Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Betty Broderick

She really did get a raw deal.

Dan (Fuckhead) was a bastard and Linda (The Cunt) was a slut.

by Anonymousreply 172December 16, 2020 2:31 AM

It did take two to tango. He should've made sure she got her fair share, he was making tons of money and could've continued his lavish lifestyle. Instead he thought it was cute to use his knowledge and power in the legal system to screw her over, and ended up dead 9 months after the divorce was finalized with her getting a little over 30 thousand.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2014 10:20 PM

the movie seemed more sympathetic to Dan and Linda. I think all three of them were probably behaving badly.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2015 3:33 AM

What more is there to say about Betty Broderick? She and her hubby Dan were both two awful people; both greedy, selfish and self-absorbed. Dan's bimbo mistress and second wife Linda was a gold-digging slut. All three came to bad ends, which is not surprising, considering the way they all behaved.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2015 3:39 AM

The only mistake she made was shooting them while they were sleeping. She should have made sure they knew who killed them.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2015 3:42 AM

This bitch again. When I saw this old thing resurrected I thought maybe she died in cat fight in jail.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2015 3:43 AM

I know I shouldn't laugh at R4 response but I did.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2015 3:43 AM

Actually Betty didn't kill them while they were sleeping. They were both awake and both knew it was Betty who killed them... Linda was shot first, then Dan as he was trying to reach for the telephone... Betty claims he actually said to her, "ok you got me" or something to that effect right after she shot him.

As for Betty, she made her own misery as well as everyone else's. It was the mid 80's, she was getting $13,000 A MONTH, yes A MONTH, plus she had an ocean-front home and at least two vehicles including a Jaguar. She also had her kids. But she didn't want the money, the stuff, or the kids. She wanted to be Mrs. Dan Broderick. That is ALL that she wanted, nothing else mattered. And that is evident by how she treated her children during the whole sordid ordeal.

If she would have just accepted that Dan had moved on she could have had a sweet life, Dan at first was very reasonable regarding the money and assets, she was well taken care of as were her children. He didn't start to get nasty until her crazy went completely out of control, he tried to control her (and the situation) by withholding money from her as that seemed to be his only option but it only made things worse. Really, what else could he have done? I don't think most people realize that nothing Dan had done would ever have appeased Betty, EXCEPT for leaving Linda and coming back to her. The nightmare would have continued until Betty was Mrs. Dan Broderick again. Because that was all that mattered to her. But that was never going to happen, so the tragic outcome really isn't that surprising, it was actually inevitable.

I really feel for the children, what a nightmare that had to be for them. I blame Betty for at least 75% of it, she was the instigator from the beginning. "Until the Twelfth of Never" by Bella Stumbo is a great book about the case.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2015 4:02 AM

Some of her kids are afraid of her and don't want her to ever get parole. She has told several of them they betrayed her and sided with the dad. I've seen one of the sons interviewed occasionally on tv. She'll never make parole and will die in prison.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2015 4:12 AM

Glad to see that you keeping up on current affairs, OP.

Now can we discuss the Manson Murders?

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2015 4:13 AM

People sympathize with Broderick because mean old Dan left her for a younger woman and "took" her kids away by obtaining legal custody of them. To these Broderick sympathizers Broderick was justified in killing these two.

What these Betty Boosters don't realize is that everyday fathers are faced with the same situation as Broderick was.

Unless their spouse agrees to a better deal these fathers are forced to move away from their children and only see them every other weekend and they get to watch their ex-wives new boyfriend or husband move into the house that the ex-husband paid for, etc. etc.

Why are people especially interested in and sympathetic to Betty Broderick?

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2015 5:08 AM

I'm sympathetic to her because she put Dan through school when she had 2 or 3 little kids and when they were finally making some good money he cheated on her.

He basically traded her in for a younger model after busting her hump selling Tupperware door to door out in the snow, dragging her 2 kids in a red wagon.

I would have popped a cap in his ass too.

I hope she gets paroled but I doubt it, she hasn't been able to show remorse. I like to watch her parole hearings on You Tube, she's still as crazy as a shit house rat.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2015 5:16 AM

Remember too she was representing herself in court. She claimed all the lawyers in her town were friends of her powerful husband's. Bullshit, I'm sure there were plenty of capable attorenys, even nes who were friend with her husband who wouldhave been happy to take some of his money off of him/

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2015 5:21 AM

She has a relationship with all of her kids a few years ago someone found one of the kids Facebook pages and there was a group photo of all the kids visiting Betty on Mother's Day. Rhett and lee want her paroled Dan jr. and Kim aren't there yet. The kids are united in hating dans family who treated them like shit after Dan and Linda died and they let it be known they still wanted a relationship with there mother.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2015 5:24 AM

That was funny when she represented herself and questioned Dan on the witness stand.

"Dan, did you smoke pot in law school?"

"Dan, how many times did you have sex with Linda with her legs all up in the air?"

I can't remember if it was in the book "Until The Twelfth of Never" or if it was "Forsaking All Others". They're both good reads.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2015 5:36 AM

R11, thank you so much - I had no idea those videos existed. Crazy as a shithouse rat is right. Fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2015 5:46 AM

With all due respect, r10, the situation you are describing is nothing like what Betty and Dan were going through. This is not just some woman who could not, or would not accept that her husband moved on (although, clearly she wouldn't and couldn't). By many accounts (even some of his friends said so) Dan was an absolute asshole, not only during their marriage, but in the process of leaving and divorcing here. Betty worked her ass off to put him through law school while raising their children pretty much alone while he was studying. When he began work as a lawyer, she helped him to build up his practice by entertaining clients and colleagues, and then when he became successful and began raking in the major cash, he left her. Sure, she WAS left with a decent settlement by 1980s standards, but compared to what he COULD have and SHOULD have paid her, it was insulting and pitiful. In many ways, this man behaved like a jerk. Did he deserve to be murdered? No, but it could possibly have been avoided if he and his new wife had dealt with Betty differently. They are not responsible for HER actions, but they are responsible for THEIRS and it was their own actions that made that outcome much more likely. It was unwise to antagonize what was CLEARLY a seriously mentally ill woman.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2015 5:47 AM

Women defend Betty's double homicide. They use the old, unwritten Texas defense - He Needed Killing. He may have been a dick, Linda may have been a cunt but the penalty for that isn't death.

There is no amount of "being an asshole" and no sub-standard spousal support award that can ever justify or excuse what Betty Broderick did. Beyond that, those who paint her as such a "wronged woman" fail to note what she did to her children - she was a selfish, vile cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2015 5:57 AM

I think it was after the last parole hearing where a member of the parole board told her that she is as angry and resentful as she was 25+ years ago when it all happened. It was as though it happened yesterday. Zero remorse. She's not getting out if parole is largely based on remorse.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2015 5:57 AM

The Lifetime movie about this case showcased what a good actress Meredith Baxter Birney really was. That movie was so good because of her.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2015 5:58 AM

I have a problem with this "she put him through law school" bullshit.

You make an investment. Sometimes it pays off and sometime it doesn't.

In Betty's case it didn't pay off.

Never gamble anything you can't afford to lose.

She did.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2015 6:00 AM

Betty is mentally ill but I really think Dan, then Dan and Linda, wanted her to end up in a looney bin. I read somewhere that they taunted her, Linda would send her magazine pages with dieting tips in the mail, for one example. I think Linda and Dan made a sick game of it and it gave them a growing, bizarre bond to share this common enemy that they taunted. Dan and Linda didn't deserve to die but they definitely had a hand in their own murder. Overall, they were all crazy with getting back at each other and it spiralled to a conclusion. Bunch of petty, stupid people. Everything I read of people that knew him said Dan was a narcissistic jerk, even before he hooked up with Linda.

