Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Audrey Hepburn

I suspect that only women and gay men found her beautiful.

Straight men would prefer more bountiful women.

by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2019 1:14 AM

Bountiful like Melissa McCarthy?

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2014 7:49 PM

Not all women.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2014 7:51 PM

No...straight men found her beautiful as well...but I doubt 'Breakfast At Tiffany's" is on many straight guys' favourite movie list...or any of her films, actually.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2014 7:56 PM

[quote] Straight men would prefer more bountiful women.

Are you really that dense?

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2014 8:27 PM

Just like some gay men prefer teen looking twinks with no muscles and some gays adult looking guys with muscles straight men also have loads of different body types they like. You can't just say that straight men only like women with curves and big tits because it's not true. Some guys really do like thin women with small tits.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2014 8:39 PM

I suspect you're right. They preferred bounciful, bountiful actresses like Jayne Mansfield they actually want to fuck. Audrey Hepburn appeals to people who are not interested in fucking women.

That's why Audrey Hepburn was so miscast in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2014 8:46 PM

R6, Truman Capote wanted Marilyn for the movie, I believe.HE didn't want Aubrey to be in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2014 8:48 PM

You're fucking kidding me, right??

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2014 9:06 PM

Billy Wilder thought she was the most beautiful woman in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2014 9:08 PM

R2, you're correct. She was twee.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2014 9:21 PM

R7 yes I read that as well. It's quite obvious from the novella too that the role was for a Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2014 9:33 PM

I know some straight men who prefer twiggy women.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2014 9:41 PM

In the original novella, Holly Golightly is described as a curvy blonde.

Before the actual movie was made, one of Capote's friends (I think actually his agent) once on the spur of the moment played a prank on Capote by telling him that the studio that had bought the rights was indeed going to make a movie out of it, but they were retitling it "Follow that Blonde." And Capote believed it until his friend broke up laughing!

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2014 9:46 PM

"for all of her chic thinness, she had almost a breakfast-cereal air of health"

She was not voluptuous.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2014 10:00 PM

Hollywood discovered the skinny Dutch girl and brought her to the US where, asfter the tight rations of the war years, she went nuts in the restaurants and started getting chubby.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2014 10:03 PM

Straight men found her adorable, and funny at times. They liked her well enough.

But I don't know of any straight men who have gone all culty about her, not the way they have about Monroe. But then, they couldn't have "rescue" fantasies about Hepburn, who lived a fairly sane and normal life.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2014 11:05 PM

William Holden, who IMO was the most handsome man during his heyday, went bonkers for her.

Willowy was his type. Except for the cheap one night stand AKA Shelly Winters he had every Xmas eve.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2014 11:18 PM

Didn't William Holden have a LT thing with Stefanie Powers?

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2014 11:21 PM

Hepburn looks really different without her signature eyebrows, and if you see close-ups of her from movie sets you can see how much they were painted in.

She's sort of Anne Hathaway-ish - huge features, tiny face, although Hepburn had better bone structure and, I think, a prettier mouth and chin-line than Hathaway. She had an affair with Albert Finney when they did "Two for the Road". I thought her chemistry with Peter Finch in "A Nun's Story" was tremendous, although the director, Fred Zimmerman, says the Finch character's presence in the film made the church very cautious about advising the movie, for fear it would play sexual subtext.

I agree with Emma Thompson - in all of Hepburn's signature movies I think she's unbearably twee and whimsical, and her voice drives me crazy. I know it's her "real" voice, but it feels like the worst kind of affectation. BUT, she was really good in A Nun's Story, to my surprise. I believed her in it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2015 8:56 PM

It takes all kinds to make a world. She was lovely and I am sure many men were enchanted by her .

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2015 9:47 PM

What a wholly different film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" would have been with Marilyn. There probably would have been a "Well she's just a whore" attitude toward the character from the movie-going audience, and likely wouldn't have been a "Moon River" .

