Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So was Robert Wagner bi or what?

This book review says his first divorce from Natalie was brought about when she walked in on him and another guy.

And there's that persistent rumor that the same thing happened on The Splendor that night with Christopher Walken, which prompted the drunken Natalie to try to get off the boat- with tragic results.

So... did R.J. like hole and pole? He never really pinged to me, though he was handsome enough to get anyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 8, 2021 10:05 AM

He was certainly handsome enough in his prime, that's for sure. Some pics and scenes in his movies show a very promising bulge begging for attention.

So, I vote Bi.

He is heartbreaking in "With A Song In My Heart" with Susan Hayward. Going from a bright eyed grinning recruit to an empty shell shocked veteran in the Army hospital audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2014 10:32 AM

Spencer Tracy was very interested in him, and RJ was regarded as his 'protege' - doing 2 films with him. They are meant to be brothers in the 1956 The Mountain but Wagner then in his 20s looked like a teenager while Tracy seemed old enough to play his grandfather.

John Ford would never use Wagner though tested him several times, including for the role of Martin Pawley in The Searchers, which if Wagner had got would have been his first with Natalie. Ford chose Wagner's pal and fellow contract player Jeffrey Hunter instead, using Hunter in 3 of his films. Perhaps Jeff was prepared to put out and let an old man slobber over him .... though Wagner when a pretty young golf caddy for the likes of Clark Gable must have had a few opportunites to get into movies.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Wagner's and Tab Hunter's books are too discreet. Perhaps when they have passed on someone can reveal the real dish about them and their lovers.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2014 10:41 AM

Natalie awoke to an empty bed in the middle of the night and found RJ in their living room fucking the butler.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2014 10:44 AM

Is anyone buying Wagner's admitted affair with Stanwyck in the early 1950s?

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2014 10:46 AM

In about 1981 my good friend and roommate went to visit relatives in Los Angeles. He was about 20 and very cute at the time. During his visit to MGM (?) studios, he was lagging behind the tour group and got momentarily separated. He said he bumped into Robert Wagner. RJ took and interest in him and was wanting to know all about his visit. What had he seen? Where was he staying? What were his interests? My friend was so clueless he did not really know/care who Robert Wagner was. My friend didn't even realize Wagner was probably interested in him until I told him about the rumors.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2014 11:00 AM

All speculation, but... RJ lived with the much older Clifton Webb and his mum when he was just starting out in Hollywood. Of course, RJ claims that Webb never made a pass at him(!). But that domestic setup did raise eyebrows. He was also one of Henry Willson's clients early in his career. Then there's the Stanwyck affair. In his book, RJ tells a story of Webb introducing him to Noël Coward at a party at Coward's house, and towards the end of the evening, after all the guests had gone, Coward made a pass at him, but RJ declined. Now what completely straight, young, handsome man would put himself in that situation? The last guest at an older gay man's party. Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2014 1:46 PM

Robert Wagner is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2014 2:48 PM

He made that Stanwyck shit up to cover for his (and her) bisexuality. She was dead and couldn't defend herself.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2014 2:53 PM

Wagner was a pall bearer for Webb. The guy behind Wagner is the late producer Richard Zanuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2014 2:54 PM

Well he has the AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2014 3:14 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2014 3:18 PM

[quote]He is heartbreaking in "With A Song In My Heart" with Susan Hayward.

They were both fantastic in that film - along with Thelma Ritter. One of the best movie soundtracks ever.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2014 3:44 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2014 5:14 PM

Yeats ago (in the 70s) there was a book about gay life in Kansas City that mentioned Wagner being out and about at some of the upscale gay bars in the city.

I always had the impression that Natalie was very comfortable around gay men.

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2014 5:52 PM

She was close to Sal Mineo and Nick Adams

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2014 8:57 PM

Read his book. super gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2014 9:02 PM

He is the first man I can remember having a gay crush on. I found him absolutely dreamy.

Years later I met him here in Europe. No ping at all. In fact, he was a bit macho and controlling of the women in his company. I nearly felt compelled to speak up about the manner in which he spoke to my sister and her Euro actress gf. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately I think he's probably straight. Also, Lana Wood is so angry with him I think she might have outed him as gay or bi by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2014 9:27 PM

Does Lana Wood think he bumped off Nat?

Loved him in With A Song in My Heart. I remember watching it with my grandma. We both had a tear in our eyes...or maybe it was just raining on my face at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2014 9:56 PM

Lana Wood did out him to author of "Natasha", Suzanne Finstad. It was Lana who told her about Natalie catching RJ fucking their butler. Upon finding them together, Natalie smashed a glass and cut her hand. She drove to her parents' house in hysterics, and bleeding, in the middle of the night, where Lana was still living at the time.

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2014 10:08 PM

Drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2014 10:11 PM

Check out his appearances on What's My Line? as the Mystery Guest.

On one of them he's quite hilarious and does great impressions of some of the big-time stars of the 1950s. He was never allowed to be that funny in his films.

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2014 10:12 PM

He was bi, but pretends to be 100% straight. He wrote a book where he neglected to mention his affairs with men but talked all about the affairs he had with women (some of whom are dead and cannot confirm or deny his claims)

Frank Langella is the same - another bi guy who pretends to be 100% straight and plays up his supposed affairs with dead women.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2014 10:13 PM

Btw, Van Johnson's daughter was on some forum (forget which one) where she talked about how it was known in Hollywood that Wagner was bi and that people warned Natalie not to marry him for that reason. But I guess she didn't listen.

