Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jessica Lange didn't deserve any of her two oscars

There, I've said it. Blue Sky was pure trash and it's hard to believe critics liked it so much (maybe Tony Richardson's death had something to do with it). Jessica was actually enjoyably coquettish in her role but I don't really consider that to be fine acting.

And her Tootsie oscar was hillarious, escpecially since she was completely overshadowed by the rest of the supporting cast which was stellar (Charles Durning, Teri Garr, Bill Murray) and yet she was the only one to get an oscar.

She's certainly not a bad actress but every single one of her roles could have been easily played by dozens of other actresses. Without her looks in her prime nobody would give a damn about her.

by Anonymousreply 141April 23, 2018 3:04 PM

A couple of things. First: "Deserve" Oscars. Really? What a child you are, OP. Oscars aren't a measure of merit, like the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

Also: No one cares who won Oscars several decades ago.

And: No one fucking cares about Jessica Lange, and hasn't since 1993.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2014 1:27 PM

She did deserve an Oscar for Cape Fear, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2014 1:29 PM

OP, you're ridiculous. Jessica is one of our finest actors and I'm thrilled with both her wins. She was great in "Blue Sky" and she was great in "Tootsie." Everyone knows the latter was a consolation prize for not winning for "Frances" the same year, but so what?

And your word choice is wrong. It should be "either," not "any."

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2014 1:36 PM

The Streep Troll (TM) is alive and well!

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2014 1:41 PM

She looks like a FREAK

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2014 1:45 PM

Preach R4!

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2014 1:48 PM

I have to agree about the Tootsie Oscar. Even Terry Garr did a better job as the neurotic girlfriend.

Jessica Lange has always coasted by on her looks, which I guess is one of the perks of being a beautiful blonde in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2014 1:51 PM

I agree with OP and have always thought this, and wondered what all the excitement was about.

She is a tiresome hot mess in AHS. Stopped watching during season two, tried 3 and it's so ridiculous, couldn't get further than episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2014 1:55 PM

Well, I don't write the damned thing R8!

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2014 1:57 PM

I agree Tootsie wasn't an Oscar winning role but if you recall it... Lange was luminous and beautiful in that picture... she had pure star quality. Sometimes the Academy gets distracted and then carried away, awarding a stupid prize. Don't the blame the actress.

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2014 1:58 PM

[quote]The Streep Troll (TM) is alive and well!

And more tedious than ever!!!

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2014 1:58 PM

Getting involved with the uber-pretentious Sam Sheperd doesn't seem to have helped her career. getting old and getting really bad, Wildenstein-like plastic surgery have made things worse.

She had a lot of buzz for awhile but she never had the range of Sissy Spacek or Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2014 1:59 PM

Did you fuckers not see Frances? The Postman Always Rings Twice? Grey Gardens? She's a beautiful blonde who learned how to act. No Grace Kelly Syndrome here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2014 2:00 PM

She maybe deserved one of her Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2014 2:01 PM

I don't know much about her movie work, but any woman who can pull off "The Name Game" in American Horror Story is amazing to me. That scene was the best out of the who season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2014 2:06 PM

OP = tiresome, sad little troll still living under a bridge somewhere

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2014 2:07 PM

OP, Charles Durning and Bill Murray weren't eligible for Best Supporting Actress that year.

FAIL!

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2014 2:09 PM

I think she'd make a perfect Norma Desmond... she's got marvellous bone structure and a great haughtiness when she wants.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2014 2:09 PM

Go back and read the original reviews for Tootsie. She was the emergent star. She received nothing but raves.

Vincent Canby in the NYT: "Miss Lange is a total delight in a comedy role to which she brings the same sort of intelligent gravity that distinguishes her work in Frances."

I suspect her work is just entirely too sophisticated for you, OP. How was Transformers?

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2014 2:14 PM

[quote] Jessica Lange didn't deserve any of her two oscars

EITHER of her two oscars

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2014 2:20 PM

Lange was nominated for two Oscars the year she won her first, so she was the belle of the ball, even if it was clear she was going to lose Best Actress to Streep for "Sophie's Choice". Lange was ferocious and stunning in "Frances", and beautiful, luminous and swoon-worthy in "Tootsie", and as great as Teri Garr was in that film as well (and she too was nominated), Lange's double-punch that year showing such incredible range pretty much guaranteed she'd win. (Only a few years later when Sigourney Weaver lost in both lead and supporting categories in the same year did an actress who was nominated in both categories actually lose in both.)

