Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've accomplished nothing with my life

I have nothing to show for the past 40 years. And I don't think I'm alone. Who else has had the misfortune to squander four decades of life, and have fallen on the realization that if they died today, no one would notice, or care?

by Anonymousreply 140March 26, 2018 5:42 AM

Me too, plus crushing student loan debt.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2014 12:28 AM

More or less the same here.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2014 12:29 AM

Sorry to hear that, R1 and R2. I didn't think I was alone.

If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself to not drop out of HS, not to quit my first job and not to buy my first car. After doing those three things, is when my life started to go to shit.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2014 12:38 AM

Once you give up the myth that life has to mean something, it becomes quite enjoyable. Life just is. Think of the natural disasters you read about in other parts of the world that kill thousands of people in an instant. Your life is no more precious or important than theirs. Enjoy everything you have. It's a gift and not a permanent one.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2014 12:45 AM

Why did you DO that? Success, education, achievement were DRILLED into me as a child. My family was an overachieving, beautiful, smart family. Dysfunctional as hell but I was thrown into that environment from birth. Did you come from a family that didn't give a shit? A blue collar family? Were you the n'er do well in the family? The black sheep? What kind of socialization did you have? People who squander their lives usually have had no direction, no guidance, no support. And it's not too late.

MAKE THE NEXT FORTY YEARS COUNT!

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2014 1:11 AM

What does it matter if nobody misses you when you're gone, OP? People doing historical research may come across things I've written in books but it doesn't matter if they know that I'm dead or alive. It doesn't matter if they don't know my name. If I give someone a helping hand tomorrow, that counts more than if they'll remember me when I'm gone. Show someone some kindness this week. That's what's important.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2014 2:01 AM

When you're dead do you really want people to feel bad? They should be out living their own lives. All that matters is that you make yourself happy with how you live, not anyone else. My fear is that your claim, that you've accomplished nothing, is based on what other people would call "success" or "value." But what they value wasn't really what you value deep down, is it? I think you're dancing around the issue of what you really want out of life. If you face it, you'll find you're not as far off from what you want to accomplish as you think.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2014 2:07 AM

Well, at least you managed to scrape together $18. That's an accomplishment!

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2014 2:16 AM

It all goes so fast... so fast.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2014 2:24 AM

I condole you op.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2014 2:30 AM

I've squandered 3 decades...hoping to turn it around starting this year.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2014 2:42 AM

What is it that you want? To win the Nobel Peace Prize? Just live your life with integrity and be a generally kind person. That is a great accomplishment that anyone would want to look back on proudly.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2014 2:57 AM

I wanted to have as much fun as possible, that was my most important goal. I don't regret it but the fun is over.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2014 3:05 AM

Hey R6, I like you.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2014 3:08 AM

OP, I've got you beat by 10 years. I've squandered 50 years. Listen to (R4) he is wise.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2014 3:12 AM

Have you been happy? Did you enjoy moments of life? Did you ever re-enact the opening of The Sound of Music while wearing a bath towel wrapped on your head?

Life is not about building a resume; it's about appreciating the moments you have.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2014 3:35 AM

Some people try to do what everyone expects them to do...life is still a crap shoot. Just be who you are and if you feel like changing, change.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2014 3:50 AM

Factoid 1: 99.99% of all species that ever existed are extinct and forgotten. What did they accomplish?

Factoid 2: 6.5% of all people ever born are alive today. The other 93.5% are almost all forgotten. What did they accomplish? Even those who are remembered only exist in the field of fiction called "history." Most so-called famous and successful people did incredible amounts of harm to others.

I concur with most of the previous posters. "Accomplishment" and "wasting time" are illusions that dies with the individual. If you lived a life that did little or no harm to others, then you've lived a sucessful life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2014 6:20 AM

Could ya' toss me a coupla' bottles of water before you off yourself?

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2014 1:44 PM

OP I could have wrote your post. It is funny because i am afraid that I have had this idea constantly on my mind for the past year.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2014 1:50 PM

what r4 said

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2014 2:12 PM

[quote] I could have wrote your post.

Well, we do know one thing that you haven't accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2014 2:17 PM

Count me in as well, OP.

I'm 37 and have accomplished nothing.

I have a shitty job, actually two shitty jobs and am swimming in debt. Not credit cards, etc.. Student loan debt. I have no credit cards, only 3 car payments left but the default on my student loans is killing me. I have 25% of my paychecks garnished by the Feds for going to college and trying to better myself.

I live paycheck to paycheck and can barely make ends meet.

Forget savings. Fuck, I can't even afford to invest in a 401K.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2014 2:22 PM

OP, we would welcome you. How do you feel about flying?

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2014 2:32 PM

I have a cunty aunt who told my sister I would "never amount to anything".

I was 35 at the time; I'm 40 now. That comment stung horribly. It still does. Sad thing is, I haven't done a lot to disprove it.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2014 2:34 PM

I have never wanted any responsibility. At all. I knew I wanted a job that was routine and easy. I do not like to test myself, set goals, or excel in any way. My granfather was rich, my father was a doctor, all my cousins went to Ivy League schools. I've a wide circle of friends from millionaires to those about to go under at any moment, and I appreciate all of them. I've found millionaires need more help than those on disability.

