Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dubai

Is it as boring as many folks say it is?

by Anonymousreply 134December 5, 2019 5:33 PM

I really want to visit, it looks beautiful in pictures.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2014 2:05 AM

A completely manufactured place made on the backs of slave laborers imported from Africa and Asia.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2014 2:49 AM

I'm going to Du-baaaaaaaai!

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2014 2:54 AM

That idiotic World Islands project is now sinking back into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2014 3:50 AM

If you go to the non-tourist places, like deep into downtown Dubai, you can find incredibly hot hunky Arab guys who wear very revealing robes ad will engage in man-to-man sex with you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2014 4:32 AM

R4, wow really? What about that hotel that is shaped like a sailboat? Is that sinking too?

It's a big huge mall really.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2014 4:38 AM

Janet Jackson gives blow jobs under the dick dock nowadays in Dubai. Get youseff some!

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2014 4:39 AM

Of course, spend your money to support a homophobic Muslim country.

[quote]The United Arab Emirates includes the Emirates of [bold]Dubai[/bold], Abu Dhabi, Ras al-Khaimah, Umm Al Quwain, Ajman, Fujairah and Sharjah. Sexual relations outside of a traditional, heterosexual marriage are a crime. Punishments range from jail time, fines, deportation, and the [bold]death penalty[/bold]. Adultery and fornication are also crimes, and a person convicted of homosexuality may also face charges of adultery if they have a spouse while having sexual relations with a person of the same-sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2014 4:41 AM

R7 is completely obsessed with all things Janet Jackson and Janbot. I'd hire full-time security if I was either of them.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2014 4:41 AM

Hotels full of Russian prostitutes and Euro/Arab businessmen. All the workers from Philippines, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sudan. Feels a lot like Euro Vegas

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2014 4:42 AM

There are plenty of gays in Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2014 4:58 AM

I've visited a few times while transiting and there's little to recommend. Heading to a nice resort in the desert or in Fujeriah isn't awful, but you are still supporting a country that is not only homophobic, but effectively practicing slavery.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2014 5:28 AM

Not when hubbykins and I go there to beat up and kill slave girls.

Then the fun I have is as plain as the nose on my face. Was.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2014 5:39 AM

Caftans!

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2014 5:42 AM

R9, God damn it---don't you understand when English demands the invocation of the subjunctive tense in that sentence you wrote? Are you as fucking stupid as that fucking turd Jabba?

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2014 5:50 AM

OP, Have you seen "City of Life?"

R4, Are the highly touted fake islands really disintegrating?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2014 5:50 AM

[quote]Human rights organizations have complained about violations of human rights in Dubai. Most notably, some of the 250,000 foreign laborers in the city have been alleged to live in conditions described by Human Rights Watch as being "less than humane." The mistreatment of foreign workers was a subject of the disputed 2009 documentary, Slaves in Dubai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2014 5:56 AM

Aren't all these Arab places hell for anyone who enjoys freedom?

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2014 5:59 AM

R18 It's Muslim places. And for anyone used to freedom, yes, the atmosphere is oppressive after a bit.

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2014 6:15 AM

I doubt r19 has ever been even five miles away from mommy and daddy, let alone a "Muslim place".

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2014 6:27 AM

R20 = assumptive ass

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2014 6:34 AM

R21=gives new meaning to the Catholic holiday "Feast of the Assumption".

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2014 6:49 AM

It's not just homosexuality that's a crime.

Don't get raped there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2014 7:08 AM

Everyone I've met who likes Dubai has been really boring.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2014 7:21 AM

I lived there for 6 months.

Dull beyond words. I was offered a 3 year contract. big $$$. I agreed to 6 months to begin...I got out of there as soon as possible.

Despite the laws sex is easy and readily available. All the Arab men I was with were bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2014 11:48 AM

The big sailoat building turned out to be beside the point -- the interest was in the island on which it sat. Once they made that doable, the next push was for all those man made islands, one set of which was mentioned by R4.

Many are sinking now, but the point was to create more real estate. The sailboat building was just a test weight, ultimately.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2014 12:38 PM

No, I have not seen City of Life, R16.

