Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Norman Lear's New Memoir – Exclusive Excerpt & Interview

Norman Lear never was one to be stifled with. When Fred Silverman turned to him for a show to upgrade the image of CBS — the Tiffany network that, through the enormous popularity of The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and Hee Haw, had come to stand for Country Bumpkins Supreme — Lear knew exactly the path he wanted to take. He would turn the sitcom landscape into a minefield where the timid dare not tread, taking on the Big Issues of the time: The Vietnam War. Civil Rights. Women’s Liberation. Hippie culture. The growing chasm between America’s Haves and Have-Nots. Lear would introduce Archie Bunker into the American cultural pantheon, damn the consequences.

RelatedNorman Lear On [Archie Bunker's] Big Mouth, [Edith Bunker's] Faith, & [Norman Lear's] Patriotism -...

Not, however, with the wagging finger of the pedant. Lear, who had written comedy with Ed Simmons for Martha Raye, and Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin, produced variety shows and feature films with his Tandem Productions partner Bud Yorkin and hung out with Hollywood’s crack-a-minute cadre of gagmeisters that included Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Sid Caesar and Neil Simon among countless others, was one of the funniest men alive. Is one of the funniest men alive, I hasten to add, for at 92, he has lost none of the inciseveness that scores his wit with rivulates of sass, Yiddishisms and wisdom. His self-deprecating humor springs from every page of Even This I Get To Experience (coming out next week from Penguin), the memoir of a self-made man who, by the end of the 1970s had seven of the top 10 shows on TV, each of them getting laughs while causing recurrent apoplexy, agita and conniptions among the suits in Program Practices.

It never was easy, and in the exclusive excerpt below, Lear recounts the battle to get All In The Family out of his head and onto the air. From the outset he knew two things: that Archie Bunker would epater le bourgeoisie – and that if he yielded on even the smallest point, he stood to lose everything.

Within days of my being asked to sign the three-picture deal with United Artists, Bob Wood, newly ensconced in the offices at CBS Television City in Los Angeles, phoned me to say he’d just seen the “Archie pilot” and would I be interested in talking about it going on CBS? Although it would mean I couldn’t take the picture deal, I couldn’t resist meeting with him after two pilots and more than two years of thinking about it. Wood, an able and agreeable executive, backed up by his talented and driven programming VP, Fred Silverman, had predetermined that the kind of rural comedies that had sustained CBS — The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction—had seen their day, and he hoped to serve up something to change the CBS brand and mark his regime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 26, 2019 1:14 AM

I thought he died long ago.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2014 8:41 PM

There will be yelling!

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2014 2:43 AM

and close ups so tight you can see nostril hair!

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2014 2:45 AM

And Much Stating of the Obvious!

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2014 5:08 AM

He did great work. Today's idiotic sitcoms could learn from him.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2014 12:11 PM

How close was "All in the Family" to "Till Death Us Do Part"? Was it mainly just the premise or were scripts used?

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2014 12:14 PM

He's OLD. He's alive but is he still kicking?

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2014 7:55 PM

"stifled with"??

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2014 8:57 PM

I wonder if he covers the disaster that was "Sunday Dinner", based on his own experience of dumping his wife for a woman 30 years younger? On the show the Lear character was played by Robert Loggia and his new wife was Teri Hatcher as "T.T. Fagori", a chirpy environmentalist Christian who addressed God as "Chief?"

It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2014 9:22 PM

He stole every idea & plot from the Brits. He was never an original thinker.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2014 9:05 AM

[quote] based on his own experience of dumping his wife for a woman 30 years younger?

the wife was a closet case. It is ok to dump closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2014 9:23 AM

R11 speaking of does anyone remember Lear's magazine? It was sort of a cross between Mirabella and More.

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2014 11:17 AM

Here is My Soap Box!

I Will Stand on It!

I Will Stand on It and Proclaim!

Evil Is Bad!

My Captive Studio Audience will Cheer and Clap and go "Woo! Woo!

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2014 11:46 AM

He was not the genius everyone made him out to be. Most of his stuff was stolen from the British.

"All in the Family" was adapted from "Till Death Us Do Part"

"Sanford and Son" was adapted from "Steptoe and Son"

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2014 11:55 AM

But there is a great difference between shows even if one is adapted from another. Plus there is no guarantee of success just by taking one show and making it into another.

Norman Lear's genius also resided in casting: Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Bea Arthur, Esther Rolle, Redd Foxx, etc.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2014 12:04 PM

R13, you could apply all of those statements to the Thomasons and their overrated designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2014 12:05 PM

Does he bad-mouth any actors on series he created?

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2014 12:19 PM

Does he still wear that stupid hat?

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2014 10:43 PM

That the shows had inspiration from the British does not take away from Lear's genius. Archie, Meathead, and the rest are Lear's own.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2014 10:54 PM

R17 he had huge clashes with Carroll O'Connor and he elaborates on them in the excerpts that I skimmed.

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2014 11:03 PM

Thanks, OP. I ordered this from my library.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2014 12:50 AM

Comes out today. And I am seeing him at the Philly library on Friday night. Looking forward to it. A great champion of liberal causes.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2014 7:28 PM

r21, me, too. I am at the library now and just requested it!

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2014 7:44 PM

Carroll O Connor was a rumored perfectionist on the set, but he only wanted what was best for the show.

I wonder if he addresses the whole Eric Monte situation.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2014 7:46 PM

All this library bullshit isn't doing anything for anybody's royalties.

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2014 7:53 PM

[quote] All this library bullshit isn't doing anything for anybody's royalties.