There are outer journeys and inner journeys. I used to feel inadequate because I didn't care to accomplish much. It was all made worse because of what I was told was my "intellect" and the fact that I turned down family offers of employment (I couldn't see myself designing HVAC for churches, nor could I see myself slaving away as a corporate lawyer or working in the hotel business). Yet, I'm kind of a natural philospher (unread) and the mysteries of life still amaze me. I'm a loner, but not necessarily an introvert. I'm opinionated, respected and communicative, and not intimidated by those who others might fear.

If, at the end of your life, or even in the middle of it, you find yourself with one or two good friends, a roof over your head, and groceries in the cupboard, you've done well. Do not ever measure yourself by other's success. Measure yourself by how people feel about you and if you've done some good in your lifetime.

I think you'll be surprised at some point in your life that the definition of "success" seems different than it once did.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2014 2:39 PM

Life is what you make it. What matters to YOU may not matter to the next guy. If you want to create your own personal illusions that your life is all about "making a difference" or leaving a legacy or that you "matter more" and have some sort of destiny, then who the fuck is it for anyone ELSE to argue that? That is YOUR belief system and you are entitled to it.

In the end, I think kindness and compassion for others is perhaps the MOST important. "If you can't help someone, at least don't hurt him." We are all only visitors here.

We are what we think we are. We create our own reality.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2014 2:46 PM

This school loan business...why didn't your parents tell you that borrowing thousands of dollars is a bad idea?

Warn the next generation.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2014 2:47 PM

R26 sounds like a most interesting chap and one with whom it would be nice to philosophize over a brandy!

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2014 2:53 PM

My motto is do whatever the hell you want in life and don't give a damn what anyone thinks. In as little as no time after your death, no one will have known who you were or what you did or didn't accomplish. Enjoy life and stop worrying about what others think.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2014 3:11 PM

Who says you have to accomplish anything? It's quite possible you are here to simply exist. Stop reading Kipling.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2014 3:14 PM

I thought we were simply suppose to survive.

In my last life I probably just harvested rice...I hope I didn't fuck my daughter.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2014 3:30 PM

Dear R5,

Low self-esteem and no real direction. I've inherited enough money to live okay, but not grandly. Folks say I'm very bright (and I suppose I am), and I don't think I'm all that bad looking (average). Somehow, I've just never got my act together, although in a way I'm pleased that I opted out of the office-politics rat race early. I do try not to dwell on what "might've been" as much as possible; I'm one of those "The Secret" type folks who believes almost anything's possible, just doesn't seem to be working for me.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2014 4:37 PM

r31 I've never Kipled, what's it like?

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2014 7:16 PM

How do you define "nothing"?

I know I've helped out people many times in my life in many ways. That makes me pleased.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2014 8:18 PM

I'm happy with the choices I've made. Those dicks weren't going to suck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2014 9:02 PM

Well they could have, but it would have been awkward for them R36.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2014 9:56 PM

We seem to have at least one post a month of this very topic.

Are you all the same person, or is one person just using DL as therapy?

(Not really trying to be shitty, just curious.)

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2014 10:21 PM

Well OP, we're not all going to be remembered for eternity like Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2014 1:00 AM

OP, the purpose of life is not necessarily to just be noticed by others through your accomplishments.

Certainly only a few or minority of people in the world are noticed for accomplishing anything out of the ordinary.

Where did you get the idea that most people accomplish something that gets noticed by others?

The vast majority of people in the world are average and ordinary, and they are not living any type of life or accomplishing anything that is particularly special or important or other than humdrum.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2014 2:37 AM

Maybe the OP is sort of feeling like a 'nothing' in the world.

The feeling being feeling like a nothing in the world rather than feeling that one has not accomplished much or anything.

I've been feeling like a nothing in the world off and on lately.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2014 3:52 AM

meant to type:

The feeling is one of feeling like a 'nothing' in the world rather than feeling that one has not accomplished much or accomplished anything.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2014 3:59 AM

Who, R39?

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2014 3:03 PM

I think R42 has zeroed in on my issues. Waking up every morning knowing I'm not essential to the functioning of society can be heartbreaking sometimes.

When both my patents have died, I really don't know what I'll do with myself everyday. And waking up every morning for the next 40 years, being unneeded and being useless is a little bit scary.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2014 3:07 PM

R45:[quote]When both my patents have died, I really don't know what I'll do with myself everyday.

Invent something else.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2014 3:20 PM

Honey, you're too hard on yourself! You've accomplished being a gay man living in what is still, by and large, a cruel world.

Pace Stephen Sondheim: "(you're) still here!

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2014 4:20 PM

[quote] Waking up every morning knowing I'm not essential to the functioning of society can be heartbreaking sometimes.

Just being a peaceful presence on this planet is your contribution. Think of all the spiritual masters that are living in complete solitude in the mountains. All they are doing is being peaceful and intune with nature. And their presence radiates outward and bathes the plants and animals in a healing, uplifting energy.

To all the people in this thread who think they "don't matter" because they don't fit into a paradigm that is generally celebrated in magazines and other media -- you matter more than you know. Try to allow yourself to love and accept yourself exactly as you are and know that, in doing so, you are helping everyone.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2014 4:32 PM

There is a lot of wisdom in this thread. Define "accomplish." I don't have much family, my job is mostly menial tasks, but I do help people every day and though I will not be remembered by history or mourned by many, I feel good about my life.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2014 4:38 PM

Read R4 over and over and over again.