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2014 10:15 PM

[quote]Lana Wood did out him to author of "Natasha", Suzanne Finstad. It was Lana who told her about Natalie catching RJ fucking their butler

Oh, I'd like to read this. Perhaps my childhood dream crush does have a bit of time for the peen after all.

I read his autobio - boring, so straight. I barely got thru it.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2014 10:25 PM

"Fucking the butler..." Hm, a top?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2014 10:37 PM

"Natalie awoke to an empty bed in the middle of the night and found RJ in their living room fucking the butler."

Next thing you know he's pondering 'How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria'.

by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2014 10:49 PM

Eddie Fisher writes in "Been There, Done That" that Wagner came to his house sobbing and inconsolable over Wood's affair with Warren Beatty.

Iirc, Fisher's reaction was that he'd never find himself like Wagner over a woman. Later, because of Taylor, he recalled Wagner and knew what he was going through.

Take Fisher's account for what it's worth, but BT,DT was a delicious read. He really serves up some tasty dish in that book.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2014 10:51 PM

I don't think he's bi...a murderer maybe.

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2014 10:56 PM

Robert Wagner had gay voice. Listen on It Takes a Thief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2014 10:56 PM

Does any body here know - has any body actually met him and knows his true nature?

Because if what some of you are saying is true the next time I see him I'm going to offer up my hole for old time's sake.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2014 11:11 PM

Wagner has an article in this year's Vanity Fair Hollywood issue about the great homes and estates of La-La Land. It sounds like he's been in all of them. (Kind of like DL's "Mr. Hollywood".)

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2014 11:15 PM

[quote]Btw, Van Johnson's daughter was on some forum (forget which one) where she talked about how it was known in Hollywood that Wagner was bi and that people warned Natalie not to marry him for that reason. But I guess she didn't listen.

The Prince of Darkness stops at nothing, dear heart.

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2014 12:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2014 12:46 AM

Wagner - bi trending toward gay.

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2014 3:40 PM

Did anyone notice how many times Wagner popped up during that tribute to Robert Osborne TCM did a few weeks ago? He was in the background of the old clips so often, including Osborne getting his star on the Walk of Fame that was almost like playing "Where's Waldo' to try to spot him.

Maybe that sly old fox Osborne has been tapping it all these years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2014 3:55 PM

Another:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2014 3:56 PM

Wood and Wagner were very close friends with Mart Crowley, who wrote The Boys In The Band. Crowley lived with the Wagners when he was a penniless writer. I'm assuming Robert Le Tourneaux (who played Cowboy in TBITB) blabbed about what he heard from Crowley.

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2014 4:18 PM

Also respected writer and critic Gavin Lambert, an English gay who took to the Californian lifestyle, who wrote the novel of "Inside Daisy Clover" became friends with Natalie and was the partner I understand of Mart Crowley, so he mixed with the Wagners a lot, and he wrote that rather good biography of her, before he died himself.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2014 4:32 PM

RJ and Natalie hobnobbed with all the oldtimers of Hollywood. Walken must have been the only person with whom they socialized who was under 70.

What's up with his marriage to Jill St. John? She seemed to stop working soon after they hooked up. Highly paid beard?

Hey, he has a movie coming out. Apparently starring his step-daughter Natasha Gregson-Wagner (whatever happened to her?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2014 8:12 PM

LANA didn't out him to SUZANNE FINSTAD. NATALIE'S girlfriend Noelle told the author about what had occurred back in '61. LANA only 'confirmed' that she recalled having heard this from their mother. NATALIE'S mother was weary of R.J. from the start and completely appalled by his effeminate butler who NATALIE apparently 'tolerated' since he came with R.J. into their first home together.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2014 8:28 PM

"Wood and Wagner were very close friends with Mart Crowley, who wrote The Boys In The Band. Crowley lived with the Wagners when he was a penniless writer. I'm assuming Robert Le Tourneaux (who played Cowboy in TBITB) blabbed about what he heard from Crowley."

Not quite. NATALIE met MART on the set of SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS and she hired him afterwards to be her personal secretary because she learned that he was going to be in need of work once the filming production was wrapped. Additionally, it was during filming that the alleged incident of NATALIE finding R.J. occurred. The two did NOT live together after that.

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2014 8:32 PM

Several people who I know, and whose tales I believe have told me that R.J. is bi-sexual. Each having known someone (to) whom R.J. had made a pass, shown interest. From what I've been told, he is also a very nice man; well mannered, caring. (And) although the story of NATALIE having found R.J. in a compromising situation sounds plausible, when the two met up again a decade later just after she'd thrown out DICK GREGSON for fooling around with his girl Friday, NATALIE thought his 'one time' 'experimenting' was either behind him or something that she could tolerate.

by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2014 8:40 PM

I've heard that Wagner and Paul Newman were an item for a few years in the '60s. Probably around the time of "Harper" and "Winning," but not around "Towering Inferno."

by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2014 8:45 PM

Supposedly NEWMAN thought R.J. to be the 'ideal'

If true, they would've been one handsome couple; Right up there with GUY & RORY, TY & ERROL !

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2014 9:05 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2014 10:23 PM

Are we sure that isn't an aged Sonja Henie in r46's photo link?

