Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whites and aging

I don't understand my fellow white people. I'll be turning 36 early next year and most people I meet think I'm some kind of anomaly because I don't have wrinkles yet and my skin is baby smooth. I take care of my skin. I wear a moisturizer with sunscreen every day and I don't tan.

I have two half sisters, one is 50, the other is 53. My 50 year old sister has perfect, wrinkle-free skin. My 53 year old, tanning obsessed sister looks like a California raisin.

Isn't it obvious what causes premature aging of the skin? Why don't white people get it? Light-skinned Asians seem to understand this.

Asian thinking = protect the skin from UV damage and accept the color of the skin you were born with.

White people thinking = tan tan tan and then panic around age 40. Then spend a ton of money on creams, botox, collagen injections etc in a desperate attempt to correct the damage done and prevent further damage.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people say that wrinkles are a natural part of aging. Funny how you don't hear black people say this. Wrinkles = SUN DAMAGE.

People with darker skin have a natural protection against sun rays. It isn't hard to understand.

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2019 3:28 AM

I am in my 50s and have no wrinkles. I never took any particular care of my skin, but it never creased.

That said, I do not see what the problem with wrinkles are. Botox face is a lot worse and makes people look much older, more unattractive, (and creepier) than wrinkles do.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2014 2:48 PM

I'm forty-five and don't have wrinkles, but my family doesn't do that, really. I do have white hair though.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2014 2:51 PM

Go outside and play.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2014 2:51 PM

I love the sun, but am middle eastern and can handle it.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2014 2:52 PM

Asians don't want to be dark because dark people can be looked down upon.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2014 3:29 PM

Oh, the wisdom!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2014 4:05 PM

That's just not true, OP

I am 55, tan frequently and do not look like a California raisin. I moisturize a lot and have always had oily skin

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2014 4:11 PM

Dark asians like filipinos use skin bleach. So much for accepting your skin color.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2014 4:12 PM

Family genetics has a LOT to do with the complexion you enjoy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2014 4:23 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2014 4:36 PM

not that is not true, but posting a link from the dailymail doesn't work your case

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2014 4:39 PM

r9, studies show that, while genetics does play a role in aging, sun exposure is the #1 cause of wrinkles and skin damage. The reason that "black don't crack" is because their skin is far less susceptible to sun damage.

OP, the reason white people (especially white women) want to be tan is because they think it makes them look better. They think it makes them look thinner (darker colors do make things look smaller, it's why black is considered slimming) and because it makes facial flaws like dark circles and zits look slightly less noticeable. Fair skin is prized in Asian cultures so the desire to be tan is not there.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2014 4:41 PM

Thank You R12. Finally, someone with a brain! So many white people are in denial about this.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2014 4:44 PM

[quote]I am in my 50s and have no wrinkles. I never took any particular care of my skin, but it never creased.

What do you consider to be wrinkles? Because I personally consider crows feet when you smile to be a type of wrinkles, and I know damn well that you at least have to have that and lines on your head when you raise your eyebrows in your 50's.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2014 4:52 PM

My mom is 59 years old and has no wrinkles, but plenty of skin sagging. She looks even older, yet her facial skin is unlined.

I saw many people in a semi-dressed state at my old job. I finally shunned suntanning when I noticed the tan lines on a woman in her seventies; the "shorts" line on her thighs revealed perfect, milky white and smooth YOUNG looking skin, while the leathery, papery thin skin below it had broken blood vessels both pink and blue, many dark spots down to the feet.

The skin that had been covered with clothing for more than seventy years looked and felt like a 30 year olds (this lady was muscular and had no cellulite). I suppose I thought that the entire body aged "evenly", but no.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2014 4:56 PM

Men don't age as quickly because we shave. Daily exfoliating.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2014 5:00 PM

Nothing special about you OP. Who has wrinkles at age 36?