As for "Blue Sky", that year was the pits for actresses, period. So bad that Jodie Foster was Lange's major competition, for "Nell" of all things. "Blue Sky" had been shelved for years, and it possibly even got released when it did because it looked like Lange could possibly come in for a win. No, Lange would not have won for that film in almost any other year, but that's not how the Oscars work.

That said, one of her best performances is in an otherwise underwhelming film, "A Thousand Acres". Lange is fantastic in that.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2014 2:22 PM

I always thought Lange was rather strange looking around the eyes. Very pretty when young, handsome now, but still, odd looking.

She had some famous boyfriends that boosted her image early in her career. She acted in the movie "In Secret" as Madame Raquin that came out this year. She was very good as a widowed creepy and controlling Frenchwoman. Perhaps that's her forte now, creepy older women.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2014 2:30 PM

I never cared much for her as an actress. That whispery, lispy voice of hers always irritated the hell out of me.

Her performance in "Tootsie" was forgettable fluff. Lesley Ann Warren should have won that year for "Victor/Victoria." Her performance was dynamica and hilarious. She won an Oscar for "Blue Sky" because the competition was really weak that year.

I'ver never thought she was a good enough actress to win an Oscar and she's won TWO of them. It needs to be said again: the Oscars are a crock.

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2014 2:37 PM

She has more oscars than Jennifer Jason Leigh, Miranda Richardson, Julie Walters, Barbara Stanwyck, Liv Ullmann, Deborah Kerr, Geraldine Page, G., Julianne Moore and Jean Harlow combined.

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2014 2:39 PM

So many anti-women threads on here today.

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2014 2:44 PM

[quote] Also: No one cares who won Oscars several decades ago.

Oh boy, you must be new to DL. Here even a 1954 best actress oscar race is still a matter of almost weekly debates.

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2014 2:47 PM

For God's sake R25... Jessica Lange didn't deserve any of her two Oscars is not anti-women. Stop looking for trouble where there isn't any. It's half the reason the world's so fucking tedious these days. There's important things happening but everybody's being too busy being offended in their own little bubble to care.

The kidnapping of the little girls in Nigeria - that's anti-women.

Forced marriage - that's anti-women.

A thread about Jessica Lange's Oscar deservedness is not anti-women. You're really to dumb to be concerned about the issue. And, yes, I'm anti-moron.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2014 2:55 PM

OP - you don't deserve to live.

Just you wait.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2014 2:58 PM

[quote]She has more oscars than Jennifer Jason Leigh, Miranda Richardson, Julie Walters, Barbara Stanwyck, Liv Ullmann, Deborah Kerr, Geraldine Page, G., Julianne Moore and Jean Harlow combined.

Who are these people?

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2014 3:02 PM

Wow, I'm surprised it took 28 replies for the first death threat to appear, especially since Miss Lange is worshipped as some sort of deity on DL. But I'm glad to see there are quite a few people who agree with me about her being seriously overrated here.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2014 3:05 PM

I love Jessica Lange and think you're all nuts. Interesting to note that her Blue Sky Oscar could've easily gone to...Linda Fiorentino that year had her film, The Last Seduction, not been disqualified by the Academy that year because it had a brief run on Showtime prior to its qualifying cinematic release. Fiorentino won the NYFCC and the NSFC awards for Best Actress that year, among 5 other critics awards and received the Independent Spirit a Award and a BAFTA nomination.

It's just as well she was disqualified because the DL would still be going on about her win and making a sport of trashing her performance ("She didnt do nuttin'!"), which I really love.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2014 3:08 PM

I always liked her. Loved her unusual looks and appeal. My worry is not about oscars deserved or in the future.

My worry is that her plastic surgery has not only left her unrecognizable but there is no 'look' there any more. Not just her previous look but any look at all that is recognizably a persons face.

Now what roles will she get? We have lost a fine actress. No don't answer I don't wanna hear....

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2014 3:09 PM

She saved the crew of "Cape Fear" from having to tear down any sets because she and Nolte chewed them up.

"I'M NOT ON FUCKING TRIAL HERE!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2014 3:11 PM

She deserved the Oscar (for Cape Fear) that Jodie Foster received in 1992 (for the Silence of the Lambs), so it all equals out, no?

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2014 3:11 PM

What did she do to her face? Ewwww

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2014 3:14 PM

Wow, this thread is totally insane.

For real!

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2014 3:15 PM

There are only a select few of us who deserve all our Oscars and nominations.

