Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Teach me about Miyoshi Umeki!!!

Was she respected? How did she get an Oscar for Sayonara? Did she even say anything in that movie?

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2022 5:08 AM

Is this the Miyoshi Umeki troll? I haven't seen you here for a long time.

It helped that Red Buttons made everyone look charming compared to him.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2014 5:14 AM

no. I'm new to Miyoshi Umeki.

I am the Shelly Hack troll who used to be the Brenda Vaccaro troll.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2014 5:16 AM

I first saw her in Flower Drum Song. My grandmother took me to see it during it's first run in theaters and we both loved it so much we went back two more times. I fell in love with James Shigeta too. I also loved her in The Courtship of Eddie's Father. I loved the way she called him "Mister Eddie's Father". I didn't find out until much later that both she and Shigeta were of Japanese descent. She was a Naturalized citizen. He was third generation American.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2014 5:20 AM

She was a hot jazz singer with a sultry voice before she started doing the cute and submissive war bride routine.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2014 5:50 AM

I'm a fucking STAR and have a fucking Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2014 10:16 AM

She and Pat Suzuki were the first ever color photographs on the cover of Time magazine, December 22, 1958. Before that, they only artists' sketches or black and white photos. I can't remember the last time Time put a Broadway show on its cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2014 9:40 PM

Sayonara is a really good film. I think if either Red Buttons or Miyoshi Umeki were not in the film they wouldn't of won. But voters really loved their ill fated interracial romance. I think Carolyn Jones or Elsa Lanchester (globe winner) were the front runners for supporting actress but voters probably thought it wouldn't of made sense to give it to Red and not Miyoshi. Not a lot of acting jobs for Asian women (and even now) in Hollywood so she eventually did tv with Courtship Of Eddies Father.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2014 9:55 PM

[quote]they wouldn't of won

[quote]it wouldn't of made sense

DOUBLE oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2014 9:58 PM

Miyoshi Umeki was actually a nightclub singer in Tokyo and on the West Coast before she did "Sayonara"--she performed under the name Nancy Umeki.

Although she's a Datalounge joke, and though she probably did not deserve the Oscar her year (it should have gone to Carolyn Jones), she is truly wonderful in "Flower Drum Song." She has a lovely voice, and she is deeply charming in both "A Hundred Million Miracles" and "I Am Going to Like It Here," and her voice blends beautifully with James Shigeta's in "You Are Beautiful" (my favorite song in the show). She's the best thing in the movie, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2014 10:08 PM

R9 sorry for typos my bad

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2014 10:08 PM

"I can't remember the last time Time put a Broadway show on its cover."

That's a great trivia question - anybody know? Last I remember was Lloyd Webber with the mask when PHANTOM was opening in '88, and that's the most recent one included in the Broadway category of the "Topics" section of Time's website. Is it possible they've never again had a Broadway show cover since 1988?

Last one I remember for Newsweek was Daphne Rubin-Vega and Adam Pascal for RENT in '96. I guess you could argue whether their putting Mitt Romney's head on the BOOK OF MORMON logo body in 2011 counted as having a Broadway show on the cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2014 10:18 PM

First of all I love " The Courtship of Eddie's Father". She was great as Mrs. Livingston. I also love her voice in " Flower Drum Song" . But film was dull. " Flower Drum Song" has a beautiful score. I think " Love Look Away" is a masterpiece. A better show on record than to watch. I think it is rather racist in many ways. I don't think Oscar and Dick were racists. But lots of stereotypes trying hard to please us.

I have never watched "Sayonara". Is it a good film? But I agree that Jones was excellent. So was Hope Lange . Though I never liked her.

And I love hot Asian men: James Shigeta, Bruce Lee, Russell Wong. All started with " Flower Drum Song"

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2014 10:53 PM

[quote] I think " Love Look Away" is a masterpiece

And I sang for Reiko Sato in that one!

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2014 11:08 PM

She was heartbreaking in Sayonara. And she dies in the film! That's always a sure Oscar-getter.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2014 12:22 AM

OP, one must always precede her name with "the delicate, the flower-like".

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2014 12:58 AM

[quote]OP, one must always precede her name with "the delicate, the flower-like".

Fuckin' A!!!

