Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Music Man (1962)- with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones

I loved this movie as a kid. Not so much as an adult. But it is my favorite musical. I love the songs and the story. Yes I know it is not Sondheim. But the simple Americana I love it. As for Robert Preston- he is so excellent. As is Jones. This is the only movie I like her in.

by Anonymousreply 118March 26, 2020 2:32 PM

First saw it in grade school on some special movie in aud day. I remember loving it.

Lida Rose I'm home again Rose. . .

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2014 8:34 PM

Preston is a great performer, but why are the costumes in shades of orange and grey?

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2014 8:46 PM

In TECHNIRAMA! 70mm in larger markets when it first came out.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2014 8:54 PM

I'm watching it, too - thanks for starting thread, OP! - and I love it, even more than when I was young. Those barbershop quartet singers are superb! The score is wonderful; the energy, joy, of the whole production is great, and wasn't Little Ronnie Howard, cute!

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2014 9:05 PM

This is my favorite musical as well. Robert Preston was perfect for the role. Buddy Hackett was good too. And who would ever guess that little Ronnie Howard would become a director.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2014 9:07 PM

"Lida Rose/Will I Ever Tell" is one of my favorite songs from a musical. Shirley sounds great in this.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2014 9:08 PM

I recently discovered that "76 Trombones" and "Goodnight My Someone" are the same tune but at different tempos.

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2014 9:13 PM

I'm Ethel Tofflemeir, the pianol girl.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2014 9:45 PM

I've always loved the stage show, and adored Robert Preston, yet I don't much like the 1962 film version. There's a very artificial look and feel to it, the performances are too big for the camera... I can't quite put my finger on the problem, but it's not a great film.

And Shirley Jones was miscast. Marian the Librarian shouldn't be a beautiful woman in her twenties.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2014 9:45 PM

R7, isn't that cool...I had an excellent music teacher, espec since in a small town, who told us that many years ago. Also neat to notice the counterpoint of "Dream of Night..." against "Lida Rose."(if counterpoint is the right term.)

OMG! I'd forgotten what a great number "Shipoopi" is! Buddy F---ing Hackett! To think people probably know him best from stand-up and "Match Game", dear God...GREAT character actors and actresses in "Music Man"!

Elaine Joyce, uncredited, in the dancing chorus!

I'm sitting here, watching; kvelling!

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2014 9:46 PM

Yes she SHOULD be a woman in her twenties. Remember, little Winthrop is her brother.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2014 9:53 PM

I grew up near Mason City Iowa, the birthplace of Meredith Wilson. They had a Meridith Wilson Day in his honor every year and all the marching bands in the area marched in his honor.

My aunt and uncle in Des Moines lived several blocks from Meridith's brother and they knew the family.

It has always been one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2014 10:13 PM

So your family knew him but couldn't spell his surname?

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2014 10:30 PM

any movie with the divine Mary Wickes is okay by me!

and for you movie trivia girls, the second Mrs. Wilson on Dennis the Menace (Sara Seger) is also in it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2014 10:34 PM

I prefer any musical that is NOT Sondheim

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2014 10:36 PM

I loved this movie as a kid too OP. I wrote a letter to the local network affiliate as a ten year old boy that was incensed - absolute beside myself that Shirley Jones was playing a a tole on the Partridge family and she was not signing - I further complained that this was loosely based on the Cowsils, which I loved - and tthe characters they had just simply did not sign well enough - frankly this musical farce was insulting - my mother then knew I was gay so she says - anyway, I love Robert Preston and Shirley Jones and listen to them frequently in the car.....I know I'm just an old dizzy queen to you here.....

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2014 12:40 AM

Until the Internet, I always thought Meredith Wilson was a woman (as Meredith is a female's name generally).

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2014 12:44 AM

I can't believe they didn't take you seriously and add ASL to The Partridge Family, R16.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2014 12:45 AM

R9 = Matthew Broderick

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2014 12:45 AM

R15 = pretentious twat. Smell her.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2014 12:48 AM

[quote][R15] = pretentious twat. Smell her.