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2014 3:16 PM

Her plastic surgeries made her look like Beth Grant. Unless that was her specific wish I'd say someone really screwed up her face BIG time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2014 3:25 PM

Her Oscar for TOOTSIE was a compensation for not winning for FRANCES. If she'd only been nominated for one or the other that year, she'd gone home empty-handed.

And she only won in 1994 because Jodie Foster in NELL was her only major competition having won the first ever SAG Award, so she had the actors' support. But the Academy was not gonna award Foster with a THIRD Best Actress Oscar in six years at just 32 years of age.

I agree with R31 that Linda Fiorentino would've probably won for THE LAST SEDUCTION had she been eligible. She and the film both got raves up the wazoo!

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2014 3:26 PM

And pat "M" comes, like the grim reaper, to kill another thread.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2014 3:27 PM

Her face is like a mask. What procedure is that? A full facelift? Some radical procedure that was supposed to be the new thing that she jumped on? Real sad there's so much insecurity among Hollywood types.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2014 3:28 PM

OP needs to go finger himself in a corner.

She deserves both of them and MORE!!!

Granted Tootsie was wonderful, but not oscar worthy. She got that award for Frances, since the Academy had no choice but to give the Oscar to that old sow Streep. (I mean how could you not?)

Frankly, if Frances was a better film that did better at the box office, Streep may have won for the correct role.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2014 3:35 PM

The great Thelma Schoonmaker (Scorsese's editor), who edited Lange in "Cape Fear," said of Lange: "She is a prefect combination of emotion and intelligence."

This came from a film professional who has won three Oscars for her contribution to the art of film. The woman is a legend.

Lange is one of the greats. She gives herself to the camera like few actors do. Watch "Frances" today; that performance is a fresh as it was back then. It's because Lange acts from a place of truth.

No one will ever come to DL and mistake this place as knowledgeable of cinema. (I fully expect a DL-er questioning the talent and expertise of Ms. Schoonmaker.)

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2014 3:38 PM

[quote]Lange is one of the greats. She gives herself to the camera like few actors do.... No one will ever come to DL and mistake this place as knowledgeable of cinema.

True. True. TRUE.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2014 3:44 PM

"Also: No one cares who won Oscars several decades ago.

And: No one fucking cares about Jessica Lange, and hasn't since 1993."

You must be a newbie. DL is obsessed with the Oscars and we always talk about Jessica Lange! She's an icon around these parts.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2014 3:53 PM

"Music Box" is always overlooked when JL's films are mentioned. It's a great suspenseful movie, and Lange is top-notch in it. Persuasive, loving, tender AND unraveling before our eyes. Armin Mueller-Stahl as her father is frightingly terrific. Check out this gem. She should've been nommed for this film.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2014 4:00 PM

I loved her in Sweet Dreams - she should have won an Oscar for that one!

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2014 4:04 PM

There is, in my opinion, no more stunning growth acting-wise than Jessica Lange between "King Kong" (in which she's abysmal) and the 1-2 punch in 1982 of "Frances" and "Tootsie." No other film actor went from zero to sixty in terms of learning what it means to inhabit a character, and it's there on film for us to see.

In a scant six years she went from a self-conscious model who stank up every scene she was in to a real actress who more than held her own with the likes of Jack Nicholson and Dustin Hoffman. Remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2014 4:05 PM

R46, she was nominated for MUSIC BOX. She lost to Jessica Tandy in DRIVING MISS DAISY. I think Lange was third that year. Pfeiffer was a close runner-up for THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS, and the two foreigners, Isabelle Adjani (CAMILLE CLAUDEL) and Pauline Collins (SHIRLEY VALENTINE), were dead last.

by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2014 4:07 PM

r49 I sit corrected. Much obliged.

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2014 4:11 PM

Lange was great in Tootsie but she won that year because Streep won best actress for “Sophie’s Choice.” Lange is okay in “Blue Sky,” but that film and performance are largely forgettable, and 1994 is legendary as one of the weakest best actress races in modern times. So, she deserves her two Oscars as much as anyone else (Hillary Swank, Sally Field) does.

Despite early fame, Jess never really registered as a film star (she is kind of aloof and awkward). Most of her movies were duds. She owes Ryan Murphy a big thank you for putting her back into public consciousness on television. She already is tired after working for 4 years, so it kind of tells you how disinterested she is in acting.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2014 4:19 PM

I love Lange in "Men Don't Leave" another underappreciated gem (which also stars hottie Chris O'Donnell and Kathy Bates).

