Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I watched The Poseidon Adventure tonight

I was told that as a good gay, I should watch TPA. My question is, why do the gays love this movie. It was perfectly fine and fun, but I don't really get the gay connection.

by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2018 5:18 AM

In the water, you're a very fat lady, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2014 3:40 AM

To ogle at gay heartthrob Roddy McDowell.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2014 3:43 AM

Manny, if I get stuck, push!

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2014 3:47 AM

Gay Icon Ernest Borgnine!

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2014 3:48 AM

C'mon. Shelley Winters as a former swiing star gone to fat, Roddy McDowell, Pamela Sue Martin pre-Dynasty, and Stella Stevens playing sexy, slutty and delivering wisecracks.

How much more do you need, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2014 3:50 AM

The Love Boat type cast gives it some camp appeal, especially Shelly Winters (who got an Oscar nom and won a GG.) It's kinda Love Boat in hell.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2014 3:51 AM

Shove it! Shove it! Shove it!

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2014 3:52 AM

Does there HAVE to be a morning after?

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2014 4:46 AM

In the water, I'm a very skinny lady!

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2014 4:57 AM

[quote]Does there HAVE to be a morning after?

If we can hold on through the night, there is.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2014 5:06 AM

[quote]How much more do you need, OP?

Just panties

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2014 5:14 AM

Please. All gays love a story where a top bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2014 5:50 AM

It isn't gay. It's camp. All-star disaster movies from the seventies are camp and TPA is one of the finest.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2014 6:05 AM

R12 wins!

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2014 6:11 AM

We love the fact that Pamela Sue Martin just happens to be wearing hot pants under her evening gown.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2014 7:44 AM

I only remember having really enjoyed the film when it was first released. I don't recall any scene or scenes that were gay or camp, but the film seemed well put together and the story was fascinating to watch. I do recall Shelly Winters, but I don't remember Ernest Borgnine. It was a very long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2014 7:52 AM

I rented it years ago just to see Pamela Sue Martin.

I wonder why she didn't have a bigger film career afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2014 8:16 AM

R17) I recall reading there were rumours of drug issues (coke).

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2014 9:15 AM

It was the first of the disaster movies. I remember my family getting all dressed up for my tenth birthday to have a fancy dinner and see the movie in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2014 12:24 PM

It's a thoroughly enjoyable movie. Well made, great cast, some laughs, great real special effects, you care when they die, hell, even a great poster and logo. What's not to like, gay or straight? Best "disaster" film ever made. Movie magic struck and it can't be manufactured. That's why the two remakes failed, miserably.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2014 12:41 PM

The poster and even the marquee in NYC said "Combining The Talents Of 15 Academy Award Winners. It was nominated for 8 Oscars, winning for best Song and awarded a Special Achievement Award for Special Effects. It was also nominated for 4 Golden Globes including Best Picture opposite "The Godfather" and won for Shelley Winters.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2014 12:49 PM

I'm a big ocean liner fan, and I was pleasantly surprised to find so many gay men and women who love ocean liners as well, and TPA is a fave movie of ship geeks because it was filmed onboard the RMS Queen Mary. The movie is based on a novel by Paul Gallico, who based it on an incident in WW2 when the Queen Mary, loaded to the gill with troops, was broadsided by a huge wave. She almost capsized with over 15,000 troops on board. Fortunately, she righted herself.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2014 1:03 PM

[quote]Best "disaster" film ever made

That's still The Towering Inferno, but Poseidon Adventure is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2014 1:16 PM

Carol Lynley has Gloria Grahame face.

Ernest Borgnine screaming, "My Linda!" over and over again makes a great ringtone.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2014 2:16 PM

Maybe it's because it was such a LONG movie, with a lot of soap opera stuff involved, but I thought that The Towering Inferno would never end when I first saw it. To be honest, I'd rather sit through The Hindenburg, with its anti-Nazi espionage subplot, one more time than plod through Inferno.

On the other hand . . .

The Poseidon Adventure was one of the first movies I ever saw in a theater when I was young, and the effects were pretty amazing in its day. But I have to also add that Carol Linley & Red Buttons really irritated the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2014 2:23 PM

One of my favorite movies! I watch it every time its on TV.