I asked about the place as I have a lot of airline miles hoarded, so wanted to have a vacation of heading over there on Emirates business class for a few days. I'm fairly boring myself (read non-fiction books, watch documentaries, visit art museums, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2014 2:39 PM

I've been there several times while traveling for work. Great place to spend a lot of cash. I described it as:

Do Come

Do Stay

Do Buy

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2014 2:43 PM

Piece of shit hole 'country' in a piece of shit dusty dustier duster dusting a dust bowl stinking part of the world. Full of ignorant cunts, the locals BTW, who think they are superior to every race on earth - forgetting to smell themselves and look in the mirror when assuming their superiority. They exploit workers from poorer Asian countries which I don't really give a frogs fat ass about but I will pretend I do for the purpose of my argument. They fucking live like they are in medieval times and have laws to match, especially when it comes to drugs and sexuality (see link). Fuck the place!! If, like me, your idea if a holiday involves fucking transsexuals while high on coke stay away. Also don't eat a poppy seed baguette on the stopover or you are fucked. Burn this fucking place to the ground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2014 3:02 PM

Oooh lar lar Sa-soon

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2014 3:19 PM

The cow kicked Nelly in the belly in barn

But the farmer said it would do her no harm

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2014 4:15 PM

I see the late Michael Jackson as a light beige or ivory.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2014 6:39 PM

Story from a few years ago on sinking World Islands. Of course the developer is in denial and insisting all is well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2014 11:20 PM

Slaves of Dubai, documentary on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2014 11:36 PM

Dubai is even less interesting than Las Vegas as if that were even possible. Both are shit hole mirages where everything is unoriginal and artificial.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2014 11:40 PM

Seriously, is there anything to do there except prostitution and shopping?

by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2014 8:25 AM

At one point Abu Dhabi was going to have branches of the Louvre and the Guggenheim, but I have no idea whether that is still happening.

I wouldn't waste my points on a flight to Dubai. Maybe see if you can get a connection through to somewhere a little more interesting, like Sri Lanka. You could stop for a day or two to check out Dubai, but there really isn't anything more than shopping.

Despite being the most religious emirate, Sharjah has a bit more culture. Fujeriah has some nice enough beaches, and the deserts to the south can be quite awe inspiring if you've never seen a proper desert before. There's a very nice Anantara resort in the middle of nowhere which is quite decadent.

Oman is the place to go if you want to experience Arabia. It's even fairly progressive (for Middle Eastern standards... which means it's not at all progressive, but far better than its neighbours.)

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2014 8:43 AM

If you go bankrupt there, it's a criminal offense. That's why you see fancy cars abandoned at the airport.

by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2014 9:01 AM

R2 and R10 are correct. Dubai has also now become a hotspot for elitist Euro shits and some hollyweirders as well. Many of these people go there to get away from the "commoners" and don't give a fuck about all the horrible laws and slave labor going on around them.

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2014 10:54 AM

Let's boycott the Beverly Hills Hotel because of the owner's imposition of strict anti-gay Sharia Law in his country, but let's vacation/spend our money in Dubai, which has the same laws, because it seems like a "hip happening" place.

Hypocritical morons, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2014 11:20 AM

I can't see many people on this thread recommending Dubai as a place to spend our hard earned cash.

I've only been because my brother lived there. And I definitely don't recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2014 11:28 AM

Dubai, like most Muslim nations, are a paradox, when in comes to homosexuality. They are supposed to frown upon it and yet a large number of men probably indulge in it. Must be the repressive culture.

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2014 4:22 PM

Hotel review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2014 4:22 PM

Sailboat building:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2014 12:23 AM

Hotel review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2014 12:29 AM

It is a Muslim country so like Islam itself, it is a place of peace, justice and tolerance.

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2014 12:33 AM

Thanks, R37 -- I did want to visit Sri Lanka, so perhaps I'll look into a couple of days stopover to say I've "seen" Dubai, once.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2014 9:13 PM

Hmmm

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2016 5:41 AM

I think it's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2016 6:25 AM

Ironically just saw a well done Pierce Morgan (sp) travelogue of Dubai asking if the wealthy were concerned the country was going to run out of oil in less than 6 years. Tours of palatial homes, RE tripling in value, and yes the planned development for the private islands was covered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2016 10:30 AM

In Vegas there are so many things to do besides gamble. There's all kinds of music at all price points. Entertainment and shows, movies for $4 that are 1st run, public lectures at UNLV and adult ed courses, mini art exhibits and a wide variety of museums. Hiking, camping, and boating, and skiing in the winter are available about 1/2 hour away from the strip. You're not driving forever to get places either.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2016 10:47 AM

I was offered a job in Dubai a few years ago. Whilst the money was pretty good (compared to my job at the time, I would be making in excess of four times my annual salary, not to mention the tax set-up would leave me with more cash than what I would know what to do with) and the chances of promotion within my field when and if I came back were pretty good, I chose not to go, simply because I'd seen reports on how migrant workers and Westerners are treated and viewed over there.