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2015 10:16 PM

R15, Hollywood "discovered" the skinny British-Dutch girl as she was starring on Broadway in "Gigi," after appearing in a number of British film and television productions. It's not like she was a completely novice discovery.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2015 10:35 PM

Jack Kennedy would stay up nights in the White House watching Roman Holiday. When he first met Jackie he excitedly told his buddies how much she resembled Audrey. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2015 10:47 PM

Albert Finney in 1967 was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2015 10:56 PM

She was pretty and charming, and straight men like charm as much as anyone else.

She was the kind of woman that doesn't drive straight men wild with lust, but they'd see her as wife/girlfriend material more than a one-night-stand. IMHO that's one reason her casting worked in "BaT", she played a hoor but you could always see her as more than a hoor. And that's why it's so different from the book, but the unrepentant slut of the book wouldn't have seemed sympathetic to 1960s audiences.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2015 11:23 PM

I'm a lesbian and I don't get her appeal. By all accounts she seemed a nice person and I don't hate her as an individual, but I find her performances terminally dull, uncharismatic, samey and the whimsy gets tiring. Give me a woman over a "lady" anytime. I've never enjoyed any movie she's been in and she's the main reason why.

The strange thing I've found over the years, is those that do love her, do so to an aggravating extreme. Every single fan of hers I've encountered, gay or straight, male or female will brook no argument about her being the most luminescent, beautiful star ever. This extends beyond their right to think so and they can get quite nasty to anyone with the temerity to disagree.

Just a strange quirk I've seen in her fans that I've not noticed so universally applied with any other stars' fans. They take loyalty to a long passed stranger to a frightening degree. Maybe I've just got unlucky and all you fans on here are normal and not unhinged, in which case my apologies. But that has been my strange experience. But it's definitely only served to put me off her more.

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2015 11:35 PM

She didn't take herself half so seriously as her fans - and her detractors. She also fucked enough men in her life so I guess a few men found her attractive. Emma Thompson's twee remark needs to be retired from DL lore. It's not half as clever as everyone thinks. Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Nun's Story, Two for the Road, Wait Until Dark, Robin and Marion - these films are just fine.

She wanted to be a dancer but the war took care of those dreams as well as her health. She wasn't self-involved, loved her kids, had man trouble - and did solid humanitarian work. Was she a saint? No. The most beautiful star ever? Of course not. But she had presence.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2015 11:43 PM

She was unique.

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2015 11:44 PM

She had a models figure a beautiful speaking voice she was ethereal and good . I am sure she made whoever who very happy between the sheets . It wasn't that she was a " lady" she came across as approachable not as an untouchable goddess .my love of her is not obsessive but she was one of a kind . She had real class and it this current climate it's oddity.

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2015 11:49 PM

I had her 3 ways to sunday.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2015 1:01 AM

R2 I have to admit I agree with you. She a bit before my time but then so were Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe and countless others.

For sheer beauty - Grace Kelly oozed radiance and charisma. Audrey Hepburn carved her own niche I suppose, same with Katharine Hepburn - the latter not a ravishing specimen but she definitely lit up the screen with her strong, defiant character roles.

I think a lot of the subjectively which are what comments are all about - just comes down to an individual's set of values and cultural influences.

Note: In the weeks leading up to his 'big society' wedding to Jackie, he was courting / romancing big time a blonde Swedish socialite and sending letters to set up rendezvous in her country. So I guess hubby-to-be Jack was pretty flexible in the skirt chasing department as he had a pretty broad palette of "types" from which to choose.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2015 2:21 AM

R31 here. Correction meant to type r26 in my first line. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2015 2:22 AM

JFK had em all: Gene Tierney, Grace Kelly,Marilyn,Angie Dickinson,Dietrich.. how did Audrey Hepburn escape Jack?

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2015 2:40 AM

She had a great body and a beautiful face but personality wise I found her utterly boring and almost ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2015 3:11 AM

Didn't realize you knew her. Tell us more about her "ordinary" personality.

by Anonymousreply 35November 30, 2015 3:22 AM

R28. Not to the hoarders of hipster women copying her short bangs and thinking they're unique as well.

