Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Hollywood star dimmed in your eyes as you got older?

For me, hands down, it is Kate Hepburn. Loved her as a child and a young adult. She has maybe five movies I can stand to watch now. She seems obtuse, unconcerned, and mannered. And her voice is never in character. She gets better as she gets older, but before 1940 she is hard to watch.

Gary Cooper too. He seems so dumb now. Like the Mark Wahlberg of his time.

by Anonymousreply 218December 3, 2018 1:52 AM

I still love Katharine Hepburn and Gary Cooper. Have no reason to dislike them.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2013 7:46 PM

Pia Zadora ruled in the 70s. Not so much now in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2013 8:13 PM

"She's in the attic!!!"

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2013 8:40 PM

R1 there must be some else - it doesn't have to be Hepburn or Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2013 8:41 PM

Loretta Young and Gary Cooper for being Republicunts and enormous religious hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2013 8:51 PM

This thread belongs to Kevin Spacey

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2013 8:53 PM

Tom Cruise, I thought he was perfectly cast and rather good in Risky Business, Rainman, and Top Gun. While I liked the movie A Few Good Men, he was starting to wear on me, and seem like a douche. Haven't really care for him much since then, last movie of his I have seen was War of the Worlds on television. He seems like a complete nutcase and a terrible actor to me, now.

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2013 8:56 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2013 9:51 PM

Pee Wee, loved him

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2013 9:56 PM

Mary Tyler Moore. She was best on Dick Van Dyke and her own show, then bit off more than she could chew doing dramatic parts out of her range.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2013 9:59 PM

Kathllen Turner

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2013 10:00 PM

Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2013 10:01 PM

I agree R12. She was so good in The Godfather, Annie Hall and Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Then she started doing those silly rom coms.

Another one- Liza. After Arthur, everything just petered out. In the 70's and early 80's I thought she was the absolute greatest on stage and in concert.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2013 10:29 PM

I agree with OP's choice of Kate Hepburn. Made myself like her because everyone kept hailing her as great throughout her career and I tried to really think she must be but --- truthfully, she always irritated me -- and, now, seeing some of those films from the 40s and 50s and 60s --hate most of them now. Very over-rated actress. Give me Bergman, Stanwyck who were my all-time favorites. Now, thanks to TCM, I re-evaluate Irene Dunne, Joan Fontaine and even Hedy Lamarr! I realize I was wrong to sort of brush them off --they were actually damn good.

Cooper was different than any other men of that era. A sort of beauty that differed from other male stars and he always said so little in all of his films but, somehow, that face convinced you there was a lot going on inside that brain. Maybe there wasn't but he he convinced you there was. I think his films still hold up well today.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2013 10:44 PM

Tom Cruz

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2013 10:48 PM

Whoopi

I love even her bad comedies from the eighties and her interview show was great - more than just stars doing publicity - despite the odd camera angles.

Then, she popped up on The View and everything went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2013 10:49 PM

Harrison Ford. So great in Star Wars, Indy, Blade Runner, Patriot Games. But he gradually became a bigger ass and is stoned or drunk half the time in interviews now.

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2013 10:52 PM

Agree with R14 and OP's choice of Katharine Hepburn. Also totally agree with R14 about Gary Cooper who was a great star and different from the rest. The older I get, the more I appreciate him.

by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2013 11:07 PM

Walter Brennan, Robert Mitchum and James Stewart when I found out what huge bigots they all were.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2013 11:10 PM

Elvis. All I think when I see him onscreen is "bloated corpse on the bathroom floor".

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2013 11:17 PM

Janet Jackson. After the Velvet Rope, she lost her luster.

Michael Jackson - for obvious reasons.

Tom Cruise for the same reasons mentioned upthread.

And though she may not be as funny and sharp as she once was, I still love me some Whoopi.

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2013 11:21 PM

I am loving Meryl less and less with each picture. Her accents and mannerisms are becoming a bit cartoonish as she ages. I hate that I even wrote that, I loved her so much for so long.

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2013 11:29 PM

Will Smith has dimmed as he's grown older. When he was young, he was so likeable. Forcing his ugly kids on us, the stupid school, etc. have made him fairly unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2013 11:34 PM

Johnny Depp, I found him likable and endearing when he was younger, but have been put off by him for the last several years.

Angelina Jolie, I liked her much more before she became St. Angelina.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2013 11:40 PM

Shirley McClaine...loved her 60's movies like Woman x 7 and Can Can, then she got all past life bullshit on me and all sour puss faced and phoney. She was in an elevator with me wearing a big sun hat and looked so unfriendly. Heard she is cheap as shit and mistreated her daughter...hence turned me off. Like she gives a shit what I think.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2013 11:42 PM

How was Mitchum a bigot?

In any event, it makes no difference to me what an actor is like in his/her personal life, so long as the performances hold up. They're not my friends, they just provide a service & it's the quality of the service that matters -- pretty much like my relationship with the plumber, whose politics are irrelevant if he can just fix the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2013 11:44 PM

OK I was only a kid but

Judy.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2013 11:50 PM

Helen Lawson burns brighter for me with each passing year!

by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2013 12:00 AM

Madonna was on fire when I was a kid in the 80s. Yes, her songs and movies were spotty, but she had a ton of charisma, style and mystique about her. She was mesmerizing. Then Truth or Dare came out.That movie revealed way too much about her and showed her to be a spoiled, common idiot.

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2013 1:06 AM

[r19] Mitchum not a bigot at all. I worked with him -- a big ol' closeted queen but not a bigot.

by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2013 2:10 AM

It was said that Mitchum refused to star in The Defiant Ones with Sidney Poitier. Because he was black. Allegedly he was on a location shoot for one of his films in Africa, where he gleefully used the "n" word because apparently the African tribesmen didn't understand English.

James Stewart allegedly snubbed Woody Strode on the set of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. He was from a town in PA that was lily-white and quite racist. He also was racist toward black actor Hal Williams on the set of his short-lived TV show.

Walter Brennan hated blacks, especially Martin Luther King, and even did a dance when he found out that the civil rights leader had been slain.