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2015 6:11 AM

R21 - Betty picked Dan. Do you think he wasn't a narcissistic jerk when Betty married him?

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2015 6:16 AM

I agree with R19. This woman only gained more notoriety after those movies on Lifetime and it was because of Meredith Baxter's great job portraying her.

I think they only filmed the first movie and then it became so immediately successful they rushed to film the second.

Betty B was so deranged she actually drove her gigantic Chevy Suburban through the front door of her ex-husband's house - with her children inside of it - because he wouldn't talk to her.

Meredith Baxter did a great job acting just how crazy this woman is/was.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2015 6:51 AM

Didn't Linda help one of Dan and Betty's daughters get an abortion behind the parents' backs?

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2015 6:52 AM

I remember a television interview from the 90's with Betty Broderick and she had no love for Meredith Baxter Birney or her portrayal of her in the movie. She said something like "how could she play me, I've never even met her. She doesn't know me."

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2015 7:20 AM

R24, what if she did? It was good she had someone to go to if she didn't want to involve her parents? What the fuck has this site become? The Christian Ladies Tea Club?

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2015 7:45 AM

Controlling, Catholic parents tend to resent it when other people arrange abortions for their minor daughters w/o their knowledge. Another reason for Betty to hate Linda, justified or not.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2015 7:59 AM

Betty was mentally ill, and Dan & Linda knew how to press her buttons. Why did Dan decide to cut off her support?

There is another woman in the SFBA that I know that had all the spousal support cut from her, she took a shotgun and blew her brains out.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2015 8:19 AM

Anyone know more of the background as to why she lost custody of the children during the marriage breakdown?

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2015 8:29 AM

Dan tried to gaslight Betty in denying the affair. He wanted to trade her in like an old car and expected her to go sit quietly on the car-lot, while corralling all his law buddies (and Betty's erstwhile social friends) against her.

He wanted the children, the money, the house, and the lifestyle along with a newer model wife, one who simply, in Betty's eyes, stepped into HER home, HER marriage, HER sacrifices to help Dan rise in his profession, HER motherhood, HER LIFE---

Anyone who couldn't see where this was headed was a narcissist, and I do mean Dan.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2015 9:16 AM

I'm GLAD he's dead!

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2015 9:24 AM

I didn't care for the tone that this article presented the information but it is fairly comprehensive.

"Her first murder trial ended in a hung jury, who heard the legal and psychological hell Dan put Betty through, while trying to conceal his affair and come out the victor in the subsequent divorce. The jury foreman was quoted after as saying, "We just wonder why it took her so long."

Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2015 10:22 AM

What did Dan and Linda think was going to happen? If you poke a tiger with a stick, that tiger is going to attack. They should've known what they were getting into by provoking a woman who obviously had mental problems and violent tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2015 3:44 PM

[quote]and Linda (The Cunt) was a slut.

A slut? How horrible! Not one of gay men here is a slut!

Sluttiness justifies murder.

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2015 3:51 PM

Dan was so narcissistic he was not able to properly evaluate the threat. Those guys are always done in by their personality disorders. He should have treated her fairly, left her with a generous financial settlement, and then wholly and completely dissociated himself from her.

But he knew better...

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2015 3:57 PM

Dan Jr.

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2015 4:02 PM

Just in a general sense with this sort of situation, it must be tough for anyone getting divorced whose partner is a divorce lawyer, especially if they're not independently rich.

Either their partner as a divorce lawyer can represent themselves for free, or undoubtedly get a good rate from a friend. Also, as they have connections, it might be hard to get a good divorce lawyer of your own if they're friends or generally don't want to go up against a colleague in the same field. The deck really is stacked from the get go.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2015 4:03 PM

Betty is the queen of all fraus. They worship her.

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Dan's gaslighting and emotional abuse of Betty for the last three years of their marriage coupled with the legal abuse he subjected her to in the divorce CAUSED her "mental illness." He wasn't just a lawyer, he was also a physician. He deliberately provoked her mental decompensation.

Read the Stumbo book.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2015 4:19 PM

I think R36 was trying to link to this. It must Dan, Jr. He's handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2015 4:24 PM

From the reviews of the Stumbo book on Goodreads, the detail provided in some of the comments seems to suggest that regardless of the merits of his position, it's suggested he pushed too hard in using every advantage at his disposal in tightening the screws against his then wife. It's not unreasonable to think that if she had any underlying vulnerability to mental illness, this kind of pressure could make her snap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2015 4:41 PM

R37, Dan was not a divorce lawyer. Betty drive all her lawyers crazy. That's why she had such a hard time finding one. Lawyers talk and she's the client from hell you avoid at all costs - this type of client never, ever listens to you anyway.

[quote] Controlling, Catholic parents tend to resent it when other people arrange abortions for their minor daughters w/o their knowledge. Another reason for Betty to hate Linda, justified or not.

If true that information never came out by the time of the trials - I watched every bit of the second trial. If Linda had done that and if Betty had known about it, Betty would have made sure that was known. The defense used every nasty thing they could at trial - including rumors and innuendoes about Dan and/or Linda. The judge had to shut the trial down one day because the defense attorney kept bringing up some rumor with no evidence to back it up. It was a rather dramatic moment.

Dan did not want or ask for primary custody of their children as is typical with most divorcing men. Betty dumped them on his doorstep thinking she was punishing him and it would ruin his relationship with Linda. It backfired because the kids liked being there and Dan and Linda also found they liked having the kids living there. When she saw her ploy wasn't working she wanted them back. Well, the kids wanted to stay in what was a sane environment compared to Betty's battle camp and Betty went crazy - even more so. That's when Dan started fighting for custody. When Betty would bitch about Dan taking her kids she always conveniently omits why they ended up there in the first place.

Betty never gave two shits about those kids when it came right down to it. I think her mother act during her marriage and after was always all about her and playing the role of soccer mom and looking good. There were so many rather disturbed things she did that harmed those kids - permanently - and all in service to her wants that it was clear from the trial that they were better off with limited contact with her. She is just an awful human being and it takes guts for 2 of her children to be honest and admit they think she should stay in jail. They know her and they know she might harm them as payback. She has not changed one big and the parole board sees that.

It's hard to believe the trial was so long ago. It was fascinating and one of the first trials Court TV provided complete coverage of. When Court TV was really Court TV and had lots of really good reporters.

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2015 5:50 PM

[quote]What did Dan and Linda think was going to happen? If you poke a tiger with a stick, that tiger is going to attack. They should've known what they were getting into by provoking a woman who obviously had mental problems and violent tendencies.

I think Dan was trying to drive Betty to suicide.

by Anonymousreply 43April 26, 2015 5:57 PM

I don't think she should ever get parole. It seems like she would be capable of doing this again no matter what the situation was. Bad service at a restaurant? Bang. Someone hitting her bumper in a parking lot? Bang. I wouldn't want to be on her bad side.

by Anonymousreply 44April 26, 2015 6:44 PM

I kind of think if somebody convinced me that they truly loved me and cared about me and then they used my love for them to wipe me out on every level I would descend into madness as well.

Despite her craziness at least she is honest. The remorse bit is such bullshit.

I'm sure to her last moment on earth she'll be glad she blew his brains out. When you give your life for someone and then find out you're nothing more to them than used toilet paper you live with that sense of worthlessness for the rest of your life.

