Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sasheer Zamata Joins Cast of SNL Following Diversity Controversy

Saturday Night Live is adding a black woman to its cast after being criticized for a lack of diversity.

NBC said Monday that Sasheer Zamata will join the show later this month. She is a recent University of Virginia graduate who has worked for the Upright Citizens Brigade comedy group in New York City.

SNL hasn't had a black woman among its regular cast members since the biracial Maya Rudolph left in 2007. It has had four black women in its regular troupe since premiering in 1975.

It became an issue earlier this season after the show's two black male cast members, Jay Pharoah and Kenan Thompson, made comments about the absence. It also was joked about onscreen when Kerry Washington of Scandal was a guest host.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 24, 2019 6:28 AM

Miss Zamata, welcome to the extra scrutiny you'll be receiving while the rest of the cast can continue being their usual, mediocre selves.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2014 10:02 PM

It's great they finally added someone but 1 black woman doesn't make everything "OK". SNL still needs more diversity with mixed race latinos and asians and they could stand to add more black cast members as well.

Lorne is a piece of shit and I think things on the show won't fully change for the better until he's gone. It's pathetic that it took public outrage for them to hire another black woman. Just 4 since 1975? that's an embarrassment for a show that claims to parody "pop culture".

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2014 10:05 PM

So, is it diverse now?

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2014 10:09 PM

[quote]SNL still needs more diversity with mixed race latinos and asians and they could stand to add more black cast members as well.

How about a gay man as well?

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2014 10:10 PM

Maybe they should focus less on diversity & more on being funny, witty & relevant

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2014 10:21 PM

R5 are you over 50? SNL can't be as funny or relevant if there's no or little diversity. In this day and age, serious and stupid news are made by people of all backgrounds. It simply doesn't make sense to have an all or almost white cast unless they're narrowing the topics to be solely about white Americans. Clearly they cover more than all-white stories, hence the controversy with Keenan Thompson playing all the black female characters.

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2014 10:30 PM

It's annoying that, he won't pick up Debra Wilson because of Mad TV but got Keenan from a crappy Nickelodean show.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2014 10:35 PM

I didn't realize how much of a scum bag Lorne Michaels really is until I started reading more about SNL's history.

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2014 10:37 PM

When Seth Myers leave they will only have one Jew!

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2014 10:43 PM

[quote]It's annoying that, he won't pick up Debra Wilson because of Mad TV

Interesting theory.

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2014 10:45 PM

Sasheer is fantastic, but don't forget that they also have another woman of color in the cast - Nasim Pedrad

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2014 11:03 PM

R6: are you over age 11? You should be doing your homework & eating your 2nd dessert brownie by now.

SNL hasn't been funny in 20 years - regardless of the color, religion, ethnic background, etc etc etc of anyone on the show.

It's called talent & most of the peeps on the show, have very little of it.

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2014 11:36 PM

R7 - I agree. Debra Wilson is one talented funny woman. Keenan is just a mystery to me - being a chucklehead on a teen show doesn't mean you're an adult comic.

Keenan is bad tokenism. I'm all for diversity but I hate when they select one person who is just so subpar it doesn't compute. I count Horatio Sanz into that group as well.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2014 12:08 AM

This reminds of the bitchy, abusive mean girl clique in "Peanuts" offering Charlie Brown a "used" Valentine card with the original name erased out of pity .

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2014 12:18 AM

one thing all the SNL books agree on is that Lorne is a cock

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2014 12:32 AM

Now the, mostly Black, men can stop dressing up as women (not that there's anything wrong with that in real life). The show hasn't been funny in years. YEARS. And I'm someone who watched for many years and thought they were hilarious, esp. Darrell Hammond.

by Anonymousreply 16January 7, 2014 12:37 AM

To the Debra Wilson troll who surfaces on every SNL thread:

Give it up. She is never going to be on SNL.

She's too old. Bitch is over 50.

by Anonymousreply 17January 7, 2014 12:38 AM

"How about a gay man as well?"

I think you mean an out gay man. They've only had one of those that I can remember.

But there've been plenty of gay men on the show.

by Anonymousreply 18January 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Mark my words: within the first 15 minutes of her first episode, she will already have played Michelle Obama and Beyonce Knowles and will sit out the rest of the night with nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 19January 7, 2014 12:59 AM

[quote] within the first 15 minutes of her first episode, she will already have played Michelle Obama and Beyonce Knowles

Knowing SNL, it's more likely that she will be asked to play roles such as "game show contestant" or "talk show guest" or "audience member who asks the host a question during the monologue."

by Anonymousreply 20January 7, 2014 1:02 AM

Debra Wilson is very funny, but maybe too old to join now? She's turning 52 in April. Not that that makes it less funny, but she's old enough to be the mother of most of the current cast.

by Anonymousreply 21January 7, 2014 2:07 AM

Debra Wilson IS FUNNY, even if she is 50, frankly she is full on funnier than 40% of that cast. SNL does need another woman of color,.

