Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

20 Feet From Stardom

Just saw this tonight and it was the DAMN deal.

It was in theaters last spring, I think - nominated for an Oscar and just out on video.

Lisa Fischer is fucking AM-AZ-ING.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2019 5:44 AM

"Fucking AM-AZ-ING" doesn't begin to describe the magic that is Lisa Fischer. Darlene Love is a national treasure. Merry Clayton changed music. But Lisa. Words fail.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2014 2:21 AM

This film was on my 2013 Top 10 list.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2014 2:28 AM

I missed it in the cinema - it didn't play for long. Looks really good, though.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2014 7:11 AM

They showed a bunch of people - Janice Pendarvis, who I remember from early solo Sting videos, Darlene and Merry, a woman named Claudia Lennear (apparently with the Stones and possibly an ex lover of Micks) and Tata Vega, who I knew from being the voice that sings Shug's part in "The Color Purple" film.

They also showed Patti Austin, who (a) looks fabulous and (b) I wouldn't have quite put into the category of stuck behind the lead, because she's had some success on her own.

Surprised Martha Wash was left out, but her story is a bit different - and probably could merit a documentary of its own!

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2014 3:01 PM

the best film about music in a LONG time

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2014 3:12 PM

I would've loved to see Helen Terry from Culture Love. Granted, she probably don't have the history of others but truly one of the best voices I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2014 3:33 PM

Lisa is the BOMB!

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2014 12:36 AM

Why is no one recording Lisa Fischer? Why?

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2014 1:03 AM

Have loved Clayton's albums since they were released.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2014 1:09 AM

The film is OUTSTANDING! Saw "20 Feet" and then caught Darlene Love's show at BBKings, it truly was wonderful! Took friends to see the documentary, the Director was present and Lisa Fischer performed acapella. Ms Fischer shared that her second album is in the works and that she shortly will be returning to tour wtth Mick Jagger.

"Twenty Feet" shot up the list and is now is a good position to win the Oscar. If this film does win, many lives will be changed at most and at the very least lifetimes lived in the shadows will be recognized for genius. It is beautiful, dont miss it!

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2014 1:54 AM

Trying to figure out what song Merry was singing when they showed her trying her solo career in the 70s. I want to get her solo albums.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2014 5:38 PM

I absolutely loved this documentary. Amazing. R11, Merry was singing Neil Young's "Southern Man" in the film, which was a nice counterpoint to "Sweet Home Alabama."

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2014 6:07 PM

I loved this film. Totally crushing on Lisa Fischer. Judith Hill was a bit bland, compared to the others. She has singing talent but she's missing star quality.

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2014 7:02 PM

Lisa Fischer with Chris Botti and one hell of a band. She is a bad ass wonder.

The Look of Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2014 10:45 PM

Great documentary. I'm just pissed Lisa passed on a solo career after her first album. She should be a major star but prefers being in the background.

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2014 10:50 PM

I loved this film and am thrilled it's coming around for a second time in the theaters. I love to watch old performances on YouTube and it's fun to recognize some of these incredible artists. They show up in a few old David Bowie performances.

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2014 11:02 PM

Where were you cunts when I posted about this last April?

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2014 11:23 PM

Some of us have known about Lisa Fischer for 30 years. I am glad this documentary gives her new cred, but she didn't need it in the music industry. It is one rough business, and she has been mostly doing what she wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2014 1:04 AM

Lisa won a Grammy back when, tied with Patti Labelle. They both loved Luther - Patti was his idol and friend, Lisa sang behind him and was championed by him. Fischer could have had a much more prestigious career in some ways, but she has been more than a success.

She was is and will be the bomb, but most of the people who have 'discovered' her haven't followed the great R&B singers, male or female.

The great Tina Turner turned the stage over to Lisa on her final tour. In a world of cynical collaborations, Lisa has been 20 feet behind many singers, but the Stones, Tina, and Luther made sure she got out front. Even Patti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2014 2:17 AM

Just saw this...LOVED it! Great music, great singers. How'd you like to sitting around the table after Thanksgiving dinner with the Waters Family, and they start doing their thing. Bliss!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2014 12:26 AM

Lisa Fischer's How Can I Ease the Pain is R&B perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2014 12:34 AM

So how is it that these B-team singers are soooo much better than they people they support and yet the Britney Spears of the world are headlining Vegas? Something is very, very wrong.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2014 12:51 AM

I just saw this documentary last night and was blown away by it.

[quote]I'm just pissed Lisa passed on a solo career after her first album. She should be a major star but prefers being in the background.

Lisa makes it clear that after her first album that her label, didn't know what to do with her. Lisa herself admitted to not know where to position herself. And her second album just took too long and the window of opportunity closed on her solo album.

They movie makes the point that all of these women at some point wanted a solo career. All of them tried, but it just didn't happen for them unfortunately.