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2014 1:10 AM

She can eat shit!

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2014 1:51 AM

PEARL CREAM??? LOL, more like Jack Soo's dickcheese!

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2014 1:57 AM

What was Carolyn Jones nominated for that year? A Hole in the Head? I love that film.

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2014 1:59 AM

Carolyn Jones was nominated for "Party Girl," and had been expected to win.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2014 2:01 AM

"Fuckin' A!!!"

If I recall, the Miyoshi Umeki troll used to refer to her as "the delicate, some say the flower-like, Mioyshi Umeki" or "the delicate, nay, the flower-like Mioyshi Umeki".

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2014 2:05 AM

So then who is Nancy Kwan?

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2014 2:08 AM

R23, if I recall, she was a briefly famous figure skater of recognized, but narrow, talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2014 2:15 AM

All I know is Murphy Brown once said "Oh don't worry about it. No one watches our show. Besides channel 11 was running the Flower Drum Song last night. PEOPLE LOVE NANCY KWAN!!!"

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2014 2:20 AM

Jones was nominated for Bachelor Party I have never seen it (I failed to record when on TCM)but I heard her role is very small...

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2014 4:33 AM

Miyoshi was a delicate flower, but I had PIZZAZZ!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2014 4:44 AM

"Miyoshi was a delicate flower, but I had PIZZAZZ!"

Huckada bejeepers, R27!

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2014 5:16 AM

If I recall, the Miyoshi Umeki Troll stuck to an an elaborately constructed backstory where M.U. was good friends with Pat Suzuki, but hated Nancy Kwan with a venomous passion beyond the ken of mortal men. Plus, she had an unrequited affection for "Dick Rodgers," who slept with leading women of many races (Jan Clayton, Shirley Jones, Diahann Carroll), but for some reason not her.

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2014 5:38 AM

"beyond the ken of mortal men"

R29, are you the ghost of J.R.R. Tolkien?

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2014 5:50 AM

Shirley Jones insists she never slept with Rodgers. Where did you hear that Jan Clauton did, r29?

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2014 2:20 AM

[quote]Miyoshi was a delicate flower, but I had PIZZAZZ!

With that stumpy little body, you needed SOMETHING to compensate.

"I enjoy being a gargoyle!" was more like it,

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2014 2:24 AM

She is the delicate, nay, the flower-like Mioyshi Umeki"

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2014 1:13 AM

She won "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" and became a regular on his morning TV/radio show "Arthur Godfrey Time."

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2014 2:13 AM

The Kitty Carlisle of Hokkaido prefecture.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2014 2:29 AM

My mom just had me watch Sayonara with her and I came here immediately afterwards. I have the same question as the OP!

I kept waiting for "the scene", that one Oscar scene that would change everything and it NEVER happened. I guess in those days, the story earned the Oscar more so than the acting.

by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2015 12:39 AM

How dare you criticize Miyoshi Umeki, R35? If you don't take it back, you're in for a tongue lashing from her, and not the good kind.

by Anonymousreply 36June 28, 2015 2:29 AM

Sayanora is a great movie. Brando is incredibly sexy in it.

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2015 4:24 AM

[quote]And I love hot Asian men: James Shigeta, Bruce Lee, Russell Wong. All started with " Flower Drum Song"

Bruce Lee and Russell Wong were not in FLOWER DRUM SONG. Wong was born 2 years after the movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 38June 28, 2015 4:39 AM

R38, read more carefully. It reads "started" not "starred".

by Anonymousreply 39June 28, 2015 4:45 AM

I liked the movie, wanted a more dramatic ending (but still happy.)

I have never cared for Brando. His voice in everything annoys the fuck out of me. That being said, he had major game in that movie and I was in awe over how he worked every scene he was in.

by Anonymousreply 40June 28, 2015 7:09 AM

Miyoshi? Well, her father said that children keep growing, rivers keep flowing, too.

by Anonymousreply 41June 28, 2015 12:39 PM

I was black!

by Anonymousreply 42June 28, 2015 1:26 PM

I'll have to check out Sayonara again. As a kid, watching it on TV, I found it to be a crashing bore....except for Miyoshi and Red's scenes which are adorable and ultimately heartbreaking. Brando's love interest was just dreary. I also seem to have a memory of Ricardo Montalban playing a star of Kabuki theater and looking mighty fine in it, Japanese eye makeup and all.