Accept the fact that you are an ordinary person, not Stellar, not Magical, not Special. Stellar, magical and special equal narcissism. If you work, pay taxes and don't cheat people then you are the absolute backbone of civilization.

What you focus your attention on grows, if you are always immersed in self pity over who you are not and what you don't have then you will see more and more of that. Self pity sucks, it is addictive and it wastes your life. Want an accomplishment? Everyday resolve to treat yourself and others with respect, that's something to be proud of and it will change your life and the lives you encounter.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2014 4:59 PM

My partner and I have moved to the country from NYC and have some steady clients. We work from home and have an income that supports us and provides for savings.

Our move to the county has completely changes us.

We now have zero interest in acquiring the junk of life. We are more connected to people than we ever were in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2014 5:17 PM

I love you, R46.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2014 5:22 PM

OP, you matter.

Yes, we live in a culture that shines the brightest light on those who are outwardly 'successful' (famous and/or earning a lot of $$$$), 'attractive' (if you fit into a certain aesthetic category), or "unique' (some amazing talent or personality trait that most others don't possess).

But, guess what, most of us are not going to be icons of our time. But that doesn't mean we are chopped liver. Somewhere along the way, a lot of us got brainwashed into thinking that they are either 'all or nothing', i.e., if you're not "#1" who walks out with the Oscar or the Super Bowl title than you 'failed'. Not true.

This is very cheesy but it's the truest thing I know: What matters is love and kindness. Period.

The old cliche of "People won't remember what you did, but they will remember how you made them feel" is true. At the end of the day, your acts of everyday kindness are what keeps the world upright. All of those tiny, momentary acts of kindness (smiling at someone, opening the door for an older person, calling a sick friend to cheer them up, sending a donation to a food bank or animal shelter, etc) matters.

I went to a funeral recently of a VERY successful business person and community leader who, frankly, was a lifelong jerk. The church was full but mostly out of professional or social courtesy. This person left no real legacy except a lot of memories of being an entitled, rude diva who treated others in a dismissive or outright rude way...

If you get trapped into the endless loop of not feeling 'enough' then you will cheat yourself and others of a really meaningful existence. You are smarter and stronger than your doubts. The next time you feel like a failure, go out and do one random act of kindness however small and something tiny will shift inside of you. It takes practice and doesn't come overnight, but you can shift your perspective of yourself into something truly meaningful.

(Yea, I know, 'Mary! Get a blog!")

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2014 5:41 PM

That may be Caroline, but do you really think the dolphin slaughter was the cause to choose to change your image?

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2014 5:45 PM

R5, being from a blue collar family does NOT equate underachievement.

Both my parents worked in the timber industry. On the side, my dad also was a pilot and obtained many certifications. Both of their families were definitely blue collar and some family members were your typical low-achieving hillbillies. Both of my parents took education and achievement seriously, but didn't push my brother and I. Neither of us turned out to be losers. I am the first in my family to obtain a Masters degree. I've also started my own business. My brother has a great job with the government. This talk about blue collar families not taking achievement seriously is hogwash. I grew up with many kids from blue collar families who are smart, articulate, and successful.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2014 5:54 PM

A friend asked me a few years ago what was on my "bucket list" of things to do before I died and I thought about it and realized I'd already done them all.

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2014 5:58 PM

[quote] Both of my parents took education and achievement seriously, but didn't push my brother and I.

Not in the English department, at least.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2014 7:29 PM

In the last second of your life OP, you will realize none of it fucking mattered anyway and the so called achievements of mankind are useless in the eye of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2014 7:35 PM

Late 40s birthday today for me. I won't specify the number.

I work at a big box store, stocking shelves for $9 an hour, 30 hours a week so no benefits. People are embarrassed for me when they find out what I do. And of course, it's stocking shelves at a store. I'm not building a legacy.

But you know what? In the 30ish years I've been "wasting my potential" on this planet, I've had more variety and intensity of experiences than most people can imagine. Professional and otherwise. Love highs, drug highs, work highs, god highs. Shit that would explode hipster heads.

I'm grateful for every painful and joyous moment. Most of them, anyway. I feel lucky to have lived during this slice of human evolution. Experiencing the before and after of cable TV, personal computers, all sorts of cornerstone technology. Going from being fearful to be out even in college to being legally married in 17 states. And more political and cultural crap than I can remember.

My life will mean nothing, be completely lost and forgotten in the grand plan within 20 years of my death.

I'm okay with that. I'm okay with now.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2014 7:47 PM

Don't be so hard on yourselves. Being gay in a straight world takes some time to process.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2014 8:00 PM

Unless one has cured a dread disease, freed people from oppression, or produced seminal art that will endure few of us will have "really mattered".

Even if you are in the midst of a loving and appreciative circle of family and friends, your memory will only last as long as they all live. Eventually we all are forgotten. It is the way of things.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2014 8:14 PM

if some little punk decides to lay some Dead Poets Society crap on me on my deathbed I will rise up and take him with me.

