Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Selena

Selena Quintanilla-Pérez was an American singer and songwriter. She was named the "top Latin artist of the '90s" and "best selling Latin artist of the decade" by Billboard for her fourteen top-ten singles in the Top Latin Songs chart, including seven number-one hits.

She was called "The Queen of Tejano music" and the Mexican equivalent of Madonna.

Selena was murdered at the age of 23 on March 31, 1995 by Yolanda Saldívar, the former president of her fan club. On April 12, 1995, two weeks after her death, George W. Bush, governor of Texas at the time, declared her birthday "Selena Day" in Texas.

In 1997, Warner Brothers produced Selena, a film based on her life starring Jennifer Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 155December 6, 2020 12:40 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2014 9:19 AM

She was murdered JUST when she was about to make it big in the pop world. Sad, sad story.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2014 4:37 PM

Yep, it was very sad indeed, R2. I think had she lived she would've been as big as Whitney, Mariah, Janet and Toni Braxton was in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2014 4:40 PM

And if she hadn't died, we might have been spared J-Lo.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2014 5:03 PM

Selena was just about to break through, and yes she would've been a huge star. She had that "it factor" like Janet, Mariah etc. She would've been a major pop music star. It was so terribly sad.

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2014 5:16 PM

Her murderer still denies any responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2014 5:28 PM

Unlike Madonna, she could sing.

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2014 7:16 PM

Maybe, but her father was every bit the stage father that Joe Jackson was; it's entirely possible that she became a big star or possible that she flamed out because she couldn't handle the pressure.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2014 7:41 PM

JLo was good in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2014 3:18 AM

Most people had never heard of her until she was killed.

Same with Jenni Rivera.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2014 5:12 AM

That was the one and only time I have ever found JLo likeable.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2014 5:54 AM

Selena

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2014 12:37 PM

She really had it all. Which makes it all the more sad.

Her dad was kinda nuts, but her brother is a real piece of work too. Greedy bastard with 8 kids.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2014 1:10 PM

She'd be back to cleaning toilets by now if she'd lived.

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2014 1:14 PM

What did her pussy look like?

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2014 2:29 PM

Is that the brother from Kumbia Kings? I love the Kumbia Kings but I am a gringo who got turned on to their music after they broke up. The widow Chris Perez was in the band too. Do you know what really happened to the band? I am also a Selena fan and they do some of her songs as a tribute. I don't speak Spanish but I am originally from San Antonio, which is how I knew who Selena was before she died although it wasn't until her death that I bought a greatest hits tape.

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Yes R16, he is the brother from the Kumbia Kings. He got into a dispute with another founding member. He left with a few members, and then started Kumbia All Starz. They had a few hits, and then a feud began with fellow member, Pee Wee. I guess it was never resolved. They shit talked about one another on various media outlets. A.B really treated that kid pretty badly.

A.B was in court over the Kumbia Kings name. I think he won, so the name could not be used by the other members left in the group. Supposedly things got resolved, a few years back, and they were supposed to tour as Kumbia Kings again.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2014 3:11 PM

She had the looks, talent and personality to make it. Her 2 English songs that were released are very ear-pleasing. It really is a shame that the stupid bitch killed her. Selena would have been HUGE and JLo probably wouldn't have had a career. That movie launched her.

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2014 3:40 PM

I LOVE the Selena!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2014 4:34 PM

I KILL the Selena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2014 4:35 PM

Thanks r17.

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2014 4:36 PM

she would have been a huge crossover star for sure

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2014 1:04 AM

Don't forget about me!

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2014 1:15 AM

I thought she was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2014 1:23 AM

Is Yolanda a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2014 1:42 AM

I date the Selena!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2014 1:46 AM

I don't get the hype about her. She wasn't attractive, and had a huge wide nose. That 'I could fall in love with you' song is crap. I don't think she would have been successful.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2014 1:52 AM

R27 she was actually very attractive though ethnic.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2014 1:56 AM

20 years and now she is remembered as a tasty treat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2015 10:20 PM

Lol, R29!

Now you can eat Selena for only .75!

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2015 11:31 PM

Christ what's wrong with that killer bitchs face?

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2015 11:38 PM

Interview with Yolanda:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2015 12:15 AM

Selenas would have been the next Gloria Estavan or J-Low.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2015 12:22 AM

Saldívar shot her once in her right shoulder, severing an artery.

Critically wounded, Selena ran towards the lobby for help.

She collapsed on the floor as the clerk called 911, with Saldívar chasing her, calling her a "bitch".