Audrey = nice but dull. For a star, she managed to put out something that was utterly sexless. It doesn't matter if that was true of the real woman or not, that's what she resonates on screen. And that's what's falsely acclaimed as a classiness and why she'd be popular on the DL.

I like how Marilyn is thrown in as the comparison here. There were a helluva load of stars between the two. Give me some wit, fire, earthiness, spirit, confidence, sass, intelligence...over Audrey any day.

by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2015 3:48 AM

Two of the most beautiful Best Actress Winners wait backstage at the Oscars for their turn to present.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 30, 2015 4:10 AM

A lot of my straight male friends think she's beautiful. Interestingly they also like Grace Kelly too.

by Anonymousreply 38November 30, 2015 4:43 AM

I will add I personally thought she was a terrible actress. So, not really a fan.

by Anonymousreply 39November 30, 2015 4:48 AM

One person's "sexless" is another person's "sexy." Yeah, she had no curves but that doesn't make her sexless.

by Anonymousreply 40November 30, 2015 4:49 AM

Grace Kelly had curves. Hepburn was built like a 14-year-old boy: perfect for the Givenchy dresses et al., not so ideal for Playboy-type fantasies.

Hepburn also had eating disorders throughout her life and there's nothing sexy or glamorous about that, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 41November 30, 2015 4:53 AM

[R41] Grace Kelly didn't exactly have curves and she was a big slut.

by Anonymousreply 42November 30, 2015 5:01 AM

Grace Kelly radiated sex. Audrey was the feyest of fey and the twee'est of twee. She would maybe hold your dick if she was wearing gloves.

by Anonymousreply 43November 30, 2015 5:53 AM

Gracie was always billed as "the ice princess" It was Grace the Good and Marilyn the Bad as far as Phoneywood PR was concerned. Grace had her share on men but because of her family wealth never had to suck dick for parts a la Norma Jean. Audrey Hepburn on the other hand was "discovered" by that old pussy licker Colette. Now that's an interesting story.

by Anonymousreply 44November 30, 2015 6:00 AM

Audrey never had short hipster girl bangs. That was Leslie Caron.

by Anonymousreply 45November 30, 2015 12:46 PM

[quote]Truman Capote wanted Marilyn for the movie, I believe.HE didn't want Aubrey to be in the movie.

Did Capote ever comment on Mickey Rooney's contribution to the movie?

by Anonymousreply 46November 30, 2015 1:38 PM

[quote]I like how Marilyn is thrown in as the comparison here. There were a helluva load of stars between the two.

R36 I think people are comparing the two, because Marilyn (Capote's first choice) lost the part of Holly Golightly to Audrey. It was the only time the two were up for the same part. And, of course, they're very different. Hence the comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2017 4:52 PM

R33 Jayne Mansfield also claimed to have bedded JFK.

by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2017 4:52 PM

Are you aware that Audrey has a couple of nose thinning rhinoplasties?

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2017 4:56 PM

[quote]Emma Thompson's twee remark needs to be retired from DL lore. It's not half as clever as everyone thinks.

I thought they were funny as hell! I remember when she first made the statement back in summer 2010. The Daily Mail commenters went apeshit. Good times.

[quote]"I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee. Twee is whimsy without wit. It's mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid. I'm sure she was a delightful woman – and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it, really."

by Anonymousreply 50March 16, 2017 4:56 PM

R21 why wouldn't there have been "Moon River" if Marilyn had been cast? She had a good voice. In fact, better than Audrey's. Unlike Audrey, she was never fully dubbed in any of her films, except for the opening, high No's at the beginning of "Diamond's Are a Girl's Best Friend," which were done by Marni Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 51March 16, 2017 4:58 PM

[quote]Emma Thompson's twee remark needs to be retired from DL lore. It's not half as clever as everyone thinks.