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2014 5:07 PM

OP, Northern Asians or light skinned as you referred to them as, don't want to get tanned because they don't want to be confused for Southeast Asians as their is a hierarchy of Asian cultures and the darker you are the lower you are on it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2014 5:10 PM

[quote]Nothing special about you OP. Who has wrinkles at age 36?

Ahem...

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2014 5:11 PM

Everybody is vulnerable, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2014 5:13 PM

Who is "James F.", R19?

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2014 5:19 PM

R15 I have the same problem as your mother. I don't have a line in my forehead or a crinkle by my eyes, but I am beginning to see the sag coming. My dermatologist warned me of this when I was in my early 30's. Thicker oily skin is a blessing in many ways, but it is way more likely to sag/drop with age. I am in the midst of deciding how to remedy the situation, and I'm leaning towards a lower facelift. For the person who said that a 50 something cannot be w/o forehead or crow's feet lines, that just isn't so. My mom trained me from age 12 to not use my face for expression. She was a model in the 60's, so she was very aware of such stuff. I don't smile with my eyes and I never ever raise my eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2014 5:19 PM

R20 Special effects makeup.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2014 5:21 PM

R22 you sound like such a tiring queen. "I don't smile with my eyes and I never ever raise my eyebrows."

Really? So you are one of those dolls?

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2014 5:22 PM

I am a very tiring queen. You called it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2014 5:24 PM

A women who doesn't smile with her eyes will look so bossy.

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2014 5:26 PM

So true. I have terminal bitchy resting face. Even when I smile.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2014 5:29 PM

OP, perhaps you have no wrinkles because your brow is uncluttered by thought. Did you ever consider that?

That being said, it's a known fact that "black don't crack."

I have Mediterranean olive complexion and I remained pretty much wrinkle-free until my early sixties. At that point I moved to a northern cold climate where intense central heating was the norm. It's been pretty tough keeping moisturized here, but I don't worry about it too much anymore, since I was flawless in my heyday..

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2014 5:30 PM

The hell they don't!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2014 5:34 PM

Another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2014 5:36 PM

R29 that person is 122 and in R30 that person is 97.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2014 5:38 PM

"Men don't age as quickly because we shave. Daily exfoliating."

Men THINK they don't age as quickly. So wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2014 5:39 PM

The English don't count R32.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2014 5:41 PM

Wrinkles are no big deal. I got a facelift at 45 and everyone tells me I like 25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2014 5:43 PM

A lot of it has to do with diet as well.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2014 5:45 PM

Good Genes.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2014 5:58 PM

R32 I have to agree with the daily exfoliation thing. Someone tipped me off to it 15 years ago. I began shaving my face daily, and not only does my skin look better, but my makeup looks 10 times better without that dreadful peach fuzz on the lower sideburn/jaw area which women have(whether they are blonde or brunette.) I strongly recommend shaving for any women who haven't tried it. And no, your facial fuzz doesn't grow back darker or heavier.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2014 6:01 PM

A high alkaline diet is the key.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2014 6:01 PM

OP, you really sound like an idiot loser. And a tiny passive-aggressive one, too.

[quote] Asian thinking = protect the skin from UV damage and accept the color of the skin you were born with. [quote]

ACCEPT the color of the skin you were born with...

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2014 6:11 PM

[quote]Asian thinking = protect the skin from UV damage and accept the color of the skin you were born with.

Actually, we Oriental women all use Pearl Creme! It causes our friends to ACCUSE us of having a face lift!

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2014 6:14 PM

Wrinkles aren't the only result of overexposure to sun. Blotchy spots and coarse texture result, too. I see that in women, and I think: Really, sunscreen wouldn't have killed you.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2014 6:21 PM

R35, R36, R38

Denial, denial, denial.

80% of skin aging is caused by sun damage. How many times must it be repeated?

Do black people in the US have better diets than whites? No. They actually have higher rates of obesity and diabetes. They age better because their skin has a natural sun protection.

