look at is tiny and uncomfortable. Not to mention loaded with so many electronics that future repair bills will cost a small fortune. And the seats feel like plastic molded office chairs with little hip room for my fat ass. I'm pretty sure if I had the money I'd buy a Bentley sedan just to have some decent sized comfortable seats.

by Anonymousreply 122January 2, 2020 2:01 PM

My cousin is an auto mechanic and he pretty much agrres with this YouTuber, himself a mechanic with years of experience. He blasts Nissan, Chevrolet, GM, Kia, and Hyundai from the view of a mechanic. He’s mostly a longevity and free from repairs kind of guy when it comes to cars, so he loves Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura brands. He also likes cars that retain good resale value, so he hates luxury sports cars in general. He has videos that savages car makers and models, if you can get over his hyperkinetic way of talking he’s quite informative. The comments on his videos are also informative, from fellow mechanics and seasoned drivers. I almost bought a Subaru Forrester last year that is now under mass recall, and it appears that Subaru hasn’t been forthcoming in the whole mess. Glad I didn’t buy it after watching Scotty’s videos last year, and that was before recall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 2, 2020 2:23 PM

I always thought Kias were a bootleg brand but after having a few as rentals, I REALLY like the new Optimas. Nice cars with great features.

Of course, I'm a sedan man. I'll even be a hatchback queen. I was finally turning around on Ford (loved the newer Fusions) and then they discontinued those.

by Anonymousreply 124January 2, 2020 2:39 PM

I had a Jeep as a rental recently. What a piece of crap! I’d rather drive a smart car.

by Anonymousreply 125January 2, 2020 4:16 PM

I pity you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 2, 2020 4:48 PM

I have a 2017 Genesis G80 AWD and am pretty pleased with it. So far no major issues with it other than a panorama sunroof that sometimes squeaks/rattles (apparently this is common to all vehicles with this type of roof). It’s extremely comfortable on road trips and the adaptive cruise, etc work very well interior quality is top notch and the seats are easily the best of any car I’ve owned. On drawback is the fuel economy which is below average.... probably because it weighs as much as a Range Rover!

by Anonymousreply 127January 2, 2020 6:47 PM

Every car seems to have sunroofs now. I hate them because no matter who makes them, they will always leak.

by Anonymousreply 128January 2, 2020 6:50 PM

I live in thE Hamptons & nobody drives these cars.

Aside from Lamborghinis & other high end sports cars, the biggest car here is the tricked -outtest of tricked out Range Rovers because it shows you can not only afford the car but can also afford the frequent repairs.

Teslas are meh. No ones impressed. And if it’s one thing the NYC elitist want, its to impress each other. Old school rich people used to buy acres of property, beautifully landscape it with specimen trees, small parks. garaged cars, high hedges and arborvitae obscuring views, a long, long driveway so the masses couldn’t view their domains.

The vastly more numerous 1% out here hide nothing. They build their Farrell McMansions on major roadways and make sure you can see how big their houses are. They have no use for trees, bushes, gardens (except $100,000 landscaper-installed 100 sq fr herb garden so Juanita will use fresh ingredients for the children’s pasta sauce). They only want to pay these illegals for mowing the sod & skimming the swimming pool.

by Anonymousreply 129January 2, 2020 7:17 PM

Love Scotty R123. He's totally hyper but he convinced me to buy a Lexus. So far so good.

by Anonymousreply 130January 2, 2020 11:43 PM

R129, where did your post come from? No one was talking about that snobbery stuff here.

by Anonymousreply 131January 3, 2020 12:08 AM

R130, Scotty thanks you for his commission. Sucker.

by Anonymousreply 132January 3, 2020 12:24 AM

Well smell r129... although you would be wrong. There are Bentley and Rolls Royce SUVs today make Land Rover/Range Rover look cheap.

by Anonymousreply 133January 3, 2020 12:39 AM

[quote]. [R129], where did your post come from? No one was talking about that snobbery stuff here.

Yeah really! Just because OP & others in this thread don't think Kia & Hyundai’s should be selling $50k cars —that has nothing to do with SNOBBERY!

So you can just take your CAR SNOBBERY out of this thread where we scoff at paying 50,000 smackers for “tiny little gookmobiles,” and where we call “the Asian garbage cars flogged off on the American public” scheissdreck & we say “I won't even ride in, much less own, this imported garbage.” And where we-down-to-earth dataloungers warn people in our posts “Hyundai and Kia load these so-called luxury cars with geegaws and gadgets”

And where we admit we who bought a Hyundai Genesis but couldn’t get over the Hyundai name.

by Anonymousreply 134January 3, 2020 1:15 AM

Who brought up the Hamptons totally randomly?

by Anonymousreply 135January 3, 2020 2:16 AM

Chrysler Imperial South Hamptons? They were REAL cars.

by Anonymousreply 136January 3, 2020 2:18 AM

Buick is in the US at least for 2020. They will make the Lacrosse until China stops buying them.

Hyundai is not = Chevy and Kia = buick

Genisis is really just Hyundai. It was the name of the car, they switched it to the brand. The G70 is just a Kia Stinger with more stuff on it.

I like Scotty but he is so biased for Toyotas and Hondas. Most Mechanics will agree the GM 3800 V6 is probably the most reliable engine you can get in a car (2008-2016 ish) which is why used buick park avenues go for a high resale. They were loaded for thier time, have a really nice ride quality and that v6 engine is pretty much bulletproof.

by Anonymousreply 137January 3, 2020 4:51 PM

[quote] Most Mechanics will agree the GM 3800 V6 is probably the most reliable engine you can get in a car

Over the decades I've owned three Buicks with the 3800 engines and they were all great cars. Buick no longer have them and I worry if it's time to look for something other than Buick.

by Anonymousreply 138January 3, 2020 4:56 PM

GM uses the3.6L pretty much everywhere now - it replaced the 3800 - it is just as reliable. My brother has a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer with that v6 and it has 300K miles on it. I would stay away from the trend of 1.5 turbos. The 2.0 eco Turbo is pretty time tested and a good engine but I am leary of any 4 cyl.

by Anonymousreply 139January 3, 2020 7:36 PM

Now the Buick Regal is being discontinued...

by Anonymousreply 140January 3, 2020 11:44 PM

r160 that is because it was an Opal - the new ones have been for the last 10 ish years. They just rebadged the German Opals as Buick Regals. GM no longer owns Opal so , no Regal. I have been looking at a 2019 Regal GS - it is pretty damn nice and I can get a slightly used one for under 30K.

by Anonymousreply 141January 3, 2020 11:49 PM

Wild ads from Genesis. WTF... Cool but weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 4, 2020 3:05 AM

Very contemporary ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 4, 2020 3:06 AM

Handsome car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 4, 2020 3:07 AM

It is amazing that these Korean cars have been able to evolve so quickly. Meanwhile the US manufacturers had to kill Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth. The only Chrysler sedan left has been around unchanged for years. With a few exceptions, for the past few years, Buicks have been nothing but rebadged Opels. Meanwhile the Koreans keep coming out with new beautifully styled cars.

by Anonymousreply 145January 4, 2020 3:28 AM

[quote]We drive Lincolns-we're old, white, and have money. Love to honk the horn as I drive by the homeless encampments under the freeway underpasses. Gives them something to aspire to.

When did RUTH TAYLOR won the lottery?

by Anonymousreply 146January 4, 2020 3:31 AM

Super premium models from low end brands tend not to succeed. Lexus Infiniti and Acura Were all launched within a few years of each other around 1990 and are still viable companies. But when a car brand like Volkswagen releases an $85000 car, it tends to plummet in value. These expensive cars do serve a purpose though, they have incredibly high profit margins and add cache to the brand if mildly successful.

In terms of the customer base, these cars can rival a $75,000 BMW for $20,000 less so for buyers who just want the crazy engine power on a new car it’s a good deal. It’s also for customers who want the luxury but don’t want the Fancy brand-name. Some of that stuff makes people uncomfortable and it’s definitely more low-key. If you are a business owner who works in a bad neighborhood or doesn’t want to show off a super fancy brand (Because then the employees assume you have money, and want raises,) these are good cars.

While most are not successful, if one hits, the upside is massive and there is also a platform to try out newer technologies and equipment that can later be used on the lower end cars

by Anonymousreply 147January 4, 2020 4:25 AM

[quote]Super premium models from low end brands tend not to succeed. Lexus Infiniti and Acura Were all launched within a few years of each other around 1990 and are still viable companies.

Viable? Lexus is the fourth best selling luxury brand in the world after BMW, Audi and Mercedes. In the US it's the third best selling luxury brand outselling Cadillac and Lincoln.

[quote]But when a car brand like Volkswagen releases an $85000 car, it tends to plummet in value.

VW's effort into the high-end with the Phaeton was half-hearted. Anyway, it owns Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti....so it's solidly in the luxury market.

I think the Genesis will do very well...the reviews from the Automotive press rate the car highly.

by Anonymousreply 148January 4, 2020 5:08 AM

Ahhh, THAT must be the reason why more Hyundai drivers than usual seem increasingly to be acting like pricks on the roadways lately!

by Anonymousreply 149January 4, 2020 5:22 AM

The name "Genesis" is pretty darn good. I wonder how many millions they paid some consultants for that.

by Anonymousreply 150January 4, 2020 5:24 AM

R142 That advertising is a smart way to establish the brand.

by Anonymousreply 151January 4, 2020 5:28 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on which non-luxury brand has the best V-6 engine? I have a Camry V-6 and love the acceleration (important for freeway merging) and the smooth power at high speed. It seems like they're getting harder to find, but I hate the 4 cyl engines I've had in rentals. I feel like Fred Flintstone, trying to accelerate into 70 mph traffic with just the power of my feet!

by Anonymousreply 152January 4, 2020 6:42 AM

^^^Sorry, meant to say "non-luxury sedan".

by Anonymousreply 153January 4, 2020 6:43 AM

I was thinking about that too. I saw this, and among the non-luxury brands, I actually really liked the look of the Kia models (the new Stinger especially), but a few are a bit pricey for me.

Good luck on the search, and please post what you end up choosing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 4, 2020 6:46 AM

Stinger. Looks really great, but starts at $33,000. That's a bit much for me, possibly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 4, 2020 6:48 AM

Stinger, R152. Unless you're looking for a truck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 4, 2020 6:51 AM

Sigh. It appears Hyundai also abolished the 2-door Elantra with the 2.0L engine that, in a past life, used to be the "Tiburon" before they decided to reposition the Genesis as their sports car and relegate the Tib to a mere Elantra-variant.

I personally owned two Tiburons from 1998 until 2009. I was pissed as hell when I discovered that they eliminated the button from the 2002 Tiburon that, on the 1998 Tib, gave an extra 20hp of power (at the cost of 1-2mpg of fuel economy)... until I discovered that the mode was still there, and they literally just eliminated the switch to activate it. One Saturday afternoon with a toggle switch from Radio Shack, a few hours of disassembly, and some wire-splices and soldering, and I had my favorite feature back. It was my first official car-hack. :-D

For what it's worth, Hyundai's autopilot (ok, "LKAS") is actually the best, least-annoying, and most-capable after Tesla's. Officially, it forces you to keep both hands on the steering wheel... but it's fairly easy to defeat... permanently, with a switch, or temporarily, with a pair of water bottles hanging from a bungee cord.

by Anonymousreply 157January 4, 2020 7:02 AM

I have a Kia Sportage. It is overall a very well built car. It’s interior and finish is certainly a step up from previous cars I’ve driven, such as Ford, Mazda, Holden where I had bits a pieces falling off within the first year.

It is a bit of a petrol guzzler. Perhaps diesel may have been a better choice, but I’m happy with what I have.

by Anonymousreply 158January 4, 2020 7:11 AM

That's an ugly vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 159January 4, 2020 8:41 AM

Your inability to afford whatever vehicle you're talking about doesn't make it ugly. The Pontiac Aztek was ugly, but virtually no other car in the last 20 years has been ugly.

by Anonymousreply 160January 4, 2020 8:46 AM

"Your inability to afford..."

Oh honey, you don't know what I can afford.

by Anonymousreply 161January 4, 2020 3:15 PM

I’m shocked how much cars cost. How do working class people afford one? Plus maintenance? Even a used car with 100,000 miles is almost $10,000! That’s a lot of money - when most of the US population has less than $500 in the bank for emergencies.

by Anonymousreply 162January 4, 2020 4:24 PM

R152, 4-cyl engines are more than adequate for acceleration in everyday driving. Are you competing in the Indy 500? The money you save on gas with a 4-cyl over a V-6 is worth the minuscule loss of acceleration. Not to mention that 4-cyl cars are less expensive to service and repair.

by Anonymousreply 163January 4, 2020 4:35 PM

Just for the hell of it: how much do I save a year not owning a car or needing to drive?

by Anonymousreply 164January 4, 2020 4:38 PM

R162 I agree. Apparently the average cost people are paying for new cars is now over $30k. The median household earnings are about twice as much. A car never used to be half of a household income.

by Anonymousreply 165January 4, 2020 4:38 PM

R164 a lot. It’s not just the lease/loan, it’s the gas, maintenance, insurance. A basic $15k car is probably around $400 to $500 a month all in.

by Anonymousreply 166January 4, 2020 4:40 PM

R166 Thanks for responding.

by Anonymousreply 167January 4, 2020 4:54 PM

R161, your having felt the need to respond, and in fact responding, says it all lol

by Anonymousreply 168January 4, 2020 5:01 PM

The only concession that Hyundai has made to the crossover tsunami is not selling their Azera in the states. They’re not just focusing on crossovers and SUVs either but doubling down on their Kia and Genesis sedans. As are the Japanese and most of the Europeans. They dominate the shrinking sedan market because they build better cars than US automakers. Save for Nissan, whose cars suck.

by Anonymousreply 169January 4, 2020 5:38 PM

r157 uhh Hyundai's LKAS is ping pong. Driven a few and it ping pongs between the lanes. Nowhere near autopilot or supercruise (which is amazing but you can only get it in a 70K Cadillac).

by Anonymousreply 170January 4, 2020 6:08 PM

What is the average income in the US 2019? $46,800

so these cars are now more than 2/3 of the average household income.

by Anonymousreply 171January 4, 2020 6:10 PM

Both are very good, R170.

