Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Stefanie Powers

Did she get along with Tallulah Bankhead on the set of 'Die! Die! My Darling'? Was she a household name in her 'Hart to Hart' days? Who would be her equivalent today?

by Anonymousreply 93February 26, 2019 4:44 PM

She always pinged to me though she was seemingly always linked to guys. A lot of people thought that Robert Wagner and Mrs H(Stephanie Powers) were either married in real life or fucking each other behind the scenes.

A friend of mine claimed that Wagner let Natalie Wood die so that he could marry/keep on fucking Stephanie Powers.

She had a MILFesque quality about her without seeming too seductive.Her affected voice at the time seemed so old school as well.

by Anonymousreply 1March 7, 2014 8:56 PM

Oh, no, now let's not have an agenda! No Stephanie is a dyke, no she copies Streisand, no her daughter hates Janet Jackson. I've read you posts for 25 years, I know who you are.

by Anonymousreply 2March 7, 2014 9:01 PM

I always thought Powers was gorgeous. Lee Grant, Jill St. John, Stephanie Powers. The ginger trifecta!

by Anonymousreply 3March 7, 2014 9:04 PM

I thought she was the most gorgeous and sophisticated woman ever during her HART TO HART days.

Of course, I was 9 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4March 7, 2014 9:11 PM

Her equivalent today would be Stefanie Powers.

by Anonymousreply 5March 7, 2014 9:14 PM

She still looks really good but I heard she was was a bitch on THE KING AND I tour.

She had a long relationship with William Holden years after he'd destroyed his looks with booze.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2014 9:14 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 7, 2014 9:16 PM

ever see Palm Springs weekend? Campy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 8March 7, 2014 9:17 PM

I loved her in that mini-series where she played twin sisters who swap places. I think it was called Deception or something like that. That was a piece of classic 80s camp TV.

by Anonymousreply 9March 7, 2014 9:22 PM

You wanna know how they got along?

It was moider!

by Anonymousreply 10March 7, 2014 9:27 PM

I loved that one too, R9! DECEPTIONS--what's not to love? Double Stefanie Powers who walks off with Barry Bostwick. Gotta see if that's on dvd.

by Anonymousreply 11March 7, 2014 10:53 PM

[quote] Lee Grant, Jill St. John, Stephanie Powers.

One of these things is not like the others.

by Anonymousreply 12March 7, 2014 10:59 PM

Stefanie Powers was C-list back in her heydey. She didn't take acting very seriously and was more committed to protecting endangered animals. The modern equivalent might be the woman whose name I can't remember who costars on Castle.

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2014 11:10 PM

She took it serious enough to get her nose fixed.

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2014 11:55 PM

And to change her name from Taffy Paul.

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2014 11:57 PM

I remember her from Girl From Uncle. It may have only been on for 2 years. It was my favorite show back in the late '60's.

by Anonymousreply 16March 8, 2014 12:01 AM

She had a hot n heavy romance with John Barrowman.

She said so in her book.

by Anonymousreply 17March 8, 2014 12:04 AM

I was absolutely crazy about her when she was on Hart to Hart. I was telling someone at work the other day how much I wanted to be Jennifer Hart/Stefanie Powers when I was a 12-year-old boy.

Don't listen to R13. She was very much a household name at the height of her fame. I'd say Julianna Margulies is her modern equivalent in terms of fame (although Juliana has been more critically acclaimed).

by Anonymousreply 18March 8, 2014 12:08 AM

Barrowman credits her with teaching him how to smile for the camera. Apparently one should pretend to be taking a bite out of an apple.

Kim Catrall is probably her modern day equivalent - C-list movie star turns to TV and achieves greater fame in doing so before returning to theatre in late middle age.

by Anonymousreply 19March 8, 2014 12:10 AM

Was the age difference between Stef and John Barrowman the reason this relationship couldn't work?

by Anonymousreply 20March 8, 2014 12:12 AM

Stefanie, Natalie Wood and Jill St. John were all in the same ballet class when they were young girls.

by Anonymousreply 21March 8, 2014 12:15 AM

{R18} The Kardashian sisters are more famous than anyone in this country. Does that make them A-list? I think not. And neither was Stefanie Powers. Barbra and Liza and Jane and Diana were A-listers during the 70s. Stefanie was nowhere near as talented or respected as they were.