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2014 4:21 PM

"So, she deserves her two Oscars as much as anyone else (Hillary Swank, Sally Field) does."

Yeah, but the difference is that Jessica has been good in any number of roles, while Hillary wasn't good in anything except the two movies she won the Oscar for!

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2014 4:29 PM

R48, no one thought Jessica Lange was abysmal in King Kong, they just thought acting with a giant ape was an inauspicious start. She got great reviews even though the film was dull. It's not like she was playing opposite Andy Serkis, y'know. The effects were very old school. The film won a Special Achievement Oscar. I'm sure it's Best Cinematography nomination had something to do with the gorgeous Lange, captive in the palm of an ape.

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2014 4:30 PM

JL is a great actress. She is a reason I started to watch AHS, brilliant cast, she was the first thing I wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2014 4:33 PM

Wonderful actress, lovely woman and great in both those films. OP is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2014 5:18 PM

Awesome choice, Music Box. Amazing performance.

The final scenes at her father's house are brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2014 5:23 PM

Jessica Lange's style of acting is punk rock whereas Saint Meryl of Streep's style of acting is easy listening.

I fucking love that Jessica Lange! You never know what she'll come up with acting wise and that is as sexy as it is suspenseful.

by Anonymousreply 58June 30, 2014 5:24 PM

[quote]Jessica Lange's style of acting is punk rock whereas Saint Meryl of Streep's style of acting is easy listening.

Great analogy! Streep plays it safe more often than not, while Lange takes inspiring risks.

by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2014 5:26 PM

[quote]She has more oscars than Jennifer Jason Leigh, Miranda Richardson, Julie Walters, Barbara Stanwyck, Liv Ullmann, Deborah Kerr, Geraldine Page, G., Julianne Moore and Jean Harlow combined.

What's your point?

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2014 5:34 PM

I don't think Lange is quite as talentless as OP made her sound but she is totally overrated. You bitches need to watch more movies (including Asian and European ones) before you start talking about a slightly above average actress like Lange is in such superlatives because you sound like deluded fanboys.

For instance, I watched Irene Papas in Electra a few weeks ago. Watch that movie and then compare that performance with anything that Lange has ever done and you'll get a better picture of what I'm trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2014 5:51 PM

R58 wins.

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2014 5:54 PM

Lange has 1.5 Oscars. A supporting award counts only for half, when it comes to cachet. Streep has 2.5. Swank, Fonda, Field, Foster, Hoffman, Jackson, Penn, Hanks, Rainer (Don't laugh.) all are at 2.0.

Only Jack Nicholson equals Streep at 2.5. And, of course, Daniel Day Lewis is the current living champ with 3.0, second only to Hepburn with her 4.0.

Lange's peers are Blanchett, De Niro, Maggie Smith, Spacey, Hackman, and Denzel Washington.

There sure are a lot of people out there now with two Oscars - add Wiest, Caine and Walz at 1.0 for their two supporting awards and the repeats among living performers really show.

No wonder a lot of people can't catch a break.

by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2014 5:58 PM

R63 You forgot Ingrid Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2014 6:01 PM

[quote]Only Jack Nicholson equals Streep at 2.5.

Ingrid Bergman also has two Lead Oscars (GASLIGHT, ANASTASIA) and one Supporting (MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS).

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2014 6:09 PM

She's a consummately professional actress, who actually has gotten better as she has aged. I don't begrudge her her Oscars in light of that. Not fair, but I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2014 6:14 PM

Do people really judge how talented an actor is by how many Oscars they have? If so, that's not the most reliable gauge. Oscars are won for many reasons but best performance of the year is far down on the list.

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2014 6:14 PM

[quote] Lesley Ann Warren should have won that year for "Victor/Victoria."

One of the funniest performances ever. Just terrific.

by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2014 7:20 PM

I think I'm getting a little hard for R58.

by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2014 7:24 PM

I loved her in tootsie. She just had a sweet innocence that pulled you in.

by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2014 7:35 PM

[quote] She just had a sweet innocence that pulled you in.

Be careful, my dear. I said the same thing about Samantha Geimer and look where that got me.

by Anonymousreply 71June 30, 2014 7:43 PM

Lange is not peers with Cate Blanchett, because Cate Blanchett is a film actress. Jessica Lange is having a second life on television, but she is doing a cable series(episodic, horror, camp). I like Jess, but no one considers her to be a hot commodity in film.