That said, who in 2020 buys a Cadillac, apart from old people in Boca Raton?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 4, 2020 6:12 PM

Complain about the expense of cities all you want - I spend less than $1,200/ year on transportation. I am shocked how expensive cars have gotten. Even used ones seem like the are out of reach for working class people. What do those people do in places without public transport? Even LA still kinda requires a car - on top of the insanely escalating rents. At least in SF, public transport is feasible.

by Anonymousreply 173January 4, 2020 6:18 PM

r172 - oh I dunno - some people other than boca residents -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 4, 2020 6:19 PM

+1, R173. I take Lyft everywhere and it's better than owning a car (LA), but I'd buy a Genesis if I needed one and had the money. Ideally an electric version if they made one.

by Anonymousreply 175January 4, 2020 6:24 PM

I really like the all new Kia Telluride. It's packed with a great deal of tech as standard at 33k and the top of the line is 47k with everthing. Really nice interior, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 4, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote]oh I dunno - some people other than boca residents

Actually, nobody is buying it.

by Anonymousreply 177January 4, 2020 7:36 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Lincoln MKC? I'm looking at a 2017 with low mileage for about 18K. It gets good reviews and I have kind of soft spot for Lincolns. I know I should do something common sense like and get a toyota or a honda or even a Kia, but this MKC looks pretty sleek

by Anonymousreply 178January 4, 2020 9:39 PM

A rough estimate of what it costs to own a car is around $10K/yr. So figure whether you could get by for less money by using alternative transportation options (Uber, public transit) and renting a car occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 179January 4, 2020 10:57 PM

[quote]A rough estimate of what it costs to own a car is around $10K/yr.

Nonsense. Unless of course your car payments are $500 a month and/or if you have a gas guzzler.

by Anonymousreply 180January 5, 2020 3:02 AM

R171, median household income in the United States in 2018 was $61,937.

by Anonymousreply 181January 5, 2020 4:41 AM

R163, I’m not competing for anything but a space in fast-moving traffic. My daily commute is on a busy expressway with short merge lanes. Sometimes, you have to accelerate from a near stop to highway speed fast to fit into traffic.

I’m not worried about gas mileage. With regard to maintenance, I haven’t noticed that repairs and maintenance are any more expensive than they were in my previous, 4-cyl vehicle, taking inflation into account.

by Anonymousreply 182January 5, 2020 4:44 AM

R165, I agree the average new-car purchase is high compared to income, but it's skewed by purchases of SUV's, crossovers and trucks. You can get a new Camry for less than $30,000, and there are many cheaper cars on the market. People buy bigger, fancier cars than they used to, which drives up the average cost. Look around the parking lot at any suburban shopping center - it's a sea of big cars and oversized pickups.

For some perspective, the average cost of a new car in 1970 was $3,542. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $23,163 in today’s money, so we do pay more for new cars today by quite a bit. Median household income that year was $9,870, so new car cost was a lower portion of income, too. (That’s $64,546 in current dollars … we’ve gone backward, which is even more shocking when you consider that most households back then had only one earner.)

On the other hand, the car you buy today – even at the lower end of the market – is a better car than you would have gotten back in 1970. Reliability and safety are much improved, and many things are standard in cars now that didn’t even exist in ’70, so you’re spending more but you’re getting more, too.

by Anonymousreply 183January 5, 2020 5:09 AM

I know many people who drive cars they can’t afford. Almost always it’s people who really should be buying reliable, newer model used cars who tend to buy SUVs they can’t afford or even need. All of the 7unit secretaries (that I know of) in the medical building that I work at, they all drive more expensive cars/ SUVs than me. I’m a NP who makes pretty good salary. I found out that all of them financed their cars over 6-7 years, the most that they put as down payment was $3K. We’re talking about cars and SUVs that cost over $35K at least not including taxes and other fees. I couldn’t get over how people are willing to finance vehicles that deprecate badly or aren’t known for reliability. No way would I be financing for anything other than the most reliable brands and models. One bought a top model VW Tiguan that’s needed repairs at only 2 years after purchasing new. Another got a top of the line 2017 Mazda CX-5 that now she’s already talking about trading in to get 2020 model even though she says her car payments are a financial strain.

I’m not trying to impress anyone out on the road, all I need is a reliable and safe car to commute to work. I kept my mind open and did consider Kia and Hyundai but the longterm reliability question is the one factor that turned me off from them. Especially since I’ll only be saving around $2-3K from Toyota or Honda which have better resale value, or longevity if I decide to keep it longer than 10 years.

My last car was a 2008 Volvo S60 and I will never get another Volvo, such was my experience. Too expensive to maintain as the car ages past 5 years. Many of my extended family have also had similar experiences with VWs and Volvos, now most drive Lexus or Acuras while the younger ones drive Hondas and Toyotas. My family mostly had VWs, Mercedes, and Volvos, but no longer because almost all of them have had problems with repairs or maintenance. I ended up buying a 2020 Corolla XSE hatchback, about $25k including extras I’d purchased and taxes. Put half down and financed the other half over 36 months. Best thing about it is that it’s not breaking my bank and I’m not going to worry about car being in the shop, after all it’s a Toyota and a Corolla. My first new car was a 1998 Corolla, sold it to a coworker’s daughter who’s still driving it at over 230K miles last I’d checked. I’ve got too many things going on in my life right now and next few years to worry about car breaking down.

by Anonymousreply 184January 5, 2020 5:05 PM

I have a 2916 Ford Fiesta with manual transmission which I love. It drives beautifully (german engineering) and just needs $20 of gas a week. Paid 14k for it new and intend on driving it till it falls apart.

by Anonymousreply 185January 5, 2020 5:40 PM

Same here R184. I bought a Volvo 15 years ago and will never buy an expensive European car again. The repairs were ridiculously expensive - and horrible gas mileage. After not having a car for 8 years because I’m in the city, I’m now looking to move to suburbs and get a car. The expense of a car is shocking. I’m looking at Hondas - seems like the best value and most reliability. But still having a hard time accepting I have to pay $25k even for a decent used car.

by Anonymousreply 186January 5, 2020 5:52 PM

[quote]Actually, nobody is buying it.

I made the mistake of buying an off-lease CTS. I will never buy another American luxury car.

by Anonymousreply 187January 5, 2020 6:50 PM

[quote]Cadillac was ranked 30th among the mainstream auto brands – which is dead last. Its other brands didn’t do too well, either. Chevrolet was 25th, GMC was 22nd and Buick was 18th. Lexus, Mazda and Toyota occupied the top three in that order, while Porsche and Genesis completed the top five, respectively. Joining Cadillac at the bottom of the order were two other luxury brands: Alfa Romeo was 29th, while Acura was 28th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 5, 2020 6:54 PM

The Caddy deserves to be dead last. The design (esp the interior) was beautiful but it was a piece of shit mechanically and Cadillac was back ordered on parts, i.e., they couldn't even fix it.

by Anonymousreply 189January 5, 2020 7:11 PM

Sat in a CT6 platinum edition at the auto show last year...too many hard plastics at the base of the front seats and a flimsy feel to the console. I’ve never understood why GM insists that their cars can compete with Lexus or Mercedes Benz with such obvious cost cutting. They’ve allowed the bean counters to ruin their products.

by Anonymousreply 190January 5, 2020 8:23 PM

Unless someone is wanting a luxury car or truck, it makes no sense to buy anything other than a Honda or Toyota. They make a near-perfect automobile with proven quality and reliability. No one can do it better than them. There's a reason why they are named the best year after year.

They're not the sexiest cars by any means, but unless you drive an expensive luxury car, nobody is going to be impressed anyway.

by Anonymousreply 191January 5, 2020 8:39 PM

Cadillacs may have shitty quality but at least they're the only ones with a distinctive style. All the other brands look the same.

by Anonymousreply 192January 5, 2020 8:39 PM

If you want a luxury car do what rich people do, buy late model CPO cars. Not new. I am not talking ultra-wealthy like Muffy wants a new Porsche, but upper-class people who want to give the appearance but not pay the premium. Jaguar, for example, offers a 5 year 60K all-inclusive warranty (except the tires) and the cars themselves depreciate fast.A CPO will extend the warranty (although not all-inclusive) to 7 years 100K miles. We bought a 2017 XJL loaded for 40K. It had 22K miles on it. Other than gas and insurance we pay for nothing for the next 3 years and 38K miles. That is better than some new car warranties and I love owning it. Not many people have one so it is kind of a prestige car. I love the damn car.

by Anonymousreply 193January 5, 2020 8:59 PM

The Kia Telluride comes with an amazing 10 year/100k mile warranty.

by Anonymousreply 194January 5, 2020 9:58 PM

The Telluride has waiting lists and significant price markups atm, too. Kia/Hyundai are going to have to expand their North American production capacity sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 195January 5, 2020 10:07 PM

All kias come with a 10 year 100K warranty - they have to - shit breaks down. My Aunt got a new. My Aunt got a new Kia Sorrento. It has been to the dealer 7 times for 7 different issues including sunroof leak, transmission issues and one day it just died in the middle of an intersection.

by Anonymousreply 196January 6, 2020 12:38 PM

The Telluride looks great. It's build in Georgia, which is nice, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 6, 2020 4:07 PM

I'm not sure about having car companies build in the South. I mean the locals like it, but aren't labor and environmental standards kind of lax?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 6, 2020 4:09 PM

What’s a CPO?

by Anonymousreply 199January 6, 2020 4:14 PM

Certified Pre-Owned. R199. I won’t buy a car assembled in the US. Standards are not the same as the Germans and Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 200January 6, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote]I won’t buy a car assembled in the US. Standards are not the same as the Germans and Japanese.

I've always wondered about this.

by Anonymousreply 201January 6, 2020 4:47 PM

Genesis is built exclusively in South Korea. Some Hyundai and Kia models are assembled in the USA or Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 202January 6, 2020 5:04 PM

When Mercedes started building the first M class SUV in the US in the 90s, the quality was absolutely appalling for the brand. Just look where they build their top models and same with BMW.

by Anonymousreply 203January 6, 2020 5:15 PM

R186 Do you know as a fellow former Volvo car owner just how frustrating it can be to be fleeced by expensive repairs. My 2008 Volvo S60 started requiring parts replaced or repaired when it was barely 50k and 3 years old. I and many Volvo owners that I know kept investing in the cars, fixing them and hoping that they’ll last. Every year past the 5-year mark, it got progressively more to fix and maintain. But no, after my last parts replacement and repairs that cost me $4800, another malfunction less than a year later which required another $2000 of repairs. I finally said no, no more Volvos that are junk coasting on past reputation for reliability, same as VW. It’d be different if my situation was a one-off thing but it’s not, Germans cars while fun to drive and good performance, past 5 years and you’re looking at reliability issues, sometimes if you’re unlucky less than 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 204January 6, 2020 5:31 PM

R203 My uncle and cousin both had Mercedes in the ‘90s, and I remember both of then driving rental cars a lot when I was a kid because their cars were in the shop so much. Both were new cars too and specifically they chose German-made models. My uncle being a luxury car snob, kept buying Mercedes after Mercedes, with a couple of BMWs in between over almost 3 decades, until 3 years ago he finally gave up too. He’s now retired and drives a Toyota RAV4, great for ski trips and hauling grandkids but most importantly he gets to keep it more than his mechanic, he says.

by Anonymousreply 205January 6, 2020 5:38 PM

When I got my Volvo, everyone raved how theirs was still going at 200,000 miles. I had same experience as R204. Money pit.

I also liked the safety rep. But now Honda is just as good. Volvo is a rip-off.

by Anonymousreply 206January 6, 2020 5:40 PM

Part of the reasons why I got the new Corolla Hatchback over the sedan is because the 2020 hatchback is made in Japan. The sedans are made in North America, I believe here in U.S and Canada. Japanese manufacturing has better quality control.

by Anonymousreply 207January 6, 2020 5:43 PM

Mercedes starting cheapening in the late 90s. It was around the time they had that disastrous merger with Chrysler. For the first time in decades, cars in the North East were rusting after only a few years because they changed to a cheaper paint. They used to engineer cars but then the accountants took over and cut costs. Very similar to what has been happening at Boeing,

by Anonymousreply 208January 6, 2020 5:51 PM

Most stories are anecdotal. Toyota has just as many lemons as Ford or GM. Let's not forget that 1.1 billion settlement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 6, 2020 5:59 PM

The bean counters are maddening. They’re destroying cars, especially US cars. But I also recall an interview Bot Lutz gave shortly after his retirement from Chrysler. IIRC, he said that carmakers should NOT fuss too much about workmanship and quality...something about how anything that is assembled and made by multiple people, will have issues. But that’s crap.

by Anonymousreply 210January 6, 2020 6:27 PM

Any European brand is just impractical for me. Their interiors are too fussy and parts and repairs are unreasonably expensive.

by Anonymousreply 211January 6, 2020 6:45 PM

R147 Please note that your Korean car is not made in the United States, but assembled in the United States of foreign parts with the absolute minimum of US content to qualify for sale to government agencies.

by Anonymousreply 212January 7, 2020 3:19 AM

This is nuts. Uber air taxies by Hyundai. For 2023. Announced yesterday at CES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 7, 2020 3:10 PM

$32,000 for a Telluride. Same for a Palisade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 7, 2020 3:13 PM

I want a KIA telluride but a mechanic at Jiffy Lube said they need service often. 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 215January 7, 2020 3:19 PM

I was seriously looking at Kias, but then I read a bunch of consumer reviews and there is ALOT of instances where the engine just craps out on cars less than 3 years old, so that scared me off.

by Anonymousreply 216January 7, 2020 3:46 PM

Consumer Reports, November 2019, for what it's worth:

"Korean brands Genesis, Hyundai and Kia, all part of the same parent company, ranked fifth, sixth and ninth, respectively. They topped rival Japanese brands Nissan (11th), Honda (12th), Infiniti (13th) and Acura (28th)."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217January 7, 2020 3:50 PM

R217 Many of those Kia and Hyundai owners have new or newish cars less than 5 years old and low mileage. Those Hyundais and Kias have more plastic under the hood parts (not to mention car interior) than Honda and Toyota, that’s where the longterm reliability issue comes into play.

by Anonymousreply 218January 7, 2020 4:27 PM

Did they ever get any type of closure for the engine fires that Kias and Hyundais are allegedly prone to?

by Anonymousreply 219January 7, 2020 4:39 PM

R218, I guess Consumer Reports has terrible methodology for assessing reliability. I'm sure you know best. Are you American? Do you know what Consumer Reports is?

by Anonymousreply 220January 7, 2020 4:50 PM

Micah Muzio is hotter than hot on KBB YouTube reviews.

by Anonymousreply 221January 7, 2020 4:51 PM

[quote] Part of the reasons why I got the new Corolla Hatchback over the sedan is because the 2020 hatchback is made in Japan. The sedans are made in North America, I believe here in U.S and Canada. Japanese manufacturing has better quality control.

You couldn’t be more wrong, R207.