The real kicker, though, was when a friend and colleague of mine suddenly and mysteriously quit his job with the Dubai branch, only to be rehired at our London office about forty-eight hours later. From what we were told, something "Bad" had happened in Dubai, something that was enough to have him seriously "tender resignation" and leave the country. The bank I worked for is known within the industry for our LGBT policies and if he had come out whilst in Dubai, he was sensible enough to not flaunt things or act in a stupid, reckless manner. But my colleague had been openly gay for years - in fact, he had been hired when he graduated from University and we'd always known him to be gay. The mystery rumbled on until Christmas 2014, when I asked him what the hell had happened in Dubai.

Basically, in August 2012, he'd been propositioned by a client of the bank to move in with the client and be his live-in boyfriend. He'd declined, politefully, reminding the client that such a proposition was offensive to himself and also illegal in many ways. In addition, the client was married with children. Oh, the client announced, that's okay, she lives in a seperate villa and I don't see the kids anyway, etc. Again, my colleague declined. Client was huffy, but seemed to drop the idea. Two nights later, my colleague was returning to his apartment. Client phones him, asks him if he wanted to go out for dinner to discuss details of an investment the client was thinking of taking up. Colleague says, sure, I'll need to go home and change first. Pulls into the parking garage in his building, gets out and was grabbed by three guys, held down and raped by the client and then by each of the three attackers.

My colleague had to be taken to hospital because of his injuries - he never called for an ambulance, but he winds up in . Here's the first taste of the disgusting attitude towards LGBT people in Dubai - his attackers would never have been prosecuted. In the hospital he's visited by two policemen, who tell him that they've received a complaint about him coming onto a young man in his building. The American doctor at the hospital protests the decision by the Police not to investigate the fact that my colleague has been raped and beaten up. The next day his office calls to tell him that the client has opted to go with another bank to deal with his investments, thus he's lost the company a shit-tonne of money. Never mind the fact that he's been attacked. So, a while later he gets back to work, things are getting a tiny bit better for him - and then, start of December 2012 he's going home to his apartment - different building, different part of Dubai - is going into the building and who gets in the lift with him but the same client. Colleague starts freaking out, tells him to get out, to leave him alone, etc. Client refuses to go, but apparently very calmly explains to him that the reason he was "forced to show you my power" was because my colleague had rejected his offer - and that he'd be willing to show him that "power" again. Colleague loses it, punches the client, pushes the client out of the lift, goes up to his apartment, calls his boss and tells his boss *everything*. Fortunately his boss understands and accepts what's happened. Calls are made, threats are given, ultimatums made, and my colleague is "demoted" back to the UK. Only condition, however, is that he has to leave "immediately". Everything he owned was abandoned - car, clothes, everything in his apartment - and he left with a suit carrier and an overnight bag.

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2016 11:35 AM

R52 continued...

The thing is - I've heard of similar stories about Dubai, but not so much the other Emirates. Dubai has a reputation of being something of a magnet for seedy bastards and utter cunts. One of my friends is a journalist and she was compiling stories for a piece she was writing about sex abuse in Dubai and the number of times she came across allegations of "vanished" Westerners - especially young men and women - were startling. A friend of my ex-boyfriend's, who worked in Dubai, now based in Sharjah, said that there seems to be an undercurrent where Westerners can just vanish - and that this has been going on for at least twenty years. I mean, christ, the inconsistencies re: Timmy MacColl (sailor who vanished in Dubai) are fucking farcical. The thing with Dubai though is that Dubai *does* place a second-class citizen tag on every non-UAE citizens head, so when they go missing or something horrific happens to them, the local police don't react as fast as they would if it happened to a UAE male citizen. I know that sounds racist, but unfortunately, it's true.

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2016 11:48 AM

Crazy story R53/52, but not surprising. I have spent a week or so in Dubai several times (for work) and left with the thought that "this would be what Las Vegas was like if Las Vegas was an independent country."