If you like TPA, I highly recommend "Airport 1975" and "The Towering Inferno".

I never used to be frightened of small spaces, but the last time I watched it, I freaked out when they were crawling through the air duct and up the shaft.

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2014 2:23 PM

I was expecting Shelly Winters to be some fat pig and in the movie they kept making all these fat jokes, but she wasn't that big. She was a chubby grandma, which sort of fit the part. It wasn't like she was Two Ton Tilly or anything.

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2014 2:35 PM

[quote]But I have to also add that Carol Linley & Red Buttons really irritated the shit out of me.

They irritated the shit out of each other too.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2014 2:42 PM

Fine, R27 YOU get stuck behind her in a pipe.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2014 2:49 PM

And then there was the Academy Awards when James Caan was announcing the best supporting actress nominees, "... Maureen Stapleton, Fat City; Shelley Winters, giggle giggle giggle giggle...."

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2014 3:02 PM

It may have been the first disaster movie, but nothing beats my burning snatch falling out of a high rise window!

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2014 6:42 PM

There are many laugh out loud moments in this, but Shelly really does give a touching performance in this. She does not go all out camp like she would a few years down the road and you feel for her.

Many camp moments though -- climbing up the big aluminum Christmas tree, Captain Leslie Nielsen when the wave hits, the women (except Shelly) stripping so they won't fall, but keeping their heels on (including Pamela's matching hot pants), Shelly's dive, how they are rescued etc.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2014 8:13 PM

Love this movie OP, and watched on Amazon Prime just last week. Great cast, and many campy moments. I think it still ranks below Towering Inferno and Earthquake however.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2014 8:44 PM

Earthquake sucked, and unlike Inferno and Poseidon, it got bad reviews. Maybe it has some camp appeal, but I was never into it at all. Inferno was oodles of fun at the time but is boring today if you've already seen it. I think Poseidon holds up the best. It's also the only one that got remade.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2014 8:55 PM

Some of those disaster movies are fun, but they're tough to watch because they're so fucking long.

If you've got 10 big stars in it, each one of them gets PLENTY of time on screen.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2014 9:33 PM

When I was a little kid I thought Poseidon was a dirty reference, sort of related to "pussy."

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2014 9:48 PM

For me Poseidon had more heart than the others. Aside from Bobby Brady and Jennifer Jones, I didn't care about the characters in Towering Inferno. Every time I see Poseidon I feel the most relatable characters are both Rosens and both Rogos.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2014 10:01 PM

The gays love disaster movies because we know we would be part of the survivor group at the end.

Holding my breath under water as I type

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2014 10:18 PM

There's got to be a morning after!

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2014 10:24 PM

I saw a young officer on deck the other day, and he looked DAMN familiar... even with his clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2014 12:48 AM

Its all about Shelley Winters. She was so fabulous!

Plus, the movie was 70's high camp disaster drama. What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2014 12:52 AM

The third engineer promised to show me the propeller shaft!

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2014 12:54 AM

I agree that it holds the best of all the 70s disaster films (excluding the first Airport, which isn't really a disaster film but a big soap opera with a tense climax). And it's not that long, just under 2 hours, and flies by.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2014 1:42 AM

Why were disaster movies big in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2014 1:47 AM

[quote]And then there was the Academy Awards when James Caan was announcing the best supporting actress nominees, "... Maureen Stapleton, Fat City; Shelley Winters, giggle giggle giggle giggle...."

It was Robert Duvall. He and Cloris Leechman were presenting Best Supporting Actress.

Also, it was Susan Tyrell who was nominated for FAT CITY. Maureen Stapleton wasn't even in that.

Later, Duvall said he started cracking up because GODFATHER co-star James Caan was making funny faces off-camera. I still think that's bull, but I can't decide if it really was because Winters' name (whose character in POSEIDON ADVENTURE was fat-shamed) followed the title FAT CITY or because he thought her nomination in a disaster flick was a joke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2014 1:48 AM

It's no "Sharknado."

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2014 1:49 AM

I said this in a similar thread we had not long ago. I think a lot of the camp/gay appeal The Poseidon Adventure had came from watching an assortment of characters and extras face adversity clad in fabulous evening gowns, party clothes, and trendy ensembles.