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2014 8:19 PM

I love R62.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2014 8:25 PM

[quote]This day I completed my thirty first year, and conceived that I had in all human probability now existed about half the period which I am to remain in this Sublunary world. I reflected that I had as yet done but little, very little indeed, to further the hapiness of the human race, or to advance the information of the succeeding generation. I viewed with regret the many hours I have spent in indolence, and now soarly feel the want of that information which those hours would have given me had they been judiciously expended. but since they are past and cannot be recalled, I dash from me the gloomy thought and resolved in future, to redouble my exertions and at least indeavour to promote those two primary objects of human existance, by giving them the aid of that portion of talents which nature and fortune have bestoed on me; or in future, to live for mankind, as I have heretofore lived for myself.

And you know who wrote that? Merriwether Lewis, explorer extraordinaire and confirmed melancholic bachelor with a penchant for furs, dandy clothes, colon-cleansing kits, MARYlike household solutions (when his men were struck by a severe hailstorm...he collected some ice and made punch!)...and perhaps an unrequited crush on William Clark?

Sometimes as gay people we're very hard on ourselves. Ask any married heterosexual with a family and they'll tell you their biggest achievement in life is their offspring. OK sometimes they HAVE to say that, but my point is they have a fairly easy out - and now we do too.

Not every step in our life's journey has to be precious! Just live it. I'm in total agreement with r4 and I think (s)he has definitely shed some light on how to live, making me feel better along the way.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2014 8:36 PM

OP here. Lots of great comments, thoughts and poignant words posted here. I have to be truthful and say that a lot of what I've read has made me feel better about my place in this world.

This morning I went out to shovel my parents driveway; the cute guy I'm crushing on from the apartment next door, chatted with me as I did; came inside and made a nice meal, and enjoyed it with my parents.

Overall, it's been a pretty good day. Having one million dollars in the bank would make it a perfect day, but otherwise, a pretty good day. And I guess that's not so bad after all.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2014 9:02 PM

Glad you're having a good day, OP.

So any chance you and the cute guy next door will make it happen? Is he interested?

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2014 9:08 PM

[quote]So any chance you and the cute guy next door will make it happen?

Most likely not, R66. Even if he were gay, I'm fairly certain he do a lot better than me. Simply put, he's thin and attractive, and I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2014 9:16 PM

And yet, it's so easy to make a difference or leave your mark in this world.

OP or whoever,

Why don't you seriously get involved in a political cause? Gun control, animal rights, whatever--find something you really believe in, find a group of people who also are trying to make a difference, roll up your sleeves and get involved in life. That's how you make a difference.

I know lots of people with a million in the bank (or portfolio): not one of them has time to chat with a handsome neighbor. (Actually, none of them have handsome neighbors.)

Nobody can have the best of every kind of life. If you want leisure time, you won't be a millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2014 9:26 PM

I don't know, R68. Looking out the front window, I see the neighbour across the street shoveling his driveway with his adult sons. He's worth well over $2 million, and chose to keep his shop closed today because of the weather, which meant his sons could stay home too and spend time with their families.

However, my next door neighbour was out of the house at 6:30AM shoveling a path in his driveway so he could get to his job at Walmart.

Having money gives you options that having a minimum wage job does not. Oddly enough, being unemployed gives you the same options as a millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2014 9:46 PM

R69 is interesting: his neighbors include a millionaire and a Walmart employee, and he spells "neighbor" with a "u."

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2014 9:51 PM

R69,

Out of curiosity, what kind of neighborhood do you live in where one neighbor is a Walmart serf and the other a millionaire?

The hardest working person I know is my dad, who is a millionaire. But he's one of those people who sleeps only four hours a night, and spends all of his time working, talking to clients, reading trade mags or newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2014 9:51 PM

OP, if you don't feel like you've accomplished anything with your life then do something about it. Whining on a gossip board won't change things.

by Anonymousreply 71January 25, 2014 10:33 PM

The notion that posting on a gossip board will change things is yours R72, not the OP's

by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2014 10:50 PM

OP the only person your life has to mean something to really, is *you.* ...That's not to say that being a selfish ass is the best way to live life, but if you measure your worth by awards or money or crap or status or anything that takes into account OTHER people's opinions of you, that is a slippery slope.

I love R4 's observation too; although I wouldn't say life is meaningless exactly, I would say it just doesn't have to be PROFOUND and we all aren't Pulitzer winners or Presidents, etc. We don't have to be to matter...the people who matter the most in my life are my friends and family, and none of them are especially rich or famous, and if they happen to be, that's not why they matter to me.

Also, think about this: who won last year's Best Actor Oscar? I watched it...I can't remember. Who was last year's Time Magazine person of the year? Can't remember. If you are comfortable with modest means, a modest job, a simple life and not a lot of drama, what is wrong with that?

We ALL matter to someone, somewhere...even if it's a pet, or someone's driveway we shoveled, or as other posters have pointed out, someone we helped along the way even with something small.

This notion that everything has to be huge and on tv to matter is just phony and stupid.

There are posts on this silly board that have mattered to me more than shit people have said to me in real life. And what poster was thinking as he or she wrote it "I'm going to change someone's life today for the better with this snarky comment"...?

So...just keep on doing what you are doing, be happy with what makes you happy, be a good person and do what you can here and there. And if you have a shitty day, forgive yourself and start fresh in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 73January 25, 2014 10:52 PM

Happy Birthday, r59!!!