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2014 1:50 AM

Several years ago on the anniversary of Natalie Wood's death(November 29th), a friend visiting in CA was sitting on a bench near Natalie's grave when a blue Jaguar entered the cemetery, driven by Robert Wagner. He walked over to the grave and stood silent for a few minutes, then turned to my friend and asked, "Are you here for her?". When my friend responded that she was, Wagner began a conversation with her and ended it by thanking her for visiting Natalie's grave.

by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2014 1:52 AM

"LANA didn't out him to SUZANNE FINSTAD. NATALIE'S girlfriend Noelle told the author about what had occurred back in '61. LANA only 'confirmed' that she recalled having heard this from their mother. NATALIE'S mother was weary of R.J. from the start and completely appalled by his effeminate butler who NATALIE apparently 'tolerated' since he came with R.J. into their first home together."

If you read the book "Natasha", Lana's description of Natalie arriving at her parents' house in hysterics and bleeding in the middle of the night is well documented. Lana was still living with her parents at the time and witnessed it all.

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2014 1:56 AM

He's best friends with that TCM guy, who is as gay as a bunny with a picnic basket.

by Anonymousreply 50February 13, 2014 2:04 AM

That is definitely Bette Davis in pic posted by R46. she was heavily made-up for some tribute or award show.

by Anonymousreply 51February 13, 2014 2:19 AM

R48 Interesting story.

by Anonymousreply 52February 13, 2014 2:25 AM

Hey Anonymous- LANA was not told at the time it went down that her sister had caught R.J. with a man. She only saw the hysterics & knew the marriage was in trouble but NOT why nor what had happened. It wasn't until she was older that she found out. Again, it was her friend (Faye) Nuell who spilled the beans to FINSTAD.

by Anonymousreply 53February 13, 2014 7:34 AM

I'd love to know RJ likes the peen but as I say above he just didn't ping. And I was around him a number of times in the 80s when he was making films in Europe.

I noticed then that he seemed to drink a lot. was told that he had some anger issues. All idle gossip of course, but at least this info came from people working with him.

by Anonymousreply 54February 13, 2014 7:49 AM

R11, how do you know this? Why do you say this?

by Anonymousreply 55February 13, 2014 9:23 AM

I always wondered if he might be gay, even as a kid, and when he was married.

by Anonymousreply 56February 13, 2014 9:50 AM

Anyone who was friends with Stanwyck and Davis has to be gay - Wagner and Bette's MADAME SIN is a campfest. Of course Bette knew Natalie when she was young as Nat played her daughter in THE STAR.

by Anonymousreply 57February 13, 2014 12:06 PM

Pinged like crazy in "It Takes A Thief."

by Anonymousreply 58February 13, 2014 12:20 PM

There is something definitely dark about him; not that being gay is dark, but closet cases have made it that way by hiding it. For that alone, I don't like his "type", whether it is a self-loathing homosexual, or just some anger freak who always comes across as cool, calm and collected in public. He always gave me the creeps. I remember my little sister being frightened by him whenever she saw Hart to Hart.

by Anonymousreply 59February 13, 2014 12:22 PM

r40 - "She seemed to stop working soon after they hooked up."

Now that's just not true - she lit up the screen as Mickey's mother on Seinfeld. Critics hailed her performance with such accolades as "never before has a walk-in affected the course of an established long-running show; she brought everyone to their knees". The TIMES John Petrie Grover said, "Walk-on? Ha. How about ... Time Standing Still." Sources say the cast and crew gave her a 3-minute standing ovation. She is beloved by all and missed and I wish she worked more.

by Anonymousreply 60February 13, 2014 12:29 PM

I had heard many many years ago from someone I trusted that Wagner worked as a caddy for, among others, Randolph Scott, who became his first "Mentor." And I do believe the story about Wagner and Walken on the boat, though I don't think that's the reason Natalie drowned.

by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2014 12:48 PM

R4, it wasn't Max was it?

by Anonymousreply 62February 13, 2014 12:49 PM

Jill St. John hung in there a long time before R.J married her. She wrote a cookbook shortly after they got married. My mother has it.

by Anonymousreply 63February 13, 2014 12:59 PM

I always wondered about him and Jill St John because they hooked up IMMEDIATELY after Natalie's death. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2014 3:19 PM

He was on an English chat show hosted by gay Paul O'Grady a few years ago now, when he seemed rather doddery and suddenly aged, Jill was with him and seemed to be acting as his carer.

Has anyone seen him in recent years? It was sad to see him so frail when he was such a hottle when young.

by Anonymousreply 65February 13, 2014 4:37 PM

I can well believe that about Wagner and Newman, they hung out a lot in the 60s, and RJ was in a few Newman movies.