Even Mercedes Benz‘s South African assembly plant is considered its best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222January 7, 2020 5:19 PM

I love Micah, too. His new review on the MB GLE is really well done.

[quote]I want a KIA telluride but a mechanic at Jiffy Lube said they need service often

Nonsense. They JUST came out and no one is taking their brand new Tellurides to fucking Jiffy Lube.

[quote]Many of those Kia and Hyundai owners have new or newish cars less than 5 years old and low mileage.

You make no sense and probably don't even understand why.

by Anonymousreply 223January 7, 2020 5:22 PM

R220 What does me being an American have to do with it? CR car reliability ratings are based upon survey questionnaires sent to its subscribers. By their own account, the response rate is between 6-12%, which if not high enough of a rate to support study validity. Validity of surveys are strongly related to confidence in survey participants bring a representative sample. It also asks respondents to rank problems as serious or major, but CR doesn’t define what those terms mean for the purpose of the study. For instance, it lists oil leak and fuel leak as minor engine problems, but sometimes it is exactly those small or insidious problems that eventually spell calamity down the road. CR doesn’t control for variables such as why the other 88-94% don’t turn in their surveys. For example, biases of newer car owners still giddy about their cars or perhaps some needing to justify their choice of vehicles as form of validation. Reliability is rated by survey respondents as any problems occurring within the past 12 months. Newer model Kias and Hyundais fit under this determination of reliability quite well. For true reliability, why not repeat same survey with same respondents over longer period of time, sort of like a pre- and post-test study.

by Anonymousreply 224January 7, 2020 5:32 PM

R222 You’re kidding right? You do know that J.D Power is an auto industry shill, right? Automakers pay J.D. Power to gather favorable and biased “research” so that they can use said “research” in auto ads. It’s an open secret that J.D Power doesn’t hide, and anyone who buys a car solely based upon J.D. Power recommendations/ press release is obviously someone who is naive about car-buying and the auto industry in general.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 7, 2020 5:42 PM

In 2014 Consumer Reports voted my Caddy CTS Car of the Year. Everyone went wild over it. But, when it comes to cars, it turned out to be the worst buy I've made. Since then I've done a lot more research before I buy cars. I don't trust any of the magazines. I do like Scotty the mechanic. He's pretty straightforward in his reviews (and he also called Caddy out on their mechanical issues when everyone was praising it. I wish I'd heard of him then).

by Anonymousreply 226January 7, 2020 5:57 PM

Someone told me that Scotty is a Trump supporter...

by Anonymousreply 227January 7, 2020 11:33 PM

R227 That doesn't have anything to do with whether he's giving out good, expert advice. I don't know whether he is one or not, and given that he lives in the Houston area, there's a good chance that he is a Trumptard politically. However, I'd make a guess that many mechanics are not that politically liberal if we want to play the game of guessing one's political bents by job stereotypes. My criteria for a good mechanic doesn't include delving into his/ her political views unless he/ she is in my face about it and turning me off from doing business with them. Basically, Scotty's channel is not political, but you're welcome to not view it if you think it is, he's not forcing you to watch his rants and advice.

To follow up on J.D. Power and the farce that it is, this is an article that summarizes what's wrong with automakers paying it to prop themselves up with awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 8, 2020 3:19 PM

Any so-called unbiased, expert source that gives GM top award for compact sedan reliability should be laughed off the stage. If you take a look around J.D. Power website and read their top promo articles, it’s not difficult to know which automakers are paying it the most $$$. GM, Chevy, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru are some of the main culprits. Mazda dropped off a bit so maybe they’re late on their payment, who knows. Truly reliable brands like Toyota don’t have to rely on fake awards or questionable surveys, they rely on word of mouth, mechanics advice, and people’s own driving experiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229January 8, 2020 3:33 PM

Please impugn Consumer Reports. I'd like to see the dirt. None? Darn.

by Anonymousreply 230January 8, 2020 3:50 PM

I have a crush on Comsumer Report’s co-host Ryan Pzczolkowski. He’s just adorable.

by Anonymousreply 231January 8, 2020 3:54 PM

[quote]Someone told me that Scotty is a Trump supporter...

And so?

by Anonymousreply 232January 8, 2020 4:18 PM

r232 = Dee Plorable

by Anonymousreply 233January 8, 2020 4:58 PM

Tell us R233 now that we know "someone" said Scotty is a Trump supporter, what do you suggest we do?

Leave nasty comments on his YouTube page? Stage a boycott of his videos? Cancel him altogether?

Please let us know.

by Anonymousreply 234January 8, 2020 8:11 PM

[quote]Maybach level luxury

Idiot

by Anonymousreply 235January 8, 2020 8:35 PM

Hyundai's and Kia's have zero resale value. I know as I would go to the auctions and they always went for pennies compared to other used cars. Their higher end models...forget about them as they are a waste of good money no matter how great they may have become

by Anonymousreply 236January 8, 2020 8:51 PM

I’m shocked - 4 year old cars with 50,000 miles are still over $20,000! WTF!? How are cars so friggin expensive now? Are there no cheap cars left?

by Anonymousreply 237January 8, 2020 8:53 PM

R234, we ignore him. We don’t patronize racist shot bags.

by Anonymousreply 238January 8, 2020 8:54 PM

SHIT BAGS

by Anonymousreply 239January 8, 2020 8:55 PM

[quote] Hyundai's and Kia's have zero resale value. I know as I would go to the auctions and they always went for pennies compared to other used cars. Their higher end models...forget about them as they are a waste of good money no matter how great they may have become

Some things not even Jason Bateman can save.

by Anonymousreply 240January 8, 2020 8:55 PM

I bought this little cutie last year. It's a 2017 that had only 2500 miles on it. I paid well under 19k with full forever warranty. I had a BMW with 50k on it that was costing a fortune just to change the oil. This car is enough and makes me happy to drive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 8, 2020 8:58 PM

How very white trash of you.

by Anonymousreply 242January 8, 2020 9:28 PM

I was recently a passenger in a 2018 Acura ILX. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn I was in a 1965 Chevy Biscayne, the interior was so cheap looking with acres and acres of hard plastics.

Shame on Acura for pedaling this bullshit as "luxury."

by Anonymousreply 243January 8, 2020 9:30 PM

said r242 while driving his 2003 Hyundai Elantra wagon

by Anonymousreply 244January 8, 2020 9:41 PM

R236 Poor resale value because Hyundai and Kia uses the cheapest possible parts that would hold until warranty ends, mechanics will tell you that there is a difference between plastic parts and steel parts. Also the deeper warranty is not all that it seems, both companies are not known to be honoring them without a fight. One of my cousins is a mechanic, and paraphrasing him "go ask 100 mechanics if Hyundai and Kia are better, let alone on par with Toyota and Honda, you'll get maybe 10 who say yes but they're either Hyundai or Kia mechanics or lying to you". The reason why I originally considered Hyundai or Kia when making my purchasing decision, was mainly due to all the bells and whistles plus the exterior design/ look of some of the cars. It's only when I honed in on the mechanical and reliability side of things that I decided against them. My uncle drove a Hyundai Santa Fe that leaked fuel after 30k miles and had to have the fuel tank replaced, when he took it in to the dealers to have it fixed, Hyundai first tried to blame him for the problem. He traded it in for a RAV4 which so far has over 100k no problems just regular service and oil changes.

by Anonymousreply 245January 8, 2020 9:42 PM

R245: I had a Hyundai with terrible engine problems. I also had a Honda Accord with terrible engine problems.

Both cars were purchased new, both cars were serviced every 3K miles, and both cars were pieces of shit.

Just sayin.

by Anonymousreply 246January 8, 2020 9:48 PM

I worked with Hyundais since they foisted their original pieces of crap on the American public in the 80s. I was there in Ca when they introduced the Santa Fees in 1999. No matter what they did to improve a Hyundai, they are nothing but junk. Buy a Toyota or Honda WITHOUT the 1 speed transmission which is also a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 247January 8, 2020 10:09 PM

What do you guy think about Ford or Lincoln?

by Anonymousreply 248January 8, 2020 10:11 PM

Like todays appliances r248, none of these cars are built to last 20 yrs anymore. Since they dumped the town car, I hate Lincolns. Even the new BMW 328is have turned into plastic junk.

by Anonymousreply 249January 8, 2020 10:15 PM

R236 Always wondered about car auctions. Are they open to the public or must you be a dealer? I once bought a car from a dealer who searched the Southwest for good cars. I live in the Northeast and the cars he sold were always in good shape, esp. the bodies from lack of rain and snow, etc. I'm settled on my old Lexus now and will try to hold it until either it goes or I do, but I've always been interested in how the auctions are run.

by Anonymousreply 250January 8, 2020 10:53 PM

What I don't understand is this: $7,000, the price of a new car in 1980 would be equivalent to about $22,000 today. That would be the price of an entry level Honda or Mazda.

That Honda or Mazda is far superior to a 1980 car in every way.

I can't believe a 1980 automobile was built better, had better quality components and lasted longer than one made today.

by Anonymousreply 251January 8, 2020 11:10 PM

Plastic?

The dash of a 1980 Buick Century:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252January 8, 2020 11:36 PM

The sash of a 2019 Buick Regal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253January 8, 2020 11:40 PM

*dash

by Anonymousreply 254January 8, 2020 11:49 PM

So seems like the consensus is Honda and a Toyota?

Looking at a Buick Encore - great price and I figure American parts and repairs shouldn’t be that expensive. Seems nicer than Jeep - which I hear terrible things about.

by Anonymousreply 255January 8, 2020 11:53 PM

I miss my sporty Rambler convertible!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256January 9, 2020 12:02 AM

r255 it is a Korean car. it is made in Korea.

by Anonymousreply 257January 9, 2020 12:04 AM

They look nice enough, but I know value is sometimes synonymous with a mark's reputation, and image. I know psychologically I had a bit of an issue with VW's Phaeton price. My ex purchased one, and I tried to talk him into an Audi, or a used Mercedes. He ended up going for the Phaeton, yet only kept it for three years, and he bought an older Audi.

by Anonymousreply 258January 9, 2020 12:13 AM

R256 I'd pick that in a heartbeat over the Kia or Hyundai!

by Anonymousreply 259January 9, 2020 12:16 AM

I'm going with the Toyotas, Hondas, and Lexus. Have had bad luck with BMW and Cadillac and because of Cadillac don't trust GM anymore. Friend has an older Toyota Venza. Never had a single problem with it and the style still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 260January 9, 2020 12:16 AM

I used to ride around in my mother's Lincoln Continental Givenchy edition and wave at all the town folk. I thought I was Cleopatra cruising down the Nile in that beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 9, 2020 12:22 AM

r250 Most auctions I know are only open to those with dealer licenses. A friend with one could bring you in.

by Anonymousreply 262January 9, 2020 12:24 AM

R261 That is a beautiful green, and similar to the Kia Soul that I had on my list of cars when I considered getting a Kia, actually the only good thing about the Kia is their interesting color choices in certain models.

R260 Lexus holds up very well, as do Toyotas in general with regards to styling. This is because Toyota tend to be conservative in design and style, which many hold against the brand as a negative. I don't because I consider that a positive. The plus side is that you'll never wind up with a car that's outdated or ugly the way that Honda fucked up the newest generation Civic. Honda not only made the Civic larger so that it's comparable to the Accord, in fact I believe it's the largest compact in its class. The redesign is a dealbreaker for even many Civic fans. I test drove the Civic and couldn't believe how big it had gotten, it's a full 8 inches bigger than the Corolla, its main rival. WTF Honda, if I wanted an Accord I'll buy and Accord. Mainly the exterior/ body is so hideous that I just couldn't get past it, and that was with the already questionable turbo engine in those Civics.

by Anonymousreply 263January 9, 2020 12:53 AM

R248 Seriously considering a new Lincoln Continental here. I would never under any circumstances buy any imported car, especially those Korean and Japanese garbage.

by Anonymousreply 264January 9, 2020 1:13 AM

R264 The sedan is a beautiful car. I've heard there are some incredible deals to be had, since the numbers are down compared to projected sales. Have you begun any negociations? Many of the loaded versions are 80K or so... Very curious as to how much they're willing to discount.

by Anonymousreply 265January 9, 2020 1:25 AM

America's Belle Époque

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266January 9, 2020 1:28 AM

2020 will be the last year for the Continental. It'll probably end production this summer. Buying one sounds like a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 267January 9, 2020 2:25 AM

Yeah between poor construction/need for repairs and horrible gas mileage, Lincoln’s seem like a horrible idea. Corvettes make more sense.

by Anonymousreply 268January 9, 2020 2:27 AM

R267 The last model year may make it highly desireable down the line. Who's to say really. If someone really likes it though, and they are sitting on inventory, it may be a great time to purchase one.

by Anonymousreply 269January 9, 2020 2:28 AM

I’m surprised at reading the negative posts about Korean cars...food for thought.

by Anonymousreply 270January 9, 2020 2:34 AM

What about Subaru’s? I’ve heard a lot about them being the new Volvo - reliable, long lasting, safe.

by Anonymousreply 271January 9, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote]The last model year may make it highly desireable down the line.

I highly doubt that.

Ford revived the Thunderbird in 2002-2005. No one bought it. They're worth nothing today. If anything should have been a collectable it should have been that.

The Continental revival got good reviews when it came out but Ford has done nothing to update it over the past 4 years. I just don't think it's a car that anyone is going to crave after it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 272January 9, 2020 2:51 AM

R271 My ex-BF drives a Subaru Forester and before that he drove an Outback. I think his Forester is now under recall too. His Outback before the Forester was fine until it had the typical Subaru engine problem of leaking head gasket; go read up on it and you'll see what I mean. Subaru is still a good brand, but has inconsistencies with their engines that as age and mileage creep up, you're going to be spending $$$ just to maintain let alone fix. The leaking head gasket is the reason for me not getting a Forester, when I test drove it, it was actually my favorite car to drive.

by Anonymousreply 273January 9, 2020 2:53 AM

Thanks R273. Much appreciate the tip - as I had not seen that. Great info.

by Anonymousreply 274January 9, 2020 3:18 AM

Who sells their used cars? Doesn't that open you to liability? I just donate mine to a charity.

by Anonymousreply 275January 9, 2020 5:11 AM

Hope for sedans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 9, 2020 5:15 AM

Don't mindlessly fall into the SUV crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 9, 2020 5:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 9, 2020 5:17 AM

Someone here is spot-on about US makers' abandonment of sedans being an opportunity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279January 9, 2020 5:18 AM

Their new HQ. Beautiful, but what does it say for them to build something this expensive so near North Korea?

At least there's no radiation contamination like in Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 9, 2020 5:28 AM

R237, what sort of car are you talking about?