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2013 2:21 AM

Agree with Hepburn, Cruise, Depp, Michael Jackson and lots of the names mentioned here.

I'll add Mel Gibson. He was hot when he was young and seemed like a nice enough guy....now I loathe him.

Also - James Franco. He just seems tired and lame now, plus he always looks like he hasn't showered.

by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2013 2:23 AM

Meryl, Shirley Maclaine, Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 33November 8, 2013 2:28 AM

[r31] Mitchum turned down the role because he was on a chain gang in the South and the film seems to forget all about segregation, i.e. blacks and whites would never be chained together. Can't speak to your other claims. I just can't see Bob doing all that, however.

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2013 2:35 AM

Will Smith and Johnny Depp are excellent examples of dimming stars. I adored some of their early work, and liked what I saw of their personalities. As they've gotten older their work has become less and less interesting, and personalities have lost their appeal (to put it politely).

I think modern celebrity culture makes the dimming inevitable, at least for actors. Celebrities are all so overexposed they can no longer vanish into a role, we're too aware of their douchebaggery and "brand".

by Anonymousreply 35November 8, 2013 2:42 AM

What's this about Robert Mitchum being a closet queen?!

by Anonymousreply 36November 8, 2013 2:48 AM

R26, you have a good point.

To this day I love Peter Sellers and Errol Flynn on screen, but still can't stomach how sociopathic they were offscreen.

by Anonymousreply 37November 8, 2013 2:49 AM

Darling, get yourself to an eye doctor. It's cataracts.

by Anonymousreply 38November 8, 2013 2:52 AM

Meryl. The epitome of Over-acting. And don't get me started on those 'accents'.

by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2013 2:56 AM

Bing Crosby. Loved him all through my childhood and early adulthood EVEN after I heard the rumblings that he was a wretched father. As the years wore on and more stories came out and his sons started committing suicide, I thought "Boy, he must have been a tyrant." Something wasn't right there. I just started looking at every movie, even White Christmas, and there was and still is always lurking some queasy feeling about him.

Now, Joan Crawford I still love. Not sure what went down in that crazy house but she wasn't ALL bad.

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2013 2:58 AM

[R14] I agree re: Cooper. I didn't notice it when I was younger but I watched Beau Geste a couple years ago on TCM one night and became really intrigued by him. Whatever his personal ideas may have been I think he was quite a good actor and very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2013 3:03 AM

Most of the limousine liberal types. After moving to Hwood and realizing the outrageous hypocrisy in what they say vs. what they do has a sort of creepy payoff to them, that they like being that fake because they're coked out and schizoid, I now actually have a suspicious feeling about most actors, definitely the ones telling me how to behave.

by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2013 3:13 AM

Bette Davis -- just as bad K. Hepburn or M. Streep

Judy Garland -- she wouldn't even try to get better. She would rather pop a pill

by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2013 3:19 AM

[r36] yes, dear, he much preferred the man sex

by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2013 3:23 AM

Lindsay Lohan--I'm not joking. In 2004, it looked like she was going to be a big star and she was a decent actress, and by 2005, she started skidding of the rails. We don't need to go over what happened to her AFTER that.

Madonna--my music taste is really different now, so I don't really care to listen to her music. She should just retire and focus on raising her kids.

Tom Cruise--isn't it funny how before he married Katie Holmes, loads of hetero women were always talking about how "hot" Tom Cruise was? Now, he just seems like a huge freaking joke.

The Rolling Stones--they are just weird to look at and they stopped making great music decades ago. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2013 3:31 AM

I wouldn't exactly call him a Hollywood star, but I now can't stand Alec Guinness. I used to admire his performances, but now they seem to stilted.

And I never liked Gary Cooper. I managed to watch about 15 minutes of "The Fountainhead" and found him hideous. In all fairness, the story is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2013 3:31 AM

Harrison Ford did seem to be just going through the motions more and more as time went by. I just read an interview of him and he came off as a bit of an ass. Clearly did not want to be doing the interview, which is understandable, but don't take it out on the reporter.

by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2013 3:39 AM

Mariah Carey--she was terrific up until about 1996. Mottola knew how to manage her and she was better when she was singing mostly mediocre adult-contemporary stuff rather than the fake R&B she started releasing from Butterfly onwards. She also looked a LOT better in the early 1990's.

Whitney Houston--as a kid, it would never cross my mind she would be a crack addict. Ohhh, but she was! She was probably always engaged with drugs when she was in the spotlight, her nice girl image was exactly that--an image.

Julia Roberts--the most hated person on DL?

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2013 3:47 AM

James Woods. I will never doubt his talent, but when I read what a first class ass he is, my admiration nosedived.

Rex Harrison was a simply horrible and cruel and nasty person.

Glenn Ford - he was filming in Japan in the late 1950s, and refused to share a tin of his cookies with Japanese children. He was angry when the children "stole" his cookies from the tin and then proceeded to hide them.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2013 3:48 AM

Always a freeper that rears it's ugly head, r42.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2013 3:48 AM

[quote]Julia Roberts--the most hated person on DL?

Which makes any DLer with an ounce of wit adore her.

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2013 3:50 AM

R50, no! Not in the least. Seriously. I had to face that part of it. Some are humble, giving people, but these aren't the attention hogs I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2013 3:54 AM

Robert DeNiro for his movie choices of the last two decades.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2013 3:56 AM

Sean Penn

by Anonymousreply 54November 8, 2013 4:01 AM

Robert DeNiro and Jack Nicholson both became less compelling as the years rolled on.

by Anonymousreply 55November 8, 2013 5:11 AM

Drew Barrymore was never the greatest actress, but I grew up with E.T. and Firestarter, and loved many of her B-movies like Guncrazy and Poison Ivy. She also seemed like a genuine free spirit well into her 30s. Now she's just another breeder making boring Hollywood tripe.

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2013 5:41 AM

Natalie Wood --- A beautiful woman and I liked her movies when I was younger. When I see one now, I still think she was beautiful but her acting ability was very limited.