Wagner certainly fared better than his 20th century fox pal and co-star Jeffrey Hunter when they were both freelancing in the 60s. Poor Jeff's career fizzled and he died in 1969 ...

by Anonymousreply 66February 13, 2014 4:41 PM

Neither Wagner nor Hunter were particularly good actors, but at least RJ had personality. Jeffrey Hunter, beauty that he was, was kind of dull.

by Anonymousreply 67February 13, 2014 7:15 PM

Well, JEFF HUNTER didn't play the 'game' at the studio. He didn't like being 'beefcake'. WAGNER was always gregarious and accommodating. Shame that once STAR TREK was optioned that RODDENBERRY chose not to use HUNTER since he was the FIRST Captain of the USS ENTERPRISE, having played CAPTAIN PIKE in the pilot which was filmed 50 years ago back in 1964, two years before the tv series was 'ok'd'. I can tell you this about JILL; though she and NATALIE had known one another since they were kids, they were slightly more than cordial. NATALIE never once had her over to her house on N. Canon Drive. NOT ONE TIME. Now, JILL & R.J. have also known one another since the late 50s and the two were in 2 films together in the mid 60s. They understand one another and they understand compromise. Though R.J. has a great reputation amongst his HOLLYWOOD contemporaries for being a genuine gentleman, well mannered, caring, kind etc, JILL is thought by many to be very 'cold' and it's all about her; this goes way back too. Many who have worked with her have less than flattering recollections.

by Anonymousreply 68February 13, 2014 8:41 PM

R68 I think RJ's image in the community is not quite so chipper. Drink, anger, control have been issues for decades.

by Anonymousreply 69February 13, 2014 8:50 PM

My friend auditioned for the role of the bellboy in the Broadway production of Noel Cowards, Present Laughter, on Broadway. It starred Clifton Webb. He was told to meet Mr. Webb at his hotel. They had sex and he got the role. I don't think Robert Wagner just "lived" with Clifton Webb. My friend was Mr. Loomis, who fires Auntie Mame from Macy's in the movie. He Wouldn't mind my revealing this. He said it was all part of Show Biz.

by Anonymousreply 70February 13, 2014 9:12 PM

Well, I for one, I believe you about the CRIS ALEXANDER tale.

by Anonymousreply 71February 13, 2014 9:32 PM

Chris Alexander??

by Anonymousreply 72February 13, 2014 9:47 PM

S. Powers' book gives no good dish. She knows a lot but she's not talking.

by Anonymousreply 73February 13, 2014 9:48 PM

Smart way to survive I guess. Remember when ZSA ZSA said that ELKE SOMMER was "damn near bald with about 4 hairs remaining" ? SOMMER sued and won. Of course, what ZSA ZSA said was an incredible stretch. Cough cough gag.

by Anonymousreply 74February 13, 2014 10:03 PM

Jesus FUCKING Christ KELT your random use OF caps is pissing ME off

by Anonymousreply 75February 13, 2014 10:13 PM

Oh weally ? And I'm all about pleasing. Let me get back to you.

by Anonymousreply 76February 13, 2014 10:34 PM

Jill St John was the world's oldest starlet long before Wood's demise. I don't think she was working much before Wagner married her.

If the Nicholas Ray rumors are true, then Wood would seem to have gotte tolerant of bisexual lovers at an early age.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2014 12:11 AM

Anybody here ever see a piece of shlock called "All the Fine Young Cannibals?" It nearly killed Natalie's career, before "Splendor in the Grass" revived it. Robert Wagner was shallow as usual, and it even had Pearl Bailey as a Billie Holiday-type character.

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2014 12:38 AM

Wasn't Natalie Wood Married to Richard Gregson during the "Boys In The Band" era?

I thought Gregson had something to do with it getting produced.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2014 12:46 AM

She married GREGSON in May of '69; the two had been dating for 3 years. MART CROWLEY wrote BOYS IN THE BAND several years earlier. It was on the stage in 1968, and made into a film in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2014 12:57 AM

Why would Wagner have to live with Clifton Webb or anyone else, since his parents lived in the Los Angeles area and were quite well off financially?

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2014 2:22 AM

Lana Wood was a major source for Suzanne Finstad's biography, "Natasha". I have spoken to Suzanne and Lana, both before and after the book was published, and I am even thanked by Suzanne on the book's acknowledgements page.

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2014 2:27 AM

There is NO bellboy in Present Laughter.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2014 2:42 AM

KELT meet Bugs Bunny

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2014 2:55 AM

R82 so kindly tell us what you know please.

Does Lana believe RJ likes the peen?

Has she a theory about Natalie's death?

I've been around RJ a few times in Europe on set and in a very relaxed environment in the south of France and Switzerland. Never once did he give himself away and I'm sure he was aware that I am gay.

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2014 3:19 AM

Not me Cupcake. Unlike a lot of you guys, I sign my posts.

by Anonymousreply 86February 14, 2014 3:27 AM

Has anyone ever asked him whether he gave it up to Spence?

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2014 3:34 AM

Natalie Wood was almost Mrs. Raymond Burr, according to some rumors.

Robert Wagner, to me, had the best hair among the actors. And he seemed to shine playing a murderer in "A Kiss Before Dying".

by Anonymousreply 88February 14, 2014 7:31 AM

Ask Michael Weatherly about Robert Wagner...

by Anonymousreply 89February 14, 2014 9:40 AM

Fox Movie Channel ON DEMAND has posted a 1957 color film directed by Nicholas Ray, with Robert Wagner and Jeffrey Hunter as Frank and Jesse James, worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 90February 14, 2014 11:29 AM

Regarding the Stanwyck-Wagner supposed affair, she sure had her fill of men with questionable sexual natures with Robert Taylor. Taylor was the ultimate Mama's boy, catering to his wacky mother's every demand, including often sleeping in the same bed with her when he was a grown man. The woman hated Stanwyck, and vice versa, Barbara would ask friends, "When is Bob going to grow some balls?". On their wedding night, Stanwyck went back to her house alone, while Taylor went to his mother's house and slept with her in his arms all night, she was so upset over the news of the wedding that she feared dying of a heart attack in her sleep.

