Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Margaret Sullivan, shit actress

I'm watching her in [b]The Mortal Storm[/b] on TCM and she is just terrible. I mean, you root for the Nazis to shoot better in the last reel. I can't remember any role, even [b]Back Street[/b] or [b]The Shop Around the Corner[/b], where she isn't dull, boring, or just plain shit.

She is the Blythe Danner of the 1930s and 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 60July 18, 2019 3:12 PM

I thought she was good in Back Street.

Liked her in The Shopworn Angel, too

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2014 6:00 PM

I preferred reading about her in HAYWIRE

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2014 6:01 PM

Do you mean Margaret Sullavan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2014 6:02 PM

Love her in comedies, particularly THE GOOD FAIRY and THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER.

A wonderful actress--ethereal, delicate, highly nuanced.

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2014 6:02 PM

Fuck you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2014 6:05 PM

brooke, dear, you had one story. You don't stop telling it. Follow your siblings.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2014 6:14 PM

[b]shit op[/b]

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2014 6:28 PM

[bold] shit [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2014 6:34 PM

OP, that's just rude especially during the holiday season. And she was good.

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2014 6:36 PM

Well he's right. She makes Blythe Danner look like Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2014 6:48 PM

I watched this horrible film a little while ago, too. Hate to say it, but I watch it every..single...time it's on because it's so awful. The skiing...all the Nazis (Robert Stack)...the skiing.

I dislike Margaret Sullavan for the fact I just don't understand how she's considered anything attractive to the male leads. That weird overbite(?), mousy look, lispy voice. Ugh. Yes. June Allyson look...yuck!!!!

by Anonymousreply 11December 20, 2014 7:00 PM

There's no accounting for taste, but did you know intelligence is linked to opinion?

And since good old OP can't spell the woman's name and putting words in boldface seems beyond him, I wouldn't put much faith in his opinions about anything.

by Anonymousreply 12December 20, 2014 9:27 PM

That's great, r12, but how about an opinion about her acting and not tsk-tsks over spelling and formatting?

by Anonymousreply 13December 20, 2014 9:29 PM

With her Everywoman appearance and demeanor, I'm always shocked she isn't more fondly remembered today.

She was sort of Dustin Hoffman before there was a Dustin Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 14December 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan Sullavan

Happy Now?

by Anonymousreply 15December 20, 2014 9:33 PM

I happen to like her acting and SHOP AROUND THE CORNER is one of the great holiday movies and one of greatest romances of all time.

I can't think of anyone who could play the slightly neurotic female lead quite the way she did.

So yeah, she still has her fans, and I don't see what there is to be gained by trashing a woman who's not around to defend herself.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 16December 20, 2014 9:38 PM

Her acting was too "precious" for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2014 9:42 PM

She bagged three famous husbands, William Wyler, Henry Fonda and Leland Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 18December 20, 2014 9:51 PM

She was a fine actress, very unique. Not good-looking at all, but apparently men went crazy for her anyway. She was married four times. Supposedly she "loathed" acting; if so, then why the hell did she become an actress? She was so temperamental that she was the only player at MGM who could outbully Louis B. Mayer. Depressed (her youngest children had told her they wanted to live with their father Leland Hayward permanently) and going deaf, she committed suicide at age 50.

Her younger daughter Bridgette committed suicide not long after. Her son Bill committed suicide many years later.

Leland Hayward remarried twice after divorcing Sullavan (he was married five times in all). His last wife was the awful Pamela Harriman; she was so greedy that she stole two pearl necklaces and an emerald ring Brooke Hayward inherited after her sister Bridgette's death. She entrusted Harriman with the jewelry after Bridgette's suicide; Harriman said she'd keep the jewelry in a safe until Brooke wanted them. When Brooke asked for the jewelry back, Harriman said she didn't know where it was. In all likelihood, she sold them. She was a bottomless pit when it came to greed. Anyway, Leland Hayward died after years of illness and pain.

Brooke Hayward is still around, the only one of her crazy family who still survives.

Leland

by Anonymousreply 19December 20, 2014 10:16 PM

Before she went crazy, she was one tough bitch!

[quote]Sullavan had a reputation of being both temperamental and straightforward. On one occasion Henry Fonda (then her ex-husband) had decided to take up a collection for a fireworks display on July 4. When Sullavan refused to make a contribution, Fonda complained loudly to a fellow actor. Then Sullavan rose from her seat and doused Fonda from head to foot with a pitcher of ice water. Fonda made a stately exit, and Sullavan, composed and unconcerned, returned to her table and ate heartily.

[quote]Another of her blowups almost literally killed Sam Wood, one of the founders of the Motion Picture Alliance. Wood was a keen anti-Communist. He dropped dead from a heart attack shortly after a raging argument with Sullavan, who had refused to fire a writer on a proposed film on account of his left-wing views. Louis B. Mayer always seemed wary and nervous in her presence. "She was the only player who outbullied Mayer", Eddie Mannix of MGM later said of Sullavan. "She gave him the willies".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 20, 2014 10:29 PM

I was going to ask wasn't she crazy - thanks r20!

by Anonymousreply 21December 20, 2014 10:39 PM

R15,

for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 20, 2014 10:40 PM

Did you perhaps mean Maureen O'Sullivan OP?

by Anonymousreply 23December 20, 2014 10:40 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 24December 20, 2014 10:42 PM

The old lush?

by Anonymousreply 25December 20, 2014 10:43 PM

[quote]She is the Blythe Danner of the 1930s and 1940s.

Funny analogy. On target too !