Also, I've been very disappointed in the crap that Robert DeNiro has made over the past 15-20 years. His earlier films are great but he hasn't made a decent movie in over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2013 6:22 AM

Clint Eastwood has been disappointing lately.

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2013 6:34 AM

I was just about to post Clint Eastwood, someone I thought was fairly intelligent but no longer do. R58 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2013 6:38 AM

Just about every actor or actress I've liked have dimmed in star power. Makes no difference to me. I'll enjoy them as I want to, as long as I want to. Eventually, I may not be so enthusiastic, but I have their earlier work to feast my eyes on. I'm that way about numerous actors and actresses.

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2013 6:44 AM

Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp. But I guess they faded in everybody's eyes, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2013 10:03 AM

I was always uneasy about Clint Eastwood's movies. Now I'm happy that I know why. He's just soooooooo conservative.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2013 10:05 AM

Susan Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2013 10:25 AM

All celeb Scientologists, esp. Tom Cruise, Oprah, Rosie O'Donnell.

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2013 10:29 AM

I don't understand why people put actors, athletes or musicians in such high regard. They're just entertainers. They have a small range of talent that is hyped by the money men to extract huge sums of money from the masses. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2013 11:18 AM

Nathan Fillion

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2013 12:13 PM

Lucille Ball-tried too hard to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2013 12:58 PM

Robert Mitchum is a closet queen only on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2013 1:49 PM

R68, nope. Have heard that about him for decades. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 69November 8, 2013 2:16 PM

[quote]James Franco. He just seems tired and lame now, plus he always looks like he hasn't showered.

He was on Charlie Rose last night. He looked fabulous. And very, very clean.

by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2013 2:17 PM

[quote]I don't understand why people put actors, athletes or musicians in such high regard. They're just entertainers. They have a small range of talent that is hyped by the money men to extract huge sums of money from the masses. Sad.

I wonder about this, too. Acting is a minor talent, and yet actors are treated as if they're the marvels of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2013 2:20 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned Elizabeth Taylor. At least, Davis and Helpburn continued to make films, mostly bad. Taylor did as well, just not as many. I do understand that her health was not good. Still, she certainly fills the OP description.

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2013 2:30 PM

R65, I like musicians when I like the music they make. I do not venerate any of them. In fact, I'd actually rather not know that much about musicians' personal lives. I might not like them -- it's happened -- if I knew more than they reveal in their music.

As for actors, they're pretty. I like looking at them. I like drama. They put it together for me. They're the face I attach to the drama. I don't spend much time reading about them, though, or their personal lives.

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2013 2:36 PM

Olivia de Havilland after she made this shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2013 3:35 PM

R65 and r71 are just giving me a headache!

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2013 3:44 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2013 3:56 PM

Charleton Heston. As a kid, The Omega Man, Planet Of the Apes, and such and then he went off the deep end.

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2013 4:16 PM

"I wonder about this, too. Acting is a minor talent, and yet actors are treated as if they're the marvels of the universe."

Well, 99.9999% of people watch movies and tv shows on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2013 4:43 PM

"Most of the limousine liberal types. After moving to Hwood and realizing the outrageous hypocrisy in what they say vs. what they do has a sort of creepy payoff to them, that they like being that fake because they're coked out and schizoid, I now actually have a suspicious feeling about most actors, definitely the ones telling me how to behave."

But I guess you don't mind the conservative ones who tell you how to behave, or the ones who endorse the Bible but have mistresses galore...

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2013 4:45 PM

Will Smith, and Warren Beatty who is a really bad actor but in the days of Bonnie and Clyde, Shampoo and Heaven Can Wait he was so gorgeous that nobody noticed. Also can't stand Jennifer Lopez. Her manager Benny Medina is the talented one in that career. Also Beyonce is all promotion, no real talent, but her looks and ex crack dealer husband keep her in the public eye. She is also a terrible dancer. She makes abrupt moves with her head but has no grace. Gwyneth I love because she is self destructing before our eyes.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2013 4:57 PM

Gwen Stefani. When I was young, I thought she was unique and quirky. Then, as I got older, I realized how No Doubt was actually the lamest of all the "alternative" bands that arose during the 90's. And it became apparent how Gwen is actually not particularly interesting or quirky. There were loads of other females in the 90's with more talent and who were more unique than Gwen, but No Doubt sold a TON of records, probably due to the blandness of their sound.

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2013 5:11 PM

No Doubt had 2 great songs: Just a Girl and Don't Speak. Other than that, their album I forget the title but these songs were in them, is unlistenable.

Watched one of their concerts and the only song I like was their cover of Obladi-Oblada. That got me worried about concerts at the time: were they always this lame?

-No, it really depends on the band.

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2013 5:39 PM

R81 - that wasn't my point! They're assholes too! I don't care about their 'political polarity'!

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2013 9:04 PM

R86, it's funny, their only song I like is "Don't Speak" and that was played into the oblivion. It was the number one airplay song for about 14 weeks, I think? Just a Girl is like a lame fake-ska version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. And Cyndi Lauper was much quirkier and talented than Gwen Stefani ever was.

by Anonymousreply 84November 9, 2013 12:10 AM

You are right, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is better. And, to add to the obscure relationships thread, her husband was in High Art. Very funny in that, too.

by Anonymousreply 85November 9, 2013 9:04 AM

Brittney. Fat, lifeless performer who does not dance but merely struts from place to place on the stage and sits for very long intervals to catch her breath.

by Anonymousreply 86November 9, 2013 9:10 AM

John Travolta. Used to love him, now I think he's just a pathetic liar who is clinging to the closet.

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2013 4:38 PM

Jackie Gleason. He was hilarious in the "Classic Honeymooners" series, but I found him less and less funny the older he became. His last few movies were wretched. He was great in "THE HUSTLER" as a serious dramatic actor.

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2013 4:58 PM

Morgan Freeman.

He's a fucking pervert, so I hope his new movie tanks.

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2013 5:02 PM

Tim Burton

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2013 5:12 PM

$33,000 in it's first 2 wks.

I'd say the old farts are tanking.