At least "she" smells better than the insufferable Sondheim worshipers who shut down all negative discussions about his abilities as a composer. You know you're not making it any easier for him to make fans, guys!

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2014 12:51 AM

Great hog!

PianolA - she's the pianola girl.

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2014 1:02 AM

[quote]I recently discovered that "76 Trombones" and "Goodnight My Someone" are the same tune but at different tempos.

One summer vacation from college, I was in Music Man in a dinner theater. We were halfway through the summer when I suddenly realized those two songs were alike. Duh! For awhile, I thought: "It's so obvious, how could you not notice!" But "76 Trombones" is so exciting that you get caught up in it, while "Goodnight My Someone" is so restful and beautiful that you're not thinking of other songs at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2014 1:06 AM

Great hog! is Great honk! (no?)

And doesnt the movie change Jeely Kly to something else because it is too close to Jesus Christ?

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2014 1:12 AM

It's "Great Honk!" R22. "Great Honk!"

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2014 1:13 AM

Barbara Cook should have been Marian, reprising her B-way role.

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2014 1:24 AM

Jeely Kly!

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2014 3:17 AM

The dance numbers are amazing. I think Onna White did her best work here, even though she won a special Oscar for "Oliver!" 6 years later. The boys in the gymnasium number, the library and Shipoopi have some amazing butts. Not to mention Timmy Everett as Tommy. He was the brother of Liza's "beau" Tracey Everett. And hot as fuck. Gay boy who died too young. Drugs I think.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2014 3:49 AM

I always imagined Bob Preston had a huge schlong. So sexy.

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2014 4:04 AM

R7, it is each song's time signature that distinguishes them more than its tempo. "Seventy-Six Trombones" is a march: one-two! one-two! in 2/4 time. "Goodnight, My Someone" is a waltz: one-two-three, one-two-three, in 3/4 time.

by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2014 4:57 AM

I had Shirley on a flight a couple of years ago flying from Lax to New York. She was sitting in coach and we chatted for awhile. She still looks great and was very charming.and friendly. A class act.

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2014 5:13 AM

Did she tell you about her sons' big dicks, r31?

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2014 5:18 AM

All the way to R32 and not one mention of the DIVINE Hermione Gingold as Eulalie McKechnie Shinn!

Whomever had the brilliant idea to cast this British comic actress previously best known for her work in Noel Coward comedies as the all-American pretentious wife of the town's mayor deserves an Oscar.

Her counting to ten in the "indian" tongue alone is worth the price of admission, and of course she stops the film with just one word...

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2014 5:21 AM

The late great Robert Preston. Always a joy to experience. No one could have played Harold Hill better. Buddy Hackett, the always delightful Hermoine Gingold. Shirley Jones was a faint glimmer lost in their brilliance. And little Ronny (as he was then billed) Howard!

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2014 5:30 AM

I love Hermione Gingold as Eulalie McKechnie Shinn

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2014 5:36 AM

So do I.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2014 5:41 AM

Thank you, R33!

As a child I was fascinated by Hermione Gingold when the movie was shown on HBO, which it was often, incredibly enough.

Now I know why.

I love this movie, as do my straight siblings.

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2014 5:44 AM

[quote]The boys in the gymnasium number, the library and Shipoopi have some amazing butts.

Onna White sure was obsessed with people's butts.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2014 5:47 AM

The only other person who might have been better than Robert Preston would have been James Cagney (time travelling from 1933.)

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2014 6:17 AM

Do you think Hermione Gingold and Hermione Baddeley ever received each other's fan mail?

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2014 6:25 AM

The wonderful (and uncharacteristically non-profane) Buddy Hackett once told of complimenting Shirley Jones on her acting skills. Her ability to cry on cue was an amazement to Mr. Hackett. Take after take, Ms. Jones could always provide a tear.

Her secret, Mr. Hackett explained, was in her delicate fingernails. For in her right index finger, she had cut a sharp ledge. When tears were called for, Ms. Jones would raise her hands to her face, and with the deformed nail, pluck a nose hair from her nostril.