Super tacky, the whole Indians/Filipinos/Africans-as-almost-slaves things was creepy. The rich Arabs who clearly felt all laws were above them.

Fascinating to see the whole thing but I would never go there on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2016 12:04 PM

Had a friend a few years ago have a live in "sex toy". A young (i don't know how young) Indian guy who serviced his every needs. In return he paid him and at the end of his tour there arranged for the young man to return to India somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2016 12:19 PM

If you want to be executed for being gay this place is perfect for you!

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2016 12:33 PM

Well at least the islands are sinking.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2016 12:41 PM

R52, R53, I once worked for a very small, Iranian Muslim owned company in LA. I was always well treated once they learned I was very honest with money. Neither of us was at all religious, and we all agreed the ultra observant of all countries was not a good thing.

Since it was the time of the OJ trial on TV they explained the concept of morality in the Mid East as they experienced it. Essentially those with power and wealth have a different set of rules. As long as the bank employee was extremely discreet, and pleased the wealthy customer, nothing would have happened to him no matter how technically illegal their activities.

I once ran across a high end "modelling" book of NY talent that would be open to be flown anywhere in the world. While most of the pictures were of young women there were a few at the end of transsexuals. Then there was a description of beautiful "women" for the bored men who wanted to "be a little adventurous." Once you got to the pics of the "real women" in extremely revealing clothing, there was an offer for "young, extremely fit gentlemen of any race or size" to accompany the pretty girls and show the customer "all the possibilities" that could be enjoyed. Of course the utmost discretion was always assured.

If I had been gay and the bank employee I would have accepted the original dinner invitation with the wealthy, customer and explained my concern re violating his countries laws and then asked his advice on how I should proceed. I would always make him feel like he was totally in control of the situation, and I was "his humble servant."

Think of it as if you were a newbie in the world of acting and a powerful casting director, agent, or major producer or even a director comes on to you at a party in front of others. You'd better be careful how you turn them down, or else you'll be permanently blackballed. Yes I've known of countless others in many different fields who haven't gotten jobs, promotions, and have been fired for very similar reasons in the US. It's happened to me as well.

Perhaps I was somehow lucky and always really misinterpreted the passes from the very famous as simple flirting and chivalry. Acting on them can also lead to being blackballed in your industry. What a slippery road in which to travel.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2016 7:11 PM

Before, Tahiti was the go-to spot for alcoholic European expats. Now it is Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 59February 1, 2016 12:02 AM

R59, Don't the Beckhams have a posh place in Dubai?

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2016 12:34 AM

I've heard Dubai is heaven for twinks. Twinks are who Muscly Arab men like to fuck. Any confirmation on this?

by Anonymousreply 61February 1, 2016 1:34 AM

What a creepy, seedy, tacky hellhole for tacky, seedy people.

by Anonymousreply 62February 1, 2016 1:52 AM

Buck would have never visited Dubai

by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2016 7:06 AM

Dubai is a playground for the uber wealthy. If you really want to spend your holiday despising rich people there is no better place than Dubai. Don't try and pretend to be one of them or you will end up not just broke but get beaten up, or worse, for being an imposter.

by Anonymousreply 64February 1, 2016 7:54 AM

To answer the question, there are some charms beyond the glitz. There are some interesting art galleries and events in Al Quoz and DIFC -- serious people-watching -- and non-touristy restaurants. I liked walking along the creek on warm nights; they've fixed it up nicely and (credit where it's due) very safe to be out there at any time.

A little outside the city, parts of the desert, coast and mountains are pretty, unspoiled.

That stuff aside, someone made a good point: Independent of nationalities, it does do real well in attracting slimy, rancid cunts. My thought while living there was that literally and otherwise, everybody is trying hard to fuck someone.

And as noted, prostitution is rampant.

I dunno about lots of Westerners disappearing, can believe things happen that don't get in the newspapers. I believed the stories about bad things happening after people got drunk, which is easy to do. The place is up to its neck in bars.