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2013 5:26 PM

I was a Lucille Ball fan until stories about her cruel, despicable behavior toward her co-stars and guest stars surfaced. After she became "Queen Bee" in television, she became an unbearable, cruel and arrogant cunt. No wonder Desi fucked around with other women. How could he fuck an iceberg? When she aged and became more caricature, she became more hateful and abusive. I think she slapped a stewardess and heard she was abusive to her hairdressers. "Mame" had to be a nightmare for all involved. Some of the big stars never know when to quit, or at least age gracefully into character roles. She was one of them, as evidenced by her failed sitcom in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2013 5:10 AM

Sean Connery - a good Bond to be sure, but he turned out to be a nasty wife beating self absorbed jackass and I can't help thinking about who he is when I seen him on film.

by Anonymousreply 93November 11, 2013 6:49 AM

I think Lucille Ball threw ta cup f coffee at a stewardess. Maybe she slapped another?

After her career wound down and she would appear on various talk shows, she came across as a shrewish, cold bitch most the time...I still remember her rudeness towards Valerie Harper on Dinah Shore's talk show...the stories of her bitchery after her death weren't such a surprise.

Obviously a very bitter, unhappy woman. The one I feel sympathy for is Gary Morton.

by Anonymousreply 94November 11, 2013 7:15 AM

Pierce Brosnan. The fat wife thing doesn't bother me, but that awful pic he drew for the new CALIF license plates to get your animals spayed and neutered is awful.

Purple dog plate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 11, 2013 7:30 AM

"Sean Connery - a good Bond to be sure, but he turned out to be a nasty wife beating self absorbed jackass and I can't help thinking about who he is when I seen him on film."

The man is TEFLON. He did awful things but people still see him as this wonderful legend.

by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2013 5:00 PM

by Anonymousreply 97November 11, 2013 5:27 PM

Joan Crawford. Was fascinated by her padded-shouldered melodrama as a child. As I grew up, though, I could see the bitch in her just barely under the surface in almost every movie role.

by Anonymousreply 98November 11, 2013 5:37 PM

Because of my age (b. 1961), I never liked Katharine Hepburn or John Wayne. They seemed starchy, elderly, and preachy. I can appreciate some of Hepburn's early work, but her 70-80's period was really unappealing. John Wayne maybe I could watch if the movie was good, but he is similar to her in my book - past century dinosaurs, no where as interesting as Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Montgomery Clift, Marlon Brando, etc. Hepburn also went down several notches for authorizing that bitchy book to come out from her housekeeper after she died ... what a cunt.

As for other modern stars who also grew old and disappointed: Ryan O'Neal (drug addict, wife beater), Burt Reynolds (closeted, angry), Barbra Streisand (The Guilt Trip?), Robert DeNiro (Meet the Fockers), Al Pacino (working with Adam Sandler), Dianne Keaton (silly choices).

by Anonymousreply 99November 11, 2013 6:01 PM

Marlon Brando. what a horrible human being.

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2013 7:19 PM

I saw Lucille Ball interact with Gary Morton once around 1984 in NYC. She treated him like hired help. While Lucy told everyone there how much she valued Gary, the next minute or so always seemed to tell a very different story.

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2013 7:33 PM

Melissa Joan Hart (for obvious reasons). No, she's not some big star but lots of kids my age watched her Nickelodeon show and then Sabrina. So yeah, definitely her.

by Anonymousreply 102November 11, 2013 8:05 PM

Cheyenne Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2013 8:12 PM

I'm probably a bit older than R108, but I grew up watching Lisa Whelchel, Kirk Cameron, Scott Baio and Ricky Schroeder and never would have thought they'd turn out the way they did. Hell, throw the Coreys in there too.

by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2013 8:19 PM

"I'm probably a bit older than R108, but I grew up watching Lisa Whelchel, Kirk Cameron, Scott Baio and Ricky Schroeder and never would have thought they'd turn out the way they did"

Who thought Chachi and Blair would turn out to be such freeper assholes? They seemed harmless at the time.

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2013 8:27 PM

Where is there anyone close to a Hollywood star mentioned by r108 ,r109 or r110?

Tween supporting actors on terrible television sitcoms were "Stars"? Was the realization of puberty too much for y'all or when exactly did these firmaments dim?

by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2013 8:41 PM

Jessica Lange got so affected.

by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2013 8:41 PM

I disagree about Scott Baio, R114. I don't think he's misguided, just an asshole. And I never could figure out why anyone thought he was hot. Same with Cameron. Both were almost ugly.

by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2013 9:14 PM

R105, don't forget that Ryan O'Neal screwed Melanie Griffith and she was one of Tatum's friends. Oh, and he apparently punched Tatum when he found out she was nominated for Paper Moon. Oh, and at Farah Fawcett's funeral, he hit on a Swedish woman. Well, she was Swedish until she said " Daddy, it's me, Tatum!". What a screwed up man.

by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2013 9:16 PM

Lisa W is not a freeper.

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2013 9:32 PM

I disagree on Brad Pitt. I think he's become more interesting as he's aged. He's done interesting roles, and though he's a very mediocre actor, he's challenging himself at a time when most actors of his age and status (see: Cruise, Depp, Smith, Clooney) put into auto drive and just collect huge paydays.

by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2013 9:35 PM

R120 - That doesn't make her a freeper. Lisa dumped her fundie hubby and has grown a great deal recently.

by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2013 9:40 PM

it saddens me to say... Kevin Spacey. He was so sexy and mysterious, and now his whole presence is tired and elitist.

by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2013 9:43 PM

Lisa Whelchel is publically pro life which is one of the reasons I love her.

by Anonymousreply 114November 11, 2013 9:52 PM

R123 - I think her ex is gay too. I don't know for sure.

Lisa left him about the time she was on Survivor. She was going through a lot back then.

by Anonymousreply 115November 11, 2013 10:00 PM

I think after

by Anonymousreply 116November 11, 2013 10:07 PM

I like Jodie as a person, but I really thought she would have a dynamic adult acting career like Meryl Streep. She seemed a little cuckoo at the Golden Globes, and it would have been so much easier for everyone involved if she had simply used less words ("I am a lesbian and it's no big deal but I am happy to say it tonight"). Maybe she'll do something impressive again (acting or directing).