Selena died in a hospital from loss of blood.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2015 1:14 AM

Wtf? Why did that lady shoot her anyway?

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2015 1:25 AM

Yolanda was embezzling money from Selena. When Selena came to confront her, Yolanda claimed she had been raped so Selena took her to hospital and when she was given the all clear, Selena (stupidly) agreed to meet her at a motel to settle the issue and that's when Yolanda shot her.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2015 1:28 AM

Such a senseless murder.

I bet Selena would have been a breath of fresh compared to all the garbage we are seeing today.

I'm sorry Selena had the unfortunate luck of attempting to treat that sociopath Saldivar like she mattered. That got her killed. RIP Selena.

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2015 1:49 AM

I found this in an article about Saldivar

[quote]Having become a fan of Tejano music, she began attending artists' concerts. After a Shelly Lares concert in San Antonio, she approached the singer about starting a fan club. Her request was declined by Lares' father, Fred, who would approve of no one but family members working with the singer. Saldívar was convinced by her friends to give Selena a try, although she originally disliked the singer because she dominated the Tejano Music Awards.

So this crazy bitch started out in a place of anger and resentment toward Selena for an irrational reason. Why would anyone expect this to end anything but badly. In the end Saldivar's real feelings toward Selena resurfaced.

Thankfully the other targeted singer's dad was wisely protective, maybe over protective, and that might have been her saving grace.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2015 5:04 AM

This performance makes me cry. Such a wistful rendition. It's almost like, subconsciously, she knew it was the end for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 3, 2016 6:39 PM

R1 - Never heard of her? You have to stop being so USAcentric. There's a bigger world beyond the 49th and 19th degree latitude. Check out the number of views of this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2016 6:57 PM

If she hadn't died, it would've been know as the Selena booty, not J.Lo booty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2016 7:25 PM

She really had quite a body on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 3, 2016 7:25 PM

What people don't realize or remember is that even in the 1990s, the Hispanic market in the US was pretty dire. There weren't any prominent mainstream Latin singers, or even actors. Hollywood had to cast Anglos or Italian-Americans to play Latinos (e.g. THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS, THE PEREZ FAMILY, SCARFACE). Gloria Estefan had some success in the '80s, but she was pushing 40 and was never top tier like Madonna, Janet, Whitney, or Mariah. That's who Selena was being groomed to be for the potential Latino market, and she had everything the other three had in one package. Madonna and Janet could dance but weren't really singers, and Whitney and Mariah had tremendous voices, but they weren't dancers. Selena could sing AND dance. She also had a very personable, playful personality that the others didn't. They were too standoffish and diva-like. Selena was none of those things. She'd already had major success in the Tejano world and at 23 she was already a millionaire, having opened her own boutique/fashion line and perfume, two things that J.Lo would later emulate. Despite all this, she remained humble and lived in a modest house in her hometown of Corpus Christi next door to her parents.

Alas, Selena never achieved her dream of crossover stardom. Nevertheless, the immense coverage her death and murder trial got was unprecedented for a Latino in America. So in the end, she did end up crossing over, but in death. Latino historians credit the mass coverage of her death/trial to be the start of the Latin explosion that would erupt in the late '90s. The People magazine issue featuring her death announcement sold out, so they did a commemorative issue (which a that point had only been done for Jackie O. and Audrey Hepburn) and that sold out, too. This prompted People to start People en Español the following year. As someone else pointed out, the movie of her life kickstarted J.Lo's career. Heretofore, she had only done minor/supporting roles on TV and films, but SELENA was her first starring role and she got paid $1 million, which at the time was the highest salary ever paid to a Latina actress. J.Lo also was nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance, and soon after started her own singing career (she said she was inspired by Selena) and she became part of the Latin Invasion.

[quote] "We decided to take a closer look at this story tonight, because Selena was not just another rising young star; she lit up a whole road of hope and possibility for a generation." ~ Diane Sawyer on PRIMETIME, 1995

That's why the Latinos mourned her.

by Anonymousreply 43February 3, 2016 7:48 PM

If Selena had successfully crossed over, I don't know how well she would have dealt with international fame. She was somebody very much tied to her community and her local scene. To be fragmented from that would have been very difficult I am sure because she was an extremely sensitive and gentle person. I think she would have resisted the kind of fame bestowed on the big pop stars and stuck to her niche. Jennifer Lopez achieved global fame and sustained it because she is a very cold and on some level, a soulless brand who has no affinity with her roots despite claims to the contrary (the Jenny from the Block bullshit). Britney Spears had a mental breakdown as a result of the low class culture of her roots and upbringing being used against her. I have no doubt the middlebrow, upwardly mobile white classes would have sneered at Selena and looked for ways to categorize her as they did Britney. I have even heard that Selena wanted to quit music and concentrate on being a fashion designer and run boutiques. She was not in it for the fame.

by Anonymousreply 44February 3, 2016 8:00 PM

[quote]I have even heard that Selena wanted to quit music and concentrate on being a fashion designer and run boutiques. She was not in it for the fame.