I just checked Carmax. Within 100 miles of me, there are numerous Toyota Camrys with less than 30,000 miles for sale for less than $20,000. Most of them are 2017 models (just coming off lease, probably).

I don't get all the complaining about "high car prices." Car prices are not much higher than they were decades ago when inflation is taken into account. And, as R251 says, cars today are more reliable and safer with more gadgets (a few too many gadgets, as far as I'm concerned).

The reason people spend more for cars now is because they buy fancier cars.

by Anonymousreply 281January 9, 2020 7:07 AM

Some advice - never buy a first-year car (as in it was just released this year). There are always problems because it is a new model and you get to be the QC for the manufacturer. Thank god for Lemon Laws. Most of the time it is smarter to buy a late-model used car with a certified pre-owned warranty/ They are cheaper, usually have some original factory warranty left and the CPO extends that to sometimes 7 years (if you plan to keep your car longer). I tend to get bored of mine and swap em out every two years so leasing usually works for me in the past until I discovered the joy of CPO buying. I get more car for the money, the depreciation has already hit the car when I buy it and I am usually reading to trade-in and get another car long before any warranty runs out.

by Anonymousreply 282January 9, 2020 1:49 PM

The Lincoln Aviator has been recalled even before sales officially started. Leave it to American carmakers fucking up.

by Anonymousreply 283January 9, 2020 2:11 PM

The guy that reviews cars for Kelley Blue Book loves both the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. His name is Micah Muzio. He’s 41 and cute as hell. He has a fat wife and looks like he’s not opposed to getting cock. .

by Anonymousreply 284January 9, 2020 2:21 PM

My new Honda Passport (mid-sized SUV) was $47k

by Anonymousreply 285January 9, 2020 2:24 PM

Muzio posted a critique of his style from someone on Instagram that said he seemed, “a little bit gay...”. He laughed it off. It has crossed my mind. Some of the Consumer Reports guys ping to me as well. There are several out automotive journalists like Frank Markus and Martin Padgett, who both worked for Car and Driver. After reading Padgett’s 90s review of th VW Cabriolet, I knew that he was gay. He said that the seat fabric looked like mauve colored worms that were a bit “too fabulous” for him. Years later he came out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 286January 9, 2020 2:37 PM

Muzio started as a janitor then worked in radio. He’s good looking.

by Anonymousreply 287January 9, 2020 2:42 PM

Jason Cammisa is another gay car guy, but he’s a lot more esoteric so I wouldn’t look to him for every day-car advice.

by Anonymousreply 288January 9, 2020 3:09 PM

I have been test driving cars all week. I know a RAV 4 is probably a good car, but's it basic and boring as fuck. The Ford Escape wasnt bad. The Edge wasn't bad either. And now the two cars i really loved are at opposite ends of the spectrum. A Honda HRV and a Lincoln MKC. Both late models (2017 and 2018) and both under 20K

by Anonymousreply 289January 9, 2020 9:37 PM

R289 I test drove the Honda HRV and thought it was boring to drive, more like a suburban frau mobile. I liked the specs on paper but test driving it left me underwhelmed. If I were to get a SUV it sure wouldn't be a HRV. The RAV4 Prime which is coming out for 2021 is the model that I would probably buy, but probably not for another 3 years or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290January 9, 2020 11:53 PM

I’m thinking about the Honda CRV. But haven’t found any used under 50,000 miles for less than $23k. So now just considering new for $26-$27k. Apparently a lot of things standard in the 2020 that only high end models had before - especially safety stuff. It haven’t done a test drive yet.

Based on this threads positivity about Toyota, I’m also now considering RAV4. But the Honda CRV safety and mpg are very appealing. I won’t go for a bigger SUV - much more expensive and much worse mpg.

I’m also debating waiting for the new hybrid CRV that’s supposed to come out shortly. Great mpg and not crazy expensive. CRV is a real sweet spot for price, mpg and storage capacity - plus Honda reliability reputation.

by Anonymousreply 291January 10, 2020 1:56 AM

Honda’s aren’t very reliable, at least according to CR.

But they have good resale value lol

Male sure to Google “cowl shake“ for any Honda that you consider buying. Stay safe.

by Anonymousreply 292January 10, 2020 4:46 AM

R283 Lincoln

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293January 10, 2020 5:41 AM

R283 Toaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294January 10, 2020 5:41 AM

The Aviator is a beautifully styled SUV. Quality of assembly might be another issue, but the thing is attractive.

by Anonymousreply 295January 10, 2020 5:45 AM

^ Good luck finding it in the parking lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 10, 2020 6:02 AM

^ Geezer tracking device.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297January 10, 2020 6:05 AM

The SUV is a form that doesn't allow much leeway in design. They do tend to look similar.

The Aviator is a sober design as is the RangeRover.

by Anonymousreply 298January 10, 2020 6:09 AM

I’m happy for Alabamans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 10, 2020 6:41 AM

The Palisade is popular but it’s big. The Santa Fe is perfect for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300January 10, 2020 6:43 AM

There are a ton of Tellurides on the road these days.

by Anonymousreply 301January 10, 2020 11:32 AM

[quote]My ex-BF drives a Subaru Forester and before that he drove an Outback.

So the reason he's your ex is that you discovered that he was a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 302January 10, 2020 12:40 PM

I'm thinking about getting a new car...my 2013 Nissan Rogue isn't inspiring a lot of confidence for the long term. I'd like the Subaru Crosstrek or the Toyota RAV4, but damn they charge a lot for the features I want. I may go back to a sedan...my friend just got a 2018 Camry and it's very nice. I actually like the Corolla Hatchback, but they don't offer a sunroof option. I know that shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but I really like having one!

Before the Nissan, I had a Honda Civic that had some issues, but not too bad of a car for how long I drove it--10 years! I have heard that current Hondas have a lot of air conditioning problems.

So, DL...Subaru or Toyota?

by Anonymousreply 303January 10, 2020 1:19 PM

I can remember the caption from the cover of a car magazine in the mid 90's:

"Who makes the better $25,000 car?

A) Mercedes-Benz

B) Hyundai

C) Could you repeat the question? "

by Anonymousreply 304January 10, 2020 2:19 PM

If I had to buy a crossover, I would like a Volvo V90 Cross Country...it’s basically a butched up wagon, but they are gorgeous. Too bad that they don’t offer the most inventive colors...just black, white, brown and gray...

by Anonymousreply 305January 10, 2020 3:41 PM

Based on comments above about gasket, sounds like Subaru’s have problems. I would go for the RAV4 because it has more space and better reliability ratings. And prices are better.

I had a Volvo XC - horrible. Yes, it looks nice - but repairs are super expensive and horrible gas mileage for a non-SUV. And it was small - you don’t appreciate how much more you can fit in a compact SUV vs a wagon. I ended up having to borrow brothers car constantly to move bigger stuff - like Home Depot purchases, pieces of furniture, mattresses, plants. I will never again do a wagon - and absolutely, never a Volvo.

by Anonymousreply 306January 10, 2020 4:25 PM

After all the problems with my 2014 CTS4 Caddy, I sold it for $13K. I then paid $14.5K (!!) for a 2010 Lexus RX350 SUV. They both had about the same mileage but I can sleep at night knowing the Lexus won't kill me at the dealership for repairs. It's my first SUV. I had a Subaru Legacy before the Caddy and it was reliable but I disliked the whining CVT transmission.

by Anonymousreply 307January 10, 2020 5:09 PM

R292 Honda's reliability has slid off a bit recent years due to putting in turbo engines. By theory, turbo engine and longevity do not go together, and it's the one major difference in philosophy between Honda and Toyota. Toyota has so far stayed away from turbo engines because it's staying true to its philosophy of reliability over flashy performance without longterm reliability. So it's still naturally aspirated engine for Toyota aside from hybrids. The unknown longevity of turbo engines should be interesting for the Honda brand for coming years because it's been known for reliability for so long, only second to Toyota in many people's minds.

What Toyota has done is invest in other more performance-driven companies in order to stay on top of trends in that area. They've acquired partial ownership in Mazda for instance, and recently Toyota partnered with BMW to make their Supra sports car.

by Anonymousreply 308January 10, 2020 8:47 PM

Well, I mean Honda didn't have to settle a 2 billion dollar self acceleration lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 309January 10, 2020 8:54 PM

Toyota is capable of building performance cars but it chooses not to for the most part. That doesn't mean rational, reliable, and safety-focused Toyota doesn't do BSC things like building a 268 HP Yaris. This article calls it "beautiful madness" because it's so out of character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310January 10, 2020 9:04 PM

Love my new Honda Passport Elite. It’s a man’s SUV. The CRV = women, Pilot = families.

by Anonymousreply 311January 10, 2020 10:11 PM

The Supra has a turbo engine. Just like the Z4. You cannot get performance and low emissions without a turbo. Yes, they won’t last as long as naturally aspirated engines. I miss BMW and their silky smooth naturally aspirated in-line 6 engines. The sound was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 312January 10, 2020 10:13 PM

No acceptable import is currently on the US market. Until Japan and Korea remove cultural trade barriers from buying our products, I refuse to buy theirs.

by Anonymousreply 313January 10, 2020 10:32 PM

Inline 6 engines are poised to make a comeback. Mercedes and even Mazda are working on a new I6 for a new RWD platform. It makes sense when you consider that it's easier to build an I6 off an existing I4 (which dominate the mainstream at this point). Plus, they're just better than V6s.

by Anonymousreply 314January 10, 2020 10:33 PM

Back in the late 1920's, Walter P. Chrysler was somewhat reluctant to move to inline eight cylinder engines since he felt that by design, a six cylinder inline engine was inherently balanced. Due to the long crankshafts in inline engines, vibrations tended to smooth out due to the long crankshafts absorbing vibrations. When we moved to higher octane gasolines, with higher compression ratios in the engines, design had to move to a V design in order to have a shorter, more rigid crankshaft that would not torque as much with the higher compression. Pontiac and Packard were the last holdouts for inline eights in this country, holding on until 1954. Six cylinder engines were pretty much common until the 1970-80's when they were replaced by V6 designs. A V6 is a smaller package and was easier to fit in today's smaller cars, and couldbe engineered off of existing V8 designs. The largest passenger vehicle engines ever installed in US cars were I6 engines, the 825 cubic inch Pierce Arrow model 66 of 1910-18, and the 1910-13 Oldsmobile Limited with a 707 cubic inch engine.

by Anonymousreply 315January 10, 2020 11:03 PM

Turbo, aspirated, in-line? You all lost me - it I respect your informed opinions. I really have no idea about cars- which is why buying one is so stressful. Soooo expensive yet I feel like I’m taking a stab in the dark. Which is why I was gravitating towards Honda for its reliability reputation - which has now been shot to hell. Back to looking at Toyota’s I guess.

by Anonymousreply 316January 11, 2020 3:58 AM

[quote]Back to looking at Toyota’s I guess.

Good choice. No other car manufacturer reaches the consistent reliability rate that Toyota does across their entire product line. Unlike Honda, Nissan, Kia/Hyundai, and the Big Three US auto companies.

Other manufacturers may make a reliable model, but you can count on it to only apply to that model. Toyota has the most success at maintaining high reliability standards across their entire product line.

by Anonymousreply 317January 11, 2020 5:14 PM

Is it 2005? Hyundai has been making great cars for a long time now. Why wouldn't someone give that amount of money for a good car? People give a lot more for way worse cars, like Jaguar or Jeep aka Fiat.

by Anonymousreply 318January 11, 2020 5:20 PM

The differences between a Toyota and Honda are minuscule across the board, so it really comes down to preferences in exterior/interior styling and driving/handling. Reliabilty and maintenance costs are near identical.

If you watch Toyota/Honda comparison videos on Youtube, they basically tie in everything. You can't go wrong with either one. You need to test drive both and see which one you prefer.

by Anonymousreply 319January 11, 2020 8:34 PM

I’m getting a 2020 Lincoln Aviator.

by Anonymousreply 320January 12, 2020 2:09 PM

The current Accord is the ugliest to ever bear the name. I like the Camry more. Plus the Camry is available with a V6.

by Anonymousreply 321January 12, 2020 2:47 PM

Toyota is the only auto company that makes cars that have the capacity to reach 1 million miles on the original engine. Staying true to its philosophy, it's the only company that will buy the cars back from owners, not to keep as showcase relics but to break those cars down part by part. Why? So that the engineers gain knowledge into why and how it happened, and use that knowledge to further improve their products. Toyota has earned its reliability ratings and consumer confidence as the most valuable automaker in the world, worth over $200 billion, way ahead of second place Volkswagen (including Audi, Porsche) at $80 billion. Volkswagen's reputation took a big hit with its much-publicized emissions scandal involving cars from 2009-2015, when the company admitted to deliberately cheating to bypass emissions rules due to its polluting diesel engines not having any chance of meeting standards. It had everything, international criminal prosecution, top-down fraud and conspiracy in the company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 12, 2020 6:32 PM

The 2020 Genesis G90 costs over $80k

by Anonymousreply 323January 12, 2020 7:10 PM

Is it unusual for an alternator to fail at 100,000 miles? I have a 2011 Camry that just turned the 100K milestone. It still drives beautifully and gives me no trouble otherwise, but I had to replace the alternator last month.

I had been planning to drive the car for another 3 years or so. Should I now be concerned about the long-term health of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

by Anonymousreply 324January 12, 2020 7:34 PM

R324, Are you really complaining that you had to make your first major repair at 100k miles? You should be thankful that your car has held up so beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 325January 12, 2020 7:41 PM

No, I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering if this is unusual and if I should be thinking about replacing the car sooner than I had planned.

by Anonymousreply 326January 12, 2020 7:55 PM

[quote]Is it unusual for an alternator to fail at 100,000 miles?

No, its a little early but still within normal range. Alternators are a wear item that's going to fail after it performs its function through a certain number of cycles. The longest lasting alternator I've had on a car is 120,000 miles (a Toyota), but I've had to replace one as early as 85,000 miles (a Cadillac).

by Anonymousreply 327January 12, 2020 8:12 PM

Have any of you driven a Toyota Rav? Does it ride smoothly or rough?