Kathleen Turner ... wow, I used to love her. She was a really big movie star. It's great that she came back and triumphed on Broadway, and this makes me admire her again.

Debra Winger ... she is kind of in the Jodie category. I really thought she would have a long, interesting acting career. Maybe being too difficult or aloof has its price?

Meryl has only gotten brighter, and this is really rare.

by Anonymousreply 117November 11, 2013 10:30 PM

R128 - Have you seen A Perfect Family with Kathleen?

by Anonymousreply 118November 11, 2013 10:32 PM

I have not seen "A Perfect Family."

I wish I had seen Kathleen Turner on stage in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" -- that seemed like a genuine triumph for her, and it's really hard to make a comeback in show biz.

Throw Mel Gibson on to the sad "throw away" pile. I loved him in "Gallipoli" and "The Year of Living Dangerously," but then he started making those Lethal Weapon movies and any sex appeal or real potential went right out the window. Then he became really vile, and to this day he has not recovered (he may never; talk about screwing the pooch).

Oddly, Julia Roberts is going up in appeal again.

by Anonymousreply 119November 11, 2013 10:45 PM

R130 - In A Perfect Family, Kathleen plays a Catholic woman who is up for an award from her church. She is trying to convince the award committee and herself that she has the perfect family, and in doing so she makes a hypocrite of herself and alienates herself from her family.

Kathleen is really good in the role.

by Anonymousreply 120November 11, 2013 10:55 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 121November 11, 2013 10:59 PM

"Kirk is a scumbag of the first degree"

He also bullied anorexic Tracey Gold about her weight. So Christ-like!

by Anonymousreply 122November 11, 2013 11:00 PM

R133 - Kirk also got his co-star Julie McCullough fired because she posed for playboy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 11, 2013 11:05 PM

Michael Jackson

Michelle Pfeiffer

Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 124November 11, 2013 11:07 PM

More on that. Howard Stern interviewing Julie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 11, 2013 11:09 PM

Op, I have made similar posts regarding the mannered, studied and wooden performances of Katharine H. I GOT EXCORIATED. Good Luck here at the temple of Kate.

P.S. Meryl is what Kate should have been.

by Anonymousreply 126November 11, 2013 11:25 PM

Always a dip shit loser rears its ugly head R50

by Anonymousreply 127November 11, 2013 11:34 PM

Benicio Del Toro - he was fun to watch until about five years ago

John Cusack - he is an 80s movie icon and held up well in the 90s and then sort of just faded away

Giovanni Ribisi - he always stood out in smaller, smart roles and then something inexplicable happened - Scientology?

by Anonymousreply 128November 12, 2013 12:36 AM

I believe Ribisi is a CO$ lifer. Born and raised.

by Anonymousreply 129November 12, 2013 1:52 AM

Maybe there's a thread idea - stars who got brighter as you got older. As they did too.

by Anonymousreply 130November 12, 2013 2:00 AM

Clooney lost his luster. I still like his real life personality but he's the same in every role he plays and got so old looking.

by Anonymousreply 131November 12, 2013 3:09 AM

George is following Meryl in the only getting brighter category. He produces and acts in worthwhile projects, and he uses his celebrity wisely. Brad Pitt and his production company are also really respected.

Johnny Depp is in a strange place ... I can't remember the last time that I paid to see him in a film and thought he was really good.

Will Smith is kind of tanking. Big time.

Tom Cruise works hard and helps employ a lot of people, but he is odd and I think his fame is on autopilot. I would love to hear the haggling when David Miscavige asks his business manager for money.

by Anonymousreply 132November 12, 2013 4:20 AM

Johnny Depp Meryl Streep Julia Roberts Pacino&DeNiro

1. Shirley MacLaine yecchhh

by Anonymousreply 133November 12, 2013 4:40 AM

This B+ list mostly movie actress who used to be A list back in the day and still has A list name recognition from some of the greatest movies ever got so hammered on a recent flight that flight attendants thought she might have died. They tried to rouse her several times over the course of the flight but it took almost two hours before she was able to open her eyes. An hour later when the plane landed the actress had to be helped off the plane but refused a wheelchair and stumbled along to baggage claim. Sigourney Weaver

by Anonymousreply 134November 12, 2013 4:41 AM

by Anonymousreply 135November 12, 2013 4:47 AM

Wouldn't that be Lange, R145? I can't picture Weaver getting shitfaced in public.

by Anonymousreply 136November 12, 2013 4:52 AM

Except Jessica Lange is D list for movies. Smoker and a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 137November 12, 2013 4:58 AM

R145

Guyssh, could thishh have been me??

by Anonymousreply 138November 12, 2013 4:43 PM

Blythe Danner, for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 139November 27, 2013 11:10 PM

Robert De Niro. Meryl Streep. Al Pacino.

They are now whores who trade on their past reputation to make a fast buck making crappy movies.

Still have a fondness for Jessica Lange. Sure, she's doing television. She still brings an integrity, humanity and commitment to her performances.

by Anonymousreply 140November 28, 2013 12:21 AM

Jessica Lange is better because she is doing a Ryan Murphy show? That's rich.

by Anonymousreply 141November 28, 2013 12:23 AM

[bold]Which Hollywood star dimmed in your eyes as you got older?[/bold]

Robin Williams.

I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s. He was thrilling and inventive. Jonathan Winters was his inspiration.

Williams became difficult for me to tolerate.

All this is me referring to his standup comedy. I think his quality acting took over and he lost it as a comedian. Now with his CBS comedy series, [italic]The Crazy Ones[/italic], he is unwatchable. So is most of that show.

by Anonymousreply 142November 28, 2013 2:47 AM

Streisand. I was obsessed with her as a kid. Her early albums and FUNNY GIRL, COLOR ME BARBRA on TV are landmarks of musical entertainment. As a singer, Garland was her only peer (Mary!). I used to think there was nothing she could not do.