And the tears would flow.

by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2014 6:33 AM

R39

While brilliant as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy, Cagney was too Irish. Preston was the personification of the Mid Western huckster Harold Hill.

by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2014 6:38 AM

James Cagney was a short little troll, even when he was young. Better than Robert Preston? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2014 6:39 AM

My favorite part was the ladies doing their Grecian Urns.

ONE Grecian Urn. TWO Grecian Urns. And now, the fountain....

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2014 6:49 AM

One thing that annoyed me about the movie was when, during the "Pic-A-Little, Talk-A-Little," they kept showing shots of hens clucking and pecking even though the old biddies were in the middle of Main Street and there was no chicken coop in sight. I think the director wanted to emphasize to the audience that the women were supposed to look like a bunch of clucking hens, but he kinda beat you over the head with the imagery. I mean, it was evident by the song lyrics (e.g. cheep cheep cheep) and the women's plumed hats and head jerk movements what they were supposed to resemble.

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2014 7:00 AM

It was Cagney as con artist in a lot of Pre-Codes that suggested him to mind for the role.

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2014 8:28 AM

[quote]The dance numbers are amazing. I think Onna White did her best work here

I make sure to watch MM when it's on because of the incredible dance numbers - I'm not very familiar with Onna White, but she did some brilliant work here.

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2014 8:48 AM

What does Jones have to say about Preston's cock?

She was with Jack Cassidy then... did she 3-way with Cassidy and Preston?

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2014 8:56 AM

R16) Love that story and I can relate. My friend's parents performed in a local production of the play, so my friend and I knew every song. It was so exciting for me to hang around backstage. I watched the Partridge Family and I realized that something was up with me when I hung a poster of Susan Dey on the wall, instead of David Cassidy (I'm female).

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2014 9:26 AM

Cagney? He did have energy and charisma the role requires, but he's much too New York. The honest Iowans would have thought of him as a sort of foreigner.

And then there's his age. He'd done a film with Shirley Jones three years earlier, the justifiably forgotten "Never Steal Anything Small", and even then he looked like her grandfather. I mean, Preston was too old for Jones, but Cagney would have been a better match for Hermione Gingold.

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2014 9:27 AM

I was speculating about YOUNG Cagney. He was definitely too old at the time the play and movie came along. Just idle for-fun speculation. By the way there is a story that Jack Warner offered the part to....Cary Grant. Grant hadn't seen the play but when he saw Preston in it he not only turned Warner down but said he wouldn't even see the movie if Preston wasn't in it. Laughing at image of Cagney and Gingold together. That would have been fun! Hmmmmm....let's speculate on ...Burt Lancaster. (It's testimony to Preston that even the most plausible runners up just don't seem right...and it's even hard to come up with any runners-up.)

by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2014 9:38 AM

Actually, the two Hermiones loathed one another. They were often up for the same roles.

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2014 9:39 AM

It's one of the near-perfect musicals. It's not surprising to me that it beat West Side Story for the Best Musical Tony that year.

As for Onna White's work, it was spectacular: Mame, Half a Sixpence, 1776, Irma la Douce. Even I Had a Ball had some great things in it.

Nominated for 8 Tonys. Never won.

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2014 9:47 AM

Burt Lancaster had much too heavy a hand for the role, R51, and he was almost as New York as Cagney. Cary Grant would not have fit into the Midwestern setting, of course. Gene Kelly might have been okay, but he was too smug and too East Coast.

No, really, in my current sleep-deprived state I can't think of any 1962 actor who would have been better than Preston.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2014 9:49 AM

R45----The cutting away to the scenes of chicken makes it even funnier for me.

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2014 10:33 AM

I thought maybe Howard Keel or Gordon MacRae could have done the Harold Hill role justice, but no. It would have been somehow off. The role had Preston's name on it from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2014 10:35 AM

Robert Preston it was, is and ever shall be then! Not that any one we've pondered will ever get a chance at the role seeing as how they've all retired...to the grave! Any thoughts on substitutes for Shirley Jones? Doris Day was too old by that point. She might have been right ten years younger

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2014 11:06 AM

Marian the Librarian was a minor role, a foil for Hill. Mitzi Gaynor could have done it, even though she will forever be Nelly Forbush. Maybe Vera Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2014 11:25 AM

r58 Vera Ellen and Mitzi Gaynor had too much of an "edge" to their personalities. May I suggest Jean Crain? She had a lovely softness and girl-next-door quality about her, as was evident in her role in "Cheaper By The Dozen" and "State Fair." Don't know if she had a good singing voice though.

