Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Book Club: "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" by Lee Israel

This is the memoir of the woman who wrote exhaustive biographies of Tallulah Bankhead and Dorothy Kilgallen, and later was charged with forging letters from famous people for money.

It was short -- intended to be a magazine article, and it shows. But what a story. The author made good money on two biographies and (she implies) drank and frittered it away. When the money ran out she began forging letters from people like Dorothy Parker and Noel Coward and selling them to dealers in rare correspondence. (The book has a number of examples, all quite convincing.)

When she was in danger of being caught, she switched tactics -- she'd go to libraries and archives to "examine" rare letters, then make her own copies, come back, and switch them out for the originals, which she'd sell to antiquarians. She was finally discovered, and after a long legal process sentenced to house arrest and probation.

What's remarkable is how unrepentant she is about the whole affair... much of this reads like the bragging of a sociopath. The most chilling story involves the time before she was dead broke, when she was trying to sell books at Strand Books and was treated rudely by the clerk.

Months later she saw his assistant in the street, leaving his apartment with a dog on a leash. She sneaked into the lobby, got the name of a neighbor and called Strand Books. When the clerk's assistant came to the phone, she impersonated the neighbor and said there was a fire in the building -- "and they're not going back in for the pets." She took great satisfaction in the guy dropping the phone in panic and running out of the store.

Alcoholic, lesbian, vicious -- but not without talent and wit. Still, I wouldn't want to know her. Has anyone else read this?

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2019 5:07 PM

I posted a long reply but it was rejected. I forgot that we can't use the last name of Lee I.

She wrote a profile of Elaine Stritch in the NY Times - June 23, 1968 "Stritch: She Got Raves in 'Private Lives' (And Was Out of Work a Week Later)"

Stritch calls Lee I. "one hell of a writer" and she referenced her in AT LIBERTY, her one-woman show.

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2014 5:38 AM

r1 - I had the same problem and had to rewrite the post.

Lee WAS one hell of a writer. Given her memoir, though, I have to wonder how much of the Bankhead and Kilgallen biographies was fiction.

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2014 5:43 AM

She supposedly hangs out at Julius in the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2014 9:46 AM

I used to see Lee at 4X12, now The Cubby Hole.

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2014 9:48 AM

She's a liar, forger, and thief and seems almost proud of all that she put over on other people. By publishing this book she's being rewarded for her criminal activities.

Some of her forgeries were included in a collection of Noel Coward letters published in 2007. She's pleased with that fact. Now, people researching Noel Coward won't know that those letters aren't the thoughts and words of Coward.

It's not a surprise that Stritch would call her a hell of a writer. Half of everything Stritch claimed about her life was fiction, so Lee probably built on that fiction when she wrote about Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2014 1:21 PM

I read it and enjoyed it. But I do think this part of your post was hilarious:

[quote] Alcoholic, lesbian, vicious -- but not without talent and wit.

As though "lesbian" is just one more in a series of insults. And this on a "supposedly" gay board.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2014 3:38 PM

It seems the headlines are uncensored.

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2014 3:40 PM

[quote]It seems the headlines are uncensored.

And it seems to be the same for author.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2014 4:06 PM

However, R0chelle (as in the infamous Dav!da R0chelle) doesn't work in the author box. It turns into {...}

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2014 4:15 PM

[quote]Months later she saw his assistant in the street, leaving his apartment with a dog on a leash.

When I read that, I froze, because OP had called her a sociopath, and anticipated the end of the story would feature the corpse of the dog or something.

What she did was horrible, but not sociopathic.

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2014 6:15 PM

Sounds like a horribly fascinating story, but I won't be contributing to her literary crimes by buying the book.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2014 6:45 PM

[quote]As though "lesbian" is just one more in a series of insults. And this on a "supposedly" gay board.

Sorry, r6 -- you're right. I meant "but not without talent or wit" to modify "vicious," but the way it was written it also was counterpoint to "alcoholic" and "lesbian." It was unintentional and I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2014 6:48 PM

"When she was in danger of being caught, she switched tactics -- she'd go to libraries and archives to "examine" rare letters, then make her own copies, come back, and switch them out for the originals, which she'd sell to antiquarians. She was finally discovered, and after a long legal process sentenced to house arrest and probation."

If you're going to take up crime, take up white-collar crime, because it's practically legal!

If I start forging meso-American artifacts and sell them to wealthy collectors, will a judge give a shit?

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2014 9:52 PM

So why give her any publicity at all? Are you shilling her book? She clearly doesn't deserve to be financially rewarded. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2014 10:14 PM

The book came out more than 6 years ago. It's a good, fast, entertaining read. I took it out from the library and read it when it was first published.

It's not even in print any longer in print form. It's worth reading and it's in most public libraries.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2014 10:21 PM

Trailer for Melissa McCarthy's movie adaptation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2018 7:26 PM

I knew her. She was sneaky, couldn't look me in the eye. SHe would complain about the Kilgallen book, she thought it would set her up for life- what with a movie, reprinting, etc etc. Didn't happen, she spent money she didn't have.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2018 7:47 PM

In her own one woman show, Elaine Stritch said Lee Israel was “a well regarded writer.” I never had the impression that Elaine Stritch was a liar. She seemed very honest about her life, her mistakes and her regrets. She was open about her alcoholism, her fears and vulnerabilities. R5, do you have proof that Elaine Stritch was a liar?

Aside from this, Lee Israel was a brilliant writer. Her biography of Tallulah Bankhead was one of the finest ever written.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2018 8:10 PM

Interesting little story.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2018 1:33 AM

I love the idea that Stritch's opinion of a writer's reputation has to be correct, because someone who never knew Stritch had the impression that she was not a liar.

And even if she was right about the regard Israel was held in, that would somehow mean she was a good, accurate biographer who operated with a level of integrity.

I have to admit, I also wondered about the veracity of Israel's biographies after reading her memoir.

By the way, I knew Strictch and she was a liar about big things and small ones.

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2019 2:13 PM

israel

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2019 2:16 PM

Lee Israel

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2019 2:17 PM

I have a signed copy of CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME. Wonder if it's a forgery!

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2019 2:45 PM

Lee Israel was everything you've said, but she was a fascinating New York character - I would have loved to have known her. Not been a close friend, just a dinner companion now and then.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2019 4:50 PM

I'd say even the Kilgallen bio was disappointing as Lee couldn't get Dorothy's familly, friends and former WML colleagues to cooperate and sit down for interviews.

I would have LOVED to hear what Arlene had to say.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2019 5:00 PM

I used to see her at Julius. So weird they made a movie about her. Nasty old unhappy woman - but a classic old Village character. Didn’t know who she was but as one of the few women regulars, very memorable. It’s why I love Julius. One of the few remnants of old school Village. But also a reminder of how alcoholism can make for an unhappy life.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2019 6:01 PM

I liked the movie and Lee's character (and her, of course). Something of a genuine person. I thought Melissa's portrayal was mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2019 5:18 AM

Is Melissa convincing as Jewish? I can't see that.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2019 5:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!