Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me about Nathan Lane

Has anyone here slept with him?

Is he a nice guy?

What's his next show?

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2020 7:04 PM

I know someone who gave him a blow-job and he never called back. This someone is smart, talented, and very cute. It happened maybe 20 years ago when he was in his mid-twenties. Nathan Lane was a boorish drunk at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2014 5:01 PM

Alcoholic. Bitter, bitter man in real life.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2014 5:01 PM

That is too vague,r2. Why is he bitter? He has had phenomenal success on Broadway. With his looks, it was obvious that he was never going to be a movie star, but he did make an impression. He played my favorite character in the movie Frankie and Johnny with Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino. The character was an out gay man but he didn't play him as a caricature. The character was quiet, sympathetic and kind. Does the alcoholism and bitterness come from a place of self-loathing? Is he sex negative? Or does he just have an acerbic sense of humor? I love the entire cast of The Good Wife and it struck me that Alan Cumming is one happy fella. He seems to really like his life. The complete opposite of everything we hear about Nathan Lane. And Alan is hardly the stereotypical gorgeous gay stud anymore than Nathan is. So, with all his success, why is Nathan Lane so miserable? I really want to know.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2014 6:28 PM

Damaged, broken man. Real name is Joe Lane. Not a pleasant person in real life. Has more baggage than a carousel at Kennedy Airport.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2014 6:34 PM

Y"all better leave my beloved son alone, I'm not as nice as he is, ok, bitches

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2014 7:35 PM

I think people expect him to be funny, but he's an actor- not a comic. On talk shows he's dull and seems rehearsed.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2014 7:38 PM

There was an article about him several years ago where he talked about his dysfunctional family and his struggle with alcoholism. Being closeted obviously didn't help.

He's a very angry man who has been known to lash out at people indiscriminately. He's nastily funny as long as you're not the object of his venom.

It's possible that he's mellowed a wee bit over the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2014 7:40 PM

Can you imagine? Getting a blowjob and never calling back!? Happens every night of the week. Men are so piggish. (Thanks god.)

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2014 7:43 PM

Most of the names booked on talk shows sound dull and rehearsed. They approve of what will be discussed before hand. None of those interviews are off the cuff. Unless you happen to be Robin Williams. No one can control him when he gets going. Which is why he is so entertaining. Yes, I said entertaining. Sue me:)

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2014 7:44 PM

R3 what R4 said. I have a feeling he had a horrible childhood too. One of his parents ( mother?) was a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2014 7:46 PM

Victoria Clark has gone on record to say how mean Nathan was to her when she filled in for Faith Prince in GUYS AND DOLLS.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2014 7:47 PM

Hear he is as nasty a piece of work as the come.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2014 7:52 PM

Yikes. Are you supposed to call back?

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2014 7:54 PM

LOL, r13.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2014 7:55 PM

R13, I've tried calling back ,but the number is ALWAYS disconnected, what's a guy to do.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2014 8:00 PM

This NY Times Magazine article may be the one that R7 is referring to - entitled, "This is it - as happy as I get, baby." Pretty much says it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2014 8:10 PM

Does he suffer from the Irish Curse (and I don't mean alcoholism)?

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2014 8:24 PM

Bingo,R17

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2014 8:26 PM

I'm not sure whether it's the Irish curse or the fat boys' curse. Could be either. Or both. (Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the tiny parts?)

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2014 8:28 PM

I really can't think anything bad about Nathan Lane after Birdcage and Mousehunt. Am I shallow?

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2014 8:35 PM

Irish? He's not Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2014 8:43 PM

Lane on talk shows is usually loud and often very funny but all of it sounds canned and rehearsed. He's always "ON", but there is nothing spontaneous about him.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2014 8:52 PM

OP, did he ask you out?

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2014 11:53 PM

I slept with, but I ain't tellin'.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2014 1:06 AM

Miss Albert? His career is disa-Pirin.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2014 1:21 AM

[quote]Hear he is as nasty a piece of work as the come.

So his come is nasty, too?

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2014 1:28 AM

Last night I saw Nathan's face in the audience on a preview for a Don Rickles roast.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2014 2:38 PM

Thanks for the link to the NYT's interview, r16. Having to be the care-taker of a parent with Bi-polar disease AND a parent struggling with alcoholism explains a lot. If you are a kid dealing with a mentally ill family member there is so much shame, embarrassment, guilt, fear, sense of abandonment and conflicted feelings about the person that it is impossible to come away unscathed from that experience. The people who actually know him seem to have a more positive opinion of him. There seems to be more than a little Starina in Nathan. I don't think that's a bad thing. People who are inherently sensitive, empathetic and kind ofter become disillusioned and bitter. I admire his work. And his work ethic. I don't blame him for being skittish around fans. It's just sad that someone who makes so many people happy is reportedly so unhappy. Or maybe people are just projecting. Or maybe I am:)

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2014 7:04 PM

I'm from North Jersey, R21. I get that a lot, too.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2014 7:38 PM

Nice guy it seems

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2014 12:21 AM

He's the type that'll fuck a person in the ass and won't have the goddamned common courtesy to give him a reach-around.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2014 12:43 AM

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2014 12:56 AM

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2014 12:58 AM

Wow. I made it. I have a troll-dar stalker! Thanks, r35/r36! I'm a Staaah!.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2014 5:25 AM

He makes me laugh, I'm sure all our love, concentrated and focused upon his heart will heal his life!

Remind me not to blow him.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2014 5:50 AM

A friend went to Catholic grammar school with him in Jersey City. Joe's mother was an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2014 4:22 PM

He tossed my Broadway Blondies in the trash can right in front of me.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2014 6:28 PM

I'm in love with Nathan. I can't help it.