You in danger, gurl - DL gets very upset if you knock Emma.

by Anonymousreply 52March 16, 2017 5:00 PM

[quote]Did Capote ever comment on Mickey Rooney's contribution to the movie?

I don't know why everyone gets so upset about that - maybe just in America where even the word 'Oriental' makes people spin - unless you happen to be Oriental.

by Anonymousreply 53March 16, 2017 5:02 PM

R7 it's too bad that Marilyn missed out on two Oscar-nominated roles -- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S and Tennessee Williams' BABY DOLL. In both cases, the authors desperately wanted her but were vetoed by the studios. I hope she at least found comfort that two revered writers would have preferred her.

by Anonymousreply 54March 16, 2017 5:02 PM

R53 you really can't figure out why it would be upsetting to someone, especially to an American of Japanese descent?

by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2017 5:05 PM

My grandmother always remarked that Hepburn looked like a "plucked chicken" in her films. Now that's all I can see.

by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2017 5:10 PM

R23, the only thing Jackie had in common with Audrey was they both had very large feet. Neither were conventionally beautiful, but Audrey was more pleasing to the eye than Jackie. She didn't have that too large head and FAS eyes. And Jackie had a coarse streak as wide as the Mississippi running down her back. Especially when it came to money. Audrey was a very gracious woman who had a successful film career and devoted the latter part of her life to helping the poor. Jackie was an ambitious, greedy courtesan in the tradition of Wallis Simpson and Pamela Churchill Averell Harriman.

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2017 5:20 PM

R56 heh, when I was 13, my siblings and I were over at my grandparent's house (c. 1993), and for movie night, we rented SCHOOL TIES, which had just come out on video. Anyway, my grandmother remarked that Brendan Fraser looked like 'a young Rodney Dangerfield," and I've never been able to shake off that image. haha

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2017 5:24 PM

Audrey is a patrician beauty. It's the whole package. Style, beauty, class. Grace is more of an icy beauty, "man killer." The type that men want bc she's somewhat unattainable. Marilyn is the obvious beauty but in a cheap dime store way. The other two say Vogue and Bazaar and Marilyn says playboy or penthouse. I'll take Audrey and Grace over Marilyn any day.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2017 5:33 PM

She was 60 in this picture. She looks much older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2017 5:35 PM

R60 didn't Audrey smoke? That may be (partly) why.

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2017 5:37 PM

I think Hepburn's eating disorders came from lack of food in Holland during the Nazi occupation. For a while she was left eating with turnips and grass...at least that's what I've read. She had the grace and carriage of a dancer...which was her first love, or her first whack at the performing arts. I think it's mixing apples with oranges to include her along with Monroe or Grace Kelley. She had a sense of style and grace that doesn't exist today. I think Cary Grant was also taken with her during their filming of Charades..."all I want for Christmas is Audrey Hepburn"...

Monroe was tragic and Grace Kelley was an emancipated, independent blonde who slept with whomever she pleased, always thought her beauty was over rated. Her greatest role was Princess Grace...

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2017 5:40 PM

Straight men weren't into Audrey Hepburn. Except of course all those straight men who married and/or dated her: Mel Ferrer, Andrea Dotti, Michael Butler, William Holden Albert Finney, Lord Hanson, Ben Gazzara, Robert Wolders, etc.

Then again, it's DataLounge: I'm sure someone will come along to insist all those men were really gay.

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2017 6:00 PM

No, straight men don't just like big-titty blonde bimbos. In fact there are a fair number who like waifs. I've known some men who specifically like really skinny girls because they like the feeling of physically overpowering them.

by Anonymousreply 64March 16, 2017 6:01 PM

No. My mom's bf thinks she's great. There's a subgroup of straight guys that like the look. Same guys that like Hermoine/Emma Watson. It's a Ginger / Maryanne thing, probably a bit of a whore/wife complex too despite holly golightly.

by Anonymousreply 65March 16, 2017 6:05 PM

[quote]No, straight men don't just like big-titty blonde bimbos. In fact there are a fair number who like waifs.