Since the '80s she's steadily frittered away her early promise as an actress and her recordings became shlock. Nowadays if she produces something of quality it seems like an accident.

She abandoned Tiffany and Art Deco for Thomas Kinkaide and a cutesie basement Ye Olde Shopping Malle.

by Anonymousreply 143November 28, 2013 5:26 AM

R145, as I read that, I was guessing Sarandon, not Weaver.

by Anonymousreply 144November 28, 2013 5:34 AM

Being a Baby Boomer, I try not to judge the previous generations with current politically correct standards. After reading biography after biography, the Golden Age actors were racist and reactionary by today's standards, yet were more enlightened than the general US population. As previously noted, it's best to appreciate the performance---not the personal views---of the actor.

Ava Gardner and Judy Garland have only increased in luminosity with passing time, despite their personal problems.

by Anonymousreply 145November 28, 2013 11:54 AM

Definitely Mel Gibson, followed by Tom Cruise. It's hard to like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 146November 28, 2013 12:11 PM

Natalie Wood. Beautiful but couldn't act her way out of a bag.

by Anonymousreply 147February 24, 2014 5:14 AM

Babs

by Anonymousreply 148February 24, 2014 6:21 AM

Barbara Walters

by Anonymousreply 149February 24, 2014 6:40 AM

Michael Jackson brightened in my eyes as I got older.

by Anonymousreply 150May 2, 2014 7:16 AM

I used to idolize Marilyn Monroe and even got her face tattooed on my arm, but now I'm removing it because she was a negative person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 2, 2014 7:42 AM

OP must have horrible tastes! Hepburn is wonderful and a delight to look at, any age, any film. The only timeless legend with distinct personnality and appeal that influenced entire generations of women. One of a kind who'll never be matched. Watch her movies and be quiet, OP!

by Anonymousreply 152May 2, 2014 11:39 AM

R145 Come on, who can really picture Sigourney Weaver doing that?

by Anonymousreply 153May 2, 2014 11:53 AM

[quote]OP must have horrible tastes! Hepburn is wonderful and a delight to look at, any age, any film. The only timeless legend with distinct personnality and appeal that influenced entire generations of women. One of a kind who'll never be matched. Watch her movies and be quiet, OP!

True.

There'll never be any actor quite as bad as her.

by Anonymousreply 154May 2, 2014 12:04 PM

Oprah. What a disappointment as she got older. Crappy network and reduced herslf to begging for an Oscar nomination. She should have done like Greta Garbor after her talk show went off the air and just disappeared. I believe many people in the industry lost respect for her. She lost her aura.

Janet Jackson. Everyone lost respect for her after the superbowl stunt. She fell off hard and never could recover. Literally destroyed everything she worked hard for all those years just by exposing a titty.

Whitney Houston. Had the world at her feet but destroyed it beause of a crack pipe. I think she even more than Michael was the biggest let down.

by Anonymousreply 155May 2, 2014 12:10 PM

[quote]I agree with OP's choice of Kate Hepburn. Made myself like her because everyone kept hailing her as great throughout her career and I tried to really think she must be but --- truthfully, she always irritated me -- and, now, seeing some of those films from the 40s and 50s and 60s --hate most of them now. Very over-rated actress.

This sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 156May 2, 2014 12:13 PM

Used to like George Clooney, now I feel like vomiting when I just see his face.

by Anonymousreply 157May 2, 2014 12:17 PM

Patty Duke which makes and made me very sad

by Anonymousreply 158May 2, 2014 12:23 PM

[quote]Janet Jackson. Everyone lost respect for her after the superbowl stunt. She fell off hard and never could recover. Literally destroyed everything she worked hard for all those years just by exposing a titty.

It was so unfair how she was maligned, but Timberlake was let off the hook.

Former FCC Chairman Admits Janet Jackson Was Treated “Unfairly” After Super Bowl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 2, 2014 12:28 PM

[166] Agree with you regarding Oprah. She has truly become a Brand, although she has had many admirable accomplishments. It happened for me when she went on her world - wide hissy fit because she had either not lost weight or gained weight leading her to feeling all left out for a milestone gathering for Tina Turner a few years ago. She flat out had a public pity party over this. It was all about Her and her insecurities over not feeling like one of the girls in her circle. Not much sympathy here.

Here's someone I hope doesn't dim and keeps going strong - Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I think he's immensely multi-talented, innovative and has the potential to be a major future influence beyond acting. He's taken risks with roles, we'll educated. Seems to have vision for the industry. Keeping my fingers crossed. Love his attitude.

by Anonymousreply 160May 2, 2014 12:47 PM

I always liked Whitney, even when she was completely fucked up and I wonder if she had not been born into a family of religious hypocrites her life would have gone in a different direction. That interview with her mother and Oprah gave me the chills. What a hatred filled woman her mother was/is.

by Anonymousreply 161May 2, 2014 12:55 PM

[quote]I agree with OP's choice of Kate Hepburn. Made myself like her because everyone kept hailing her as great throughout her career and I tried to really think she must be but --- truthfully, she always irritated me -- and, now, seeing some of those films from the 40s and 50s and 60s --hate most of them now. Very over-rated actress.

Preach, sistah!

by Anonymousreply 162May 2, 2014 1:05 PM

Martin Freeman (Sherlock, Fargo,The Hobbit) is a talented racist, sexist, homophobic asshole. I wish this wasn't the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 2, 2014 1:08 PM

Al Pacino.

Robert DeNiro.

Kate Hepburn has no place on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 164May 2, 2014 1:19 PM

the actors from films from the 30's & 40's look better and better as do those films themselves. Hepburn, Tracy, Brando etc., All leagues above most actors working today.

When M said on 60 minutes she thought actors were better today than in the golden era, I thought "this woman is permanently and totally full of shit"

by Anonymousreply 165May 2, 2014 1:23 PM

Look at Miss R175 telling us who should and shouldn't be on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 166May 2, 2014 2:40 PM

Gary Cooper was never much of an actor. He was a great physical presence, though. Aged gracefully too.