And the 0.5 Oscar thing is bullshit, completely made up. Either you have one or you don't.

by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2014 7:50 PM

She is ok but her performances are so manic, melodramatic, over-the-top. I guess some people like that, but it's just always so obvious she's acting.

She did a bang-up job playing Goop's psychotic cunt mother-in-law in Hush.

I also don't like her personality. She takes these roles, like Hush or Losing Isaiah, cashes her check, then when they are poorly received she goes to the press and talks shit about the writing/direction/etc. Never her fault. If the writing was so bad and the director so terrible why did you take the part?

I can see why she stopped getting hired when she talks shit publicly about everyone she works with and blames her failures on everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 73June 30, 2014 7:59 PM

[quote]I also don't like her personality. She takes these roles, like Hush or Losing Isaiah, cashes her check, then when they are poorly received she goes to the press and talks shit about the writing/direction/etc. Never her fault. If the writing was so bad and the director so terrible why did you take the part?

I remember that LOSING ISAIAH and ROB ROY opened a month apart (in that order) and Lange said in an interview after the latter's release that if she had known she would eventually do ROB ROY, she would never have made LOSING ISIAH. I thought that was very cunty of her, to trash-talk your film 'cause it was poorly received and in the same breath clutch onto the film that's doing well.

by Anonymousreply 74June 30, 2014 8:15 PM

Poooookieeee!

by Anonymousreply 75June 30, 2014 8:37 PM

Jessica Lange is one of our greatest actresses. She deserved the Oscar for "Frances" and didn't get it.

Lange was very good in "Blue Sky" even if the movie weren't a classic. However, considering the other female nominees the year of "Blue Sky," yes, Lange deserved the Oscar. It wasn't a great year for female lead roles that year and as a result, she was the best of the bunch. Again, Lange was very good even if the movie wasn't great.

I happen to like "Blue Sky," but don't blame Lange for winning. Blame Hollywood for not producing a great crop of movies with female leading performances that year.

by Anonymousreply 76June 30, 2014 8:37 PM

She was great in Sweet Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 77June 30, 2014 8:41 PM

I couldn't agree more, OP. The Oscar should only be awarded to those of us who have delivered an utterly transcendent performance, one that changes forever the lives of common people who view it.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 78June 30, 2014 8:41 PM

Pooky... it's no big deal. It happens to everyone... men, I mean. We're lucky... women, I mean... we can fake it if we have to! Oh, don't get me wrong... I never have with you! Faked it, I mean. With you it's like... pow, pow, pow, like the fourth of July, every time! But just tonight, cause you couldn't get it... up to now, it's been grand, Pooky, really, really grand. But if there's one thing I know for sure, you can't let it get you, if you'll excuse the expression, down. You can't think about it, you just gotta put it out of your mind! The more you think about it, the more you worry. The more you worry, the more you think. Think, worry, worry, think… mmm, too soft... it just gets like a vicious coicle! And then, before you know it, you are impudent!

What's with the soap?

by Anonymousreply 79June 30, 2014 8:46 PM

I agree with the OP. She's not an actress, she chews up scenery.

by Anonymousreply 80June 30, 2014 8:48 PM

She's fantastic as Tamora in Julie Taymor's Titus film. Also love her scene in the bathtub with Albert Finney in Big Fish.

by Anonymousreply 81June 30, 2014 8:50 PM

Lesley Ann Warren should have won that year for "Victor/Victoria."

R68. Now there's an actress who was robbed of an Oscar. Lesley Ann Warren in "Victor/Victoria" carrying on ranting and raving on the train was one of the most hysterical supporting actress performances ever. She was a friggin riot and deserved to win.

I'm sorry Lesley Ann Warren didn't win since it's unlikely she'll have another chance.

by Anonymousreply 82June 30, 2014 8:50 PM

I could watch Jessica Lange read the phone book. She's the best.