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2014 1:04 AM

[quote]and he spells "neighbor" with a "u."

Because I'm Canadian, R70.

[quote]Out of curiosity, what kind of neighborhood do you live in where one neighbor is a Walmart serf and the other a millionaire?

A neighbourhood where the millionaire moved here in 1966 when the subdivision was new, and never left, and where the property next door is a rental property.

As far as your own father goes, I'm sorry that he father works himself to death, rather than spend time with you.

by Anonymousreply 75January 26, 2014 1:04 AM

R76,

Thanks for the response.

I wouldn't say he works himself to death: it's what he enjoys to do. He doesn't really like spending time with me--oh well. :)

by Anonymousreply 76January 26, 2014 1:22 AM

Me? More useless than tits on a boar hog.

by Anonymousreply 77January 26, 2014 2:36 AM

Lovely post from R64.

by Anonymousreply 78January 26, 2014 2:42 AM

yep me too.

wish i never finished high school and college.

waste of time and effort.

i'm broke and futureless.

education gives you nothing without nepotism and wealth from birth.

by Anonymousreply 79January 26, 2014 2:45 AM

Me. Squeezed out 2 puppies but that's hardly an achievement.

by Anonymousreply 80January 26, 2014 2:46 AM

Thank you for this thread, OP. There have been some great, profound posts in here that have brought me a measure of peace with things I didn't think I'd ever be able to accept, and I never would have read them if you hadn't started the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 81January 26, 2014 2:46 AM

Listen to the single called 'Carry On' by a group called Fun.

I'm serious - it will make you feel much better.

And it's a compelling, uplifting piece of music and lyrics.

It says if you're lower than low, pick yourself up, and carry on.

But they say it in a very catchy tune and lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 82January 26, 2014 5:11 AM

OP,

[quote] “Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.” - Joseph Campbell

[quote]“Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open the doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be. If you follow your bliss, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else.”

It's never too late to pursue your dreams, OP. To love a fulfilled life. Don't worry about accomplishing the goal or if your dream of living with fulfillment or feeling whole never comes true, goals are not meant to be met. It's the pursuit, it's the adventure of trying to achieve those dreams and goals, that's all that matters in the end. That "try" will make you feel alive.

[quote]“We're so engaged in doing things to achieve purposes of outer value that we forget the inner value, the rapture that is associated with being alive, is what it is all about.” ― Joseph Campbell

by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2014 3:07 PM

"We're in a freefall into future. We don't know where we're going. Things are changing so fast, and always when you're going through a long tunnel, anxiety comes along. And all you have to do to transform your hell into a paradise is to turn your fall into a voluntary act. It's a very interesting shift of perspective and that's all it is... joyful participation in the sorrows and everything changes.” - Joseph Campbell

by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2014 3:16 PM

To any of you who feel as though you accomplished nothing, if you are blessed with good health, please volunteer at a homeless shelter, low income clinic or hospital, or an animal shelter. You will then, very soon, mean a lot to many.

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2014 9:55 PM

Sometimes, accomplishing a lot and being truly successful in one's field is highly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 86January 28, 2014 3:48 AM

I just got home from having my dog put to sleep. I sat down on the couch and looked at her empty dog bed and realized my life is nothing. No kids, no partner, no job, and now, no friendly face to greet me when I come home. I know it's the grief and it will pass, but right now I'm wondering why I bother to stay alive.

by Anonymousreply 87January 29, 2014 9:29 PM

R88, hey kiddo, sending you hugs and condolences.

When you're ready, there are many friendly faces that would love to greet you at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 88January 29, 2014 10:15 PM

This is for you, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 29, 2014 10:49 PM

Aww, I'm sorry R88. You provided that dog with a happy life, more than many can say. When you feel a bit better, lease consider adopting a dog or puppy. Feeling needed gives purpose.

by Anonymousreply 90January 29, 2014 10:59 PM

Me neither OP, but I don't think you're meant to "accomplish" anything in life. Unless you're born in priviledge, and then you really have no excuse. But most of us are just scraping by.

Not all mean are born equal.

by Anonymousreply 91January 29, 2014 11:04 PM

R89 and R91 Thank you for your kind words. Someday I'll rescue another little one but right now I'm just too heartsick to think about it

by Anonymousreply 92January 29, 2014 11:19 PM

What does it mean, to "accomplish something"? Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 93January 29, 2014 11:59 PM

I'm 46. I need major advice: I got my AS degree when I was 20. I decided recently to go back to school to get my BS degree but since I had D's in a lot of my classes from community college, I had to re-take them. That's taken me 2 years part time and 20k in debt. I am no further along than I was before since I still have the equivalent of an AS degree technically!! Do I cut my losses now or keep going? I still have two fucking years to get off this train and it'll only be a Sociology degree!! Crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 94January 30, 2014 12:40 AM

[quote]I just got home from having my dog put to sleep. I sat down on the couch and looked at her empty dog bed and realized my life is nothing.