by Anonymousreply 22March 8, 2014 12:20 AM

R22, I have to disagree with you that the Kardashians are more famous than anyone in the country. I would be willing to bet that my parents (who are well-read and keep up with the news) have absolutely no idea who they are.

by Anonymousreply 23March 8, 2014 12:23 AM

{R23} Your parents are probably serious, cultivated people. But the majority of Americans aren't well read and don't keep up with serious news. Instead, they live on a steady died of pop culture and the Kardashians are well known to them.

by Anonymousreply 24March 8, 2014 12:31 AM

Barrowman and Stefanie both love a big cock. So they were united on that front.

by Anonymousreply 25March 8, 2014 12:33 AM

R21, that's be use they were all Jews.

by Anonymousreply 26March 8, 2014 2:16 AM

More about Miss Powers! Do she and Betty White get along? They both love the animals.

by Anonymousreply 27March 8, 2014 2:32 AM

I remember watching her as April Dancer in Girl from UNCLE.That started all those series,Man from UNCLE,The Avengers,The Prisoner.They were all campy and mod.And fun.Noel Harrison,who co starred with Powers in Girl cut a record called 'The Windmills of your Mind'for 'The Thomas Crown Affair'. I still love that song.

by Anonymousreply 28March 8, 2014 2:33 AM

How come Hart to Hart lasted only 4 or 5 years and is still so iconic?

by Anonymousreply 29March 8, 2014 2:36 AM

I had never heard this song until I came across it on YouTube tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 8, 2014 2:41 AM

[quote]I remember her from Girl From Uncle. It may have only been on for 2 years. It was my favorite show back in the late '60's.

Odd that this is mentioned like an aside. THAT show is what put her on the map and what she was most famous for.

by Anonymousreply 31March 8, 2014 4:57 PM

Shd did a UK tour of ON GOLDEN POND two years ago.....

by Anonymousreply 32March 8, 2014 5:31 PM

Why did they make her do a fake English accent on the Girl from Uncle?

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2014 6:32 PM

She was no Stepfanie Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2014 6:35 PM

She's gwageous!

by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2014 6:39 PM

Did anyone have more glorious hair than Stefanie?

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2014 3:31 AM

She's straight but very gay friendly. Was a kind and good friend to Capucine. Employs her tranny MTF cousin as an assistant.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2014 3:41 AM

Stef interview with Ruta Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2014 3:48 AM

I would love to see SP in Looped, the stage play about working with Tallulah in Die Die My Darling.

It got rave reviews when Valerie Harper took the play on tour. SP filled in when Rhoda fell ill.

WTF happened to this production?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2014 3:59 AM

I T W W A T U T W

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2014 4:00 AM

You motherfuckers are making me feel old.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2014 4:01 AM

I loved Deceptions too.

It's on youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2014 4:12 AM

Great now I have that fucking TV show opening stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2014 4:14 AM

Mistral's something, a 1980s tv mini series produced by and starring SP is a hoot.

SP plays the lead character from the age of 17. Stef must have been 40+ at the time. Its a camp riot. Hilarious dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2014 4:18 AM

Mistral's Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2014 4:29 AM

I don't know Stephanie, but I will tell you that R3 is a motherfucking cunt!

by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2014 12:57 PM

R46 you don't know Miss Powers, nor do you know how she spells her name

STEFANIE

by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2014 6:02 PM

You're terrible r303

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2014 12:48 AM

why did Stef and John Barrowman break up?

She never really did address the reason for the break-up in her book.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2014 12:50 AM

She found him in another guy.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2014 1:00 AM

R50 don't you mean SHE found another guy and dumped him?

by Anonymousreply 51March 10, 2014 1:03 AM

She's with some guy named Tom who lives in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2014 1:09 AM

So she dumped John Barrowman for this guy Ton in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 53March 10, 2014 1:13 AM

Her real achievement is that she was 41 in 1983 and is 68 in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2014 1:14 AM

William Holden was the love of her life, not John Barrowman.