But keep talking about genes and alkaline diets if it makes you feel better. The beauty industry has been making billions of dollars off the backs of stupid white people.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2014 6:23 PM

Hey R42. Good genes are a part of why some people are less prone to sun damage than others. It's not denial at all.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2014 6:27 PM

Weight is also a factor. I'm still in my twenties and I get crow's feet when I smile broadly, my forehead wrinkles etc. It doesn't affect how I laugh/smile, but it does affect how I let myself be photographed.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2014 6:48 PM

nop. my aunt is 70 and she has full european blood - yet living in south america. she gets skin burned every summer and she looks like she´s 50. she is blond / blue eyes. (both her parents were slovenians)

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2014 7:35 PM

Aging well is 90% genes and 10% how you take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2014 8:21 PM

No it isn't R46.

Research has shown that it is mostly sun damage.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2014 9:52 PM

R14

The lines you are talking about have nothing to do with age. If you scrunch your eyes or mouth or raise your eyebrows, there are going to be creases at any age.

So yes, when I make faces there are lines.

I do have a lot of grey hair though all the time.

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2014 10:01 PM

Orthodox Jewish girls and women usually have extraordinary skin. Why? Probably because they don't drink, don't smoke and have little sun exposure.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2014 10:02 PM

Well, how do you explain my wrinkled, craggy face? I NEVER go in the sun and I've never had a tan in my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2014 10:03 PM

OMG, R50, is THAT Madonna? She looks 80. Seriously sent shivers up my spine. I'm 62 and I think I look every day of my age and that woman looks like my mother. Yike! I only thought it was her because of the gap in the front teeth. Otherwise I really would have thought that was a woman in her 80s.

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2014 10:12 PM

R51: she looks her age. Don't be so dramatic.

Most people look their age. When people tell you you look younger, they're just being nice.

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2014 10:16 PM

We all suffer UV damage even when we are not tanning. UV rays are present during the day even if it isn't sunny outside. They even go through windows. You must protect your skin at all times.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2014 10:21 PM

I'm sorry but she does not look her age in the face. I'm that age so I cam constantly judging other 55 year old men and women. Her face looks 60-62 and that's with the facial surgery. The thing is, if she'd put on 10 Lbs she would look 10 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2014 10:22 PM

I'm 58 and I don't have any real wrinkles. I love spending time in the sun.

But my skin is sagging and that's why I look my age. I could have bathed in sunscreen and it wouldn't have helped a bit with that.

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2014 10:22 PM

R52 is so right. My mom really thinks that she could be mistaken for my sister. People usually don't have the heart to be cruel.

It's the same thing with social media. This sanctimonious, insufferable lady in my town has gotten a swollen head because of Facebook comments. And her mommyblog comments. She has a following now, and tells people how to live. few people understand is that most naturally beautiful men and women more often get nervous glances and cut downs than compliments.

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2014 10:29 PM

Not a line on my face and I am 55. And no work done! Good genes, and taking care of yourself. People think I am 40 and I am a honky.

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2014 10:33 PM

I'm 50 and I am only now starting to develop fine lines.

I stay out of the sun, and moisturize.

Also, I only sleep on my back. I believe this keeps wrinkles from developing around of the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2014 10:36 PM

r57: at 57, you have tons of lines and sagging. But whatever makes you happy.

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2014 10:36 PM

People are terrible at perceiving what is staring back at them in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2014 10:42 PM

Oh honey. Look at pictures of yourself, R57. They tell the real story. Everyone naturally poses when they look at themselves in a mirror. It's not even a conscious thing. They shift to their "good" side, angle their jaw, suck in their gut, and only see themselves straight on in good light, etc. You don't know how the rest of the world sees you until you take a look at several candid photos of yourself. I'm sure you look every bit of your age, dear.

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2014 10:43 PM

I am in my mid-40's and have no wrinkles. I shave using Noxzema cream, afterwards use witch hazel as an astringent (no rash, no redness), use moisturizer (CeraVue). Never had a problem with this routine.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2014 10:50 PM

R57 here, what ever whores! I know the truth and your gay ass bitterness is sad.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2014 11:27 PM

I've done everything bad you can do to your skin - boozing, smoking, staying up all night - except go without sunscreen, and it makes a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 64November 30, 2014 12:06 AM

OP is very angry and bitter about something but it sure as hell isn't white peoples wrinkles. Its called Displaced Aggression/anger.