As ugly as this sounds I'm sure the brutal death of him and his lover has given her some sense of peace that she never would have found just attempting to pick up the pieces of her life while he would have spent the rest of his life living it up and holding her in contempt.

The ugly death of someone who has hurt you horribly can be very satisfying though most people would not admit it.

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2015 7:15 PM

[quote]I think Dan was trying to drive Betty to suicide.

That was the opinion of several of the Brodericks' friends who were close to the situation. Betty was already unhinged, and the friends suspected Dan was deliberately trying to get her to kill herself.

Amazingly, all four of the Broderick children have apparently turned out to be normal, well-adjusted adults with stable careers and home lives. That in itself is something of a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2015 7:23 PM

Sorry r42, for some reason I thought he was a divorce lawyer and yet I also knew he wanted to work in medical malpractice, so I don't know why I mixed them up. I guess as president of the bar association though, he had access to lots of advice from other lawyers. Also I would imagine no matter what you're like, finding a lawyer in the same city to go up against him would be more difficult than otherwise.

I was wondering how she lost custody given that more often it generally goes to the mother unless things are really bad, your explanation makes sense.

Mind you, given the various other sources about the whole sad situation, none of the principals come off looking like a saint. Still no justification for murder though of course. You'd think there was a chance it could have been a different outcome.

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2015 10:00 PM

Well, this was weird.

"Slain malpractice lawyer Daniel T. Broderick III disinherited his second-oldest daughter and left his entire estate to his other three children, according to the terms of his will on file in Family Court.

The will, originally dated Feb. 18, 1986, was amended on Aug. 9, 1988, to include this phrase: "I specifically make no provision in this will for my daughter, Lee Gordon Broderick."

Reached by telephone on Tuesday, Lee Broderick, 18, said, "He had told me before that he was going to write me out, but I didn't think he would. But he did."

Daniel Broderick, 44, and his second wife, Linda Kolkena Broderick, 28, were found dead in the master bedroom of their Hillcrest home Nov. 5. That same day, Elisabeth Broderick, Daniel's first wife, was booked on suspicion of murder. Elisabeth, 42, is scheduled to be arraigned today.

The original will, written after Daniel Broderick had filed for divorce from Elisabeth, was witnessed by Linda Kolkena. In it, he provided for Elisabeth to collect her interest in their community property "without probate administration or court order." The rest of his belongings, however, were to be divided among all of his and Elisabeth's children.

But two years later, after the divorce was official, he amended his will to exclude Lee Broderick, who now lives in Pacific Beach. The will contains no explanation for the change. The amendment, which listed Broderick as "unmarried," also omitted all reference to Elisabeth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2015 10:04 PM

Why is Betty a gay icon?

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2015 10:11 PM

Why did he leave out Lee, the daughter? Did she maintain a relationship with crazy Betty or not take to Linda? Her siblings should have made it right.

I don't know how anyone condones and/or justifies what Betty Broderick did. She murdered two human beings. They may have been shitty human beings but she had no right to take their lives no matter what they did to her (barring a physical attack).

Why didn't she move away? Get a job? Build a new life? People go through ugly, nasty, vindictive divorces every day - they don't kill anyone over it.

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2015 10:33 PM

I did some more digging and found this, though it's a comment on a blog so take with the usual grain of salt.

"Lee testified that her father had cut her out of his will because she had drug problems. This is a common reason for parents to cut their kids out of their estates. They are afraid that if their kid gets the money, they'll use it to indulge in drugs which will either kill them or land them in prison. Dan had mentioned his concern to friends on numerous occasions."

You'd think there had to be a better way, surely?

by Anonymousreply 51April 26, 2015 10:38 PM

Thanks to this thread I am now watching the Lifetime movie. Thank God it's on YT.

by Anonymousreply 52April 26, 2015 10:41 PM

The more I dig, the more the whole situation seems to have been a real mess. The whole article at the link doesn't really paint a very nice picture of any of the major people involved. This part seems horribly unnecessary on the part of the husband.

"The long drawn-out Broderick divorce was finalized in 1989, four years after Dan filed for it. By many accounts, Dan dragged the divorce out for four years on purpose. In California, there was a little-known legal concept called "Epstein credits" which worked to thwart any financial settlement entitled to Betty. By the time the divorce trial came to fruition, because of Epstein credits, Betty's share of community property had been substantially reduced. Epstein credits are a provision under California divorce law which says that the supporting spouse (in this case Dan) may charge the dependent spouse (Betty) for one-half of all community debts accumulated – not from the date of divorce, but from the date of separation. If there is a substantial amount of time (in the interim), a dependent spouse may actually accumulate enough Epstein credits to effectively cancel out any share of the community property which might have been forthcoming had the divorce been finalized immediately after separation.

In the case of the Brodericks, legal maneuverings and delays postponed the divorce trial incident after incident. At the divorce trial, Betty represented herself without an attorney. In what many believed was outrageously unfair and what only solidified Dan's clout in the local legal arena, the Broderick divorce trial was completely sealed off from the public at Dan's request. The courtroom door windows were covered up with paper. At the end of the eight day trial, Judge William Howatt accepted all of Dan's proposed numbers and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epsteins and cash advances, all accrued between the time Dan moved out and the date the divorce was final on January 30, 1989.

In the end, Dan Broderick, multi-millionaire and the father of Betty's four children, was ordered to pay his wife of 20 years less than $30,000 in cash. In addition, Dan was re-awarded custody of the children. Betty was completely devastated and felt that her life was over."

Then there was this from a different article, if accurate is pretty bad:

"The April 1994 issue of California Lawyer stated as follows: "Six days before Dan left Betty, he wired $175,000 to his brother in Colorado. Three weeks before that, he withdrew $80,000 from a business account. The financial figures he submitted to the court failed to mention these two transactions, as well as a $450,000 personal loan to his brother after the couple separated. Dan Broderick's financial accounts did show a number of disastrous investments, especially the ones he made with his brother....Betty paid for half of these losses out of her settlement," while he got properties with low or negative values."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 26, 2015 10:52 PM

OK, maybe she got shafted, but ya still can't go around killing people. Even assholes. If you could, traffic would be much lighter.

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2015 10:55 PM

Marriage isn't usually looked upon as "an investment" or a "gamble," r20.

And "#13,000 A MONTH!" when your old man is not ONLY the cheater but ALSO making MILLIONS annually? GTHO. Like YOU would just lie back and settle.

by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2015 10:56 PM

r33, "provoking a woman who obviously had mental problems and violent tendencies"? Betty was Mrs. Socialite Mom, showing ZERO "mental problems and violent tendencies" UNTIL Dan the Narcissist had HIS Mid-Life Crisis, buying the new sports car and succumbing to the younger blonde. Who had the "mental problems" here?

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2015 11:01 PM

You have to wonder (especially given the other financial things he was up to) r55 if the amount he was paying a month was a court order and the least he could get away with based on his income.

by Anonymousreply 57April 26, 2015 11:01 PM

Wow, gay men supporting a woman? A crazy woman to boot.

by Anonymousreply 58April 26, 2015 11:17 PM

We love our wronged women. If Judy's a 10, Betty's a 1.

by Anonymousreply 59April 26, 2015 11:18 PM

Her sentence ends in 2021. Does this mean that, even if she doesn't get paroled between now and then (she's already been denied in 2010 and 2011), she'll be released no matter what in six years?

by Anonymousreply 60April 26, 2015 11:18 PM

Hopefully!!!!! I hope she will be the Grand Marshall of the NY Gay Pride a parade that year with Meredith Baxter.

by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2015 11:24 PM

Let's face it she was finished and no matter what she could do for the rest of her life it would have been cold comfort considering all the money he was making due to her sacrificing her life for his career.