"Frances" blew me away. Also loved her in "Men Don't Leave."

by Anonymousreply 83June 30, 2014 8:51 PM

Watch "Tootsie" again. Poor Teri Garr was robbed. Jessica only won for "Blue Sky" because 1994 was an incredibly weak year for female performances. Look at the other nominees, they had no chance of winning.

by Anonymousreply 84June 30, 2014 8:56 PM

Interesting Jessica won the NY film critics supporting actress award for Tootsie also. And the National Society of Film critics award and the globe. Guess Ampas felt like these other organizations they had to give her something for the stellar year she had. I really do believe all the other actresses deserved it more than Jessica for the oscar in 1982. She really won it for Frances. As far as 1994 goes I believe she really deserved it for Blue Sky. That character perfectly suited her talents and she really got under my skin in that one. The field was pretty weak that year and I feel voters were indifferent to giving Jodie Foster a third oscar for her vanity project Nell.

by Anonymousreply 85June 30, 2014 8:59 PM

[quote]She is ok but her performances are so manic, melodramatic, over-the-top

Wait - so now we're discussing Streep? She owns the words "melodramatic and over-the-top."

by Anonymousreply 86June 30, 2014 9:03 PM

Jessica Lange said she did not like Losing Isaiah because the director copped out- I believe the script completely changed- Isaiah was going to be given back to Halle's character period.

Then they switched it up at the end with that schmaltzy unrealistic ending.

I think that is the only reason she did not enjoy that film. She did says her agent was getting nervous because she had not done anything in awhile, either. I know she and Halle did not get along well either. Which probably worked for the film.

I found her excellent in it, (and that awful Halle was great too)but the film was wishy washy.

by Anonymousreply 87June 30, 2014 9:55 PM

[quote] The great Thelma Schoonmaker (Scorsese's editor), who edited Lange in "Cape Fear," said of Lange: "She is a prefect combination of emotion and intelligence."

Lange's only female co-stars in that movie were Juliette Lewis and Illeana Douglas. I think pretty much anyone would appear "emotional & intelligent" next to those two.

by Anonymousreply 88June 30, 2014 10:14 PM

[quote]Lange's only female co-stars in that movie were Juliette Lewis and Illeana Douglas. I think pretty much anyone would appear "emotional & intelligent" next to those two.

Schoonmaker didn't mean it compared to the other actors in the film (including DeNiro, Nolte, Peck), but you know that already, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 89June 30, 2014 10:39 PM

Jessica was insanely good in Cape Fear. She should have gotten a supporting actress nomination herself!

Meryl's fans here really need to get fingerfucked or something, Your agendas are CLEAR, CUNTS!

by Anonymousreply 90June 30, 2014 10:42 PM

R64 and R65, I posted about living actors, as noted a couple times. If you want to add dead ones, by all means remember Walter Brennan's three Oscars. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 91June 30, 2014 11:41 PM

Her squirrel monologue and campy scenes in American Horror Story have redefined what it means to be a cable television actress. I felt bad for her in Cape Fear, groveling like a victim just so she could work with Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 92July 1, 2014 1:04 AM

The only Oscar Streep came by naturally was her supporting win.

Her Sophie's Choice was because of three things:

Learning to speak unaccented Polish

Learning to speak German with a Polish accent

"Take her, take my baby."

The Iron Lady was ridiculous. She's incapable of giving an honest performance anymore, as August Osage County proved. When you're outclassed by Julia Roberts, you know it's time for some self-reflection.

by Anonymousreply 93July 1, 2014 6:04 AM

Um, Streep won because she is the best. Can Jess not sustain a thread on her own checkered career?

by Anonymousreply 94July 1, 2014 6:08 AM

Tatum O'Neal robbed co-star Madeleine Kahn of a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in PAPER MOON. Nominating O'Neal in that category based on her billing was outrageous. They should have given her a non-competitive Oscar like Shirley Temple and Judy Garland got or they should have nominated her for Best Actress. She plays the film's undeniably leading female role. As Trixie Delight, Kahn gave one of the greatest comic Supporting Actress performances ever nominated. She is hilarious, heart-breaking, and unforgettable - all in a short space of time. It's precisely the sort of performance that deserves to win an Oscar for Supporting Actress.

Back to your Jessica thread. Pardon me.

by Anonymousreply 95July 1, 2014 7:14 AM

I adore Jessica Lange and I think she is an outstanding actress. Love her in AHS too. And, as has been mentioned, her performance in 'Frances' was tremendous. Glad to see her still getting relevant work.

by Anonymousreply 96July 1, 2014 12:57 PM

"She's incapable of giving an honest performance anymore, as August Osage County proved. When you're outclassed by Julia Roberts, you know it's time for some self-reflection."