Nothing screams camp louder than a screaming extra losing her grip and plummeting to her death in a 1972 Halston wrap dress and dangling earrings. That appealed to me even then as an 11-year-old baby gay.

Then there's Shelly. but she was meant to be comic relief, and thus a given.

However, when you add to all that the highly touted, celebrated, and awarded special effects, which for today's standards just add up to a bunch of people running back and forth in front of a tilting camera (and the infamous still image of the guy being electrocuted), what's there not to love?!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2014 1:13 PM

The remake is kinda campy, especially Richard Dreyfus. And Fergie.

But it's pretty boring overall except for when the ship turns over.

by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2014 1:19 PM

The cast looks back...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 17, 2014 1:40 PM

Do art directors still draw scenes frame by frame or has technology replaced some of this tedious job?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2014 2:02 PM

[quote]However, when you add to all that the highly touted, celebrated, and awarded special effects, which for today's standards just add up to a bunch of people running back and forth in front of a tilting camera (and the infamous still image of the guy being electrocuted), what's there not to love?!!

Sounds like a back handed compliment if there ever was. Honey, that water was real, that fire was real. Today it's all just CGI. These actor's earned their paycheck running, jumping, climbing and clearly all did their own under water work.

by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2014 2:06 PM

What got me is how bad the two TPA remakes were. The TV version incorporated a ridiculous terrorist sub-plot. The BOMB the terrorists planted capsized the ship? ROFL how stupid was that? The theatrical version scrapped the entire story and created new, boring characters that I could not sympathize with at all. And even the CGI effects were disappointing. I did enjoy the sequence when The captain and the lounge singer realized that the windows were breaking. But I could have cared less about the characters. Plus I can't stand Kurt Russell.

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2014 2:18 PM

[quote]What got me is how bad the two TPA remakes were.

Why fuck with perfection?

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2014 3:45 PM

[quote] Sounds like a back handed compliment if there ever was. Honey, that water was real, that fire was real. Today it's all just CGI. These actor's earned their paycheck running, jumping, climbing and clearly all did their own under water work.

You said it, R51.

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2014 3:53 PM

[quoteT]he theatrical version scrapped the entire story and created new, boring characters that I could not sympathize with at all. And even the CGI effects were disappointing.

I saw [italic]Poseidon[/italic] (2006) during its original run -- in IMAX, yet -- and it was all I could do to stay awake. Josh Lucas pinged off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 55November 17, 2014 3:53 PM

And Josh was in a gossip BI about a B list actor who left his wife after discovering he was more attracted to men.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2014 4:01 PM

Yeah, who thought that we as audience would care for Richard Dreyfuss's character as a hapless gay in the act of committing suicide because his lover left him when the wave hits and then kicks cute Freddy Rodríguez to his death to survive?

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2014 4:39 PM

[quote]Yeah, who thought that we as audience would care for Richard Dreyfuss's character as a hapless gay in the act of committing suicide because his lover left him when the wave hits and then kicks cute Freddy Rodríguez to his death to survive?

Jesus, who thought of that one?

by Anonymousreply 58November 17, 2014 4:41 PM

R48, does Emmy Possum play Pamela Sue Martin's character?

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2014 4:41 PM

[quote]Emmy Possum

Wasn't she a character in [italic]Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas[/italic]? Or maybe she was in [italic]The Phantom of the Opry[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2014 4:43 PM

Dreyfuss' character was one of the worst stereotypes in TV and movies - the lonely suicidal homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2014 4:52 PM

The same year that I went the theatre to see TPA I also visited Atlantic City This was the OLD Atlantic city before gambling.

Well it was the night of Miss America pageant and I can Remember some of the audience ladies wearing that same hot pants Over skirt slit up the front ensemble that PSM wears in the film.

I remember having an AhHa! Moment. It must have been a fashion trend!

by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2014 5:24 PM

Such a stupid movie lol the best scene is when the fat granny can't go on and gives her pearls to her granddaughter

by Anonymousreply 63November 17, 2014 5:30 PM

AMC used to have a show called BACKSTORY about the behind-the-scenes of classic movies. They did one on THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE in 2001.