Totally concur about Pacino and DeNiro. Al got progressively hammier, and Bob got so much less selective about what he did. Their early work is still great.

by Anonymousreply 167May 2, 2014 3:04 PM

[quote]I am loving Meryl less and less with each picture.

Totally agree, and there was a time when I loved her. When a friend who is a Streep fan dragged me to see Doubt, I realized it had been a long time since I had gone to see a Streep movie.

by Anonymousreply 168May 2, 2014 3:10 PM

Perhaps not entirely fitted to this thread, but I totally agree about Katherine Hepburn. The more I see of her the more I feel she is just completely overrated.

by Anonymousreply 169May 2, 2014 3:22 PM

Brando. His his horrible personal life, and obesity ruined him. He became a caricature of himself.

James Franco and Lady Gaga. I cannot believe what is considered art today. God those two are morons.

by Anonymousreply 170May 2, 2014 3:28 PM

For me definitely Robert DeNiro. As a teenager I was obseesed with the man. I really thought he was the greatest American actor who ever lived. As I got older and rewatched his films I realized what a ham he was and sorta one note. Watching the Godfather Part II again I felt that Al Pacino's performance was more deserving of the Oscar than DeNiro's wooden performance. I'm not saying he is a bad actor but as time goes by you really see how overrated he is. His last great performance was in Raging Bull. Everything else was downhill from there. All his movie roles today are down right embarrassing. I was watching Angel Heart the other day on Netflix and Mickey Rourke blew him off the screen.

by Anonymousreply 171May 2, 2014 3:44 PM

obsessed

by Anonymousreply 172May 2, 2014 3:47 PM

R87, then why begin your post with limosine liberals?

by Anonymousreply 173May 2, 2014 5:39 PM

Vilma Banky and Rod La Rocque.

by Anonymousreply 174May 2, 2014 5:45 PM

I don't, R101. I can't help it when I see him on screen, his nasty personality is all I see.

by Anonymousreply 175May 2, 2014 5:56 PM

I thought The Fonz was so fucking hot!

Then I turned 15.

And started noticing the double chin and the fact that Henry Wrinkler sounds like a nice Jewish Mom.

by Anonymousreply 176May 2, 2014 5:59 PM

Interesting how seldom Bette Davis is mentioned here. She kept working until the end with several very serious illnesses, and died in Paris a few days after receiving a life-time achievement award in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 177May 2, 2014 6:11 PM

R164, it's possible that she took something for the flight and didn't realize the effects with alcohol or had a bad reaction to some other medication with alcohol.

Years ago, I was on allergy medication in college and after a single beer, they had to practically carry me to the car.

by Anonymousreply 178May 2, 2014 6:13 PM

Meryl owns this thread. Shirley McClaine never could act, always plays the same snarky, somewhat bitchy character; she can be entertaining at times, but a little bit goes a ong way. Cruise--no acting ability. Gibson--always hyper in all his roles, no real talent. The only movie I ever liked Katharine Hepburn in is The Lion in Winter--and I think I liked that for the music more than anything. Never got Audrey Hepburn at all. Can't stand Gene "I am in love with myself" Kelly. Danny Kaye always hammed it up. I thought most of Joan Crawford's movies were good; she may not be a great actress, but she was pretty darn good in Mildred Pierce. Doris Day is a very good actress but rarely realized her potential. Even Helen Mirren made this comment. I know people will disagree, but I really don't think Judy Garland is that great in A Star Is Born. She is quite hammy and overdone in many scenes, and that long scene in the beach house where she sings and dons pieces of clothing is unwatchable. When I first saw this movie, I thought it was great, but it does not hold up for me. Nearly everything with Elizabeth Taylor. Ugh. Good in A Place in the Sun, though.

by Anonymousreply 179May 2, 2014 6:13 PM

Mel Gibson & Tom Cruise. And Nicolas Cage.

by Anonymousreply 180May 2, 2014 6:16 PM

Bette's career had phases, and her latter life was no picnic with the illnesses. But throughout, she didn't stint or phone anything in. Her best stuff still holds up. Even the not so great scripts (The Great Lie, A Stolen Life) still look better than they were, thanks to her.

I'd say Barbara Stanwyck is another whose rep is not diminished to me.

by Anonymousreply 181May 2, 2014 6:17 PM

[quote]Interesting how seldom Bette Davis is mentioned here. She kept working until the end with several very serious illnesses, and died in Paris a few days after receiving a life-time achievement award in Spain.

That's why. She did it the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 182May 2, 2014 6:21 PM

Still love Katharine Hepburn and Gary Cooper. No apologies; No second thoughts. They, particularly Miss Hepburn were in a class by themselves.

She was much beloved by fellow actors. And he was a real star, who wasn't involved in major scandals.

by Anonymousreply 183May 2, 2014 6:29 PM

Bette David and Barbara Stanwyck are two of the finest actresses of all time.

Even in weaker scripts, you could not stop watching them, but I can't exactly even think of any weaker scripts.

These are 2 to study if one wants to become an actor.

by Anonymousreply 184May 2, 2014 6:33 PM

I worked with Robert Mitchum as well and he was was the farthest thing from homo....just the opposite in fact. BS to whomever is claiming this as fact....

by Anonymousreply 185May 2, 2014 6:35 PM

I think real-life Bette Davis was a complete asshole. Ditto: Marlene Dietrich, Sinatra, Peter Sellers, John Phillips, Jackie Gleason, Joan Fontaine, Oprah, Nic Cage, Ryan O'Neal, Tom Hanks, Chevy Chase - just a bunch nasty socipaths, like show biz is filled with. It's probably easier to list the exceptions.

Another one I'll add is Mary Tyler Moore. I read an interview once - just about her only comment about her 27 year old son who'd just committed suicide was, "You give them everything but nothing is ever good enough for them." WTF?

Vanessa Redgrave also seemed unmoved after her daughter Natasha died. I read an interview soon after (she was doing a play) and the only Natasha comment was, "Ah Natasha - she was the merry one."