There is a lot more material than Michele and Bey in this country - in fact given the plethora of race baiting politics by the GOP, there is a hella lot of material. Voting rights obstruction, skewering the GOP appointed Atty Gen of Fla that incarcerated a woman for firing a warning shot, etc...

Seems the hardcore racists so intent on reconstituting the Soft Power of the Confederacy are LONG overdue for a comedic pilloring - they are featured prominently in every news cycle.

Lorne is scum, his "progressive politics" seemingly driven by his checking balance - and not biting humor.

by Anonymousreply 22January 7, 2014 2:32 AM

SNL is about as fresh and cutting-edge as Archie Comics.

Completely Corporatized Comedy is what it is. It's nothing but a marketing tool. Its only "street cred" is on Wall Street.

by Anonymousreply 23January 7, 2014 4:05 AM

They should hire Kerry Washington when Scandal ends. She was a hoot. Much funnier than some of the regular cast and certainly funnier than most of the hosts they've had on this season.

by Anonymousreply 24January 7, 2014 4:14 AM

It's such a no-win situation for her. She's the perfect illustration of tokenism. Sure, she's getting exposure, but for the rest of her comedy career, she'll be known as The One Who Got the Job Because She's Black. She's probably pretty funny, too, but it won't matter.

by Anonymousreply 25January 7, 2014 4:27 AM

[quote] It's annoying that, he won't pick up Debra Wilson because of Mad TV but got Keenan from a crappy Nickelodean show

Did you really expect him to pick Debra Wilson? She's funny. Why would they start hiring funny comedians now? Mediocre and bland is what SNL is all about

by Anonymousreply 26January 7, 2014 6:46 AM

The only reason Sasheer was hired is bexause she's black.

There, does everyone feel better now, does this solve racism?

by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2014 7:08 AM

Can people jump up and down about the lack of an Asian/Latino/Arab/etc. and SNL will hire one to make them feel better?

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2014 7:09 AM

All I wanna know is - does this increase or decrease the chances of bringing back Ellen Cleghorne for special appearances as Queen Shenequa and Zoraida the NBC page??

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2014 8:42 AM

This must be a step down to being an Oscar frontrunner to bit player on SNL...

The show already has too many cast members with not enough airtime...

Wonder what happened to that funny looking featured player from last year who didn't make it this year?

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2014 10:53 AM

Tim Robinson?

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2014 11:09 AM

R27 You are an idiot and simpleton.

R25 I disagree, clearly she is talented will be bigger than that. Why on earth would you take that viewpoint? I Guess Jackie Robinson will only "forever be known. " Shheesh.

However LORNE will forever be known as a racist ass that had to be pilloried to get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2014 12:45 PM

R30, huh Oscar frontrunner who?

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2014 2:23 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2014 3:48 PM

[quote]The only reason Sasheer was hired is bexause she's black.

Is she the only black female comic?

by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2014 4:07 PM

You guys are talking like being on SNL is some pinnacle of comedic achievement like it was 20 or 30 years ago. It's a dinosaur that is kept alive because it's on Saturday nights.

Debra Wilson is so above this. Doing SNL after the legendary sketches she did on MadTV would be a step down for Debra, I'm sure. The best they can do is find someone young with potential to be like her.

by Anonymousreply 36January 7, 2014 4:16 PM

[quote]one thing all the SNL books agree on is that Lorne is a cock

Cast members from the early 00s like to tell the story of Lorne seeing Mel Brooks at a Broadway event and walking up to him to say how much Lorne loved working with Mel's son Max Brooks (then a young SNL writer - pre-Zombie fame).

Mel looked at him blankly and asked - dead serious, "And you are?"

by Anonymousreply 37January 7, 2014 4:38 PM

[quote]You guys are talking like being on SNL is some pinnacle of comedic achievement like it was 20 or 30 years ago.

Yeah--ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 38January 7, 2014 4:38 PM

r38, all those people you listed are kept on the NBC's payroll despite their low ratings. You think NBC is going to keep a black woman on TV if she gets shitty ratings? You have to be white for them to do that.

by Anonymousreply 39January 7, 2014 4:58 PM

R39 That is interesting, might want to keep NBC opinion line phone number on speed dial. I htink she is going to be FABULOUS, and then lets see how NBC handles it.

Frankly I imagine Tina and Amy just slamming NBC at the Golden Globes for this special kind of stupid.