I've always driven sedans, but I'm thinking about getting a small SUV next time.

by Anonymousreply 328January 12, 2020 9:01 PM

R328 I've driven the new 2019 and 2020 RAV4 models and the ride quality has improved over the 2016 model (which I'd also driven before). My uncle has a 2016 RAV4 top of the line, and compared to that one, the 2019 and 2020 models that I'd test driven have firmer and smoother rides. I'll be getting the RAV4 Prime which isn't out until 2021, but I'll wait for at least another 3 or 4 years after the initial release. If you plan on getting a compact SUV like RAV4, don't get one with turbo GDI engines like the Honda CR-V (even though the CR-V is a slightly smoother ride IMO). Direct or forced injection engines are prone to carbon buildup. Turbo like all forced-induction systems exposes the engine to higher internal temperatures and pressures, which negatively affects longevity of the engine. Those engines are not going to last and Honda has a poor design to boot. Honda also lied about fixing the problem of oil dilution associated with those engines. It's a real problem that Honda first tried to blame on cold weather or short distance driving causing it, then it admitted partial fault by extending warranties by 1 extra year. Look up oil dilution and Honda, there are some serious already happening and some yet to come problems for people still unaware of what might be in store. If I was financing a compact SUV, I'd have no problem financing a RAV4 or even a Mazda CX-5 whereas a Honda CR-V I'd be wary. This video explains in simple terms what the oil dilution problem is in Honda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 12, 2020 9:48 PM

FWIW, Consumer Report also highlighted the Honda oil dilution problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 12, 2020 9:50 PM

R324, and alternator is a MINOR mechanical issue. It's likely that you could have changed it yourself without issue. Have a look at ChrisFix's tutorial at your leisure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331January 12, 2020 9:56 PM

R327 and R331, thank you. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 332January 12, 2020 11:36 PM

r322 Yes Toyota - the bastions of flawless cars and upfront business practices

Also, the company hid from federal regulators a second cause of unintended acceleration in its vehicles: a sticky gas pedal. The problem was caused by plastic material inside the pedal that could cause the accelerator to become stuck in a partially depressed position

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 13, 2020 2:26 AM

HmM - good info on the CRV - which is what I was leaning towards. Though it seems that the oil dilution issue was fixed for 2019 - so 2020 shouldn’t be an issue.

I really like the CRV storage capacity and safety sensing system. Better than the RAV4. Tough call. CRV has been rated #1 a few places - while RAV4 is #3. Was even considering HRV - there is a cool Magic Seat storage trick that eliminates one full back seat floor to ceiling.

So I’m a little dubious of the DL experts - though you guys have waaay more knowledge than I do. Thanks for all the helpful input DLers!

by Anonymousreply 334January 13, 2020 3:29 AM

Toyotas and Hondas might be dependable but they look like they were designed by Ultraman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335January 13, 2020 3:39 AM

Toyotas and Hondas might be dependable but they look like they were designed by Ultraman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336January 13, 2020 3:39 AM

Neighbors purchased a new Genesis a few months ago. A couple of weeks before Christmas the power steering failed. Turns out rodents had eaten through the electrical harness, it resulted in $10,000 of damage. It was not covered under warranty although the owners learned that the wires were insulated with a soy product, very tasty to vermin apparently.

by Anonymousreply 337January 13, 2020 3:50 AM

Someone on this thread is clearly a Toyota salesman and is trying to turn people against Honda.

There is virtually no difference between a Honda and a Toyota. It all comes down to preference.

by Anonymousreply 338January 13, 2020 4:08 AM

R313, 16% of hard purchased last year in Korea were imports. In Japan it was 10%. Not saying that means anything. Just adding data.

by Anonymousreply 339January 13, 2020 4:16 AM

I’d like a Genesis if it were electric. Until then, I’ll ride Lyft.

by Anonymousreply 340January 13, 2020 4:17 AM

r340 why? it still burns fossil fuel right?

by Anonymousreply 341January 13, 2020 2:23 PM

The Honda vs Toyota debate is interesting. Know many long time Honda owners who have had no problems. Oddly, don’t know as many Toyota owners. My sense is RAV4 looks slicker - but at the expense of useable cargo space.

by Anonymousreply 342January 13, 2020 2:42 PM

Honda has terrible reliability issues. Toyotas are very boring.

by Anonymousreply 343January 13, 2020 2:48 PM

The Telluride just won the North American Utility Vehicle of the Year award. It beat the Lincoln Aviator. The 3rd nominee was the Hyundai Palisade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344January 13, 2020 2:58 PM

I’ve come to realize most of the “best of” ratings (Ex, R344) are based on performance when cars first come out. What matters to me is long term endurance - which most new car ratings can’t measure.

by Anonymousreply 345January 13, 2020 3:11 PM

Very funny new Car and Driver article about the Telluride, R345. They have as a long term tester, and after 10,000 are frustrated that they can’t find anything wrong with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346January 13, 2020 3:18 PM

"The Telluride just won the North American Utility Vehicle of the Year award. It beat the Lincoln Aviator. The 3rd nominee was the Hyundai Palisade."

Understandable, since the Telluride and the Palisade are basically the same vehicle with different exteriors. It's called badge engineering.

by Anonymousreply 347January 13, 2020 3:24 PM

Of course they are frustrated...they don’t have anything to snark about. Automotive journalists love being smart asses. Perfect cars don’t give them a chance to out snark each other. I can’t stand that about them

by Anonymousreply 348January 13, 2020 3:29 PM

The Telluride/Palisade connection is more accurately termed “platform sharing,” not badge engineering.

by Anonymousreply 349January 13, 2020 3:32 PM

I saw a Honda Civic Hatchback yesterday. I really did like the looks of it--but I've sort of gotten used to be "higher" on the road in my little SUV...

I think this is pretty nice:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350January 13, 2020 3:49 PM

R334 I watch Doug DeMuro’s videos because they’re entertaining, he reviews cars that are usually not your average daily driver cars. He’s a performance car journalist who has his own idiosyncratic rating system. But he reviewed the RAV4 last year and gave it a good review for its compact SUV segment. The video is informative because he gives indication of how car reviewers who write reviews for a living think, they’re really about performance thus new cars Even brands of poor reliability will often get higher ratings than they deserve. Doug finds much to praise about the RAV4 and is astounded bu the amount of safety features that Toyota offers as standard not upgrades. The LOL factor at the end of the video where he ranks it just slightly below the Peugeot SUV is hilarious, but that’s how performance car reviewers think.

Always do your own research and don’t place a lot of stock on auto review journalists. Ask around for mechanics’ views. Read up on the cars’ specs in detail, find out which engine types etc.. Look at reasons why certain companies are at the top for performance or reliability and decide which factors are more important to you. If you’re only planning on holding on to the car for 5-6 years before reselling then resale vslue should figure into the equation too, but reliability maybe shouldn’t figure strongly. But I definitely advice seeking opinions of several mechanics.

by Anonymousreply 351January 13, 2020 3:55 PM

Sorry this is the Dough DeMuro video I referred to in R351

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352January 13, 2020 3:57 PM

DeMuro is an asshole. He thinks really highly of himself; he sells autographed photos of him to people for money! Like he’s A list.

by Anonymousreply 353January 13, 2020 4:16 PM

Doug is annoying AF, but he's tall, has pretty eyes and it wouldn't surprise me if his dick is huge.

by Anonymousreply 354January 13, 2020 4:21 PM

Ugh he irritates me. He’s fucking ugly too.

by Anonymousreply 355January 13, 2020 4:48 PM

[quote]I’ve come to realize most of the “best of” ratings (Ex, [R344]) are based on performance when cars first come out. What matters to me is long term endurance - which most new car ratings can’t measure.

Consumer Reports survey car owners their reliability ratings are from real world usage. I usually look at the reliability ratings when I am thinking about buying a car.

by Anonymousreply 356January 13, 2020 5:00 PM

He’s heterosexual, r354 so what’s the big deal.

by Anonymousreply 357January 13, 2020 5:33 PM

[quote]DeMuro is an asshole. He thinks really highly of himself; he sells autographed photos of him to people for money! Like he’s A list.

Sells photos of himself? Are we sure about that? Link please.

Of all the car reviewers on YouTube I enjoy watching him the most.

by Anonymousreply 358January 13, 2020 5:39 PM

Jaguar Guy R193 - You paid for the brakes, no?

by Anonymousreply 359January 13, 2020 5:55 PM

R356 CR’s criteria for car reliability is not foolproof either, and I speak as a big fan of CR in general. For CR reliability is defined as past 12 months and they lump newest year cars with older models and do so with limited ways of controlling for variables. The algorithm is still weighted heavily for new cars thus not a foolproof method, so it’s informative but unfortunately not as reliable a survey as people believe.

Get the opinions of at least 2-3 mechanics. Another thing that mechanics will tell you is to keep track of cars on the road, what types, brands, and models that are still being driven as a general gauge of reliability. Notice not just new cars but older cars around 8 years old or more. However keep in mind that automakers redesign models every few years, you want to find a balance between automakers that do that in order to sell themselves as cutting edge and automakers that do that after careful R&D considerations. There are going to be companies like Kia or Hyundai whose main selling points are interior tech bells and whistles (which are great) as opposed to what’s under the hood.

by Anonymousreply 360January 13, 2020 6:10 PM

A friend of mine had an older RAV-4 and someone in his family died and left him something like $30M. I was waiting to see what car he'd drive up in. Surprise. It was the same old RAV-4, but completely detailed and made to look new.

by Anonymousreply 361January 13, 2020 6:12 PM

Micah has no problems with gaybaiting. In one of his previous videos, he joked about doing shirtless reviews for his thirsty viewers if he can get enough followers.

by Anonymousreply 362January 13, 2020 6:36 PM

The RAV4 looks so cheap and plastic-y. I'm conservative with my money, but it would be soul-crushing for me to drive around in something that basic. At least the Camry and Accord at least try to look nice.

The RAV looks like something a morbidly obese person would ride down the aisles of Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 363January 13, 2020 8:04 PM

R351 - thanks for input! Great info.

by Anonymousreply 364January 13, 2020 8:45 PM

He’s not heterosexual

by Anonymousreply 365January 13, 2020 9:05 PM

Be aware that the Toyota Rav-4 has soft-tex (non-leather) seating surfaces in the upper trims in comparison to the CR-V which has real leather. It may not matter to some but the durability of the fake leather over many years of ownership is something to consider. I have a 2011 Toyota Venza (discontinued in 2015) which has been w/o issue in over 8 years of ownership. I paid 33K for it back then (fully loaded) and for that amount today I would maybe get a mid-level CR-V/Rav-4 - no thanks. I have a V6 engine, panoramic roof, leather seating and a 14 speaker JBL audio system to name just a few options. Plus the CR-V/Rav-4 have all that horrible black cladding covering so much of the exterior giving the car (even the higher trims) a cheap look. That cladding will fade over time and look even worse than it does now. Just take a look at some older compact CUV's and you will see. My car (I consider it a wagon) doesn't have all the latest collision avoidance crap and such but it does provide very reliable and comfortable transportation. Of course the Hyundai Santa Fe is similar size and features to my Venza but the milage is not that good - especially for 38K (Ultimate model w/2.0 Ltr turbo 4).

by Anonymousreply 366January 13, 2020 9:06 PM

I don't care for Doug DeMuro either. I go to Joe for vehicle reviews - Joe Raiti at Raiti's Rides on YT. Here's his review of the award winning Kia Telluride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367January 13, 2020 9:27 PM

I bought a new 2016 Mercedes GLC with every option for $49,500. I negotiated the first 4 ten thousand mile checkups into the deal. One reason I bought it was because my husband had a 1986 Mercedes sedan that was a tank and it lasted over 20 years. The other thing is that it's a 4 cylinder turbo so I get about 28 MPG on long highway trips. I drive a lot so there-sale value is only about $27,000 now. But I drive cars til they're dead so that doesn't bother me. It looks like every other fucking SUV on the road but I love it. I don't think I would have spent that kind of $$$ on a Hyundai or Kia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368January 13, 2020 10:17 PM

Hon r368, a 1986 Mercedes was built to be a family heirloom, your SUV won’t last as long. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 369January 13, 2020 10:29 PM

I know R369. But it'll go 200K.

by Anonymousreply 370January 13, 2020 10:49 PM

I would still like to see Micah Muzio naked.

by Anonymousreply 371January 13, 2020 11:18 PM

I would love to see Micah’s cock.

by Anonymousreply 372January 13, 2020 11:19 PM

R363 I think your description fits more with CR-V drivers, I see a lot of fat basic fraus driving those mommy mobiles. If there's a SUV that screams suburban mom it's the CR-V. Men tend to drive SUVs that are anything but the CR-V, like Forester, RAV4, and CX-5. It's generic looking to boot, one of the most generic looking SUVs out there. For looks and performance I'd go with Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, if I was to go for a compact SUV, for longevity and problem-free driving I'd go for a RAV4 Premium, for a bit of luxury can't go wrong with Lexus RX with the 3.5L V6 engine.

by Anonymousreply 373January 13, 2020 11:35 PM

Has anyone bought a car through Carvana? I really like the idea of avoiding a dealership.

by Anonymousreply 374January 13, 2020 11:52 PM

The suburban soccer mom cliche around here is the Lexus RX. Every other LuluLemon clad venti macchiato sipping blonde ponytail with dark sunglasses and a Yorkie has one. if the kids are in private school, substitute something German.

by Anonymousreply 375January 14, 2020 12:00 AM

R374 I think they only sell vehicles that have been in accidents and/or damaged or heaven forbid salvaged. Please pull a Carfax or similar report before buying. I may be wrong but sine if their prices are too good to be true.

by Anonymousreply 376January 14, 2020 12:04 AM

There's a Telluride parked at my office. For a new vehicle, the design is starting to look dated. It doesn't look like it will age well.

by Anonymousreply 377January 14, 2020 12:15 AM

R373 has very low standards.

by Anonymousreply 378January 14, 2020 12:17 AM

Have you seen the new RAV Prime that's coming out this summer? It looks super sexy. Any ideas on how much it's going to cost? Will it only be offered as a hybrid?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379January 14, 2020 12:27 AM

R378 butthurt over financing an unreliable BMW that he can't afford or crying that he overpaid for Kia or Hyundai piece of junk

by Anonymousreply 380January 14, 2020 12:35 AM

Is the new woman reviewer on KBB, Lyn Woodard, a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 381January 14, 2020 12:37 AM

Carvana doesnt sell damaged cars. They provide the Carfax for every car on their website

by Anonymousreply 382January 14, 2020 12:38 AM

R375 Suburban meaning middle of the middle-class, that's the classic CR-V market, middle-class suburban moms and single women who don't want to drive sedans. Lexus-driving soccer moms are more upper middle-class, they also drive Range Rover, BMW, or top trim CX-5.

R379 the RAV4 Prime does look quite fine. There's no price listed yet but also depends on the trim level you'd like to get. The current Premium model not the hybrid goes for just over $35k with AWD and other options so I'd expect the RAV4 Prime to be more expensive for the same top trim.