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2014 3:31 AM

Isn't Barrowman gayer than Liberace and Paul Lynde put together?! I mean Stephanie probably caught wind that he was shamelessly starfucking and checking out other guys. It might have even been a showmance on his part that she wasn't privy to.

by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2014 7:09 AM

Murderer Robert Wagner? Uber-gay John Barrowman? Drunkard William Holden? She really knows how to pick her men, huh?!

by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2014 7:17 AM

Miss Stefanie was also part of the delicious ensemble of "Jackie Collins' Hollywood Wives" in 1985. Her husband, Anthony Hopkins, died of a heart attack while thrusting into Suzanne Somers.

by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2014 7:22 AM

She took movie acting very seriously. On a Biography show, you saw her screening old Joan Crawford movies to study Joan. I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 59March 10, 2014 7:30 AM

Ha totally remember Deceptions and Mistral's Daughter. Among the first TV movies I remember watching. My mother loved all that shit and even used to watch the repeats on the Romance channel before it became WE. I never really had a bedtime so my sisters and I (I'm female, in case there was any confusion) used to go into mommy's master bedroom and watch all those movies together, it was fun. The ABC star tunnel was the BEST. That's what the Bond movies used to re-run on before they went to TBS. Back when my sisters and I all got along, too, but...I digress.

I never got her beauty, though. Nothing great about her face, plus clearly fake red hair and an obvious nose job. And her Frances Schreuder movie sucked balls (I'm sure there MUST be at least a couple At Mother's Request vs Nutcracker threads on DL somewhere). But she undoubtedly one of the top movie queens of the 80s.

Doesn't she have lung cancer?

by Anonymousreply 60March 10, 2014 8:32 AM

Sat next to her in first class on a flight from LA to Houston a few years ago. She is very bright - I left her alone but she asked me about a book I was reading. She had Fortune and the Wall St. Journal for her reading. Gorgeous, so nice - truly a great conversationalist. Enjoyed the entire flight. Classy lady.

by Anonymousreply 61March 10, 2014 1:11 PM

R61 - you sure she was holding those newspapers right side up?

by Anonymousreply 62March 10, 2014 2:19 PM

She was twice Emmy nominated for Hart to Hart

by Anonymousreply 63March 10, 2014 2:30 PM

R63 in the 80s you could fart and be nominated for a drama series. The Emmys were all about the sitcoms. There was next to no competition in the drama categories.

by Anonymousreply 64March 10, 2014 5:47 PM

She's got a mews home in London. She does a considerable amount of theatre in the UK. Has polo ponies and still rides.

She also does speaking engagements on cruises, one not long ago around Qatar.

When I read the 1960s deluded actress thread I so hoped it was not she.

She was close with Ava Gardner (called her the sexiest individual she had ever met) and Capucine. Gaydar for the ladies I do not have, but certainly Miss Powers is at the very least gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 65March 10, 2014 5:55 PM

Has anybody of you read her book 'One from the Hart'? If so, tell me what she is writing about Lana Turner. I know that Lana didn't like Stefanie...They played together in the movie 'Love Has Many Faces'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2014 12:06 PM

Just found her twitter page. She doesn't tweet much but a tweet from August says that her beloved Tom died. Is that the Tom she was living with?

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2015 5:52 PM

I looked up the Girl from UNCLE after the Mary Ann Mobley is Dead to me thread. Powers received some bad reviews and was characterised as smug, smirking etc. in both the show AND in interviews to promote it. That surprised me. I'd always put her in the "charm school" contract player set.

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2015 6:05 PM

I had an intense dislike for her when she was younger as she was an avid fan of bullfighting. If I recall, she became involved in wildlife conservation when she and William Holden were together. From what I understand, she is somewhat an animal rights supporter now, but the cynic in me believes it's for show.

by Anonymousreply 69January 5, 2015 6:16 PM

I liked her best in the '60s -- you can find her in THE GIRL FROM U.N.C.L.E. as well as series like ROUTE 66. She was tall and lovely and sexy without trying to be. Had a wonderful speaking voice, musical and a bit husky. And she seemed intelligent, which lots of pretty girls then did not. She was married to Gary Lockwood at the time.

by Anonymousreply 70January 5, 2015 6:17 PM

Her skin looks mottled, like she had a botched chemical peel.

by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2015 6:18 PM

^ Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 5, 2015 6:18 PM

She's old as dirt. She still looks like herself - successful PS for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 73January 5, 2015 6:22 PM