Emiratis make up about 17% of the country's population and my memory is that South Asians make up about 60%. It very much can feel like Dubaindia.

by Anonymousreply 65February 1, 2016 8:53 AM

Why I left Dubai and won’t come back, part 1/2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 1, 2016 8:15 PM

Why I left Dubai and won’t come back, part 2/2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 1, 2016 8:15 PM

Americans in Dubai

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 1, 2016 8:20 PM

Good points made by the woman who wrote the blog post(s). I lived there for 18 months and what she relates is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 69February 1, 2016 9:52 PM

If you go on Dubai Craigslist M4M, T4M, or F4M you will see TONS of prostitutes but they are looking for rich arab sugar daddies. They play on how Arabs want someone underage, and Islam is not for women's rights, the rights of boys and girls-they mutilate their genitals and rape them, and LGBt rights.

A Jewish woman I know went to Dubai and I was seriously surprised since Dubai is against Israel.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2018 11:06 PM

R42 I went to university with men from the UAE and they told me how in most Muslim countries being a pedo/hebephile towards girls and boys is apparently accepted, but if you are bisexual or gay you risk being imprisoned, executed, and murdered by family and friends.

by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2018 11:21 PM

BOYCOTT DUBAI! STAY AWAY! EVEN DRINKING TOO MUCH OR IN THE WRONG PLACE CAN LAND ONE IN PRISON.

by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2018 11:26 PM

Jesus Christ at R52s story😼

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2018 1:16 PM

I have zero interest in visiting Dubai. It would be suffocating for me to be surrounded by people who are only and purely materialistic.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2018 2:11 PM

R74, I would not like it either, if you do not like people who are only or mainly/purely materialistic avoid going to SF, L.A., and Vegas as well.

by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2018 2:13 PM

Dubai or not Dubai, that is the question.

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2018 2:17 PM

I spent a couple days there. It’s hotter than hell so you run into airconditioned cars and buildings all the time. It’s hard not to laugh at all the silly clothing. Designer shoes poking out from under black sheets. Soulless place. Used to be nothing more than a camel farm in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 77April 23, 2018 2:23 PM

I’ve been numerous times for work and always had a blast.

by Anonymousreply 78April 23, 2018 2:23 PM

[quote] [R74], I would not like it either, if you do not like people who are only or mainly/purely materialistic avoid going to SF, L.A., and Vegas as well.

I do actually. I've avoided vegas for the same reason. Florida too.

Sanfran has the old guard you can hang out with at least. LA has interesting pockets like NYC does.

by Anonymousreply 79April 23, 2018 2:31 PM

Having grown up there---I believe R 52/53's story to be absolutely true.

Non-white and non-Arab people are treated like shit. It is common practice that if you have a maid in your house she will be providing sexual services to the men of the house. In fact, Arab men hire "maids" to have sexual relations with their teenage sons because society is so segregated and the boys might use their male friends as an "outlet" if women are not available.

I know of at least three while teenage boys from my school years that "ran away" from their homes for weeks and when they were found they, along with their families, up and left to move back to their homelands overnight.

Growing up we used to hear of stories all the time where teenage boys would be kidnapped from the airport upon arrival and later found having been severely abused (and in one case dead)

by Anonymousreply 80April 23, 2018 2:38 PM

wow that story at R52 is nuts but I'm glad he made it out OK.

A friend of mine worked there for about 4 or 5 years as a nurse. she is pretty and blonde. she has been followed by cars etc. she went there with her husband (also a nurse ) and kids. they had good jobs there and they paid for their lodging and moving expenses. there were a lot of perks but she said the economy wasn't doing great and her husband's contract was not renewed so they left.

She did tell me that the sheiks there do whatever the fuck they want, eat and drink anything.

by Anonymousreply 81April 23, 2018 2:45 PM

So is there any justice in this world? Will Dubai ever just blow up?

by Anonymousreply 82April 23, 2018 3:16 PM

R78 did you hire any adult male hookers?

by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2018 5:52 PM

A friend of mine told me this about the Instahoes that go to Dubai. It's disgusting and obviously NSFW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 23, 2018 5:52 PM

Erna would love it!

by Anonymousreply 85April 23, 2018 6:05 PM

Dubai love their malls. Geez, they're as big as small Amreican towns. Homosex definitely happen a lot because of gender segregation and repression (true in most of Arabia). And most of that occurred before Dubai become what it is now , where girls are easily available. But that's not to say homosex is no longer rampant.