True.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2017 6:17 PM

The early to mid-1960s fit Audrey very well in a way they didn't fit Marilyn (if she lived). Marilyn would never have been able to bring Breakfast at Tiffany's off - or any of the later 60s looks Audrey had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2017 6:28 PM

r67 Marilyn in her mid-twenties, before the booze and dope got the best of her, would have been great in "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

by Anonymousreply 68March 16, 2017 6:32 PM

I found her unfathomably boring.

by Anonymousreply 69March 16, 2017 6:34 PM

[quote]Marilyn would never have been able to bring Breakfast at Tiffany's off - or any of the later 60s looks Audrey had.

How do you know?

& Audrey looked ridiculous in all that mod gear. Most actresses even younger than her, didn't do all that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 16, 2017 6:35 PM

Audrey was terribly miscast in BAT -- she was supposed to be a girl from Podunk, not a Belgian sophisticate. Marilyn WAS a girl from Podunk.

by Anonymousreply 71March 16, 2017 7:09 PM

[quote]Audrey was terribly miscast in BAT -- she was supposed to be a girl from Podunk, not a Belgian sophisticate. Marilyn WAS a girl from Podunk.

They weren't going for reality.

They were going for 'pretty' and glossy.

by Anonymousreply 72March 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Ah yes, pretty and glossy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 16, 2017 7:11 PM

Audrey Hepburn could never play anything but Audrey Hepburn. For instance, in SABRINA she;s supposed to be a Long Island girl yet she sounds like she's from anotha lahnd!

by Anonymousreply 74March 16, 2017 7:43 PM

Her sons are awful. Always trying to squeeze all the money they can out of her legacy- that awful chocolate commercial - and they've apparently just decided to stop fighting over her stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 16, 2017 7:49 PM

Haven't had time to read the he whole thread, but I've always found her to be lovely. She does not fit the archetype of the classic Hollywood sex symbol of days gone by (Marilyn Monroe), but she did serve her purpose in something that I think is far more important. She gave American women an idea of what it was to look, and dress like a lady.

Even though Holly Golightly may have been best cast with MM, Audrey created an iconic figure of the single girl in NYC.

She is unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 76March 16, 2017 8:33 PM

Well, as in real life, there was more than one archetype of beauty. Even when bosomy blondes were in, the slender gamine or ingénue was never completely out, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 77March 16, 2017 9:53 PM

In THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, Jeffrey Eugenides writes that Audrey Hepburn is someone whom "all women idolise and men never think about."

by Anonymousreply 78March 16, 2017 10:04 PM

Audrey never played a vamp...it might have changed men's attitudes towards her

by Anonymousreply 79March 17, 2017 1:01 AM

Breakfast at Tiffany's was one of those times when what at first seemed like a miscasting actually made the movie work. Hepburn made Holly work because she was sophisticated and so you didn't feel quite as bad for her--it all seemed like a game. With Monroe in the role, Holly would have seemed more desperate, more pathetic. Plus the reveal when you find out she's LulaMae would have been much different.

As far as straight men finding Hepburn beautiful... there are plenty who do. The same way there were guys who would rather have the two Charlie's Angels who weren't Farrah, there were guys who'd rather have Hepburn than Monroe. Or as someone upthread noted, there are guys who like twinks and guys who like bears.

by Anonymousreply 80March 17, 2017 1:16 AM

Women like Audrey because she was a real-life poor little rich girl. Gays like her because she seemed both glamorous and nice---and at the same time helpless, like she needed protection.