Here's part one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 17, 2014 8:13 PM

And Part two:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 17, 2014 8:13 PM

[quote]Dreyfuss' character was one of the worst stereotypes in TV and movies - the lonely suicidal homosexual.

Sounds like half of DL's elder gays.

by Anonymousreply 66November 17, 2014 10:58 PM

That remake really did suck. Half the cast had " I Won't Survivr" tattooed on their foreheads.

Sing THAT theme song, Gloria Gaynor

by Anonymousreply 67November 17, 2014 11:20 PM

We haven't mentioned the sequel!

Don't forget

BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

Fortune hunters board the capsized liner the next day, A billion-dollar treasure! A deadly cargo of plutonium! A group of eleven survivors!

Courage beyond endurance! Suspense beyond belief!

Starring a Datalounge Dream Cast

Sally Field

Michael Caine

Telly Savalas

Peter Boyle

Jack Warden

Shirley Jones

Shirley Knight

Angela Cartwright

Veronica Hamel

Slim Pickens

Mark Harmon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2014 12:21 AM

I always wondered if they had hit the wave head on, rather than turning to the side, if it would still have capsized.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2014 12:32 AM

I may have to spring for the $2 to watch BTPO on Amazon Instant Video .... Too bad it is not Prime.

Maybe the whole thing is on YouTube. I must have seen it. I thinkI recall a scene ......SPOILER ....where Telly Savalas stabs Veronica Hamel ... With that and all the gunfire, it seems the people are the "disaster" in the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2014 1:20 AM

[quote] Josh Lucas pinged off the charts.

Haha he totally does.

Have you ever heard him as the voice on the Home Depot commercials? He's the "let's do this" guy.

Boy, does he ever lisp his way through those commercials. He's off the charts gay when you hear him speak, and those commercials really highlight that.

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2014 1:35 AM

Thank you, r64!

by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2014 1:43 AM

Oh, God--I've turned another one!

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2014 1:59 AM

[quote]It was the first of the disaster movies. I remember my family getting all dressed up for my tenth birthday to have a fancy dinner and see the movie in 1972.

Nice, how cool is that? I saw it at the Drive-in theater with my parents, it would become my favorite film for years.

As a young boy, I had a terrible crush on Gene Hackman, just like Pamela Sue Martin in the movie...I was crushed when his character died.

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2014 2:07 AM

Hey, I saw it with my family at the drive-in too!

I have vague memories of recognizing Pamela Sue from Nancy Drew... so either I'm remembering incorrectly, or we saw it a few years after it was originally released. It was summertime at the Wellfleet Drive-In on Cape Cod, so I suppose it could have been a showing that was a few years after it's release. Plus I was only 4 when the movie premiered, so I guess it's more likely I was a little older...

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2014 2:22 AM

It was a magical time to go to the movies. Movies were events. You stood on line and never complained and there was no HBO or DVD's in a few months. You had to go to the movies to see it and again and again. TPA was the biggest movie of the year yet it opened at Christmas on just two screens in NY and LA and played "exclusive" engagements until February when the picture started playing in the rest of the country and played the rest of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2014 2:59 AM

That's cool, thanks r76.

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2014 3:10 AM

Shirley Knight is excellent in "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure". Everyone else sort of sucks.

by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2014 4:38 AM

Everyone makes a big deal out of the Queen Mary, but she was merely an up to date design on the same ships Cunard has been designing for years. The French, Germans and even the Italians had more innovative and luxurious ships. The QM was lucky for being around because most of her peers had been scrapped or lost in WW 2.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2014 2:24 PM

[quote]It isn't gay. It's camp.

Someone isn't understanding how this works.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2014 2:29 PM

[quote]Everyone makes a big deal out of the Queen Mary

Because it couldn't have a gayer name if you called it HMS Arsefuck.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2014 2:29 PM

W&W for r81. But the Normandie was sexier. Although her life was brief.

by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2014 4:24 PM

No threads exist any more, so I'm np bumping this one and make it the DL break down thread.

