Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Game Of Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin Addresses Lack Of Gay Sex Scenes

While the popular "Game of Thrones" television series has included gay sex scenes, the books are a different story -- and fans want to know why.

The question came up at the Edinburgh International Book festival this past Monday, when 'GOT' author George R.R. Martin was questioned about why the "A Song Of Fire And Ice" series only hints at the idea of gay sex. The difference, according to Martin, derives from the perspective from which the books are written. In other words, he faces "limitations" since the books are written from the perspective of straight, central characters, unlike the television show.

He told the audience:

You’re seeing me from your viewpoint, you’re not seeing what someone over here is seeing. Will that change? It might. I’ve had letters from fans who want me to present particularly an explicit male sex scene... I’m not going to do it just for the sake of doing it. If the plot lends itself to that, if one of my viewpoint characters is in a situation, then I’m not going to shy away from it, but you can’t just insert things because everyone wants to see them. It is not a democracy. Earlier this year, prominent "Game of Thrones" actor Kristian Nairn came out of the closet as gay, saying that he had been "waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2019 1:33 PM

It is a bit silly he is being attacked for this, he includes gay characters in his writing when VERY few fantasy writers ever acknowledged gay peoples existence.

It is definitely true that he keeps it more subtle and avoided writing their sex scenes however, but for an almost 70 year old straight guy I give him props.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2014 2:39 AM

He's right. It won't be enough for straight chicks on Tumblr though.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2014 2:46 AM

While I wish male-male couples got the same treatment as others, he makes sense here. And I appreciate and respect his position.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2014 2:48 AM

He's on point. When writers start adjusting their story to appease fans, that's never a good thing.

And what is it with straight women demanding gay sex in everything? It's a weird phenomenon I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2014 2:49 AM

Sorry, for some reason this article edited out his comment that this request comes mainly from women.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2014 2:51 AM

R1, and how is he being attacked? I understood it was a conversation at a book festival.

It is a good question why there's less gay content in the show than what is in the books, and Martin answered that. Overall gay representation on tv shows is very small and this is not just about GoT but overall about the industry's refusal to show more gay stuff. I don't care that much about GoT but I know it has had at least some gay content so I doubt anyone's blaming Martin or the show makers that much. Nothing bad about conversation.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2014 4:06 AM

Maybe he could take some time away from writing about grown men lusting after young teen girls, and give us some variety!

Really, enough with the 12-14-year-old girls. I don't know if he does that because he wants to shock us with the reality of how brutal sex was during the middle ages, or if he just likes girls of that age. Either way, a change would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2014 5:08 AM

What characters are gay in GoT?

I just started reading the first book and have NOT seen the show.

Damn to hell all these ridiculous women and their need for male gay couples to be seen everywhere. They make us all look bad by insisting that so-and-so get together on this show and that show. They should not have access to writers and producers of tv shows.

I'm all for gay couples on tv, don't get me wrong but like the author said, it has to actually be part of the story and should flow naturally.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2014 5:27 AM

"What characters are gay in GoT?"

Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell are the main ones. Their relationship was only hinted at in the books, but is shown openly in the TV series. Oberyn Martell is bisexual.

Oddly, there's not a ghost of a hint of gay characters in the Night's Watch, and in a society where arranged marriages are that common, you'd think that a few gay men would take the black rather than marry a woman.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2014 5:43 AM

why on earth would be obligated to write a gay sex scene? he's not gay, and probably wouldn't do a very good job of it. his het sex scenes are very male-hetero-violent shit, so really, would we even want him to try his hand at the gay?

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2014 6:07 AM

Thanks, R9, I haven't gotten to those characters yet. I'll keep an eye out.

I'm only at the part where the poor little boy fell. It's horrible. I haven't read past that. It's heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2014 6:29 AM

R11, I have a feeling these books are not for you if you feel so strongly about that already.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2014 1:37 PM

[quote]It is a good question why there's less gay content in the show than what is in the books, and Martin answered that

You mean the other way around I assume? The show has had way more gay male content than what is written in the books, and his explanation for why that is was correct.

And in addition to what R9 said there is actually a main point of view gay character who appeared in the most recent novel. I do agree the complete absence of any hint of same-sex activity at the Wall is odd however.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2014 2:02 PM

This is so fucking stupid. I'm gay, but the writer and creator is an old straight guy. So the fuck what if he doesn't want to write about gratuitous gay sex?