Straight guys don't care about her one way or the other---she looked like she would be a dead fish.

by Anonymousreply 81March 17, 2017 1:37 AM

R80 we are not talking about angels -- Charlie's or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 82March 17, 2017 1:37 AM

We're talking about the women that straight men like R82

And while many go for big tits and flash, not all of them do. The CA trio seemed to embody all three in a way that DLs 50-70 year old demo could best appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 83March 17, 2017 1:39 AM

Audrey was cast along much older men in most of her films. In Sabrina, Holden goes after her but she ends up with much older Bogart. She rarely starred alongside male actors of her generation which made her appear less sexy or sexual. I like her but it's one of those things that I really dislike about her films. She and Fred Astaire even laughed about this when they made Funny Face. So many missed opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 84March 17, 2017 2:07 AM

Different straight guys like different things. She was pretty despite her lack of curves too.

by Anonymousreply 85March 17, 2017 2:15 AM

R84 Marilyn and Grace Kelly were also paired with much older men, and it didn't make them less sexy or sexual.

by Anonymousreply 86March 17, 2017 2:29 AM

Marilyn and Grace careers weren't identical to Audrey's.

Many of Marilyn's men of the same age were often supporting, like in Gentlemen Prefer Blonds and The 7 Year Itch. She was the star and the men were second fiddle. But Marilyn got to play with Robert Mitchum, Tony Curtis, John Lemmon, Yves Montand. As for Grace, her career was short lived. It lasted 6 years. Audrey's career lasted much longer. By the 1960s she seemed old even though she wasn't. Starring with Humphrey Bogart, Fred Astaire, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant (in the 1960s), Rex Harrison, etc, took its toll. Her contemporaries were Anthony Perkins in Green Mansions, Mel Ferrer in War & Peace and George Peppard in BAT. Hardly hot stuff. Even Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday was old for her. He was pushing 40 and she was 22 years old. Had she starred with Paul Newman or Marlon Brando, things would have been different.

by Anonymousreply 87March 17, 2017 3:04 AM

Audrey was quite tall, almost 5'8", which isn't evident in most of her films. My straight male friends seem to prefer small busty, insipid women. Audrey was none of those things.

by Anonymousreply 88March 17, 2017 3:36 AM

Nah, straight guys like taller women, as long as they're an inch shorter than them. They just have a hard time finding them.

In my experience, the only guys who are into short girls are socially awkward losers with little control over aspects of their life. They often date Asians.

by Anonymousreply 89March 17, 2017 4:08 AM

Straight guys LOVE tall women, you guys are nuts. Or you hang with rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2017 1:47 PM

Straight guys also like petite women. I know a few.

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2017 2:08 PM

We're not talking about petite women, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2017 2:44 PM

Her eyebrows were weird.

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2017 7:21 PM

My benchmark on people i meet: if they liked Breakfast at Tiffany's (the movie) they're dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2017 7:41 PM

R94 Why? 'Cause of the Mickey Rooney scenes?

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2017 7:49 PM

Audrey Hepburn was beautiful. A different kind of beauty, a lot of charm and incredible eyes involved. But she was beautiful. The camera loved her.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2017 8:08 PM

because that movie is horribly twee, r95. The rooney scenes are awful too, of course.

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2017 8:18 PM

[quote]My benchmark on people i meet: if they liked Breakfast at Tiffany's (the movie) they're dead to me.

I wouldn't like you either, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2017 9:02 PM

One thing for sure, if Marilyn had played Holly Golightly, her iconic "little black dress" would've fetched much more at auction. About ten years ago, it sold at auction for $923,187. On the other hand, Marilyn's "white dress" from THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH fetched $4.6 million 6 years ago. A record at the time. Last year, the "Happy Birthday dress" sold for $4.8 million -- a new record.

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2017 6:57 PM

That said, my favorite Audrey film is ROMAN HOLIDAY. It may be a cliche to say that, but I find it very enjoyable. For one, I love movies that take place over 24 hours or just overnight (e.g. DAZED & CONFUSED, BEFORE SUNRISE). Secondly, Gregory Peck is just too virile and sexy. And thirdly, Audrey is really delightful. Since it's one of her first films (and first American movie) she doesn't see all that affected to me yet.

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2017 7:01 PM

love aud. she worked for UNICEF for years.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2017 7:33 PM

Jeffrey Eugenides doesn't speak for all straight guys. He also prefers Asians

by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2017 10:00 AM

Straight guys also don't care about height on average. Straight women and gay men care about height.