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2014 5:44 PM

Glitch noticed here as well. It's happened before occasionally, only lasts a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 84November 20, 2014 5:47 PM

$18 for a broken website with no moderator or anyone manning the controls.

$18 to generate content for a company that doesn't give a shit about you.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 85November 20, 2014 7:19 PM

I thought hot pants was Carol Lyndley.

by Anonymousreply 86November 20, 2014 8:36 PM

[quote]I thought hot pants was Carol Lyndley.

No, she had this kind of hippie outfit. Pamela Sue Martin was wearing hot pants under her skirt and they were the exact same color.

by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2014 8:44 PM

My mother had one of those hot pants/evening dress get-ups. Now that I recall mom was quite the stylish hottie back in her day.

by Anonymousreply 88November 20, 2014 8:49 PM

No, she had this kind of hippie outfit. Pamela Sue Martin was wearing hot pants under her skirt and they were the exact same color.

by Anonymousreply 89November 20, 2014 8:55 PM

Poseidon bump because the DL broke down

by Anonymousreply 90November 20, 2014 11:36 PM

I think DL was capsized by a tidal wave.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2014 1:14 AM

r76 you are wrong. Looks like TPA had a wide US release just before Christmas '72. If you don't believe me check out page 64 of this Dec. 20 St. Petersburg Times archive. Also, TPA wasn't the biggest movie of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2014 1:36 AM

Maybe but that ad was the Grand opening of a huge multiplex. Perhaps they got a special engagement from Fox for the opening. Maybe it played exclusive engagements in big cities like Chicago but I know that it did not play in the tri-state of Long Island, Jersey and Connecticut until February.

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2014 2:21 AM

Here is the Village Voice ad where The Poseidon expanded from two screens in Manhattan to other theaters Feb 1st. (right below Deep Throat)

Page 75

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2014 2:29 AM

It's not a true Poseidon ad without the head shots.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2014 2:58 AM

I just watched the movie tonight thanks to this thread.

It's very well done and would be a hit today. Really a good story, interesting characters, very well cast and compelling production values, especially for 40+ years ago. It didn't have to rely on many special effects at all.

Importantly, both Carol Lynley and Pamela Sue Martin wear hot pants.

Shelley is the heart of the movie and deserved that nomination!

by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2014 2:03 AM

Thanks to this thread I've finally found out who supplied the voice for Carol Lynley's version of THE MORNING AFTER. That has been nagging at me ever since seeing TPA back in '72.

by Anonymousreply 97November 23, 2014 3:37 AM

'The Towering Inferno' definitely screams for a remake. I'm hoping Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling take the roles (but not the shoes) of Steve McQueen and Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 98November 23, 2014 10:10 PM

I remember years ago, when I was 9 years old, I saw [italic]Beyond the Poseidon Adventure[/italic] on the Disney Channel late at night.

I was shocked that such a violent movie was being shown on the Disney Channel.

I remember some lady named Suzanne being chased by some other guys and she eventually ended up killing one guy with an axe.

I remember the Disney Channel used to show other violent movies on late at night, such as [italic]Beneath the Planet of the Apes[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 99November 23, 2014 10:26 PM

No, r98 it does not. 1) why mess with perfection and 2) post 9/11 I don't think audiences want to see a movie about people trapped in a burning skyscraper.

by Anonymousreply 100November 24, 2014 12:32 PM

Starting on TCM right NOW!

by Anonymousreply 101December 17, 2014 12:02 AM

I was in elementary school when the movie was first released and didn't go see it because one of my classmates said Shelly Winters died, and I liked Shelly Winters and didn't want any part of that.

The other kids tried to save the situation by extolling Shelly's humor and courage, but I wanted no part of a film like that.

by Anonymousreply 102December 17, 2014 12:07 PM

Bette Midler doing Shelley Winters in "The Poseiden Adventure".

I don´t know why I find this so funny . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 17, 2014 12:16 PM

As the kids say these days, who's watching TPA in 2018?

Was "Don't let your son become a haberdasher" code speak for hope he's not gay and destined to a long lonely life?