The thing with Carfax is that a car can have a "clean" record even if it's been in an accident. Owners of these cars can fix them paying out of pocket so that they can sell it with claims that it's never been accidents. Better to buy CPO that has all the records of maintenance and repairs, and Caravan cars are not competitive with dealerships at all, in fact I find their cars to be slightly overpriced. That said, I do know someone who got a great deal on a 2018 Miata from Carvana, he got it as a play car to drive on the weekends and so far no problems.

by Anonymousreply 383January 14, 2020 1:12 AM

[quote]I would still like to see Micah Muzio naked.

I think he is boyishly charming but seeing him naked would be disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 384January 14, 2020 1:20 AM

R383, suburban meaning outside of an urban area. That can still be upper-middle-class you know. I understand the other cliches. Which is why I also mentioned them. If I saw a dude driving a Lexus RX, I would assume he'd borrowed his wife's car, that's how entrenched they are here.

by Anonymousreply 385January 14, 2020 1:25 AM

Lest we forget, the delicious Dave Erickson of Everyman Driver...yes, he’s straight. But he has the best body and competes in Iron Man competitions...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386January 14, 2020 1:36 AM

My former neighbor paid more for his CR-V than I paid for my GLC. He thinks he got a good deal on it.

by Anonymousreply 387January 14, 2020 3:20 AM

The CRV always makes me wonder if it was designed by someone who owns a lot of Georgia O'Keeffe prints.

by Anonymousreply 388January 14, 2020 3:22 AM

Off topic but I've always wondered. What makes this truck worth $130K? It's so fucking ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389January 14, 2020 10:56 AM

Don't you guys have Suzuki's and Mitsubishi's in USA? What about Mazdas? The best looking cars today, in my opinion

by Anonymousreply 390January 14, 2020 1:15 PM

A number of Japanese brands are almost no longer in the American market: Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Isuzu. I'm wondering who's next.

by Anonymousreply 391January 14, 2020 1:17 PM

Nissan's prospects aren't looking too good.

by Anonymousreply 392January 14, 2020 2:43 PM

Nissan’s error was partnering with Renault, aka French Fiat. Shitty workmanship and reliability issues. No surprise to me that Nissan is no longer part of the troika of Japanese automotive excellence with Honda and Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 393January 14, 2020 3:10 PM

RAV4 Prime looks nice - but I wouldn’t pay an extra $10k+ for all those bells and whistles. I actually am leaning towards CRV - storage capacity is much better and they are coming out with a hybrid in the next few months. I honestly don’t care about looks. Made that mistake with my first car at 30. Now at 50, I juts want practical, long lasting, good MPG, reliable. Yeah, maybe I’m turning into a suburban momfrau.

by Anonymousreply 394January 14, 2020 3:25 PM

Ugh - douchebag rich kids R389

by Anonymousreply 395January 14, 2020 3:32 PM

I was recently in South America and was amazed at all of the brands and models that were on the road there that are not sold in the US. It's somewhat disconcerting when you use Uber and it tells you the driver will be arriving in a "Chevrolet SPIN." I had no idea what to expect!

by Anonymousreply 396January 14, 2020 3:47 PM

R396 they sell stripped down vehicles in countries that are poor and have no laws about safety. Otherwise no one would be able to afford a new car. I think Mexico was still making the Beetle until 2003!

by Anonymousreply 397January 14, 2020 4:06 PM

R394 if you really want the CR-V then get the hybrid because the 1.5L turbo engine is too small and underpowered for a car that size. Turbocharged engines are inherently not synonymous with longevity, and Honda’s 1.5L turbocharged engine introduced in CR-V in 2017 hasn’t proven itself in durability yet. In fact far from it with the oil dilution problems (due to turbo design) that Honda insists are now fixed with just putting in OW-20 oil. I do love the CR-V storage capacity which is a big selling point for me and many others, if it weren’t for the engine, Honda’s response to the problems, and the generic exterior, I’d probably consider buying it too.

When I test drove the CR-V at two separate dealerships, I encountered the same selling point from the salesperson. I was told that Honda was better than Toyota because “Honda never allows their cars to be used as rental cars”. Which is an odd selling point because I’ve driven an Infinity rental from Enterprise, and Honda owns Infinity. I’ve also driven Land Rover, Range Rover, BMW, Toyota models among others as rental cars, don’t think that’s a criteria for a carmaker being better.

by Anonymousreply 398January 14, 2020 5:20 PM

Sorry I meant to say I’ve driven Acura (not Infinity) rental before, and Acura is owned by Honda

by Anonymousreply 399January 14, 2020 5:49 PM

Why do people buy a compact SUV instead of a sedan? I saw a ton of Honda CR-Vs on the road today and they are TINY. What's the point? A sedan has just as much room and storage capacity than these tinker toys, and they are nicer on the inside and ride better.

I saw a brand new Accord in this "still night pearl" blue color today and its was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 14, 2020 8:49 PM

oh, R398 The wrath of a thousand spurned queens was about to unload at your doorstep.

by Anonymousreply 401January 14, 2020 9:15 PM

R400 unfortunately most sedans aren’t AWD which is a must in the North East. I wish there was a Camry AWD V6.

by Anonymousreply 402January 14, 2020 10:23 PM

The right thing to buy is something low to the ground and AWD is A WAGON. Get with it, people! Functions like an SUV AND a sports car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403January 14, 2020 11:42 PM

I was Uber’s in a Hyundai Kona...disappointing to say the least...the materials are old school Hyundai, which is not a good thing. And the ride was brittle and harsh.

by Anonymousreply 404January 14, 2020 11:43 PM

I meant Uber’d....

by Anonymousreply 405January 14, 2020 11:47 PM

I wish wagons are popular here in the US like they are in Europe and Japan. I think SUVs are so popular in the US is because Americans are getting fatter and fatter, so that people don't fit in sedans and hatchbacks anymore. Now if you want to buy a wagon there are only few choices here, with half of them VW and Volvo it seems, so thanks but no thanks. I do have friend who drives a Subaru Impreza that she likes.

I love the look of these vintage Mercedes wagons that a shop in Japan has been retrofitting. The checkered fabric seats are to die for....or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 15, 2020 2:06 AM

The SUV driving position bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 407January 15, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote] I think SUVs are so popular in the US is because Americans are getting fatter and fatter

A common complaint about sedans is that they're difficult to get in and out of. Being able to slide in sideways instead of lowering or raising one's body seems important to a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 408January 15, 2020 3:56 AM

Maybe if you have to put a baby or toddler in the car all the time, it's easier if the car sits higher, R408? You don't have to bend over as much.

The other reason I think people like SUVs and crossovers is that they sit higher above the road, which is good for visibility. With so many trucks and SUVs on the highway, sometimes I feel like I'm driving blind in a ditch in my Camry.

by Anonymousreply 409January 15, 2020 4:02 AM

Just unveiled in its final form. Looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410January 15, 2020 5:17 AM

Kia Telluride lighting system

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411January 15, 2020 11:01 AM

Fat cars help make fat people.

by Anonymousreply 412January 15, 2020 12:21 PM

My brother is dying for a Telluride or a Palisade. I don't think the design will look as cool in a few years. Car design seems to be moving in a totally fresh direction.

by Anonymousreply 413January 15, 2020 4:04 PM

The new Genesis SUV goes on sale today... I can’t post photos on Datalounge for some reason, but google “Genesis GV80” and you’ll see it.

by Anonymousreply 414January 15, 2020 4:12 PM

I really want a Kia Stinger GT (the fast one) but they are priced too high in my opinion. $40k plus befor options!

by Anonymousreply 415January 15, 2020 4:15 PM

The GV80 is cool looking. Would choose that over Land Rover. Of course, I would never spend that kind of money on a depreciating asset - but theoretically.

by Anonymousreply 416January 15, 2020 4:28 PM

Fascinating thread about the middle class and their low-brow vehicle choices.

by Anonymousreply 417January 15, 2020 4:36 PM

Yesterday's livestream. Very cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418January 15, 2020 4:42 PM

From the video: "A gentleman's back is what makes hearts beat, wouldn't you agree?"

That's a lovely shout-out.

by Anonymousreply 419January 15, 2020 4:56 PM

I'm becoming a fanboy now lol. Can't afford it yet, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420January 15, 2020 4:58 PM

Never buy any new car during its introductory year wait 2 years and let the manufacturers fix all the bugs. All the new tech in cars make them more prone to break down.

by Anonymousreply 421January 15, 2020 5:28 PM

Odd that America’s Big Three have totally given up on sedans, but foreign carmakers have doubled down on them. Reminds me of the old Betty Wright song, “Clean-up Woman”.

by Anonymousreply 422January 15, 2020 7:06 PM

The Subaru Outback is officially classified as a "wagon," even though it doesn't appear to be anything other than an SUV. I guess since it shares many features and a platform with the Legacy, it's a wagon version of that model. (The Forester is considered Subaru's SUV in that size range.)

by Anonymousreply 423January 15, 2020 8:11 PM

Looks a little like a Volvo to me. Not enough to make me give up my Japanese SUV.

by Anonymousreply 424January 15, 2020 9:20 PM

I don't like SUVs at all. I have a Dodge Magnum that I love, and I will hold on to this car as long as I can.

by Anonymousreply 425January 15, 2020 10:11 PM

The Subaru Outback is definitely a wagon. I think the Forrester is too. The only reason I go for compact SUV instead of a wagon is the storage capacity - big difference between an Outback and a Honda CRV

by Anonymousreply 426January 15, 2020 10:15 PM

I had the original ('97) Honda CR-V and now I have an '18 Outback. They're more similar than they are different.

by Anonymousreply 427January 15, 2020 10:25 PM

The new Genesis, Telluride, and Palisade all sound nice, but there's no way on earth I'd ever buy a three-row SUV.

by Anonymousreply 428January 15, 2020 10:26 PM

My car (Subaru) just got totaled. 🤣 I’m so happy to be free of that shitty car!!!

by Anonymousreply 429January 15, 2020 10:32 PM

R429 Congratulations! That was exactly how I felt after my shitty Volvo S60 was written off by my insurance company after some jackass did a hit and run into it while I was driving. In hindsight that idiot did me a huge favor.

by Anonymousreply 430January 15, 2020 11:50 PM

Thanks r430, some woman rear ended me and damaged the structure! Thank GOD for them driving around on their phones!

by Anonymousreply 431January 16, 2020 12:03 AM

Subaru was so hyped like 2 years ago - so reliable, great resale value. Sounds like people here aren’t fans. I was looking at Outbacks - because they are more hip than the Toyota or Honda’s. But now I’m back to Toyota and Honda’s - RAV4 and CRV.

CRV has 50% more storage space than an Outback.

by Anonymousreply 432January 16, 2020 1:25 AM

I’m going to see the Tucson on Saturday. I considered the RAV4, but I kind of want a safer car. But the Tucson could have better MPG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433January 16, 2020 1:41 AM

Sorry meant to quote:

Crash-test wise, the Tucson is the safer option. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) named the Tucson a Top Safety Pick. The RAV4 missed out on the designation due to its “Marginal” headlights.

by Anonymousreply 434January 16, 2020 1:41 AM

The RAV4 looks like Grumpy Cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 16, 2020 1:44 AM

Interior of the new Genesis SUV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436January 16, 2020 1:54 AM

The difference in price between Tucson and RAV4 seems misleading. An extra $1-2k upfront -but repairs are supposedly much less. And RAV4 saves a lot on gas. Weird how RAV4 also has more space - even though it seems smaller and slicker.

by Anonymousreply 437January 16, 2020 2:13 AM

Yeah, but I think have to opt for greater safety, R437. Where is it reported that fewer repairs occur with the Toyota?

by Anonymousreply 438January 16, 2020 2:16 AM

The one thing I'd go for (but then I'm an eldergay) is ALL of the available safety technology: lane departure warning, lane keeping, forward collision warning, pedestrian detection, rear monitoring, drowsy driver alerts, adaptive cruise control, emergency response system, smart headlights, etc. You may need to find the top-of-the-line for your chosen model, and some manufacturers don't offer all of these systems on any of their vehicles. Do your research.

by Anonymousreply 439January 16, 2020 2:21 AM

Repairs:

RAV4: $759

Tucson: $209

Is Motor Trend reputable? The article is very extensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440January 16, 2020 2:22 AM

The Toyota Sensing Suite safety system is supposed to be top notch. I think it may be better than Hyundai.

by Anonymousreply 441January 16, 2020 2:35 AM

When I dumped my crappy Caddy whose repair bills were bankrupting me, I knew I would miss all the new technology. Adaptive cruise control (love this), auto, braking both front and rear (big deal for me in parking lots) and I have none of that in my 2010 Lexus SUV which cost more than the 2014 Caddy and has major blind spots...but will not cost me much more than oil changes for the rest of my life I can't afford to play around with new cars but I like the RAV4 esp since you can really take it off road now which Lexus can't do and all the new tech stuff that's out there now. Toyota Rules.

by Anonymousreply 442January 16, 2020 2:39 AM

Yeah - and the RAV4 Prime looks kinda cool. The new Honda CRV Hybrid is intriguing - but not sure I trust it in its first year. And seems like Toyota has the hybrid thing down.after years of the Prius.

by Anonymousreply 443January 16, 2020 2:45 AM

I'm scared to get a hybrid because I'm afraid it will run up my electricity bill or burn down my house from a power surge. It scares me.

by Anonymousreply 444January 16, 2020 3:18 AM

The basic hybrids don’t plug in. They use the electricity generated while driving. Valuable if you do a lot of local driving (strangely they are more efficient in stop n go traffic - because the braking creates electricity.)

by Anonymousreply 445January 16, 2020 4:09 AM

R434 Adaptive headlights is an option too for most Toyota models. The adaptive headlights option takes it to highest safety pick, it's the same thing for the Corolla I'd just bought.

R435 The "aggressive" front grill is what sets it off from generic SUVs, the front lights when dark look especially menacing. Anyways the front grills of the new generation RAV4 have been described as Stormtrooper-like, making it even more cool IMO.

R439 For under $30k car, Toyota really gives the best values when it comes to safety features that come standard as opposed to options. My 2020 Corolla XSE hatchback (looks great with new design) comes standard with all of the features you'd mentioned except for drowsy driver alert. I really like the blindspot monitoring that makes lane changes much safer. I had to pay extra for option of adaptive headlights. Toyota safety and reliability is such that I didn't mind putting half down and financing the other half, total came out to be around $26k after options and taxes. My monthly payment is so cheap plus I'm paying the car off within 36 months. At this point in my life I'd rather save money or have extras for traveling. But I also want a reliable commuter car with low upkeep cost to last me for a few years. My mechanic cousin says the next 10 years auto technology will likely take another big leap forward, and current technology will somehow look lagging by that time. So it's best to not splurge right now, instead get a decent ride now then wait a few more years then buy something really kickass.