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2014 11:54 AM

I don't see how Matthew Broderick could come close to Preston. I've never seen the former in the newer version, but his casting seems improbable.

by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2014 12:02 PM

Today, I'd like to see Michael C. Hall as Hill.

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2014 2:15 PM

Craig Bierko played him in the 2000 revival and was nominated for a TOny.

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2014 2:18 PM

Someone will mention this since it always comes up in Music Man threads but Shirley was pregnant during filming. Her costumes were designed to cover her ever-expanding tummy. The fashions of that era with their Empire waists were just right for camouflage. Keep in mind that she was pregnant DURING filming so she is slimmer in some scenes than others.

The same was true of Judy Garland in her "Who" number from Till the Clouds Roll By. She was pregnant with Liza and was terrified of falling. HER dress also has an Empire waist and her dance steps are rather "gingerly" performed without much intricacy so as to protect her baby. Notice that she waves her arms around a lot, using a scarf for emphasis. She lets the chorus boys do the heavy lifting, literally.

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2014 2:47 PM

Eric McCormack also played Harold Hill to good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2014 4:54 PM

I saw an all-black version of MM last summer. The train station set ("Blacks only") was beautiful, and the opening number (yes, as Hugh pointed out on the Tony's, it IS a rap song) was fantastic.

The rest, not so much. They could have jettisoned the Irishness of the Paroo's with no problem, but they kept it and a black woman with an Irish brogue made no sense. This wasn't color-blind casting, it was supposed to be an all black community.

They also missed the opportunity of turning "Ya Got Trouble" into a gospel barn burner.

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2014 5:20 PM

R65 You've never heard of Black Irish?

by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2014 5:24 PM

R66, Black Irish refers to people of Irish ancestry who have features that are darker than stereotypical Irish features (i.e. blue or green eyes, reddish hair and pale skin), but they're still white. They just have dark hair and brown eyes.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2014 6:30 PM

I adore the boy dancers, especially Timmy Everett who played Tommy, the lead dancer. The bisexual Everett was dating Jane Fonda around this time when she was just starting out on Broadway. He died in 1977 of a heart attack at 39.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2014 6:53 PM

R67 It was a joke, son!

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2014 8:03 PM

Robert Preston was a homosexual and used to do it with Shirley's husband when Shirley was singing.

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2017 7:03 AM

Robert Preston was straight and something of a ladies' man as they used to say back then. He was a good guy and loved by casts and crews. A shame he couldn't stop smoking and it killed him.

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2017 7:33 AM

I have a friend who was in "Mack and Mabel" and she has nice things to say about Preston. During the run she discovered she was pregnant, and at the baby shower Preston gave her his own baby spoon. I think he never had kids.

by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2017 8:00 AM

[quote]No, really, in my current sleep-deprived state I can't think of any 1962 actor who would have been better than Preston.

How about ME?

by Anonymousreply 73June 14, 2017 1:34 AM

Will no one mention Barbara Cook who makes Shirley Jones look and especially sound like Shirley Temple

by Anonymousreply 74June 14, 2017 2:23 AM

I can think of one actor who might have been able to pull it off and who was considered for the Broadway role: Danny Kaye. Apparently, it was Kaye's wife, Sylvia, who insisted that the part wasn't right for Danny and so it went to Preston.

When the time came to film it, according to Willson, Warner called him to say that he wanted to buy the rights to "The Music Man" and cast Danny Kaye in the lead role. Willson insisted that it had to be Preston. Warner agreed and the rest is history.

By then, it looks like Kaye's wife had a change of heart because, as Willson reported:

[quote]One day Danny Kaye dropped in unannounced to say that he’d learned ‘Trouble.’ And he sang it, doing a heck of a job. I told him so, and he said, ‘I knew you’d say that. Do I get the job?’ And I said, ‘No, Bob Preston’s got the job.’

by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2017 2:42 AM

R33,: best line: "Take the body with you.."