Merry Clayton describing her Gimme Shelter session with the Rolling Stones rocked me. When I heard her vocals on that song I got chills and was moved to tears it was so emotionally raw; absolutely nothing like anything we hear now.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2014 12:21 AM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Merry Clayton Gimme Shelter vocals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2014 12:25 AM

Is this on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2014 12:31 AM

Merry Clayton used to be on Cagney & Lacey as the third female cop in the shop.

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2014 12:33 AM

Never mind. I checked, it is!

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2014 12:36 AM

[quote]So how is it that these B-team singers are soooo much better than they people they support and yet the Britney Spears of the world are headlining Vegas? Something is very, very wrong.

As Sting says in the docu, nothing about it is fair. The music business is a business. It's all about a product. Culture doesn't value amazing vocalists anymore, we want entertainers. Madonna wasn't the first artist to prove this but she was the first to gain mega-stardom based on sheer will to succeed and very limited vocal ability.

You have to be a rare breed of person to want mega-stardom and celebrity. And being able to blow the roof off vocally doesn't always line up with the ability to promote yourself.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2014 12:41 AM

Look at Shania Twain.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2014 12:46 AM

Darlene Love performed in the last season of the Palm Springs Follies, which I saw for the first time this May.

Darlene was amazing. So was the rest of the cast. I thought it would be lame, but these older entertainers were just superb. There was one woman in her eighties...and still hoofing!

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2014 12:54 AM

Darlene Love originated the role of the gym teacher in Carrie; The Musical on broadway

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2014 12:56 AM

I'm watching it now. I'm a musician and am really enjoying it! Glad it's on netflix streaming.

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2014 3:06 AM

I loved this film

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2014 4:09 AM

Wikipedia claims that merry Clayton miscarried directly after doing that fateful "gimme shelter" session. Can this be true?

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2014 4:13 AM

I just saw the film at the Mendocino Film Festival on Friday, May 30th. Claudia Linnear was there, very impressive intelligent woman....outrageous singer.

This is a great film if you get a chance to see it!

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2014 4:13 AM

Interesting appearance and remarks from Susaye Green the last of the Supremes.

On a separate note, IIRC Merry Clayton aspired to be a member of the post Ross Supremes and sought the gig when others left. She was nixed because she "did not have the look".

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2014 11:28 PM

I saw it within the past month after my sister raved about it, and it was wonderful. Collectively, the stories of these amazing performers was another example of how the less talented and less deserving are often more fortunate and successful -- in all areas of life -- than those who truly have the goods.

Yes, Sting did acknowledge that the industry is unfair. However, I do not believe that the inability to promote themselves kept these singers from having breakout solo careers -- at least, not entirely. After all, that is the job of managers, record companies, and the like.

Racism -- touched upon in the doc -- was a factor, particularly in the 50s, 60s, and even into the 70s. Also, marketability is a huge factor. In general, during their era (and even now) mainstream audiences didn't want to see or purchase the music of people who resemble the powerhouses in the doc. The Arethas, Luthers, Pattis, and Gladyses were the exceptions -- and even then, they were almost always stuck in limited, niche markets.

Marketability is just as important today. In fact, many say it is even worse these days because the 21st century entertainment culture is more about being young and beautiful than ever before. That is why I'm curious about what will happen with Judith Hill's career (I was glad that she was included in the doc to provide a younger, contemporary compliment and contrast to the greats who were featured). She's young, beautiful, and immensely talented; but, who will champion her, how will she be positioned, and how good (i.e., marketable) will her product be?

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2014 12:05 AM

Want to see a really good movie? Wes Anderson's Hotel Budapest. Absolutely stunning. Acting is sensational. Fantastic story, plus, George Clooney...unbilled,

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2014 12:14 AM

Judith Hill was on The Voice and was eliminated surprisingly early. I think it was because she didn't project much personality. She's strikingly beautiful and a very talented singer but just seemed devoid of memorable personality.

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2014 2:59 AM

I agree with R40. Star power plays a major part in the success of one's career. And I am not talking about ambition or talent. There has to be something more, the person has to have a certain energy, that draws us in. Judith Hill does not have it. When watching the documentary, she falls flat. She comes across as a hard worker and talented, but that's not entertaining or engaging.

[quote]That is why I'm curious about what will happen with Judith Hill's career

And it's not necessarily racist, because everyone fills a space in the industry, but Judith Hill won't happen because there is already Alecia Keys.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2014 3:56 PM

I just watched this again for the first time since its original release. Still incredibly powerful. Does anyone know where all the singers featured are these days? Darlene Love seems to still be going strong with lots of touring. Lisa appears to have retired from singing with The Stones -- I suppose, eventually, Gimme Shelter just becomes too much.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2019 5:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!