Oh, so sorry to hear about your dog! I had to put my 11 year-old greyhound down last week, and I have been inconsolable. I too am single, and live alone pretty far from my family. I have some very nice friends, but my sweet dog was such a source of true companionship and joy. It is very difficult because we are told it isn't that important....It is! Be sad, and know you gave a great pooch a loving home, and were there for him every day. I hope you feel better in time, but let's give it time.

by Anonymousreply 95January 30, 2014 6:12 AM

We are need to learn how to manage our expectations.

by Anonymousreply 96January 30, 2014 1:18 PM

R96 Condolences to you as well. Amazing how much your life revolves around one little dog, isn't it? I went to the kitchen to get breakfast and looked down where her food dish should be and teared up. Don't let anyone tell you it's silly to grieve for your dog, they are just as much a treasured part of your life than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 97January 30, 2014 2:05 PM

Sad about the dogs. I love greyhounds. I didn't realize they had such long lifespans. I live alone, not dating, same old thing like Groundhog Day all week long. My cat died last year (17 years) and I'm waiting to retire to get another pet as I work at 12-14 hour day with the commute. I may not be able to hold out till retirement because lately I've found myself smiling as I watch dogs being walked by where I work.

Question: I know this isn't the right string, but do you leave your pet alone all day? If I got two dogs (or cats) would they be okay together? I'm over 60 and retiring in a few years. But I miss that unconditional love and affection.

by Anonymousreply 98January 30, 2014 2:28 PM

R95, get that degree! If you're almost finished with it, go for it. It's an accomplishment. Don't be apprehensive, just do it and graduate.

by Anonymousreply 99January 30, 2014 3:12 PM

R99 I used to work 12 hours shifts and my dog was fine. Is it fair to them to be alone all day? That's something you'd have to decide.

by Anonymousreply 100January 30, 2014 4:19 PM

R95 if a degree is beneficial in your chosen field of work, then it is worth the cost. With some work, you can track down scholarships available, ask at the financial aid office. Are you filing your FAFSA for federal and state aid?

by Anonymousreply 101January 30, 2014 4:21 PM

Life doesn't have to be about "accomplishment" but it is much better when a life has MEANING.

In concentration camps they used to torture people by making them drag heavy boulders back and forth with no purpose. Human beings need meaning in our lives.

Personally I believe we are here to better ourselves. To learn to be less selfish, more mature, more giving, etc. You can ALWAYS be working on that as long as you live. Your life can and will always have meaning if you work on these things.

All the best!

by Anonymousreply 102January 30, 2014 4:39 PM

Cheer up. You're a Datalounge OP.

by Anonymousreply 103January 30, 2014 5:56 PM

I brushed my teeth yesterday, that's something.

by Anonymousreply 104January 30, 2014 6:37 PM

There are dog daycares and walkers who can take your pets if you're working long shifts. It's not cheap, though.

But anytime someone starts to lecture me about leaving a dog alone for 10-11 hours a day, I tell them that I rescued her and she probably would have been put down if I hadn't. So what's the better option for her? She gets plenty of love and exercise when I'm not at work.

by Anonymousreply 105January 31, 2014 5:47 AM

Are you sure you haven't accomplished something with your life? I'm learning each day not to let any one define what would be considered the ultimate journey in life. What about the time you gave a complete stranger a smile? Is there a chance they were having a bad day and your smile made them feel as if they mattered for at least one brief moment? Why does accomplishment have to mean a top tier vocation with a boat load of money? I do understand your slump and I'm sorry you feel if you died no one would care but the truth is they would. My entire immediate family is gone. Seems so strange. I'm just in my 40's. I could wallow all day about some bad choices and how painful it feels to not have some family but as I said I'm learning accomplishment is self defined not dictated. Just live. Tell yourself every day you matter and you have a purpose that is far beyond holding a title of prestige so someone can pat you on the back. There may be someone out there you've yet to meet who will need you. Try volunteer work.

by Anonymousreply 106January 31, 2014 5:59 AM

I've decided to post here about my predicament, maybe hoping that someone will give me useful advice.

I'm between 30 and 35, and haven't had a proper job for about seven years.

Before that I endeavoured in IT. While finally actually in it, I left training from that previous 'proper job' (for phone centre service) not just because of various inopportune confluences, but for the reason that the instructor was an abusive jerk (he was to be my superior once I passed training). This is what I more-or-less told the company when they wanted to know. They'd say over the phone that if I reapplied for the same position, it would be difficult to return after they had formally fired me.

Now, every skillset has a half-life and in all that time the PC skills that were useful between 1995-2005 might not be as useful now, ostensibly because the market is perhaps saturated of people who also have it. The high-paying jobs are usually programmers and infrastructure people, which I am not.

I do not have any higher education beyound high school, where STEM subjects were some of my weakest (languages were better).

Neither have I managed to learn anything substantially new or useful that would help me get a job in IT, although this is one of the things that I used to find as my vocation, just because throughout many years I was able to keep the computers in really good order in a small office of a family member, but that doesn't count to be put on my CV, because it wasn't 'real work' there, as it was informal.

All this leaves me with a résumé with gaps in employment and skills.

To top it off, I am not like everyone else in many other things, too: I'm either a nightowl, and/or I have a steadily irregular sleep pattern that shifts every once in a while; I might also have bipolar disorder or mild Asperger's. All this has not been properly diagnosed yet, but observations match descriptions. Neither do I always have a very good attention span, or the diligence to even go through a self-initiated project properly.