I also read an interview of Natasha once where she told about a dinner party where someone asked Vanessa what she thought about meeting the Dalai Lama at an event - or maybe it was Bill Clinton - some mega-person. Anyway, Vanessa said, "Dahling, all that matters is what he thought of ME!!!" (Natasha remarked, "Can you imagine what I've put up with all these years?")

Jane Fonda for becoming a God-damned Southern Baptist in her dotage. I always knew she was an airhead but give me a fucking break. And Republican-donor Joan Rivers - I loved her till I found that out. Ginger Rogers was a Repug too but it was a different age so that doesn't bother me as much as the current batch of wingnuts - but after 1940, Ginger went from being luminescent and just a joy to behold to being a mannered, prissy, over-bedazzled hag.

Always found Gene Kelly, Mickey Rooney, Van Johnson, Angelina Jolie, and Beyonce disgusting, for one reason or another (hammy, dumb, narcissistic)... I could go on all day. I think I'll try to make a list of who I do like (that won't take long)

by Anonymousreply 186May 2, 2014 6:42 PM

Cooper did not age gracefully, R178. When he was cast to play opposite a young Audrey Hepburn in Love in the Afternoon, he had aged very badly. He looked out of place next to her and the film never did well because of it.

by Anonymousreply 187May 2, 2014 7:03 PM

Cooper had a facelift in the late 1950s. This was front page news--see link below.

It didn't seem to have much effect, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188May 2, 2014 9:30 PM

Jon Voight. To see him for the first time in "Midnight Cowboy" was instant erection for me. It was all downhill from there.

His politics drove in the final nail years ago.

by Anonymousreply 189May 2, 2014 11:13 PM

Jack Nicholson has been a big disappointment. I loved him in some of his earlier movies, then he began playing the same character every time. That got old fast.

I've seen Gene Kelly mentioned several times in this thread. I never cared for him as an actor, partly because his voice bothered me. I always thought he was terrible in romantic scenes, but his performance of Rhapsody in Blue in American in Paris is sublime.

Jessica Lange may be a wonderful actress, but I've never been able to get past her voice. I can't stand when grown women talk like little girls.

by Anonymousreply 190May 3, 2014 12:25 AM

Brad Pitt

DiCaprio

Depp

Whitney

by Anonymousreply 191December 1, 2018 10:46 AM

Elizabeth Taylor

by Anonymousreply 192December 1, 2018 10:46 AM

Jimmy Stewart - I was really disappointed to read allegations he was a racist.

Susan Sarandon - I remember when she was new and fresh. Now she is so tedious.

Nicolas Cage, but really, his star started dimming when I was still fairly young.

Emma Thompson

by Anonymousreply 193December 2, 2018 5:28 AM

Sandra Bullock - I always liked her personality in interviews and even in behind the scenes commentaries on DVDs but I never got over her marriage to Jessie James. I don't believe she didn't know something about his Nazi fetish.

by Anonymousreply 194December 2, 2018 5:47 AM

Robert Mitchum was a homophobe of long standing and supposedly once while drunk propositioned 2 men. ALso on the set of river of no return Mitchum made a joke to marilyn monroe about having a 3 way with her, with another guy......maybe co star rory calhoun. So his thoughts I dont think were entirely conventional.

My take is Mitchum had long standing issues with gayness probably concealing his own desires. I wouldnt be surprised if the chronic alcoholism and drug use was related/ I think people that would find this speculation absurd are getting the mitchum movie image mixed up with the private person.

by Anonymousreply 195December 3, 2018 12:22 AM

Streep was once my favorite actress. Then she became La Streep, rather than an actress, and she just played herself playing someone else, with a big degree of archness and self-consciousness. Can't stand her now,

by Anonymousreply 196December 3, 2018 12:28 AM

Johnny Carson. I grew up with his Tonight Show, so it was automatic that I thought him funny and charming.

Now I realize he was a horrible, damaged human being who was a monster to everyone around him, and he stole about 90% of his act from Jack Benny.

by Anonymousreply 197December 3, 2018 12:43 AM

Doris day , loved her as a kid and young homo, but when I found out about the size of her clit I could listen/watch her,

by Anonymousreply 198December 3, 2018 1:02 AM

Bob Hope owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 199December 3, 2018 1:21 AM

Hollywood columnist James Bacon used to tell about the time Mitchum was being interviewed by two obviously gay writers who were both flirting with him outrageously during the interview. Finally, Mitchum stood, began unzipping his pants and asked "Which one of you wants to go first?".

by Anonymousreply 200December 3, 2018 1:27 AM

R190, when did Jessica Lange ever talk like a little girl? Her voice is low and throaty from all that smoking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 3, 2018 1:28 AM

Streisand, especially as she got older during the past 6 years.

The last time she and her face still had maturity, integrity and the beauty of a life well lived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 3, 2018 1:32 AM

R167, Cooper did not age gracefully at all, even after a facelift in his fifties he looked haggard. He did have a huge cock, though, but no ass. As Clara Bow once remarked, "Poor Gary, all that cock and nothing to push it with." .

by Anonymousreply 203December 3, 2018 1:36 AM

R192, Ridiculous. Elizabeth became a true humanitarian after her film career ended.

by Anonymousreply 204December 3, 2018 1:45 AM

Meryl, Al Pacino, Robert de Niro. They are basically on auto-pilot now, doing their tired schtick and happily cashing their checks.

by Anonymousreply 205December 3, 2018 1:45 AM

Meg Ryan just phones it in and doesn't seem to even like acting anymore. Not to mention what she's done to her face. Plus, she works out so much she has that weird thing going on with her veiny arms.

But, it's not really about how she looks. It's her crappy attitude that comes across in her movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206December 3, 2018 1:46 AM

I agree with Katharine Hepburn, although I disagree she got better with age. My favorite of all her films are from the 3s, particularly Alice Adams, Bringing Up Baby, and Stage Door. After 1941, the only films I really like her in are The African Queen and Long Day's Jounrey into Night. She gives a very phony and overrated performance in The Lion in Winter.

by Anonymousreply 207December 3, 2018 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!