Gotta say Leslie Nielsen in a non-comedy was something else...

by Anonymousreply 104August 19, 2018 4:39 AM

R3, I think I'm going to put that quote on my gravestone.

by Anonymousreply 105August 19, 2018 5:13 AM

This was the first movie I ever saw at the theater so it will always be special to me.

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2018 5:29 AM

wasn't there a hot guy in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2018 5:39 AM

I saw it when I was a kid and I hated that Noni character (Carol Linley). I wanted to drown the bitch myself.

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2018 5:58 AM

R104, Leslie Nielsen usually played bad guys at this stage of his career. He goes on a shirtless rampage in [italic]Day of the Animals[/italic] (a bizarre eco-horror film from 1977) and he’s great as a psychopathic villain in [italic]Creepshow[/italic] (which postdates his appearance in [italic]Airplane![/italic]).

by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2018 6:47 AM

Op the connection, if you're still alive, was that this was a big movie during the time of the DL Eldergay

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2018 7:04 AM

In terms of the actual release, if it makes any difference, I distinctly remember seeing if as the first feature at the drive-in and I’m sure we didn’t go around Christmas in Detroit (even though they had “electric heaters”). We might’ve gone in the spring though because I don’t remember playing outside before the movie. And TPA was still a big deal when it premiered on network television (the ABC Sunday night movie, I believe).

The Towering Inferno was a classier affair. We saw that at the Showcase Cinemas on a Saturday afternoon and my father went ahead of time and bought the tickets. Then we came home and watched Emergency!

by Anonymousreply 111August 19, 2018 8:10 AM

IMDB show a release date of Dec 12, 1972, which is good timing for a movie that is set on New Year’s eve. Given the blockbuster nature of the movie (and no vhs rentals back then) they likely ran it again a few months later in drive-ins.

by Anonymousreply 112August 19, 2018 8:31 AM

Back then movies as popular as Poseidon would be re-released a lot. I saw it when it came out and then 2 or 3 more times over the course of say 2 years.

The Godfather ran for almost a solid year at our local theater.

by Anonymousreply 113August 19, 2018 8:42 AM

You're probably thinking of stuntman/actor Ernie Orsatti who played Susan's date Terry, who falls backward into the overhead lighting in the ballroom....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 19, 2018 5:09 PM

Ernie's son Noon is also a stuntman and a fare hottie himself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 19, 2018 5:10 PM

At least Reverend Scott and Co. didn't have to contend with these while trying to get off the ship...although that would have been entertaining...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 19, 2018 5:14 PM

Ernie later appears in The Towering Inferno as the firefighter hanging on for dear life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 19, 2018 9:14 PM

I remember seeing TPA and TTI as a child. After going to movies, I would break out paper and colored pencils and 'recreate' scenes with my own drawings. Maybe it was my way of remembering movies that I liked. Anyway, I always tried to capture the death of the major characters in my drawings. I still remember drawing the towering inferno with bodies falling out of the elevator. And of course, Shelley Winters was my favorite!

by Anonymousreply 118August 19, 2018 9:29 PM

Air pockets!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 19, 2018 9:39 PM

Just Stella Stevens yelling "For Christ's sake, I know what to do with suppositories! " ALONE makes this a classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 19, 2018 10:33 PM

[quote]wasn't there a hot guy in the movie?

Call me unorthodox but with his broad shoulders draped in a wet,clinging turtleneck strategically ripped at the deltoid, I'd say Gene Hackman was the hottest dude in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 19, 2018 10:47 PM

Confidence and authority even with a rugged face is VERY sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 19, 2018 10:48 PM

I'll say one thing about The Poseidon Adventure. It's a much more entertaining movie than TITANIC. I wanted to throw Leo Caprio overboard and that was before he even got on the ship!

by Anonymousreply 123August 19, 2018 10:55 PM

R114- Isn't that Sue Ellen's shrink ca. 1980 on Dallas?

by Anonymousreply 124August 19, 2018 10:57 PM

Maybe you’re thinking of Jeff Cooper who played Dr Simon Ellby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2018 11:07 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2018 11:10 PM

I did that too r118

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2018 1:14 AM

We used to play Poseidon Adventure in the pool with our Fisher Price Houseboat. We'd even designate one of the Fisher Price people to be Shelley Winters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2018 5:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!