Some of the movie's acclaim was no doubt definitely due to American guilt over Hiroshima.

by Anonymousreply 43June 28, 2015 1:52 PM

My family and I always giggled over Miyoshi's name.

Meki (sp?) is a Yiddush euphemism for penis.

by Anonymousreply 44June 28, 2015 1:54 PM

I was a kid in the 80s so I knew Ricardo Montalban from Fantasy Island and Star Trek II. I was shocked when I saw that he once looked like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2015 4:51 PM

You know nothing, OP, but we will teach you ALL!

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2015 1:41 AM

I have relatives in Licking, Missouri, where she lived at the end of her life to be with her only son, Michael. He's a cop there, and is considered a very good, decent person. She would be seen once in a while - it's just a small town in the Ozarks - although she was in declining health with cancer. People said she always was very nice and down to earth, although she had class and moved "like a dancer."

I don't know how her son ended up there, of all places, but the locale is scenic and rural. But modest. Where she lived was hardly fancy.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2015 1:54 AM

Movie versions of R&H musicals are not great, in general.

I think FDS is one of the better ones!

Also lol, R142.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2017 7:59 PM

As I recall, Miss Umeki performed well in cage matches, or was that Bai Ling?

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2017 8:28 PM

[bold]SHUT YOUR FUCKING FAT WHORE MOUTH, ANNA MAY![/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2017 8:33 PM

I'm glad to hear that MU's son is a good and decent fellow, but I wish he could have kept his mother off the internet. The mouth on her would make a truck driver blush.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2017 8:33 PM

Oops, I just farted, bitches! LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2017 8:34 PM

Excuse my beauty and talent, cunts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2017 8:38 PM

Nancy Kwan replaced someone in The World of Suzy Wong; it might have been Umeki, I don't remember. I just know it was a big break for her. Leslie Odom Jr. has a beautiful recording of Love Look Away, the best version I ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2017 8:42 PM

I'm not sure why Pat Suzuki did not do the movie version. She was a dynamite singer and performer and I don't think Nancy Kwan was that big of a star that they needed her name.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2017 8:57 PM

Pat Suzuki (still kicking at 87) was an underrated singer of standards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2017 9:02 PM

I thought she did an absolutely great A Sunday Kind of Love r56.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2017 9:35 PM

Miyoshi has herself an Oscar. Something Glenn Close will never get her hands on.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2021 5:56 PM

Why is no one talking about me? I almost committed suicide for a part!

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2021 6:03 PM

With DL favorite, Gisele MacKenzie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 9:01 PM

Well this is quite the bump. I believe Nuyen was to be in the film of Wong which she originated on stage but people claim she had quite the attitude. Certainly one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen. There is a relatively recent interview with her on youtube. Very old woman now of course but she seems nice enough. Didn't know a word of English when she did SP. A native french speaker(grew up in Marseille and though fluent now in English her accent is still strong) she could only communicate with R and H through Logan who knew French. It was as if they simply saw her and hired her. Adored John Kerr which I was surprised to learn knew no french. I would have thought he was the type have studied it in school.

by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2021 9:19 PM

"Was she respected?"

She's a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 62May 6, 2021 12:40 AM

I just watched Flower Drum Song and quit 2/3 of the way through. It has quite a sub par score.

The liveliest number is a horde of Asians jumping around to a number called “Chop Suey”?? Dear lord…

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2022 5:09 AM

Dong, dong!

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2022 5:26 AM

Pat Suzuki’s ex-husband (& JFK photographer) Mark Shaw ruined Dr. Max Jacobson (Dr. Feelgood) for the rest of us by dropping dead after getting his shot. He was the only person who died from it and Dr. Jacobson did not last much longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2022 5:32 AM

Her son in Missouri died in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2022 6:23 AM

In the icebox you'll find in a can

Some leftovers of moo goo gai pan...

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2022 3:47 AM

She hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2022 3:54 AM

Why don’t more drag queens impersonate the dear, flower-like Miyoshi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2022 5:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!