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2018 11:18 AM

Yes they have huge malls and one has an indoor ski place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2018 4:13 PM

It’s where good taste goes to die. I felt dirty being around all those Emirati trash.

by Anonymousreply 88April 24, 2018 4:16 PM

R80 since you are supposedly from Dubai or the UAE, is it true that most men are pedos/hebephiles? In the days of yahoo chat via Yahoo messenger I had a profile and some guy who claimed to be from an Arabic country said how in his country if you are a bisexual or gay man you risk being executed, imprisoned, and murdered by your family/friends, but how a lot of the men that are straight up pedophiles towards young boys and teenagers. Is this true?

What else is Dubai like?

by Anonymousreply 89April 24, 2018 4:26 PM

r89-- Yes, very very true. Ironically, if a guy was interested in a under-age girl he was get executed in the middle of the street but if it is a young boy is is ignored. I think it is a form of pedestry.

by Anonymousreply 90April 27, 2018 1:43 AM

And this is the place Lindsay Lohan calls "home?" She's probably way too old (and frankly lost her looks) for the really wealrhy guys and being used as a lower level escort to do these Instagram fetishes. I remember one poster said about 2 years ago on DL, that Lohan needs to be careful. It's a wonder Lohan is even alive.

Kim Kardashian was over in Dubai just last year flogging makeup presumably. Kim also "sold' herself to that Viennese guy who hires women to go to the Viennese ball with him. This was when Kim was married to Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 91April 27, 2018 3:48 AM

I think r52's colleague dodged a major bullet by getting out of there. If he had given in to the client's proposal, I have no doubt he would have wound up in extremely dire circumstances eventually. That guy's instincts likely saved his life.

by Anonymousreply 92April 27, 2018 3:54 AM

That was a horrible story about your friend R52. At least he’s alive.

The malls are their lives there and you’re nothing if you don’t dress up in crazy designer stuff. Kim Kardashian was selling makeup classes there for $ 1600 per class or so. The weather is sucky almost the whole year. They pay people with US/UK etc. passports more than they pay the people from India/ Pakistan to do the same job.

Of course there are little brown slaves everywhere. Go for a few days but don’t sign any contracts until you get a “feel” for the place.

by Anonymousreply 93April 27, 2018 4:14 AM

I posted this experience I had while visiting jordan. I was doing serious graduate research and wound up meeting (as scheduled) the Minister of a Government Department. He pulled my chair up right in front of his in his grand office and was just warming up to proposition me/touch me but I managed to act stupid and deflect it. I was disgusted. There were photos of King Hussein on the walls, his wife, etc. I couldn't wait to get out of that office. Out of the country.

I believe all these stories.

by Anonymousreply 94April 27, 2018 4:14 AM

I can't remember where I heard it but they fuck women for procreation but fuck boys for fun.

by Anonymousreply 95April 27, 2018 4:37 AM

Or, R5, stick a shiv between your ribs.

by Anonymousreply 96April 27, 2018 5:01 AM

I like it. I've visited twice. If you don't make up your mind to hate it before you even go (like several on here clearly have), you'll have a great time. I'd go back, for sure. There are lots of beautiful beaches, great shopping (not the boring western malls, but street shops and souks), and they're very friendly. It's a fun combo of east meets west.

by Anonymousreply 97April 27, 2018 5:16 AM

It's Las Vegas without the gambling, booze hot people and freedom.

by Anonymousreply 98April 27, 2018 5:16 AM

R90/R80 I was friends with a man from UAE whilst at university, and he said how he could not do things most people in other countries do like drive a car a few miles away from home without a lot of documentation and he would get stopped by officials, etc.

We did not talk about sex, or sexuality. Is is true that in most Islamic countries sexual abuse and rape of young boys/teenagers or pederasty is somehow ignored like you said? Or how in UAE if you are very rich basically you can buy your way out of any crime or anything? I have heard of women who are not Arabic going there as prostitutes, and some of them disappear and nothing is really done about finding them. Is this also true?

The below link claims some of the gross things that the rich Arabs in Dubai want to do with models, and it goes way beyond anal sex and watersports (sex with piss).