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2014 5:37 AM

He's not a particularly nice person. Great actor, but a depressed human being.

Two of my friends have slept with him.

One said it was the best sex he'd ever had, the other said the worst. That incredible contrast is consistent with his reported mood swings.

An amazing talent with some demons.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2014 7:35 AM

Some demons? [italic][bold]Some?[/italic][/bold]

And Hitler was a guy with a few quirks.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2014 7:50 AM

[quote]One said it was the best sex he'd ever had,

Gaaaaah!

I wouldn't want to see the others your friend has had sex with.

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2014 4:18 PM

R40,

He might be difficult, and depressed, but do you really want to compare him to Hitler? Hitler?

R41,

I can't speak to the sexual taste level of the two friends who enjoyed Nathan's Lane. Or didn't.

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2014 4:29 PM

Nathan Lane will perform "The Nance" LIVE tomorrow at 9 PM EST across PBS stations.

by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2014 12:29 AM

It's not "LIVE," but was recorded right after the show closed.

by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2014 12:32 AM

"The Nance" will be on at 9 PM on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2014 12:14 AM

Just saw him in The Front Page. He was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2016 2:02 AM

I caught The Nance.

His dramatic moments were downright cringeworthy.

And the one playing his young love interest?

Well, I the words of the character Joe/Nathan played in that short-lived sitcom about the opera singer...

by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2016 2:28 AM

[quote]He has had phenomenal success on Broadway.

LOL...That's like winning a red ribbon in the fifth grade sack race

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2016 2:29 AM

[quote]Nathan Lane was a boorish drunk at the time.

Compared to now when he's an OLD boorish drunk

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2016 2:30 AM

He slapped Mickey Rooney but don't worry, the old Mickster kicked his flaming ass, till he cried like the sissy boy he is

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2016 2:31 AM

Never liked him. Hate most Broadway actors. He overacts, playing to the cheap seats in the back. Look at him in the Birdcage. He made Robin Williams look subtle by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2016 2:43 AM

Talks about when Oprah tried to out him on her show.

Lane opted to avoid the topic of his sexuality while promoting the film. But just as his publicists predicted, the subject came up, most notably on an episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Says Lane: "We had to discuss this beforehand and I said, 'I'm not ready to discuss whether I'm gay or not with Oprah. I can barely deal with meeting Oprah, let alone telling her I'm gay.'"

"She says to me something like, 'Oh, you're so good at that girly stuff.' Or whatever it was. And Robin sensed she might be going toward the sexuality question and he immediately swoops in and diverts the interview to protect me," he continues.

In fact, on the show, Winfrey asks of Lane point blank, "Were you afraid of being typecast as 'are you, are you not?' 'Is he, isn't he...?'" Williams then breaks in to make light of Winfrey's playful intonation while asking the uncomfortable question. When he was later asked by Us magazine, 'Are you gay?' he had a response ready: "I said, 'I'm 40, single and I work a lot in the musical theater. You do the math. What do you need — flash cards?' I thought I had come out, but apparently I didn't. That wasn't enough," Lane says.

Lane finally came out in no uncertain terms in a 1999 cover profile in The Advocate. "And then people were just annoyed that I came out. 'Yeah, we already knew! Fuck you.' So there was no winning there," he says. "It was all so intimidating. Honestly, it was terrifying."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2020 5:50 PM

Robin Williams was a saint.

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2020 5:55 PM

Didn't an orchestra player introduce himself to Nathan at some event for their show with a "Nice to meet you," to which Nathan replied sarcastically "Oh, we're meeting now?"

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2020 5:57 PM

A broken man with only two levels. Sullen and withdrawn and insecure, or manic and in your face. Neither mode allows him to interact with people on any sort of human level.

If you are not will to be a fan and syncophant, best to avoid him altogether.

by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2020 5:59 PM

How would you know r55?

by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2020 6:03 PM

How? I worked a lot in the business offices of Broadway. Managing Nathan's behavior is always something that gets attention. He doesn't always play nice with people. Sometimes he doesn't always play nice with the press. He creates problems.

Of course, he is not alone in this sort of thing. But this is the Nathan Lane thread, not the Betty Buckley thread, so my comments were about Lane.

by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2020 6:06 PM

I worked with Nathan on a Broadway show. I found him to be very serious about his work, friendly and approachable offstage, and he has a wicked sense of humor. I've never seen him drunk, so maybe when he was drinking he was a different man. But the guy I worked with was nice, and easy to get along with. The cast seemed to feel the same way.

It's my experience that people tend to trash stars as a means of "proving" how well they know them. I can think of several who have nasty diva reputations that are just not deserved, based on my experiences with them. I know of a few shitheads out there in show biz -They are in every profession. But my opinions are based on first-hand experiences rather than gossip sites and rumors. No, I'm not going to name names -It would just open up a can of worms with at the various sycophants and fans who are outraged by my opinions. And that's all they all, folks. Opinions.

by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2020 6:22 PM

[Quote] But my opinions are based on first-hand experiences rather than gossip sites and rumors. No, I'm not going to name names -It would just open up a can of worms with at the various sycophants and fans who are outraged by my opinions. And that's all they all, folks. Opinions.

And you're the only one with first hand experiences, of course.

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2020 6:28 PM

"Nice" is not an adjective that is used to describe him.

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]R1 I know someone who gave him a blow-job and he never called back.

Did he call the cops??

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2020 6:56 PM

I was backstage one night when he started throwing metal chairs. The stage manager had told him he was being unprofessional for cynically addressing the audience, which wasn’t reacting the way he wanted them to.

The room emptied quickly.

I think he stopped drinking shortly after that.

by Anonymousreply 62February 8, 2020 7:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!