She was pretty much ruined no matter what and really had nothing to lose. Just the knowledge that he had a lavish life and young lover would have poisoned every moment of her life. She would have been in prison anyway.

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2015 11:50 PM

Betty's sentence ends in 2021. She will be 74. I believe the son who wants her paroled is going to take care of her once she's out.

Betty's been in prison since 1989. Can you imagine what a shock it's going to be to see the world in 2021 with everything that's changed?

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2015 11:59 PM

"Didn't Linda help one of Dan and Betty's daughters get an abortion behind the parents' backs?'

Kim went to Linda when she was pregnant and wanted an abortion. She went to Linda because Linda was closer to her own age and would take her to a good doctor. All the doctors Kim knew "hated Dad", and no wonder. Dan Broderick was quite the slick medical malpractice attorney. Anyway, she went to Linda for help, and this enraged Betty, who told everybody who would listen that her first-born was taken to get an abortion by Linda "The Cunt" Kolkena. Kim went back and forth about Linda. She's say she didn't like her and then she'd say she did. Kim pretty much said what she thought her listeners would like to hear. She would enrage Betty with tales of how Dan was depriving her (Kim liked expensive clothes and ran up huge phone bills), and Betty would run out and buy Kim costly clothes and pay her bills. When Betty was on trial for murder she testified that she never really made THAT big a deal about Dan being cheap and cruel...but she did.

Kim and Danny Jr. seem to be clones of their father. Both materialistic and self-absorbed, they appear to have the same values and moral character of their late, not so lamented father.

by Anonymousreply 64April 27, 2015 1:35 AM

If you read the strumbo book r42 you would know that Dan and Linda didn't want the kids either and he had little to do with them. Betty and Dan were a lot alike. Linda was fired as a stewardess after being caught fucking on the job. Dans brother had to give back money that was intended for the kids but that he had stolen. Rhett and lee were treated like crap by the Broderick's and has alluded that he was abused by them. He also has dans old nose.

by Anonymousreply 65April 27, 2015 3:03 AM

[quote]Betty's been in prison since 1989. Can you imagine what a shock it's going to be to see the world in 2021 with everything that's changed?

Do you think she's going to enough attention to notice?

by Anonymousreply 66April 27, 2015 3:07 AM

Fuck the entitled cunt. I can't believe anyone would defend a selfish bitch who was getting over ten grand a month CASH in the fucking 80's which was a fuck ton of money back then and certainly not chump change by today's standards. She couldn't deal with the fact that he fell out of love with her and into another relationship. Welcome to the real world honey. Shithappens, people change. You were compensated but couldn't deal with aging. She's a total narcissistic cunt who deserves to die in prison.

by Anonymousreply 67April 27, 2015 3:15 AM

[quote]Betty's been in prison since 1989. Can you imagine what a shock it's going to be to see the world in 2021 with everything that's changed?

They have TV in prison and books/magazines and she gets visits from her kids. I'm sure she's up to date on the latest technology, fashion, etc.

It's not like someone being imprisoned in 1900 for 30 years, with virtually no contact from the outside world and no stimulation, only to be released in 1930 when the world went from horse-and-buggies, floor-length skirts and corsets, no movies, no flying machines, no radio, etc. to cars everywhere, flappers with skirts above the knee, sound movies, airplanes/helicopters, radio, etc. I'm sure those people had a culture shock.

by Anonymousreply 68April 27, 2015 3:18 AM

Betty Broderick's life after prison will be a lucrative one. 2021 is not that far off and there will be no shortage of media standing in line to get an interview. I bet she knows it too.

If reality television is still thriving, there will be a reality series following her. This is a woman who hired a PR firm after she was arrested for murder. Hijinks will ensue at the first sit down family dinner, her interaction with daughter-in-laws, and telling her kids how to raise their kids. Ratings gold.

by Anonymousreply 69April 27, 2015 3:33 AM

[quote]She couldn't deal with the fact that he fell out of love with her and into another relationship. Welcome to the real world honey. Shithappens, people change. You were compensated but couldn't deal with aging. She's a total narcissistic cunt who deserves to die in prison.

Dan couldn't deal with the fact that he had turned forty and was a middle-aged father of four with a wife who looked her age. Welcome to adulthood, Dan Broderick. Age happens and decent men honor their avowed duties. He could have lived a long prosperous life but he couldn't deal with maturity. He was a total narcissistic prick who deserved to be shot in the back by the life partner he stabbed in the back.

by Anonymousreply 70April 27, 2015 4:09 AM

r70=Betty

by Anonymousreply 71April 27, 2015 4:10 AM

Betty will be queening it all over the place when she gets out. She will be gleeful and act like she "won."

A friend of Dan's reported that Dan regretted his marriage almost as soon as the wedding was over. He supposedly told him that he had made a terrible mistake in the days after the wedding. I think Betty has always been the Betty people saw during the divorce and the Betty they see now.

by Anonymousreply 72April 27, 2015 4:19 AM

[quote]Rhett and lee were treated like crap by the Broderick's and has alluded that he was abused by them. He also has dans old nose.

I remember when Rhett appeared on Oprah and he also mentioned the issues he had with Larry and other relatives. IIRC, didn't Larry have to pay back money to Rhett and Danny Jr.

It has been years since I read the Bella Stumbo book on the case. Stumbo pointed out that Dan's relatives were shady and in the end they didn't think much of Linda. Larry and other Broderick relatives only covered the embalming and funeral costs for Dan and the funeral home was told to bill the Kolkenas for Linda. There was also drama regarding Linda's share of life insurance that the Kolkenas had to fight for. Linda's friends also developed a grudge with the Brodericks and Dan's friends and colleagues after the murders. Many of Dan's colleagues and friends only focused on Dan when it came to certain memorial events.

by Anonymousreply 73April 27, 2015 4:20 AM

It really is going to be a media frenzy when Betty finally gets out, and I would bet money a reality show really is going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 74April 27, 2015 4:21 AM

nah r74. Most people outside DL have long forgotten the whole case.

and Betty will be like 75.

by Anonymousreply 75April 27, 2015 4:23 AM

Is Betty really going to get out in 2021?

If she does get out, Linda's family will be all over the media.

by Anonymousreply 76April 27, 2015 4:24 AM

Does Betty have access to DataLounge in prison?

by Anonymousreply 77April 27, 2015 4:59 AM

Betty is a Scorpio.

by Anonymousreply 78April 27, 2015 5:01 AM

Has Betty found lesbian love in prison?

by Anonymousreply 79April 27, 2015 5:03 AM

[quote]Does Betty have access to DataLounge in prison?

No. R71 was just kidding when he said R70 was Betty.

by Anonymousreply 80April 27, 2015 5:25 AM

Betty Buckley should play her in a movie about her post-prison years.

by Anonymousreply 81April 27, 2015 5:40 AM

R75 you're full of shit. With the explosion of true life crime shows, the mainstream news a step or two above the enquirer, and the fact that the story still resonates with people to this day, Betty getting out will still be big news.

R73, yes Larry Broderick had to pay Rhett and Danny back the money had had pilfered from them. I think they were 16 or 13 at the time.

R76 it will be dans family not Linda's that will be all over the media. There have been rumors for years that Linda isn't buried next to Dan and that her family had her body moved and buried in a private cemetery.