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2017 10:01 AM

My dad loved her. He thought she was elegant and exotic. My mom is the same type, slim and birdlike, also as a result of childhood deprivation, though in her case it was growing up poor in inner city Dublin in the 1930s, not war rationing, though that affected them too.

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2017 2:53 PM

[quote]Straight men would prefer more bountiful women.

Straight men are no more homogeneous than gay men. Plenty of straight men prefer a pretty face over anything, and many of them actively seek out slight women as sexual partners.

by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2017 4:15 PM

She is totally ridiculous as Bogart's lover in Sabrina. It is very unrealistic and ruins the film. She looks like his granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 106April 18, 2019 5:50 AM

I don't find her beautiful. So sue me. There are two types of beautiful women, the ones that straight men would fuck in a heartbeat ie the obvious ones, and the ones that look odd or quirky that fashion designers and women think look beautiful. Hepburn falls into the latter. She also had ugly feet.

by Anonymousreply 107April 18, 2019 7:03 AM

I'm a lesbian, and I loved Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 108April 18, 2019 7:24 AM

Well R21 MM DID sing "River of No Return" in the eponymous movie...

by Anonymousreply 109April 18, 2019 7:30 AM

R68 in "Clash by Night," opposite hunky Keith Andes, she's delightfully fresh and feisty. In Showgirl she's luscious, with courtesan undertones.

by Anonymousreply 110April 18, 2019 7:45 AM

R110 What?! Olivier doesn't get a mention nor a "hunky" descriptor?

by Anonymousreply 111April 20, 2019 1:35 AM

[R33] JFK did date Audrey when he was just starting in politics---he didn't miss much. Mary Gallagher, JFK's long time secretary, wrote about Hepburn showing up at his office when he was a Senator, very glamorous, carrying a certain type of umbrella--which is an odd detail. I guess he was never going to marry her/get serious as she was an actress, and had been around a bit---and he needed a certain type of wife for his career.

(Of course, Jackie was no blushing virgin and was a money-grubbing deb courtesan who knew exactly how to reel him in with that faux "aristocratic" French background of hers).

by Anonymousreply 112April 20, 2019 2:05 AM

R111, well, whatever makes stiff your skiff...

by Anonymousreply 113April 20, 2019 2:08 AM

Y’all are crazy. Audrey was a babe. Most women don’t have an hourglass figure anyway, who are you kidding?

And look who Bogie ended up with. Another young, tall, skinny, model type. So they weren’t that far off, age difference aside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 20, 2019 2:20 AM

Old thread I know, but recently active so I thought I'd post this.

This is not just "naturally" thin. Her ribs are sticking out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 20, 2019 4:16 AM

She was too thin and pixie like to be beautiful. I guess it was such a different look in the early 1950s that she stood out. By the 60s though she looked scrawny and ill. Those mod hairstyles didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 116May 20, 2019 4:28 AM

R26, are you single?

by Anonymousreply 117May 20, 2019 1:34 PM

Thin looks terrible on older people. That's why Audrey pulled it off in her twenties.

by Anonymousreply 118May 23, 2019 2:34 PM

[quote]Straight men would prefer more bountiful women.

Straight men want to marry an Audrey (So classy! So ladylike! So charming!) and cheat on her with someone hot, voluptuous and slutty with titties they can gnaw on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 23, 2019 10:14 PM

Audrey Hepburn - Sorry, not a smashing beauty past Age 30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 30, 2019 12:31 AM

I totally agree with Emma Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 121May 30, 2019 12:43 AM

R99-I interviewed a gallery owner who knows the photographer who took the iconic birthday dress - the one of Marilyn from behind. It's one of the only photos that survived that infamous performance, because the Secret Service went around and confiscated as much film as they could from the photographers. Even with the footage, JFK did not want those images out.