I'm sure OP is a real blast at parties...

by Anonymousreply 65November 30, 2014 12:26 AM

I, unlike the men I fetishize, am rather pale and wan, but I don't like to tan at all. I am, however, thankful that I don't turn red in the sun. I abhor the red (or redneck) look. I turn more brownish, yet I don't like to tan, as I wrote. I am in my late 30s, and have a few wrinkles and crow's feet. My hair is quite gray and has been since my 20s like my father's.

by Anonymousreply 66November 30, 2014 12:33 AM

You old queens...45 - +, who don't think you have wrinkles, need to take a closer look. Candlelight in the bathroom doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 67November 30, 2014 2:34 AM

Not to nitpick, but black DO crack. I live in a mixed neighborhood with blacks of all ages. I find tell the black youth from the white youth, based on the appearance of youthful skin, is pretty much equal with the white teens tending to look a bit younger actually. And the older blacks in their late 40's and above are very clearly old. Elasticity in the neck gone, deep furrows on brows and marionette lines. What I rarely see are freckles,

by Anonymousreply 68November 30, 2014 2:45 AM

R58 - How do you always sleep on your back for 8 hours? Don't you ever move in your sleep?

by Anonymousreply 69November 30, 2014 2:48 AM

I'm 50 and have never liked the sun. I've used sunscreen since my mid-20s, and use Skin Biology Super CP Serum and LacSal, which is a cream with lactic and salicylic acid. No one will mistake me for a 25 year old, but I look 10 years younger than my 2 years-younger sibling who uses nothing.

I went to mass with family recently, and when I turned around to shake a man's hand during the kiss of peace, he said "Your face looks too young for that gray hair!"

by Anonymousreply 70November 30, 2014 3:02 AM

You shouldn't be an anomaly, OP. At 36, you should look perfect. I can't imagine anyone who eats properly and doesn't really abuse his/her skin not looking wonderful at that age. Enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 71November 30, 2014 3:03 AM

My brother is two years younger than me. He spends at least half of each year in tropical sun. He is often outdoors even in cold weather, an exercise fanatic.

He happens to be handsome and very fit. However, his face looks like an old baseball mitt. Creased. Leathery. He looks ten years older than me. But he doesn't give a shit. He has women and men fall all over him. Sex appeal trumps a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 72November 30, 2014 3:11 AM

R69 I will shift most of my weight to my right side or left side without moving my head to the side

by Anonymousreply 73November 30, 2014 3:49 AM

I never move my head when sleeping, either. Probably because I was rendered totally paralyzed in a car accident. I'm writing this post by blowing into a straw like tube.

by Anonymousreply 74November 30, 2014 4:15 AM

I'm super super fair, 38 yrs old - my father German/Austrian Jewish, my mother Northwestern European with some French and German. Pretty much all of my father's side of the family and most of my mother's side have super fair, delicate, etc skin.

But for the most part I have avoided the sun. Not neurotically so - I've never worn SPF just to go outside, or even when I'm playing sports, but I've never been a "lying out" type - its boring to me plus all that concentrated eat gives me a headache and makes me dizzy, etc. So I have next to no wrinkles - I know people who just graduated college who have more crows feet then I do. When I smile I literally have just enough crows feet on the side of my eye to give me character. That's IT.

So, point being, I do think it's mostly the sun that is the culprit, as I have the type of skin that wrinkles the most, and it hasnt. Whereas my oldest sister has more olive skin (rare for our family), baked when she was younger, and, while she still looks younger then her age, she definitely aged faster then me.