She was in a movie with Lana Turner called LOVE HAS MANY FACES which is a complete camp fest. In one of the scenes Miss Powers comes down with diarrhea and is confined to her hotel room for several days. Now whenever I get sick I always tell people Stefanie Powers is visiting.

by Anonymousreply 74January 5, 2015 6:26 PM

I worship her.

by Anonymousreply 75January 5, 2015 7:18 PM

Stefanie Powers took over for the ailing Valerie Harper on the national tour of "Looped," the one-woman play about Tallulah Bankhead, a few years ago. Of course, every reporter asked Stefanie what it was like working with Tallu on "Die! Die! My Darling," but Stef always remained tight-lipped and reverential, only saying something like "those stories aren't fit for print."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 5, 2015 8:09 PM

She's no Connie Sellecca

by Anonymousreply 77January 5, 2015 8:27 PM

I just saw her host the Rose Parade.

She's my fave next to sexy blonde, Blair Underwood.

by Anonymousreply 78January 5, 2015 9:59 PM

Does Blair Underwood dye his bush?

by Anonymousreply 79January 5, 2015 10:06 PM

[quote]I loved her in that mini-series where she played twin sisters who swap places.

As insipid as this sounds I still must say that Barry Bostwick was is so fucking hot in that.

I love the scene where he drops his robe and climbs into bed naked with what he thinks is his wife when in reality it's the twin. And she can't do a damn thing to stop it. He's got great nipples.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 5, 2015 10:32 PM

How 'bout a big round of applause for the big 80s and it's REFRESHING lack of insight and irony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2015 10:35 PM

Stefanie is one of those rare women who just kept getting better with age. She was more beautiful in her 40s than in her 20s I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2015 10:38 PM

She just hosted a month of films on TCM with Ben Mankiewicz. William Holden was the star of the month and she as his ex-wife got the honor of introducing them.

She looks great.

by Anonymousreply 83May 6, 2018 1:05 AM

She had lung cancer and survived. Diagnosed and surgery cured it in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 84May 6, 2018 1:14 AM

I never missed The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.

by Anonymousreply 85May 6, 2018 1:15 AM

I remember during her Hart to Hart media articles about her and Joan Collins and Linda Evans discussing how women can now be sexy after 40.

by Anonymousreply 86May 6, 2018 1:17 AM

rumored to be a lez, was merely a good buddy to w holden...

by Anonymousreply 87May 6, 2018 2:24 AM

[quote] But the majority of Americans aren't well read and don't keep up with serious news. Instead, they live on a steady died of pop culture

At least we know how to spell "diet" correctly, however.

by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2018 2:35 AM

[quote] William Holden was the star of the month and she as his ex-wife got the honor of introducing them.

They were never married. They were very much a couple at the end of his life, though.

by Anonymousreply 89May 6, 2018 2:36 AM

Does anyone else remember her from "The Feather & Father Gang"?

by Anonymousreply 90May 6, 2018 2:37 AM

She and Wagner had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 91February 26, 2019 4:23 PM

She is referenced in two books I read recently: in HOLLYWOOD's EVE, by Lili Anoulik, Eve Babitz rhapsodizes to the the author about going to Hollywood High and how beautiful the girls in her class (which included Stefanie Powers, (then known as Taffy Paul, and Yvette Mimieux). Many of these girls, including Taffy, were recruited by casting agents and started working while they were still in high school - I believe Stefanie did the film EXPERIMENT IN TERROR with Lee Remick at that point.

In an even better book, UPPER CUT, by Carrie White, who also went to Hollywood High, the author became a very successful Hollywood hairstylist with a vast array of famous clients, including Stefanie Powers, in the late 60s and 70s. Drugs and alcohol sent her into an insanely downward spiral and at one desperate point she actually contacted Stefanie Powers, and lived with her and her mother for time in a long battle to get her shit together. EVE's HOLLYWOOD is a good read, but UPPER CUT is really, REALLY good. Recommend it highly!

I think Stefanie Powers has plowed some money into the wild animal preserve in Kenya that William Holden was involved with; not sure if she still does.

by Anonymousreply 92February 26, 2019 4:41 PM

Are we really meant to believe Holden could get it up by the time he met Stef?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 26, 2019 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!