This is true. Fashion had always been her main passion. It was her father who had been the aspiring musician as a youth and who formed the siblings into a band (Los Dinos) because he realized that Selena could sing. Thus, Selena was his ticket to get back into the music industry.

by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2016 8:07 PM

Even Princess Diana had her critics and cynics (especially in death) but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody sneering at the tragedy of Selena's end or the reaction to it.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2016 10:48 PM

Where is Ms. Yolanda Saldivar now?

I heard something about her moving to Wisteria Lane?

by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2016 10:52 PM

I love this illustration of Selena, Aaliyah and Amy Winehouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2016 10:52 PM

[November 1995 - A painting of Selena has caused the Houston artist Donell Hill some problems with Mr. Quintanilla. This picture depicts Selena framed by white roses and skeletons. One skeleton is holding a microphone. Ms. Hill said "The whole idea was to honor the spirt of Selena for the celebration of the Day of the Dead". The painting was inspired by Selena's song God's Child. Mr. Qunitanilla described the painting as "trashy kind of art". "My wife was very disturbed when she saw the skeleton with a microphone", Mr. Quintanilla told the Houston Chronicle. Ms. Hill's and Mr. Quintanilla lawyers' are discussing if Ms. Hill should be allowed to reproduce and sale the painting under Selena's name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2016 10:55 PM

Como La Flor with English subtitles... heartbreaking lyrics. I never knew that Selena's first language was English and she had to learn Spanish in order to perform this music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 3, 2016 11:01 PM

R46 because Selena didn't have one mean bone in her body. She was genuinely nice and too trusting of people. That may have been what did her in. She always saw the good in people, and Yolanda took advantage of this.

Whereas Diana acted like a woman scorned and used the media to get back at her ex-husband and Royal Family. She could be a very manipulative, conniving person.

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2016 11:09 PM

r51, if you lived with the Windsors, you would learn to be manipulative and conniving. Diana had to cope with a much more invasive kind of attention than Selena. The experiences are not even comparable. We're talking about someone who was able to cultivate something that endured from her hometown, from her ethnic community in contrast to someone who was thrust into an international spotlight and placed within an emotionally repressed family. I think Diana did very well against those odds.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2016 11:14 PM

Her husband Chris Perez is cute. I've been meaning to read his memoir "To Selena with Love" which is apparently very engrossing.

by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2016 12:24 PM

We miss her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 5, 2016 4:49 PM

Her last concert in full. Stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 7, 2016 2:17 AM

I believe this video was shown in schools where Selena teaches the history of Tejano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2016 6:42 PM

I can't even count how many times I've watched Selena. It's probably my favorite movie of all time. J.Lo was amazing in it too.

by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2016 6:44 PM

I love the song Dreaming of You because it came out when I was discovering masturbation. So, Selena really helped initiate me into my gayness. It's the sweetest song. Too much information? Just wanted to share that.

by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2016 6:54 PM

Jennifer Lopez singing Bidi Bidi Bom Bom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2016 6:55 PM

r59, she was lipsyncing to the real Selena. Did you think Jlo was singing herself in that movie? She was a total unknown when she was cast. Not even a singer.

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2016 6:57 PM

When J. Lo covers Selena songs, I cringe. It's god awful.

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2016 7:12 PM

The feels....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 8, 2016 7:24 PM

Si Una Vez. It's basically a I hope karma is going to get you song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 8, 2016 8:35 PM

I love Selena and believe that she would have had the success if she was alive. Great talent and would have the longevity to last in the industry. She was the earth mother in helping Hispanic women crossover into entertainment. Without Selena there would be no J'Lo, Shakira and Thalia.

However Hispanic music has long ways to go, their style of music has not crossover into American pop culture. Hispanic artists have conformed to American pop culture standards. The only artist who's music crossover is Marc Antony.

by Anonymousreply 64February 8, 2016 8:53 PM

Selena would have transitioned to pop. I remember reading she was anxious about leaving behind her band in the instance of crossover success.