I actually think I'll get better looking in 5 yrs or so, as my cheekbones will get sharper, etc. I have high cheekbones but I basically have a baby face - that also makes me look younger.

by Anonymousreply 75November 30, 2014 6:14 AM

I'm 56, but everyone tells me I look 19...

by Anonymousreply 76November 30, 2014 6:30 AM

I never tanned at all, and I'm 38 and still seeing some minor wrinkles around my eyes mainly. I don't have some strict regime with lotions and a bevy of other products - I simply use a facial cleanser with an exfoliator in it. I have brown hair, but my complexion is relatively pale.

I am in front of a computer all day though so perhaps it's from squinting a lot at the screen.

I do still once in a blue moon get carded for alcohol though, if I am freshly shaven, and dressed down in a t-shirt and jogging shorts. And some of my coworkers have joked that I look younger than I really am, which I appreciate these days. But I never really did anything to look this way.

by Anonymousreply 77November 30, 2014 7:46 AM

I'm incredibly good looking. It's almost a crime! My skin is truly flawless and I do nothing special to maintain it. (Baby I was born this way! ) My features are...let's just say I'm blessed. I'm 6'1, 187, blond, veryyy blue eyes, toned body, and a HUGE 9.5×7 cock. I'm currently in grad school so don't have much free time. Luckily I don't have to work at improving my looks or fret about my skin. I'm just, well, unapologetically as close to perfection as a person can get.

by Anonymousreply 78November 30, 2014 11:06 AM

No R76 you got that backwards that's 91.

by Anonymousreply 79November 30, 2014 12:23 PM

What cracks me up about you bitchy cunts is most of you think you know everything about everyone. Everyone ages differently, some a lot better than others. Deal with it!

by Anonymousreply 80November 30, 2014 12:26 PM

The first signs of aging and wrinkles happen around the eyes - the shaving excuse is a moot point that case.

by Anonymousreply 81November 30, 2014 1:12 PM

Any man can have "flawless" skin, but men suffer something women don't - balding. Balding can age a man quicker than any sun exposure.

by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2014 1:14 PM

My face is very strange. I stopped hanging out in the sun 20 years ago and my skin looks far younger than I ever expected it to look at 43. That said, I have under-eye bags that wrinkle like hell when I smile. The end result is cheeks and a forehead that look fantastic, and eyes that make me look like a wizened old crone. Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 83November 30, 2014 1:21 PM

I'm 50 (female) and have no wrinkles but I've never been a big sun worshiper as I'm very fair. I have smoked off and on and drink but my father, close to 80, has very few wrinkles either so maybe I got his skin.

I always wonder, when I see people in their 30's and 40's with lots of lines and wrinkles, what the hell they do. Goopy has very deep lines in her forehead already.

by Anonymousreply 84November 30, 2014 1:57 PM

In short, wear sunscreen, kids. And for god's sake don't forget your hands! The hands always give it away, I wish someone had told me that 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 85November 30, 2014 2:16 PM

You could try to accept getting older and then getting old.

by Anonymousreply 86November 30, 2014 2:20 PM

Sunblock > moisturizer.

At least for light-skinned white people.

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2014 12:31 AM

I'm 73 but I look 25.

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2015 5:11 PM

I don't think it's just skin color. Whites with darker skin don't necessarily age better than those who are very pale. There has to be another reason blacks age so well.

by Anonymousreply 89February 10, 2015 5:21 PM

What a person eats can greatly affect their skin. Produce-FRESH FRUIT AND FRESH VEGETABLES are conducive to youthful skin. It also helps if you don't drink or take drugs.

by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2019 2:51 AM

OP how wonderful. Will you get one of those KPop hairdo's to compliment your ever youthful fair smooth skin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 15, 2019 2:58 AM

Is the person above a male or a female?

by Anonymousreply 92April 15, 2019 3:00 AM

It's a male. One of our many DL "30somethings", insouciant and youthful, unlined, "still a 29 waist" and yet who type like retired GAP shopbottoms.

by Anonymousreply 93April 15, 2019 3:06 AM

Whites age horribly. Most of them look like a used condom by the age of 30. Yuck

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2019 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!