I almost pulled the trigger on the top trim 2020 RAV4 hybrid, but didn't because I want to wait for the RAV4 Prime in a few years. I was tempted because Toyota is offering all 2020 hybrid models new warrantees for batteries, 10 years/ 150k miles instead of the former 8 years/ 100k miles. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger because the RAV4 Prime has great specs and looks.

by Anonymousreply 446January 16, 2020 4:56 AM

The add ons for the RAV4 hybrid get it to $32k easily, The Honda CRV - which has great safety features too, equal to Toyota - gives a lot of good stuff basic making it closer to $28k.

The Prime plug-in option isn’t that exciting to me. Installing and setting up a plug seems complicated and potentialy expensive. I would probably just stick with the basic RAV4 Hybrid. Likely cheaper too,

by Anonymousreply 447January 16, 2020 5:09 AM

I like that the cost of repairs is low for the Tucson, and the long warranty.

I’m sure the RAV4 is great but its design is a bit too wild for me. Not that the design isn’t good — it’s just too out there for my pedestrian tastes.

I’m outright averse to Hondas due to their reliability ratings having plummeted. Acuras included. I don’t know what’s going on with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448January 16, 2020 6:14 AM

CR’s reliability ratings are released every Feb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449January 16, 2020 6:22 AM

“Nothing feels like the first time.”

🤤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450January 16, 2020 6:38 AM

R444 Mary! The RAV4 Optimus Prime has not come to burn down your house.

by Anonymousreply 451January 16, 2020 8:04 AM

First-drive reviews out. It’s overall excellent apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452January 17, 2020 12:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453January 17, 2020 12:16 AM

Really, when Rolls-Royce and Bentley put out SUVs, isn't the concept getting kind of done? I think we should all go back to driving updated, reliable replicas of all the cool cars you could buy in the 50s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454January 17, 2020 12:24 AM

I don't think anyone today wants tail fins, fender skirts, wrap around windshields, and acres of chrome.

by Anonymousreply 455January 17, 2020 12:39 AM

R455 is blithely unaware of the Chinese market.

by Anonymousreply 456January 17, 2020 12:51 AM

[quote]I don't think anyone today wants tail fins, fender skirts, wrap around windshields, and acres of chrome.

I do! If it had backup cameras so I wouldn't accidentally spear somebody.

by Anonymousreply 457January 17, 2020 1:45 AM

I’d like to see what Micah Muzio has to say about the Genesis SUV. Then I’d suck his balls.

by Anonymousreply 458January 17, 2020 9:57 AM

Micah also does reviews on his own channel apart from Kelly Blue Book but I don't watch it since he usually has his frumpy wife in the car who I find annoying.

by Anonymousreply 459January 17, 2020 10:38 AM

R459. I agree. Looking at the wife makes me think he’s not opposed to cock. Of course his wife looks like a younger version of his mom. Which is a whole other issue.

by Anonymousreply 460January 17, 2020 11:19 AM

R455 Speak for yourself. Love older American cars. Own one from the 1930s. Everyone is raving about Japanese quality, but again, another recall of 700,000 cars yesterday. It seems that nobody learned anything from the Takata air bag lesson. Asian manufacturers will protect their home markets and invade foreign markets, undercutting domestic manufacturers until they capture the market. Then the "quality creep" starts, where the quality of the product continuously declines to extract the maximum profit since there is no longer domestic competition.

by Anonymousreply 461January 17, 2020 2:18 PM

R461, that whole protection thing is over in Korea. They can't get enough luxury cars.

It's just that middle class Koreans (and most others in wealthy markets outside America, I bet) aren't going to buy a Ford or Chevy. The brands just ... I mean you know how the word sees American cars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462January 17, 2020 2:34 PM

Dave Erikson is hot but fundie Trump Supporter.

by Anonymousreply 463January 18, 2020 10:41 PM

We need a new vehicle upon our return to the US. We have a maxia of $25,000 to spend ! Please recommend

by Anonymousreply 464January 19, 2020 3:30 AM

If you’re “returning” you probably aren’t purely focused on a form of SUV like 90% of Americans. Your options for normal sedans are much better under $25k. Honda Accords or HRVs are simple, reliable, good MPG cars. Toyota Camry is another popular choice.

by Anonymousreply 465January 19, 2020 3:46 AM

R464, this is from Consumer Reports. They bought the car so company couldn’t influence them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466January 19, 2020 4:32 AM

[quote]I'm scared to get a hybrid because I'm afraid it will run up my electricity bill or burn down my house

As opposed to storing a tank of highly flammable liquid in your garage?

by Anonymousreply 467January 19, 2020 1:04 PM

I hear conflicting reports about Hyundai. Seem like nice cars and get some good reviews. But DL doesn’t seem to like them. All about Toyota.

I’m surprised how Subaru fell out of favor. 2 years ago it had one of the highest resale values. Though I like the look, it is really small for what you pay.

I’m looking for used cars - shocked at huge disparity between a 3 year old Ford Escape vs Toyota RAV4/Honda CRV. Seems like if you buy Toyota or Honda, you should just buy new - the discount for used cars with 30-40k miles isn’t that big. At least Ford you can get for $15-16k.

by Anonymousreply 468January 19, 2020 3:03 PM

Hyundai, Kia and Genisis all have tons of features the other car makers charge extra for - and offer value for the money - but....reliability. Yes they offer long warranties but if your car suddenly dies in the middle of an intersection that long warranty does nothing.

by Anonymousreply 469January 19, 2020 3:25 PM

I had a 2009 Hyundai Sonata ... it was quite reliable.

I'd consider the Genesis once they come out with a smaller version of that new SUV. There's no way I need a three-row gas-guzzler.

by Anonymousreply 470January 19, 2020 4:44 PM

Yeah Genesis has a smaller SUV coming very soon.

This guy is cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471January 19, 2020 6:38 PM

The 2020 Sonata looks good. Nice price point. If it doesn't have CVT I'm in. Hate CVT.

by Anonymousreply 472January 19, 2020 7:41 PM

R472 I know right? The CVT is putting me off but I’m still going to test drive it. I have a Camry rental at the moment. It’s the base trim but it really feels well put together... and it has an 8 speed auto.

by Anonymousreply 473January 19, 2020 8:11 PM

Does CVT drive differently? For a car-clueless person, how do you tell the difference?

by Anonymousreply 474January 19, 2020 8:15 PM

R474, it kind of drones on and even when they try to make it mimic an auto, it just feels odd. I’m so glad my Subaru got totaled. No more CVTs for me. Unless they magically make one that performs like an Auto. I understand they are cheaper but they ruin the driving experience.

by Anonymousreply 475January 19, 2020 8:20 PM

Sonata has a traditional 8 speed auto. The N-Line will have a DCT.

by Anonymousreply 476January 19, 2020 9:58 PM

The CVT is like a boat engine. It doesn't shift.

by Anonymousreply 477January 19, 2020 10:38 PM

You can use paddle shifters on a CVT but it's really not the same though you can redline it and then shift up. But give me a nice smooth shifting automatic every day.

by Anonymousreply 478January 19, 2020 10:40 PM

Auto makers put fake shift points in most CVTs to make it feel like a traditional automatic. The one I have in my car mimics a traditional automatic. It has paddle shifters too, but the only time I've ever used them is when I want the CVT to stay in a lower "gear" when going down long grades so I don't have to brake so often.

Do electric cars have transmissions?

by Anonymousreply 479January 19, 2020 10:50 PM

Camry vs. Sonata

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480January 19, 2020 10:51 PM

R468, I don’t know where you’re looking, but I just priced out a new 2020 RAV4 LE with basic options – nothing fancy – at $29,300. At Carmax in my area, 2019 RAV4s with less than 20,000 miles price out at $21-22,000. That’s a pretty big discount, and you get a car that’s new in all but name.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the drop-off in price was even bigger for American cars – that’s been true for decades – but you still benefit quite a bit by going for a barely used Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 481January 19, 2020 11:43 PM

I couldn’t find any 2019 RAV4s and the 2016 RAV4s with 40,000 miles were $22-23k. In NJ. I’ll check out Carmax.

by Anonymousreply 482January 20, 2020 12:29 AM

The new RAV4 is a much larger car than its predecessors.

It was completely redesigned.

by Anonymousreply 483January 20, 2020 12:33 AM

Get the G70, person who’s looking for a sedan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484January 20, 2020 2:26 AM

r484 the g70 is the kia stinger gt2 wearing genisis clothes.

by Anonymousreply 485January 20, 2020 2:42 AM

Search for cars on autotempest.com

by Anonymousreply 486January 20, 2020 3:31 AM

Just got a new Lincoln Aviator last week. Fantastic car.

by Anonymousreply 487January 21, 2020 10:22 PM

The Aviator is cool. Not crazy about the display screen sitting on the dashboard. It's not a Tesla.

by Anonymousreply 488January 21, 2020 10:36 PM

Good for you, R487 - Congrats!

by Anonymousreply 489January 21, 2020 11:45 PM

Trying to decide between a Lincoln Continental and a Chrysler 300. The 300 has been around a long time, and is a proven design. I currently have a Magnum with near 200,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Plan to keep it as they are becoming collector cars. I also like the Continental. I think the deciding point will be the headroom in each, and if I have enough headroom for a sunroof.

by Anonymousreply 490January 22, 2020 2:48 AM

Trying to decide between a Lincoln Continental and a Chrysler 300. The 300 has been around a long time, and is a proven design. I currently have a Magnum with near 200,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Plan to keep it as they are becoming collector cars. I also like the Continental. I think the deciding point will be the headroom in each, and if I have enough headroom for a sunroof.

by Anonymousreply 491January 22, 2020 2:48 AM

Yuri is another cute reviewer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492January 22, 2020 4:01 AM

R492 I like The Straight Pipes too but I've always felt Yuri is trolling his gay viewers or is bisexual with his rainbow outfits.

by Anonymousreply 493January 22, 2020 10:26 AM

Do those two fuck after each show?

by Anonymousreply 494January 22, 2020 11:30 AM

[quote] I currently have a Magnum with near 200,000 miles with absolutely no problems.

Wow -- that's a lot of use to get out of one condom! (Even if it is a supersized one.)

by Anonymousreply 495January 22, 2020 1:01 PM

[quote]the g70 is the kia stinger gt2 wearing genisis clothes.

Not quite. They share the same platform and engines but the G70 has a much shorter wheelbase and correspondingly smaller interior. Room up front is fine but the back seat is kinda cramped and best for short trips only.

by Anonymousreply 496January 22, 2020 4:53 PM

R493 James from Throttle House is my car YouTube crush. Car YouTube is infinitely better than Gay YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497January 23, 2020 3:39 PM

Saw a really cool looking new RAV4 today. Who knew it could look so click. Now that I’m looking for cars, I find I’m obsessed with all the cars I see. It’s amazing how many look exactly the same though. Kia seems to be the only one who really breaks the mold with their boxy cars. But they are so small.

by Anonymousreply 498January 23, 2020 3:47 PM

The Camry is a nice, boring, safe car. I'm fine with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499January 23, 2020 3:54 PM

Just picked up a 2017 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD 3.5t - it was the prestige trim level with add ons. 24K out the door, with 3 years 36K miles left on the warranty - which covers everything - all maint except for tires. I was interested in a Kia Stinger GT but drove this and holy shit, for 18 grand less I get a better warranty, (IMHO) a better car and equal features. I will keep it three years and trade it in. Fuck this is nice car, got to love shitty residual value!

by Anonymousreply 500January 25, 2020 12:08 AM

Good for you, R500!

by Anonymousreply 501January 25, 2020 12:13 AM

New Genesis GV80

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502February 11, 2020 10:53 PM

I have a top-of-the-line Kia Niro EV. The car is pretty ordinary to look at, but it's an electric SUV with lots of great features, and goes for almost 280 miles on a full charge. With all the extras, including delivery to Hawaii, it was about 50K. Very happy with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503February 11, 2020 11:08 PM

Nice job, Genesis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504February 18, 2020 3:26 AM

Free maintenance for the first three years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505February 18, 2020 3:28 AM

Genesis topped the 2020 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ratings last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506February 18, 2020 3:31 AM

After all of the conversation about Oriental cars, has anyone noticed a small blurb in the news today? GM has announced that they are ceasing operations in Australia and several other countries where operations have not been profitable. GM joins Ford, Chrysler, the old British Leyland combine from leaving Australia due to competition from the east. The Holden, "Australia's Own Car," is going out of production. This is typical of the tactics of the oriental car makers, Korea and Japan, where they will invade a market and undersell the domestic manufacturers until they run them out of business. One the home front, while they claim free trade, societal forces are brought to bear on anyone who doesn't buy a Japanese or Korean product. Also, while Japanese and Korean manufacturers can set up shop in the United States, always in areas that are depressed in order to avoid labor unions, US manufacturers cannot own a facility in their countries. Any assembly or manufacturing operation has to have majority local ownership, and US interests can only own a minority interest. Next, once they have killed off the domestic manufacturers, we start seeing "quality creep" enter in on the scene. Once there is no domestic industry to compete against, the quality of the product starts to slip to increase profits. Don't think this is possible? How about with airbags? They were invented by a division of Morton Salt Co. called Morton Thiokol. Takata of Japan came on the scene, undercut the domestic manufacturer and put them out of business, and got the entire airbag market. Some great quality products they have been fobbing off on us, aren't they? The oriental car you buy today may be fine, but please remember that it is a product of unfair trade practices, i.e., holding up their domestic prices while keeping out foreign competition at home, and secondly, only starting factories in non-union areas, assembling (note: Not manufacturing!) cars with the minimal domestic content to qualify to be called assembled in USA. You may think you're getting a deal now, but wait and see what the market will be after the domestic manufacturers are run out of business.

by Anonymousreply 507February 18, 2020 3:40 AM

[quote]Free maintenance for the first three years.