by Anonymousreply 91February 14, 2014 11:39 AM

I met Natalie in 1968 - very briefly! A friend and I were walking down Kings Road in Chelsea in London that swinging year, and someone handed me a flier for a forthcoming show - The Doors & Jefferson Airplane in an all-rounder at The Roundhouse, in Camden, a happening place then, in that hippie era. I was a young hippie myself with long hair. We entered some shop and a smart smallish woman sitting there asked me what the flier was for and once I told her she asked if she could have it, so I said yes and gave it to her, and yes she had an American accent. My pal and I left the shop and contined walking along, then we both stopped, looked at each other and said simultaneously "That was Natalie Wood" - and it was, she was living in London then during her marriage between the Wagner ones. PS _ I was at the allnighter and on acid with my hippie pals, and I am in the concert footage sitting on the floor, looking up at Jim Morrison, all sweaty in his white shirt and leather trousers, who had come down from the stage and was towering over us. The Airplane were great too with their psychedelic lightshows, but the Doors segments was taped for "The Doors in Europe" tv show.

by Anonymousreply 92February 14, 2014 12:46 PM

"Ask Michael Weatherly about Robert Wagner..."

Details, please!

by Anonymousreply 93February 14, 2014 3:42 PM

r93 for you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 14, 2014 3:58 PM

Almost 100 posts and nothing. Nothing.

I think he's straight, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 95February 14, 2014 4:03 PM

"Unlike a lot of you guys, I sign my posts."

That's what know-nothing egomaniacal hack David Ehrenstein used to say, like it meant anything.

by Anonymousreply 96February 14, 2014 4:19 PM

Never cared for Wagner. He was the last of Henry Willson's boys. He can't act, but really none of Henry's boys could. And he's not being honest about what happened to his wife. I definitely buy the Wagner/Walken love story. In the Finstead book, she spent a night on shore with the captain while Wagner and Walken stayed on board the Splendour.

by Anonymousreply 97February 14, 2014 4:34 PM

I like David Ehrenstein and miss his posts.

by Anonymousreply 98February 14, 2014 4:49 PM

I hate David Ehrenstein and miss his posts. Especially his drunken-drug infused ones.

by Anonymousreply 99February 14, 2014 4:58 PM

While Chris Walken was perhaps sexy in a weird sort of way in his 20s, he was already verging on grotesque by the time he became chums with Wagner and Wood.

While I don't doubt Wagner is at least bi, I can't imagine he would have felt the urge to get sexual with Walken at that point in both their lives. Wagner would have had access to far hotter and younger Hollywood gayness.

by Anonymousreply 100February 14, 2014 5:05 PM

Have you seen Christopher Walken dance? Not only is he one of our most talented actors, the man can move. Also, around the time of Brainstorm he wasn't creepy looking at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 14, 2014 5:15 PM

Wagner was angry at the time, suspicious Natalie was fooling around with Walken during filming.

The fight between the two erupted around this very subject once RJ had a few drinks in him.

by Anonymousreply 102February 14, 2014 5:20 PM

[quote]Wagner was angry at the time, suspicious Natalie was fooling around with Walken during filming.

Yes, that was the message Wagner put out there.

by Anonymousreply 103February 14, 2014 5:25 PM

No this was the word from the set where RJ made his presence known. Shooting was uncomfortable when he appeared.

Jealous bugger.

by Anonymousreply 104February 14, 2014 5:33 PM

here, r92?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 14, 2014 5:34 PM

Sounds to me like Natalie Wood would have known all about his male dalliances.

by Anonymousreply 106February 14, 2014 5:38 PM

r106 yes and she would have shared them with Lana and Lana would be sharing all now. She can't stand RJ.

by Anonymousreply 107February 14, 2014 5:41 PM

[quote]Shooting was uncomfortable when he appeared. Jealous Bugger.

Maybe the Wagner was jealous of Walken. I recall a long time ago, a woman I knew worked for the Park Lane Hotel in NYC. She was called up to a celebrity suite to let them know noise complaints were coming in. Tom Jones answered the door wrapped in a towel and she said there was a veritable orgy going on behind him, all men, all undressed. I refused to believe it. "But he's married," I said. The girl (straight, btw) just looked at me and chuckled.

by Anonymousreply 108February 14, 2014 6:34 PM

R83, You're correct he didn't play a bell boy. The role is described as a valet.

by Anonymousreply 109February 14, 2014 8:10 PM

r83, Just looked it up. I thought Cris said he played a bell boy. When I googled it, I discovered Cris Alexander played Roland Maule a play write.

by Anonymousreply 110February 14, 2014 8:17 PM

I spent some time reading about your friend, R70. He seems like he would have been a great person to know.

by Anonymousreply 111February 14, 2014 9:35 PM

I heard that Paul Newman was having an affair with Keith Prentice back in the day.

Did anyone else ever hear this?

by Anonymousreply 112February 14, 2014 11:02 PM

When Wagner kicks the bucket, you can be sure Lana Wood will be on the phone to the National Enquirer.

by Anonymousreply 113February 14, 2014 11:23 PM

No, r112. Paul Newman was not gay and did not have affairs with men. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 114February 14, 2014 11:32 PM

R101. Saw him when he was a replacement chorus boy in the Sherlock Holmes musical BAKER STREET on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 115February 14, 2014 11:58 PM

R101, dancer or not, Walken is still creepy as HELL. Always was, and it got worse with age.

by Anonymousreply 116February 15, 2014 12:16 AM

R113 that would be silly. A book deal would be far more lucrative.