Dans father died within the last few years and Dan wasn't mentioned in his obituary.

by Anonymousreply 82April 27, 2015 5:54 AM

Dans dad died in 2010 and the obit on find a grave does mention Dan but others I had seen didn't. R81 looking at post murder and recent photos, this is a role made for lens Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 83April 27, 2015 6:03 AM

Betty Broderick is the only killer I have ever had sympathy for.

by Anonymousreply 84April 27, 2015 6:05 AM

R84 why?

by Anonymousreply 85April 27, 2015 6:17 AM

r82 is overly involved with this. Probably a frau.

by Anonymousreply 86April 27, 2015 6:28 AM

What about the hit man Dan hired to take Betty out? They weren't allowed to bring that up during the second trial.

Isn't it safe to say that all parties involved were evil, just Betty got the last laugh?

by Anonymousreply 87April 27, 2015 6:35 AM

[quote]just Betty got the last laugh?

She spent her life in prison and deeply harmed her children. There is really nothing for her to laugh at.

by Anonymousreply 88April 27, 2015 6:39 AM

R86/88 not a Frau but it's too bad your fraucunt mom couldn't get the coat hanger in far enough when she was trying to abort you.

by Anonymousreply 89April 27, 2015 6:50 AM

I see why you identify with Betty r89. You sound almost as deranged as she is.

by Anonymousreply 90April 27, 2015 6:56 AM

True, R90, I was just thinking that.

Who are these people who believe that middle-aged men should get the death penalty for going through a mid-life crisis?

Death penalty for divorcing your spouse?

Death penalty for marrying a younger woman?

Death penalty for winning in court?

Death penalty for being mean?

Death penalty for being a shitty person?

And NO death penalty for a double homicide.

Well all righty then.

by Anonymousreply 91April 27, 2015 7:21 AM

Don't bother. Remember where you're posting R91.

by Anonymousreply 92April 27, 2015 7:43 AM

It was a calculated decision not to go for the death penalty because they didn't think they'd win. As it was, the charge the prosecution did go with at the first trial still ended up with a 10-2 hung jury for conviction.

by Anonymousreply 93April 27, 2015 8:15 AM

She was living a dream life, being supported in luxury by a gorgeous husband.

So she let herself go and became a fugly old bag.

What did she expect?

by Anonymousreply 94April 27, 2015 8:17 AM

'Fuck the entitled cunt. I can't believe anyone would defend a selfish bitch who was getting over ten grand a month CASH in the fucking 80's which was a fuck ton of money back then and certainly not chump change by today's standards.'

But how much was he making every month? She was getting practically a fraction. Anybody would have been in a murderous rage if this had happened to them and it would have deeply embittered them for the rest of their lives.

She was going down and she'd be damned if he wasn't going down with her. I don't see how this is difficult to understand on this site of all places.

And I'm sure with all her heart she still loves the man she killed.

by Anonymousreply 95April 27, 2015 10:01 AM

[quote]She was going down and she'd be damned if he wasn't going down with her.

She wasn't going down. She had an easy life with everything paid for, nice kids, friends, and was even dating another man. She could have had a very nice life. I believe she is mentally ill. NPD or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 96April 27, 2015 10:17 AM

r67, divorce settlements are based on a fraction of the total income and contributions to the marriage over time not absolute amounts. That's why for example Mel Gibson gave $425 million to his ex wife, because she'd been there from the very beginning back when he was getting $15,000 for Mad Max (two years prior he made $400 for his first film). I wouldn't be surprised she original made more than him and covered at least some expenses while he was trying to get his acting career started.

Back to this case, if you look at all the financial maneuvers Dan was engaging in prior to his death from selling their house without her consent, to shifting money to his brother prior to the divorce and the business with the Epstein credits under California divorce law to reduce the amount he had to pay her in a lump sum (only about $30,000 after 20 years of marriage), that plus he was earning millions a year gives you the impression he was trying to get away with paying as little as possible. $10,000 - $20,000 a month for about 2-3 years + $30,000 lump sum sounds like a small fraction of what someone earning $2-3 million a year presumably for at least the next 20 years (and at least partially on the foundation she helped build by financing him when he was studying).

by Anonymousreply 97April 27, 2015 10:18 AM

Not that Betty should not have been imprisoned or that Dan (or Linda) deserved the death penalty, r91, so much as it is easier for some of us than for others to understand the visceral rage that welled up inside Betty. The expression about "Hell hath no fury" hasn't lasted because it is merely a witticism.

Had she gone to that bedroom with no gun, Betty would have thrown a clock, a lamp, her fists, something, anything to try to rid herself of her unrelieved pain and anger. Did DL not have a thread about throwing glass to get rid of such emotion? It CONSUMES a person. But she meant to kill, to obliterate the cause of her anguish.

Would Betty have gone quietly into that good night if Dan had treated her honestly, humanely, and generously though divorcing her? I don't think so. But minus the humiliations, the lies, the nickel and diming of her, she also might not have become murderous.

by Anonymousreply 98April 27, 2015 10:37 AM

I feel sorry for her in that she's clearly mentally ill and not only didn't have a support system, but had to deal with Dan's and Linda's deliberate exacerbating of her condition and kids who were either too young or too selfish to care.

I don't feel sorry for Dan or Linda in the least, because their greed and stupidity and selfishness hurt a lot of people.

But Betty's issues also manifested in greed and selfishness, and she murdered them. That's inexcusable.

I wish Betty had been stable enough to get a good lawyer (you KNOW some local lawyers hated Dan) and go after Dan financially and regarding his career. Then maybe she could milk the media attention into a lucrative career for herself, leaving Dan and Linda alive while she shoved their noses in her celebrity every day.

Sadly, she murdered them, and I don't think it's particularly ethical for her to get a reality career because she's a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 99April 27, 2015 10:43 AM

Another way of looking it at, if she'd been really A grade calculating as opposed to what actually happened and what she was actually like; she could have said and done nothing and pretend to be ignorant of the affair when she learned of it and then murder him later when she could have best escaped the scene (As it is, she left quite an evidence trail beforehand with the recorded messages and crashing her car into his house just for starters).

a) given he wasn't popular with the local medical establishment (not surprisingly) and there would have been a potentially long list of suspects and b) no-one could prove she knew about it (given that all the people who knew about the affair never saw fit to tell her), there's a chance she could have gotten away with it if she escaped the initial scene. Then collected all the assets and presumably life insurance. Obviously though she wasn't that person though.

by Anonymousreply 100April 27, 2015 11:04 AM

Thank you, OJ at r100.

by Anonymousreply 101April 27, 2015 11:41 AM

The trick is not to be even suspected in the first place unlike OJ. You'd think a better prosecution should have convicted him with what they had to work with.

by Anonymousreply 102April 27, 2015 11:52 AM

Except, r102, you posit that Betty had the capability of cold-bloodedness. Nay; this crime was a white-hot eruption.

As I noted: Betty is a Scorpio. Born November 7; killer on November 5.

by Anonymousreply 103April 27, 2015 12:00 PM

I wasn't positing that r103. I agree with what you're saying that it was a lot more spontaneous and unplanned in real life.

Just outlining that if she had been the most extreme version of someone who planned a murder from the outset of first learning of an affair, that's one way it could have played out. Since she obviously never was that, it would never have happened that way.

by Anonymousreply 104April 27, 2015 12:07 PM

[quote]What about the hit man Dan hired to take Betty out?