R94 Are you a woman, or man?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 27, 2018 8:24 PM

R97 a friend of mine who I grew up with was in the Navy and he was aboard a ship near UAE and during shore leave he and his friends would go to Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and they said how alcohol was easy to get even though it was a Muslim country, and how they did not buy a lot in the malls because everything was super expensive, but would just go and watch rich people, or go and look at the insanely expensive things for sale in stores. I believe my friend also went to their indoor ski area, since he likes to ski and it is insanely hot there.

by Anonymousreply 100April 27, 2018 8:27 PM

Porta potties!

by Anonymousreply 101April 27, 2018 9:06 PM

r93 There is no reason Kim K would need to sell herself. For a while there was someone really trying their best to push this story. The Kardashians are very rich and they have always had money. They are also very tight with the most powerful man in the music industry, Irving Azoff. Azoff is probably a billionaire and his kids grew up with the Kardashians since they were born. But if it gets you hard to think about Kim selling herself to some Arab, then enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 102April 27, 2018 9:30 PM

R102 you are so naive. They may hang around rich and powerful people, that doesn't mean they are. at least not in the beginning. Everyone in the industry has an appearance fee. If you pay, they will appear. I remember a few years ago, Kim K was paid a lot of money to be at a party in the hamptons, just to take selfie with guests etc. She is rich because she make appearances like that!

Also, Paris Hilton (when she was the IT girl) was paid a million or some obscene amount to spend time with a Japanese billionaire. Paris grew up wealthy and powerful too. Yet she still met with the Japanese Billionaire. who knows if she fucked him?

by Anonymousreply 103April 27, 2018 9:48 PM

They are all skanky whores.

by Anonymousreply 104April 27, 2018 9:51 PM

I met someone who was raised in Dubai who said that if you are in financial debt you can actually go to prison. Pretty grim, if true.

by Anonymousreply 105April 27, 2018 10:39 PM

R99, you've come up with a brilliant diet device. Anyone who's hungry just has to read that article and, poof, appetite vanishes.

by Anonymousreply 106April 27, 2018 11:04 PM

Jealous much, R101? ;-)

by Anonymousreply 107April 27, 2018 11:58 PM

R102 the Kartrashians may claim to have lots of money, but in reality they spend tons of money to appear rich and wealthy, so I would not be surprised if they were in massive debt or close to being broke and need another source of income. What R103 said is true.

by Anonymousreply 108April 28, 2018 12:01 AM

That's true R93, they pay South Asians or Indians less than they do Europeans and Americans for the same work.

by Anonymousreply 109April 28, 2018 5:10 PM

Does anyone else remember when Michael Jackson went to Duabi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 29, 2018 9:55 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2018 1:02 AM

R111 she probably gets passed around by the wealthy ex-pats and Arabs? Or is sleeping her way up that chain of command? Kim Kartrashian also does the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 112May 1, 2018 9:22 PM

This is why I believe Lindsay Lohan is a drug runner or money runner of some sort, for very shady people.

by Anonymousreply 113May 1, 2018 9:31 PM

[R2] is absolutely right, however I have had some of the hottest secret sex there.

(with Arab guys, german, south africans, a dutch guy and finally with the belgian with a baguette sized cock)

It all starts with a discreet look, it's just like the old days, just don't get caught!

by Anonymousreply 114May 1, 2018 9:32 PM

The place is as vile and worthless as Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 115May 1, 2018 9:35 PM

R105 in Switzerland as well.

by Anonymousreply 116May 1, 2018 9:36 PM

R111 the BLOAT. And does that kind of bloat, float?

by Anonymousreply 117May 1, 2018 9:37 PM

R114 wasn't that scary? What did the Arabs tell you about what actually happens in Dubai? Did they say how being an adult bisexual or gay man is illegal and can literally get you killed, but how that sick pedo/hebephile stuff is somehow not looked into or nobody gets arrested for it?

by Anonymousreply 118May 2, 2018 12:58 AM

Rape both of adults and minors, is common and covered up in Dubai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 5, 2018 11:26 AM

More detailed article about gang rape of French teenager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 5, 2018 11:53 AM

Dubai is a place I would personally never visit, along with many other Muslim countries as I am a bisexual man and have been out for decades, and would not feel safe there.

by Anonymousreply 121May 6, 2018 10:12 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 11, 2018 12:33 AM