You're talking out your bum, like most on this pitiful thread.

by Anonymousreply 117February 15, 2014 12:20 AM

Despite earning a living as a chorus boy in shows like Baker Street and High Spirits, Chris Walken has never had a reputation as playing around with men.

by Anonymousreply 118February 15, 2014 1:56 AM

Walken danced with Liza in her first NY show, the off-Broadway "Best Foot Forward" in 1963.

But he never dated her. That I know of.

by Anonymousreply 119February 15, 2014 2:07 AM

Around the time of her death, Natalie was supposedly jealous of RJ's relationship with H2H co-star, Stefanie Powers, especially since William Holden had recently died and RJ was consoling her.

by Anonymousreply 120February 15, 2014 7:58 PM

R20 oh please. Wood and Holden died within a few weeks of each other.

by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2014 8:11 PM

I want to know more about Tom Jones and that orgy that allegedly happened!

Didn't he say awhile back that he used to pay guys to perform oral sex on him, or is that just an Internet rumor?

by Anonymousreply 122February 17, 2014 4:04 AM

"[R20] oh please. Wood and Holden died within a few weeks of each other."

That's the point, genius. Since Holden's recent death, Wagner had been consoling Stefanie much like Eddie was consoling Liz after Mike Todd's death and Natalie was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 123February 17, 2014 4:55 AM

Does anyone really believe Tom Jones would ever have to pay someone to blow him?

by Anonymousreply 124February 17, 2014 4:56 AM

Here's RJ and Jeffrey Hunter together back in their 50s heyday. Why is RJ so happy? 'cause he's fucking Jeffrey?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 17, 2014 7:33 AM

Interesting post, R94.

Of course, now RJ plays Weatherly's father on NCIS...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 17, 2014 7:35 AM

[quote]Despite earning a living as a chorus boy in shows like Baker Street and High Spirits, Chris Walken has never had a reputation as playing around with men.

Walken keeps his private life private, so we never hear much gossip about him. The first time I heard of Walken liking the gay sex was when Robert La Tourneaux outed him in an interview as one of his married closeted lovers. But La Tourneaux did like to tell tales, so who knows how credible he was.

by Anonymousreply 127February 17, 2014 3:55 PM

Tom Jones is nothing but 110% straight. God, you guys are insane.

by Anonymousreply 128February 17, 2014 3:59 PM

La Tourneaux also supposedly had a long-time fling with Frank Gifford, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 129February 17, 2014 4:04 PM

Frank Gifford -- another womanizer.

by Anonymousreply 130February 17, 2014 4:11 PM

It doesn't matter if i were bi. Now i'm just old, neither bi, gay, or straight. I need to prepare my suitcase for the afterlife now. Stop talking.

by Anonymousreply 131February 17, 2014 4:14 PM

Lana Wood is, at best, an unreliable source of information. After Natalie died, Lana gathered up armloads of her clothes to sell at a consignment shop in the Valley. Natalie's lingerie was actually hanging in the window!

Lana (who'd bragged, "I got the t*ts, Nat got the brains") never stopped noodging her sister and BIL for money and for acting jobs. At one point, Natalie exploded, "Why does everyone have to be an actress?!? Why can't [Lana] just sell stockings for a living?"

So whatever sisterly love, grief, etc., that Lana may be spewing to RJ's detriment, while her sister was alive, she and RJ tried to be classy, tried to keep their disputes out of the press, and tried to help Nat & Lana's ailing mother and Lana AND Lana's daughter without being unduly taken advantage of. Lana is a first-class pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 132February 17, 2014 4:26 PM

Tom Jones or Lou Christie never had to pay anyone to blow them. I worked with both of them. Very large guys. I know a girl who stole Lou's Jock Strap. Heee, Heeee

by Anonymousreply 133February 17, 2014 4:35 PM

"Tom Jones or Lou Christie never had to pay anyone to blow them."

ROFLMAO. Many famous, very desirable guys (gay and straight) use hookers. Some guys want something "discreet" because they are married and/or closeted and others just like the thrill of having someone who will do whatever you pay them to do, without letting their own needs get in the way.

by Anonymousreply 134February 17, 2014 5:00 PM

Yeah, "many." But not these guys.

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2014 6:27 PM

"But not these guys"

ROFLMAO. How would you know? Did you have 24/7 surveillance on them?

by Anonymousreply 136February 17, 2014 7:35 PM

Natalie and Lana definitely had a love/hate relationship over the years, but had she lived, Natalie would have been kinder to Lana than RJ has been, especially when Lana's daughter, Evan, was so ill with cancer and had no health insurance.

As for the clothes, Natalie left all of her clothing to Lana in her will. RJ wanted the furs for their daughters and wrote Lana a check for them. There were literally truck loads of clothing involved, so yes, Lana did sell a number of items to a consignment shop.

by Anonymousreply 137February 17, 2014 7:37 PM

What was Lana supposed to do with Natalie's clothes, donate them to Debbie's museum?

by Anonymousreply 138February 17, 2014 10:12 PM

I doubt the rumors, or at least the "she caught him" ones. Women almost never take a man back when she finds out he's bi nowadays. Now considering we're talking about a stunning actress and an even more conservative time, not a chance Natalie would have gone back with him if she caught Wagner with a man.

by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2014 10:21 PM

He seemed to me, to be the perpetual male starlet. He did have a bland appeal to me. Then I saw him in "All The Fine Cannibals", and he had, "gasp" , a bulge. If I had blinked, I'd have missed it.