Maybe I'm too hard on myself.

So I'm in this unenviable position of living in the parent's "basement/attic", which is really a small flat. That parent wants me to start paying for all that, or have it rented out to other people. This would mean that I'd either have to pay or leave, and I'm afraid the parent is trying to make me homeless. That same parent has been an enabler of the current situation, in some way keeping me on a short leash like that.

So, every time I think of what to do about it going forward, I feel great stress, which rather inconventiently leads me to avoid the whole topic of it.

All this makes me feel like I have substantially fallen out of my reference group of peers who are the same age. I often read of guys my age and even younger, who have encountered substantial or at least reasonable success and quality of life: the very successful are enterprising, innovative and all that.

What I don't like is that I'm not there myself, and that instead of being independent, I'm dependent on someone else, but feeling inability to wrest myself away from my situation.

by Anonymousreply 107February 19, 2014 2:45 AM

Well, r108, perhaps if your parent is successful in removing you from their basement/attic you'll finally get off your ass and do something. It sounds like the only thing holding you back is your own laziness.

by Anonymousreply 108February 19, 2014 4:00 AM

That's all you got R109? From that novela?

by Anonymousreply 109February 19, 2014 4:24 AM

Get A Life OP! Stop what you are doing and change tracks. Be different, do different, discover yourself and unlock your chains. Move away and rediscover yourself and your life.

You may still not have anyone to mourn you when the day comes, but you will have had fun to look back on (not like now).

by Anonymousreply 110February 19, 2014 4:36 AM

R109 , I've been living like the hikikomori do in Japan, perhaps with the difference that I sometimes occasionally venture out, at which time this makes me a NEET (Not in Employment Education or Training).

R109 , you should try to imagine that when I start thinking of finding work, I begin to feel like walls are going to creep up on me and squish me (figuratively).

I can't attribute this to laziness, if I can commit myself to painstakingly editing and updating references in Wikipedia, sometimes adding new information, and editing and uploading images on Wikimedia Commons.

R110 : Sorry, I didn't intend to write what you call a novela. Or might I have...?

But ultimately I feel that this place is a better place to ask such kind of advice than bugging a cute gay YouTube vlogger who is far too busy.

My predicament is similar to that of OP's: I haven't accomplished much in my life, and I want to do something. My addition is that, I want to be independent, so as not to depend on a manipulative parent.

by Anonymousreply 111February 19, 2014 5:48 AM

Somebody earlier said it best, try to be kind to others, or at least not cruel. Rescuing an animal can be the best thing ever. They'll absolutely love you and are 100% loyal if you let them in your heart. In the end when the earth goes hurtling into the sun, nothing really will matter anyway.

by Anonymousreply 112February 19, 2014 6:17 AM

R112 You need to take steps to get your head out of your ass. You are spending too much time alone and in your head. Force yourself out into the world.

by Anonymousreply 113February 19, 2014 6:24 AM

R114 wrote: > You need to take steps

That's not helpful.

> to get your head out of your ass.

These expressions don't work with me, and I can't really grok them when they're meant for me. When I read or hear such phrases I literally visualise them, and then I think "ew, dirty."

by Anonymousreply 114February 19, 2014 6:51 AM

Cue the happy, accomplished people telling you that it's because you didn't work hard enough/knuckle down etc. Basically, unless you have a natural talent (singing etc) or ability to pass exam after exam...you're screwed... Sorry...but you're screwed...end of...

and the person saying that life has no importance above is spot on, humanity is losing itself

....in the words of Bill Hicks "We're just a virus with shoes"

by Anonymousreply 115February 9, 2015 7:10 PM

Ditto-I am 54 and I feel the exact same way. I own nothing and can't even work enough to keep bills paid.

by Anonymousreply 116February 10, 2015 9:48 PM

There are things that didn't come to fruition, but I can't say I've squandered anything because I worked at it nearly every single day. This knowledge is actually more depressing in some ways than when you think this or that didn't pan out because you didn't make the correct choices, but at least you know it's not your fault and get over the self-blame.

by Anonymousreply 117February 10, 2015 9:59 PM

Only a very few of us will be known for our lives in 50 years after we die. The number morphs to infinitesimal after 500.

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 118February 10, 2015 10:13 PM

You didn't ask to be born. Life is to be enjoyed. Accomplishment feels good, to be sure, but small accomplishments are as satisfying as big ones.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2015 4:29 AM

It just came up today in conversation, so may I share? Sometimes it feels like I've done nothing, but this was something.

We had worked for months to "roll-out " an upgraded web site. It was about 1994 or 1996, so web sites were newish. It was a trading platform for a financial company, so it had to be rock-solid. Sites were so new, we thought we could [italic]charge[italic] for the privilege of using it! Well, we were wrong about that, but no matter.

After perhaps 9-12 months of work at a breakneck pace, everything was ready. We installed it over a weekend. We were always sacrificing our three-day weekends, President's Day in particular, but whichever, we did it. On Monday, we wen "live". Completely coincidentally, the markets crashed that day. Volume was through the roof. Our site slowed to a crawl. So did all our competitor's sites.

