Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Bless the Beasts & Children" (1971)

Am watching the film for the first time. Was this thing rated PG? It would be teetering on PG-13/R today mainly for all the minors in underwear and the hilarious masturbation scene.

But it's enjoyable. My favorite is Scheckler. That actor is very talented and funny. And according to this pic in 2007, doesn't even resemble the chubby kid he once was.

Barry Robins as Cotton is an acquired taste. His freakout at the end is pure scenery chewing.

Bill Mumy is also quite good. Anybody see this in theaters upon its original release? How did it do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 9:22 PM

I saw it when it came out and recall feeling like I was banged over the head with the message - Stanley Kramer was always better as a producer than a director. The boxoffice was middling.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2013 11:05 PM

I've never seen it, but I remember when it came out the kids at school were doing this gesture where they'd give you the finger as though they were lighting a match, and said it was from "Bless the Beasts and the Children."

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2013 12:08 AM

Would never be made today without a lot of changes.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2013 12:13 PM

Karen was amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2013 1:10 PM

The actor pictured above is Miles Chapin, who is the son of Schuyler Chapin and brother of R&H head, Ted Chapin. He gave up acting years ago and is now a real estate broker of high end condos and apartments in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2013 2:59 PM

Chapin was prob my favorite in the film.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2013 4:20 PM

It was rated the new GP rating. GP was changed from the original rating Rated M: Mature Audiences – Suggested for Mature Audiences (Parental Discretion Advised) but that was a mouthful so the GP was installed as GP: All Ages Admitted - Parental Guidance Suggested. Two years later it was switched to PG

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2013 4:28 PM

I believe the kid who played Cotton died of AIDS in real life.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2013 11:11 PM

He did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2013 11:14 PM

Was he actually 26 when he was playing a kid?

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2013 11:17 PM

The Nadia thread reminded me of watching this on TV one night. A quite enjoyable film - filmed on Catalina Island, I believe.

Had a crush on the actor who played Cotton (who was obviously gay in real life). Sad that the actor, Barry Robins, died from AIDS.

Anybody else remember seeing this film?

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2015 10:46 PM

Barry Robins parents were friends of my parents. Everyone was so proud of him when he got the role in the film and everyone was devastated when he died. I was young and don't recall having met him, but he is remembered as being a wonderful person.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2015 11:09 PM

Is this on DVD anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2015 11:19 PM

We had to read the book for English class in grade 9 back in 1987. The teacher then showed us the movie. I was surprised the movie was pretty close to the book.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2015 11:35 PM

Despite the popularity of the title song, which was a hit for the Carpenters, the movie was not a success. It came and went in a week.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2015 11:42 PM

I think I was in grade seven when I read it. Didn't see the film until years later

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2015 11:54 PM

Do you know if Barry was openly gay, R12?

I would think this film resonates with gay youth of the era? The "bedwetters" were sort of the outcasts of the time, a sorta precursor to the Bad News Bears. They had trouble fitting in with the more mainstream, athletic boys in the camp.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2015 12:20 AM

I saw this movie with my 7th grade class in its original theatrical release, as we'd just finished reading the book.

I always laugh thinking about it because one of my friends in class was this black girl, Alison, and when someone asked her about the film I remember her saying, "Oooh girl, we saw this movie with all these white boys in their tighty-whities.." Funny because that's mostly what I remembered about it, too.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2015 1:46 AM

Bill Mumy an excellent child actor.

I read an article about him which stated both he and Angela Cartwright were very bright, intuitive, natural actors. On "Lost in Space," they received little direction (according to the article and people who worked on the series) and that they could figure out what to do. In most of the first season's (which were good) episodes, that says something about intelligent child actors.

Sure won't find any kid actors today with the talent Bill and Angela had. Maybe the kids on The Middle, that's all I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2015 1:55 AM

Check out the kids on Black-ish r19. All four of them are brilliant and not even remotely cloying or cute.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2015 2:50 AM

Saw it when it first came out and didn't want to believe WIll Robinson grew up to be the scraggly Bill Mumy. What happened???

When Y&R came on the air...I had to ask, where do I know that theme from?

Was Barry Miller in this??

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2015 12:47 PM

I've never seen this movie or heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2015 5:07 PM

Thank you for your helpful comment, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2015 5:09 PM

^

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2015 7:43 PM

In England 'Beast' is slang for Pedophile...

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2015 7:04 AM

[quote]In England 'Beast' is slang for Pedophile...

Oh come ON! I was well over 18 and he was 21.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2015 7:07 AM

I liked the song.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2015 7:18 AM

My library has this on DVD. I will watch it, and then reply to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2015 10:09 AM

Fish head!

Fish head!

Eat them up!

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2015 12:22 PM

DUMB

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote]Bill Mumy an excellent child actor.

I caught some of the Lost in Space episodes on MeTV a few years ago, and that really stuck out to me. He was very natural and played a bright child without the normal TV kid obnoxiousness and instead was very likable. He basically ended up as one of the leads of the series and helped carry the show (whether you think the show was good or bad or so bad its good).

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2021 1:21 PM

He pronounces his name wrong

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2021 7:50 PM

I first saw this on the late, late show (back when they used to have those) on some cable channel in 2000. I had just moved to LA and was couch surfing at a friend's, looking for an apartment, and my NYC vampire schedule was still in effect, so he would go to bed around 11 and I'd be up all night with nothing to do but watch TV. I had heard of the movie, and I remember my parents had the 8-track tape when i was super little, but I knew nothing about it.

I'm not sure if it was just me feeling very unsettled and adrift, living in a new town with no anchors and missing my friends, but the movie really got to me. I was totally captivated by it and cried like a baby at the end. I think I've seen it once more (uncut) on cable, and I still loved it. It's not a perfect film, but it's a perfect late night, all alone kind of film. I think it would be a great quarantine view for those of us who are by ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2021 7:59 PM

Miles Chapin ended up playing Beverly D'Angelo's nerdy brother in the movie version of "Hair". He had lost a lot of weight by the late 70s. By sight, Barry Robins comes off looking like a high school jock, but the scene where he rescues the bullied blond kid from the pond is very sweet, almost romantic. The actress who played Robin's vain mother was married to Mickey Rooney in the 1950s for 6 years. She still living at 90!

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 4:45 PM

Several Canadians on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2022 5:13 PM

I saw it and I know I loved it but had forgotten it and now do not remember anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 8:29 PM

R14/ R18 We were shown this film at my school too! And then assigned the book... I think.

I remember thinking this is going to be shit based on the title, but finding the actual film far exceeded my expectations. Wouldnt mind seeing it again now I think about it

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!