The two stories about her in R20 make me like her !

by Anonymousreply 26December 20, 2014 10:45 PM

Jealous fruit.

by Anonymousreply 27December 20, 2014 10:55 PM

From "The Dick Cavett Show" interview with Katherine Hepburn: Oh Margaret? Well, that overbite you know. Poor dear, when she talked, it was click-click-click-click.

The men adored it. Except for poor Hank. You know, Henry Fonda. Henry was fond of, shall we say, oral service. Well, Margaret didn't get the hang of it until Vincent Price took her in hand, so to speak. Before that, she nearly circumcised poor Henry with that overbite. Oh yes.

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2014 3:11 AM

I've never liked Sullavan either, but she is revered in the classic film community to the point of irritation.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2014 3:23 AM

Can someone find that What's My Line? clip of Ms. Sullavan and post it here?

She must have appeared there just before her suicide.

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2014 3:33 AM

Here you go, r30, in all her neurotic glory, starting around the 18 minute mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2014 10:33 AM

Thanks r31!

While she confirms many things in the WML clip she hardly appears to be the bully who had the power or balls to make LB Mayer quake.

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2014 1:15 PM

Margaret Sullivan was great as the witch in The Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2014 1:43 PM

I always liked Blythe Danner. Still do.

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2014 1:47 PM

R33 I assume that's a joke.

by Anonymousreply 35December 21, 2014 3:52 PM

Love her. Her performance in Three Comrades is heartbreaking.It was her only oscar nomination. Mediocre film, but she's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2014 5:19 PM

Another supposed actress is Tyne Daly. She always plays herself. Before she says a line, I know when she'll pause in the sentence for dramatic effect.

by Anonymousreply 37December 21, 2014 10:40 PM

Sullavan was a wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 38December 21, 2014 10:44 PM

After Maggie's death from an overdose during previews in New Haven, producer Martin Gabel replaced her with his wife Arlene Francis, but the play soon closed.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2014 11:40 AM

Why did she spell her surname with that extra A? It looks like a typo.

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2014 11:48 AM

slow moving thread

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2014 12:38 PM

I forget where I read it, but one actress's autobiography - maybe Lauren Bacall's - said Margaret and her husband Leland Hayward where "huge snobs".

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2014 12:48 PM

Lauren Bacall was no fan of Leland Hayward's after he left his wife Slim Hawks, the woman who helped discover her, to take up with Pamela Harriman.

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2014 1:27 PM

The weirdest thing I recall from Brooke Hayward's memoir, "Haywire", was that her father Leland had such a sensitive stomach, he was only allowed to eat food that was white.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2014 1:28 PM

She worked for Warners you know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 24, 2014 9:31 PM

Never got her allure. She was rather sour-looking most of the time. Like Jean Simmons, another alleged actress and "beauty" who left me cold.

by Anonymousreply 46December 25, 2014 4:13 AM

I agree op

by Anonymousreply 47December 25, 2014 6:17 AM

If it makes any of the naysayers here feel any better, Maggie Sullavan's film career only lasted about 5 years.

But she made at least one classic, The Shop Around the Corner, that will always keep her in the public eye and Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 48December 25, 2014 1:23 PM

She began making films in 1933, her final one was in 1950, "No Sad Songs For Me", in which she played a wife/mother dying of cancer, with Natalie Wood playing her young daughter.

by Anonymousreply 49December 25, 2014 7:42 PM

What's crazy about being so distressed about losing your hearing you lose your career in the process?

What is crazy is what you are, you heartless freak.

by Anonymousreply 50January 2, 2015 2:26 PM

Hepburn loathed her. Never actually stopped loathing her. Calling her a pig and so forth. Hated her right from the beginning.

That's why she was piqued when Leland Hayward stopped proposing to her and married Sullavan soon after. She obviously didn't give a shit about Hayward but to go and marry that pig!

by Anonymousreply 51January 2, 2015 2:39 PM

I thought she starred in The Enchanted Cottage, but that was Dorothy McGuire.

by Anonymousreply 52January 2, 2015 2:43 PM

If Katharine Hepburn hated her, she couldn't have been all that bad.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2015 9:28 PM

"The Shop Around the Corner" is poignant because if it's present day Budapest (1939, 1940), then "The Shop Around the Corner" will soon become "The Shop on Main Street." (Seeing previews of the latter, a Holocaust-era drama set in mittel-Europa, frightened me as a child.)

by Anonymousreply 54January 30, 2019 4:36 AM

I liked her, but then I like Blythe Danner much better than M.

by Anonymousreply 55January 30, 2019 4:54 AM

The Shop Around the Corner is so much more interesting to watch if you know that in real life, Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan had been friends for years ,and that he had a huge unrequited crush on her.

by Anonymousreply 56January 30, 2019 5:02 AM

My favorite of her films is "The Good Fairy." She is so charming in it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 30, 2019 5:15 AM

My girlfriend and I went to a revival screening of The Good Fairy and the audience was abuzz because Ann Miller was there. When she was a child actress she had a small part in the film. About halfway through the screening we see Ms. Miller pass our aisle after leaving her seat and I told my friend to follow her. Miller went to the ladies room and inside my friend asked her if she was enjoying the film. She said that she had never seen it before but "Honey, I'm leaving. Life's too short to put up with that snooty bitch", presumably referring to Sullavan. My friend came back and told me and we howled with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 58January 30, 2019 7:49 AM

She can't be much of an actress. When I googled her, Margaret Sullivan the journalist came up way before she did.

She drove her children to suicide.

by Anonymousreply 59July 18, 2019 6:59 AM

Hey now!! Blythe Danner is a wonderful actress. Also, one of the most beautiful older people you'll ever see. Her only disadvantage, I think, is being the mother of Goop. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 60July 18, 2019 3:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!