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2017 1:35 AM

How did Robert Preston come to be cast in the original Broadway production? As far I know, his rep in the 1950s was mostly as a B movie star without much experience in stage or film musicals.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2017 1:45 AM

[quote] I don't much like the 1962 film version.

Perhaps you might prefer a version along these lines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2017 2:01 AM

He had no experience at all with musicals, R77, and had never sung a note in public before. He had done several Broadway shows, though, and I think I remember an interview with him once where he said he auditioned with "Trouble," which played to his strengths and was more talking than singing. The director loved him and persuaded Willson to go along. The rest is history.

Another site had this to say about the casting; I don't know if it's true or not:

[quote]but Danny Kaye had turned down the leading part of Professor Harold Hill. For that matter, so did Dan Dailey, Gene Kelly, and Phil Harris, thinking the story was too corny. It was the show's director, Morton Da Costa, who insisted that Robert Preston would be perfect for the role, even though Willson had his doubts about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2017 2:06 AM

I found the interview I was thinking of.

[quote]"They'd run through all the musical comedy people, before they cast me," he remembers. "Everybody had demands and the producers were getting sick of the crap. Ray Bolger liked the part, but he wanted 15 minutes in the second act to do his own thing. Finally, someone said, 'What about Preston? If he can carry a tune in a bucket, the part's his.' Well, I've never taken a singing lesson in my life. But fortunately they auditioned me with the 'Trouble' number, which is an actor's number all the way. No way an actor can fail with it. They were knocked off their feet. Enter career number three or four or whatever. From then on, I couldn't get a straight play script. Nothing but musicals."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2017 2:11 AM

Meryl Streep early in her career could have played Marian. But then someone would have forced Kevin Kline on the film, so I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2017 2:15 AM

Just remembered Robert Preston once reprised Harold Hill without the singing and dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2017 2:24 AM

I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2017 2:26 AM

The Music Man is one of my favorite musicals and I adore the movie version. [However, I don't care for the one with Matthew Broderick.] The movie has such stellar performances all around from Preston, Jones, Paul Ford, Hermione Gingold, Mary Wickes, Buddy Hackett, Pert Kelton, and Sara Seegar -- really, the whole damn lot of them.

I don't agree with someone upthread (from 2014) who complained that the movie has an "artificial" feel to it. To me, there's something so wonderfully nostalgic about it. A beautiful tribute -- neatly tied up with a bow -- to a time and place that really only exist on a stage or on film. Such innocence.

I don't recall when I first saw the film, but when l was about 12, my mom took me to a local summer production of TMM. Professor Hill was played by the most gorgeous guy I'd seen; tall, muscular, handsome. The next summer I joined that theater group, which was just down the street from our house. They were putting on a production of Little Me and my crush was the male lead. Sweet memories.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2017 3:11 AM

Trivia - Meredith Willson was the only musician to play under the batons of both John Philip Sousa and Arturo Toscanini (flute/piccolo)

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2017 3:49 AM

The Music Man is my all time favorite musical. I think the entire cast was just perfect for their roles. Robert Preston played the con man/music man incredibly well. Hermione Gingold as Eulalie McKechnie Shinn was such a hoot. I liked Shirley Jones as Maaaaaaaaarion. Madam Libraaaaaarian. Buddy Hacket was ideal. I read that Little Ronny Howard did had a bit of a lisp and it was just a matter of playing it up a bit. The songs were catchy. A good brass band is cool. It was so clever to slow down 76 Trombones to make Good Night My Someone.

No I have to go find me DVD and watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2017 3:58 AM

"...play under the batons of both...Sousa and...Toscanini"

So who had the bigger baton?

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2017 4:14 AM

It sounds like Preston was the only actor under consideration (except for Gene Kelly) with any sex appeal.

Danny Kaye, Dan Dailey, Ray Bolger, Phil Harris! Can't see the show working with any of them. Thank the theater gods they all passed.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2017 12:13 PM

r45 Nobody could play a clucking old hen like our Mary.