It's the writer's job to write a book that you want to read so badly you buy it because you can't stand to be on a library waiting list.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2014 7:55 PM

In New York Norman will be interviewed by Leonard Lopate on WNYC (AM820-93.9FM) tomorrow, Wednesday, the 15th. The program airs from Noon-2:00PM. Streams at WNYC.org and later on podcast.

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2014 8:03 PM

[quote]It's the writer's job to write a book that you want to read so badly you buy it because you can't stand to be on a library waiting list.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2014 8:14 PM

I don't think Norman Lear is credited with writing anymore than maybe two episodes of All in the Family. I know he wrote the pilot(s) and maybe another episode or two. He certainly deserves all the credit in the world for assembling the cast and putting the show together, but he had a great writing staff and presumably others who were show-runners (although that term wasn't in use back then)

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2014 8:38 PM

R29 when did that term start being used? What did they say before, I don't even remember?

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2014 8:53 PM

Rumor has it that the woman in the audience shouting "Slap her Willona" was really Norman Lear trying to get a decent performance out of Ja'net Dubois

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2014 8:59 PM

he glorified abortion.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2014 10:24 PM

R32 - I don't think he glorified abortion at all. He had his characters engage in honest discussions about abortion.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2014 10:31 PM

Please tell me there are clips of Sunday Dinner online somewhere. Please. The descriptions around the web make it sound unbelievably hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2014 10:38 PM

There was no discussion, just speeches that could have been written by Gloria Steinem.

Norman at his soapbox worst.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2014 10:42 PM

R34 I couldn't find anything online from Sunday Dinner but did find a few minutes worth of another Norman Lear flop, "Apple Pie". It was a vehicle for Rue McClanahan after "Maude" and also starred Dabney Coleman

Only 2 episodes aired. This is a clip featuring the Borden Twins. Not sure how famous they were but they have uploaded some clips from quite a few shows they were on, including "Maude".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2014 11:06 PM

Rue said she HATED Dabney Coleman in her bio.

She also put down Valerie Bertinelli.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2014 11:08 PM

Which one is Elsie?

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2014 11:08 PM

Why did she put down Val? R37

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2014 11:09 PM

Gloria Steinem has a great sense of humor. She's down to earth. R35 acts like she's some kind of commie dictator.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2014 11:11 PM

Norman Lear is 92 and for years he has seemed smart and mentally undiminished. I hope I age similarly to Norman and his former employee Rob's father, Carl Reiner, who is also sharp and fun to read on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2014 11:20 PM

Gloria Steinem has the same sense of humor as Jane Fonda which means it doesn't register on any scale known to mankind. Just watch Jane Fonda's excruciating attempt at comedy in Nine to Five. It was so woeful and misbegotten, it made clowns cry.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2014 11:22 PM

Lear also stole Sanford & Son from the Brits, "Steptoe & Son"

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2014 11:31 PM

He stole "Meathead"'s character from Til Death Do Us Part too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2014 11:32 PM

Also stole Edith's look from TDDUP as well.

Frankly I think the Brit series is better & smarter.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2014 11:34 PM

Lots of poor, cheap queens on here getting shit from their libraries.

Spend some money, you fat whores!

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2014 11:39 PM

Stole! Stole! Stole!

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2014 11:41 PM

[quote] Lear also stole Sanford & Son from the Brits, "Steptoe & Son"

[quote] He stole "Meathead"'s character from Til Death Do Us Part too

Uh, he adapted the shows. Some simpletons seem to be struggling to understand what that means.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2014 11:44 PM

Oh shut up, R45. The British series is not better than AITF, the seminal comedy of the latter half of the 20th Century. You're obviously one of those pretentious asswipes who only watches foreign films and thinks French Jeanne Falconetti in Joan of Arc is better than American Bette Davis in All About Eve.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2014 11:48 PM

Having read the book and met him tonight after the unfulfilling conversation at the 92nd St Y with Whoopi as interviewer, (billed as 2 hrs, it was barely 1 - and the book signing consisted of an assistant stamping the book) the book IS really a great read. Sadly, only about 20% is on the big series, the rest on his life. It is still well written. Yes he does talk about about the flop of Sunday Dinner and his arguments with Carroll O'Connor and his disappointment with the creators of Good Times, and he's very open that he adapted many of the shows and didn't invent them. Probably about as true as any Hollywood autobiography gets.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2014 5:57 AM

Will the Reader's Digest be offering up excerpts of this fine book to its readers?

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2014 7:24 AM

I don't go to book signings typically but is having an assistant stamp a book kosher?

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2014 2:56 PM

[quote]I don't go to book signings typically but is having an assistant stamp a book kosher?

I never found anything in the Old Testament that said "Thou shalt not stamp a book because I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome."

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2014 3:12 PM

The audiobook version should be recorded on tape before a live audience.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2014 3:12 PM

The audiotape should be presented to an audience for a live response.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2014 3:01 PM

r48 - "adapted"? Stole the entire thing, including lines.

r49 - you've never seen the original BRITISH series.

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2014 8:02 PM

Maybe he stole every single line of Til Death us do part (Although I'm sure he didn't) but that series ran 54 episodes, whereas All in the Family ran 210 episodes.

Steptoe and Son ran 57 episodes, Sanford and Son has 135.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2014 9:02 PM

The British returned the favor and remade [italic]Maude[/italic] and [italic]Good Times[/italic] as [italic]Nobody's Perfect[/italic] and [italic]The Fosters[/italic], two unconnected series, respectively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2014 12:50 AM

[quote]never one to be stifled with

WTF does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2014 12:59 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 26, 2019 1:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!