The Project Manager called an all-hands meeting. There were at least 300 of us, judging by the number fitting into the conference room. None of us knew if the new site was responsible, a dud, or the slow-down was just caused by the increased volumn, and the slow-down on our site would have happened anyway. After much talk, he decided to "back-out" the change. We had been prepared to "roll-back" the change anytime during installation if anyone got cold feet; but not after going "live", after customers changed data! We couldn't back-out! We had to figure-out how.

So, I raised my hand from the back. I asked: "We all worked many months to develop an implementation plan that seems to be in trouble. But if we spend four hours developing a back-out plan, what happens if we have to back-out, the "back-out"? The manager literally did a cartoonesq double-take. He declared the back-out "off", and we rode it out. (He had just made a panicked decision to back it out.).

It happens that all our competitors crashed that day. Volume on all sites was multiples of previous highs. It was a black-swan event. The next day, things returned to normal, and we all kept our employment for many months beefing up the capacity of the system. I had saved the day.

And [italic]that[/italic], was the grandest day, of my youth!

by Anonymousreply 120January 20, 2017 2:41 PM

Italics [/italic]off!

by Anonymousreply 121January 20, 2017 2:42 PM

There are 320 million Americans OP. How many of them have you heard of? How many of them are "successful" in the way that you mean? There are too many people and there is not enough work. Just be thankful for whatever comes your way and fucking ENJOY life as that is the best you can do with your biology. There are lemmings enough.

by Anonymousreply 122January 20, 2017 2:56 PM

Cheer up OP! Trump inherited a lot of money and if he had invested it in an index fund he would have earned more money doing nothing than he did as a "businessman." And today he becomes president.

by Anonymousreply 123January 20, 2017 3:33 PM

Achievements are for Losers and Four-Eyes!

by Anonymousreply 124January 20, 2017 3:34 PM

Well you got on the Datalounge without paying the $1.50

by Anonymousreply 125January 20, 2017 8:18 PM

OP: I'm going to full "Reddit" here and suggest, just in an offhand sort of way, that assassinating a sitting president will get you noticed and make you a part of history.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :-)

by Anonymousreply 126January 20, 2017 8:27 PM

Don't worry OP, I'm 34, graduated from a top school and grad school, lost a great job a few years ago, and have been in hell since. I made about 6000 dollars last year and have gained about 75 lbs on antidepressants/mood stabilizers. I'm single but have dated a long string of abusers.

Even those of us who made the "right" choices in our youth can end up nowhere for reasons outside of our control, so don't beat yourself up too much.

by Anonymousreply 127January 20, 2017 10:50 PM

Goodness gracious, OP (and others),

It's so easy to accomplish something and become meaningful in your community: VOLUNTEER. Volunteer with rescued animals, volunteer with the Red Cross, volunteer with an environmental group--there are millions of people and causes and animals that desperately need help. And in doing this, you will meet friends, community, etc.

by Anonymousreply 128January 20, 2017 10:56 PM

I started this thread 4 years ago and found it looking for something else. I haven't accomplished a damn thing in the past four years. Where did the time go? I'm 45 years old and no better off now than I was then.

Depressing bump.

by Anonymousreply 129March 25, 2018 10:19 PM

[quote]R13 I wanted to have as much fun as possible, that was my most important goal. I don't regret it but the fun is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 25, 2018 10:35 PM

Gap In-Store Playlists will live forever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 25, 2018 10:38 PM

Exactly r128. It is not hard to get involved with something. Take some initiative, life is what you make of it.

by Anonymousreply 132March 25, 2018 10:41 PM

I lost my partner of 37 years 8 weeks ago. He collapsed at his desk and never regained consciousness. I’m reading all of these posts to help me see how to re-configure what seems to be 25 more years of a hopelessly empty and utterly diminished life. You all are so encouraging, and I hope I can follow some of your ideas. I’m overwhelmed with grief most days.

by Anonymousreply 133March 26, 2018 2:36 AM

God bless R133.

by Anonymousreply 134March 26, 2018 3:02 AM

I love you r133.

by Anonymousreply 135March 26, 2018 3:05 AM

R32 were you Muslim. If no then you did not fuck your daughter.

by Anonymousreply 136March 26, 2018 3:07 AM

To begin with... If you spend hours on DL you will accomplish little.

by Anonymousreply 137March 26, 2018 3:09 AM

Let me give you some perspective. This world is a huge prison. People are born slaves to a system they not only idolize - capitalism but actually fight to death to defend. They brag about their accomplishments which are nothing but to scrape crumbs of things they should get for free but are forced to fight for while a minority controlling the prison laughs at them.

Mark my words they'll come here on this thread to defend their slavery.

So.... In the great scheme of things not accomplishing anything in this senseless cage might be something to be proud of. :)

by Anonymousreply 138March 26, 2018 3:13 AM

“The ancients are right: the dear old human experience is a singular, difficult, shadowed, brilliant experience that does not resolve into being comfortable in the world. The valley of the shadow is part of that, and you are depriving yourself if you do not experience what humankind has experienced, including doubt and sorrow. We experience pain and difficulty as failure instead of saying, I will pass through this, everyone I have ever admired has passed through this, music has come out of this, literature has come out of it. We should think of our humanity as a privilege.”

—Marilynne Robinson, The Paris Review No. 198

by Anonymousreply 139March 26, 2018 5:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!