Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Leonard Frey

Was he openly gay? How many of you had him (hopefully in his pre-AIDS days)? Wasn't his oscar nomination for Fiddler on the Roof a little undeserved? Who would be his equivalent today?

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2018 1:06 AM

Geez, I didn't know he died of the big A.

Wiki says he was "openly gay".

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2014 11:52 PM

Who is today's "32-year-old pock-marked Jew fairy," OP?

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2014 12:11 AM

I knew him casually in the months before he died. He and a mutual friend and I went to the Met to see Joan Sutherland's farewell performance (in Puritani). I remember the tears streaming down his face at her curtain call. Shortly after I ran into him at Three Lives Bookstore. He invited me to his nearby apartment just to talk. He seemed very lonely and I vividly recall a photo of Julie Harris (a good friend of his) with Ethel Waters and Carson McCullers. He was a sweet, smart man. I wish I had met him earlier in our lives.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2014 2:34 AM

This is Data Lounge, r4! Thanks for this.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2014 4:49 AM

From an elderstraight: He was a fine actor. As for the AA nomination, just like hets get nominated if they portray a convincing gay character, ditto for gays portraying a straight person.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2014 5:15 AM

Oh wow. When I was about 5 y o my parents took me to NYC theatre district. LF bump into dad. He was very nice. I recall them talking for a while

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2014 5:36 AM

[quote]Who is today's "32-year-old pock-marked Jew fairy," OP?

James Franco, only the pock marks aren't on his face.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2014 5:46 AM

He was SO offing great on the Ted Baxter Broadcasting School episode of MTM. He was the only student.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2014 5:49 AM

Liked him in the TV series "Best of the West." LOVED him in "Boys in the Band."

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2014 9:49 AM

R9, thanks fir reminding me of this episode! It's on YouTube below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2014 11:12 AM

He reprised his Boys in the Band role in The Magic Christian, complete with copious amounts of pot.

"It'll tighten your wig."

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2014 11:25 AM

His face was not pock-marked. That was a makeup effect in The Boys in the Band as the character of Harold is described thus.

I met him briefly backstage during the Boston tryout of the musical Lolita My Love in which he played Clare Quilty (the Peter Sellers character). He was fantastic in that dreadful show (as was Dorothy Loudon in the Shelley Winters role) and very modestly and sweetly accepted my compliments.

A lovely man and a true loss to the theater world.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2014 2:03 PM

Thanks for sharing your memory of him R4.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2014 3:05 AM

Did anyone ever meet the other actors from "The Boys in the Band?"

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2014 4:47 PM

I met Larry Luckinbill a few times.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2014 8:40 PM

Best of the West was a hoot. Glad someone else remembers it. Frey was very funny in it as an effete Eastern type villain in the Wild West.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2014 9:08 PM

I remember seeing him on the uptown Third Ave bus on my way home from work one evening many years ago. He got off at 88th St and I thought, "He must have never gotten any decent work again if he lives in my neighborhood." Because my neighborhood, which has since been gentrified beyond anyone's wildest imagination, was considered really bad back then.

When I got home, it turned out it was Oscar night and then it made sense. Frey was attending the Oscar night party at Elaine's.

One thing about Elaine's -- it was always low key. She was a fat, nasty, prejudiced bitch who sold horrible food but you never saw paparazzi or blue police barriers or limos at her place. People just took the bus or a cab. In all the years I lived nearby, I never saw a famous person go in or out the door of the place. (And I know what famous authors look like.)

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2014 9:33 PM

[quote]after I ran into him at Three Lives Bookstore

OMG..I remember that place. I knew the girls who ran it.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2014 9:48 PM

[quote]One thing about Elaine's -- it was always low key. She was a fat, nasty, prejudiced bitch who sold horrible food but you never saw paparazzi or blue police barriers or limos at her place. People just took the bus or a cab. In all the years I lived nearby, I never saw a famous person go in or out the door of the place. (And I know what famous authors look like.)

If some famous old bore came in on his own she'd ask if he could join your table.

That's all I remember about Elaine's.

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2014 9:51 PM

I agree with OP about his oscar nomination which was a total joke. If anyone from that movie deserved a supporting actor nod it was that guy who played the old butcher.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2014 11:27 PM

Three Lives is till there, honey. Just run by a different set of girls.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2014 5:42 PM

She served hair.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2018 12:57 AM

Frey deserved a nomination but for "Boys in the Band" instead. Maybe it was a make-up Oscar nod, even back then.

He was the male celeb when I was on a game show -- but not the week I got on. I hustled the shit out of him as we'd pass in the hall because I was so impressed an Oscar nominee was there (and he'd given one of my all time favorite performances too). Lots of eye contact but nothing else and I guess a good thing in retrospect.

Cool to see a thread devoted to him here.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2018 1:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!