Those two are deeply political, and thoughtful women...Zamata has more clout than she realizes.

by Anonymousreply 40January 7, 2014 5:44 PM

She won't last, unless they treat her like the Token Nubian Princess. Pick her up in a limo. It's a horrible atmosphere, according to Jay Mohr:

"The schedule for putting together Saturday Night Live was made back in the seventies when everyone was on coke.... Problem was, no one did coke [anymore] and we were expected to keep the same hours." Floundering in the unstructured work environment, Mohr suffered crippling panic attacks, which he treated with alcohol and pot until he finally found real relief with a prescription for Klonopin. Even panic-free, Mohr still felt like the odd man out and chafes at his less than meteoric rise."

by Anonymousreply 41January 7, 2014 8:13 PM

Other than the two they already have, R4?

by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2014 2:29 AM

R23, SNL is nowhere near as fresh and cutting-edge as Archie Comics!

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2014 2:31 AM

R30, Tim Robinson got demoted from cast member to staff writer this season.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2014 2:33 AM

Kenan! You in danger, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2014 2:34 AM

I say bring her on. It can't hurt. The cast they have right now is certainly not cutting it. The only true talent they have right know is Kate McKinnon.

by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2014 2:36 AM

I'm so glad Viola is working again!!

by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2014 4:19 AM

[quote]Other than the two they already have, [R4]?

Who are?

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2014 4:35 AM

Check out her "Pursuit of Sexiness" - 'Sheer & Nicole. They are definitely up there with French & Sanders, Fey & Poehler. These two young women do what AB FAB did without the wealth - on the Subway and in thrift stores. Sasheer is VERY WORTHY!

Racist, Misogynistic trolls are in DL - just ignore them. Also the hater school of "women aren't funny" tedious moronic shits that malinger in here.

Just ignore them and have a laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 8, 2014 12:43 PM

I'm another Debra Wilson fan, but I agree with others there is no way she would ever be on SNL.

I was a kid in the 90s when All That was on and even back then I thought Kenan Thompson was awful.

by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2014 12:57 PM

when Amy and Tina were in the cast there was no black woman and they didn't say a word...

by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2014 1:43 PM

Maya Rudolph, r51.

by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2014 1:44 PM

What a stupid controversy.

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2014 2:17 PM

R48: Taran Killam (who is married to lesbian Cobie Smulders) and new guy John Milhiser.

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2014 12:27 AM

I haven't watched this show in years. It's terrible and not amusing!!

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2014 12:31 AM

She's adorable and about ten times more qualified than some of last year's recent hires such as the fat girl.

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2014 12:34 AM

I think most of the cast is pretty good (with Kenan being the exception). The big problem with the show is the lousy writing.

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2014 12:42 AM

r39, it's much more complicated than that.

Lorne Michaels makes money for a failing network in a dying medium. By having his hand in Jimmy Fallon's development, he's put a 'young' face on late night, which was plagued with problems. He'll therefore have pull in a way other showrunners might not.

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2014 12:53 AM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2014 2:01 AM

r59 Ethnic people can't write dick jokes?

by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2014 2:09 AM

I never liked Maya Rudolph. Her Whitney sucked compared to Debras.

by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2014 5:59 AM

Are you serious, r54?

by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2014 6:01 AM

[R56], her name is Aidy Bryant and she is funnier than that damn Cecily Strong who everyone keeps going on about. Sasheer makes 7 women in the cast. Some of them won't be back next season, I bet. Lorne won't keep that many women around, but he is perfectly happy to have a ton of average white guys in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2014 6:13 AM

Nasim Pedrad (sp) is Iranian, or is that more or less white?

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2014 7:26 AM

[quote]SNL is nowhere near as fresh and cutting-edge as Archie Comics!

Archie comics had an openly gay character, after all!

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2014 8:16 AM

And Taran and Cobie Smulders are pretending to be a couple (and had a baby) why?

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2014 8:50 PM

They serve as beards for each other. It's not that uncommon. Why a baby? Why does anyone have a baby? I presume because she wanted one...

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2014 9:23 PM

Why would they need beards? It's not like they're huge stars. And they've been together since before anyone even knew who Taran was.

by Anonymousreply 68January 12, 2014 9:55 PM

No, neither of them are huge stars but both are on their way. It's common for agents to arrange "relationships" for their closeted clients long before they become famous.

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2014 10:10 PM

Love her.

by Anonymousreply 70March 24, 2019 5:33 AM

^^^ I guess you must, if you're trying to revive a 5-year-old thread . . .

by Anonymousreply 71March 24, 2019 5:38 AM

Kill it, kill it with fire.

by Anonymousreply 72March 24, 2019 5:47 AM

It wasn't meant to be

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 24, 2019 6:10 AM

She was on the last episode of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

by Anonymousreply 74March 24, 2019 6:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!