Did he really? More about this please!

by Anonymousreply 105April 27, 2015 12:24 PM

"Earley said Tuesday that a key aspect of his appeal will be his allegation that Daniel Broderick once solicited a hit man to kill his estranged wife. Judge Whelan rejected appeals to enter evidence on those allegations.

"In 1984 and 1985, he talked to someone in his office about what it would cost to have her killed," Earley said, "what guarantees he would have that it would not get back to him and how it would be done. He told a number of people it wouldn't be over until one of them was gone."

The judge said that, since the defendant was unaware of the alleged murder-for-hire scheme until recently, it could not have been relevant to her state of mind at the time of the slayings."

and

"Earley said such evidence includes the testimony of an alleged hit man, who, in a widely publicized incident during the second trial, was denied the opportunity of taking the stand by San Diego County Superior Court Judge Thomas J. Whelan.

The alleged hit man was reportedly willing to say that he had spoken with Daniel Broderick about having Betty Broderick killed. Earley contends that Whelan also acted inappropriately in barring, from the second trial, testimony about Betty Broderick having been physically abused."

It's always possible the guy claiming he'd been approached made it up though, people do confess to things that never actually happened - conversely if it did happen, it can be impossible to verify.

by Anonymousreply 106April 27, 2015 12:40 PM

"Betty Broderick's Son Calls Her Dangerous At Parole Hearing"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 27, 2015 1:57 PM

Heh. I think that's the movie I'm now watching, r104.

"Dial 'M' for Murder."

......aft gang a-gley.

by Anonymousreply 108April 27, 2015 2:17 PM

R90 you probably identify with Gacy and Jerry Sandusky. be gone pedobear

by Anonymousreply 109April 27, 2015 3:24 PM

[quote]Who are these people who believe that middle-aged men should get the death penalty for going through a mid-life crisis?

I am on Team Betty all the way and even though I have said previously that Dan deserved what he got, on reflection what I really meant was that he was the principal creator of the situation that led to his own murder. His mid-life crisis included deliberately and maliciously destroying the wife he abandoned. She paid him back in kind.

She was wrong to kill him of course. But he still "had it coming," and he could have prevented it if he had any honor or decency. He was a vile and greedy and amoral as she was. But Betty deserves life in prison with no parole.

by Anonymousreply 110April 27, 2015 5:57 PM

Emotionally and financially destroying the person who sacrificed everything in their life to support you in your studies, your career and social life is a mid life crisis?

I'm not understanding that at all.

by Anonymousreply 111April 27, 2015 6:36 PM

I never quite understood why Betty wanted to be married to a guy who didn't want her? The whole thing was nuts-to-the-max.

by Anonymousreply 112April 27, 2015 7:00 PM

Well, R112, he wanted her when he pursued her as a young man. She didn't choose him, he chose her. He promised her that if she married him, he'd make millions of dollars one day and they would live happily ever after.

He wanted her when she worked to put him through medical school. He wanted her when she worked to put him through law school too, even though pursuing the second degree meant more hard work for her and the postponement of the million-dollar lifestyle he had promised her when proposing marriage.

He wanted her when he knocked her up ten times, resulting in four children, one dead infant and five miscarriages.

He wanted her right up until the millions started rolling in. Then he suddenly decided he wanted a younger version of the wife who had supported him through all the lean years. He couldn't stop getting older. But he could feel younger if he kicked out the woman who loved him and married a younger lookalike who had to break off an existing engagement to a younger man with less money in order to marry Dan and get her mitts on his new millions.

by Anonymousreply 113April 27, 2015 7:10 PM

The thing about Linda is that she really wasn't that hot, and looked a bit mentally challenged. She was thin and blonde, but that's all she really had going for her. When Betty was young she was a genuinely attractive woman, but Linda? Meh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 27, 2015 7:16 PM

"So she let herself go and became a fugly old bag."

Betty became a fat slob AFTER Dan left her. When they were still married, she was thin and stylish; after her left her for Linda she completely let herself go and became a hag. Very depressed or disturbed people frequently neglect their appearance, and she was no exception. She took to comfort eating in order to ease her stress and anxiety and became fat for the first time in her life. It wasn't Betty's looks that caused the marriage rift; she and Dan were just not compatible people. They never should have gotten married. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time; she was pretty, he was cute, they were both Catholic and had the same values (they both wanted a traditional big family and they both REALLY wanted to be rich). But they NEVER really got along.

Fate is really amazing. Here's Dan Broderick, in his thirties, unhappy in his marriage but very successful in his career. And lo and behold this 21 year old receptionist comes to work in the same office building he's working in. She's hot to trot and the EXACT physical type that Dan Broderick went for: tall, blonde, toothy and skinny. It's amazing that exactly what Dan Broderick wanted seemingly just dropped into his lap, both figuratively and literally. And unlike Betty, Linda makes it clear that Dan is the boss; whatever HE wants is all that's important. So she became his adoring, goony girlfriend. She got a high-paying job that she was completely unqualified for and after being his very public girlfriend for SEVEN long years she landed a rich attorney husband.

In some pictures Linda Kolkena looks pretty but in other she looks very trashy. There are pictures of her and Dan at some soiree where she's wearing a long sleeved shiny dress; in those pictures she's nothing much to look at, what with her skinny face and huge teeth and ratty hair. In another picture she has a very prominent gap in her teeth on one side. Betty, at her best, was much better looking. I saw a picture of a young Betty Broderick where she was a dead ringer for Naomi Watts!

by Anonymousreply 115April 28, 2015 1:48 AM

[quote]Betty became a fat slob AFTER Dan left her. When they were still married, she was thin and stylish;

not true she was gaining weight and acting erratic during the marriage.

by Anonymousreply 116April 28, 2015 1:54 AM

I think she was clearly suffering from some sort of mental disorder starting from way back before the shooting.

by Anonymousreply 117April 28, 2015 1:57 AM

This tragedy illustrates the perils that came from modern laws and attitudes regarding divorce. No-fault divorce laws cleared away a lot of legal tomfoolery that had made a mockery of the system back in the old days when divorce was rare and often costly to obtain. Think how silly it was for the women in The Women to have to park their asses at a dude ranch in Nevada for a few weeks to prove to the court that their husbands had abandoned their spousal duties.

The downside of the newer and simpler approach to divorce was that it gave assholes like Dan Broderick an easy out from his marriage contract for purely personal reasons and at great financial advantage to himself. Having sacrificed herself body and soul to Dan while he worked his way up the ladder, Betty clear saw half of everything he made as rightfully hers. All American women were vigorously encouraged to view their husbands' fortunes as belonging equally to them in the year that Dan married Betty and vowed to give her precisely that.

by Anonymousreply 118April 28, 2015 2:35 AM

[quote]I wish Betty had been stable enough to get a good lawyer (you KNOW some local lawyers hated Dan) and go after Dan financially and regarding his career. Then maybe she could milk the media attention into a lucrative career for herself, leaving Dan and Linda alive while she shoved their noses in her celebrity every day.

At one point, Betty did hire a lawyer from L.A., but IIRC, her antics drove that lawyer to drop her as a client.

by Anonymousreply 119April 28, 2015 3:17 AM

It's kind of interesting all of the posts explaining and attempting to rationalize Betty's behavior are exactly the reason why she didn't get parole.

Until Betty admits there is no excuse for her behavior and that regardless of what Dan did or didn't do it doesn't justify her actions Betty will stay in jail.

by Anonymousreply 120April 28, 2015 3:28 AM

R116, one word. Menopause. Women, normally thin, tend to pack on some pounds during the process. Dan picked this time to dump her. There were many layers to this.

by Anonymousreply 121April 28, 2015 3:31 AM

no r121. She gained the weight in her 30s.