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2016 9:06 PM

The father was intent on her more then his other kids. I wonder if there was a sibling rivlary cause of it.

by Anonymousreply 66February 8, 2016 9:11 PM

I look at Jlo's success and you can't help seeing Selena in her place. Yolanda looks like she got a total facelift in prison. And she's still as self righteous and smug as always. Her conduct in this clip is disgusting. If she showed half a bit of remorse, I'm sure so many people wouldn't want her dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 8, 2016 9:13 PM

[quote]I look at Jlo's success and you can't help seeing Selena in her place.

I think you're right. Selena was also a fashion designer (her first love ) who opened her own line/boutique (Selena, etc.) and created her own perfume -- two things J.Lo would later emulate with her J.Lo fashion line and Glow perfume.

Interestingly, Selena's name was going to be Mark Anthony if she were a boy. Her mother Marcella's hospital roommate was hoping for a girl she wanted to name Selena. The two women hit it off really well. Then when Marcella gave birth to a boy instead and the other woman birthed a boy, they switched names, and that's how Selena ended up with that name. It's very curious that Lopez, who played her in the movie that kickstarted her own career and has copied Selena in other ways, ended up marrying a man named Marc Anthony.

Also, Anthony and Selena had actually met and known each other. Here he discusses Selena:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 8, 2016 9:50 PM

R67 she's due for parole in 2025, but she has never shown any remorse nor responsibility for Selena's death. It's my understanding that in order to be granted parole, you have to genuinely be remorseful and take responsibility, right?

by Anonymousreply 69February 8, 2016 9:52 PM

Yolanda would probably not survive out of prison. The best thing for her would be to die on the inside. Another tragedy about Selena's death was how excited she was about doing the English album. We were deprived the chance of hearing her interpretation in her own dialect. She had to learn Spanish from scratch to do Tejano. I think many people still don't realize that English was actually her first language.

by Anonymousreply 70February 8, 2016 10:07 PM

There's a big academic tome on Selena called "Selenidad: Selena, Latinos, and the Performance of Memory" which you should check out. Specifically, there's a chapter about her significance within the Latino queer community, not only among drag queens who have Selena as part of their act but Latino lesbians as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 8, 2016 10:14 PM

One of her only two English language songs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 9, 2016 1:43 PM

[quote]The father was intent on her more then his other kids. I wonder if there was a sibling rivlary cause of it.

I have wondered about that too. I think there could have been rivalry and resentment when the kids were younger. In the movie, it was shown that the kids weren't happy when Abraham started pushing music on them. I don't know if that was a movie embellishment, but Abraham was very involved in development process with director/writer Gregory Nava. I recall on some documentary, A.B. and Suzette said that in the beginning they disliked playing Tejano and Spanish language music. The whole family ended up benefiting in the long run.

I do agree with previous posters, Abraham was another stage dad.. IIRC, one of Selena's former teachers testified at Salvidar's trial and portrayed Abraham as a controlling father and she said that Selena often went to school tired after performing nights. Other people who knew the Quintanillas or involved in the Tejano business have said similar things. There was a gay designer who worked at Selena's boutique and he had conflicts with Salvidar which Abraham ignored. I liked Selena's music and she could have had success. I can't stand her father and in more recent interviews he still has that asshole vibe.

by Anonymousreply 73February 9, 2016 2:25 PM

R66 I'm sure there was, which is normal in most families. Her brother was talented too. I hate to admit it, because I can't stand him. He's a lot like his prick father.

He wrote some of her songs. After her death, he went on to have his own success.

by Anonymousreply 74February 9, 2016 2:27 PM

I remember getting rodeo tickets free one year. I'm not really into it but took my little nephew to see the animals and petting zoo. We got there and I realized it was Go Tejano Day. Never realized that the concert that night was Selena. I had never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 75February 9, 2016 3:04 PM

Yolanda claimed that Selena's dad had threatened her life and that's why she had the gun. There seems to have been a power play for Selena between Abraham and Yolanda, never mind the fact that she was married to Chris. Selena dying in that tawdry motel setting is like the ultimate theatrical denouement. There was something intensely dramatic about the mid 90s: OJ and Nicole, Kurt and Courtney, Yolanda and Selena... these are events with a recurring theme: the death of maimed goodness in the shadow of people who tried to control them.

by Anonymousreply 76February 9, 2016 3:16 PM

Abe is an example of an overprotective and controlling father of a daughter. Selena was probably the type to always want please daddy and go along with whatever he said. I've known plenty of women like that. There are also situations in mothers of adult daughters still manage to control their daughters after they marry. Abe was managing the group and Selena's career and so there was no way Chris and Selena could establish themselves as a autonomous couple away from Abe. If she had lived, there could have been martial problems down the road. On the career level, Abe could have been pushed out from Selena's management or family conflicts could have arose(e.g. Murry Wilson/Beach Boys).