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2017 12:16 PM

Timmy Everett and his beautiful ass were divine. Best chorus boys ever!

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2017 12:22 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2017 12:36 PM

Wilson had been around for years; he even wrote the background score to THE LITTLE FOXES.

Preston was ideal, and earned immortality in the role. This didn't exactly end his doing non-musical roles; he was the original Henry II in the flop Broadway production of THE LION IN WINTER, opposite Rosemary Harris. Now that U would have liked to see!

The most appropriate candidate to play Harold Hill in a revival is Andy Karl, who'd be perfect for it. He has exactly the right swagger, and can also sing.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2017 1:18 PM

r87, Forrest Tucker, who starred in the first national tour, had the biggest baton.

All those names listed above did turn down the part. I can see all of them except Kaye, whose prancing mannerisms would have been rococo à la mode in a part that needs to be played straight, In addition to Tucker, Bert Parks led a tour, Eddie Albert replaced Preston on Broadway and Van Johnson starred in the original London production.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2017 2:03 PM

I love The Music Man -- on stage. The movie is just too over-produced for me, although Preston and many others are terrific in it (even if they are playing to the back of the balcony).

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2017 4:24 PM

For those of you who think the movies is over-produced and too theatrical, how do you think it compares to MGM Golden Age movies like Meet Me in St. Louis, On the Town and Good News?

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2017 9:06 PM

Seeing the live stage productions are almost always better - more energy - get lost in the moment more so does not seem as artificial - but I do think Music Man is one of the better adaptions of a stage musical. Probably the best of Shirley Jones adaptions, although Oklahoma and Carousal aren't bad and Jones and McCrea are likable leads, the movies are a little flat. Music Man does a good job having some energy in the dance numbers etc.

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2017 9:47 PM

I really wish I could have seen Forrest Tucker do The Music Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 17, 2017 12:38 AM

I think I read somewhere that Jackie Gleason was one of the names offered the original production. I guess they thought his starring in Bob Merrill's "Take Me Along" in 1959 would be an identical hit. It was a hit, but not a monster hit like "The Music Man" which ran an astounding three and a half years, almost unheard of at the time.

by Anonymousreply 98June 17, 2017 3:29 AM

Preston was ugly and hammy. Look at him below he's so hammy he could've killed Mama Cass and the other three as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 18, 2019 7:28 AM

The Tony tribute the year Preston died was wonderful. First Bernadette Peters sang Time Heals Everything from Mack & Mabel in an autumnal scene, then the stage revolved to bring out Barbara Cook shimmering in gold to sing Till There Was You from the Music Man, both in amazing voice.

by Anonymousreply 100June 18, 2019 7:57 AM

The original Shipoopi . Quality leaves something to be desired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 18, 2019 12:35 PM

The remake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 18, 2019 12:38 PM

In second grade I played Winthrop in a high school production. I was always pissed that we kids were't in Shipooopi. We'd just do our own Shipoopi number backstage. The movie was my introduction to Shirley Jones and later when I found out that the Partridge Family was like the Brady Bunch but with Shirley Jones I was all in.

These days I only sing along with Being In Love. I tingle at every clang clang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 18, 2019 12:59 PM

My great grandpa was in the movie! He sang Shipoopi!

by Anonymousreply 104June 18, 2019 1:39 PM

My favorite musical as well. Preston was perfect for the roll and the rest of the cast too. The songs in it were brilliant.

I watched the Matthew Broderick version once. He was awful in the roll and I will never watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 105June 18, 2019 2:00 PM

Saw it on a huge screen as part of a film series. Even on the largest tv, you never get the same impact as seeing a film on a big screen.

One image (well, bit) which really jumped out for me is Amaryllis at the piano and her cross over note. The piano key board is at the bottom runs the entire expense of the shots and she looks even tinier.

by Anonymousreply 106June 18, 2019 2:20 PM

[quote]My favorite musical as well. Preston was perfect for the roll and the rest of the cast too. The songs in it were brilliant. I watched the Matthew Broderick version once. He was awful in the roll and I will never watch it again.