She was only 42 when she murdered him.

by Anonymousreply 122April 28, 2015 3:36 AM

[quote]Dan (Fuckhead) was a bastard and Linda (The Cunt) was a slut.

Did she really call them that, or was that the OP's own descriptions?

by Anonymousreply 123April 28, 2015 3:36 AM

Betty started gaining weight when she realized Dan was screwing Linda. Then during the divorce Betty really got fat. She was thin and put together for most of her marriage.

by Anonymousreply 124April 28, 2015 4:30 AM

"not true she was gaining weight and acting erratic during the marriage."

Of course she'd gained some weight during the course of their marriage. She had been pregnant NINE times. All of the deliveries were by Cesarean section, preceded by terrible nausea and discomfort. Before she finally got a tubal ligation, Betty had borne four healthy babies, had two miscarriages, two abortions and a baby that died four days after he was born. Anybody woman would have gained weight after all that. But she wasn't "fat." And her "erratic" behavior was the result of being in a marriage that was falling apart. No doubt Betty was not easy to live with. But neither was Dan. They were both two very fucked up people. But before the shit hit the fan, Betty Broderick was universally known as an attractive, well-dressed woman, an exemplary mother and a marvelous hostess who organized wonderful parties, especially children's parties. People who knew her commented on how intelligent and energetic and funny and fun to be around she was. And then she degenerated into a kind of lumbering, slovenly, shrieking, obsessive monster that nobody wanted anything to do with. Being the Wife of Dan Broderick was her identity in life. When she lost that, she turned into a monster.

by Anonymousreply 125April 29, 2015 12:11 AM

All three sound like horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 126April 29, 2015 12:45 AM

"Dan wanted me dead for years. I'm in prison, but I'm alive."

by Anonymousreply 127April 29, 2015 2:34 AM

It's just weird that Dan and Linda acted the way they did. It's like poking a mentally defective kid with a stick.

Betty was [italic][bold]obviously[/italic][/bold] mentally and emotionally damaged. Why antagonize someone like that? Just for sport? It's stupid.

I agree he was no prize. I mean - you can't help but admire his brains, ambition and drive. So, with all of that going for him why was he such a little shit?

He and Linda should have been the sane and adult ones to extricate themselves from the situation.

And it's only fair that she was generously compensated, she absolutely contributed to his success. There is no denying that and he should have been reasonable about it.

I firmly believe that no matter what Betty was going to hang onto this and not let it go for the rest of her life (her hatred and resentment of them.) But if Dan and Linda had been decent they could have at least gotten out alive.

by Anonymousreply 128April 29, 2015 3:01 AM

I think if he had given her the nice fat financial settlement she thought she was entitled to that might have calmed her down. But get this: Betty, the perfect mother, wanted Dan and Linda to keep the kids! She wanted a big settlement and she also wanted freedom; freedom from all of the responsibilities that were heaped on her while Dan was getting his law and medical degrees. She wanted to have her cake, and eat it too. She wanted visitation rights but wanted Dan and Linda to have sole custody of the kids. Of course Dan would not give an inch when it came to a big financial settlement (Betty thought she was entitled to much more than what he was giving her). And he was limiting the time she was able to spend with her youngest children, the boys because she was acting so crazy. Betty, Dan and Linda all would not budge when it came to what they wanted. Yes, they were all terrible people and they all got their just rewards.

by Anonymousreply 129April 29, 2015 3:40 AM

R129 - "just rewards"?

Thousands if not millions of people have navigated complicated and bitter divorces without "just rewards" being people murdered.

She murdered two people and has shown no remorse. She has not taken responsibility for her actions.

I don't want her living next to me.

Do you?

by Anonymousreply 130April 29, 2015 4:00 AM

I can understand how she felt but gurl...

by Anonymousreply 131April 29, 2015 4:22 AM

"Thousands if not millions of people have navigated complicated and bitter divorces without "just rewards" being people murdered."

This was a very unusual case. It was VERY complicated. It wasn't just a case of "a woman scorned." It was a lot more involved than that.

One of the amazing things about this case (besides the unbelieveable Betty Broderick) was the behavior of Dan and Linda Broderick. Here they are, dealing with this obviously enraged, mentally sick woman, and they do everything they can think of to antagonize her and rub salt in her wounds. They send her legal papers notarized by Linda, Dan's mistress at the time. Linda put her voice on Dan's answering machine before they were married; in one of her few court victories a judge commanded Dan to "get the girlfriend off the machine." Dan proposed to Linda in highly public fashion, getting down on one knee in a bar crowded with his drunken cronies. They did all this, and more, and they never let up. I guess they thought that eventually Betty would commit suicide. But they were the ones who ended up dead. Didn't they stop to think that she might take out her frustration on THEM? They were playing with fire. And boy, did they get burned.

Wanting to confront Dan about his sale of a house that was jointly owned by both of them, Betty came to his house and sat on the front steps waiting for him. This is what happened next according to Bella Stumbo in "The Twelfth of Never":

"Dan eyed her carefully. She was, he could see, in no mood for calm discussion. And he was in no mood to conciliate. He was sick of her temper fits. So he did what he always did. He ordered her off his property. She was in violation of court orders. And he slammed the door in her face. Dan Broderick's coldness sometimes verged on the breathtaking. Years later, even Betty's defense attorney, would privately marvel, in all sincerity, at the way Dan had treated his ex-wife. "He was either extremely stupid or cruel, or he had a real death wish."

Of course, Betty's response to his brush-off was the ram his front door with her car.

by Anonymousreply 132April 30, 2015 1:22 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with the above posters. If this case interests you, read Bella Stumbo's book. You can buy it for a kindle.

Excellent recount of the whole mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 30, 2015 1:37 AM

She bloated.

by Anonymousreply 134April 30, 2015 2:03 AM

She lacked subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 135April 30, 2015 2:05 AM

R132 = fat frau whose husband left her for a younger woman.

This divorce was no worse or more acrimonious than thousands of others every year. THOUSANDS EVERY YEAR. They don't end up in double-homicides.

He was a greedy pig. We don't kill people for that. He had a girlfriend. We don't kill people for that. He put the girlfriend's voice on his answering machine. We don't kill people for that. He got publicly engaged. We don't kill people for that. He remarried, fought for custody, screwed Betty over financially. We don't kill people for ANY of that.

He finds deranged, dangerous Betty staking out his house. He orders her off his property. Who gives a fuck how "cold" he was when he did it? What did the crazy cunt expect? She was not welcome there and she knew it. In your sick mind it's "OF COURSE she ran her car through his front door" after that, as if this was perfectly understandable and reasonable.

It wasn't. Are you a fucking loon?

There is NO justification for Betty's murders. None.

Seriously - get your act together. Your frau shit won't fly here.

by Anonymousreply 136April 30, 2015 2:42 AM

R136 must be the incredibly bitchy, incredibly cunty prosecuting attorney Kerry "The church lady" Wells, who would bray over and over "is that any reason to KILL them?!" when confronted over and over with the dirty deeds of Dan and Linda Broderick. According to Bella Stumbo "it became her standard line, her answer to everything."

Kiss my ass, Kerry. YOU are the frau and a particularly cunty one at that. Seriously- get YOUR act together. You sound like you need a valium.

by Anonymousreply 137April 30, 2015 3:31 AM

Riiiiight Loonie Cray-cray, I'm secretly the DA who prosecuted guilty-homicidal-freak, Betty Broderick.