by Anonymousreply 77February 9, 2016 4:18 PM

I wonder how Chris feels about this idea of bringing Selena back as a hologram. Chris seems so sad in this clip, and Selena's siblings are very dominant personalities:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 9, 2016 4:46 PM

Some stars discussing Selena. I didn't know that Beyonce and Selena had met. That's pretty cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 9, 2016 6:07 PM

Thanks r79, it must be very surreal for Jennifer Lopez when people pay tribute to her performance as Selena. Are they paying tribute to her or to Selena? Those lines blur.

by Anonymousreply 80February 9, 2016 9:26 PM

Whatever happened to her sister Suzette? Her brother managed to stay semi relevant. He recently said he's working on kid #9, with his 27 year old wife. Lol. You don't hear much about her these days.

by Anonymousreply 81February 10, 2016 7:34 PM

It's amazing how these psychopaths, like Selena's murderer, managed to ingratiate themselves into the lives of these celebrities. Of course, the reverse happened for Robert Blake's wife, and we know how that ended.

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2016 7:37 PM

Julie was overhead telling Selena to "not worry about a thing. Just meet Yolanda at the hotel and all will work out."

by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2016 12:02 AM

R83 Julie who?

by Anonymousreply 84February 11, 2016 12:08 AM

[quote]Whatever happened to her sister Suzette? Her brother managed to stay semi relevant. He recently said he's working on kid #9, with his 27 year old wife. Lol. You don't hear much about her these days.

Suzette helped run the Selena boutique for years and she also designed clothing. The boutique closed in 2009. She has a Facebook fan page and it appears she is still involved in fashion. She and the rest of the family also worked with MAC on the Selena makeup line.

by Anonymousreply 85February 11, 2016 12:12 AM

I adore whoever wrote this gushing tribute to Selena:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 11, 2016 12:27 AM

One of Selena's best friends was Martin Gomez, the gay designer she worked with at her boutiques. He warned Selena that Yolanda was bugfuck crazy and possibly dangerous but unfortunately Selena didn't listen to him until it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 87February 11, 2016 1:49 AM

I think Selena felt sorry for Yolanda because she knew that her dad was sending her to prison for embezzlement. There are theories that Yolanda never meant to kill Selena, but kill herself IN FRONT of Selena. I personally believe she lured Selena there with the intention of offing herself but then shot her in the heat of the moment. The question remains: did she kill Selena because she was devastated about not being in her life anymore, or because she had been exposed as a treacherous thief?

by Anonymousreply 88February 11, 2016 1:54 AM

One also takes into consideration the extraordinary amount of pressure Selena must have been under by 1995: not only was she working on the crossover album which she would have to tour all over the US, she also planned to do a counterpart Spanish album to appease her established market, she wanted to start a family with Chris AND she was getting her boutiques off the ground with the realization of her passion for design. Under the pressure of all of this I'm not surprised that Selena took the seemingly illogical decision of going to meet Yolanda into a motel dive that terrible morning.

by Anonymousreply 89February 11, 2016 2:01 AM

Pic of Selena and Chris paying bills the night before her death. Life is so cruel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 11, 2016 2:08 AM

Selena's Disco Medley... fabulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 12, 2016 11:30 AM

[quote]she's due for parole in 2025, but she has never shown any remorse nor responsibility for Selena's death. It's my understanding that in order to be granted parole, you have to genuinely be remorseful and take responsibility, right?

I have heard and read about that happening in several states. The Serial podcast mentioned a couple of times that Maryland has granted parole to murders who have been remorseful and have taken responsibility for their crimes.

But, Texas is a very tough state on crime and Yolanda wouldn't stand a chance on getting parole. The Quintanillas will likely do whatever they can to make sure she doesn't get parole and then add in Selena fans. If Yolanda was to ever be released, state officials might take extra steps to insure her safety. She has had threats from various Hispanic prison gangs and those gangs have members on the outside. Selena was very popular throughout Texas, but I would say there might be a few towns/areas where people didn't care about Selena when she was alive and continued not to care after her murder. If Yolanda was ever to be released, I could see state officials advising or send her to one of those areas. That said, it is still very unlikely that she will be released.

by Anonymousreply 92February 12, 2016 2:22 PM

I had a friend who was at the Beverly Center when Selena went shopping for a Grammy dress. As depicted in the movie, the place literally shut down. All the Hispanic workers who made the place go, the janitors, the food preparers, everyone left their position when they heard Selena was there. That's the impact she had on that community.