Read somewhere that he was involved in a murder earlier in his life, but that his rich parents got him out of it. Can't believe this until I see more evidence. It does bother me, however; so I'd like to see the rumor refuted, with the real story behind the incident, revealed.

by Anonymousreply 140February 17, 2014 10:26 PM

His 2 short scenes as the shy and then shell-shocked soldier in With a Song in My Heart make for one of the most memorable debuts in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 141February 17, 2014 10:31 PM

r128, how would you know? Are you in his bedroom every night? How do you know what he likes to do?

by Anonymousreply 142February 17, 2014 11:08 PM

R140, what the hell are you talking about? Wagner was involved in another murder earlier in his life? Where is your facts?

by Anonymousreply 143February 18, 2014 10:59 AM

Hey idiot, he said he had none. He'd like to know more, if there is more.

by Anonymousreply 144February 18, 2014 8:30 PM

Maybe he was bisexual, but i know one thing for sure:He truly loved Natalie. You don't get married twice to a woman you don't love. He believed in that marriage. He truly wanted this marriage to work out, i kind of feel sorry for his tragedy. He got despaired and he lost her. It was an accident. It was not a murder. He was too angry and too drunk too realize that he should have called earlier for help. He realized that later. But it was too late.

I have read his autobiography and i can say that he seems sincere when he writes about Natalie.

The photo below is pretty shocking...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 24, 2014 7:05 PM

I had a lengthy fling with a guy who traveled in LA circles. RJ hit on my (admittedly gorgeous, tall, muscular) friend in an elevator heading to an awards show. He actually said, "I hope I'm not making you uncomfortable standing so close to you" and Jill St. John was right there with him.

by Anonymousreply 146February 24, 2014 7:44 PM

R146, maybe your friend thinks that every remark he receives has a sexual connotation. No wonder why! He seems so narcissistic!

If what he told you is true, i don't think that Wagner meant something sexual by making that comment. On the contrary, to me, it seemed that he was joking! Isn't that obvious? What the hell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 24, 2014 8:26 PM

Wagner has a new book about to be published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 26, 2014 7:55 PM

Yummy news R148, i have no idea! I'm looking forward to read that. Thanks for sharing baby. :)

by Anonymousreply 149February 27, 2014 11:50 AM

Anyone ever see any photos of Robert Wagner in Dragner?

He must have been very pretty when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 150February 27, 2014 3:08 PM

Yes, R150, i mean yes Eddie Muprhy! Wagner was an absolute hunk when he was young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 27, 2014 5:34 PM

From looking at that pic, could he have had a nose job? He looks a little like Matt Damon in the pic.

by Anonymousreply 152February 27, 2014 5:59 PM

Nose job? Why do you say that? I don't think so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153February 27, 2014 7:41 PM

Of course, you should know that Robert Wagner played with Steve McQueen in 'The War Lover'(1962). The funny thing is that McQueen liked Wagner and i find it funny, because Steve was always extremely competitive with other men. They did get along very well, although Steve was very self-conscious about his height, but as i understood Wagner was a very likeable ans friendly type. In a Steve McQueen biography it is written that one of the reasons that McQueen didn't sleep with Natalie Wood earlier (though Natalie made a pass on him) was Wagner. He really liked him, so he couldn't do that, although he had the chance. However, it is implied that Steve maybe slept with Natalie Wood some years later when Wagner was happily married to another woman.

Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner in 1974. 'The Towering Inferno' was the second and last time that Wagner appeared in a movie with McQueen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 27, 2014 8:09 PM

Yes, maybe, r147, but no. He in fact demonstrated how close Robert Wagner was to him in the elevator and did a perfect impersonation of his voice and how he said what he said. He said it seductively.

He found the whole thing funny, but that's the way it happened.

by Anonymousreply 155February 27, 2014 8:28 PM

It's possible that he was bi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 1, 2016 11:45 AM

Robert Wagner and his wife Jill St. John stand outside of Nello's restaraunt January 25, 2003 in New York City. Ew...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 1, 2016 11:47 AM

Any more recent photos of Jill since the above in 2003? It's 13 years later and she must be at least 70 now.

by Anonymousreply 158June 1, 2016 8:48 PM

I find it amusing when people who don't know him refer to him as RJ.

Just like anonymous fans referring to Lauren Bacall as Betty.

It sounds so silly. You don't know them. They didn't ask you to call them that. Stop pretending to be their friends.

by Anonymousreply 159June 1, 2016 8:54 PM

RJ was absolutely scrumptious in those Fox early-mid 1950s films like With a Song in My Heart, Stars and Stripes Forever (with Clifton Webb as JP Sousa) and my personal fave Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, in which he plays a studly Greek fisherman (with a perm or a wig---I can't remember).

Check out his appearance on What's My Line? on youtube doing the celeb impersonations to disguise his voice. He's adorable and hilarious.