No sensible person thought she was "outclassed" by Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 97July 1, 2014 3:06 PM

R95, I think PJ Johnson was even better than Madeline Kahn. *That* was Paper Moon's best supporting performance.

by Anonymousreply 98July 1, 2014 3:25 PM

R97, Streep was outclassed by Roberts in AOS. Admittedly that isn't saying very much, but Roberts was giving a film performance whereas Streep was doing some mix of stage acting coupled with Whatever Happened to Baby Jane-style histrionics.

by Anonymousreply 99July 1, 2014 6:37 PM

"Admittedly that isn't saying very much, but Roberts was giving a film performance whereas Streep was doing some mix of stage acting coupled with Whatever Happened to Baby Jane-style histrionics."

Only Julia's PR team agrees with you

by Anonymousreply 100July 1, 2014 6:47 PM

R99 has it right. Streep went for the ham with a side of gothic in AOC, while Roberts played it much more naturally. Roberts came across as an accomplished film actress, while Streep came across as a clown trying everything in her bag of tricks to make something work.

Roberts is not a great actress by any means, but she knows what to do on film and she came across better than Streep did.

by Anonymousreply 101July 2, 2014 12:08 AM

She was very good indeed in "Frances"

And yes, very easy to look at, just how we like our big screen actors.

by Anonymousreply 102July 2, 2014 12:39 AM

Streep did not come across as a clown. That seems like more reaching. Why is she even mentioned in a thread that is supposed to be about Jessica Lange? You would almost think that people have run out of anything else positive to say about Jessica. I like her but AHS is niche cable tv horror. Most do not watch it. She is playing Mark Wahlberg's mom and Shirley MacLaine's BFF in future films and we will see if she makes an impact with movie audiences.

by Anonymousreply 103July 2, 2014 2:07 AM

"She deserves both of them and MORE!!!"

Oh shut up, you ass. You're crazy.

Jessica Lange is much more lucky than talented. That's mostly what it comes down to when it comes to Oscars: luck.

by Anonymousreply 104July 2, 2014 2:14 AM

6 Oscar noms, 2 wins; 5 Emmy noms, 2 wins; 5 SAG noms, 1 win; 12 Golden Globe noms, 5 wins. You don't receive all those accolades on luck alone. You have to have talent and respect and admiration from your peers, press, and the public. To diminish Lange's accomplishments and chalk up to luck is ridiculous.

And to say that she coasted on her looks is also ridiculous, because if you remember back in the day, she got a lot of flak for NOT capitalizing on her looks and purposely deglamming herself so that she'd be taken seriously as an actress. Country, Music Box, O Pioneers!, Cousin Bette, etc. Definitely not glamorous roles.

by Anonymousreply 105July 2, 2014 3:38 AM

"To diminish Lange's accomplishments and chalk up to luck is ridiculous."

Her Oscars were certainly more the result of luck than anything else. She didn't deserve either of them. She just got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2014 10:55 PM

R104 needs to loosen his truss. It's making him irritable.

by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2014 11:13 PM

R106 is crazy. I'll bet he'd eat Streep's shit if she let him.

For the record, r106, go read the majority of Lang's reviews for anything. Or are you implying that you know better than most of the world's film critics?

by Anonymousreply 108July 3, 2014 12:09 AM

The level of brutality here is wasted energy. My God they are 65 each, that's 130, an outrageous amount of time for successful women.

by Anonymousreply 109July 3, 2014 3:05 AM

E-enough! Ain't n-nobody going to touch my 4 awards! I k-kept them in a bag in the closet, but made sure J-Jane saw them and knew who's the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 110July 3, 2014 3:13 AM

Wuuuuut? She didn't deserve the Oscar she received for 'Frances'? You must be kidding.

I have to rewatch 'Blue Sky'. I remember that when i first saw that, i didn't like it, but i was a kid back then. I don't remember anything about it, now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 20, 2015 12:01 PM

Jessica Lange didn't deserve any of her two oscars

Here:

Jessica Lange didn't deserve either of her two Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 112December 20, 2015 12:06 PM

Meryl is at the Connecticut estate drunk off her ass this morning bumping threads from 2014. Shame on you, hunty!

by Anonymousreply 113December 20, 2015 12:33 PM

Jessica Lange is a really hot cougar. Her sex appeal amuses me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 22, 2015 12:36 PM

She is playing Mary Tyrone on Broadway next year in "Long Day's Journey Into Night" She won an Olivier award for her performance of the same role in London. Be interesting to see how she does on the stage in a very difficult role

by Anonymousreply 115December 22, 2015 2:35 PM

I know that it has been said that she is very straight, but the vibes i receive from her, hell, are not that straight. She is bi, definitely. Her sexuality is very strong. Women with strong sexuality are getting wet by both men and women.