I saw this on the news today and I was shocked that I haven't read about it before. Long story short - Latifa Al Maktoum, the daughter of the immensely powerful and wealthy ruler of Dubai and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, tried to escape her controlled life and abusive father. She managed to escape on a luxury yacht but was captured by the coast of India. No sign of life since. She attempted an escape at 16 years of age in 2002 but was captured. She was secretly jailed for 3 years and drugged by doctors to stop her rebellious attitude. Her second attempt to escape was in 2018, she was smuggled out by a french spy (Hervé Jaubert) on a yacht where travelled to the coast of India, her goal was to reach the US to seek political asylum. The last sign of hers were emails and voicecalls from the yacht. 'Stirling said in the last voice mail she received Latifa sounded terrified. She said: 'She appeared to be highly distressed and in a state of panic. She said 'Radha please help me, there are men outside' and that she had heard 'gunshots'. 'She said she was hiding in the bathroom, which I assumed to mean onboard the boat, with her (unidentified) 'friend'. I requested that she make voice recordings and videos and send as much information as she could. 'However, I received no response after this and only saw that she had been online intermittently for a few minutes after the call. I typed further questions but they remain unseen.' She has not been seen or heard of by anyone since. Hervé Jaubert is the name of the french spy, he is also a former french navy officer, marine engineer, former secret DGSE agent and author. He escaped Dubai by boat in 2008 which is why Latifa contacted him to help with the escape. He was held in Dubai prison for 2 weeks, then released. Tiina Jauhiainen is Latifas private capoiera teacher and very close friend who also helped her attempted escape, she was kept in a Dubai prison for 2 weeks. She was released but threatened over the phone continously by the Sheikhs men. In an article with a swedish newspaper, Tiina stated that Latifa had said 'She would rather flip burgers and be free in America than wealthy and oppressed in Dubai'. The finnish government adviced her very strongly against talking about the case for her own safety. She released a video before her escape with more details regarding the case

Edit - Technically this case has been open since 2000-2002, the first attempts of escape from the two sisters. It's only catching the light of day now with Latifas secondary escape attempt, disappearance and very telling video.

She reached the border of Oman before, where she was captured and tortured for 3 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 11, 2018 12:34 AM

R120, I wonder what happened in that rape case.

by Anonymousreply 124May 11, 2018 1:20 AM

R124 Here's an article about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 11, 2018 10:44 AM

My friend went to Dubai and UAE to visit relatives who were working there for three years. He said it was like Vegas on steroids, super hot, and extremely expensive, as in more expensive than Scandinavian countries, and even Switzerland.

My friend said it is easily the most soulless place he has ever been, and he is from India and has been to most South and East Asian countries. The aquarium in the Dubai mall has a sign next to it saying that this is the world's largest single piece of acrylic. All they care about is that everything has to be bigger and more expensive than anywhere else. It's all brand new and bland and tons of unfinished buildings. His relatives who were working there said how they would never go back there ever again, and that they were basically treated like slaves, and were not paid nearly enough for the construction work they were doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 10, 2019 8:28 PM

Wasn’t impressed. Not a must see by any means.

by Anonymousreply 127May 10, 2019 8:35 PM

Dubai is fascinating in the way that excess, decadence and religious bullshit are fascinating. If you're going to be short-circuited by those things then don't go. If you can look at them with a sense of cultural curiosity, you'll enjoy your visit. Everyone here seems to be complaining that it's not this and not that. It is what it is, like every other place on Earth. Yes, one part of it is soul-less but there's another part of it that isn't. The Vegas comparison is reasonable as they are both places that were reinvented for human consumption. Personally, I find Vegas far more soul-crushing than Dubai. Also, the hidden Dubai is not expensive. A meal in a local restaurant goes for about 5 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 128May 10, 2019 8:50 PM

[quote]All they care about is that everything has to be bigger and more expensive than anywhere else.

Some Chinese have this mentality, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 10, 2019 9:31 PM

Actually, that link does not go with the comment about China - obviously. Marcon is creepy though. Money, all about money.

by Anonymousreply 130May 10, 2019 9:32 PM

Chinese harvest organs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 12, 2019 8:19 AM

I have no interest in going there or giving the UAE even more money. A guy I went to university with was from the UAE. He was very nice and he said how he loved the fact that in the United States he could basically go anywhere or do anything, and how it is not like this in the UAE. He said how the ultra-rich control everything there, and how he could not even drive a car without private land owner's guards or the official police telling him he could not drive near or on private land or asking for all sort of paperwork and ID.

by Anonymousreply 132December 5, 2019 5:15 PM

Michael Jackson went there to get little arabs.

by Anonymousreply 133December 5, 2019 5:25 PM

It is a cultural wasteland. So if you are looking for culture there, forget it. It's good for tax-free shopping though, and food.

by Anonymousreply 134December 5, 2019 5:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!