I'm fine with that. Enough with the bizarre queer Orwellian nonsense. We don't have to beat people up for not pandering to the oversexed gay population of television viewers.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2014 2:49 PM

R13, oh damn you're absolutely right. I'm currently on pain meds because of my runner's knees and in my slight haze I managed to misunderstand the article and thought books had more gay sex in them than the show. I've listened to the first two books as audiobooks years ago and quite frankly I don't remember them even having gay content but there was so much stuff in them that I thought I just had forgotten it all.

I still don't think anyone was attacking Martin because that would be foolish. It's his IP and if he doesn't want to write gay stuff it's his choice. Fans always "demand" things but I seriously doubt any sane person would attack Martin for not putting gay sex in his books. I completely understand someone asking about the discrepancy at the book convention, though.

I also read yesterday of Martin being editor on anthologies where Diana Gabaldon had his gay Lord John novellas. So I assumed Martin is somehow involved in gay stories deeper than what in reality he is. And that's just a statement, not an accusation.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2014 2:58 PM

It's ridiculous when "fans" start telling writers how to plot their writing.

That said, I do wonder about all those crows on the wall. Those brothers must have cozied up to each other now and then.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2014 8:32 PM

"The sixth season of HBO's "Game of Thrones" TV show will show storylines and characters that haven't even happened in books yet — that's because author George RR Martin failed to meet the deadline for the series next installment."

Bummer. I'll have to re-read the first few books again because I've already starting to forget some of the plot points. Grrr!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 3, 2016 5:10 AM

Perhaps they should put Game Of Thrones on hiatus until Martin catches up with his writing.

by Anonymousreply 18January 3, 2016 5:15 AM

I respect his response. I couldn't wright good str8 scenes myself since it's just not my perspective.

by Anonymousreply 19January 3, 2016 5:59 AM

Oh please George--like all those gratuitous lesbian sex scenes in the books were soooo necessary for the plot. Funny how Dany and Cersei, the two hottest female characters in the story, just *happen* to be very fluid with their sexuality and love a little vajayjay action once in awhile. Who would have thought? Mr. principled writer had no "limitations" (as a straight man) when it came to inserting those hot girl-on-girl scenes and describing it in great, excessive detail--because , again, it lent itself so well to the plot. But a central POV male character (like Jon Snow, Theon Greyjoy, or Jamie Lannister) wanting a little poke now and then? Oh no, they're totally straight. Making them sexually fluid would just be for the sake of it. This isn't a democracy. Get the fuck outta here! Just fucking say you only like to write sex scenes that get you off and appeal in some way to your perverted heterosexual fantasies where you don't like seeing pee pees. All this hypocritical nonsense about writing purely for the sake of the story/plot is bull. I don't care if George only wants to write about pussy--just have the fucking balls to say it outright.

by Anonymousreply 20January 3, 2016 8:45 AM

I wish someone had asked him why the Night's Watch isn't full of gay men and gay sex. Because gay men in Westeros are typically forced into arranged marriages with women, and obviously some of them would rather freeze their asses off at the end of the Earth than do that. And in a woman-less environment, there will always be some straight guys who are willing to give it a go out of desperation.

Same for the Kingsguard, you'd think every noble gay sexboy who wanted to avoid an arranged marriage would be begging to be like Loras, and avoid marriage the more glamorous way.

by Anonymousreply 21January 3, 2016 9:16 AM

Re 20 did you read the actual books. Cersei 's same sex encounter was no token lesion scene. She bemoans because she felt nothing. She is unable to make an emotional connection with anyone including jamie. She is the embodiment of a narcissit. She plays along long enough to pleasure Taena Merryweather because she knows Tena is attracted to her. It is a tool to ensure her alligence.

Dany's scenes are not token either. She first learns from her hanmaudens, and then following the death of her sun and stars she accepts the pleasuring by one of her handmaidens. She loves them, but does not love them. It was an act of kindness to help a stressed and grieving woman. Dany herself rejected a second night advance.

Neither story involved an actual pair of lesbian lovers and both scenes sought to enrich our understanding of who these women were and were not. So stop your bitching.

To me it is asinine to complain about an author not writing about an experience he does not himself know. If he just threw that in for the hell of it, it would not be genuine. I don't mind the subtle hints in the book. We can use our own mind for realitu. He has no personal experience to derive those scenes true. The writers on the show however did, hence the addition.

by Anonymousreply 22January 3, 2016 12:52 PM

I'm an old fat nerd with writers block and I like bumping pussies. Deal with it

by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2016 1:49 PM

[quote]I couldn't wright good str8 scenes myself since it's just not my perspective.

And your spelling needs a lot of improvement.

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2016 10:09 PM

Goes GRRM have a cousin he wanted to fuck?

His incest obsession has gone too far.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2019 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!