Double "oh, dear."

by Anonymousreply 107June 18, 2019 7:11 PM

It's on 'MoviesTV' right now. Odd that no one has wondered about Preston's orientation. He SCREAMS gay in every scene...

by Anonymousreply 108December 28, 2019 6:48 PM

For me, one of the problems with the film - and it's common to many 50's and 60's wide-screen color films - is that the lighting tends to be flat and overly bright. The kind of nuance you see in Minnelli's best color work, or the 1954 A Star is Born, pretty much disappeared. Maybe it was a challenge related to the wide-screen cinematography, but it's something that always disappoints me.

by Anonymousreply 109December 28, 2019 7:34 PM

[quote] Also neat to notice the counterpoint of "Dream of Night..." against "Lida Rose."(if counterpoint is the right term.)

The song's title is actually "Will I Ever Tell You?" (not "Dream of Night...") and its lyrics actually are "Dream of now,/Dream of then...," not "Dream of night..." It's one of the prettiest songs in the entire score.

It's funny to me that Meredith Willson never had another good now in him after that. "The Unsinkable Molly Brown": had a respectable run, but the songs are much inferior, as is his version of "Miracle on 34th Street," "Here's Love." but "the Music Man" has one of the best scores of any broadway show--nearly every song in it is a winner, and for the movie he replaced one of the few songs from the stage show that's pretty weak, "My White Night," with a much better song: "Being in Love."

Shirley Jones was a mixed choice as Marian Paroo: she was very pretty, and she had a lovely silvery voice. She emphasizes Marian's snobbishness and coldness, though, which doesn't make her very likeable (although she redeems herself quite a bit with her warm smile when Winthrop comes out of his shell to sing his verse in 'Wells-Fargo Wagon"). Onna White does her best work for this movie, and the "Shipoopi" sequence is beautifully choreographed. Hermione Gingold gets almost every ounce of humor imaginable out of Mrs. Shinn (Paul Douglas is pretty tedious as her husband though).

As for Timmy Everett: his dancer's ass is a thing of wonder, and is the single best thing in the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 110December 28, 2019 7:47 PM

Jackie Gleason would have been great in The Music Man. He has a great patter song in "Take Me Along" called "Sid, Ol' Kid" that is very much like the sorts of patter songs Harold Hill sings, and he does it terrifically.

the problem, though, is he was so fat it would have been hard to cast a Marcellus Washburn to contrast against him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 28, 2019 7:50 PM

That was Paul Ford, r110

by Anonymousreply 112December 28, 2019 7:52 PM

You're right, r110--thanks for the correction.

by Anonymousreply 113December 28, 2019 7:55 PM

R109, no that's the fault of the director, who had directed the stage version and knew no better. The entire production is very set-bound and 'stagey', ironically kind of like Minnelli's 'Brigadoon'.

by Anonymousreply 114December 28, 2019 11:27 PM

Love, love, love this film, the performances, the actors, and the musical's numbers and story. And for those upthread who mentioned the actors "playing to the balconies" and the production seeming stagey, remember too that this was a Warner Bros. production, and most all their stage-adapted films and films' orchestration and vocals always were LOUD.

by Anonymousreply 115December 29, 2019 3:28 AM

Broderick wasn't right for the 2003 production, but Kristen Chenoweth nailed her high notes -- a key or two higher -- and better than poor Ms. Jones'.

At 3:15 into this clip...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 29, 2019 5:30 AM

This is also my favorite musical. Preston was perfect for the role and so was Shirley Jones. The rest of the cast was also great. Buddy Hackett, Hermoine, Timmy Everett , marion's mother and even Ronny Howard as Winthrop all performed their roles to make this the best musical IMHO. The songs were also extremely memorable. Now I got to dig out my old DVD and watch it again.

The Broderick remake fell flat. Broderick was absolutely wrong for the role. Never want to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 117December 29, 2019 8:01 AM

I think Seth Mcfarland would make a Great Harold Hill in a remake or one of those Live performances.

by Anonymousreply 118March 26, 2020 2:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!