I wish I had been the DA - she sounds eminently sensible. The jury certainly thought so.

She had to keep repeating the truth in court. People go through ugly, bitter divorces every day. There was absolutely no justification for murdering two people. It wasn't Dan and Linda's fault that Betty was a violent, blood-thirsty, murderous freak. It doesn't matter what they did - Betty had no excuse.

Betty and her sycophants (or psychophants) tried to make it seem as if murdering Dan and Linda Broderick was perfectly understandable and okay - even NOBLE. Stupid, lazy fraus who believe that men owe them a living still think what Betty did was perfectly acceptable. It wasn't. It was cold-blooded murder. Twice.

Fuck Betty, that crazy, selfish, toxic, homicidal cunt. I'm glad she's been rotting in prison and I hope she dies in there before she gets out.

by Anonymousreply 138April 30, 2015 4:04 AM

Didn't she have a few tantrums in prison too?

by Anonymousreply 139April 30, 2015 4:06 AM

yes r139.

they used to be online but I can't find them.

She refused to get out of bed and they had to pull her out.

by Anonymousreply 140April 30, 2015 4:13 AM

She did, R139, brilliantly re-created by DL fave Meredith Baxter (no Birney, please).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 30, 2015 4:15 AM

Forever young...and ETERNALLY FAT.

by Anonymousreply 142April 30, 2015 4:16 AM

Wow! Betty has a Facebook page. I'm not sure who's running it though.

by Anonymousreply 143April 30, 2015 4:17 AM

Betty's temper tantrum is at about 30:00

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 30, 2015 8:37 AM

"Fuck Betty, that crazy, selfish, toxic, homicidal cunt. I'm glad she's been rotting in prison and I hope she dies in there before she gets out."

You sound positively unhinged. You need psychiatric help. I hope you get it soon.

by Anonymousreply 145April 30, 2015 3:19 PM

[quote]It's just weird that Dan and Linda acted the way they did. It's like poking a mentally defective kid with a stick.

It reminds me of the way Elmer Fishpaw and Sondra Sullivan harassed purr Francine in [italic]Polyester.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 30, 2015 3:29 PM

Betty was a model in her younger years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 30, 2015 5:44 PM

A hand model?

by Anonymousreply 148April 30, 2015 5:48 PM

I admire how the ladies in this thread are imitating Betty.

Nevermind the two dead bodies!

Nevermind the years of outrageous, intolerable behavior!

Nevermind the all-consuming narcissism at the expense of her children!

Nevermind reality. Just keep saying that everything is Dan and Linda's fault!

by Anonymousreply 149April 30, 2015 6:11 PM

Was Betty the one with the hot husband? I remember one of the true crime books where a woman married her husband had the obligatory photo section with the two of them on the beach and he was an in-shpae guy in a Speedo.

by Anonymousreply 150April 30, 2015 6:25 PM

Well I do think he went a little too far with making her smell Linda's pussy on his fingers...

by Anonymousreply 151April 30, 2015 6:43 PM

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 152April 30, 2015 7:40 PM

R150 --

Don't remember seeing any pictures like that of Dan (not even a shirtless one)

Dan was the complete transformation .... he was a bit of a nerdy schlub while Betty was putting him through school.

As he got older, he became a successful lawyer (with a medical degree too) and became much hotter as he aged.

Maybe I'm wrong ...what do you think ? Nerdy hot ??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 30, 2015 7:50 PM

They said on American Justice that Dan got a nose job when he started making more money.

by Anonymousreply 154April 30, 2015 8:14 PM

Betty looked uncannily like Meredith Baxter here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155April 30, 2015 8:33 PM

Dan looked better when he was older and that nose job helped.

by Anonymousreply 156May 4, 2015 3:22 AM

If the marriage had been a good one, which means that the sex was often and fantastic and Betty kept herself looking perfect and hot, then Dan's eye would not have 'strayed'.

by Anonymousreply 157May 4, 2015 8:16 AM

Neither Dan nor Betty were what you might call sexual beings. They both grew up in strait-laced Catholic circumstances. Betty was repressed and Dan was a wham, bam, thank you ma'am type. Even with Linda he was not a red hot stud; according to Linda's sister Linda would complain that she didn't get enough sex out of him. But no doubt he had a more active sex life with Linda than with Betty; Linda was ready, willing and able ALL the time.

by Anonymousreply 158May 4, 2015 5:13 PM

[quote] Linda was ready, willing and able ALL the time.

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 159May 4, 2015 5:58 PM

"You say that as if it were a bad thing."

It's a bad thing if the person you're fucking is your employer who's married with four kids and a wife who is becoming loonier with each passing day. Then it's a REALLY bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 160May 4, 2015 6:03 PM

Do any of you Betty fans write prison letters to Betty?

by Anonymousreply 161May 4, 2015 6:09 PM

Betty threads are too frau-ish. How is anyone defending her?

And nobody write that lunatic. She is still a vengeful, dangerous person and if she ever gets out she'll be emboldened to think she can seek revenge if someone displeases her. I do believe some of her children have cause to fear her.

by Anonymousreply 162May 5, 2015 12:42 PM

Bump. This is the first thread that came up in an online search,

So I bought this DVD, since the movie is seldom shown these days. I am a Betty/Meredith "fan." I popped it in today, to have on in the background as I worked.

Here's the cool thing - I just realized you can watch with commentary from Meredith and the director, so I'm doing that now. I don't know what year they did this. Anyhow, it's a trip to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 163May 18, 2019 12:08 AM

To clarify, I refer to "A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story." And I am a "fan" of Betty in the sense that I'm fascinated by her case, and her twisted personality. But I absolutely do not condone what she did in any way.

by Anonymousreply 164May 18, 2019 12:12 AM

Bump. I’ve been rereading the Bella Stumbo book. Was poking around and found this old photo of Betty, where she really does look quite lovely. There are so few shots of when she was supposedly such a slim looker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 5, 2020 2:57 AM

Someone’s bs-ing on Betty’s Wikipedia page. Claims Betty grew up in Bronxville, NY, which is untrue- She grew up in Eastchester, the town next door. Bronxville was then and still mostly is now rich and WASPy. Eastchester would be where you’d find an Irish -Italian family like Betty Bisceglia’s. I see you, Bets!

by Anonymousreply 166September 5, 2020 10:51 PM

After seeing Broderick's name come up here time and time again, I finally sat down and watched both TV movies from '92 over the weekend (on YouTube, linked below).

What an acting job from Meredith Baxter! The voice messages still crack me up - in particular "You with the slut now, Dan?" and "Are you making it... with the dog meat... on the stairs now, Dan?". As did "I WILL NOT be ignored", which just *had* to be a spoof of [italic]Fatal Attraction[/italic]. Wonder if Dan and Linda ever had a chance to watch that movie before Betty blew them away?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 16, 2020 1:40 AM

Both movies are on Amazon Prime US right now

by Anonymousreply 168December 16, 2020 1:42 AM

Betty, Dan, and the cunt would all be Trump supporters

by Anonymousreply 169December 16, 2020 1:50 AM

The cunt would be ex-Mrs Broderick #2 of at least 4

by Anonymousreply 170December 16, 2020 1:51 AM

If Dan and Linda were still alive, they would be long divorced. Dan would currently be on wife #4, who would be younger than his daughters by a decade and a half.

by Anonymousreply 171December 16, 2020 2:11 AM

Betty's a National Treasure. She deserves a TV show broadcasting from Chino.

by Anonymousreply 172December 16, 2020 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!