Here is a really great rendition of a Diane Warren song that shows what a great star she would have been in the crossover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 12, 2016 3:10 PM

R88 this forensics psychologist that 20/20 talked to at the time of the trial said that Yolanda appeared to fit a pattern of an obsessive personality, and that by bringing a gun to the motel room, she intended one of them to die that day. The doctor also found it telling that Yolanda stated in a previous 20/20 interview that if she had to do it over again, she wished that she had died instead. He said a normal, sane person would say something like, "I wish we were both safe and nothing bad had happened."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 12, 2016 3:32 PM

I love the comment in the r91 video...

[quote]Imagine putting 1995 Selena on the same stage as Adele or Beyonce. Nobody would be noticing Adele or Beyonce, that's for damn sure!

SO true.

by Anonymousreply 95February 12, 2016 4:06 PM

Mexican culture is all about machismo for the man. The man must have control in all aspects of his life, including his family. I don't know what it is like in other Latino groups but Mexicans pride themselves on staying close as a family. I am not surprised that Abrham (Father) is controlling, but also understand why he is like that, besides his culture. Selena is a Mexican woman trying to crossover in racist Texas and white mainstream America. Survival instincts happens among people of color when going against the white mainstream machine. She is a female, young, beautiful, talented with money and easy to exploit. We saw what happned in the end, she was exploited cause of nice trustworthy nature.

by Anonymousreply 96February 12, 2016 7:05 PM

Yolanda was 34 when she killed Selena. She looked older with that hairstyle and clothing. Lupe Ontiveros who played Yolanda in the movie was in her 50s when it came out. She passed away a few years back and some people complained when she wasn't included in the Oscars memorial slideshow.

by Anonymousreply 97February 12, 2016 10:34 PM

She kisses or hugs every person coming up on that stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 13, 2016 12:14 AM

The hologram tour will not be running in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 13, 2016 1:35 AM

Thank god the hologram is cancelled. It's in terrible taste IMO only I understand the sentiment. But please leave that sort of gawdy display to the rap music crowd.

by Anonymousreply 100February 13, 2016 1:37 AM

Selena with Brando on the set of Don Juan di Marco (she had a cameo in the film). Love this pic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 13, 2016 1:55 AM

R100 I agree. While I sympathize with the Quintanillas, it seems they are quite desperate to still be making money off Selena. They are Jehovah's Witnesses and at one point they had issues with Selena's performing outfits. A few years back I stumbled onto some JW forum and Selena and her family were slammed by very conservative JW posters. There was also gossip that Selena was going to convert to Catholicism because of Chris. On a similar note, Serena and Venus Williams are also from a JW family and they have been slammed on JW sites for their tennis careers and they were slammed for saluting the US flag at the Olympics. I also remember some story about Katherine Jackson allowing Michael to throw her birthday party on the grounds that gifts had to be in paper bags. The Quintanillas, Williams family and Jacksons could have been great JW celeb friends.

by Anonymousreply 102February 13, 2016 2:00 AM

R101 Brando looks smitten. Selena was Brando's type. He loved the raven-haired ethnic types. His first wife was of Indian descent, second Mexican-American, and third Polynesian. And, of course, he dated Puerto Rican Rita Moreno.

by Anonymousreply 103February 13, 2016 2:02 AM

Can we please trade Jlo and Beyonce to the higher powers and have Selena back?!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 13, 2016 2:03 AM

One of Selena's final engagements in Chicago, March 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 22, 2016 12:24 AM

Dreaming of You is the perfect song about masturbation. I've always loved it.

by Anonymousreply 106February 22, 2016 12:40 AM

J.lo's vocals at the tribute were atrocious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 24, 2016 12:16 AM

Remember when Sally Jesse Raphael at her height of popularity promoted Selena, explaining about Tejano music. Selena came across extremely well versus later divas. The arrest and possible trial of Yolanda was the same time as the beginning of TV exposes of major crime trials. The Spanish language Los Angeles stations became even more popular for their coverage.

by Anonymousreply 108February 24, 2016 12:48 AM

My favorite picture of Selena, she was so photogenic, the sumptuous lips, 'the look'.... she could really turn it on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 24, 2016 12:56 AM

Another gorgeous one:

by Anonymousreply 110February 24, 2016 12:58 AM

Another gorgeous one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 24, 2016 12:59 AM

Selena had a very infectious laugh. J.Lo did justice to it in the movie, although she's been copying it ever since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 24, 2016 1:10 AM

Her beauty was mystical, and yet she was so down to earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 24, 2016 1:37 AM