by Anonymousreply 116December 22, 2015 5:39 PM

R98......"I tried to push her out a winda once in Little Rock"

by Anonymousreply 117December 22, 2015 5:39 PM

Is she alive?

by Anonymousreply 118February 15, 2016 7:28 AM

Jessica Lange is still fuckable to some straight men. Streep, not no much.

by Anonymousreply 119February 15, 2016 8:05 AM

Is she an alcoholic?

by Anonymousreply 120February 15, 2016 8:12 AM

She was mesmerizing whoever on screen in American Horror Story

by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2016 12:59 PM

She was mesmerizing whoever on screen in American Horror Story

by Anonymousreply 122February 15, 2016 12:59 PM

Who cares about the Oscars? They're a farce. Her body of work will stand the test of time - Frances, Tootsie, Cape Fear, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Sweet Dreams, and Rob Roy.

by Anonymousreply 123February 15, 2016 1:48 PM

I wish she'd won for Sweet Dreams...she was excellent in that.

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2016 1:55 PM

Jessica Lange is one of our greatest actresses. She actually deserved a third Oscar as Best Actress for "Frances." She was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 125February 15, 2016 6:05 PM

Loved Jessica in the movie, "Men Don't Leave."

"Men Don't Leave" original trailer Jessica Lange Chris O'Donnell Joan Cusack:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2016 6:16 PM

I love it when she plays the jealous type. It fits her like a glove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 16, 2016 1:17 PM

There is some lesbianism in the air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 16, 2016 1:20 PM

She is amazing and her Julie character in Tootsie has never left my heart.

by Anonymousreply 129February 16, 2016 1:34 PM

In Hollywood, winning an Oscar has more to do with how 'in' you are more than how talented you are.

by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2016 3:48 PM

For that matter, Gwyneth Paltrow didn't deserve any of her one Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2016 3:58 PM

Jessica Lange is a hot cougar. I would like to be spanked by her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2016 4:17 PM

she deserved it for frances

teri g. deserved it for tootsie

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2016 5:01 PM

I love it when she sings. She overshadowed Lana Del Rey with her cover on 'Gods and Monsters'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2016 5:12 PM

I apologize in advance for bumping this old thread, but I had a query about Lange, and since IMDb closed its boards, I haven't found another similar forum elsewhere.

In an industry where you're only as good as your last hit, I don't understand why people say that KING KONG was a terrible start for her. The movie was one of the top 10 grossers of 1976. Surely, there have been worse movie debuts, especially in flops.

by Anonymousreply 135September 8, 2017 6:20 PM

I love Jessica Lange and feel she is actually under-awarded, if we're being fair.

Certainly, FRANCES deserved top honors (yes, I know TOOTSIE Supporting Actress was the consolation) and her TV work is unparalleled for a (once) major movie star.

That said, I just watched IN SECRET and found it incredibly dull. Everyone besides Lange was miscast, and even her casting was a stretch. It was so disappointing to see such an interesting novel/play made so boring and lifeless. Elizabeth Olsen was so blah and Oscar Isaac woefully out of his element. It just didn't work... at all.

I see there isn't even a DL thread on the movie (from what I can find) so I guess most feel the same way. A dud.

by Anonymousreply 136December 3, 2017 2:35 AM

There was really nobody else to award in 1994. Jodie Foster wasn't going to get a third one in six years, Sarandon and Ryder weren't that strong of performances. I guess they could have given it to Miranda Richardson but I think they thought she's never had a lead award let's giver her one now while we have the chance.

by Anonymousreply 137December 3, 2017 2:41 AM

R135, King Kong was indeed a box office hit, but the reviews were pretty dismal, especially in light of all the pre-release hype. Lange took the brunt of the critical drubbing (Pauline Kael's review not withstanding), and she was dismissed as just another pretty blonde model thinking she could act.

R136, "In Secret" (or "Thérèse Raquin") had many iterations before it finally went into production. Kate Winslet was once attached to play Thérèse, and Jessica Lange replaced Glenn Close, who dropped out due to other engagements. I think the miniscule budget doomed this production.

by Anonymousreply 138December 3, 2017 3:08 AM

Her last nomination was in 1994? My God, time flyes by.

She really is a hasbeen these days, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 139April 23, 2018 7:25 AM

Jennifer Aniston's career is because of luck.

Jessica Lange's is because of talent.

by Anonymousreply 140April 23, 2018 7:31 AM

R140 CORRECTION: Aniston's career is because of nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 141April 23, 2018 3:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!