He had a mega-watt smile and unbelievable charisma when in his early 20s but it quickly softened and sagged and he morphed into nothing special before the 1960s were over. Warren Beatty did his type so much better and with an edge RJ could never muster.

by Anonymousreply 160June 1, 2016 8:55 PM

I knew him slightly in the 1970s. I would say that he was straight, but like most actors, craved attention. He would attend gay parties if friends were the hosts, and he would sometimes disappear into the bedroom for a few minutes. However, as far as I know it was never more than receiving oral.

by Anonymousreply 161June 1, 2016 9:13 PM

Clark Gable (or Cheaters fame) is a dead ringer for Jeffrey Hunter, eriely so.

by Anonymousreply 162June 1, 2016 9:41 PM

First Mark Goddard and now Nick Adams. Two sexy blasts from the past. So Nick Adams was gay? wow.

by Anonymousreply 163June 1, 2016 10:43 PM

[quote] They didn't ask you to call them that. Stop pretending to be their friends.

R159 thinks that Betty and RJ are here with us and we're all having a conversation together.

by Anonymousreply 164June 3, 2016 1:32 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2019 9:25 PM

He may have had a pretty face but he had a concave chest and no personality.

He never "acted" real characters and he had even less acting skills than the effete David Niven.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2019 9:34 PM

As if any DLer considers Betty Perske a friend!

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2019 10:31 PM

Wagner was one of Henry Willsons clients.....but Henry had a hands off policy on Wagner as he knew Wagners family was wealthy old california money. My hunch is Wagner liked guys on the side. I dont think he had anything to do with N Woods death. She had a drinking problem that was pretty severe as did Wagner and combine that situation with being on a boat which she didnt really like, or want to be on in the first place, plus being deathly afraid of water........it was accidental drowning.....get over it.

As to Wagner the only thing I actually know first hand is when I was living in LA in the mid 80s a friend of mine was in a car accident on ventura blvd in studio city and the first car behind the one my friend was in who was involved in an accident with another car was........Robert Wagners limo. Wagner was in the backseat and he got out and checked on the my friend and the other party and was extremely solicitis and polite. Fortunately nobody was hurt beyond cuts and bruises. So I could easily see Wagner having a reputation for being out of the ordinary nice

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2019 11:40 PM

R168 do you think Henry Wilson ever had sex with Brian Donlevy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 22, 2019 11:33 PM

What film producer would ever decide to cast Robert Wagner and Spencer Tracy as BROTHERS, when they were at least 40 years apart in age? That has to be the single most ridiculous piece of casting I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 170November 23, 2019 1:07 AM

Jill Sr John is 79!

by Anonymousreply 171November 23, 2019 9:25 AM

Well, R170, there was a 36-year gap between my oldest son and youngest son!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 23, 2019 1:23 PM

It sounds like a lot of guys mentored him. I hope they used lube.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2019 1:35 PM

Clifton Webb lived with his mother until she died age 91. Noel Coward said, "It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71".

by Anonymousreply 174November 23, 2019 1:36 PM

I thought she was 12 when she did Come Blow your Horn.

by Anonymousreply 175November 23, 2019 11:00 PM

Christopher Walken is hilarious and charming even if he had an off-beat look. Women are highly susceptible to charm. Even if Walken is bi, it's my guess Wagner was jealous of the camaraderie between Nat and Walken, and that is what the argument on the boat was about.

by Anonymousreply 176November 24, 2019 1:13 AM

As a kid, I thought he was gorgeous as Prince Valiant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 24, 2019 1:24 AM

Very pert haircut, r177.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178November 24, 2019 1:30 AM

R177 In Technicolor, no less, and co-starring James Mason and Janet Leigh. A must-see!

by Anonymousreply 179November 24, 2019 2:20 AM

Apparently, the film didn't recoup its production costs. From Wikipedia...

[quote]Wagner had his hair cut to match that in the comic strip. The actor later joked, "Dean Martin passed me on the lot and thought I was Jane Wyman."

[quote] John McCarten of The New Yorker wrote in a negative review of the film that "as it flounders about, it cuts some unintentionally comic capers that might amuse you if you are feeling amiable ... Prince Valiant is played by Robert Wagner, who reads his lines in a vacant monotone and wears a long Dutch bob and a jerkin with the skittish air of a man trying to be funny in a lady's hat."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 24, 2019 5:28 AM

Yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 24, 2019 3:37 PM

The whole film is like a cheap echo of The Adventures of Robin Hood. Parts of it look like the Warner Ranch in Calabasas, where they shot the 1938 classic. And unlike Flynn', his character grudgingly tolerates his love interest, who he mostly shoves out of the way. He seems more at home wrestling with half-naked Vikings or collapsing in his mother's arms. He must have sucked major studio cock to get this role because I can't see how he'd have passed a screen test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 24, 2019 4:55 PM

I always understood that Jeffrey Hunter’s wife wanted him out of STAR TREK because she had movie aspirations for him. Like a stage mother, she steered him away from television because she thought he “could do so much better.” I don’t believe that Roddenberry would have let him go if Mrs. Hunter hadn’t been such a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 183January 8, 2021 7:53 AM

In the 70’s I managed a Beverly Hills art gallery. The morning after Natalie’s death I was busy hanging a painting and turned to be face to face with Christopher Walken. He was strangely friendly considering the tragedy. It has haunted me for many years being outwardly propositioned by him, especially after his last 24 hrs.

by Anonymousreply 184January 8, 2021 9:04 AM

Most of H wood has known for decades of mr wagner's dalliances with men.....get real.....if only u knew how many male stars are gay/bi you would flip ur wigs girls...

by Anonymousreply 185January 8, 2021 10:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!