A fan ventures to the motel room where Selena was shot. I love whichever queen wrote this:

[quote]If you listen closely at 2:23, you can hear the ghost of Yolanda laughing as she waits for Selena to arrive. There is such an evil, demonic presence in that room, which you can feel even watching the video. Yolanda was a servant to demonic powers, determined to destroy Selena. But Selena's goodness is something Yolanda, the agent of Hell, could never destroy, and it continues to bless the world: for Selena's love is stronger than the hatred that took her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 24, 2016 6:05 PM

Wasn't she shot outside the room? IIRC, a maid saw her running out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 115February 24, 2016 7:02 PM

She was shot in the doorway as she was going to leave.

by Anonymousreply 116February 24, 2016 7:03 PM

R115 she was shot as she was opening the door to leave, then Yolanda chased her with the gun but didn't fire a second time. Another eyewitness, a janitor, saw Yolanda stop after a few yards and turn around. I guess a fatally wounded Selena was faster than her fat-ass.

by Anonymousreply 117February 24, 2016 7:07 PM

The Days Inn room is mentioned in this article about celeb deaths in hotels. I wonder if anyone Find A Grave has stayed at that room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 24, 2016 7:38 PM

A fan's visit to Corpus Christi Selena sites which included at a stop the Days Inn is detailed on this fan site . The fan also met Abe Quintanilla. I remember years ago, VH1 did a documentary on super fans of deceased singers, I was surprised back then that a Selena fan wasn't included. The VH1 documentary showed the super fans driving to cemeteries and hometowns of the deceased people. Reading the blog reminded me a bit of those people.

[quote]Next stop, Days Inn Motel. The motel was basically empty, it was very quiet there. My dad and I took took a few pictures of the front entrance, and then went around to where the rooms were. There was a janitor there, and he saw us looking a little lost and said, “You folks here on vacation?” We told him yes and we were here for Selena. He could tell just by looking at me why I was here and he pointed to a room behind him and said, “That’s the room where Selena was shot.” I couldn’t believe this amazing twist of fate! The Days Inn had rearranged all the numbers of the rooms so no one knew which room was Selena’s, and we just happened to run into this man who tells us exactly which one it was! We thanked him, and walked over to the room.

[quote]I’m not going to say what number it was, that’s for you to find out when you go to Corpus. I got goose bumps all over my body. I looked over at my dad and said, “Well, this is it.”. We took a few pictures of the room, and I looked at the path that Selena had run across to get the lobby where she collapsed. She had a pretty long way to run! The door to the room was locked of course, windows shut with blinds closed. I looked some more at the hotel room door, the path, and the whole motel altogether. I was answering my dad’s questions about what had happened here about 12 years ago the whole time, which I was more than happy to do.

[quote]We left the Days Inn, and I still couldn’t shake that eerie feeling I had inside of me from standing right where my idol had run across on her way to where she would end up losing her life forever. Deep stuff, I know. But on to a happier note, our next 2 stops were Selena’s house and of course, Mirador De La Flor, AKA the Selena statue. Selena’s house was in a quiet suburb, and I noticed a car in the driveway, someone obviously lives there now. I was jealous, I wanted to live there! :) We took one and only one picture and then was on our way to the statue. It took us a very very very long time to find the statue, because it was right along the street, and ironically, right next to our hotel! When we did finally find it, there were a few people there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 24, 2016 7:44 PM

[quote]Selena could sing AND dance. She also had a very personable, playful personality that the others didn't. They were too standoffish and diva-like. Selena was none of those things.

Though she was beautiful and very talented, this is what would have propelled her to megastardom. She would have been the first Latina that little girls of all races and ethnicities would have wanted to be like and would have wanted to emulate. She was also just sexy enough to interest older pop music fans. She really was the whole package. Such a loss, not just to Latin music, but to pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 120February 24, 2016 7:53 PM

Never saw this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 13, 2016 3:09 AM

That smile of hers radiated kindness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 13, 2016 2:27 PM

I've been thinking about this, and I wonder if the biopic with Jennifer Lopez was less a way to tribute Selena and more for her family to continue profiting off her brand, which soared off the back of her death. It seems tasteless. If they had made a movie about her 20 years after the killing, that would have been a little less shady.

by Anonymousreply 123March 13, 2016 5:18 PM

She was such an exceptional live performer. I heard Jlo cover this at the Selena tribute last year and Jlo sounded absolutely shit in comparison:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 15, 2016 2:03 AM

Brando on Selena:

[quote]"“She is a very special and very beautiful girl. She has a gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 16, 2016 5:23 PM