Well, that's meaningless. Most new cars don't need anything but an oil change and tire rotation in the first 3 years anyway.

by Anonymousreply 508February 18, 2020 3:44 AM

R507, what planet are you living on? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 509February 18, 2020 5:23 AM

Their new HQ is crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510February 18, 2020 5:26 AM

R507 has spent too much time in the Outback under a hot sun.

by Anonymousreply 511February 18, 2020 2:41 PM

R509 r511. I live on earth. I don't know a damn thing about it, having retired from 40 years working in international trade in both private and government sectors. I've visited their factories, both here and overseas, met with their executives, and have seen multiple examples of this going on in many industries. Remember when Zenith, Motorola, RCA, Magnavox and others were all big electronics manufacturers in the United States, providing thousands of jobs? Thank you Japan for all of the empty factory buildings. I strongly suggest you guys start getting your head out of the sand and realize the attacks being made on American manufacturers.

by Anonymousreply 512February 18, 2020 3:28 PM

r507 After all of the conversation about Oriental cars - Oh Dear!

by Anonymousreply 513February 20, 2020 12:30 AM

R507 is a racist posting from the 1960s. You're a little too late.

by Anonymousreply 514February 20, 2020 1:12 AM

R514 I realize that calling someone racist in this day and age is a very quick and common way of dismissing someone you don't agree with, but how does "being racist" address any of the facts outlined in this complaint about the rapacity of these car manufacturers? And, can you be racist against a manufacturer, or group of manufacturers?

by Anonymousreply 515February 20, 2020 4:08 AM

R151 No one has forced people to buy cars from the Asian manufacturers people buy what they feel is in their best interest. Do you want a nicely designed well manufactured reliable vehicles or do you want a poorly engineered shoddily assembled car that will be problematic? American manufacturers and their Assie subsidiaries became complacent and lazy, GM used to say what's good for GM is good for the country. They became lazy and complacent and thought they didn't have to compete by providing a good product they thought people would always buy from them and they owned the market. Your additude reflects this sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 516February 20, 2020 10:23 AM

And how many people have been killed by Takata airbags? And, for your information, the only car ever banned for sale in the USA was the Suburu 360, another stellar example of Japanese engineering and manufacture.

by Anonymousreply 517February 20, 2020 1:32 PM

Subaru has crashed and burned. It was the hot car for years - but I hear nothing but bad things now. Still kinda trendy in my liberal over educated town.

But I think Honda and Toyota are better cars for the money - and better resale value. Plus Honda CR-V has way more space than the Subaru’s and is cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 518February 20, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote]And how many people have been killed by Takata airbags?

Not as many as have been killed by the Chevy Corvair or the Ford Pinto.

by Anonymousreply 519February 20, 2020 2:27 PM

I just got a loaded KIA Telluride. It is a seriously fantastic SUV. Everything the press has been saying about it is true, from the great fit and finish to the incredible technology. My other car is a 2019 MB E class sedan, and in more than a few respects the KIA is the superior vehicle. The start/stop and lane assist tech is smoother in the Telluride. The layout of the cabin is perfectly thought out and it's really a pleasure to drive. The fact that the new KIAs and Hyundai's are superior to their American or Japanese counterparts is kind of startling.

This Car and Driver gallery is of the SX trim package that I purchased, with the same Moss Green exterior and Dune Brown Nappa leather interior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520February 20, 2020 5:22 PM

How much R520 ?

by Anonymousreply 521February 20, 2020 5:38 PM

Congrats R520 I hear they are great and in high demand and the dealerships can't keep the in stock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522February 20, 2020 5:54 PM

Sounds wonderful. I'd consider something like that if it were smaller. I don't need a three-row SUV.

by Anonymousreply 523February 20, 2020 6:39 PM

Ditto R523. And the MPG is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 524February 20, 2020 6:43 PM

Let's see how great it is in three years.

by Anonymousreply 525February 20, 2020 7:20 PM

Subaru, crashed and burned? Does that sound like "quality creep?" Oh, you can't say that, it would be racist.

by Anonymousreply 526February 20, 2020 7:24 PM

Say what you will about Hyundais, I'm currently driving a rental 2020 Santa Fe SUV and it is crap beyond words. It doesn't have ANY of the features mentioned in this thread and the cloth interior can only be described as rat fur. I can't wait to get my own car back.

by Anonymousreply 527February 20, 2020 7:59 PM

R527, rental cars are strippers. Even premium rentals like a Jag are decontented and not what you would actually buy. A rental car is no way to judge a vehicle. Go to a car website and build a Hyundai Santa Fe with all the options and finishes you would like. It would be nothing like what you’re driving, and it would probably be something you’d like. And it’s not Hyundai’s fault. The rental companies are ruthless and demand the cheapest possible vehicles in each category.

To be honest, the best rental cars are Mazda’s. Less decontenting.

by Anonymousreply 528February 20, 2020 11:11 PM

I beg to differ. I find renting a vehicle before buying that model is an excellent way to become familiar with that model. The various bells and whistles are generally irrelevant to me.

by Anonymousreply 529February 21, 2020 12:23 AM

Yes, R529, we disagree, but that could simply be a question of priorities. The things that I look for in a vehicle absent from most rentals are an appropriate amount of sound deadening materials in the body and floor as well as acoustic glass on the windshield and side windows.

Upgraded technology works very differently between manufacturers, and it absence in most rentals doesn’t allow for comparisons.

These issues were less relevant years ago, but now the difference between the entry and fully loaded versions of a car model can be dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 530February 21, 2020 12:33 AM

Can we do a new thread. This one requires me to start from R1 every time. Takes forever. But I like the topic.

I like rental cars as sample drivers. I want to buy a car with minimal options. I hate paying $35,000 for a $29,000 car because of options. I want a $30,000 car that has everything necessary standard. And I don’t need much - safety package is only must have. Sunroof, AWD, sound systems, high tech are all unnecessary. Honda and Toyota are good with providing necessities in their base packages. Not in market for tricked out trendy car with flashy lights and high end hubcaps.

by Anonymousreply 531February 21, 2020 2:17 AM

Genesis. Nice job 👍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532February 21, 2020 7:26 AM

Here's the complete Consumer Reports list of 33 auto manufacturers from most to least reliable. Hyundai and Kia top, among others, Toyota and Honda. Their Genesis division is the 2nd highest rated maker after Porsche. Times change.

1 Porsche

2 Genesis

3 Subaru

4 Mazda

5 Lexus

6 Audi

7 Hyundai

8 BMW

9 KIA

10 Mini

11 Tesla

12 Toyota

13 Lincoln

14 Infiniti

15 Honda

16 Volkswagen

17 Nissan

18 Chrysler

19 Buick

20 Mercedes-Benz

21 Dodge

22 Volvo

23 Ford

24 Acura

25 Chevrolet

26 GMC

27 Alfa Romeo

28 Jaguar

29 Cadillac

30 Land Rover

31 Jeep

32 Mitsubishi

33 Fiat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533February 21, 2020 7:01 PM

odd how Hyundai is lower than genisis, Cadillac lower than GMC - when they are all the same companies. Acura is lower than Honda??

by Anonymousreply 534February 21, 2020 7:23 PM

Lexus is higher than Toyota as well. R534, it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 535February 21, 2020 9:38 PM

I don't take Consumer Reports very seriously. I don't know what basis they use to judge, but their outcomes are far different than mine. One year I purchased a car based on their top recommendation. It was a total piece of shit. Looking at their latest list, some of the cars on the bottom of the list are the ones I am interested in!

by Anonymousreply 536February 22, 2020 12:23 AM

I don't take Consumer Reports very seriously. I don't know what basis they use to judge, but their outcomes are far different than mine. One year I purchased a car based on their top recommendation. It was a total piece of shit. Looking at their latest list, some of the cars on the bottom of the list are the ones I am interested in!

by Anonymousreply 537February 22, 2020 12:23 AM

Meh I have a Jag. It is my third. Other than regular maint I have had zero problems with all three and with the new one all maint is included for 5 years. I have not had a quality issue at all and will keep buying jags until I do.

by Anonymousreply 538February 22, 2020 12:33 AM

What do the engineers at JD Power know, either. They say Genesis is #1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539February 22, 2020 12:34 AM

See the list at R533.

Chrysler is ranked 18. Dodge is 21. The Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger Dodge Challenger share the same platform and are both made at the Brampton, Ontario plant.

The Chrysler Pacifica and the Dodge Caravan, while not on the same platform, are both assembled at the Windsor, Ontario plant.

How can the same basic vehicle made in the same plant be better/worse than any other vehicle out of the same plant?

by Anonymousreply 540February 22, 2020 12:39 AM

I’ve never seen Kia and Hyundai ranked above Toyota and Honda. Weird. Maybe I need to look at them.

by Anonymousreply 541February 22, 2020 12:46 AM

I wish the Telluride has this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542February 22, 2020 12:54 AM

r542 Since they're made by the same manufacturer, future iterations probably will.

by Anonymousreply 543February 22, 2020 1:18 AM

R540 Just like I said. Dodge is rated on the low end. My 2007 Charger now has 118,000 miles on it with nothing but regular maintenance. Car before, 1995 Dodge, 268,000 miles and I wound up selling it to a mechanic at the dealer when I bought the 2007. So much for Consumer Reports and JD Power.

by Anonymousreply 544February 22, 2020 1:19 AM

“Yeah, expertise is all BS. Screw Consumer Reports and JD Power. It’s all a BS conspiracy.“

Sounds like Cheeto and his cult.

by Anonymousreply 545February 22, 2020 1:31 AM

If your brands from the same plant have inconsistent quality in relation to each other, I that in itself is a huge quality issue. Thus Chrysler and Dodge.

I studied operations in business school. This is a pretty typical operations case. Inconsistent output across production lines, even from the same plant. The issue is variability in methods of quality control, and/or their application on the factory floor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546February 22, 2020 1:40 AM

I have no faith in JD Power - because they are used so much in car ads.

by Anonymousreply 547February 22, 2020 1:43 AM

JD power ranks initial quality. Meaning how you feel about the fit and finish of the car when you first get it. Let's be honest. If you paid 60K for a Hyundai you, of course, are going to rave about the quality. If you paid 80K for a jag and you see a seam not 100% straight then yeah you are going to bitch.

by Anonymousreply 548February 22, 2020 6:35 PM

Read through the whole thread, there are links to articles that show what auto-savvy people already know, JD Power is an auto industry shill. It's laughable to see people who love Hyundai take the rankings so seriously like gospel. Seriously, if you say your car model is the best according to JD Power, you'll be laughed off the stage by any self-respecting auto mechanic or enthusiast. Hyundai and Kia are two of the biggest offenders in the JD Power ranking scam. For those who don't know, automakers pay JD Power to produce tests and rankings that show their cars to be at top of the list. I personally don't trust car manufacturers who use JD Power services so flagrantly. FWIW some automakers don't participate as much if at all, Toyota being one of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549February 23, 2020 5:40 PM

As a fan of CR in general, I'm not as big of a fan when it comes to their car rankings. Here an article that lists some reasons why. CR rankings also favors new models (less than 2 years) while conferring upon it reliability ratings, which is rather shortsighted because what newer model car isn't reliable unless it's a total lemon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550February 23, 2020 5:46 PM

The reviews for the Telluride continue to be over the top raves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551February 23, 2020 6:21 PM

Yeah - I’ll wait 3 years and see how well the Tellirides are ranked,

by Anonymousreply 552February 23, 2020 10:14 PM

Telluride named Motor Trend and CR best mid-size SUV.

by Anonymousreply 553February 23, 2020 11:37 PM

Wonder how much that cost them.....

by Anonymousreply 554February 24, 2020 12:33 AM

Ford would have been happy to pay any price to cover up the botched introduction of the new Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. The fact that the Telluride beat The Aviator for every SUV of the year award isn’t something that KIA could buy.

by Anonymousreply 555February 24, 2020 12:40 AM

Telluride is a full sized SUV I thought.

by Anonymousreply 556February 24, 2020 2:08 AM

Telluride is a large mid-size SUV.

by Anonymousreply 557February 25, 2020 12:58 PM

Am I the only one who suddenly has a slew of Hyundai and Kia ads on my Facebook page since reading this thread?

by Anonymousreply 558February 25, 2020 1:16 PM

To me, the Telluride already looks outdated. The rear lights are positioned so low that it looks like a droopy butt.

by Anonymousreply 559February 25, 2020 1:23 PM

Went to look at Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 this weekend. - only decent under $30k SUVs I could find. How depressing - they both feel cheap. It is insane how expensive cars are. How do average Americans afford a car?

Seems like 80% of the cars I see in my middle class community are less than 5 years old SUVs, Subaru’s or $30k+ cars. How can these people afford it? Even used cars with a lot of miles are $15k. That is a huge expense for a middle class family. Makes me very grateful I don’t NEED one as I can use public transit.

by Anonymousreply 560February 25, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote]How do average Americans afford a car?

It's a mystery to me as well. On a regular basis I'll see some especially trashy looking suburban specimen lumbering towards his or her vehicle in a parking lot and try to predict which car they'll get into and am always surprised to see them drive off in a brand new Audi or BMW SUV. These are people who by the looks of them don't appear to have two cents to rub together.

by Anonymousreply 561February 25, 2020 2:47 PM

Sounds like some of you could use a sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 562February 25, 2020 3:10 PM

R561 Car loans give you there option of 60-72 months which means you will be paying a huge amount of interest on the loans. For some it is the only way they can afford to buy a new car.

by Anonymousreply 563February 25, 2020 6:15 PM

It may be that the aforementioned Audi and BMW drivers lease rather than purchase but I understand that leasing requires excellent credit.

by Anonymousreply 564February 25, 2020 6:20 PM

And the other thing with leasing is it requires a big up front payment - which I would be surprised if these credit card queens have. I’m guessing there are a lot of junk-bond type car loans floating around out there which we will hear about when the bottom falls out again.

by Anonymousreply 565February 25, 2020 7:42 PM

"I’m guessing there are a lot of junk-bond type car loans floating around out there which we will hear about when the bottom falls out again."

A friend of mine works for a credit union told me the institution had written off their entire portfolio of subprime car loans and exited the market, writing off millions of dollars in nonperforming loans and costing employees their annual bonus two years running. That was about 2016. Now it's strictly minimum 20% down with 48/60 month terms and no exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 566February 25, 2020 8:29 PM

Anyone who puts more than a nominal down payment on a lease is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 567February 25, 2020 10:16 PM

If you want a better car for your money look for late model used cars with a CPO warranty.

by Anonymousreply 568February 26, 2020 3:27 AM

R598 That's what I always do when car shopping the last car I bought was 2 years old and had 7K miles on the odometer. It's time for me to shop for another car and the choices are much greater now. I will add that check for the reliability of that particular model and avoid any car that was redesigned in the last 2 years since most of the bugs are still being worked out.

by Anonymousreply 569February 26, 2020 10:21 AM

I've got a 2019 Chevrolet Trax LT - it was made in South Korea. It's a 1.4L LUV engine with a turbocharger so it can get to highway speeds in a flash. The car for the price is fairly well loaded. Doesn't have adaptive cruise but I can modify it to have it.

by Anonymousreply 570March 15, 2020 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!