by Anonymousreply 122May 30, 2019 12:59 AM

R122 amfAR founder Mathilde Krim, who hosted the after party, gave an interview to 20/20 and pretty much said the same thing. That the Secret Service confiscated all the cameras and took the photographs, but she said that they specifically took the ones with MM, JFK, and RFK together. Only one survived (below) because that photographer had the presence of mind to take out the film before the SS got to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 30, 2019 1:08 AM

Straight men all wanted to fuck AND marry me when I played a whore once.

by Anonymousreply 124May 30, 2019 1:19 AM

R122-yeah-I think they took whatever film they could because they didn't know what would be on the rolls. That dress is still outrageously sexy well over half a century later.

by Anonymousreply 125May 30, 2019 1:26 AM

Audrey was charming and had the manners you would associate with a sophisticated aristocrat. She was not sexy. Thank God she didn't try to be.

It's interesting that actresses (and people in general) who came from the upper class get away with behavior that would be condemned in actresses from humble backgrounds. Audrey had at least 2 affairs with married men. Grace Kelly slept with many of her married co-stars. Still classy, according to public perception. The rich get a pass. The privileged surface matters more than the actual behavior.

Yeah, Marilyn was no angel and hooked up with married men like Elia Kazan, Yves Montand, and JFK. Yet, she gets branded as the whore of Hollywood while they whitewash the behavior of Audrey and Grace (who was a contender for the biggest slut). Marilyn was hardly the worst. She gets singled out because this hypocritical double standard has much to do with her poor background.

Although Audrey had a deprived childhood during the WWII, she had aristocratic ties. Her mother was a baroness. No surprise that she had elegant manners, but she was just as flawed in her personal life as many other stars. The social elite were/are usually given the benefit of the doubt. It smacks of classism. It also ties into the reality that starlets who didn't come from wealth were forced to use the casting couch if they wanted a career. Actresses were unmolested if they had upper class connections (Audrey, Grace, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Tierney). After all, studio executives didn't want to upset the powerful relatives.

by Anonymousreply 126May 30, 2019 2:33 AM

Studio execs got pussy whenever they could. Fuck the relatives (so to speak).

by Anonymousreply 127May 30, 2019 2:42 AM

From what I gather, straight guys want to fuck pretty much all of them. She wouldn't be their first choice, but most would probably think she was cute at least.

by Anonymousreply 128May 30, 2019 2:50 AM

Men are such pigs!

by Anonymousreply 129May 30, 2019 2:52 AM

R127, perhaps now but back in the studio days wealthy actresses were left alone. Gene Tierney said as much.

[italic]"The sexual abuse she had endured as a child had programmed her to please men. And she didn't have an assertive mother to protect her, or an upper-class background or Broadway acting experience to impress studio executives. According to Fox star actress Gene Tierney, these three attributes, which she herself possessed, kept her off the "casting couch."[/italic]

—from "Marilyn: The Passion and the Paradox

by Anonymousreply 130May 30, 2019 3:00 AM

Archetypal subsets straight guys are into: artst classy cool petite brunettes like Audrey; slutty hot af like Marilyn; 5'10" tall & fit & confident like an 80s/90s supermodel; 5'2" with huge boobs (it's a thing); girl next door classic 5'5" cheerleader pretty; Jewish; Asian; pretty Black.

by Anonymousreply 131May 30, 2019 3:34 AM

Correction: Audrey had 3 known extramarital affairs.

1. William Holden 2. Albert Finney 3. Ben Gazzara

by Anonymousreply 132May 30, 2019 4:22 AM

"artst classy cool petite brunettes like Audrey"

Audrey was not really petite at 5 foot 8. She was, however, a "tall short person" in that she had very short legs and a very long waist. In other words, the opposite of the leggy petite girls that most straight men prefer. Lesbians, however, love her.

by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2019 8:35 PM

Why do straight men have a thing for women's legs? I may be watching a YouTube clip of an actress on some talk show and inevitably several guys comment about their legs.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2019 8:37 PM

Because good looking, proportionally long legs are aesthetically pleasing on anyone, even men.

by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2019 1:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!