I wonder if Brando wanted to do Selena? At that point, he was an obese seventy-year-old, but he always had a penchant for dark, exotic, ethnic types.

by Anonymousreply 126March 16, 2016 5:29 PM

r126, if you watch the clip to the end where the band serenade Brando and Faye during their romantic exchange, Brando's eyes are firmly on Selena standing behind Faye LOL

by Anonymousreply 127March 16, 2016 5:33 PM

Jlo's 'tribute' to Selena for anybody who missed it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 16, 2016 6:00 PM

The Frau is strong in this thread

by Anonymousreply 129March 16, 2016 6:06 PM

Fuck off r129, Selena appealed to gay boys in equal measure. Her queer credentials are non disputable.

by Anonymousreply 130March 16, 2016 6:25 PM

21 years today we lost our Purple Tejano Angel :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2016 12:55 PM

An oral history

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 31, 2016 4:00 PM

In tribute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 31, 2016 6:05 PM

Filmed in San Antonio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 7, 2016 9:41 AM

R92 is correct about the gangs - when Yolanda was arrested there were Mexican gangs taking up collections to bail the bitch out so they could smoke her, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 135April 7, 2016 11:11 AM

Thank you for your service, Yolanda.

by Anonymousreply 136April 7, 2016 12:25 PM

Still getting headlines!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 16, 2016 5:17 PM

I wonder who will play Selena in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 20, 2016 1:18 AM

I never grabbed HER pussy

by Anonymousreply 139November 20, 2016 1:29 AM

Nah Trump wouldn't have a grabbed a Mexican pussy.

by Anonymousreply 140November 20, 2016 1:31 AM

Drama with Abe and Chris Perez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 4, 2016 11:45 PM

She loved Janet Jackson. It's no wonder she was likened to her at one point. Here she is singing WHEN I THINK OF YOU

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 5, 2016 12:35 AM

Not surprised to read this since Abraham made the Jlo starring Selena movie all about him. He's a complete bastard. Makes me wonder if there's some truth to Yolanda's claims that he threatened her life before she killed Selena.

by Anonymousreply 143December 5, 2016 12:36 AM

Abraham is the Latino Joe Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 144December 5, 2016 5:44 PM

I read the comments sections on a couple of articles about the lawsuit there were several people slamming Abraham and supporting Chris. One comment mentioned Abraham having tons of enemies in the music business. R144 is right, he is the Latino Joe Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 145December 6, 2016 1:35 AM

Her Walk of Fame star ceremony is today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 3, 2017 4:14 PM

I thought about her earlier today. It dawned on me that as of April 1st this year, she has now been gone longer than she was alive. So sad.

I'm glad her official YouTube channel uploaded some higher quality vids of her Astrodome concert. She was only 23 at that concert, and man, she could put on a show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 25, 2018 9:09 PM

Agreed r41! Selena had a natural, athletic looking rear end and figure. She was a beautiful girl.

by Anonymousreply 148May 26, 2018 12:31 AM

Watching the series right now. Selena was a goregous girl, its a shame that instead of a protrayl of the real selena. We get a watered down version of Jenifer Lopezs portrayl from 20+years ago

by Anonymousreply 149December 5, 2020 4:04 AM

Selena had an ability to hold every member of her audience at thenpalm and of her hand, they respond to every swivel of the hips. She was a consumate showman or showwoman.

Watching her perform reminds me of watching the legendary Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 150December 5, 2020 4:06 AM

Such a travesty! 25 years later you bet your ass she would have gotten more recognition than she had at the time she was killed.

by Anonymousreply 151December 5, 2020 4:09 AM

The series is a dud. I don’t hate the casting but something is off with the production. She’s not even the focus really.

by Anonymousreply 152December 5, 2020 4:11 AM

I honestly did not like J. Lo's performance as Selena in the 90's biopic. She didn't act like Selena, her voice didn't sound like Selena's when she spoke. I just saw J. Lo in Selena cosplay. Hopefully the new actress looks and sounds more like Selena than J. Lo did and actually knows how to sing and act.

I'm not saying J. Lo had to be a perfect copy of Selena. I'm just saying she put no effort into the role at all.

If only we could exchange aome of the current overrated artists (J. Lo, Beyonce, John Legend, Billie Eillish, etc.) and get back the ones that have died alive and well in return like a previous poster said.

by Anonymousreply 153December 5, 2020 4:25 AM

Boy was she something special! The way she moved...wow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 5, 2020 4:32 AM

Will the show dramatize Selena’s murder at the Days Inn?

by Anonymousreply 155December 6, 2020 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!